[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/btg/ - Battletech General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 49

File: keep-calm-and-pilot-mechs-2.png (32KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-pilot-mechs-2.png
32KB, 600x700px
"How to Survive the Jihad" Edition

Old Thread: >>48981600

================================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

(Haha!) TtS: Butte Hold
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5ggig1wz21l8r0/
E-CAT35SN210_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Butte_Hold.pdf

================================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
is there any way to make alpha strike more entertaining

i get that the idea is to get away from taxauditwarrior but shit is super boring, everything dies in four hits or less
>>
>>49067584
The Companion. It adds formation stuff and special pilot rules and whatnot.

If that doesn't work, it's unlikely you'll ever find the game interesting.
>>
>>49067648
we were playing with that. oh well.
>>
File: It is its own Heavy Woods.png (50KB, 960x1540px) Image search: [Google]
It is its own Heavy Woods.png
50KB, 960x1540px
I made a thing. Wanted to make something that could annoy gausswalls without going dual gauss as well....it atleast shoots plasma from its face so that's neat.
>>
>>49067584
Triple the AS armor values. AS divides weapon damage by 10, but armor by 30.
>>
File: 1294546999224.gif (135KB, 540x606px) Image search: [Google]
1294546999224.gif
135KB, 540x606px
>>49068423
>the cheese race is real
I like making high tech nightmares too, but sometimes I just have to shake my head at all of it.
>>
>>49068820
My best counters to that thing are essentially modified Uziel-8S with VSPLs and AES. Also thermobarics.
>>
File: Mackie 9FA.png (40KB, 646x903px) Image search: [Google]
Mackie 9FA.png
40KB, 646x903px
>>49069447
>laughingSLDFArtillerycommand.png
8 shots of Davy Crockett say hello. If I can't have the planet, then no one will.
>>
Is there a Mackie with Masc? I want one, because reasons.
vodka is the reason
>>
>>49069616
There isn't a problem the Light of Blake can't fix. Especially a fat spaceman with 8 packages of Light.
>>
File: Mackie 11V.png (40KB, 655x895px) Image search: [Google]
Mackie 11V.png
40KB, 655x895px
>>49069750
God help me, I've made your Vodkabomination. It gains a whopping 1 MP for that MASC, and loses the BAP, GECM and 2 extra tons of GR ammo I had on it previously.
>>
>>49069884
Thank you kindly, I don't know why I was rolling random forces for a Megamek match and the idea just came into my head.

I should probably eat something.
>>
File: SSGOMAD IS FOR PLEBS.png (46KB, 960x1540px) Image search: [Google]
SSGOMAD IS FOR PLEBS.png
46KB, 960x1540px
>>49069934
>>49069750
Always listen to Vice Admiral Vodka! He has many good ideas, many terrible and nonsensical ones too, but many good ideas nonetheless.

>who puts hardened armor on light mechs?
>people that listen to the spirits of dead tanks, thats who!
>>
>>49070139
Holy fuck does that look fun to play.
>>
>>49068259

It's ok, anon. Modern fast-play games aren't supposed to be fun. They're supposed to entertain millenianals during the 6.5 minutes they can tear themselves away from their cell phones and social media. In-depth thought and analysis is hard, so they aren't required, and so there's no sense of reward for doing well. Just pick up the dice and roll; you won't have to use any numbers bigger than you can add or subtract on your hands.

Really, that sort of game is a tacit admission that a 30+ minute playtime for a <real> game extends beyond the average American attention span by a good 20 minutes.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6stxR2U5L8
>>
>>49071605
I wondered how long it would take people to figure this one out. See guys, this is why you slap hardened armor on light mechs, use them as bait!
>>
>>49070990
>goddamn you kids get off my lawn
0/10
>>
So I've been invited to play a Battletech game, where should I start in looking to play well?
>>
File: Rogue RG-G3.png (56KB, 608x839px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue RG-G3.png
56KB, 608x839px
>>49070139
Inspired me to do some random late-night 'Mechmaking. I kinda like this little dude. Also sort of shocked the name "Rogue" isn't taken for a BattleMech yet.
>>
>>49072624
What era? Do you know? Do you have any other details for us? Are you being given a force to use or do you need to choose it yourself?

>looking to play well
That comes with time I'm afraid. All I can advise you to do is be mindful of terrain and your heat levels, and try to move tactically so as not to be flanked/backstabbed by fast units. Don't be too hasty to mix it up unless you have a lot of short-range units; picking away at range can be nice for two reasons:
>it picks your opponent apart slowly and forces them to consider if closing with you is a good idea
>expends ammunition that might cook off in a brawl, which is very inconvenient
Plus, if you have any ranged energy weapons, well you might as well fire them as often as you can since no ammo. Just mind your heat levels, as I said. You'll learn the rest like bracket fire and whatnot with time.

Welcome to the game, by the way.
>>
>>49072794
There are eras? Holy shit, what have I gotten myself into. brb gonna ask about the particulars of this campaign
>>
>>49072794
>>49072855
Right, its Age of war, we'll be using classic BattleTech and its a Mechwarrior campaign. None of that means anything to me yet
>>
>>49072925
Okay, so you will probably have a single 'Mech for your character that you control, and likely won't get to choose it, or will have to choose it from a list.

Okay, now is it set during the Age of War, or is the edition you're playing called "A Time of War"? This is important because the former means your BattleMech selections will be very limited, though it will take place in an interesting period of time. The latter means that I know a good deal less about what you're getting into because I only know the tabletop miniature game, not the RPG system.
>>
>>49072992
I have a book labeled A time of war, so my assumption is that im playing the RPG
>>
>>49073049
Ah, alright then. Sadly some other anon is going to have to help you with that one; I know basically nothing about that. Hope someone else is around this late.
>>
>>49073080
Well thanks anyway, I'll hang around here for a bit while I read through this huge tome
>>
>>49070139
>I could buy a demicompany of Stingers for the same price
>or three Awesome 8Q's

Jesus Marik-Steiner-Davion, I will never get used to the absurd costs of mechs in the modern era. Have they ever said about fixing any of that soon since a lot of that tech has been in production for almost a century in game?
>>
>>49072925
Age of War? Do you know what faction you're playing? A year would also help a lot, but the faction is the biggest thing to start. Also, if your GM is asking you play in the Era, did they provide you with Era Digest: Age of War, or just A Time of War?
>>
>>49073121
Cbills aren't balanced for shit, and the canon reasons behind it are as flimsy as a Hussar's armor. BV is really all you can look at for balance; Cbills are just there for flavor. But no, really, they don't do a very good job adjusting costs to reflect manufacture quantity/commonality of tech as eras progress.
>>
>>49073141
they're offline right now so I cant ask, but they gave me A time of war and Total Warfare
>>
>>49073147

But...C-bills are the primary (and ONLY) balancing mechanic in the just-released Campaign Companion! Doesn't that make C-bills the primary balancing mechanic?
>>
>>49073147
The thing that fucking sucks is merc pay doesn't go up with those costs over the eras. But I guess if it did, you could introtech swarm the hell out of anything you came accross.

Kinda weird they still use Cbills too. Does it even exist anymore now that C* is bankrupt? And didn't it tank in value after Gray Monday anyway? That's the problem with the whole wrecking the network thing they didn't really cover. And that got compounded after Levin killed what was left of the robes.
>>
File: First BattleMechs.png (259KB, 452x1058px) Image search: [Google]
First BattleMechs.png
259KB, 452x1058px
>>49073162
Hmm. Well if we're assuming late Age of War, so that you can actually pilot mechs, you're not looking at a wide variety. 2575 is the start of the Reunification War, so this chart shows what you would have possible access to. But without a little more information, I can't give anything definitive.

>>49073169
A shock! The only book devoted to accountantech is the only one to use C-Bills as a mechanic. C-Bills are not a balancing mechanic and never have been. I'd take tonnage balancing over that.

>>49073187
>Kinda weird they still use Cbills too. Does it even exist anymore now that C* is bankrupt?
It was vaguely abstracted as being used still since the C-Bill was the cost of transmitting something like 1mb of data over the HPG network, so it would still be in use even without a ComStar. The HPG Blackout however, has meant that Houses and other factions are paying in local currency, so get ready to get fucked over with exchange rates.
>>
>>49073227
yeah I'll get back to you when I have more information
>>
>>49073187
people still use dollars in the real world despite the fact that the spanish empire is no longer a thing
>>
>>49073227
>the CapCon invented the Thunderbolt
Hory shet really?
>>
>>49073227
The old definition of the CBill was the cost to transmit one page of fine text the pulse distance of one station. Which I guess would be like thirty kilobytes of data.

Imagine the cost to do all those crazy holofeeds and stuff the Successor Lords used to do.

>>49073269
The US dollar is not the Spanish dollar, completely different currency. Even the name Spanish dollar was a nickname for the 8 real.
>>
>>49073253
Good luck with the game, though hopefully your GM will give you more information. You're welcome to come back to us with more questions.

>>49073290
Fuck you roundeye! You think arr Caperrans act rike Maximirrian?

>>49073293
>Imagine the cost to do all those crazy holofeeds and stuff the Successor Lords used to do.
IIRC, one of the novels had the price of Katherine's direct line to Tharkad costing as much as an assault mech for a short conversation.
>>
>>49073321
I just didn't expect them to have created two of the best/most iconic troopers in the game. Honestly though, given their size and resource base, it makes sense.
>>
>>49073333
Yeah I'd always assumed it was an SLDF or Steiner design, personally.
>>
>>49073360
We always knew it predated the SLDF. I always figured it was Terran like the Mackie.
>>
>>49073293
that's my point, names stick even when currencies fade.
>>
>>49073333
>>49073360
The fluff goes all the way back to the old Capellan Housebook. The Earthwerks entry specifically mentions it starting on Tikonov and being responsible for the "distinctive Capellan Thunderbolt and Vindicator". Though at the same time Ceres has always been stated as the makers of the Vindicator, but at least not in the Ceres Metals info on the same page as the EW entry, so yeah.

I guess we just have to assume that over time EW just moved all the Thud production to elsewhere, or maybe the Thud line on Tikonov just got wrecked to accommodate the "Capellans can't build anything bigger than Vindicators after the 1SW" bit.
>>
>>49073696
The Tikonov line was still intact in 3025 IIRC. Pretty sure they made them on Grand Base too. I'd have to double check both of those, but I'm pretty confident they still made it at least at one location, even if the production runs were just Quintin Atlas factory levels.

Caps didn't have a lot of production in 3025 though. My list says.

Locust
Stinger
Vindicator
Wolverine
Rifleman
Thunderbolt
Cataphract
Victor
>>
>>49073227
>2500

Best year.
>>
>>49073877
The fluff has changed a bit over the years, and could be inconsistent in the first place. For instance it was stated the Capellans ended up not being able to produce mechs heavier than 60 tons like the Vindicator entry TRO 3025, but it also stated they had lost all but one mech production facility during the 1st SW, while the Liao housebook lists them having eight.

Nowadays it seems to be more vague and definitely states shortages but not necessarily complete lack of production capability. The 3039 Cataphract entry says "Carver V fell to the Free Worlds League in 2953, stripping the Capellan Confederation of vital heavy and assault BattleMech production lines" and "the Confederation found itself desperately short of heavy BattleMechs during the final years of the Third Succession War. " for example.
>>
>>49071605
Still waiting for his flamer Nova video.
>>
>>49075779
??? Details?
>>
>>49073877
Didn't the Caps have a Jägermech line as well? I could have sworn they were building it.
>>
>>49078291
>Jaegermech
But why? The mech is miserably terrible.
>>
>>49078410
>Capellans
>Not building terribad mechs
>Not getting fucked by FedSuns

Choose two and only two
>>
>>49072744
Its like a roided out Panther, I like it.
>>
File: Wasp WSP-4L.png (57KB, 700x813px) Image search: [Google]
Wasp WSP-4L.png
57KB, 700x813px
>>49079958
Thanks, I like strapping Hardened Armor to Light 'Mechs. Have the 1L Wasp variant made into a hoppy brawler. Split the SRM4 into twin SSRM2s to help with durability, but I may change it back since the SSRM4 has a better cluster table than twin 2s. A Wasp with Hardened Armor is gonna make anybody do a double-take.
>>
File: Gray Panther 2RL.png (39KB, 648x889px) Image search: [Google]
Gray Panther 2RL.png
39KB, 648x889px
>>49079958
Roided out Panther? I've got you.
>>
>>49078291

You're thinking of the Dracs.
>>
>>49081440
Streaks don't roll cluster, every missile hits.
>>
>>49081440
>tfw can tank PPCs in a 20 ton mech
>tfw not even gauss rifles can one shot a side torso.
I like this flying underweight commando.

>>49081648
CA you 'avin a giggle m8? I can understand the Large REEEE laser but the others, plz.
>>
>>49081440

This is the sort of thing I could see Sea Fox assisting in the creation of. A mixed tech version with a small cockpit can mount a partial wing for 6/8/8.

I'm gonna have to tinker with Hardened Lights just to see what kind of monsters I can come up with.
>>
Banshees are SLDF era right? So one wouldn't be out of place in a Davion lance circa 3025?
>>
File: Gray Panther 2G.png (42KB, 649x939px) Image search: [Google]
Gray Panther 2G.png
42KB, 649x939px
>>49083484
>CA you 'avin a giggle m8? I can understand the Large REEEE laser but the others, plz.
Muninn wanted an "advanced" variant of pic related, so I obliged. It actually isn't too bad. It just runs hot as fuck.

>>49084309
There were 5000 Banshees produced between 2475 and 2765. So yes, Banshees would be acceptable in the 3020s AFFS.
>>
>>49084309
If you reference >>49073227, you'll see it was the third 'mech design ever, so yeah, pretty old. Thousands produced, available to everyone, generally looked down on after the Age of War until the Lyrans started upgunning them.
>>
>>49084309
Banshees are found in second-line and milita units just about everywhere in 3025, so unless it's an elite unit, it'd be a normal enough thing to see
>>
>>49084385
>can't jump
not panther/10
>>
>>49070990
You sound angry. Like some kind of dinosaur.
>>
File: Dragon DRG-7R.png (47KB, 653x980px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon DRG-7R.png
47KB, 653x980px
>>49084520
They're gutted hulks left behind by the Word or given to the Republic with Dieron. The same with my jumping Dragon. Basically, the DCMS gives up mechs, but they're the frame, engine and cockpit, with no weapons. Solely to troll Stone and get concessions from the Republic.
>>
>>49084437
An assault mech in militia units? was the banshee that bad?
>>
>>49084385
Yeah I would take your original design over the REEEE. But I am a heavy proponent of Snubbies and MMLs plasma rifles are justice too

I would like to see half tonnages for all ammunition, just like MGs. Why isn't this a thing yet? We can stick two bins of ammo into a super heavy but we cant have half bins for anything else?
>>
>>49085026
the banshee 3E has a ppc, ac5, and sl.

so yes, emphatically yes.
>>
>>49085026
The original -3Q model was, yes. Making a 95-tonner go 4/6 without an XL engine requires some pretty serious sacrifices in firepower; one PPC and an AC/5 (arguably the second-worst weapon in the game), with NO secondaries would be bad on a 55 tonner, let alone 95, and their minimum range is a serious issue, since the only thing the banshee is genuinely good at is kicking mechs to death, but it's main weapons can't hit for shit at that range.
There's still a reasonable amount of potential for a custom job that doesn't involve changing the engine, though; replacing the AC/5 with pretty much anything will help
>>
>>49085026
>>49085320
Durr, -3E, not-3Q. Dunno where I got that from
>>
File: Banshee 3EG.png (39KB, 649x916px) Image search: [Google]
Banshee 3EG.png
39KB, 649x916px
>>49085320
It's a fat Grasshopper, and you love it.
>>
>>49083376
Yeah, I'm an oldfag. I make that mistake sometimes for some reason its because I'm a grog who also likes newer era stuff but is forgetful.

>>49081648
I was actually gonna do a Stinger 3G refit with Hardened Armor, twin R-e MLs, 6/8/6. Maybe I still will?
>no JJs
Me or my son, etc.

>>49083484
>flying underweight Commando
... and really, that's what it is. Huh. Well, huzzah?

>>49083724
>partial wing
You, I like you.

>>49084309
As has been said, Banshees are found everywhere, but the Steiners have the most, and have the best SW-era variant by a long shot. I am partial to the FWL version though myself. A fat, terrible Hunchback is what it really is.

>>49084567
>JumpDragon
>Gauss
MWO/10
>>
>>49085551
>MWO/10
Fun fact. I've played MWO for a sum total of maybe 12 hours, and I'm a founder. And that variant predates the game by a good 6 years.
>>
File: STEINER AS FUCK YO.png (870KB, 1113x824px) Image search: [Google]
STEINER AS FUCK YO.png
870KB, 1113x824px
>>49083724
"For an extra four mega-Kerenskies we'll slap a HarJel system on that bitch. You have to sign a waver refusing to bid it in contractual/sales disputes though"

>>49085026
>An assault mech in militia units? was the banshee that bad?
Very much so. It's desperately over-engined and underarmed, and even the mods are kind of shit until the Steiners popped in a new engine and bashed a Whammy arm and left-over Wolverine guns onto it. In particular, the legs and arms have shitty armor (21/26), and since its only real use is in melee that means you wind up either using it as a giant, non-jumping Panther or

Variants:
-3M: PPC and ML in each side torso, 16 sinks. Feels kinda like a Quad Marauder.
-3MC: Drops sinks, MLs to go AC/10 and PPC
-3Q: AC/20 and 30 rounds of ammo. In a massive, six-slot torso bomb with no padding. Good luck.
-3S: Shitloads of sinks, rapetastic close-range battery, twin peepers for long-range fighting. Other than the armor, it's pure sex on a shingle, and gives the Atlas a run for its money.
Reinsblatt: Drops the -3S's PPCs and SRM for an LRM-10, LL, and hatchet. Scary AF in heavy terrain.

-3Mr: Swaps the PPCs and MLs for ER versions, slaps in freezers. Not great, or even good, but better than the -3M.
-5S: Like the -3S but with a Gauss, ERPPCs, and XL. Speed's back up to 4/6. Very, very dangerous but has heat problems, shitty ammo, and rear-mounted guns.
"Sawyer" - Drops an ERPPC and sinks to mount jump jets.
"Vandergriff" - Drops the Gauss to an LB-10X, kills the rear lasers, and cuts the SRM to a -4 to add jets. 3/10, would not recommend.
-6S: HGR carrier with an LB-10X backing it up.
-7S: Drops an ERPPC from the -5S load for an LFE, boosted armor, and a better weapon arrangement. No more heat problems.
-8S: The Berzerker's little brother.
-9S: Comped HPPC and Gauss, plus the standard Banshee CC array.

-9S2 (DA) - adds a C3BS and drops most of the CC array for a comped LPPC/HPPC/Gauss battery. Startlingly effective in skilled hands.
>>
>>49067293
>BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay

It'll be shit.
>>
>>49085533
I like it, very nasty up close
My general go-to 4/6 3025 banshee is one that keeps the PPC and trades the AC for a LL and quad MLs, giving it decent firepower at all ranges without any explosives onboard
>>
>>49085593
My comment still stands. It just strikes me as something someone would do in the game is all, given what I know of it. Frankly the only reason I care it exists at all is that we get the great-looking 'Mechs out of it for minis and for the new vidya coming out.
>>
File: Banshee Atlas Handshake.jpg (63KB, 577x413px) Image search: [Google]
Banshee Atlas Handshake.jpg
63KB, 577x413px
>>49085637
>you wind up either using it as a giant, non-jumping Panther or
*or losing half your "firepower" before you get in range to use it.
'scuse me.

Also, the -3Q gets a lot better if you swap two or three tons of -20 ammo for lasers. As per >>49085551
>A fat, terrible Hunchback is what it really is.
>>
>>49084567
I think part of the trick is that when a Panther stops jumping but runs faster, and especially when it adds lasers, it starts to look more like a Daimyo.
>>
>>49084520
The PNT 9ALG in CM:kurita drops the jets and upgrades the engine to move at 5/8.
>>
>>49085657

So it'll fit in well with everything post-3038. What's the problem.
>>
File: Banshee-7Q.gif (20KB, 577x915px) Image search: [Google]
Banshee-7Q.gif
20KB, 577x915px
>>49085728
Funny thing about the 3Q is that in later eras it's one of the few AC/20s that has the capacity to effectively use stuff like precision or AP ammo.

Reposting my later era application of the concept, going full super Hunchback.
>>
>>49085924
I'll give you 3025/3150, I can actually believe you have this much shit taste
>>
>>49085924
It's set in 3025. The SuperGrog era is threatened!

Also, so far it looks solid, and the devs have a decent rep. I'm hopeful - not pre-order hopeful, but hopeful nonetheless.
>>
File: 1321539800577.png (14KB, 569x265px) Image search: [Google]
1321539800577.png
14KB, 569x265px
Are there any love stories currently going on in the fluff?

Besides between Malvina and Cynthy, of course.
>>
Which is the best hunchback variant?
>>
>>49085924
>1st-gen grognard

Sad that all the fanbase's cancers eventually wash up here. These threads go quite well when the haters aren't on.

>>49088010
Daoshen and his sister IIRC.
>>
>>49088022

I like the Lyran one with the LBX-20, but then I'm a purist. Generally the various swaybacks are the best. Just look for whichever has the best heat/damage ratio.
>>
>>49088010

All the other entanglements I can think of are either incestuous or have had at least one of the people involved killed.
>>
its been a while since i've played on megamek. I've got a question for yall, whats the point of infantry? I know vees have their little uses but I don't see what good infantry has
>>
>>49088022
the 5P is decent. so is the 6P with the LPPCs
>>
>>49088022
Proper Hunch? The 5S. Otherwise various swaybacks might compete.

Pure humor value? The one that a guy slapped a supercharger on a damaged one and Hogarth's kid was like "YES, A PROPER LYRAN SCOUT MECH! WE'LL TAKE A THOUSAND!"
>>
>>49088293
oh shit the 5S, not the 5P
>>
>>49088256
Spotting for artillery and indirect fire.
Can be brutal at point blank range. Good against units with no AI weaponry. Effective in heavy cover like buildings.
>>
>>49088256
Two words: Field Guns. That includes field artillery.
>>
>>49088256
This>>49088479

Stick them inna building, you can stick A LOT of them inna building. So much that you will be sure the lord and savior of /k/ had manifested itself and now stares balefully in your direction.
>>
Do we have anything set after that last book that came out? Whats his name is awake now and he sees that the inner sphere is in a bad way so then....?
>>
>>49088949
Most recent is the bits and bobs we got in TRO:3150 which was a five year jump ahead of any other info we had.

>tfw no old ass Sunny Boy and Satan Stoner cripple fight ever
Only good use of those two being in cryo.
>>
Hey /btg/, is A Time of War any good?
>>
>>49089057
It's better than MechWarrior 3 (a goddamn low bar). It had a lengthy beta period and a second period so it's largely errata free. However, it's still pretty crunchy, and lethal (whether those are problems is based on your play style).
>>
>>49089196
Alright. What wound be a good alternative that could be recommended?
>>
>>49089196
"second period" - I meant "second printing" (and the one you'd want to get, since it has corrections).
>>
>>49089252
You'd need to be more specific as to what you want out of a game in erms of complexity, etc. Hero and Amber Diceless are all perfectly good games for what they do, but aren't going to please the same crowd.
>>
>>49089196
>It's better than MechWarrior 3 (a goddamn low bar).

M8 I will fight you.

Aside from people being retards about refusing to spend edge during character creation and getting shafted by bad rolls on their event tables, the system is SO much cleaner-running than ATOW it's not even funny.
>>
File: MW III.jpg (127KB, 800x748px) Image search: [Google]
MW III.jpg
127KB, 800x748px
>>49089667
Pic relevant.
>>
>>49089667
I think he meant the RPG system, not the vidya.
>>
>>49089548
Less crunch-heavy, honestly, but I just want to know which systems fit MechWarrior best.
>>
>>49089893
So did that anon.
>>
>>49089760
You ain't wrong, but AToW is somehow even fucking worse
>>
Well don't say that too loud, I'm trying to convince my friend to switch systems to it before he starts a game and it can't possibly be worse than his efforts to modify FATAL into something playable.
>>
>>49091487
It ain't terrible, just obtuse and complicated to work out for a first timer. I'd houserule equipment.
>>
>>49091508
Well who knows what will happen since I managed to get him to try an AtB campaign. Lost most of a lance to pirates and then beat the pirate's leader in a duel.

The pirate brought a Banshee 3E lol
>>
Soo, MechWarrior 3 is more refined and accessable? Does AToW have any upsides over MechWarrior 3? What's of note about MechWarrior 3?
>>
>>49091612
>more refined
Dubious
>accessable
Yes, it's a bit like traveller rewritten by accountants who need your business, whereas AToW is written by an actuary who hates you.
>What's of note about MechWarrior 3?
It is pure-D to the last about generating proper characters with terribly strong backstories; it's a GM's dream in that regard. It's also a very, very solid game for the battletech universe, complete to the absurdities of the classic battletech protag's background. God only knows if a character'll be optimal or decent gunfighters,but sure as hell, they'll be interesting, that's all it promises
>>
I was a big MW 2nd player and the switch to 3rd was a travesty. I dislike systems where your dice rolls at character creation determine whether you're a god or a paraplegic. AtoW went back to a static system but kept the complex backgrounds.

But to each their own. Try more than one system out and see what works best for you and your group.
>>
What's the Ukraine of the Inner Sphere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYX7KVEtfLo
>>
>>49092529
>I dislike systems where your dice rolls at character creation determine whether you're a god or a paraplegic

Yet another person incapable of grasping the idea that you can spend your Edge threshold to get rerolls and ignore track limitations completely. Why bother writing a good game when people don't read the rules in the first place?
>>
>>49093785
>What's the Ukraine of the Inner Sphere?

Are you sure that's the right clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw
>>
Looking into the fluff I'm actually surprised the FedSuns had such a mediocre selection of indigenously produced battlemechs for so long.
>>
File: 440px-G1Six-Gun_toy.jpg (57KB, 440x600px) Image search: [Google]
440px-G1Six-Gun_toy.jpg
57KB, 440x600px
>That disk in the midsection.
>Those guns.
>Came out around the same time as TRO 3025

Hello, Blackjack. What other bots in Btech are inspired by other mechanical of the time?
I know Atlas is a modified Scopedog from VOTOMS.
Mad Cat is also supposed to be heavily inspired by attack helicopters.
Vulture is an armless modification of Archer/Spartan.

Anything else? Unseens excluded, obviously.
>>
>>49094799
>Vulture
Mad Dog, you surat
>>
File: Factions of the Inner Sphere-1.jpg (334KB, 699x462px) Image search: [Google]
Factions of the Inner Sphere-1.jpg
334KB, 699x462px
>>49095304
Pretty sure I was consistent with the naming, my little furry friend.
>>
>>49095491
Freebirth scum get off my Chatterweb REEEEEEEEEE
>>
Planning on doing a Nova Cat v. Smoke Jaguar battle, trinary size.
The matches themselves will be star on star.
Is 40,000 BV for each trinary reasonable or too high?

If anyone would like to contribute sample stars, or even trinaries, that are balanced I'd be appreciative.
>>
>>49095304
>>49095491
>>49095902

The Ghost Bears and all their mechs end up basically being Inner Sphere anyway so its rather moot.
>>
>>49096700
All Kodiaks vs. all Nova Cat primes.
>>
>>49093909
The problem with this is that it's very possible to have shit enough luck that burning Edge threshold in this manner doesn't help you that much.

Also, I forget...was it a rule that you could only spend Edge once per life module? Can't remember if that was a book rule or just something my GM houseruled.
>>
>>49098772
>very possible to have shit enough luck

Then honestly, you don't have enough luck to actually play dice games in the first place, because if your luck is that shit you're gonna get killed 10 minutes into the session no matter what you do.

Or, when your luck is shit and you roll <4 on 5 successive event table checks, making you a blind, deaf, 1-armed quadriplegic with TDS and Combat paralysis...you go to your GM and say, "look, you wanted us to play Mechwarriors but this guy can't be one. Can I start over?" And if your GM says yes, then fine. Get new dice and start over. If your GM says no, then you're not going to want to play with that GM anyway, because they're fine with having a blind, deaf, 1-armed quadriplegic with TDS and combat paralysis in a group with a bunch of actual Mechwarriors.

>you could only spend Edge once per life module

No. You can't reroll a reroll during game play, but during life paths, you can use edge as much as you want as long as you haven't reduced your Threshold below 2. Which gives you 6 rerolls during the process.

Oh, and you can just outright adjust a life path result up or down by 1 (on a 2d6 track) or by up to 2 (on a 2d10 track) by spending edge as well. Almost all of the really catastrophic results happen on 2s and 3s, so you can spend edge to bump up to a 4 if needs must. This is all on pg 24-25 of MW3e.
>>
>>49099081
Honestly, my main beef with MW3e is how often it hands out combat paralysis considering how utterly crippling it is
>>
>>49099486
Character creation is quirky, but can easily be handwaved around; I couldn't care less about the lifepath stuff (you actually get some really fun results sometimes) My complaint about the game is how terrible the XP system and combat is. It's just a shitty, cumbersome ruleset to game with, my group and I found.
>>
>>49099940
>Character creation is quirky, but can easily be handwaved around; I couldn't care less about the lifepath stuff (you actually get some really fun results sometimes)
I agree with you completely, I'm just very mildly annoyed with one particular choice.
>the XP system
Actually looking at it, I agree, but I've always played with the "you advance when the GM thinks you should advance" style, so I can't say it's caused me any particular trouble
>>49099940
>and combat is. It's just a shitty, cumbersome ruleset to game with, my group and I found.
I'm 100% with you on this one. I've just imported the combat system from T2K wholesale as a replacement and it works a lot better
>>
>>49093909
What happens when you run out of Edge? That's beside the point. My statement applies to other systems as well, like Dnd. Luck is good in game, not in character creation.
>>
File: Awesome 12V.png (41KB, 651x878px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome 12V.png
41KB, 651x878px
You never asked for this.
>>
>>49101625
>What happens when you run out of Edge?

You start with an Edge Threshold of either 8 or 10 (can't be arsed to check). You can't reduce it to below 2, but once it's down to 2, nothing happens. The only actual effect is that it costs more to raise your actual Edge attribute (threshold means "at this value or less you can buy the attribute points extra-cheap) at the end of character creation.

Characters are supposed to have around 4-6 lifepaths involving table rolls before game-on (childhood, young adult, professional schooling, and then 1-3 paths in "real life", including Tours of Duty). Assuming you start with an 8 Threshold, that's 6 Edge for between 4-6 tables. Are you seriously telling me that your luck is so bad that you're unable to create a workable character when you get a free reroll on literally EVERY life path table?
>>
File: Fuck your luck system.png (320KB, 1748x406px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck your luck system.png
320KB, 1748x406px
>>49101746
>Are you seriously telling me that your luck is so bad that you're unable to create a workable character when you get a free reroll on literally EVERY life path table?

Yes. Luck-based character creation systems are entirely shit. Everywhere. Here's 8 rolls I just did, which is enough to do your "4 life path tables, with a reroll on each one". Fuck you.

Every game that uses luck for character creation is shit, and every game developer who keeps writing them should be shot in the back fo the head and their childrens lunch money be confiscated to pay for the bullet.
>>
>>49101871
Somebody needs to go down for a nap
>>
>>49101871
Wow. I'm >>49098772 and even I don't usually see rolls THAT fucking shit.
>>
>>49101871
Wow that is bad, like damn dude, which dice god did you piss off?

>>49101975
But he is right tho. Base stats and then a pool to distribute makes things much better and easier to design around.
>>
>>49101871
He's still got a fair point that a non-shit GM will let you start over if you completely screw the pooch like that.
>>
File: star league.png (124KB, 748x1000px) Image search: [Google]
star league.png
124KB, 748x1000px
Oh shit, this is what Betrayal of Ideals last chapter is about:

>3041, Comstar Survey Crew on the planet of Barbados, where the majority of the Wolverines Touman made their stand. The crew is shocked at the evidence of a large battle there. Unknown Mech designs included. They also find two graves - those of McEvedy and Halls (IIRC, I might've forgotten his name). These graves have had flowers laid on them rather recently, and there's a refuse pile not far from there where far more and older flowers have been put, as though someone was cleaning them off and replacing on a regular basis.

>A unit marking on a destroyed mech was a close match to a Minnesota Tribesman's tattoo. Not identical, but close.

>Further, there was a place with signs of frequent dropship landings. From evidence seen, they'd guessed this group would be back within 6 months. But their mission didn't allow them to wait that long. Plus they couldn't rule out it being a hostile group. And that's pretty much the cliff notes.
>>
>>49101652
Seems a bit oversinked?
>>
>>49102377

If your system forces players to rely on a GM's judgement, then your system is shit, and the advice about getting shot in the back of the head still applies.
>>
>>49103071
I have to ask, what are your feelings about the staff of CGL, both past and present?
>>
>>49102482
Source?
>>
So, combat wise, is AToW superior? Or is it that it's as convoluted or worse than MW3e?
>>
>>49103295

Easily as convoluted as MW3e.
>>
>>49103169
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54330.msg1252247#msg1252247
>>
>>49103426
Okay, thanks friend.
>>
File: Awesomette AW-ET3.png (54KB, 609x845px) Image search: [Google]
Awesomette AW-ET3.png
54KB, 609x845px
>>49101652
>yzma.webm
Yeah well you never asked for THIS.
>>
File: Awesome 9Va.png (41KB, 650x940px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome 9Va.png
41KB, 650x940px
>>49103530
No, but I did ask for pic related. I've seen all three main guns jam at once.
>>
>>49103579
>UAC/5s
>not RAC/5s
PULL THE LEVER, KRONK!
>>
File: ClanWolverine.jpg (18KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
ClanWolverine.jpg
18KB, 250x228px
>>49103457
Holy fucking shit.
>>
File: Awesome 9Vb.png (42KB, 650x957px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome 9Vb.png
42KB, 650x957px
>>49103658
Is this better?
>>
hnnng
>>
File: JagerMech JM7-F2.png (55KB, 611x878px) Image search: [Google]
JagerMech JM7-F2.png
55KB, 611x878px
>>49103761
D'aww. It's a mini-King Crab. I was wondering if you had an LB-X version.

Meanwhile, MAXIMUM DAKKA!!!!
I didn't use RAC/2s because specialty ammo.
>>
File: Jagermech Flak4b.png (40KB, 650x905px) Image search: [Google]
Jagermech Flak4b.png
40KB, 650x905px
>>49103940
>No armor
Superior Jager Platform inc.
>>
File: Thug 12Qb.png (41KB, 650x943px) Image search: [Google]
Thug 12Qb.png
41KB, 650x943px
>>49103995
And the BEST THUG EVER.
>>
>>49102482
Wolverines aren't Word of Blake, but I bet someone's ass they will be related to the ilClan
>>
File: Mauler DAKKAMAX.png (32KB, 608x792px) Image search: [Google]
Mauler DAKKAMAX.png
32KB, 608x792px
>>49103940
6.5/10, would use in frontline FedSuns units. I'd drop the Smalls for more armor though.

>>49103995
Not enough RAC for Daddy Fox. Besides, there's that one Annihilator if I want to go Full Retard with LACs-2. Or I could do this.
>>
>>49104311
ISP2 says otherwise. It's the whole reason the Bears went completely nuts over the Blakists in the Jihad.
>>
>>49104637
The Interstellar Player books are officially canon rumors, aside from the front half of Blake Documents. Referring to ISP2 is like referring to the Weekly World News.
>>
>>49104677
That part was backed up though in the Hotspots series. The Bears literally went full trial of annihilation against the Blakists specifically because they found some Wolverine genes in some of the Manei Domini they killed. It's the whole reason for them joining Stone's group and why they murdered every last Blakist they could get ahold of, down to the guy that works in the mail room and did to any captured tech what the Nova Cats did to the old Stinger LAM factory.
>>
>>49104739
>specifically because they found some Wolverine genes in some of the Manei Domini they killed

[citation needed]
>>
File: 1396527713676.gif (1MB, 482x344px) Image search: [Google]
1396527713676.gif
1MB, 482x344px
>>49102482

>Fuck
>Yes!

Better have something to do with ilKhan.
>>
>>49104777
It was in 3074, sometime between when the Blakists hit Radstaht and when the Bears hit Gabriel in 3075. Might have been in the people they captured on the Luthien raid.

Digging for it now. It might have been clarified in one of those author posts, like some of the weirder Jihad stuff that needed somebody to say which of the four versions was true. To be fair though, it was one of those things where it was couched as "It might not be true, but the proof was at least faked good enough to trick the Bears into believing it was true."
>>
>>49105118
That's the main thing: that it seems to be believed in-universe, but we've never seen whatever proof convinced the Bears of this, so we don't know how good it is, where it came from, and most importantly if it's true.
>>
>>49105118
[An unsteady camera settles on a picture of Hell. Pieces of
burnt and twisted wreckage dot a grassy steppe, and the grass
itself is burning. Columns of choking black smoke stab into a
gunmetal sky. But the real horror is that there are fi gures moving
down below, fi gures moving through hell.]
[A man speaks. His voice is deep and fi rm but carefully quiet.]
“This is Ken Rope, bringing you the Voice of the Dragon
from Kaus Borealis. Nine days ago, on August 20, Clan Ghost
Bear landed on this world. They came down hot, ignoring
DCMS hails, repeating a pattern that has held from Cebalrai to
Vega, Eltanin to Alya.”
[Most of the fi gures moving through the battlefi eld are giants,
Elementals in battle armor, but the camera zooms in on a middleaged
woman wearing gray pants and a matching frock, picking
through the smoldering wreckage.]
“The Bears leave Combine forces and civilians alone as
long as we stay out of their way, but they ruthlessly slaughter
any Blakists they encounter. The Bear hatred of the Word is
unexplained.
“But undeniable.”
[The Ghost Bear woman squats down and raises a prize out of
the destruction. Heat rises from the blackened object in the chill
morning air. Its shape marks it as a human cranium.]
“What happens next is mysterious. The Ghost Bears comb
through the wreckage. This isn’t normal battlefi eld salvage
and they aren’t looking for prisoners—the Bears haven’t taken
any Blakist prisoners. It’s unclear what they’re doing, especially
since they attack anyone who questions them or even tries to
observe.”
[The Clanner scrapes the blackened skull with a small knife,
shaking the scrapings into a clear plastic bag. She handles the
sample gingerly, almost reverently. But at the same time her face
is twisted into a rictus of hatred.]
“They’re searching for something, but only they know what
they want.”
—VOTD vid report, Kaus Borealis, 28 August 3075
>>
>>49105177
Is there more? Because that just looks like they're suspicious but lacking proof. IIRC someone leaked the rumor of a Wolverine/Blakist conspiracy to get the Bears involved.
>>
>>49105457
>IIRC someone leaked the rumor of a Wolverine/Blakist conspiracy to get the Bears involved.
Yep, it was uncle chandy. Thing is, it's not known if he was simply bullshitting to get the burrs involved or just relaying a rumor he'd heard that might or might not have been true
>>
>>49105457
There was something about Luthien or Pesht that I can't find. Like they found something there and they're trying to figure out if its a one-off or if WoB is really the Wolverines of Blake. It's why they were doing all this on a string of Combine worlds.

The real salesmanship was Stone getting them on board for SCOUR.

My guess would be that since so many of the MD are from the Hidden Worlds, that they snagged one of them. That wouldn't have a lot of genetics in common with the bulk of the WoBM who are from the core worlds. We know clan genetics and records are stupid good too even from the old BoK trilogy where they figured out Kell's lineage with very little trouble. So you wouldn't figure they would jump the gun.

I guess it really comes down to if you think the Bears would just murder every man woman and child associated with the WoB on nothing but conjecture. Doesn't seem like it to me, especially how the authors go so far out of the way to favor them.
>>
>>49105668
>I guess it really comes down to if you think the Bears would just murder every man woman and child associated with the WoB on nothing but conjecture.

Well they are Clanners, and Clanners sometimes act really dumb.
>>
>>49105668
I think the MD connection isn't impossible, but it's really reaching. Far more likely Chandy played the Bears since mathematically it wouldn't be unlikely that some distant relative of the Wolverines could be found among the WoB's ranks.
>>
File: 1274543170536.jpg (92KB, 400x494px) Image search: [Google]
1274543170536.jpg
92KB, 400x494px
>>49105668
>I guess it really comes down to if you think the Bears would just murder every man woman and child associated with the WoB on nothing but conjecture. Doesn't seem like it to me, especially how the authors go so far out of the way to favor them.
That's the thing, though. One of the Bears' shticks is a willingness to go for complete and utter genocide when the shit hits the fan. It partly prefigures what they did to the Cats, as well as backfills the Wolverine Annihilation. They're explicitly noted as feeling the WA is an incomplete Great Work belonging to the Clan as a whole.

Historically, even the other Clans also feel like the Bears just sort of randomly go apeshit with little or no provocation, and we get several examples.

So it's far from improbable that they'd use the WVR connection to burn the WoB the fuck down. Especially once the Mercury II and Pulverizer showed up in Blakist hands (see the old Gen Con dioramas..). That's always been one of the great unexplained dangling threads - did ComStar find a wrecked one and try to RE it, or is it genuine Wolverine legacy hardware?
>>
>>49105668
>I guess it really comes down to if you think the Bears would just murder every man woman and child associated with the WoB on nothing but conjecture.
They would. When you get down to it, they're just as pure psycho as the jags, maybe more so
>especially how the authors go so far out of the way to favor them.
That's true, but the thing is, the writers ALSO have a fetish for pointless warcrimes, so their favorite boys doing a bunch of murderwank is EXACTLY what the writers would do
>>
>>49106176
Definitely more so. Jags only had a couple war crimes under their belts, and the most famous one was pretty much universally decried by their own warrior caste.
>>
>>49106324
This just reminded me that the Bears blew away the old CWIE Black Lion class Implacable at Gabriel just for firing a warning shot at them. What a bunch of assholes.
>>
>>49106411
Plus they genocided all those Nova Cats asking for refuge, going right down to spacing the civilian castes.

I know Jaguars are the meme evil clan, but the Bears are literally 10x worse. Plus Leviathans.
>>
>>49106324
Valid point.
They're about even in the civilian mistreatment olympics, so I guess the bears are actually Worst Clan.
Now, on the other end of the scale, which clan is the LEAST warcrime/murder-y?
>>
>>49106466
Not like the Nova Cats didn't do the exact same thing to Blakists in SCOUR. The difference was Santin West at least had a little bit of charm even when he was banging on about annihilation.
>>
>>49106548
I recall the Nova Cats had their own share of dick moves (fighting the Blakist militia in a trial of annihilation on Stewart, right?). But Clanners spacing civvies really stands out as a capital dick move.
>>
>>49106466
>the Bears are literally 10x worse

obviously. They are the author's favorite's after all. Of course they're evil.
>>
>>49106517
>which clan is the LEAST warcrime/murder-y?
The weak ones who failed.

You know what I find more interesting? The most mustache-twirling clans are less bad than the ones that front the honor and family angle. Like the Falcons talk a big game but they're more like experts in dickery because they win the long game about as much as Cobra Commander.
>>
>>49106517
>Now, on the other end of the scale, which clan is the LEAST warcrime/murder-y?
Pre-WoR, the blood spirits, probably.
After the WoR? None of them, really, though the scorps are marginally better than the rest, probably
>>
>>49106670
>scorps are marginally better than the rest, probably

They just warcrime pirates and peripherats. And we all know those don't count as people.
>>
>>49106670
>implying Clan Happy Merchant isn't the least warcrimes
Anon pls. They'll sell you the oven and throw in a washout warrior.
>>
File: e1e.gif (2MB, 500x229px) Image search: [Google]
e1e.gif
2MB, 500x229px
>>49106517
>Now, on the other end of the scale, which clan is the LEAST warcrime/murder-y?

Sea Foxes
>>
>>49090931
As someone GMing and getting into AToW right now, there's nothing really complex that I've found thus far. Going through life modules is a bit tedious, but character creation seems quite straightforward really. Not fast, but straightforward.

>Except for one of my players that didn't realize Skill/Word meant that the skill was specifying the Word as a focus. So he had 35 points in Protocol and 35 points in Lyran, instead of 35 in Protocol/Lyran like he was supposed to. Not the smartest cookie.
>>
>>49106913
>not having at least 100 points in Lyran
do you even social general
>>
>>49106411
>implying killing traitors and seperatists is a war crime
>>
>>49106517

All the clans who hadn't committed warcrimes yet committed warcrimes during the Wars of Reaving. Only one I can't remember doing any directly was Hells Horses but they were just trying to leave.
>>
>>49107117
Quadvees are a warcrime
>>
>>49106764

Why would Sea Foxes change their name from Diamond Shark? I mean, I know tradition and everything, converting to merchants...

But Diamond Shark is a fucking awesome name. That's a name with brand power.
>>
>>49107139

So is not being Capellan.
>>
>>49107199
I just don't get the switch back. Maybe if they'd started as Diamond Sharks and then wanted a friendlier sounding totem, fine. But SF to DS and back to SF for some reason makes them seem indecisive.
>>
>>49107199
Because DA said so. Same reason Rumplehog kicked out C* for the fucking Bears and the Republic somehow became a thing despite having some of the most valuable surviving TH worlds in it that whole Succession Wars were fought over.

Lots of strangeness.
>>
>>49107273
>Because DA said so

THAT excuse again. I'm so tired of hearing that. Seriously, fuck CGL.
>>
>>49107032
The amusing part is that said player is the only Mech jock in the party. They're playing in 3025 as DCMS (Legion of Vega, specifically) and they all had the option of mechs or vees, for which I provided a list. From the following list, the players picked the Valkyrie, a Saracen, a Saladin, and a Peregrine.

Only the Stalker was unavailable, CO's mech.

3rd Company (Southern Continent, PCs)
Command Lance (Heavy, Mech)
Stalker-3F (Company CO)
Archer-2K
Thunderbolt-5S
Gladiator-4R

Recon Lance (Light, Mech)
Griffin-1N
Firestarter-K
Valkyrie-QA
Wasp-1A

Support Lance (Light, Vehicle, Reinforced)
2x Scimitar
2x Saladin
2x Packrat
2x Peregrine
>>
Bit of an odd what-if question here, but say the St.Ives compact wasn't conquered by the CapCon (say the trinity alliance never happened or whatever), how do you think they'd have ended up in the Jihad and into the republic era and DA?
>>
>>49107374
>Derp, picked a Scimitar, not a Saracen. Always flip those two in my head.
>>
>>49107378
Conquered by the CapCon during or following the Jihad.
>>
>>49107378
Same shit would have happened in the FCCW as Tikonov but with St. Ives proper.

>Yeah, Sunny boy. I totally trust you to hang onto this for me for a little while so I can kick my sister's ass.

Would be doubly effective since he didn't pull the peacekeeper scheme to get St. Ives like in the canon timeline. He could pull that card easily.
>>
>>49107374
The Saladin player is going to have the most fun out of all of them. Death or glory for the Drift 20!
>>
>>49107338
Topps said the DA material was canon and had to be followed, and they own the property.
>>
>>49107461
I sincerely look forward to each and every one of his turns.

I'll have to do battle reports here on their sessions - first one will be this Friday!
>>
>>49107395
You know, Sovereign Justice might actually have been pulled off decently with the St Ives help. George not going full retard and being more in line with his novel persona, plus having the backing of the St. Ives state forces could have really made the whole thing a success. He was kicking ass in 3068 until the rebelling St. Ives forces turned on him.
>>
>>49107378
Depends on a few things. Is George Hasek drinking the idiot juice? Did that dropped plot thread about an alliance with the taurians and MoC go through? If so, what's going on in those two states?
How's their relationship with the suns?
How busted up did their military industry get in the jihad?
All these questions need to be resolved before one can really give a proper answer
>>
>>49107395
Preposterous! Clearly the orbital bombardment of Sian and apparent death of Sun Tzu would have them shouting Xin Sheng just like Free Capella did.
>>
>>49107671
That face-turn always stands out as one of the most retarded moments in the Jihad. Right up there with good old Hasek letting the robes have New Avalon so he could go on a Capellan Crusade.

Just a fucking ton of really stupid stuff in the first two books for some reason. Like they didn't really get a handle on the whole plotline until JHS:3072
>>
>>49107544
>>49107630
Why did Coleman feel the need to fuck up the character of George Hasek?
And why was his younger brother never mentioned again?
>>
File: hoplites.png (233KB, 1106x904px) Image search: [Google]
hoplites.png
233KB, 1106x904px
Been building up a Lyran flavoured merc company on my days off. How big a fuckup is this? Been going for self-sufficient lances rather than lights/heavies etc. so I can rotate them out for maintenance and repair.

All the mechs match their normal variant code except for the beowulf, which I took switched out the TAG and LPL for a pair of MPLs and a wrecking ball because melee master.
>>
File: hoplite griffin.png (21KB, 442x833px) Image search: [Google]
hoplite griffin.png
21KB, 442x833px
>>49107807
oh the griffins were customised. can't remember why.
>>
>>49107751
>Why did Coleman feel the need to fuck up the character of George Hasek?
Because he was actually a credible threat to the xin shong wank train, and that obviously can't be allowed to stand, like free capella or jeffrey calderon or the st.Ives compact, and so he had to become a moron and die, as is tradition for that crowd
>>
>>49107827
>Fielding this thing instead of the glorious GRF-1S
What are you, some damn Leaguer scum sucker? Use proper STEINER machines, boy!
>>
>>49107807
Did your first lieutenant get killed by a hovercar crushing him?
>>
>>49107751
It's almost like Coleman accidentally thought it was Michael Hasek and didn't realize this was his son. I could almost laugh if that was the case.

What irritated so much was the novel where George is the star because it is literally a few months before the retardation sets in. And he's all

"Muh loyalty to the Fedsuns and my March."
"I serve my people. I will not commit them to war that only weakens our state and borders."
"Victor, why are you in a knot over the clans when Xen Sheng is right here in your fucking backyard!"

Then the novel ends with him surviving assassination.

So then he goes crazy, launches everything at the Caps, kidnaps Duke Kai, and basically acts retarded until somebody actually assassinates him less than two years after the first attempt. Then his supposedly more mild cousin takes over. That's rough.

I guess there's precedent for Feddies getting sudden retardation, what with Yvonne handing over the keys to Avalon to Katherine when her whole circle of advisors are many of who serve VSD when he returns from the Great Refusal. Apparently they were just like "Sure, yeah, whatever."
>>
>>49107919
*grandson

Almost messed that up myself. Though forgetting Morgan is another old joke of the franchise.
>>
>>49107273
>>49107338

To be fair, I do kind of like the idea of the Clans significantly changing the static and boring Inner sphere during the Dark Age.

I just wish everything around this wasn't so stupid. But we knew this was coming with the Jihad and its complexity level of "and then X died."
>>
>>49108056
You got it backwards bro. Proper Battletech was in Forever 67 while DA was a thing. Jihad was entirely making that 2002-2008 square peg fit in the Battletech hole. Not to mention all the DA references to weird shit that was supposed to happen during the Jihad.

Mid-Late Jihad was actually pretty great comparatively. And so far we don't have a ton of new DA material. The old DA novels stopped at 3143 IIRC and Bonfire brought it up to 3145. All the Catalyst material pretty much just did what stuff like the old FCCW sourcebook did for the FCCW novels.

3150 is the only true new DA bit and shows some craziness going on, but we have very little info on any of that. Instead we're just waiting on more historicals and stuff. And apparently that's not going to change until ilClan happens.
>>
File: hovercraft drifting.jpg (164KB, 661x489px) Image search: [Google]
hovercraft drifting.jpg
164KB, 661x489px
>>49107461
>>
>>49108145
>And apparently that's not going to change until ilClan happens.
So, never?
>>
File: 1470437957803.jpg (536KB, 1511x2504px) Image search: [Google]
1470437957803.jpg
536KB, 1511x2504px
>>49108320
Oh come now, that's what they said about HB:HK and IntOps, and they were both incomplete copy/paste hackjobs that were years late when they finally fucking delivered.
>>
>>49106764
Least but they the ones that supplied majority of the hardware to do the deeds!
>>
>>49105668
The Bears kinda honored Stone and his memories like a very dear friend, so maybe the Bears did really find something Wolverines there, which allowed them redeemed their lost honor when Wolverines remnant escape.
>>
Hey guys, it's the fag who asked 'bout MW3 RPG and such. Given it a look over, can't find anything about the mech based combat. Can someone fill me in? Are we supposed to pair MW3 or AToW with the main tabletop game as well? Or is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>49110053
>Are we supposed to pair MW3 or AToW with the main tabletop game as well?
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>49110072
Alright, what books do I need? Just the compendium or..?
>>
>>49110128
At a bare minimum you need Total Warfare. Tactical Operations has a few useful extra things.
>>
>>49110128
Total Warfare is the core rulebook nowadays, and is all you really need just to play that part, though if the campaign starts going into customizing mechs or need prices for heavy equipment, Tech Manual has all that.

Though if using MW3e, the Battletech Master Rules was the rulebook of the time and would be what 3e references which might be handy, plus it's just much better formatted than TW is, and most of the rules are still the same. Though infantry is one area that's changed, and that might be more relevant in an RPG campaign.
>>
NEA or one of the other aerotech experts, if you're here I was wondering what you think of Lyran-made WarShip designs. Which are good and which are not so good.
>>
>>49105640
From Wars of Reaving

"Every battle was one of savage violence as the Bear warriors acted out of their own fears and assumptions regarding the nature of the enemy—despite no discovery
of conclusive genetic evidence."
>>
The ATB stuff hasn't been updated at all right? That project is more or less complete?
>>
>>49111353

For the modern ones, the Mjolnir is a mid-range brawler with heavy armour. The NGRs look scary but it relies mostly on the big NACs for Thresholding and damage. It can tank a lot of ships until it gets the kill.

The Tharkads are pretty good, they're NAC boats like the Aegis. Not as good as a Black Lion or Conqueror but then not much is.

Foxes are a combination of transport and light WarShip. They can take on other Corvettes but struggle against anything bigger.

The biggest problem the Lyrans have is that there's really no fleet for them to work with. Going into the Jihad they had like six Foxes and two Mjolnirs or some shit and lost most of that, gaining just the Invincible (which was later broken any way).

>>49111444

I'm just sick to fucking death of the Wolverines cropping up everywhere, whether it's as a red herring or not.

Makos are shit. I don't know off-hand what other classes they had in the SL era.
>>
>>49111444

>no discovery of conclusive genetic evidence

Well there we go. I'd say that's a pretty solid answer right there.
>>
File: laughing lion.png (241KB, 339x280px) Image search: [Google]
laughing lion.png
241KB, 339x280px
>>49107914
>>
>>49112103
No kidding.
>Bears went on a genocidal rampage just on the good word of Kurita the Hutt.
I guess dumber things have happened.
>>
>>49110128
Compendium will do you great at least through the 3050s. From 3059 on new tech starts popping up that you'd need newer rulebooks for.
>>
>>49112361

No one ever said the clans were clever.

So what does everyone think was the stupidest battletech moment?
>>
>>49113456
Definitely something Stone related. Maybe the whole handing over of worlds during the formation of the Republic. People respecting him so much they didn't wreck his eight border state until he stopped ruling it fifty years later. The mechs to plowshares program. It's definitely in there somewhere.
>>
>>49113456

The basic set up of the five successor states.

It lead to such a stagnant dull setting and set up that they needed to go crazy to make things actually happen, and most problems stem from this. They needed a more interesting galactic map than the piechart.
>>
>>49113456
Funniest stupid moment was when that Jaguar elemental snapped his own spine to be the first on Tukayyid.
>>
>>49113456
>So what does everyone think was the stupidest battletech moment?

Where they implied that Mechs are more combat-effective than vehicles. For any given thickness of armor on a Mech, it's going to be thicker and more efficient on a tank for the same mass.
>>
>>49112625
Okay, thanks man. If we customize our mechs, is there a builder online for that sort of thing? Or a book we should use?
>>
>>49114533
Solaris Skunk Werks will suffice for your needs, though it's a Java program and a download. You can use the Compendium if you prefer to do it by hand.
>>
>>49114617
Alright, thanks a ton. Last question, how open is it to creating something less "standard" but still within tonnage? I know one player may want to build a Marauder with a bunch of machine guns and AC/5s
>>
>>49114928
It can do whatever you want it to, within the Battletech rules.
Barring superheavies, quadvees, tripods, RISC weapons, LAMs, and calculating AES BV correctly.
>>
>>49114965
Oh shit it doesn't do AES Bv right? Does MegaMekLab?

>>49114533
There is MegaMeklab that has just about everything, but it isn't as nice to use as SSW.
>>
>>49115053
>Oh shit it doesn't do AES Bv right?
>Multiply by 1.5 the unmodified BV of any weapons (including all physical attack weapons, but not including any ammunition) linked to an AES.
>Change to:
>Multiply by 1.25 the unmodified BV of any weapons (including all physical attack weapons, but not including any ammunition) linked to an AES.
This was some semi-recent errata and as far as I know, not fixed in SSW.
>>
>>49115114
Yeah, just did some quick stuff in SSW, throwing medium lasers on AES'd mechs.
Unmodified, they are 46 BV.
With AES, 69; a 50% (and therefore, pre-errata) increase.
For comparison, a tarcomp puts them at 57.5 BV: 1.25 times the normal BV, just like post-errata AES.

Why it was ever 1.5 at any point is beyond me.
>>
File: 1472584744874.png (151KB, 553x921px) Image search: [Google]
1472584744874.png
151KB, 553x921px
Do battle armour users need to be big guys or has that requirement disappeared?
>>
>>49115053
In terms of BV, SSW is wrong for AES, composite structure, talons, chameleon LPS, null-sig, and void-sig.
MML does all of these right IIRC.
>>
>>49114402
And have an order of magnitude fewer bullet traps.
>>
>>49115403
That requirement has disappeared. Now you can have midgets pilot the same suits built for Elementals to wear. Behold, the glory of CGL rules revisions!
>>
>>49115786
Bullet traps apparently already matter a whole lot less on modern armour. So does slating vs modern anti-armour shells.
>>
>>49115424
Looks like I am finally dropping SSW. Bummer.
>>
>>49115403
>>49115818
The strength requirement wasn't particularly high even when it was first introduced, BUT it was more or less completely impossible to move in an unpowered suit unless you were ludicrously stronk, which seems reasonable enough to me
>>
>>49113685
Wat
>>
Any advice for someone who wants to add Elementals to his collection, but has no experience with infantry in BT?
>>
File: jag hard.jpg (228KB, 842x810px) Image search: [Google]
jag hard.jpg
228KB, 842x810px
>>49116429
brah, do you even jag hard?
>>
>>49117125

Is there a context for that pic.
>>
>>49117266
Khan Minaj Osis of Clan Smoke Jaguar
>>
>>49117125
>>
>>49116738
What does your collection already have?
>>
>>49116738
Salamanders.

Metrics tons of Salamanders.

Drown them in flame.
>>
>>49118220
Right now, just the two Clan mechs that came in an Intro Box (a Summoner and a Hellbringer). The plan to is to add to this until I have 2 Novas. Will probably end up painting the whole thing up as Ghost Bears or Wolves, so I can play equally against Clan and IS.
>>49118336
No love for the standard Elemental?
>>
>>49118467
they're ablative armor for cav heavies. they can fuck some shit up in a knife fight but don't assume you'll get there.
>>
>>49117327
We were fighting waifu faggotry with a superior waifu
We won
>>
>>49119484
I still can't believe I got that drawn

Second best BT art request I've had done
>>
>>49119484

Which clan has best waifus though?
>>
>>49119885
Smoke Jaguar and Nova Cat
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (15KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
15KB, 400x305px
Goddamn the old Thunderbolt mini is uuuuuuuuugly. Most of the others are good to great, though.
>>
I have an idea for a BT activity:

Name the car you drive and the next anon tells you what 'Mech it equates to, then posts his car.

To start, I drive a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
>>
>>49120410
A Shad-2H
I drive a 2005 Volvo V70 station wagon
>>
>>49121139

Zeus. It's northern european, reliable and old.

Hyundai accent.
>>
>>49121320
Jenner. It's Asian, small, and cheap, and a lot better than some more expensive models.

Chrysler Crossfire
>>
>>49121408
Dart. Looks and sounds faster and cooler than it actually is, but somehow is charming regardless of its flaws.

Hyundai Veloster.
>>
>>49122265
Bishamon -3K. Mostly because like quad mechs the Veloster is a little different from most of its contemporaries.

'01 Buick Regal GS, supercharged engine
>>
>>49116294

Body 5, Strength 6.

You had to have the physique of an Olympic-level weight lifter to even meet the minimums. Elementals usually had 7s or 8s for those stats and were specially bred to do so.
>>
>>49122908
Cicada. Overly engined smaller car.

Hilux
>>
>>49124053
Thunderbolt. Rugged, dependable, functional. Not the prettiest, but who cares when it runs literally forever.

Plymouth Neon
>>
>>49124104
>Plymouth Neon
Centurion. Dirt simple, boring midsize

1991 Chrysler New Yorker
>>
>>49124158
>Chrysler New Yorker
Clint. Basically fine but no one ever remembers it exists without being reminded.

Dodge Ram 3500
>>
> I love how this thread has turned into Top Gear: Battletech.
>>
>>49124196
Banshee. A big, burly, heavyweight motherfucker, but not especially high-tech
2004 Ford Crown Victoria
>>
>>49124322
>Top Gear: Battletech.
You rang?
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10592419/1/Top-Gear-3025
>2004 Ford Crown Victoria
Archer. Boring, durable and common as dirt

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
>>
>>49124331
>04 Crown Vic
Grasshopper. Used to be a militia command ride, and you got it at auction for cheap. Still runs great even with all the miles, and it ain't pretty or current, but it gets you where you need to be and does what it needs to do, and it will for miles to come.

2000 Chevy Silverado
>>
>>49124394
vindi. Simple and it fucking works.

2015 CTS.
>>
>>49124382
>2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Zeus-X
Its the NEW model of an old ride with a biggass engine and lots of pretty things.

2001 Mercury Sable
>>
>>49124382
I'll stow my tremendous doubt and go with it.

Vulpes. Useful, but overtuned to high hell and a garage queen. Also super fast for its size but not made all that solidly despite its weight and looks. Engine is a marvel though.
>>
>>49124439
>vindi
One of my favorite 'Mechs. I am more than okay with this.

>2015 CTS
Hm. Gonna go with Wraith on this one. Lots of gadgets, sleek, but a bit lacking in substance. Faster than you'd think, and handles well, but your mechanic hates it.
>>
>>49124382
As the fuck if.
But I'd say it's that whacky taurian thud that goes 6/9, modified with a supercharger. Basically, something that has no right to go as fast as it does being as heavy as it is

2005 dodge charger
>>
>>49124455
>2001 Mercury Sable
Valk. Not pretty. Not fast. Everyone has one, but it will get you where you there and back again.

1989 Ford F-150 4.9l 5 speed
>>
>>49124555
>1989 Ford F-150 4.9l 5 speed
Merlin; a older basic, no-frills heavy workhorse.

2003 Vauxhall Astra
>>
>>49124658
>2003 Vauxhall Astra
Urbanmech. A tragic, hateful little box of a machine

2009 Volkswagen Golf
>>
File: black whip.jpg (38KB, 296x323px) Image search: [Google]
black whip.jpg
38KB, 296x323px
Newbie here. What's a good set of rules for two beginners? I don't care how simple it is, I just need him to understand the basics easily and to keep him interested.
>>
>>49124860
Grab the introductory box set, it's everything you need
>>
File: 1321702387373.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1321702387373.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>49124860
Introbox 'Mechs/rulebook? Just don't engage in physical combat unless he brings it up.
>>
>>49124880
What, you mean you don't want to deal with teaching new players about DFAs in the first hour?
>>
>>49124954
That's always second date shit Anon, you know that.
>>
Or just run up and punch him in the face.

His mech, I mean.
>>
>>49124382
That was the best thing I've read today. Kudos.
>>
>>49125879
It's pretty great, isn't it? There's a star wars one too, and it's pretty funny if you're into that
>>
File: spongebob canada guide.jpg (89KB, 914x646px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob canada guide.jpg
89KB, 914x646px
Hey /btg/. I'm into the tabletop game and have a friend who's interested too, but unfortunately he's in the USA and i'm not. Is it possible to play tabletop Battletech in Tabletop Simulator? I've seen mods for it.
>>
>>49126419
>not listing based Nunavut
Pleb/10
>>
>>49126419
Just download megamek, it is quite literally the battletech video game and it is completely free. It just doesn't look very pretty is all.
>>
>>49126419
just use megamek like everyone else here.
>>
File: locust vs infantry.jpg (99KB, 617x613px) Image search: [Google]
locust vs infantry.jpg
99KB, 617x613px
>>49126419
Seconding Megamek. It's free, it's awesome. And remember to watch out when you try to be clever and send a Locust to check out a suspiciously free approach.

>"All right, let's do this. Leeeeroy Ronneberg!"
>>
>>49120377
I thought I was the only one who hated that thing!
>>
>>49126975
I don't know which to cheer for? The infantry for having the balls to attack a mech, or someone willingly piloting a Locust. I'm cheering for both.
>>
>>49127360
Dude it's HIDEOUS compared to every other mech in that set, and that's not a high bar!

Although the Locust takes second worst - not for looks, but because it broke off at the feet. It's in my "scrapyard" atm (mechs that need re-assembly after rough handling or poor glue jobs).
>>
>>49127430
To be fair, jump infantry kind of have a job to begin with. Those det charges won't slap themselves!
>>
New thread: >>49127915
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.