[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 30

File: magicnshit.jpg (96KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
magicnshit.jpg
96KB, 800x1200px
Favourite Spells Edition

>Pastebin :
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last time on 5eg
>>49037304
>>
>>49051407
why don't people like Rangers?
They seem REALLY fun
>>
>>49051574
Hunter is fine.

People just dont like beastmaster because it falls off in the usefulness pretty hard and the pet is easy to kill.

Ranger however has a lot of skills that require the DM to play to them. IE: if youre favored terrain is desert, and the dm constantly sends you to the tundra youre fucked.
>>
>>49051617
For what reason does the animal companion not work like animate dead in combat?
>>
>>49051683
animate dead can be used multiple times and has the benefit of you having some kind of massive spell casting. the animal companion gains almost no bonuses and is easy to kill. you have to take time to get a new one whereas animate dead is a quick fix.

you also have to choose, at least until level 5, whether you attack or your pet does
>>
>>49051407
>Favourite Spells
Easily Find Familiar and Suggestion
>>
Does anyone have links to dmsguild downloads so I don't have to pay up? [s]is it in the pastebin? I didn't look[/s]
>>
>>49051617
>if youre favored terrain is desert, and the dm constantly sends you to the tundra youre fucked.

"Fucked" is a really strong word here.
Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain impart literally NO combat advantages, which as pretty much a rule is what people talk (or alternatively, whine) about when it comes to class balance.
Both Enemy and Terrain abilities more for travel and roleplay stuff.

What IS true however is that without them they're basically just a Fighter in terms of roleplay with a few more skill proficiencies.
>>
>>49051407
Fabricate. Fabricate is awesome with the right proficiencies. DM forbid you combine it with Knowledge Cleric 2 to be able to Fabricate anything...

Suggestion and Mold Earth are also very fun!
>>
>>49051776
>not looking at the fucking pastebin of all things
>fucking up something as simple as a spoiler
get out
>>
File: wat cat 2.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 2.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
OP, why would you leave out both trove links?

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
>>
>Player got a giant to help them
>then got said giant to throw their barbarian at the BBEG
>the BBEG's dragon got out of the way but it ended up throwing him off with the barbarian
anime as fuck
>>
>>49051777
i may have indulged in hyperbole, my apologies.

But it is a little weak that your ribbons are so specific
>>
>>49051880
no
>>
>>49051721
Has anyone made a revamped version of beast master yet?
>>
>>49051777
>just a Fighter in terms of roleplay with a few more skill proficiencies.
This is my problem, none of their abilities actually have much impact except for spellcasting and the hunter abilities. With a fighting style, extra attack and good hit die etc. Hunters are still not that bad but except for the hunter abilities and some utility spells they get shit all.
>>
>>49051927
It's true, it is kinda annoying.
I still think it's a vast improvement over prior editions when all's said and done.
>>
>>49051776
>>49051900
>>
File: 1451795925407.jpg (84KB, 479x710px) Image search: [Google]
1451795925407.jpg
84KB, 479x710px
I'm setting a campaign in classical antiquity. Is this a really shit idea? Advice?
>>
File: shrug.gif (864KB, 500x165px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.gif
864KB, 500x165px
>>49051948
Yeah. The only big issue I have with them is that they don't FEEL good to play. Warlock is a dumb class but it feels pretty good. Ranger never really felt like a ranger in most editions though. Honestly I think they should have just tossed it for a rogue archetype.
>>
>>49051407
I'm really having trouble role playing my GOOlock. I don't want him to be full blown insane, but just a bit off and some serious shit going on beneath the surface. I'm just not able to figure out how to convey that without it sounding like I'm trying too hard or just sounding stupid. Any advice?
>>
What was that web-based homebrew designer that was linked here a couple of threads back? I forgot to save it as a bookmark and it would be really handy to have right now.
>>
>>49052238
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Whatcha brewing, anon?
>>
How do I create a touhou character?
Sorcerer with Fighter dip, so I can use Quicken Magic Missile > Magic Missile > Action Surge > Magic Missile?
>>
>>49052243
I was trying to make something similar to a Warcraft Shaman yesterday (I thought about multiclassing a Totem Barbarian into a Storm Sorcerer), but was thrown off by the fact TWF isn't really viable as a Barbarian, and you would have to sheathe your second weapon to cast spells.
I checked Tempest Cleric and Druid but those classes lack Extra Attack so I wouldn't really be getting what I want.
So I figured I'd try and homebrew something out instead.
>>
can anyone review curse of strahd for me without spoiling it?
>>
>>49051574
I like them.

After some 4 levels of it tho I tend to start multiclassing with rogue and shadow monk because there isn't any real point to playing a ranger after low levels.
>>
>>49052308
Its good
>>
>>49052308
Super neat
Dark but opportunities for humor
Get the Tarot cards if you can afford them
Good writing
Very modular
Lethal, but in a fun way
Interesting NPCs
Except her, she's just a McGuffin
Cool maps
Good art

Worth actually buying if you can afford it
>>
>>49052308
It's very good.
It requires a decent GM and players who are capable of talks my initiative though since the adventure is so non-linear; you're basically given this vague objective without much immediate direction on how to accomplish it and then you are turned loose. The players have to look up their own plot threads and follow their own leads.
Investigation is very important to the adventure. Not the skill, but actually investigating things, picking up on information and following it as a player and handing it out as a GM without giving away too much too soon.

The most impressive part about it for me is that except for the very beginning I've GMed it three separate times and in all three times it went very differently from the other games.
>>
>>49052149
Hunter as a rogue archetype, scout as a fighter archetype, that's what I'd do. Hunter gets some actual rogue abilities and relies on making several attacks, but it shouldn't take much tweaking it make it work. Scout is done by UA of course, and what remains of the ranger class (weird half spellcasting that doesn't even mimic the druid, favored enemy which is better done by pally or the blood hunter homebrew, and the companion which will never work in this edition and was never that good to begin with let's be honest) is easily tossed aside.
>>
>>49052297
TWF as a barb does ok. I believe that they get extra damage from rage on each of your attacks.
>>
>>49052413
maybe make the beastmaster part a druid subclass?
>>
>>49052444
I think the spirit companion from UA was a nice take on it. I don't think people just want an interchangable animal a bit stronger than what you can summon or just find, I think what they want from BM is the pet aspect, having an animal to care for and train and bond with. Spirit companions that take the physical forms of animals manage to do this I think, some GMs may have issues with it because it means it a pseudo-NPC that cannot die, but that shouldn't be too big a problem. For ranger as a separate class it made sense too, as the spellcasting, primeval awareness etc. can be as a result of the connection to these spirits, instead of being completely unexplained.

If you do a traditional animal companion though, it should definitely scale like wild shape does, not with the proficiency bonus to everything and level-based health. Not sure how I'd do it with wild shape charges and all but it makes sense then as a druid archetype.
>>
>>49052438
Yes, but you have other problems that make it less viable.
For TWF to be viable, you need to be able to use your Bonus Action to perform a off-hand attack. Rage, requires the use of a Bonus Action, you'd be missing out on your first attack. Not to mention if you go Berserker, Frenzy straight up offers you no benefits.
That, and you can't do any form of spellcasting while Raging, which would break the point of being a halfcaster.
I would've tried Fighter instead but given their martial focus, it wouldn't fit the fluff of what I'm going for.
>>
>>49052385
a decent gm should be no problem. the gm thats hosting is by far the best gm i ever had. his descriptions are amazing, you can tell he puts insane amounts of time in prepwork and also in thinking about how to be the best gm he can possibly be. he has a fucking blog about being a gm where he regularly posts articles and has released a bunch of pdf's on the dm'S guild.
>>
>>49051574
Because exploration pillar of D&D is weak AF, so being the boss of exploration means fuck-all.
>>
>>49052556
If you want a Warcraft shaman, you want a Totem Barb anyways.

Bardbarian might work if you take Valor and Totem.
>>
>>49052555
which UA was that?
>>
>>49052733
UA: Ranger. It was their first whole retake on the ranger and wasn't well-received.

The next take is supposed to come out either next month or the month after.
>>
>>49052820
I play/DM encounters, we often get younger kids (<12)in the stone. Whenever the DM so much as mentions an animal, be it a horse pulling wagons, a dog in an alley, a goat on a distant mountaintop, they always demand to catch and train it.

I hope WotC realizes this: many players don't care about traditions of the class or previous editions- they want to play pokemon.
>>
>>49052675
I'd just recommend not being a whiny faggot if your character dies then. It's a good adventure. Oh, and maybe don't pick an evil character. Kinda ruins the point.
>>
File: halfling tavern brawler.webm (489KB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
halfling tavern brawler.webm
489KB, 202x360px
>Favorite Spell
Going to have to go with Command. My 3rd level Vengence Paladin was able to save our party from a group of 3 Succubi who charmed them. He was tending to a wounded ally in a shelter and came out when he heard shit going down.

He cast Command on one to grovel because he was too far for anything else, After that, he smite'd the one who was groveling. Then successfully Bane'd the 2 left by cutting his hand and using his own blood as the spell component.

He then chased down the second one and killed it. THen as the third was flying away, he threw a javelin and missed. By this point the warlock and sorceror snapped out of their charmed state and proceeded to Eldritch Blast and Fire Bolt it. Great times.

I'm going to enter my friends campaign as an 8th level Half-Orc Coastal Circle of the Land Druid/4 and Battlemaster Fighter/4 who uses the manuavers that focus on giving allies actions
I'm debating on having a level of Barbarian just for Unarmored Defense because it's cool and fits with the backstory I wrote for him. The campaign is so deadly that I'm not concerned about what's beyond the next level.

I love mixing magic and martials!
>>
>>49052977
i've played enough dnd to know that kind of thing breaks an official campaign. i'm pretty sure those books even tell you to specifically not do that.
and dying is fine. i hate it when gms give me the feeling that there are never any repurcussions and every pc death will magically be avoided or whatever. also it obviously sucks if someone would intentionally kill a character, which i have heared some gms do, but ive never had that in my games. but in generaly i feel like there needs to be a sense of real danger to make the game fun. a gm should be firm on the rules.
but i know the gm is that kind of gm. we played rage of demons last and had a bunch of pc deaths.
>>
>>49053385
Sounds like you should be good then.
>>
Is the moon druid become more balance after level 4 or 5? I don't want to overshadow our resident martials.
>>
>>49053562
More or less, yeah. Their damage doesn't scale very well, especially compared to the big spike martials get at 5th.
>>
>>49053562
midgame is where they start to fall off, so it'll start there

but their op is their survivability, not really their damage. so all you are at that point, is a wall of meat
>>
File: even-amundsen-168-the-break.jpg (317KB, 1920x1254px) Image search: [Google]
even-amundsen-168-the-break.jpg
317KB, 1920x1254px
>I got ya, anon
>>
wheres that storm kings thunder at?
>>
>>49053871
Would you stop bloody asking and wait for it to come on it's own already?
Seriously, asking every new thread is in the most literal sense possible not even remotely speed up the process of it getting scanned.
>>
>>49053945
Indeed. If someone wants a particular page or small section, that is one thing. A page or a few for personal perusal are relatively easy to do. But high-quality scans fit for permanent enshrining in the Mega? That takes time.
>>
>>49053871

Let the publisher get a week or two of sales before releasing it. I hate Mearls and a lot of how Wizards of the Co$t do business but so far they've been pretty straight with 5E compared to previous editions or MtG
>>
Thaumaturgy. It's a cantrip that I use pretty much every session in a lot of different and creative ways.
>>
Mending is incredibly useful. Mending, Mold Earth, and Mage Hand are up there on the useful utility list.
>>
Any homebrews for guns? I want some WIld West in my campaign
>>
Did you check the DMG? It has suggestions for firearms.
>>
>>49054575
Im not shilling because its pay what you want, but on the DM Guild there's a good Gunslinger archetype for the fighter by Matt Mercer
>>
>>49053591
>>49053612
I'm actually looking at their "fun" ability. Like Toad's Swallow or Giant Octopus's auto grapple (with restrict) at range. That will help the martials shine even more.
>>
>>49052229
From ages ago:

I like the idea of Wizard Magic being like cheat codes, and GOO granted magic being like glitch hacks. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nhjT1bsPE

So your GOO patron gives you your powers through you doing small, innocuous, nonsensical things, because they serve a function on a structural level you cannot comprehend.

>Servant, take that apple and put it in the mango stall!
>Servant, break that branch into four parts, form three of them into a triangle, and keep the fourth part! I will tell you what to do with that later.
>Servant, turn that mug of ale 13 degrees clockwise!
>>
>>49052280
5e doesn't really allow character customization. Everyone of every class is the same.

Goddammit why do I even play this, still.
>>
>>49054795
>>49052229
How does one RP a lock? Especially a GOO lock?

cause for Wizard are basic general magic used
Sorc are people that have great inborn magic skills
I am not sure how the pact in generally really plays out
>>
>>49054840
Not game mechanic wise, but flavor wise each Wizard is different and has different magic missile/casting style.
>>
Trying to make a Raccoon totem because I want a gnome to have some nice fluff if for some reason they become a berserker. Working on it but these are some ideas.

3rd level: When you enter a rage you may cast a 1st-level illusion spell with a cast time of 1 action as a part of the same bonus action. During your rage you are treated as concentrating on that spell if it requires concentration but any effects vanish at the end of your rage. Components are not required when using this feature.

Looked at the master of many faces invocation here, but seeing as the rage is more limiting added a few things. Mainly drawing on the gnome pantheon for inspiration considering they are tied to Raccoons.

6th: You gain the craftiness of a raccoon. You gain proficiency in two skills and two tools of your choice.

Skilled feat as a baseline but better/worse. Not sure.

14th: When raging and aren't wearing medium or heavy armor you gain advantage on DEX saving throws, as well as a +2 dodge bonus to AC.

Kinda crapped it out but what would you have for a raccoon totem?
>>
>>49055171
How to role play a Not!Alchemist transmuter?
>>
>>49055252
Can't cast while raging.
Also can't concentrate while raging.

For the 14 feature barbs won't be wearing armor period, as they get unarmored defense.

Instead, make them blind people in an XYZ range when entering rage with a CON save, and maybe something that gives them like Uncanny Dodge; Rage Edition
>>
>>49054717
>>49054693
Thank you
>>
>>49055301
> Animorph
> Super Hero (Alter Self for Wolverine Claw, Spider Climb and Web for Spider-man)
> Time mage
> Not!Tracer
>>
>>49051574

They solve problems a lot of groups prefer to solve in other ways and they're home to the notably weird Beastmaster archetype which is designed for combos involving warm bodies in melee range, reactions, nets, crossbows, and/or animal-only abilities. And a lot of people jumped ship to 5e to get away from that style of play to begin with.

I once described a ranger as being "really good at the parts of the game the DM is ignoring" and its still accurate. Game as written they're great, game as played all but the Hunter tend to be underwhelming.
>>
>>49055403
> Not!Tracer

So... Tracer?
>>
>>49055301
transmuter is one of the worst, most boring wizard specs. Good luck.
>>
>>49055729
At least it's not evoker
I'm super tired of illusionists but mostly because they have that guy tendencies
>>
>>49055403
I've wanted to play a Time Wizard for a while but are there any spells to refluff to actually suit it?
>>
>>49055785
Misty Step and Haste both come to mind.
Anything that can give extra movement or actions.
>>
>>49055779
>spoiler
what do you mean 'that guy'
>>
>>49055785
Divination and Lucky both could be refluffed into changing the future.
>>
>>49055637
Genderbender Tracer, love.
>>
>>49055785
Misty Step, Blink, Haste, Slow

Telekinesis if you want to do Dio.
>>
>>49055785
Hold Person/Monster work great for this, actually freezing the target in time rather than just paralyzing them (no real change). I really like Blur and Mirror Image for this as well; Blur can be blending time together so they are seeing a set of composite images from the near future and past, while MI nabs images of yourself at different points in time and has them run around.
>>
File: black_mage_by_marcks-d3knhhh.jpg (68KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
black_mage_by_marcks-d3knhhh.jpg
68KB, 600x848px
>>49055779
What's wrong with Evoker?!
>>
File: stupid sexy serial killa.png (709KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
stupid sexy serial killa.png
709KB, 800x565px
Best way to make pic related?
I'm going to plan the whole "Serial Killer just wants to be left alone" bait-n-switch with my players and wondered if you anons have tips
>>
>>49057319
dont
>>
Trying to make a Mime/Blue Mage type character.

I was thinking of a Wizard who starts with Absorb Elements and Chromatic Orb, and then you absorb any magic that is shot at you and then you use chromatic orb to shoot back w/e type of spell was shot at you.

Was also thinking of making him an illusion-wizard so that I can say I "mimic" abilities or w/e, even if it doesnt actually happen, but it looks that way. So say someone launches a catapult. I could cast minor illusion to make it seem like i mimic that and shoot my own catapult rock thing. Then later on things like phantasmal force and counterspell kinda play into that.

Also having Disguise Self and the Actor feat. So you can just copy appearances easily enough. Just for theming anyways. Doesnt make sense for a Mime/Blue Mage to be good at what they do without being some kind of trickster character.

Any other suggestions?
>>
Does anyone have any resources or rules for running a sea campaign? I'm working on making my own homebrew hex crawl sea campaign but wanted to see what others had come up with rules wide for it.

Will post what I've come up with mine so far if anyone's interested.
>>
>>49052820

I'm wondering if that's all we'll get next month of if there'll be more with it.
>>
>>49057512
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

This should get you started.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ALfscm6mN-L_4kM&cid=D17FC36584612420&id=D17FC36584612420%213776&parId=D17FC36584612420%213717&o=OneUp

Should help as well (3.5 Stormwrack)
>>
>>49055252

Casting spells while raging is dumb (and an illusion spell to boot??)

6th is probably okay

14th is dumb for several reasons but the big one here is barbarians already have advantage on dex saving throws
>>
>>49057319
It should be based on frigging off, pal.
>>
>>49055785

I remember seeing a really, really neat school of chronomancy homebrew, if you'd be interested in that.
>>
>>49057319

there's probably not a good way to make him

don't be so derivative anyways. jojo's great but i'd feel cheap if the dm just copy pasted a character from it into the campaign.
>>
>>49052149

do I really have to see ytr's fucking smug face posted even when I'm not on /wooo/?
>>
> Want to try all class
> Only have 1 weekly table
;_;
>>
>>49056213
I mean like the kind of guy who thinks he should auto pass intimidate checks because he cast thaumaturgy to make his voice a bit louder

>>49057297
It's the most boring Wizard school because it's just blasting and over channel or whatever it's called isn't as interesting as sorcerer metamagic
>>
>>49057782
>Forever DM with a newborn.

Checkmate athiest.
>>
>>49052297
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1tPjORr

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyY8YYB7

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1WyHnEZvkZJ-_8kfNE5_0_GWgiQoM0OuMecnJCQvz4/edit

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyjbBsa

http://imgur.com/a/IIq0D

http://imgur.com/a/qmzuU
>>
>>49057817
Just have to wait for a few years, bring your kid/s up right, and you can forever DM for them and their friends, too!
>>
>>49055045
I imagine the 'lock wouldn't have a standard patronage with a GOO; rather, the lock through some means has stumbled on a way to glimpse their secrets and harness those powers, challenging their understanding of the multiverse. Whether or not the GOO approves or even cares could be up for speculation.
>>
>>49057803
Yeah, but Sorcerers aren't interesting Black Mages. Blasting isn't boring anyway, it's fun. I get hard thinking about incinerating people
>>
>>49055729
You're way wrong. Turning people you don't like into newts is classic wizard, and is never not fun.
>>
File: henry.jpg (2MB, 971x1274px) Image search: [Google]
henry.jpg
2MB, 971x1274px
>>49055045
this cheeky fucker
>>
>>49058253
What's stopping me from doing that with a useful and interesting specialization instead?
>>
>>49058287
>what's stopping me?
...uhhh...being a bitch? kek.
>>
>>49058365
I mean, I am playing a wizard, I figured that was assumed.
>>
>>49058177

I think the opinion that evocation is boring because it's "just blasting" is funny because the evocation school doesn't lock you out of not blasting spells, it just makes your blasting easier to use without fucking over your team. You can still use all of your not blast spells fine, it just means you can throw a fireball into melee without chunking their HP too.
>>
>>49058678
Yeah but compared to other options - like conjugation and illusion - "better blasts" is dull
>>
>>49058708
*conjuration
>>
>>49058708

Illusion school is definitely the most flavorful but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Evocation and if you're playing a Wizard to get to their blast spells I would almost recommend it whole heartedly. It's a lot harder to blast when you're trying not to hurt your teammates too (even at level 11 a good fireball damage roll will take out a third of my fighter's HP) and Sculpt Spell solves that issue at level 2.

There's the sorcerer metamagic too, but that just makes it so they pass their saving throw, it doesn't protect them entirely from the spell. A sorcerer can't lightning bolt themselves in the face and use sculpt spell to kill a swarm of stirges on them without hurting themselves (this is something I had to do to not die a few sessions ago).
>>
What are good 5e modules for a group completely new to roleplaying? Everyone says Lost Mine - I've read it, I'm not super into it, is there anything else? I would actually just make my own adventure but I think the group will be reassured by a module for their cherry popping.
>>
>>49058708
>The Conjugation school of Wizardry
I wumbo, you wumbo, he, she, we wumbo...
>I cast enlarge at second level
>>
File: Alva & Zullie.jpg (61KB, 500x890px) Image search: [Google]
Alva & Zullie.jpg
61KB, 500x890px
If you were to go about making a Dark Souls-esque pyromancer, how would you go about it? Which class and what spells, especially the non-fire stuff like Flash Sweat.
>>
How much weight can an Imp fly with?
>>
Anyone know how the Rune Magic from Storm King's works? I've just been wanting to include it in my campaign as extra loot
>>
>>49058985

Probably a sorcerer who's been refluffed.

Pyromancy in Darksouls doesn't seem to be like Wizardry magic.
>>
>>49058985
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14FHlH6QSLtSFEChsKlr_1WNzu40-zT1t-7kChYEStc0/edit
>>
Other than GOO Warlock, is there a way for me to get constant telepathy?
minate

I want to be a mute Warforged who communicate with people through heart!
>>
>>49059344
Nah, you gotta be a Warlock, i think.
I dont know of any other class that has Telepathy desu, but i know enough about playing anything at levels 1-3 to know that only Warlock has Telepathy that isnt a spell which would need a long-rest recharge.

It might be cool to make your GOO an ancient machine that existed on the planet before the age of organic beings and your Warforged is tuned into its radio signal and it broadcasts messages to your robot brain.
>>
File: 1464375928475.png (1MB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1464375928475.png
1MB, 1800x1800px
I'm considering the merits of a GWM Hunter Ranger. Potentially getting an extra attack each turn when there are multiple enemies, at level 3, is a pretty huge boost. But I feel that eventually it'd be best to multiclass into something else.
6th level is just an additional favored enemy and terrain. 7th gives fairly potent defenses. 8th is another ASI and Land's Stride, which is pretty forgettable. 9 is dead except for access to a single 3rd level spell and 2 slots for it. 10th is another terrain and Hide in Plain Sight, basically dead. Whirlwind Attack is the last potentially useful combat ability, and only if you can do more with a single attack on all enemies within 5 feet than you could with Extra Attack. The rest is all just utility that seems very weak for those high levels.
When's the best time to jump ship, then? Immediately after Extra Attack?
What classes would be good to move into? Barbarians could add some tasty bonus rage damage, even if you couldn't cast spells during that time. Fighters can also pile on some damage with Superiority Dice. Cleric could make things much more casty. Of course, going to 5 and getting a second serving of Extra Attack doesn't do anything, but it's optimistic to plan that far ahead for a game anyways.
>>
File: Don't give up, skeleton!.png (1MB, 1280x1097px) Image search: [Google]
Don't give up, skeleton!.png
1MB, 1280x1097px
>>49059147
I'm more interested in official spells, not homebrew. Probably would roll a sorcerer, per >>49059089.
>>
>>49051407
Any ideas for class paths to sell at the DMsguild?
I need money.
>>
>>49059344
Ghostwise Halflings from Faerun have it.
>>
>>49059785

You might be able to find a good fire based sorcerer origin ala stormborn but refluffing the red dragon blood sorcerer would work well for your purposes.

their are plenty of fire spells too, some of them like flame whip could just be a refluffed scorching ray.
>>
>>49059077

They're items, actually. "Ingots" of metal with a particular symbol that give certain powers themselves but can also be sacrificed to permanently enchant existing mundane materials and locations. All you'd basically need is the picture of the item descriptions that are floating around.
>>
>>49060308
Water whip but with fire?
>>
>>49060505

As a 4 elements monk sure.
>>
OMG After not being able to play an actual character (ForeverDM 12 years and counting), I finally get to play this weekend.

Suggestions for characters?

Fuck what the rest of the group is, just give me suggestions from any available book, and even entertaining homebrews (although i kinda want to stick with official content, don't know when I'll be able to play again).
>>
>>49059889

>class paths

I buy a ton of shit off DM's Guild, more than I'll ever possibly use, but almost never class options. Maybe that's because I'm a ForeverDM, but I think you'd do better with new monsters or something else. I could be wrong tho.
>>
>>49059598
>best point to jump ship on a ranger
that'd be 3
if you're ranged, then you stay till volley. melee has to pretty much be surrounded to want to use whirlwind.
otherwise if you're going a class that doesnt get an extra attack, you can stay till 5
>>
Does anyone here know, if the tomb of horrors is avaible for 5e in some form?
>>
>>49060760
Thanks for the advice, anon.
>>
I'm new to this kind of stuff, so I wanted to ask you: should I use an average damage and to-hit for players spells and weapons, or should I roll every dice every time, as in a roguelike?
I feel like it would be easier and faster to give them an average, but then I wouldn't get to experience the shenanigans of missing the hit on a non-moving naked orc in front of you or killing the dragon with the maximum damage on every roll.
>>
>>49061025
I'd roll for it.
Rolling dice is kind of a big thing in D&D.
>>
>>49060832
That's fair, but if I wanted to be ranger early (and benefit from having some band-aid spells) I'd then not get Extra Attack until total level 8.
I suppose I could just put 5 levels into Barbarian or Fighter first, but then it feels a lot less like "GWM Ranger" than "GWM with a ranger hat"
...Then again, there may not be a difference.
>>
>>49061079
yeah, rangers better for dips into, rather than dips out of. if you were going ranged, you would be better off. stay till 5 if you want, it also nabs you an asi, but if you're fighter or barb, then extra attack is less useful, like you said
>>
What are some of the more out-there actions one can take as a grappler? Caber tossing? Grinding someone's face along terrain?
>>
Dancer anon back again. This time I've broken things down into 3 styles, that give a passive effect and an empowered effect that consumes a reaction and Bardic Inspiration die. I'm still short one passive ability, and could definitely use input polishing the ones I have.
>>
Find Familiar:

You may use an action to - until the end of your next turn - use the familiar's senses. And to quote what this does to your own senses, "During this time you are blind and deaf with regards to your own senses."
Since you can see yourself and the people fighting you through your familiar's eyes, are you, by RAW:

a) Suffering from the blinded and deafened condition?
b) Suffering from the blinded and deafened condition, and also attacks against you count as 'unseen attacks'?
c) Suffering from some other rule which limits your abilities when not using your own senses?
d) As long as you can see yourself, you are not suffering from the blinded/deafened condition, and as long as you can see your enemies, they do not count as unseen attacks?
e) You must do something else other than simply being seen by your familiar to prevent the blinded/deafened condition (such as mount the familiar on your head)?
f) Other?
>>
>>49061073
Thanks. Also, what's the difference between a DMPC and a permanent NPC in a party controlled by the DM?
>>
>>49061435
most all of those require the question "where is the familiar in refrence to you"
yeah, if he's in a different room, no, if hes close to you. so the likely answer is d.
you could just make it more complex if you want, but d is the most logical and easiest, without compensating for animal vision/hearing ranges and the like

on that note, if you're using your pets senses in a setting where you're getting attacked, something is most likely wrong already
>>
>>49061525
DMPC is a moniker used for NPC's that the DM uses as a self-insert. They usually end up having the right answers, or doing cooler stuff than the PC's, or otherwise becoming centers of attention themselves.
>>
>>49061597
He's probably talking about the cat thing from Storm king's thunder where it has autosee-invisibility
>>
File: 5265623-4409041796-Screa.jpg (104KB, 754x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5265623-4409041796-Screa.jpg
104KB, 754x1024px
How on the nose / obnoxious would this be?

An Aarokocra Paladin that looked like pic related, but using this homebrew Oath: http://imgur.com/a/XZ9Gn
>>
>>49060760
>something else
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49061597
Some pets have the ability to see invisibility or have darkvision or have blindsense, which may prove useful at lower levels. That's probably the main reason you'd use it in combat.
>>
>>49061668
>>49061658
thats pretty much why i added "in relation to you"
sure you can have your flycat 10 feet above the battlefield straight over your head, but then its 5hp is going to die all the time
or you can put it much higher and keep it safe, and now it cant hear for you, nor see as well
>>
https://youtu.be/subQrEPKytA
>>
>>49061629
I see. I saw the term pop up a lot and I thought that a DM using an NPC to help a low-members party was frowned upon. Now I see it's only looked down if the DM uses it as a railroading medium.Thanks again.
>>
>>49061661
>How [...] obnoxious would [...] homebrew
Yes.
>>
>>49061714
A helper NPC should be lower level than the party and do something that facilitates the party's awesomeness instead of taking any spotlight for itself.
>>
>>49061661
The level 7 ability is overpowered.

>>49061704
Most enemies won't attack a cat on your hat that, if it could attack, would have a crappy +0 with 1 damage attack when they could instead be attacking a squishy spellcaster.

If it was flying, someone might snipe it because it's easier to see from up there sometimes.

And if it dies, it's not a big deal to replace anyway. But it should be fine if you put it into its pocket dimension or wear it as a hat, maybe.
>>
Anybody know of a necromanct Bard college? Am I going to have to try and make one myself?
>>
>>49061811
Be a lore bard, steal animate dead at 6th?
>>
>>49051407
Someone scanned stormlords yet?
>>
File: demon_sage_by_jasontn-d9g4u3o.jpg (180KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
demon_sage_by_jasontn-d9g4u3o.jpg
180KB, 1024x640px
>>49061267
I don't know enough about balance to offer insight in that aspect, but I do like how this looks and look forward to the finished product.
>>
>>49060674
a mailman. any class/race
>>
>>49061763
Yeah, I wasn't talking about letting the level 20 NPC "Dante From the Devil May Cry Series" getting into the party permanently, but about the level 1 monk that joins the party after they tell him the mad cult of the Dragoons captured his daughter to offer her as a sacrifice to a dragon lord.
I'm about to DM for just 2 other guys, so I felt they might end up getting trouble on some instances with only 2 characters.
>>
>>49061881
So Human Barbarian, then?
>>
How would you go about building a druid bard?
>>
>>49062196
Hermit background
20 levels in Bard because it's the best fucking class in the game

roleplay as tom fucking bombadil or some shit, i dont give a fuck
>>
>>49062259
>Hermit Bard
>Tom Bombadil

Wow, that actually works.
>>
>>49062259
This pretty much
>>
>>49062259
>20 levels in Bard because it's the best fucking class in the game

By what measurement?
>>
>>49062287
fuck you
>>
Making a 6th level Swashbuckler with the Magic Initiate feat for Find Familiar to get a sweet bird pet.

I know I'm going to take Booming Blade as 1 cantrip, but for the other one I guess I'm gonna take Shocking Grasp so I can get some mileage out of my familiar outside of the Help action.

Any suggestions as to why I shouldn't other than pure flavor reasons? Is there a better choice that gives me more options in the long run?
>>
>>49062287
Because fuck you, I'm Tom Bombadil, that's why.
>>
>>49062259
Cool.

But lets say you have to multiclass with the majority of the levels going into druid. How'd you do it?
>>
>>49061867
Nothing beyond the magic item section, as far as I've seen.
>>
>>49062317
Shocking grasp isn't very useful when you already don't provoke opportunity on melee attacks. Maybe useful for helping friends, but you should probably take a different melee-range thing.

Spare the dying would work well with the familiar if you could get it, but you can't.

If you want to get your familiar in melee range, make them use the help action instead, it'd be more useful for you, probably. The only real advantage of having a touch cantrip is allowing your familiar to fight things where nobody else in the party can go before it dies.

A spell like light is pretty useful. Even true strike might work if you can't make a ranged attack that would sneak attack or a utility spell such as mage hand or minor illusion could come in useful.

I'll say, true strke is probably most useful to the BB/GFB rogue out of any class. It's still pretty situational though, since you'd only use it when you can't actually make an attack that turn, or when you're preparing to fight something.
>>
Speaking of druids. What's the best druid/monk split?
Basically seems to me that a land druid could do a better version of way of the four elements when multiclassed with monk. Am I wrong? Just take elemental spells from your druid tree (even fucking change them up daily) and then take the open hand path for your monk levels. Have more utility and be decent in melee?
>>
>>49062350
Druid 20.

If you ever reach level 17 or so, it is MUCH better to be a pure caster, as you get spells such as foresight.
>>
I don't get why people give the warlock so much grief for only having two spell slots until level 10. The idea of the class is simple and solid...

In the early levels you have one low level spell every short rest. You get flexibility in what you cast, since you don't need to worry about wasting it on a damage spell since eldritch blast is a thing.

In the middle levels you get invocations, which essentially become your new low level spells, except you can cast them at will. You get an additional mid-level spell for short rest now too, so you at least get at least 4 to 6 spells a day, not including your at will invocations.

In the late levels you get 4 high level spells once per day, 8-12 mid level spells a day (around 16 per day when you're at the capstone), and a grab bag of at will low level spells.

And on top of all this, a warlock can switch out his spells and invocations as he levels, which leads to the class have so much adaptability to whatever direction the campaign takes.

Why anyone would claim that the warlock's spellcasting is gimped is beyond me.
>>
>>49062453
>Why anyone would claim that the warlock's spellcasting is gimped is beyond me.

This mostly has to do with how much of the warlock's daily power it can bring to any one situation and the warlock's relatively weaker spell list.

I don't think warlock is bad but I'm not going to pretend it's as good as a wizard or a cleric.
>>
>>49062135
yes, whose life quest is to deliver mail.
gods have mercy on those who stand in his way, for he has none to spare.
>>
File: Welcome To Barovia.webm (570KB, 325x183px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome To Barovia.webm
570KB, 325x183px
>>49061267
Here are my thoughts

> Bonus proficiencies
I read past them, was going to end the post by saying you should add something like this feature, and reread just in case. Good thing I did. It's a pretty good feature, adds a lot to the theme.

> Movements of Grace
I think it should be an action to switch between movements, since being progressively able to master all 3 of them is pretty damn strong.

> Adagio
Very good.

> Reprise
Pretty good.
Temporary hit points tend to try and last until depleted, by 5e design - with, of course, a few exceptions. It'd be far too strong in this occurrence of Reprise, but I'm just saying, food for thoughts and all.

> Marcato
Maybe it could simply make weapons in range deal magical damage for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

> Accelerando
> After a creature uses this effect, the bonus increases by 1.
I do not understand this sentence. Which effect? Which creature? Which usage?

> Vivace & Fermata
Pretty good. Half of their movement speed for everyone might be a bit too much.

> Enhancements in general
I think active enhancements should always use the roll on the bardic inspiration that was expended. At the moment only Reprise does that, and I feel like it'd be closer to 5e design (see martial maneuvers).
I also think you'd have an easier time balancing these if they were targeting one creature (you could even have one of these be an offensive feature) with the same range as the bardic inspiration feature.

> Spellbound Inspiration
Weak, but by design, which is pretty reasonable.

> Maestro of Dance
A bit boring but, yeah, it's pretty fucking strong. Maybe too strong. I'd probably go for something else, something a bit more flashy, just in case. I don't know.

> All in all
Pretty good. Might need a bit more polish, but it's honestly better than some of the "work" WotC do as UA. A few more iterrations should do the trick.
>>
>>49062424
You're really good at not answering the question.

To be clear, I'm perfectly aware of the restrictions multiclassing brings.
>>
>>49062453
Most of those first invocations will likely be used up on eldritch blast.

And eldritch blast is certainly a very powerful cantrip, that definitely outclasses the at-will output of other classes.
Though, unlike a wizard, they can't spam things like shield.
They can't cast rituals.
Their high level 6, 7, 8, 9 spells cannot be used for upcasting and there is only one spell known for each of them - probably even worse than a sorcerer.

They'll get to use level 5 spells more than anyone, and that could certainly make up for things at later levels, but...

Until then, you can't save up lots of spells for the big bossfights, you have to rely on your DM pacing things correctly and you have to upcast lower level spells if you want to use them.

The warlock has the least flexibility out of all of the full casters, but they are made unique with their invocations and they have a staple 'I'll just stand here and blast things' cantrip.

The warlock as a class is not bad. It has things it can do that are unique, and it can be fun to play. But I think generally it's not as good as a wizard, who has immense power and versatility, and a great well of spell slots to burn up. Enough that they may not even have to resort to cantrips sometimes later on.

I think I would've liked to see warlock get an additional defining feature or spell or two. That's all, really. Maybe something that makes eldritch blast more versatile.
>>
Need advice. Starting a new campaign and someone in my party is playing a Warlock. Instead of a Patron, they state that they essentially absorbed a demon into themselves for their source of power though the demon still lives and they are in a constant wrestle for control of the body. She wants to play it as she has to state the demon within her every so often or else they grow more aggravated over time and pose a bigger threat to take control.

I know it sounds edgy as fuck But I have played with her in the past and she has proven she can play well developed characters so idgaf.

But as a DM, how should I play this "demon." So far it's just your typical "I like to burn shit" demon, so should I make the warlock have tendencies to want to set shit on fire now and then just to sate the demon? What are some clever ways I can play this guy?
>>
>>49061661
I say go for irony and make it an Oath of Vengeace Paladin. Make your enemy either a race of humanoids, a cult that follows a very charismatic/genocidal leader, or lizardfolk.
>>
File: ConanTheMailman.jpg (214KB, 791x510px) Image search: [Google]
ConanTheMailman.jpg
214KB, 791x510px
>>49062534
For the giggles.
>>
>>49062573
I dunno, maybe try to give the demon an actual attainable goal.
Have it play reverse psychology and mind games to get her to do things it wants without her realizing it.
Maybe there's some portal to the abyss it wants opened so its brethren can spread chaos on the material plane. And it is trying to subtly and at times not so subtly achieve that end.
>>
Suggestions / help on how to flesh out an evil Knowledge domain cleric? I'm thinking Vecna as the god.

I'm having trouble creating a backstory for such, or even how to go about as an adventurer. The goal is someone whose ideal is "Knowledge is Power, and I will become a god." Definitely going evil, but subtlety so. Not so much the Riddler, but in the same vein.
>>
>>49062317

>shocking grasp

take prestigidignation, minor illusion, message, or mage hand instead of a cantrip you're never going to use because booming blade is better in almost every way.
>>
>>49061267
Level 3 - It should state when you can use the reaction to enhance the dance. Can you use it before an enemy hits an ally who's about to go down? Can you use it at any time at all? Can you use it when a monster is about to attack to make everyone flee?

I think the level 3 bonus proficiencies could include something extra, too. Perhaps performance as well.

Also, the accelerating damage effect should needs some restriction.
It may prove overpowered in large parties, especially when you have a wizard who casts magic missile as a level 9 spell.
Want to know what happens when a wizard casts magic missile as a level 9 spell?
They automatically hit and roll for damage... 11 times.
You now have a +12 to damage every time an ally hits after that.

The level 6 and 14 abilties are bland, but considering the bard learns new dance styles at that point, I think it evens out in interest.

I think the only thing I'd really change is an additional proficiency for level 3, making the accelerating dance style limited and...
Also, only one of the bardic die uses on a dance requires you to roll your inspiration die.
The other two should, too. That's what the point of battlemaster/bardic inspiration dice are.
>>
>>49062408

>druid/monk split
>better versiono f way of the four elements

you're just going to suck at both if you try to split. No Ki for your open hand features (flurry of blows basically) and low level druid spells for your druid features.
>>
>>49062573

Wait...so she's roleplayng the warlock and you are roleplaying the demon?

Made me think of Ling and Greed from FMA : Brotherhood.

Greed is a Homunculous who is the personification of Greed. He's not evil though, because he is super loyal to those who are loyal to him due to his perception being "i own these people, they are my treasured possessions."

Ling trades his body to Greed for immortality to become Emperor of his land far to the East. Greed agrees because he really likes Ling's attitude and greed.

Though Greed is in charge of Ling's body now, Ling's consciousness still remains in the brain.

Atleast thats how i remember it.
>>
>>49062370
And the Tressym and Maegera, the Dawn Titan statblocks.
>>
>>49062408
Moond Druid 2/Monk X. Embrace your animal forms as your true self and learn your martial arts simultaneously in all forms! Then crush your foes beneath you as you become the cricket of doom!
>>
>>49062565

Why?
>>
Has anyone come up with any alternatives to the Great Weapon Fighting style? Something about the whole "reroll one die" thing doesn't sit well with me, and it seems so clunky compared to how simple the other fighting styles are. Has anyone written up some decent homebrew fighting styles?
>>
>>49062196
>>49062259
More seriously though, your question sucks. Both classes are full casters, meaning multiclass is going to weaken them a lot. And, to add insult to injury, they obviously don't share the same spellcasting ability.
So it really depends for what character you're going here, because clearly it's not about building the most optimal character.

And then, again, it depends of what you want from your character. The best way to multiclass, when you don't really care about optimal, is to look at what you want your character to be able to offer.
Melee? Ranged? Do you want extra attacks? Do you want Land's specialties? Do you want combat-viable wildshapes? Spells from other classes?

Or better yet, stop asking yourself stupid question, just play the game, and you'll see what you like the most with each level you take.

One dumb thing is that you technically can use your Bardic Inspiration while wildshaping. That's fucking dumb as shit, but so are Druids, so who cares.
>>
How does portent work from an RPing perspective? For instance, an ally casts a fireball, I make the enemy save a 2 and they die. What did my character do to make them get a 2?
>>
>>49063002
You simply altered fate.

Fuck wizards, fuck their books, and fuck you.
>>
>>49063002
You could say that your character told the ally where to aim and when to time that fireball so it perfectly hit that creature.
>>
>>49063002
It's a fortune-telling coming true ability. You had a vague vision of that event happening and the moment you invoked it was the vision becoming clear.
>>
>>49063002
Your character did nothing themselves, but they foresaw, divined, that failure. It's a bit of a meta ability that lets you retroactively change exactly what you foresaw.
>>
>>49063002
You already knew they were getting it

You saw it earlier, you didnt DO anything
>>
>>49062745
Nah, not exactly. I am DMing, and because she is gonna have something inside of her that is gonna want to screw her over "Possibly." That now and then I am gonna have the Demon try and do shit like how some DM's tell Warlocks that their Patron's demand them to do something over be punished.

>>49062640
She is trying to work with me to make this character work and for this Demon to be neat though not too much of a back pain for the party. One hook she gave (which I kinda liked) is the demon was trapped in a book hundreds of years ago and kept in her noble families possession as safe-keeping. The book lured her when she was young, tempting her with power and when she just slightly indulged herself with it the consequence was it turned her into a Teifling. If she went with this route she was gonna use the book as a Pact Tome.

I considered that maybe once every few days she had to make a Wisdom saving throw during dire, stressful times. On a failed save she is unable to stop the book from putting her into a trance and read from its pages. Now at this point I was thinking she would have to make a roll on the meta-magic table. However with your idea I could modify it too that one of the rolls could be that she summons some lesser demons.
>>
What do you all think about contracting warlocks to act as turrets on a boat for ship-to-ship combat?
>>
File: Best not..gif (960KB, 338x350px) Image search: [Google]
Best not..gif
960KB, 338x350px
Okay, quick question:
Would an anti-magic field nullify a paladin's aura?
I don't think it would do anything to a Monk's Ki but any advice on that would be gratefully received too!
>>
>>49063196
I think that's a great idea. Also, my group fancies themselves sailors and I've been trying to think of something new to throw at them for the open seas, so thanks for that.
>>
>>49062889
The fact there is no roll represents you knew it was going to happen. If there was a roll, you would have been unsure if it'd happen.

Of course, something such as 'lucky' can require a reroll of it.
>>
>>49063335
I'd say no to both paladin and monk stuff, since neither of those are called out as spells or as anything else in the antimagic field spell description. Something like the four elements ki powers that explicitly mimic spells, though, I'd say would be affected by antimagic field.
>>
>>49063367
Yeah I'm thinking of a pseudo-spacejammer setting and that came to mind.
They'd be loyal to Baal and travel around in a black ship with pentagrams painted on it in blood with skulls everywhere, sort of like chaos ships from 40k, and would plunder ships and look for treasure.
>>
>>49063335
As per antimagic field, a level 8 spell, unless the magical effect is created by a diety or artefact it is suppressed until it leaves the area.

Here's the tricky part.
Supernatural effects aren't necessarily suppressed.

Ki is specifically stated to be a 'mystic energy'.

It's sort of down to how much of a dick the DM is, but it's probably fair to say that if something does not heavily imply or use the word 'magic' then it won't be affected.
>>
>>49063335
>>49063461
Sorry, I missed the real tricky part.
The REAL tricky part is that on page 76 there is an entire paragraph making ki out to be a magical energy. Specifically magical.

Paladin's aura could be seen as magical since it states 'aura', but it doesn't really specify it as magic.
>>
>>49063196
>>49063367
i think they would be logically more akin to grapeshot than an actual cannon, and thus, would most likely be more "boarding pirates" rather than long range pirates
>>
>>49063394
I would say the aura of good is hidden, similar to how magic weapon auras are hidden in a amf, but not monk.
>>
>>49062883
It may appear clunky but if you reroll 100 2s into 4s that's 200 damage that you wouldn't have done otherwise. It works especially well with Greatswords. That fighting style makes it so I can regularly do crazy damage every turn and I would never swap it out.
>>
>>49063537
Yeah, unless the warlocks know Elditch Spear and/or Spell Sniper, but then again I don't know much about ship-to-ship combat.
>>
File: Dracula1_small.jpg (247KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula1_small.jpg
247KB, 600x800px
Would you allow a player to reskin a drow as a dhampyr? One of my players is wanting to play an undying warlock that is essentially Alucard from SotN. I can't see how it could hurt.
>>
>>49063677
not necessairily the range, but the fact that their many weak called shots can do things like cut rigging, ruin sails, and damage people, much more accurately than a massive cannonball would, AND the fact that most likely a cannonball to the walls of a ship, would do more damage than 4 attack rolls
>>
>>49063773
Sounds alright to me, maybe change the cantrip if you think it'd better reflect the race.
>>49063779
Oh, I see.
>>
>>49063773
Yeah, I'd allow it, especially since the player has such good taste in Alucards.
>>
Is there a scan for tome of Beast yet?
>>
>>49063845
nah m80
defs not one in the mega brah
>>
>>49063002

basically you roll your 2 at the beginning of a day which is a vague vision of someone doing something shitty

later on when you want an enemy to fail their save you give them that 2 and clarify that your vision was this enemy getting fucked now
>>
So, statting Dio Brando. The vampire statline with some buffed stats and a lot of monk levels?
>>
alternative to backgrounds?
>>
>>49064135

Part 1 or Part 3?

Part 1 you could probably go with a high CR vampire with a few tacked on abilities to mimic the lasers and the everything else. Part 3 is going to be a whole 'nother ball game entirely.
>>
File: bestowcurse.jpg (48KB, 368x296px) Image search: [Google]
bestowcurse.jpg
48KB, 368x296px
So, while looking around the wizard spell list for nice 3rd level spells besides Fireball and Counterspell, I came across the following tidbit on Bestow Curse's:

>At the DM’s option, you may choose an alternative curse effect, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

Have you or has anyone at your table ever come up with some neat curses other than the default ones?
>>
>reading the excerpt from Storm King's Thunder in the trove
>fun little adventure with the goblins attacking the village, slowly building momentum
>the first giant shows up
>literally a poofy cloud with a tower on top
>the tower has a wizard hat
>the tower has a wizard hat
>it's the fucking bfg in a wizard hat tower

Why does published DnD content have such a fixation on being lame? I'm a fairly new GM looking for something to run once term starts again that doesn't require me to come up with content every week when I'm meant to be writing a dissertation, but man none of these published campaigns appear to me except Curse of Strahd - and unfortunately I don't think my group would be into playing gothic horror nearly as much as I'd be into running it.

I just want some relatively low magic, low goofiness adventures I can run without too much effort. It doesn't have to be Conan, but is there any 5th edition or easily converted content that leans more towards sword and sorcery than world of warcraft?

I've been looking at classic/OSR modules too but most of that seems to be paper thin plots leading to dungeons with like 10 million rooms, which also seems boring as hell.
>>
>>49064172
Backgrounds with emphasis on the "Customizing Backgrounds" bit at the beginning of that section of the PHB.
>>
Do you use legendary resistance in your encounters?
>>
>>49064172
Factions. Each player can join a faction as their background. Being part of a faction has benefits and costs, and comes with alliances and enmities. Once per session, a player can call in a favor from their faction, but only if they've paid back all previous favors called in.
>>
>>49064187
Yeah, Time Stop as a reaction is going to be a bitch.
>>
>>49064198
>expecting low magic in DnD.

This here is a caster's game son, and the adventures are written to cater to them.
>>
>>49064262
I'm fine with caster players, I'd just rather the world around them didn't feel so much like disneyland
>>
File: scp_140_by_sunnyparallax-d7yf30p.jpg (188KB, 1024x1411px) Image search: [Google]
scp_140_by_sunnyparallax-d7yf30p.jpg
188KB, 1024x1411px
I am going to DM my first DND campaign soon, what are some good premade adventures that I can sneak in to my world? Prefreably older ones but aslong as they are fun and are not terrible to convert to 5e.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>49064315
Yeah, but the adventures are designed to present magical problems and attributes for the caster players to interact with. Low magic just won't happen in an official DnD adventure.
>>
The Help action came up for the first time in my last session, and I want to make sure I get this right: a character just uses the action, and grants another character advantage on a skill roll or attack roll? Is there any reason not to do that every time when rolling persuasion or knowledge skills?
>>
>>49064243
So, how do you balance the time stop thing? Do you let him cast it only every 3 turns or what?
>>
>>49064474
In combat the Help action is largely for things like attacking or grappling.

Out of combat you get into the "Helping another" section under Ability Scores, which isn't always possible. You're not going to have people helping people on Stealth checks, for instance.
>>
>>49064474
That's right.
I've seen some DMs rule that only characters with proficiency in that roll can Help another character on it though. A barbarian "helping" a wizard on an arcana check would ammount to nothing, afterall.
>>
>>49064517
I'd probably rule that he only gets two extra turns but he CAN use abilities that harm others.
>>
>>49064527
Why can't you help someone stealth?
>>
>>49064474
Yes yes, you are correct...

HOWEVER

Limit it, what I and most others only allow the help action in skill checks when the skill is trained by both party members. Are both characters trained in Medicine? If yes, let it.

Use it at your own discretion as well. Lets say your Ranger wants to track a creature with Survival and the Druid wants to use his help action to give the Ranger advantage. Druid may not be trained in Survival but you can easily spin this as their knowledge in animals is helpful to the Ranger to try and track stuff.
>>
>>49064590
What are you gonna do? Making shadow for him to sneak behind you, like in a cartoon?
>>
>>49055785
see
>>49057724
this

There's a decent School of Chronomancy homebrew out there that's very neat.
>>
So when are you going to rehost everything on a website that isn't a malware redirect. Mediafire? seriously?
>>
Does booming blade require an enemy to move from his location, or does it just require any movement i.e. swinging his sword arm or dancing in place?
>>
>>49064784
Mega is safe and secure, my dude. No troves are saved on Mediafire, because Mediafire is shit (and takes down stuff way too quickly, Mega don't give a shit).
>>
>>49064797
The creature has to use one of its movement options. If it stands still and attacks, casts, etc. Booming Blade doesn't trigger.
>>
File: thumbnail_6259297469872099500.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_6259297469872099500.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
How do I build a morally ambivalent Doctor Frankenstein-esque surgeon character in 5e?
>>
>>49064799
The character sheets are on mediafire and tries to stealth-download adware
>>
>>49064841
By playing a different fucking game. It's not a universal system.
>>
>>49064841
Necromancer Wizard with the Healer feat.
>>
>>49064612
Have them follow and mimic your movements. While following, they get +1 to stealth checks for every 2 points your stealth skill is over theirs and you get -1 to stealth checks for every 2 points their stealth score is under your own.

I could also see a spell caster casting a shroud or some other obscuring spell on them to make them less noticeable. GM willing, you could possibly temporarily increase their stealth skill by you giving them some basic pointers assuming your stealth skill is high enough to warrant it. Maybe have it require a skill check on yourself and upon failure, bad advice or poor wording makes them less stealthy.
>>
>>49064841
Literally pick any fucking class and make that your background / personality.
>>
>>49064841
Sage background, be sure to be proficient in medicine. CN. Death cleric if you want to be magical. Otherwise the Mastermind Rogue, I guess.
>>
>>49064830
What if it moves via teleportation, for example, by using Misty Step?

Does booming blade activate in that case?
>>
Thinking of going Fiend / Pact of the Blade Warlock with a Whip, and Spell Sniper for Green-Flame Blade shenanigans.

Yay or Nay?
>>
Is there any sort of homebrew out there that fluffs up a Barbarian into Cu Chulainn?
>>
>>49065086
DM's interpretation based on what is written in the cantrip. The intent is "when the victim willingly moves out of its current space." I would say Misty Step is willing movement.
>>
>>49064612
Well you could help by packing their gear so it doesn't make any noise. Furthermore isn't signaling for someone to move from cover to cover the perfect way to help with stealth?
>>
Game world real world has occurred because of reasons. You're given a class choice from your traits what your options? Go.
>>
>>49065260
inb4 everyone says wizard because high int
>>
>>49065260
Bard with low charisma because i'm both a clown and a fucking loser
>>
>>49065459
my life is a fucking joke
>>
>>49064243

I would flavor Time Stop as legendary actions. The big problem is the Stand itself. There's nothing in DND at all similar to stands except for maybe the old Summoner Class from Pathfinder if you REALLY stretch.
>>
About to run CoS, and im getting a little apprehensive about charming or possessing my players. How can I do either and have it not turn into a shit show of players complaining about being railroaded or general butthurtedness from having control taken away from them?
>>
>>49065499
Don't take control away from them.
>>
what is the CR of the bbeg in storm kings thunder?
>>
Is it possible to put level 6 players in the same room as a Lich and not get a party wipe? Will they wise up and run?
>>
>>49065514
With possession you kinda do that. They get over written and whatever takes control. Or am I reading that wrong?
>>
>>49065106
If you get two good stats and start off as a human, it may work.
Otherwise, it's not worth it for the MADness.
>>
>>49064172
I was thinking in just letting players choose two prof and two tools or two idioms
>>
>>49062287
Fucking. It is the best fucking class.
>>
>>49065578

Depends on how you describe it I guess, but hopefully they won't fight to the death.
>>
>>49065578
>power word: kill

The lich can literally pick the party cleric and say 'you are now dead'.

They have the intelligence to identify the character most likely to have such revivify, too.

The lich can simply just appear before the party, instantly kill a member and then fly away and come back at the end of each day.

The only way you could fairly do this is if the lich was dumb - and liches are NOT dumb.
You'd have to have other NPCs with powers able to suppress the lich, such as an NPC who makes a magical barrier preventing the lich's escape but takes the power word: kill in the process.

The only way the party even has a chance is if they have a bard, who can potentially counterspell if they see the lich casting.
>>
>>49063779
You'd be hombrewing a little to use eldritch blasts on objects, but otherwise pretty good. Also, single blasts are more likely to get stopped by damage thresholds, and you cannot Hex a boat. Fire bolt D. Sorcs work just fine as an alternative, really. Plus, well, fireballs.
>>
>>49065670

counterspell needs a roll of a 19 to stop a 9th level spell, but you could just have the lich not use his high level spells because he doesn't need them. 9th level spells are a huge step up from 8th level, and there's no reason to use it to kill some random no namers and leave yourself vulnerable to another potential enemy.
>>
>>49065582
In Death House, possession is done by two good-aligned children. I played it like they were part of their minds, the characters turned very emotional (+ the flaw they gained). It's not mind control. You just have to say to your players "the thought of doing this makes your character very sad", you make them understand that their character couldn't possibly do "such a thing" (leaving the house, for instance). You can narrate certain things from their perspective, and the players won't reasonably feel betrayed. At some point I turned to one of my player and just said: "the fact that the party isn't already obeying your orders makes you very, very angry". It played out fine.
I think that's how you're supposed to play for Rose & Thorn's possessions.

Other possessions, especially in combat, it's fine to play it out like mind control. You can let the PCs roll their dice just so they feel like they're doing something.

Charm effects are totally different though. NPC description and stat block of Strahd can help you understand the nuance.
>>
>>49065260
Probably fighter or cleric. Most likely cleric. I lack charisma in any sense and my intelligence is not anything special either. I am however quite strong, insightful, and durable.
>>
>>49065578
What level? If they are eight next to the lich and haven't already had to fight their way through his lair they might just kill him as lich AC and HP is reasonably low
>>
>>49064902
Or there's the distract the guard option, though that's really giving the other guy disadvantage, isn't it.
>>
>>49065760
A bard gets spellcasting mod + jack of all trades mod (Unfortunately only 1 there) + other classes may assist by granting the bard things such as advantage on ability checks or guidance (+1d4).

If the party gets REALLY prepped for it, they can increase the chances of countering it.

Certainly, if the lich really isn't bothered he won't use it. Though, it's likely a party of 4-6 may pose enough of a threat given the only level 9 spell he can cast is power word: kill anyway, and power word: kill works better on 100 HP or less targets.

I think the best solution is to swap power word: kill out for a more fun spell, or put some condition that'll stop the lich from using abilities like disintegrate on the players. Maybe he's on the run and has already used a couple of spells.

I think the idea is to keep the encounter open, where the lich isn't too interested in wiping the party.

The best thing is that if the players do gangrape the lich (The lich doesn't have a lot of health, and even with their spells a group of level 6s could easily wipe the floor with an unprepared lich) the lich will just revive somewhere. Angry.

So it easily leaves options for players to avoid fighting too much or actually kill them.
>>
>>49064198
What excerpt? I just went through the mega and there's nothing in the SKT folder.
>>
>>49061661

Guy-what-made-that-option here, glad to see it's getting some (theoretical) use! Latest version of it attached, if you're interested.

>>49061780

Paladin level 7's all trend fairly strong/useful. For reference, here's what other paladins get at 7:

>All friendly creatures in 10/30 aura (including paladin) are immune to charm. (Devotion)

>All friendly creatures in 10/30 aura (including paladin) have resistance to all damage from spells (Ancients)

>Move 15 feet whenever you hit as an AoO (Vengeance)

Though, looking back, I think I get where you're coming from. The main point of imbalance I think would probably be the restrain, and a good way to fix that would be just to specifically state that the target cannot move from its new location. That way, the level 7 doesn't confer advantage against the creature for an entire round.
>>
File: cmon bud.jpg (21KB, 241x249px) Image search: [Google]
cmon bud.jpg
21KB, 241x249px
>>49065857
Or you could not gimp the lich. It's supposed to be a formidable foe. If anything, a party of 4-6 shouldn't be fighting it head-on and certainly not alone.

You wait for the Lich to use its spells and to lose a bit of its stamina in another fight. You pit the lich against another foe before you even think of fighting it.

But i mean yeah, sure, the Lich could also not have ever learned of the Power Word: Kill spell. Maybe the Lich should only fight with Alter Self and Firebolts.
I mean fuck, it's just a CR 21.

I bet you make your players start at 15th level too.
>>
>>49065260
Monk or Psion ('Mystic').
>>
>>49065260

If I could choose and have the fantasy stats of what I wanted, probably Monk (Way of the Shadow), Rogue (AT), or Psion of some sort.
>>
>>49065260
I'd probably end up as a Rogue, Ranger, or Bard. All have a bit of magical schtick to them (I'd be an Arcane Trickster Rogue, no question) and are otherwise fond of ranged weapons (no way in hell do I want to stab someone, even though I think I could). Being a Forever DM means I have to bullshit and make up enough stuff, which is why I think I could pull off being a Bard. Probably Lore Bard and a Hunter Ranger for the other two.
>>
>>49065499

Just do it. Sometimes characters get charmed, thats part of the game. Don't do it all the time and they should be fine.

Barovia is a sandbox. You don't have to railroad because the players can't leave even if they wanted to. They can run around to w/e area they want until they fight Strahd.

My players were actually thankful for this. They liked that they could go anywhere on the map and have a high quality fleshed encounter.
>>
>>49065944
I've been mulling over the possibilities, and there are two ways the level 6 party could win:

1. The stars are right.
The party knows everything they need to know. They get the surprise, they have the right weapons and they're lucky enough to bypass 17 AC on the first round, 22 AC on the second while taking a couple of AoEs on the second round. Probably a counterspell guy somewhere.

2. The party is specifically tailored to lich hunting in class choice. This isn't natural.

However, if the lich has properly prepared themself, set up alarms, has minions about, has traps, maybe even in their lair... The party has almost no chance without severe mechanic abuse or buying a thousand magical mastiffs.

I think the simple thing is to not put a party up against a lich. It just isn't fun.

It's railroading, to an extent, to have an unkillable NPC they there is only one solution to - run.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have encounters you have to run from. I'm just saying that if the players ever don't decide to run, they haven't automatically lost the game. They should have at least a grim glimmer of hope, even if they do ultimately all die in the end

And power word: kill is the epitomy of 'no fun allowed' for such a low level party.
>>
>>49065881
Yeah. Make it a grapple that automatically ends at the start of whenever, not a restrain.

If it then needs buffing, then make it so they don't become ungrappled and have to save to get free. I think making them take an action to ungrapple themselves would be a bit much, though, so it'd either be start or their turn or end of their turn.
>>
>>49065578
You should really make some kind of lesser lich that doesn't have 9th level spells for this to be doable and believable.
>>
>>49064590
The Help Action is a combat action. You can choose to grant someone advantage on an attack roll at the cost of your action. That's fair.

Out of combat, the Help Action doesn't apply. Instead, there is a rule called Helping Another. Helping Another requires that the helping actually make narrative sense. In otherwords, you can't just willy nilly give someone advantage. Instead, you would have to roleplay the persuasion out to give them advantage.
>>
>>49065537
>>
>>49066219
Your mistake is thinking a Lich is a combat encounter for a low level party. If the party makes it a combat encounter, they've lost, that much is true.

A Lich can be so much more than that.
Even if the Lich was a direct enemy straight up - it's a motivation to "get better" before the fight finally occurs. The Lich has its own goals - killing a low level party outright may not be a part of its goals. But the lich may derive pleasure from making them suffer.

In Curse of Strahd, the only lich is a helpful one. Evil and powerful, sure, but it has no real reason to kill anyone that it interacts with.
>>
>>49065670
Why can't liches be dumb?

After a thousand thousand years of immortality, Uurk Babur, the Lich Lord of Angath, and Bringer of Endless Agony has regressed to the mind of a child due to boredom driven insanity. He is now dumb. The players, if they escape him, cause him to regain composure, as he is now faced, for the first time in a millenia, with people who beat him.
>>
>>49066403
Don't bring roleplaying into this tactical combat simulator :^)
>>
>>49066403
But why hasn't Uurk Babur been destroyed before? Wouldn't its unbridled ambition push the lich to conquer, learn and destroy more and more?

Maybe it's bound to something. You're giving me ideas.
>>
>>49052002
>Is this a really shit idea?
I feel like even if you cant make everything in it work you can atleast do what you want using 5e as a ruleset to make what you want
>>
So when volo's comes out are Firbolg going to be a playable large race or are they pulling a goliath with them just barely being medium with boosted carrying?
>>
I fucked up way early on and gave my players too much gold.

I basically put them through hell and back to meet up with the one guy in the world who has a stock of magic items to be sold, but I really have no idea what is a reasonable price for Rare or Very Rare wondrous items. Any help?
>>
>>49066370
I like to treat everything as potentially a combat encounter.

The party has every right to decide at any point they'll decide to fight someone.

If a lot of characters that the party might potentailly want to fight are impossible for the characters to ever win over, it's a form of railroading. I'm not saying it's a really bad one, but I've had cases in campaigns before where this is done to an extreme where a lot of NPCs are very high levels and it prevents players from doing a lot of fun things and having proper freedom.

I'm not saying that the party should never be made to run away, either. But if they have to run away, it should be a thoughtful decision, not just "Oh, suddenly there are massive dragons before us, let's see who can run the fastest."
I have had players run from goblins before and lose loot to those goblins. They had put themselves in a bad situation and worn themselves down on some other enemies beforehand, and had decided they shouldn't risk getting into more fights.

Simply, I just don't like the
"This is a combat encounter."
"This is a social encounter."
attitude, since that's a light form of railroading. You can do it sometimes, and I've no doubt the DM isn't throwing liches left right and centre... But it's not healthy to have a lot of them.

The one you mentioned is a good one. A lich that doesnt care to deal with mortals. It's not going to make the players wish they could do something about him, probably.
>>
>>49066487
When Uurk Babur had regressed to its most child like, a lone adventurer beguiled it, trapping it in some enchanted cave, with the promise of sweet fruits.
>>
>>49066403
Well, it's an idea.

A by-RAW lich is certainly not stupid. But there're a number of reasons a lich might not be as the books intend, and there's absolutely no harm in throwing those twists in if it adds something.
>>
Hey I got a quick, probably stupid question:
Around how heavy would a newborn lizard folk baby (Blackscale in particular) be? I've found the weight of them as adults but nothing as a baby.
Like do they start off the size of regular lizards, the size of a human baby, or larger than a human baby?
>>
>>49066543
I never said a Lich simply cannot be a combat encounter. I said if a 6th level party of 4 decides to consider a Lich as a combat encounter, they're going to lose. As they should.

I'm saying there's nothing wrong with killing them.
Because if you're not, then it's the real "railroading".
You're basically bending rules (although "soft" ones since it's the Monster Manual) just to make the players feel better about their choices.

Sometimes they will fuck up. You should not save them from it. Especially when it's a "let's fight this lich head-on, i can cast 4th level spells now!!" level of mistake.

I don't like that you think it's railroading to have monsters/NPCs out of the "safe to fight" range for your current PCs.
>>
>>49066336
Yes, I get that. But I see no narrative that exists where you can be adjacent to someone and still unable to help them hide (assuming they had the cover to hide with in the first place)
>>
>>49066604
Why does it matter how heavy exactly?
Can't you answer your own question by going through the party of PCs and asking yourself "can this guy lift the baby" ?
>>
>>49063002
The character is a diviner. He does not do anything, he just sees it how it is. The monster was fated to roll that 2 because the diviner saw that it how it is. That 14 the Dm first rolled literally never happened.
>>
>>49066528
A rare item will cost around 500 to 8000ish, and a very rare 8000ish to 30k I guess.
>>
>>49066543
Please examine the dmg. It lists the prices of rarity for you.
>>
File: 5e magic item rarity.png (110KB, 364x156px) Image search: [Google]
5e magic item rarity.png
110KB, 364x156px
>>49066528
>>49066879
>>
>>49066629
If you can add ANYTHING in, then it's very well possible a hard-to-identify, malevolent lich could ruin a lot of fun.

If the party isn't awfully familiar with liches (they might not be in lower-magic settings and lower level parties) they might struggle to know the true danger, or think they might be a minor lich. Or the lich might be disguising themselves up.

So you'll be forced to either
a) Make sure they give off a really powerful feel and aura, such as with their items.
b) Have them not really care much. Maybe an undercover lich doesn't want to get into fights as it'll cause them more trouble.
c) Hope the players don't ever get into a fight with them.

And that's not awfully restrictive. If you put a CR 20 down in human form with absolutely no tell-tale signs before the party gets into a fight and has the floor wiped with them, you're a shit DM. And I doubt you do that.

But still, these encounters should be a rarity.
The party is level 6. They shouldn't be dealing with the highest powers of the world at every turn. They can do that later.
They're not going to be sleeping in bed with the emperor of half the world, they'll struggle to even get an audience with them.

So that's what I mean. It's okay if you do it a bit, and they aren't particularly obstructive. They're like big, heavy statues. You can't move them, but they can be very nice additions. If you put them everywhere or put them right in the player's way, though, it becomes a problem.
>>
>play adventure league
>once you get your basic equipment, gold has zero fucking use outside of buying basic heal potions

I was surprised to learn at least 3 other people at my FLGS had stopped writing down their gold totals, just how much they got from the adventure. Barely a dime has been spent in fucking 8 months. How did wizards fuck up this hard with adventure league and gold?
>>
>>49066903
You mislinked, should be to >>49066528
I think.

>>49066528
>>49066915
I'd watch out for this guide, as this is only a guide.
+1 plate armour will not cost 500gp. It 'may' cost 2000gp, but I might expect it to cost more.

Normal plate armour costs 1500gp, and if it only costs 500gp to get an upgrade of +1 you'd probablyalmost always see +1 plate armour.

So, yes, if you're dealing with magical items make the prices a bit dynamic, and allow players to barter and haggle. Unlike regular items, it's worth allowing that.
>>
>>49066944
Can't you use it to do things like bypass encounters sometimes? Buy the BBEG out, win the campaign through economical sabotage.
>>
>>49066944
I will agree that there should be more uses for gold in AL, but I'd hardly say it's worthless. Primary casters need plenty of it for spell components (especially diamonds for clerics for emergency revivals), and wizards also need it for copying spells into their spellbook. You can also buy a warhorse and barding if you are itching to spend gold.
>>
>>49066944
The gold is supposed to be spent on resurrection magic really ( and full plate). Dying past level 4 is much more strict in AL than in home games. You cant just roll up another level 7 and keep playing with your friends if you fall into a volcano or get eaten. You really need to shell out the cash for a true resurrection or you can't play with the same group anymore. Of course most of the time you just need raise dead which is cheaper, you do still have to be wary of the consequences of running out of gold if something bad happens to you.
>>
>>49066944
Have you tried not playing adventure league?

If "have you tried not playing DnD/Pathfinder" is the goto tech support for /tg/, "have you tried not playing adventure league" is the best tech support for DnD.
>>
>>49066944
that seems like the DMs fault, mostly
unless he is offering stuff the spend gold on, and no one is biting, the system offers a lot to spend wealth on
or sometimes you just need to be creative, if the wizard won't sell his magic boots for even 100,000 platinum, just hire an army to kill him and take it
>>
>>49065260
Wizard because I'm a brilliant power-mad autist
>>
>>49067190
Reread the post, this is for AL
>>
>>49066338
thanks!
>>
>>49066403
in curse of strahd one of the liches went crazy and forgot all his spells and his identity. You can cure him and he will regain all his lich powers.

So yeah you can totally do the dumb/crazy/regressed lich.
>>
/tg/, I have a question. As I understand, to cast spells with somatic and material components, you need to have your spellcasting focus in hand and that same hand holding the focus counts for the somatic components, right?

But clerics and paladins can bear their focus, a holy symbol, on their shield. Does that mean that the hand holding the shield counts for the somatic components as well?
>>
Hey 5eg, I'm a fucktarded homebrewer so looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I'm currently playing a Coastal theme Land-Druid using Conjure Animals as my go-to spell, however while summoning 8 giant crabs is fun as hell and adds a great deal of bulk and utility to our otherwise squishy party, it really does bog down combat and I dislike taking essentially 9 turns compared to everyone else.

Are there any tools, tips, or how-to's to bulk up those Cr 1/8 crabs into CR1 or CR2 Monsterous crabs for me to summon, since bringing one or two crabs to battle will still do what I want it to, without bogging down combat for days.

Or if anyone else knows where I can find a suitable statline to use since the GM has said he doesn't mind me having homebrew boosted big-crabs rather than the clusterfuck crab army.
>>
File: Bounty Hunter.jpg (77KB, 495x750px) Image search: [Google]
Bounty Hunter.jpg
77KB, 495x750px
>>49060674
Crossbow dual-wielding fighter, variant human. Be Boba Fett, medieval style.
>>
>>49067539

i think there's a guide to making monsters somewhere. Just make a CR1/2 Big ass crab.
>>
>>49067539
Unless you're facing AoEs, fewer crabs would probably be more viable. As a general thing in 5e, more is better, as even weak things have a chance of causing a pain.

However, it's generally nice to either group monsters into the same initiative (if they can't then execute broken combos) or to do whatyou're doing.

I suggest you give homebrewing one up a go and then post the stats here, and then we can give you feedback.
>>
>>49060674
Most fun character i've played is a Human Fighter using crossbow master, a Hand Crossbow and Nets for your weapons of choice.

In combat you can throw a net over someone, then shoot them in the face with advantage. All your allies have advantage to further pile on the damage, and the creature has to either waste an action getting out of the net or suck a dick. When you hit level 2, you get action surge to throw an extra shot in at those captured foes. When you hit level 3, you go Battlemaster, pretty much only for Aimed-shot, so that you can make sure those nets land because after they do, you're playing with advantage and archery style so with a pocket +1d8 it's nearly impossible to miss.

Which leads us on to level 4. Thanks to advantage, archery style and aimed shot, you're pretty damn accurate, so how do we benefit of this? Sharpshooter. Not only does it boost your damage output through the roof, you're also now able to use your nets at full range without penalty, snaring at 15ft and literally shooting fish in a barrel. Finally, level 5 rolls around, while your net-style does come under stress since nets don't work alongside extra attack, when you do action surge, or they fail to get out of the net, you're pelting plenty of extra attacks into them for massively reliable damage. Plus don't forget, advantage on attacks means more crits!

How can we make this even better? Why as a 5th level character you have one important resource at your disposal. Other 5th level characters, namely wizards, sorcerers or druids. This build loves the haste buff more than anything else, since you can use the free attack to throw your otherwise clunky net, then unload a full volley of three shots into your target, but it is a lot to ask for the caster to devote concentration to you. Best option is an allied sorcerer due to having less concentration spells to contend for, twinned to double up haste on two martials, and Con Prof for making any concentration checks.
>>
>>49067795
Added bonus. This class needs pretty much one stat to function. Dexterity.

So your stats are free to spend as you please, you'll want con for more health, but don't really need it due to having 1d10hit die anyway. So depending on how you place your skills due to background and humans extra skill, you can easily be the witty intelligent fighter who knows his history and lore, or the talkative savant charisma based fighter, or the perceptive deadeye wisdom based fighter.
>>
>>49067560
>>49067623
This to be honest mate, give it a go, we'll critique.

Buff its health, damage, maybe even size to large. A CR1-2 crab would most likely merit multi-attack. Perhaps some extra crab-like ability I don't really know what crabs would have? Maybe a "crushing" ability they can do against already grappled foes?
>>
>>49067100
Adventure league is currently the only game in town for 5E.
at some point the closer LGS run by a guy i'm acquainted with is going to start doing D&D, and seemingly it will be non-AL stuff, so I hope things get going there soon.
>>
>>49060674
There is a LOT of shit homebrewout there, but this is one of the few things I'm keen to try out sometime.

There are a couple of things that look like they're a bit dangerous, but overall the class looks slightly underpowered, so I would call it fair enough.

Main problem is justifying its use, and trying to play homebrew at all. Like I said, any good 5e DM should be very cautious of homebrew.
>>
>>49068015
Get the updated version. It's got some fixes. I like it, though.
>>
>>49068091
Where is it?
I saved it off of some anon here.

There were a couple of things that looked like they could've been fixed up a bit.
>>
>>49068015

i hated everything about this when i first saw it and i still hate everything about it now
>>
>>49068235

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/4zwfrl/the_tarocchi_a_playing_cardbased_magic_class/
>>
File: commission.png (15KB, 301x28px) Image search: [Google]
commission.png
15KB, 301x28px
>>49068015
The creator seems like a retard desu.
>>
>>49068332
I can understand if you hate the concept (it's not a very serious seeming class) and the abilities and all that, but do you think it's unbalanced or there's anything that's objectively just bad?

My main qualms are that euchre sucks, mao's reverse turn order could potentially be pretty weird, poker's two-pair allows the casting of two non-cantrip spells as it bypasses standard 'bonus+action' spellcasting rules that quickened spell sorcerers are limitedby and poker's all-in is extremely abusable.

.. And I think the class could use some additional minor, yet defining abilities to make them more unique.

>>49068410
Thanks, anon. I'll go check the changes.
>>
>>49068475
It plays out pretty well, from what's been said in the comments. It probably needs some more work, but it's mostly balanced, from what I can see just reading through it. I couldn't get any of my players to take it up, with the possible exception of one, who's kids and job won't let him play...so, won't be seeing use any time soon.
>>
>>49068475

>mao's reverse turn order

that was one of the worst parts. I think it's pretty broken on a fundamental mechanical level though and that if someone wants to play a card playing magician I'd just let them fluff their spells as..cards or something.

A DM actually does that for his villain with some minor benefits (like having a cone of cold originate from a target hit by a card).
>>
>>49066010
this monk,psion, order of immortals, order of knife. I do martial arts that have lots of sword work and I'm pretty intelligent so all of those work for me.
>>
>>49068932
>>49068932
>>49068932

New thread with a proper OP.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.