[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GMing for newe players

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: RPG-2009-Berlin-2.jpg (276KB, 1000x749px) Image search: [Google]
RPG-2009-Berlin-2.jpg
276KB, 1000x749px
Here's my situation, /tg/.

>have been playing tabletop RPGs since my grandfather ran OD&D for me when I was 7 (I'm 29 now)
>have DMed a few campaigns, mostly D&D 5e and OSR
>still like D&D, but kind of burnt out on running D&D and systems derived from it right now
>want to run a game for some fellow grad students in my department who have never played a tabletop RPG before
>don't really want a universal system, as much as I like GURPS
>am fine with any genre, though (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, what else you got?)
>doesn't have to be rules-light, but I would rather it not be super heavy
What systems can you recommend? Just trying to spark my imagination here and maybe find something that gets me excited about creating a campaign for and GMing it.
>>
>>49047132
I'd say Ryuutama, Apocalypse World or Meikyuu Kingdom, depending on the specifics of your group.

I've had good experiences with introductory games in all three of these systems.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds is pretty simple mechanically (requires imagination for the most part) but can be overwhelming the first time you create a character. I'd recommend it simply because Supes are fresh in a lot of peoples minds right now due to all the movies.
>>
>>49047199
I know the first two. What's Meikyuu Kingdom.
>>49047202
That's an option. I do loves me some superheroes. And I got two of my probable players hooked on The Flash recently.
>>
>>49047229
It's billed as "Cynical Pop Dungeon Fantasy", for lack of a better term.

The basic premise is: The entire world, land, sea, sky, even Heaven and Hell, has turned into a dungeon.
The PCs are Landmakers, special humans who have what it takes to build a kingdom and make it flourish in the Endless Dungeon.

As for the mechanics, it's highly structured, maybe even more than is usual for JTTRPGs.
For every adventure you've got a Kingdom Phase where the players can work on their kingdom, gear up, accept requests from the citizens, etc. Then you proceed to the Dungeon Phase where they strike out into the surrounding areas for some good ol' crawling on one or more 3x3 grids of rooms. Once they beat the Ruler of the map or retreat you wrap up in the End Phase with some more tinkering on the kingdom.

The tone is rather light-hearted, with one of the monsters being a giant sentient bottle of mayonnaise wearing a crown (horrible Japanese pun on the game's name) and it's only a fan translation with a modicum of setting information, so you get to fill in most of the details yourself.
>>
>>49047199
>>49047202
>garbage recommendations

I hate what's happened to /tg/.
>>
>>49047505
Wanting to ditch dungeon crawl style games for a while is kind of why I want to do something other than D&D. Sounds possibly fun though.
>>49047543
I'm not saying they are or aren't garbage recommendations, but it's not like you made any good recommendations yourself.
>>
>>49047543
>garbage posting garbage

I hate what's happened to /tg/.

>>49047620
Dungeon crawling though it might be, you'll find it's quite different from D&D.

As for other systems you might want to look into:
There's Tokyo Nova for an interesting take on Cyberpunk using cards (creatively at that) instead of dice.
Maid RPG is always good for some madcap, nonsensical fun, though the theme may very much disagree with your group.
Golden Sky Stories is nice if you want a complete pace of change: no dice, no conflict, just concentrated, rural comfiness. Personally, I just can't run it, because I can't get into the right state of mind.
>>
>>49047132
Call of Cthulhu is a pretty good intro game because:

>The rules are simple.
>You play regular people, easy to relate to.
>Horror genre is familiar to almost everyone.
>>
>>49047132
Call of Cthulhu, hands down
>>
>>49047132
Traveller or Unknown Armies might be your best bet.
>>
>>49050879
>Unknown Armies
>for a group that has never played tabletop before
>>
Shadow of the Demon Lord is pretty easy (character creation starts with just picking a race, all of the checks are checked VS 10 instead of a certain DC, etc.) and I got my friend into RPGs thanks to it.
>>
>>49047132
GURPS.
>>
I'm gonna post here asking for some advice. Kind of related but i'm pretty damn new to DMing and don't realized i have no idea how to really. Any tips would be great, my group isn't new to board games like Arkham Horror and stuff but haven't played many pen and paper games like DnD and we're trying to get comfortable with it.
>>
>>49053879
Which game and have you read the GM section yet?
>>
Savage Worlds
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.