[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Players that can never follow a plot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What do I do when my players can't follow any sort of plot and I need to make things up on the fly because of it?

For example, I was trying to lead the players to a bandit hideout by having a thief grab one of the player character's coin purses, the players likely would chase him, and he would lead them to the hideout. Or, the players would stop him before he gets there and interrogate him, etc.

How it ended up playing out.
>Bandit grabs coin purse, runs
>Rogue player decides to fire a bow at his leg
>Misses
>Players give up, assume hes gone for good

They also, never opt to do any real roleplay and instead just opt to murder for whoever pays the highest dollar. I've decided that the next campaign, im writing them as a mercenary team working for an army so they can have maximum fun playing for the highest bidder.

What can I do /tg/? Or should I just let them because the mercenary psychopaths they want to?
>>
Okay, I'm missing something here.
Do you let them roleplay, or do you describe absolutely everything for them?
Also, there's nothing wrong with just flat-out saying, "You know, with a bit of effort, you could probably hunt that guy down."
>>
>>49044542
I try to keep it open ended while being linear enough that if they do something unexpected I can still guide them.

Also I don't like doing it. But sometimes I have had to blatantly say once or twice "you're going to ass-fuck this campaign if you don't do this guys"
>>
>>49044494
>I've decided that the next campaign, im writing them as a mercenary team working for an army so they can have maximum fun playing for the highest bidder.
Sounds like you already figured out the solution: your players don't want that much of a plot. They basically just want an action movie plot. Minimal political intrigue, just enough justification to get you from one battle to another.

And that's okay.
>>
>>49044634

I suppose I'd resort to having them do a series of various skill challenges.
Next time they walk into town, have it be blown up by a series of planted barrel bombs. Have them navigate crumbling buildings and streets filled with crowded civilians.

Skill checks and saves aplenty without any actual combat. Ask them to describe their actions. See if they're willing to help in relief efforts like clearing rubble and healing.
>>
>>49044916
Holy shit that's a good plot premise. Might be a good way to end the campaign.

Or, to start a new chapter of one.
>>
>>49044494
>trying to lead the players
Strike one.
>only one lead connecting the players to the pertinent action, no failsafes or redundancies
Strike two.
>>49044634
>not just dropping the act and saying "this is pretty much all I've got prepped for the night, guys"
Strike three.

It sounds like you've got kind of novice players. Or players who aren't familiar with more player driven shit. Giving them obvious hooks to start probably wouldn't hurt.

On your end, if you want player driven play you're probably going to have to change your MO to accommodate open-ended play, because player-driven and linear don't mesh well. If only because people are hard to predict.

If you want to transition into something player-driven/open ended, there's a few things you probably need to start doing.
>Prep generic and non-context specific maps, NPCs, monsters, items, etc. Your asspull will work better if you've prepped it.
>Build redundant connections into the parts of the world that matter, so people are likely to see at least most of the good stuff.
>Reuse settings, NPCs, etc. Hold stuff they didn't get to this week for down the road. Even stuff that was initially asspull fodder. The party's prior experience with them will give them context to help them make decisions. And it builds your library of stuff with less work.
>Start obvious, complicate shit later. A thief stole your money? Easy come easy go. A thief stole (unique object party specifically gives a shit about)? Party follows thief.
>Make sure outcomes are uncertain. Listen for player planning, speculation. "Who killed the baron?" or "We need a base of operations!" suggest very different prep strategies for next week.
>>
>>49044494
the GM shouldn't create the plot, the players create the plot
so i don't see the problem here, it's as it should be
>>
>>49045220
>It sounds like you have novice players
Its their first time playing any tabletop RPG, so, yeah.

>>49045287
The problem here is my players will do something completely unexpected and will ignore things that cause huge plot holes. Like they completely ignored a dungeon area which had a prisoner that was supposed to lead them to the next part of the plot, so now my only real method of forwarding the story is "you guys accidentally stumble upon this location and you should probably go inside pretty please"
>>
>>49045478
I should also add that they diddnt just ignore an entire location to fight in, they raided the whole dungeon then chose to ignore the one room that had any real importance.
>>
>>49045478
>a dungeon area which had a prisoner that was supposed to lead them to the next part of the plot

This is the problem. A plot laid out in rigid sequence is poor prep in general, and if the dungeon's all you've got (as it will be in like.. any one-shot) it's okay to just say upfront that tonight's a dungeon crawl and start at the entrance.

The problem is really not with your players but with how you're prepping and running your games.
>>
>>49045478
>>49045586

Basically, you're the GM, and you're trying hard not to railroad, but you have to realize - all GMs railroad.

It's just a matter of subtlety. It's called the invisible track, and it's used by everyone who is worth their salt in the gaming community.

If you have a town that's dealing with a goblin problem, and the players have a fork in the road, road A is going to take them to that town. And so will road B, ya dig? It's all about the illusion of choice.

So if your players ignored the one room that had any real importance, then they hear a weak voice or find a note talking about an important prisoner or even find the guy dragging himself out as they make their way to the front.
>>
>>49045508
>they raided the whole dungeon then chose to ignore the one room that had any real importance
>>49045586
>The problem is really not with your players but with how you're prepping and running your games.
This.
There should never be one hook to lead them to the next plot thread, there should be a field of hooks for them to walk over and snag accidentally.

>>49045772
>Basically, you're the GM, and you're trying hard not to railroad, but you have to realize - all GMs railroad.
This.
>>
>>49045220
>>Prep generic and non-context specific maps, NPCs, monsters, items, etc. Your asspull will work better if you've prepped it.
>>Build redundant connections into the parts of the world that matter, so people are likely to see at least most of the good stuff.
>>Reuse settings, NPCs, etc. Hold stuff they didn't get to this week for down the road. Even stuff that was initially asspull fodder. The party's prior experience with them will give them context to help them make decisions. And it builds your library of stuff with less work.
>>Start obvious, complicate shit later. A thief stole your money? Easy come easy go. A thief stole (unique object party specifically gives a shit about)? Party follows thief.
>>Make sure outcomes are uncertain. Listen for player planning, speculation. "Who killed the baron?" or "We need a base of operations!" suggest very different prep strategies for next week.

all very solid advice.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.