[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

need help on paint selection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Hello there, i am recently into warhammer 40k and i wanna make an imperial guard army. I wanted to start by buying the start collecting pack, since its pretty cheap for me here. Well anyways , im not really sure on the paints and tools etc. Im not really sure if i really need all of these paints(what are shades exacly=?), and which tools are useful(planning to buy them maybe cheaper somewhere else?) and brushes? I suppose only 2-3 are needed. Oh and that black spray paint is needes as easy basing i suppose, but what are the other spray paints?

Im sorry if this is the wrong board for this.
>>
( i ment im not really sure if i need all of the paints on the online shop of games workshop. the store page tells me either to buy the complete astra militarum paint pack or some paints especially for this pack. which exacly do i need? help would be nice)
>>
Take a look at Warhammer TV's guide on youtube on how to paint Cadian Shock troops. That will show you what you'll need.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUqWuU-Nns

Now, some of these colors are somewhat optional, because some can be replaced like eshin grey on the aquillas and details with Leadbelcher, but all of the basecoat paints, Agrax earthshade, and most of the layer paints are something that you NEED to have if you want the model to look good. Edge highlighting is THE reason why models look detailed and stand out, do NOT skimp on them like I did when I started, they're worth it. Also, you might get better prices on some paint by replacing them with different brand paint ranges here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart . Have fun, and remember to THIN YOUR PAINTS. There's a reason that it became a meme, and it's because people say it SO GODDAMN OFTEN because people forget it so goddamn often.
>>
>>49025293
>>49025878
Also, this is the right board, don't worry, any tabletop/traditional gaming related content is allowed, and painting discussions reltated to warhammer and other tabletop games are allowed. Just make sure it's TABLETOP/TRADITIONAL GAMING related.
>>
File: IMG_0373 (1).jpg (258KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0373 (1).jpg
258KB, 3264x2448px
>>49025878
>On Highlights
Speak for yourself. I like my troops dark and dirty like they've been on campaign. Those GW troops look like they marched out of a shower!
>>
>>49025293
I stared with buying the starter pack.
Instant regret after I tried to paint my first mini.

It doesn't include everything, and has colors you'll probably won't use. Not to mention that Citadel paints, and brushes are overpriced.
>>
>>49025908
or just warhammer 40k related, for that matter.
>>
>>49029032
Perhaps, but Citidel Paints are pretty idiot proof, once you understand the golden rule of figurine painting. I, personally, have no problem buying their paints but I recommend you research your color scheme before you start.
>>
>>49029954
I would honestly say that Vallejo Air paints are even more idiot proof. You don't even need to thin them, and they come in droppers so you can't accidentally dilute or spill them.
>>
>>49029954
I usually swear on Vall-
>>49030011
My nigga.

Anyways, yes the difference in prices isn't so big, and if the color you want to achieve is closer with Citadel paint, then so be it. But buying pre-assembled packs of pain is an overly expensive way to go.

Like with brushes; I feel like only the "Citadel" sign on them what doubles their price.
>>
File: Squad1-2.jpg (99KB, 1024x434px) Image search: [Google]
Squad1-2.jpg
99KB, 1024x434px
>>49027516
Dark=/=Dirty.

Learn to highlight well but still weather and they'll look amazing.

Notice the color of the cloaks and the highlight color. Pretty bright color If used alone right?

Not so bright and clean on the finished model though right?
>>
>>49030114

Let's not forget a set of offset snips, a hobby knife, and a file. The miraculous CITADEL logo quintuples their value.
>>
>>49030191
Yeah, quintuple is more accurate than double.
>>
>>49025293
For tools all you need are a pair of clippers to get them off the sprue and a scalpel. The scalpel is good for doing any finicky parts and if you drag the blade over mould lines they'll come off perfectly, in my experience files tend to leave the surface a bit flat.
>>
>>49030891
>>49030191
Also, for god sake be careful with the scalpel, and do NOT fuck around. If you are tired, don't use it.

These things are really sharp, and they will cut you pretty fucking bad if you stop paying attention when you are using it. Eventually the blade will dull a little so it is at the point where you are unlikely to cut yourself unless you suddenly slip, but even then, treat it as if it were brand new,
>>
>>49031027
Wrong. There are two things you need to understand:

1) ALWAYS treat a blade as if it is dull
2) Dull blades are MUCH more dangerous than sharp blades. When the blade is dull you need to use more force to cut, and you're more likely to slip. Even though the blade is dull, it's still sharp enough to fuck you up badly.
>>
>>49031121
Ironically that is why I said to treat it as if it were sharp, since it is easier for a new person to understand, but now we have created a never ending spiral.

I should have explained it clearly really. /wip/ should really have a beginners guide to tools in all of its OP link stuff for situations like this.
>>
>>49031255
It probably should. But I just can't resist a chance to sperg like this. In a somewhat related incident, a dull blade is why I have a small scar on my thumb.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.