[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 26

File: quasit ses.png (66KB, 675x730px) Image search: [Google]
quasit ses.png
66KB, 675x730px
Familiar edition
OP merely pretending to be pretending to be a faggot subedition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous Session
>>49010892
>>
>>49024541
So what I'm hearing is that Vhaeraun is the superior drow deity?
>>
>Familiar edition

Is there anything wrong with allowing a non-chainlock to summon a pseudodragon with Find Familiar? It honestly doesn't seem more powerful than an owl that can give advantage on perception checks and give combat advantage once per turn without provoking opportunity attacks.
>>
>>49024571
Ehhh...kinda, I guess.
His motives and goals are a lot more like surface evil deities (my clergy should rule, all shall fear and worship me, take over the world, etc) then Lolth is.
He's superior in the sense that he's not the deific equivalent of a fat lazy bitch who's super bitter about her ugly divorce case that she lost and so keeps a lot of mean cats around her just so she can beat them because it makes her feel better.
>>
>>49024541
>It's especially notable in Faerun when more then one human Wizard managed to accomplish more lasting damage on ACCIDENT then the entire civilization of Lolth-worshipping drow have in their 3000-odd years of civilization.

Who the hell were these guys?
>>
>>49024762

Karsus would be the most obvious example.
>>
What sort of Paladin Oaths might be more leaning towards being merciful?
>>
>>49024941
devotion
>>
>>49024762
Lord Karsus of Netheril and Manshoon.
Karsus tried to borrow Mystra's power for a little while so he kill the enemies destroying his kingdom, but the spell had unforeseen consequences and blew up his entire kingdom and everyone in it, creating the desert if Anaurouch and causing Mystra to stop allowing 10th, 11th, and 12th level spells because clearly we weren't mature enough to handle them.

Manshoon created the Zhentarim (already a pretty big accomplishment and causing more long-term effect then the drow have managed), but he also once created an army of 20 cloned bodies as "backups" for his consciousness, and then someone woke them ALL up and they started fighting each other and ruining everyone's shit in a mess that took decades to clean up.

Hell, one of them managed to get turned into a vampire that set up a secret vampire kingdom in Westgate and eventually an OPEN vampire kingdom in 4e which has since been destroyed.
>>
>>49024941
With the exception of vengeance (which is less about protection and saving then it is about punishment), most Paladin Oaths are pretty nice.
Devotion has mercy right there in it's list of behavioral rules even.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 195x195px
>>49024982
Manshoon has also accomplished looking more swag then the entire drow civilization, can't forget that.
>>
>>49024571
Vhaeraun has nothing on Lolth in terms of style.
>>
>>49024941
Ancients paladin could find any reason to "preserve the light" I suppose. Granting mercy to someone who shows promise of redemption would count for that. And devotion is as likely as any classic paladin to do so.
>>
>>49025036
If you're into unpleasant and irresponsible doms I guess.
But then why not worship the actual deity of unpleasant and irresponsible doms, Loviatar?
>>
look what I found

this is exactly what I needed. anyone have anything else like this?
>>
>>49025068
>If you're into unpleasant and irresponsible doms I guess.
No, man, just in general. Lolth is the perfect god for Drow. And she's always been good! She's been good from being a creepy elf head on a fat-ass giant spider, through to having an evil spider mech to unleash on the PCs, through to being a sadistic elementary kid with her own underground ant farm.

Even in homebrew setting, wherever I have Drow I have Lolth.
>>
>>49025126
I like her as a villain, yes. She's just kind of a shitty deity in terms of personality.
Hell, if I recall she even fucked Gruumsh once to manipulate him.
>>
>>49025167
Gruumsh is arguably one of the few worse deities in terms of personality, to be fair.
>>
>>49025167
Did she get pregnant?
>>
>>49025072

this is good
thank you for this
>>
>>49025206
His personality is "BREAK ALL THE THINGS", so yes.
Hey, at least he has it better then Lolth; all this time and she is STILL stuck as a greater demon lord in the Abyss (albeit one with deific powers) while her two kids are still full deities.
>>49025212
Pretty sure deities only want to get pregnant if they want to.
She also did the deed with Malar after Gruumsh, in both cases so they could distract the Seladrine while she plotted to overthrow Corellon.
>>
>>49025312
Vhaeraun would be improved if he'd had to eat his 799 spider-godling brothers to get where he is today, just saiyan.
>>
>>49025072

yeah that's rad thanks
>>
>>49025353
Hey, in Vhaeraun's defense as a true deity he can go all over the multiverse whenever he wants while Lolth is stuck in the Demonweb Pits unless someone opens a portal to the Abyss or summons her directly somehow.

I mean, since he's banished and has no divine realm of his own he HAS to travel all over the multiverse, but you know.
It's something!
>>
>>49025312
>she is STILL stuck as a greater demon lord in the Abyss (albeit one with deific powers) while her two kids are still full deities.
How does that jive with her still dwarfing the power of her kids?
>>
How do I create depth to my long death monk? What kind of interesting goals could a guy who think death is inevitable have?
I want to play him as a jolly and amiable guy who's fascinated by death but I feel he's a bit one dimensional atm.
>>
>>49025486

That probably has a lot to do with how you measure power; a human wizard can move across planes with relative ease, but Lolth can't, and she's certainly the more powerful, right?

She can be an immensely powerful entity but still not able to attain that which she desires (namely to get the fuck out of the Abyss).
>>
>>49025600
I guess. I was reasoning that godliness just needs a certain power level, worshipper wise. Being bound to hell would be a different issue.

But eh, metaphysical semantics and all.
>>
File: mr peanutbutter.jpg (11KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
mr peanutbutter.jpg
11KB, 236x236px
>>49025575

play him like pic related, come up with the craziest schemes and be down for everything.
>>
>>49025466
>I mean, since he's banished and has no divine realm of his own he HAS to travel all over the multiverse, but you know.
That's fine actually. I remember a few gods in D&D like that and it works well for them.

People tend to shit on D&D's settings but if you take like, just the individual elements, there's good shit there. The aforementioned Lolth has the aforementioned bags of style. Vhaeraun has some interesting stuff with his manifestations. And there are just some total wild gods out there, like that weird nuclear family insect goddess, the /k/ innawoods god of elves and the giant evil blind mole gnomes worship.
>>
>>49025575
I would go in an opposing way: he's lost the ability to feel pleasure and joy but he has this cold hard desire to get it back, and he's constantly forcing it. Can't think of a decent way for it to be something that was forced upon him rather than the usual long death fluff, though.
>>
>>49025011

Vengeance is more about "cleaning up" I think. You go kill the greater evil and then you help whoever's been ruined or negatively affected by that greater evil because in a way it's your fault they're like that because you didn't kill the greater evil fast enough (or perhaps while killing him some shit went wrong; you're responsible for that too and you gotta get aid these people however you can).

Even at it's worst Vengeance is still about serving the greater good I guess.
>>
>>49025167

I imagine if Lolth literally fucks anything it's to get something out of them.
>>
Something I'm unclear on in regards to Eilistraee: for what reason did she choose to go into exile? I mean, I don't see how not choosing that would prevent her from being the good feel goddess of the drow in opposition to her mother.

Please note my reaseach info comes merely from a number of wikis.
>>
>>49025486
What >>49025600 said.
Demon Princes and Infernal Dukes have power and cults on par with many gods, but UNLIKE gods unless specific circumstances are met they are permanently stuck in their layer of the Abyss.
Ever notice how seemingly every fiendish cult's end goal revolves around summoning their patron to the Material Plane?

That would be why.
>>49025635
She's more powerful then her kids but is basically stuck sitting in her fat spider ass in the Abyss working only through intermediaries, even though in terms of raw might she likely outclasses many lesser gods.
>>49025669
D&D's cosmology and an interlinked universes are quite entertaining in a comic bookey kind of way, and settings like Faerun have a really wonderful amount of detail on things that normally get overlooked.
>>49025713
Probably.
>>49025739
Because she basically wanted to share the suffering of her people.
From a more practical standpoint, her divine domain would be with the rest of the Dark Seldarine in the Demonweb Pits, and there Lolth would have complete control over them and likely just kill them both outright just to be rid of them.

Vhaeraun and Elistraee may be "vagrant" deities now, but they are also free to actively oppose Lolth despite being underlings in her own pantheon.
>>
>>49025853
>Vhaeraun and Elistraee may be "vagrant" deities now, but they are also free to actively oppose Lolth despite being underlings in her own pantheon.

It's also a kind of metaphor for their own position; both are the deities of smaller, weaker powers compared to Lolth, but like Lolth's worshippers just sit underground and stew while being crazy just as Lolth herself does the same her kid's religions are more flexible and asymmetric, going onto the surface and enacting plans regular drow could never really catch wind of at any point.
>>
File: warsong gulch.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
warsong gulch.webm
3MB, 854x480px
Does anyone have the player's handbook PDF? The link I used to use is dead now.
>>
>>49025853
>Vhaeraun and Elistraee may be "vagrant" deities now, but they are also free to actively oppose Lolth despite being underlings in her own pantheon.

I heard Greenwood say that they're like kinda chummy as of 5e actually.
>>
>fucking familiars
>daily reminder many this general thinks it's perfectly fine to go pact of the chain, obtain familiar, fly it 5ft above an enemy and by RAW make it use the help action every single turn with 9/10 enemies not even knowing it's there, and only being able to hit it in an AoE if they also target their friends

Killing the familiars of players that abuse them as weapons would be so much more satisfying if the familiar ritual took longer than an hour.

Fuck that smug quasit
>>
>>49025959
They are, though that took some doing.
Vhaeraun tried to backstab Eliastraee during the Silence of Lolth (a plan where she withdrew all of her power from her priests to separate the Demonweb Pits from the Abyss), but Elistraee kilt him and took his portfolio before getting killed by Lolth herself during the Spellplague thing.

After the Retcon Beam undid all of that, Greenwood said Vhaeraun and Elistraee are basically frenemies now, having opposing agendas but quietly working together against Lolth until she's finally gone for good.
>>
So I'm making a Sorcerer archetype based off of the Red Mage from Final Fantasy. Can I get some of /5eg/'s opinion on it?

RED MAGE

As a Red Mage, you may know up to two more spells and two cantrips with which you have the spell slots to cast chosen from the Cleric's spell list. These spells do not count against the number of spells you can know, and they are considered to be Sorcerer spells for you. Your Cleric spells known increases to 3 at the 4th level, 4 at the 8th level,5 at the 12th level, and 6 at the 20th level. You may not choose Cleric spells that require slots over the 5th level.

BONUS PROFICIENCIES

At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor and three simple or martial melee weapons of your choice.

EXTRA ATTACK

Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

CRIMSON AURA

At the 14th level, all who look upon you are enamored with your talent, which radiates like a beacon when you wear the color of your namesake. When you are wearing plainly visible clothes or armor that is primarily colored red, you gain advantage on Persuassion, Intimidation, and Deception checks, but have disadvantage on Stealth checks. Both effects do not apply when you are not wearing red.

DOUBLECAST

Starting at the 18th level you learn how conserve your pool of Sorcery Points for when you need them the most. Your Twinned Spell Metamagic now costs 0 points for cantrips of the Evocation and Conjuration schools.

1/2
>>
>>49026035
>After the Retcon Beam undid all of that,
Goddamn, I bet that was frustrating as fuck to Lolth.

>Be a major divine power, stuck in one stupid layer of the Abyss.
>Struggle against your bonds for millennia.
>Finally enact a long-term plan that gives you your own divine realm separate from the Abyss, turning you into a proper deity again.
>Kill your rebellious kids and finally claim absolute unchallenged mastery over your space race.
>Less then a century later some unexplained bullshit that has nothing to do with you happens and you're stuck right back where you were again.
>Even your fucking kids come back to life and now they're okay with working together against you.
>>
>>49026097
2/2
ORIGIN FLUFF

A faint glow from a scarred chest, barely visible through light clothing marks the bearer of a Red Mage. A Red Mage is unlike any typical sorcerer. While most of them stumble upon their powers by chance, a Red Mage is one who seeks it out. With no desire to be bound to a patron like a Warlock or stuck in a musty library like a Wizard, the Red Mage chooses to undertake in a bloody ritual wherein they cut out their own heart and replace it with a carefully construted arcane stone. This stone serves as the engine of not only their body, but their spellcasting as well.
>>
>>49026119
>the bearer of a Red Mage.
Red Heart*
>>
File: 1447655357513.png (66KB, 247x200px) Image search: [Google]
1447655357513.png
66KB, 247x200px
>>49025955
pls respond
>>
>>49026137
read the OP
>>
>>49025991
As a DM, I had my players familiar get mad at him and refuse to put itself in danger. He had to buy it a 200 gold collar before it would actually go into harms way, and he started carrying half-size rations for it.
>>
>>49026137
https://www.4shared.com/office/wAbPelNwce/DnD_5e_Players_Handbook.html
Shit copy with no color and some page number issued but here you go.
>>
>>49026137
It's in the OP under rulebooks > core
>>
>>49026167
>>49026171
>>49026173
thanks m80s
>>
>>49025991
Pact of the Tome all day. Free ritual cast identify and Comprehend Language with the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation.
>>
>>49026330
and don't forget you can get a regular familiar
>>
>>49026097
>

Crimson Aura is... ungood
>>
>>49026653
What do you reccomend in its place that can be as good as the dragon sorc's wings?
>>
Quick correction. Lolth and other Demon lords can move freely through the Abyss. They mainly stay in their domains as they are at their strongest there. But Lolth can move around the Abyss (And the outer planes for that matter.) with no issue. The Material Plane is off limits to them however unless they are summoned or something special happens.
>>
>>49026803

idk. Does it have to be charisma based?
>>
>>49024280
The best familiar is an imp. Invisibility shape shifting, and he won't leave you because he got bored.
>>
What's a not gay way to make the fate of the world directly tied to the actions/alignment of the players?

I was thinking something like Morrowind, where the players are a group of people that have all been determined, through vaguely alluded to divinations, to be likely candidates for some prophecy. Maybe they can all mantle the roll, or maybe only one can. Maybe one or all of them actually are the right person, but regardless their actions will determine if the plot progresses in a demon friendly or angel friendly way.

Is there a better way?
>>
Honestly I avoid familiars at every turn. I just don't find them enjoyable as a mechanic. I know they can be super useful, but I'm not a fan.
>>
>>49027346
High level play they can directly influence the world at large by killing gods and shit. Lower level, either make it so more powerful entities or forces are influenced by them (easy one is GOOs) or what you said.
>>
>>49027405
I was thinking just a standard campaign starting at first or third level. My current idea is that there is a sort of god king that they are alleged to be descended from, and as such their actions will influence it's behavior. i.e. Them being nice would make the world a happy/safe place and them being dicks would make the world a sad/dangerous place.

I want to do a Fable-esque kind of thing where evil actions are incentive, but have bad outcome for the characters themselves I may even go full blown and make it hard/bad to make entirely good choices. (a pacifist godking isn't great in a D&D cosmology)

How could player actions influence GOOs?
>>
>>49027562
I mean GOOs can be literally anything, maybe time itself fell in love with one of the PCs and will transform the world around them as it thinks they want from their actions. Even entities without direct power, like someone controlling dreams, can still influence big stuff and alter how people think or act.
>>
>>49027346
Sometimes, at lower levels, even a smaller thing can scale into something much larger.

>party go through portal to strange land to investigate
>find possible source of portal problems, kill evil things
>portal closed
>have to quest to open it again if they ever want to make it back
>go off to do favours while asking some guy to fix it
>guy ultimately ends up making a permanent connection, getting in contact with major nations to broker deals, party gets free access through
>the party has now ended up causing a portal between many nations that probably didn't even know each other existed before and a whole load of diplomatic and tension scenarios
>also needing to defend the portal foci from more of the angry, ancient creatures seeking to close it

Like that example, at lower levels every player's action doesn't have to be massive, but it can snowball somewhat with help.
At later levels, the party's strong enough to do crazy shit and get away with it anyway.
"Lol, fate" always seems really bland.
>>
>>49027628
I like this. Makes me think of Che Colour of Magic. Maybe the prophecy is that the god king is going to take a spouse.
>>
>>49027650
Yeah, 'lol fate' is what I was trying to avoid. That's why a like morrowind because through the whole game no one really knows if you are the nerevarine or you are just doing the things the nerevarine as supposed to do because everyone keeps telling you to do them.

I don't want to do a snowball efect though. I don't want it to be like 'oh we fucked up' at level 10. I want it to be like 'maybe we are fucking up' when lemures start to roam, showing early evidence of a gate opening.
>>
>>49027727
In the example I'd shown, the players have plenty of power to go "Okay, this isn't okay." and try to instigate the monsters to take it back, and 'hope' that that leaves things more peaceful.

If they want to get more social, they could try to establish themselves as sort of diplomat-heroes.

Or, they could just do the boring and obvious thing of helping them clear out the monsters and keeping things running.

I guess the problem with 'fate' or 'not sure if fate, but you're doing these things' is that it kind of says to the players that there's already a number of things they're expected to do.
Which is good in a way, because it gives them an end goal.
Also bad in a way, because those characters might not want that end goal, or may want to leave a particular quest to authorities and go handle something else.

Hmm.. If you don't want things to snowball, just emphasise the local impact actions have. You save a village from a bandit raid and train them to fight for themselves, you've got allies for the foreseeable future, and already a small populance that loves you.
>>
>>49027854
What you are describing is just like any other D&D campaign. I really want to emphasize the importance of the players choices as well as the planes corresponding to alignments.

I think I see what you mean about players feeling like they are expected to do something though. I might solve that by making the faction that introduces them a kind of neutral one and/or making the player spread across the alignment spectrum. So the players know that their actions will determine the fate of the world, (which is gonna be bad regardless because a perfectly happy world isn't fun to adventure in, but is easy pickings for evil creatures) but not pressure them into feeling like they need to pick a specific outcome.

Spreading out player alignments might even make for interesting political intrigue... Like maybe the evil member of the party in employed to steer things in an evil direction and vice versa.
>>
>>49027367

Good for you. Too many players just want to play the crunch to the best possible theorycraft and not embrace a roleplay playing style they enjoy.
>>
>>49027997
You'd have to include something then to stop people straight-out killing the evil person if they make it obvious. Something about that fate stuff again.
But then, if they don't kill tem 'because the world depends on it' but that character dies in the adventure anyway, maybe they'd feel a bit rused?

Would be interesting if each character corresponded to a particularl alignment. With four players, perhaps every alignment that doesn't include any neutrality, one for each.

You'd have to think about what'd happen if a player dies and needs replacing, but if you can survive the clicheness which the players probably won't mind then it should be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 400x701px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 400x701px
Tomorrow I am playing D&D for the first time. I'm trying to put together my character sheet and I could use a little help; I've only tried in-game or forum roleplaying before. Can anyone walk me through it on voice chat and google docs, maybe? I have Skype and Discord. So far I have my basic information and attributes down, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by skill selection.
>>
>>49028091

I enjoy having a cute Wizard pet I can buddy up with. It's like having an adorable side kick.

Just as expendable as the real robin too.
>>
>>49028211
in 5e its really hard to fuck your character mechanically. it'll be fine. just pick what you like best.
>>
>>49028211
It's literally the first chapter in the book, Anon. If it's too much for you, 5e isn't for you.
>>
>>49028169
Yeah I thought about that. I was actually thinking one player for each axis. Like a NG, LN CN, NE so each player represents a side of the field Good Law Chaos and Evil. I don't know about the killing thing. I think a session 0 would be ideal. So they players make characters that will actually work together in spite of their alignments...

After that I feel like it's pretty much understood that either player killing is okay (in which case there is no problem because everyone is on the same page) or it's not. (In which case there is no problem.

I think I might really just make players who die come in as mercenaries or whatever that are supposed to defend the remaining 'nerevarines'.
They could be whatever alignment they want, and they can still steer the events of the world by influencing party choices. I think that would make players not want to die (Cuz who wants to be some smuck?) and if a player did die it would make them realize that maybe this prophecy shit is just BS considering that smuck is effecting the world as much as they are.

If the whole original party died their might be a problem... Perhaps I could make it a 'hardcore' style campaign where the last survivor gets a wifing by the godking... That's kinda anti-climactic though.
>>
>>49025955
It's in the MEGA in the op. Learn to read, shitwit.
>>
Hey guys, I'm going to be in my first 5e (or any D&D) game tomorrow, and I'm still trying to nail down my character. So far I'm thinking a DEX Fighter using a Rapier, going into Eldritch Knight. For Race I'm going Variant Human to get a starting feat of Magic Initiate: Warlock, to get my hands on Hex, Lightning Lure, and Booming Blade early. If it helps my stats as of now are:
STR 8 (8)
DEX 16 (15+1VH)
CON 14 (14)
INT 14 (13+1VH)
WIS 12 (12)
CHA 10 (10)

How reasonable does this all seem? I've also thought of going Archer EK, but is that possible until I get the War Caster feat? Which seems better, Archer or Duelist? Should I scrap it and go STR based? I have no experience with D&D (other than CRPGs), and feel like I'm fumbling in the dark.
>>
>>49028265
I'm struggling a bit to make sure I have all the information together that I need. Racial bonuses, feats, skills, class abilities, etc. I've never done anything like this and I would really like the help of a veteran. I know I'm already going to slow things down since I've never played before. I don't want to hold things up further spending an hour tomorrow making my character... But I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>49028265
I don't own a copy of the book. I was invited to a campaign by some coworkers yesterday so I'm trying to put something together. I've never done this before and I don't want to show up with nothing or something stupid.
>>
>>49028407
if you are going EK then skip the feat, you'll get two out of the three just by virtue of being an EK
>>
>>49028407
Why would you need War Caster? You can hold a bow in one hand while you're not actively shooting it.
>>
>>49028446
book is in the mega in the OP man
>I don't want to hold things up further spending an hour tomorrow making my character.
so make it today.
>>
I was just recently kicked out of my group. I have mixed feelings.
>>
>>49028407
The saving throw on Lightning Lure is going to be very low since it will be Charisma based from Magic Initiate: Warlock. Pick a cantrip that doesn't rely on your Charisma modifier. Booming Blade is a solid choice in that regard.

Dumping Cha makes more sense than dumping Str. Several monsters force you to make Str saving throws if they hit.
>>
>>49028466
Advantage on concentrations checks is nice if your table remembers them.
>>
>>49028537
An archer EK works just fine delaying that feat until later though. It's not a requirement to be functional, as the poster seemed to imply.
>>
>>49028469
What did you do?
>>
>>49028468
I'd just like some help, someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to make sure I'm doing it right.
>>
>>49028574
well then start by reading the book. THEN you can ask questions on parts you find confusing.
>>
>>49024588
The intent for the MM seems to be that mages have to find and pact with the variant familiars, but keep in mind the special traits some of them have can be overly good at low levels.
>>
>>49028333
Well, I think that all works nicely.

Aside from the 'last one standing gets X' thing.

I guess, instead, they just simply lose the campaign if they all die and either
a) if they like their current characters, go forth to try setting the world right
b) start over in a less ideal world, that world having lost those it relied upon before.
>>
>>49028211

for skills perception is always good. make sure you pick what YOU think your character would be good at (not necessarily what's strong)
>>
>>49028568
In order to explain how I got kicked out. I should mention the campaign a few months back.
>playing as a half orc fighter
>our group was in a local tavern getting drunk
>said tavern had a group of half orc warriors
>our wizard manage to piss off the entire group
> some fucking how, we got 25 orcs inside the tavern because one wasn't enough including the leader
> a bullshit miracle happen where the wizard projected the deity of half orcs and convinced them to go after the thieves guild.
>dm forced me to roll a con saving throw
>failed roll
>End up being possessed by our wizard's false god
>I get thrown into a jail after this battle
> for a whole fucking month real time
>I begged the dm to get me the fuck out of here, this is bullshit
>>
File: 1465014722434.png (1MB, 900x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1465014722434.png
1MB, 900x1044px
>>49028551
I wasn't sure if I could get away with using a two-hand weapon (like a Longbow), and still cast. What would be the best way to play a EK Archer, spells wise?
>>
>>49028748
that was the means, what was the lead up? Was there tension with your group? Did they explicitly say they wanted you out of the game? Did they talk to you like another reasonable person or adult about an out of game problem with your conduct either on or out of character a t the table?
>>
>>49028757
Pick mostly defensive spells. Shield is solid. Misty Step is a good off-school pick for those levels you're allowed to do that. Take Shocking Grasp as one of your cantrips so you can get out of melee range easily if something gets in your face.
>>
>>49028757
>What would be the best way to play a EK Archer, spells wise?
by being a Ranger, honestly. EK spell selection isn't very suitable for Archery.
>>
>>49028804
False. EK is still better than ranger, valor bard is better than either though
>>
>>49028902
EK is a better archer than a ranger, but the ranger spell selection is superior to the EK's in terms of complimenting archery.

Bard is better than everyone at everything, so it doesn't count.
>>
>>49028748
Cont
>uh ya we should help orc
>took my party a whole month to stop what they were doing to finally get me
>dm makes this jail into a fucking labyrinth underdark bullshit last minute
>copied the fucking piano puzzle in silent hill one
>finally get to me
>i guess that ends our session
> completely mad
>after I finally group up we go through a series of metal doors for this one room
>plenty of other rooms to go through but we figure it was worth going in
> after the druid and wizard break through these doors dm decides to make a series of traps
> manage to get through easily but the people who use spells were almost drained
>dm gives us a boss
>skull knight with a great sword and vainy armor
>this was my first combat session in a long time
>the fucking wizard convinced this skull knight with a nat 20 to give us a long rest
>dm gets pissed and tells us he's gonna call it quits
>"dm,It's my turn for initiative
>????
>I dash over and gave the knight a german suplex with a nat 20
>three people in our group are pissed
>other three were thrilled and joined with me
>ended up killing this fuck
Get a message from group chat saying I dangered the party and that deserves my characer to be killed and any other character I make in the future. What a shit show.
>>
>>49028574

I'll try and help Anon. What kind of character do you want to play? Do you wanna beat stuff up in close combat, cast magic, be sneaky, or some combo? There's also several free character building apps you can get for your phone. Dick around with one, and use the point buy method when building stats. If you're a caster, you'll have to pick what spells you want on your own, but it should give you an idea of what the process entails.

Alternately, you could just browse the pregenerated characters posted in the OP, and copy/modify one of those.
>>
What level range is Storm king's thunder for anyway?
>>
>>49029034
I only have a flip phone, but I'm kind of piecing together a character sheet in google docs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FEfF_vGszQcHv_DUyPdQvcTQC0ve8lx_jq4k6sT7Tjo/edit?usp=sharing

So far the skill modifiers are what I have racial bonuses for. I'm still reading up about everything I need. I think I want to play a half-elf Paladin, Oath of Devotion, acolyte background. I know I still need to add some things to the sheet like, my hit points (10 +d10 (I rolled a 7) + Constitution modifier (mine is +3)), my speed (30), hit die, etc etc. I'm just making sure I figure everything out and once I know what it is and how I want it formatted, I put it in.
>>
>>49029012
>>49028786
>>
>>49026035
https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/3sjtqy/some_new_info_about_eilistraee_and_vhaeraun_from/
>>
>>49029012
DM was made you were spoiling his fun. reminds me of my THAT DM story

>FLGS has a dm that wants to run 5e
>okaycool
>join in
>make a tiefling paladin
>DM says that my character is dumb, eyes me the whole time
>end up falling do to bullshit reasons and ''oh your devil side took over!''
Another time
>friend wants to play a rogue with madness
>rolls a percentile at the start of each initiative to see if he does something wacky
>DM looks at him and says ''okay roll d20 and take that much damage''
>wut
>later on we are in a cultist hide out
>my character, being a dwarf decides to rush in in the name of moradin, fuck tactics
>dm looks at me and says ''okay your character gets eaten by a spider, you are dead''
>''but don't I get to make a save or...''
>''no you are dead''
>''can I roll a new character?''
>''yea but start at level 1 and you have to wait until next session, sorry''
>we all end up leaving once we hear of a better game being ran
>dm makes rant on flgs bulletin board saying how we were cheaters who didn't take the game seriously
>>
>>49029012

If what you're saying is a real story, you didn't get kicked out of a party. You were shown a group of people that aren't worth playing with.
>>
>>49029012
That Guy stories are tolerable and even amusing, but That GM stories just makes me fucking depressed.
>>
This might be the wrong place to ask, but why isn't the Mystara setting used anymore? I liked the videogames.
>>
>>49028407
I'd say for melee EK that you should go STR since that gives the fighter more and better options as far as weaponry goes. Consult your DM as to whether or not you can use a two hander and cast a spell without War Caster. I don't recall if the rules for that are outlined anywhere in the PHB or not, but I'm quite a fan of halbredier EKs.

I'd also say dump Warlock Magic Initiate for Wizard since you cast with INT, and it gives you access to a spell that EK can't pick naturally.
>>
>>49029157

Cool, look at an official template though, just to make sure you're not missing anything. You still need equipment too, I think. Be also sure to write down all racial and class traits.
>>
My DM will allow me to play a Faun/ Satyr bard, if I can just make him as a ballanced amalgam of traits from all other official playable races (i.e. something that makes sense for a fey bard)

What do you think I should go for? Just a straight up reskinned Charm tiefling?
>>
>>49029355
Yeah, I need equipment and my paladin skills down. Any suggestions for starting gear?
>>
>>49029285
redundancy, probably. is it that different from greyhawk and forgotten realms?
>>
>>49028644
I think I might go with, "One of you is destined to marry a god. We don't know which one. If that person dies it could be really bad... So don't die."
>>
>>49029136

1st to 10th or 11th, I think. There's also an option for 5th to 10th or 11th, if you're picking up from LMoP or another module.
>>
>>49029477
Just go read Hitmen for Destiny.
>>
>>49029477
And if anyone dies the order that brought the players together will probably be like, 'fix it! fix it! fix it fast!'
>>
>>49029296
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/26/while-ago-you-guys-said-this-and-i-was-happy-to-hear-it/ at least there's this series of tweets to go by for developer RAI
>>
>>49029520
I'm not sure how this is relevant...
>>
File: creeperdarkos.jpg (6KB, 116x139px) Image search: [Google]
creeperdarkos.jpg
6KB, 116x139px
storm king scan when
>>
>>49029639
It's a fun look at the consequences of fate. The art is terrible, the story is incredible.
>>
>>49029296
>>49028407
I'm more of a fan of dex eldritch knights.

Eldritch knights are the worst fighters for damage, and instead tankier given they have options such as 'shield', 'absorb elements' and that.

Not only that, eldritch knights are less dependent on high damage weapons because they can use booming blade, green flame blade or even a ranged cantrip and then make a melee attack. This means less rolling with weapon damage die, more rolling spell damage.

Dexterity 20 and studded leather or half-plate is better defence-wise than strength and plate armour.

Magic initiate to get hex is a pretty nice idea, even if you end up using cantrips and proc it less than others. Still, you might want to take something like eldritch blast so you have the best ranged cantrip on hand. Lightning lure is a bit of an awkward ability, and doesn't even trigger booming blade. Might be good if you stop just 10ft short of an enemy or need to take them away from an ally, though, so not a terrible choice. Works well since at level 7 you can attack after.
Again, you're probably best off going dexterity with rapier + shield and being a fairly tanky person.

Eldritch knights are the worst archers out of all fighters, however, which is why I suggested something such as eldritch blast-

Oh, I forgot. Lightning lure and eldritch blast will both scale off of your charisma. Booming blade won't.
>>
>>49029713
The start of it is not very good m8.
>>
>>49029781

I think mostly with Eldritch Knights you should keep using your attacks past level 11, saving Booming Blade for warcaster and possibly using green flame blade for an easy AOE.

I do like Dex Eldritch Knights too. And even though it's not great, a fireball on multiple enemies that have been hit with eldritch strike still isn't BAD.
>>
>>49029781
So, for a DEX Rapier EK, should I go Booming Blade, Mage Hand, and Hex for Magic Initiate?
>>
>>49029835
Well thats because it's kind of just an excuse to get you to 4th level. The 5 to 10 stuff is the meat of the book.
>>
>>49029870
>Well thats because it's kind of just an excuse to get you to 4th level.
That's not a good "excuse".
>>
>>49029781
Did you just claim that 1d10 rolled with CHA is a better option for a fighter than 1d10+DEX rolled with DEX?

r u fkn dumb anon?

Majority of Battlemaster maneuvers don't work with ranged attacks, and the Purple Dragon Knight gets nothing for ranged attacks at all, but somehow EK is such a bad archer it needs to go extra MAD and blow a feat on a fuckin Warlock cantrip?

die in a fire
>>
>>49029854

I like the idea of going Magic Initiate for Wizard spells just to increase your cantrip selection and getting a free casting of shield or mage armor....but I'm also a huge faggot so whatever.

Hex is probably a pretty good idea though Haste might be a better buff to concentrate on later in the game (when Hex really starts to pay off anyways).
>>
>>49029895
It's also not bad. Just ok.
>>
File: 1442073002431.jpg (60KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1442073002431.jpg
60KB, 562x1000px
>>49029913
Fire Bolt, Booming, and Mage Armor then?
>>
>>49029907
its 2d10 after 5

with hex it can be 2d10+2d6
>>
>>49029937
I would say that the part with the orcs and the journey with the giant are outright bad. The goblins at the start are also pretty bad.

The only interesting parts of the adventure are the Zhentarim and the goblins in the caves. With some points for stuff like having the village leader killed prior to the adventure starting. But even the hook is shit, desu.
>>
>>49029967
That's 3.5 damage for a -2 to hit.
>>
>>49029854
Hunter's Mark, because it works whether you attack with the Attack action or via blade spells
>>
>>49029967
with extra attack it's also 2d8 after 5 with a longbow. if you're gonna use a feat, then you can get 2d10 with a heavy xbow.

not him, but I agree with him in the sense that forcing an EK to pick up CHA is pretty shit, unless you're going intless.
>>
So how common is it to have various real world pantheons in a setting? Would very few GMs/settings allow for clerics of Ra, Zeus, Odin, etc. or is it pretty normal?
>>
>>49029854
Booming blade is probably the only attack cantrip that does not rely on your spellcasting modifier AT ALL.

If there's no other feat you want to take such as shield master, or you really want the extra cantrips, go ahead.

Hex is good, and ever better with eldritch blast as eldritch blast procs hex multiple times (other cantrips only proc it once). But again, eldritch blast is charisma-based.
Hex uses your bonus sometimes, which you use mostly for second wind or making a bonus attack after casting a cantrip at level 7 (though you could always multi-attack instead of casting at that point).

If you want to use ranged weapons, you can. Just be aware that a shield occupies one of your hands and can only be put on and taken off with a full action, so shields don't work well with two-handed ranged weapons.

So, for magic initiate, booming blade and hex are good. The last one could be eldritch blast if you have good charisma or mage hand/some sort of utility otherwise.

>>49029852
The best levels for BB/GFB on EK are:
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17, 18, 19.
That's what I'd say, anyway.

Fireball is nice, but it's too little too late for the EK.

>>49029907
You cannot easily use ranged options while also holding a shield.
It uses force damage, too.
EB triggers the level 7 ability.
Ranged would be good if it wasn't inconvenient, and would be better on battlemaster.

Only three battlemaster abilities need a melee weapon.
>>
>>49029965

Don't even bother with Firebolt. I mean, I guess if you REALLY want a ranged attack, Firebolt isn't bad. But for the most part Firebolt isn't worth it because if you're Dex you could just pull out a bow and do probably more damage. I like grabbing cantrips like Prestidignation and Minor Illusion to increase my out of combat utility. That's the fighter's big weakness so it's nice to shore it up a bit.
>>
>>49029988
What the Castle is cool
>>
>>49029967
and an archer is 2d10+2*DEX

and with Hunter's Mark, is 2d10+2*DEX+2d6
>>
>>49030052

Even that late into the game though, if you hit a few targets with it fireball will outdamage your regular attacks by far. Also, regular attacking is better than Booming Blade because you'll wind up getting your ability modifier damage over multiple hits typically BUT I can see why you'd use it at 17-19 before you get your 4th attack.
>>
>>49030026
Can't take Hunter's Mark, gotta pick the 3 from one of bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or
wizard.
>>
where the fuck did the surge in popularity for EKs come from? literally nobody talked about them until just like a week ago
>>
>>49029965
Mage armour is kind of meh.

You get +1 AC once you reach 20 dex over half-plate.

If the DM gives you any magical armour like +1 studded leather, it may also become redundant.

Hex is fairly solid throughout the game, and even has a nice little utility feature you can stick on people.
>>
Alright buys, I'm looking for some advice.

A friend of mine let me know that him and his girlfriend want to play DnD. They know almost nothing about it but want to try. My wife is somewhat ambivalent about it but will turn around and probably have fun with it if she tries. All three of the aforementioned players are huge nerds that spend their free time on anime, video games, and board games.

Here's the problem. The extent of my experience is DnD video games and reading source books. I have never played or GM'd any pen and paper game. Even with my lack of experience I am the most suited to GM out of the group.

So my question is, where do I start?
>>
>>49030121
They and bladelocks were always common in my experience, people just like their arcane gishes who can summon weapons and shit.
>>
>>49030072
You mean the tower or the keep?

If I ever run it I'll put a dying, partially crushed guard captain in the keep and I'll make each of the other four guards a traitor to one of the groups in the area. I'll probably drop the orcs entirely, and I'll definitely reorganize the caves even though I'll keep the main goblins the same.

I don't know what to do with the giant at all. Shit is just dull as-written, and has no reason to be. That random encounter with a dragon and some dwarves, what?
>>
>>49030112
At levels 1-4, it is a direct upgrade of your regular attacl.
At levels 5-6 multi-attack is better unless your dex is bad or you know you can get that booming blade damage.
At levels 7-10, you get a bonus attack whenever you cast booming blade. Booming blade is now a direct upgrade again, unless you have no bonus action.
Levels 11-16 are where I'd say it's either-or, quite often.
Levels 17-19, booming blade comes out on top from that damage increase.
Level 20, multi-attack is likely the most viable option, for adding your +5 modifier four times.
>>
>>49030144
Start imagining and taking notes for your world in your free time, anon.

Can't start an adventure without a reason.
>>
>>49030005
So you hit 10% less often. That means 10% less damage. You lose .35 damage on average as a result of that.
>>
>>49029285
It wasn't as fleshed out as other settings I suppose.
>>
>>49030030
I'm not that anon, but I'd take levels in warlock if I was going to do it... Which I wouldn't because both of those classes are boring as fuck.
>>
>>49030149
>>49030121

Weapon Bond IS really cool.
>>
>>49030152
The giant tower with the hat
>>
>>49028407
Also, there is another viable way to do Eldritch Knight, as suggested, going intless.

You don't need int awfully badly, so you can get away with it.

If you have access to the '+1 to ranged attacks (includes spells), no disadvantage in close quarters (includes spells)' fighting style, pick it up.
You can then get two levels in warlock (And can grab hex if you want), for agonizing blast.
Instead of going for dex and int, you go for dex and charisma.

Add onto that 7 levels of Eldritch Knight, and you have yourself a very Eldritch Knight indeed.

From EK7/Warlock2 you can honestly do whatever the fuck you want with your levels, because eldritch blast levels itself up.

It might not be an ultra pro l33t build, but it's what I think is a very strong alternative to going straight-up EK. You'll fall behind a tiny bit on high-level spells, but the EK never gets past level 4 spells anyway..
>>
>>49030144
>So my question is, where do I start?
Read the DMG, then try your best. If you don't do perfect, it's because it's your first time and first times are often not perfect.
What, did you think there was a special "git gud" trick all GM's know?

You just have to try it and keep working at it like any other skill.
>>
>>49030336
Ah I don't think it's very good, anon. The hat is pretty great, but just the actual stuff that happens there isn't so hot.
>>
>>49030121
fa/tg/uys always love gishes bc they are faggots
>>
File: 1267473643764.jpg (59KB, 552x552px) Image search: [Google]
1267473643764.jpg
59KB, 552x552px
>playing LE druid
>paladin lady in the party
>give evil the boot type of character
>have plans to unite the slavery market into one global syndicate
>whenever paladin lady gets suspicious of me I just turn into a bunny and she gets distracted
>she doesn't know that soon I will have the entire economy of all the kingdoms in my pocket and the power to rule with an iron fist

insolent fools
>>
>>49030338

If you're going to multiclass might as well do it for Wizard and and just bump your Int. I'm a big fan of EK 10/Wizard 10 (especially Blade Singer).
>>
>>49030144
Watch one of the more popular D&D youtubes or listen to actual play podcasts. You'll learn more by watching other (mostly) competent people play than you will by reading the shit-ass DMG.

The DMG will give you an idea of how to plan encounters, though.
>>
>>49030400
It's not just /tg/, if you did a survey I'm sure at least 50% of people would answer they've played Blade over the other two, and this is when it's the weakest option basically. If it was as good as tome it would probably be 80%.
>>
>>49030436
>has spineless DM
>is that player
>greentext is lie

which is it
>>
>>49030436
>LE
>Druid
Pick one.
>>
>>49030449
in conclusion D&D players are morons
>>
>>49030436
This isn't a thing that happened.
>>
>>49030467
my dm doesn't care if people have evil agendas, we don't always have to play good characters
>>
>>49030502
They're just childish, valuing "cool" factor maybe a bit much. Same with edgy characters, a lot of players are or act like teenagers.
>>
>>49030437
Oh, bladesinger is definitely a viable alternative there, yes. I didn't really consider that.

The real advantage of EK7/Warlock2 was that you could then level up whatever else you wanted. You could become a rogue and add sneak attack damage after making your bonus attack after making your eldritch blast attacks. You could become a barbarian for those times you don't feel like casting. You could level paladin to 6 for crazy save boosts. You could even level up sorcerer just so you can quicken spells or something, though that doesn't sound to great.

Bladesinger has a solid -2 hp / level compared to levelling up fighter, but given you wouldn't care much about levelling fighter after level 7 or so and bladesinger gives you a good deal of extra armour and even extra damage on hit along with sweet, sweet spellcasting...
>>
>>49030495
Druids aren't alignment restricted anymore, lawful Druids seem a bit iffy but I'm sure you could make a case for it.
>>
>>49030573

You go 10/10. 10 gets you eldritch strike which is huge and song of defense from Bladesinger, as well as 7th level slots to sacrifice to them (only 5th level spells though). It's a nice combination imo. Even if you just go some other form of Wizard most of them have a decent benefit. Divination is obvious, Abjuration gives you tons of temp HP with the AC to really abuse it, or even just Evocation so you can drop big blasts on yourself while your enemies have disadvantage on the saving throws (+another 5 to your damage via the level 10 feature, although the level 6 feature being totally fucking worthless kind of hurts this a bit).
>>
>>49030573
I'd suggest going at least Warlock 3 or a bit higher for that tasty pact. Tome would be a great choice for a EK since they lack Ritual Casting.
>>
How versatile is Eldritch Knight outside of combat?

Coming from Pathfinder... I'm reluctant to play Fighter...
>>
>>49030449
>>49030502
>>49030527
b8
>>
Has Storm King's thunder been put up on the trove yet?
>>
>>49030802
The 3 PHB fighter archetypes are some of the best things you can play in 5e, don't be afraid. However, you should drop the 3.PF notion that the spellcasting version is automatically the best.

EKs only get Abjuration and Evocation spells by default, though at specified levels they can pick anything from the wizard list. They're as versatile as limited access to the wizard list can make them. They don't have a ritual casting feature though, so it will cost you a feat or a multiclass to be able to use utility rituals without giving up slots, but that feat isn't something that only an EK can benefit from.
>>
>>49030916

And to be fair fighters are the one class that has lots of room to give up for feats.
>>
>>49030916
Champion may still have the Fighter base but as an archetype it's pretty bad. Unless you like the simplicity and can't deal with manoeuvres, battlemaster is allay better.
>>
>>49030707
Pacts are pretty weak normally.
However, familiars can be potentially abused.
Pact of the tome can give you all those rituals at the expense of your other invocation (no pushback eldritch blast) and...
Pact of the tome for shillelagh could work well here. 14 dex for medium armour or 15 strength for heavy armour and then go 20 in charisma.

Lifedrinker would be good if you didn't have to take that many levels to get it.

EK 7 and Warlock 2 would be what I'd call the core part of the build, though.

>>49030802
Unlike wizards, they cannot cast rituals. They have less spell slots, and those spell slots are probably for endless use of shield/absorb elements anyway. Or a spell such as haste.

I'd say.. They're not very useful outside of combat at all, but better than champion and ever so -

Oh, I forgot. EKs can only take abjuration and evocation beyond a certain level.

Yeah, all fighters don't have anything special outside of combat, really, unless you play your character well.

>>49030694
The level 10 feature isn't supergreat, but it's nice.
You get two attacks per turn or so (or more with a spell such as haste) to trigger it, and then you have to wait a turn to -

Oh.

If you can hit with something like haste, you can then cast a thing.

It's not something that helps you all the time such as uncanny dodge, but it's certainly a big boon when it happens.

Shame you can't use things like disintegrate with it.
>>
>>49030979
Show me where I said Champion was better. Champion is still decent because Fighter is decent, but I'd always recommend Battle Master as the best.
>>
>>49030916
>>49031014
Hmm... what about Battlemaster with Ritual Caster feat then?
>>
>>49031043
Lots of on-demand damage, group synergy, and out of combat utility. The only resources you worry about come back on a short rest. Solid choice if there's no wizard or tome warlock in the group.
>>
>>49030842
Not yet. Though hopfully soon.
>>
>>49031014

It lasts until the END of your next turn, so you can set up a big nova by striking 3 things with your regular attacks and then dropping double fireballs on yourself (as evocation that is, otherwise you can just haste bonus action to disengage and then drop double fireballs). against 3 targets that's way more damage than you'd do just regularly attacking at them.

Eldritch Knights also get access to some magic they can use to increase their exploration and out of combat abilities; mostly cantrips but things like Misty Step and other abilities can conceivably be utilized to increase your options out of combat. That's why I enjoy the subclass so much. Like Shadow monks over Open Hand, I enjoy the increased tool kit and options you get from not taking the "gud at combat" route.

I'd even take monster hunter over battle master, though, honestly. Battle master is probably better overall but I like the way Monster Hunter uses their superiority dice (and you can always end up with at least ONE maneuver).
>>
>>49031096
Monster Hunter can just take Martial Adept. Most Battle Masters I've seen only really use 3-4 maneuvers most of the time, and the innate abilities of the Monster Hunter are a pretty solid compliment to taking stuff like Trip Attack and Menacing Attack.
>>
>>49031096
Kinda sucks if the things you marked die in the next turn, though.

Fireball didn't really seem like the go-to for it. Something less raw damagey and more 'single target, save or be driven mad' sort of a spell seemed better.

Eldritch Knights cannot learn misty step by RAW - it is conjuration, and doesn't fit their 'evocation or abjuration, except for one level 1 spell' restriction.

I'm not very well hearsed in ranger options, so I don't know much about that. Might be worth looking at.
>>
>>49031064
There is a Wizard but he's ninja'ed loots and hide infomation often so no one in the party trust him.
>>
>>49031176
> The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th leveI can come from any school of magic.
>>
>>49031033
You said all the archetypes were some of the best in 5e, which I wouldn't say for champion. It wasn't meant to directly oppose what you said though, more as an addition to clarify the 3 aren't on quite the same level.
>>
>>49029385
My player wanted to play a Satyr. I just refluffled Half-Elf.
>>
>>49031249
Nope, but any flavor of fighter is built on such a solid base that you'll never be dragging the party down because of your mechanics.
>>
File: Drawfriend Warlock.png (247KB, 710x576px) Image search: [Google]
Drawfriend Warlock.png
247KB, 710x576px
Rolling up a GOO tome Warlock for an upcoming game. Unsure of what the rest of the party will be, but likely it'll be mostly genial types. What should I go for, build-wise? Starting level 3.
>>
>>49031176

Fireball is the go to for AOE but there's absolutely some solid spells you can use for just debuffs or control too, like Hold Person.

Or even just fucking grease.
>>
Ogres and Oubliettes General when?
>>
>>49031318
I always wanted to play a GOO warlock with proficiency in Deception and Persuasion, I'd roleplay something using Persuasion by speaking while simultaneously roleplaying the Deception part through telepathy to really fuck with NPCs.
>>
good name for rabbit people?
>>
>>49031428

Bunians, pronounced like Bunions.
>>
>>49031428
God dern carret-niggers
>>
>>49031243
Oh, I thought I misread something. I did remember something like that.

It's still not a lot of spells. Three spells known.
Fortunately the good stuff like shield is abjuration.

It still feels like it's lacking utiliy, though. The level 14 spell is probably going be used on a combat concentration buff like haste. The 8th is probably the most interesting as level 2 spells tend to be the utility ones.

>>49031329
Hold person seems perfect there, I thin.
>>
>>49031428
Shii-nani-gans.

How about floppers?
>>
>>49031397
Yeah, my general backstory is that he was just a researcher on a ship that got wrecked. He holed up in a cave for shelter, and in that cave discovered the presence of his patron (who isn't really aware of his existence). The Warlock isn't evil, but does want to share his patron with others. Knowing they'll likely be terrified of it, he is often dishonest (enter deception/persuasion). Genial, but manipulative.
>>
>>49031456

Since you auto crit it's definitely the better nova. Hold Person and then 3x attack (or Booming Blade/Attack) and then Action Surge for your full attack action all automatically scoring a critical hit seems pretty tough.

Unless Hold Person breaks early on the first hit, I forget.
>>
>>49031428

"How did we even evolve when we're at the bottom of the food chain-ians"
>>
>>49031492
It doesn't break on hit. It's pretty solid when you're fighting humanoids.
>>
>>49031538
By being sneaky enough to stay alive, clever enough to avoid traps (and make their own), speedy enough to escape enemies, and socially advanced enough to work together and eventually build a civilization instead of fending for themselves.
>>
>>49031492
They get to re-try the save at the end of their every turn.

If you take the level 7 EK feature to allow you to take a bonus action at any time after casting a cantrip, you can do:
>have haste cast on yourself
>booming blade
>action surge hold person with disadvantage if you hit booming blade, otherwise use your bonus attack first
>haste to attack them again
And then let your allies have at them, if they're still alive.
>>
>>49031610
Hold Person a spell people don't seem to realize is highly offensive disguised as a CC.
>>
>>49031610

If it lives towards your turn you're getting up to 8-9 attacks that all auto crit with advantage. that's a shit load of damage, no matter what weapon you're using.
>>
>>49031610
Hold person is a shit tier spell, and it's concentration. You can't haste and hold person.
>>
>>49031737
The concentration is a good point, but

>paralyze a target
>shit tier spell
It's a level 2 'save or die' type spell that works only on humanoids... And there are a lot of humanoids.

>advantage on attacks
>automatically crit if within 5ft
>they automatically fail dex and str saving throws
>they cannot move or cast spells with verbal components
>they cannot take actions
>they cannot take reactions
>they lose AT LEAST one turn, losing more turns if they keep failing their save
>if you upcast, you target an additional humanoid per spell level

It's shit if you go against weak-tier mooks all the time.

It's a cheap, effective and harsh boss-killer otherwise, though hopefully the boss's minions are smart enough to work out on their own to attack the one casting hold person, and maybe they'll actually hit, and maybe they'll actually break the concentration.
>>
>>49031610
>>have haste cast on yourself
>>booming blade
>>action surge hold person with disadvantage if you hit booming blade, otherwise use your bonus attack first
>>haste to attack them again
Why Booming Blade first? Use the haste attack to apply disadvantage on the Hold Person, then Action Surge so the extra damage of Booming Blade gets to double on the critical.
>>
>>49029012
>>the fucking wizard convinced this skull knight with a nat 20 to give us a long rest
nice memes
>>
>>49031610
You can't cast booming blade
>>
>>49031844
Oh, good point. I was just dead-set on making sure that bonus attack cropped up somewhere.

Doing it that way also means you can actually cast hold person after using your haste attack (though losing haste might not be worth it).

>>49031869
Booming blade has a verbal component and a range limitation not tied to the weapon itself.
I'd call it casting.
>>
>>49031891
Another thing I always forget
>once haste is removed from you, you cannot take actions until the end of your next turn
>>
>>49031891
I thought you meant have someone else Haste you, since at level 7 an EK doesn't have 3rd level spells. You should read what happens to you when Haste wears off and reconsider doing that combo solo.

>>49031932
Friendly sorcerer should be twinning it on you and another hard hitter at level 7 anyway.
>>
>>49031891
As in haste only lets you take the attack action. Not cast a spell, since booming blade requires a cast to initiate despite being a "weapon attack"
>>
Is GM Vs. Players an outdated ideal or is there still value in it?
>>
>>49031393
Do you actually have to roll to defend or is that just home brew.
>>
>>49031932

Haste and Hold Person is a nonbo but Hold Person is still an excellent spell to be packing when you give disadvantage by just being there.

It's better on Arcane Tricksters though, that's just mean.

>Hide from someone
>Hold Person
>Pop out and booming blade with sneak attack for shit loads of damage
>go hide again and give them disadvantage on the saving throw if they're still alive
>>
>>49031971

It was always an outdated mentality.

>>49031965

He's using action surge to cast his spell so he can get a bonus action attack from War Magic.
>>
>>49031971
It depends on how you approach it. If you don't make arbitrary rulings against the PCs and don't railroad them into an impossible situation, it's a fine approach. It will make people learn how to play.
>>
I think Haste is terrible on anyone but a Paladin. Totally overrated in 5e.
>>
>>49032004
My bad, I thought he was hasting himself.
>>
Would you allow "Extra Attack" to be taken as a Feat or would that end up broken?
>>
do we know what kind of adventure storm kings is? (and curse for that matter too. i'll be playing that in a few weeks so dont spoil anything storywise, id just like to know how the book is structured and how ther game operates)

-tyranny of dragons was very strory driven and linear
-elemental evil was a mega dungeon basicly, very dungeon crawly
-rage of demons was sandboxy and eventbased
>>
>>49032054
If it stacks it would be broken.
>>
>>49032024

It's probably not as great on an EK as a Paladin because they get the divine smite damage but advantage on Dexterity saving throws and +2 AC and double speed and an extra action to disengage and dash with isn't a joke either. Everybody likes those benefits.
>>
>>49032024
It's amazing on an Arcane Trickster. They get the majority of their damage from one attack, so their regular action is left free to cast something useful. Blindness is no concentration if the AT is concentrating on his own Haste.

>>49032054
It would be too strong on certain clerics and all rogues. Borderline for lore bards. The other classes that don't already get it don't have a reason to take it.
>>
So whats the best way to make an animu bullshit ninja?
Seems like Shadow Monk/Rogue (Trickster maybe?)/Warlock 2 for Silent Image at will (Maybe 3 for a pact Katana to unsheath after teleporting behind u)
>>
>>49031988
I think EK+Rogue multiclass is probably a good combo, but I forgot about magical ambush.

Honestly, I might say magical ambush is better than EK's ability since you can hide as a bonus before unleashing hell.

Hold person is probably best used way before the enemy has a turn though, and to allow your allies to all beat up that one enemy before they even have a chance to save.
>>
>>49032054

I don't think it'd be worth implementing in the game.
>>
>>49032127
Monk 6 (shadow) / Rogue X (Assassin)
Go nuts
>>
>>49032154
wrong thread fucko
>>
>>49032165
oh shit my bad
>>
>>49032127

Just go Monk 20; if you take a bunch of other classes you're going to end up A) MAD as fuck because your damage, saving throw DC, and AC are going to suffer B) with less Ki to use your fun features (spellcasting and stunning strike/flurry of blows) and C) Miss out on some truly excellent sneaking features (Greater Invisibility at level 18, all saving throw proficiencies at level 14, etc.)

Acceptable is taking some levels in Rogue.

>>49032131

I think Arcane Trickster is better than Eldritch Knight in general honestly but EK gets some really great features.

Arcane Trickster's spell list just compliments them better and all of their features work really, really well together and have a lot of potential in and out of combat.

The shenanigans you can get into with an invisible mage hand is pretty amazing.
>>
>>49032127
Rogue 2 for expertise in stealth and anime bullshittery.

Warlock 2 for devil's sight and silent image at-will (or disguise-self at will).

Shadow monk to cast darkness and to fuck about in said darkness.

Barbarian so you can be a raging little pussy.

Tarocchi 1: Mao so you can literally play yourself to death and make everybody else at the table weep tears of joy at your death holy shit did you think this would be a good idea, yet alone viable?
>>
>>49032109
I guess. I just compare them to save or sucks and find it lacking. Take Hypnotic Pattern, for example. It almost certainly prevents more damage than the defensive bonuses Haste provides. On anyone but a Paladin the damage increase is pretty mediocre.

>>49032111
I'd argue it's worse for an AT due to Cunning Action.
>>
>>49032219
>>49032127
Actually add to that
>rogue 3 for invisible mage hand for being an immature cunt
>>
>>49032226
Cunning Action has nothing to do with it. The AT can Sneak Attack on the Haste attack and then use a cantrip if nothing else for more damage than most would gain from Haste.
>>
Thinking about use 5th to DM a RPG Log Horizon like, when the characters know they are in a game, trapped there. What you guys think?
>>
>>49032368
>49032368
Log Horiszon doesnt use Vancian magic
>>
>>49030144

Do yourself a favor and go get The Lost Mines of Phandelver. A quick Google search and it's yours. That's the adventure you're going to run.

It's an adventure that will take you from 1 to 5, and it holds your hand tightly and tells you EVERYTHING about how to run it. It's the official "introductory" adventure to 5e and it assumes that you know virtually nothing.

On top of that, it's actually a pretty good adventure. I've run it and we enjoyed it immensely.
>>
>>49030297
I'll agree on the fighter point but I think warlock is fun. Taking a Great Old One as your patron lets you pull all kinds of crazy shit. One of my favorites.
>We need to cross this chasm
>Bridge is guarded by an entire warcamp of baddies
>Decide to cross at different point to get the edge
>Our barbarian, being who he is, tries to leap it but falls a little short
>Lucky day, I'm playing a warlock with Eldrich Blast and Repelling Blast invocation
>Hit barbarian with EB and launch him the rest of the way

Warlocks are great fun
>>
Is spear mastery a good feat?
>>
>>49031608
Congrats, you've created humans.
>>
>>49030050
Bump
>>
So are EKs the worst Gish characters?
>>
>>49032837
no, barbarian is.
>>
>>49032668
Thats the meme.

Though for "humans" you'd likely replace "sneaky" with "Crazy endurance for things like walking compared to other members of their kind", as people aren't much sneakier than many other critters.
>>
>>49029385
I have a Satyr homebrew actually.I just call them Fauns.

http://pastebin.com/8tr5ZBtV
>>
>>49032837
>Ranger is the worst class
>Blade is the worst pact
>land is the worst druid
They're all bad, even if that's mostly comparing locally to other subclasses.
>>
>>49032094
no one?
>>
>>49033295
those statements are necessarily true, we had a shit GM that run Rage of demons, so it was a very linear and railroaded experience. My point is that a module varies from GM to GM
>>
"Your passive perception increases by 1, and you can choose to gain advantage on a perception roll of your choice. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again."

Is this okay for a race feature?
>>
>>49033449
Yeah that sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>49033449
its only useful in a specific situation and isnt actually that powerful, so I dont see why it would be okay
>>
So how would I go about ASIs on a bearbarian using a halberd? PAM > STR to 20 > Sentinel > GWM?
>>
>>49033522
more or less
helps to be a variant human
>>
>>49033449
>WhatDoYourElfEyesSee.racialpower
>>
>>49032589

this.

it's also gives players a lot of freedom to fight, negotiate, and use skills to handle encounters so it never feels railroad-y
>>
Great Weapon Fighting or Dueling fighter?
>>
>>49034011
Do you want a shield?
>>
>>49034035
Not really.
>>
>>49034011
barb fag or fightsman
>>
>>49034060
well you just answered you own question, go GWF
>>
>>49032094
This >>49033378.
In addition, PotA has a lot of the sandbox-like elements that involve visiting dungeons out of order since you're basically only given the general objective of "there's a cult in this area, fix it".
>>
>>49033449
I'd make it a short rest
>>
>>49034079
its right there in the question, fighter
>>
>>49034146
Alright.
This might be a tad too close to furry, but my pals wanted me to make a rabbit-human race.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
>>
>>49034416
I feel like the 40 speed should have some qualifiers. Maybe restricted to light/med armour? Or give them 35 feet like the wood elf, but give them an additional feature allowing dash as a bonus action once per short rest or something.
>>
>>49034145
in the end its always the dm that makes the game not the book, sure, but still they are written in a very very different manner so these distinctions do apply. in rage you can go wherever you like and still always the on the "right" track. the whole system is more event based and you get to actually influence shit. as you travel random encounter happen. while in tyranny its like go here then go there then there then there. im not saying one is better, but what im saying is that they are different. i just wanna know how far as a player i can actually go as in decide where to go and what to do. its pretty easy to break a tyranny campaign if you start questioning questgivers or where you're headed. in rage you might actually be on your way to getting fucked if you dont. it would suck to play a sandbox and not knowingly let the dm take you whereever and it would also suck to play a linear game and constantly be a hassle for the dm because you unknowlingly are trying to break it.
>>
>>49034513
Ah yeah, that makes sense.
I was thinking 40 speed was a little much. Thank you for the ideas.
>>
I am done with D&D. Just got into a fight at my friend's house over shitty DMing. Long story short, a stupid slut kept getting saved by godmoding DM when she should have died over and over. Pissed me off enough I called the retard out on it and he had to escalate the argument until I slapped him.

FUCK WHITE KNIGHTS

FUCK DM SCREENS
>>
File: READ.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
READ.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>49028574
>>
>>49034631
so why are you quitting DnD? Isn't the problem your shitty DM and not the system?
>>
>>49034631
Perhaps you should find a different group yo
>>
>>49029209
>le edgy tiefling paladin
>le chaotic neutral radnom xD
>le retard shortman
those are some really shitty characters toby quiet honestly family
>>
Which class has the highest single target damage over the span of 4 turns?
>>
>>49034968
Realistically, without any outside help or a load of stacking effects a paladin doing divine smites.
>>
>>49024280
When do you think we'll see the order of invisible hand and order of knife for the mystic?
>>
>>49035008
would that be straight Paladin or would you multiclass into fighter for the action surges?
>>
What classes would you like to see brought into 5e?
>>
>>49035082
a Ranger that doesnt suck
>>
>>49035082
an actually relevant soul knife as a fighter/sorcerer/psion archetype
>>
>>49035037
I thought the question was on a class by class basis. If you want raw damage then yeah multiclassing into fighter makes sense.
>>
>>49035111
My mistake, I should have said build instead of class
>>
>>49035082
An Artificer or other spellcaster who specializes in the manufacturing and use of magic items.
>>
>>49035148
Crafting rules in general would be nice
>>
>>49035110
Order of the knife will be part of the Mystic class
That seems to be the order to take if you want to play a soulknife/lurk
>>
>>49035082
Mystic and Rune priest

Also race wise
Githzerai
Wilden
Warforged
>>
>>49035163
There is crafting rules, but they're a bit bland. They seem more like an afterthought than something actually meant to be used.

I've been considering making some homebrews for
>Wild Monk (Survival of the Fittest mindset), Dragon Monk
>Either a subclass or feat for martials with things like cantrip-level techniques and stronger ones with "not spell slots" (depending on if I think I could get a full subclass out of it)
>An Artificer, maybe being based on a Warlock patron instead of a Wizard as Invocations and such seem to be better suited for it
>>
>>49035332
got a page number for the rules?
>>
>>49035163
Here's the stuff I've introduced to my campaign. Some people are introduced in crafting shit and the default rules just don't fit. It seems fine so far, enough that they don't have to break campaign pace too much to make stuff.
>>
>>49035350
It's in the DMG, which I don't have the .pdf for on my phone, but IIRC it's just after the loot tables and before the magic items list.
>>
>>49035518
yeah I found them, they are quite bad really
>>
How many magical secret can a Lore Bard has?

I want my Find Steed's to shoot Melf's Minute Meteor.
>>
>>49035676
Read the fucking book, its right there until bard class features
>>
>>49035693
Shouldn't you go back to 3.5 general? Grumpy old man.
>>
>>49035803
Not that Anon but maybe you should learn to read?

Why come to a forum for a basic rules question?
>>
How's sterling vermin? Im gonna try their gunslinger archetype out in a campaign soon, what am I in for?
>>
File: K KEEP ME POSTED.jpg (41KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
K KEEP ME POSTED.jpg
41KB, 360x360px
keep me posted about that storm king scan will ya?
>>
Any ideas of what not to do if i'm DM'ing for a party of 4 who have 0 experince in TTRPGs?
Things not to do to scare them off?

Should i bother with sound and Minis?
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
>Running Curse of Strahd
>Party is exploring the Amber Temple
>Session starts with the party licking their wounds after a fight with vampire spawn near some sarcophagi
>Paladin who is already on shaky grounds with his god after some prior actions touches one of the sarcophagi
>Offered power from vestige of spooky evil god inside
>He accepts it because he really wants to fuck up Strahd
>Gets giant skeleton wings
>His Holy Symbol shatters into pieces
>He now has to consume bones or grave dirt daily or he dies
>Literally the first thing that happened in the session was a Paladin falling
>His response is 'how was I supposed to know?'
>He'd been using Paladin Divine Sense and noted that the entire temple reeks of evil
>A disembodied voice in a coffin speaks to his brain and offers him power
>How was he supposed to know it was evil
>mfw
>>
>>49036175
>Should i bother with sound and Minis?

Yes. If they've never played before then using minis for battlemaps at least will help them get the hang of how the combat works.
Sound will also help them get into it. Make it as interesting as possible so they don't get bored.
>>
>>49036175
not everyone likes playing with minis so idk about that but definitly go for ambient sounds. it can only make the game better.
>>
>>49036230
some people just won't notice a naked man till he slaps them across the face with his dick
>>
So one of the groups I'm in just rescheduled to like 30 mins before another group I'm in

I like the group that rescheduled alot more, but the other groups been schedueled to play for like two weeks

am I a shitty person if I ditch the scheduled group for the rescheduled group? the scheduled group has like eight fucking players so I doubt they'd even notice I was gone
>>
>>49036175
you should absolutely use minis and a battle grid

will make the game seem more gamey/boardgamey which is great for easing in newbs plus providing a visual representation of stuff is fantastic

for my friends I started off with lego, using minifigs for their characters and enemies and building houses and stuff. It worked great, transitioned to tokens and a battle map pretty smoothly

battle music is a necessity

as for keeping them interested/not scaring them, just focus on fun. chances are they don't give a fuck about your RP or plot and just want to kill monsters and shit.

be really descriptive and be light on the rules
>>
>>49025072

Sick, man. Really appreciate the d&d community of /tg/, always sharing great and helpful stuff
>>
>>49036230
Did this seriously happen?
If it did then the logical conclusion is he hoped you were some dickless GM who doesn't hand out consequences because of player choices and instead does silly stuff like post on /tg/ asking half-hearted questions like "what should I do"?

Personally I applaud you for giving him the logical consequences of his choices rather then farting about and waiting until you had a "second opinion"; it shows you are able to be decisive when need be as a GM when presented with a situation like that should.
>>
>>49036087
Fucking relax.
I'm sure the thread that ends up having the scan will almost literally start with "Storm King Scan Edition" and the thread will be literally non-stop discussion of the book with only brief pauses to advise new players or GM's who find their way on here.
>>
File: Capture.png (83KB, 321x104px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
83KB, 321x104px
Now maybe I'm reading this wrong, but "Ability Checks" includes things like "Stealth" and not just STR, DEX, etc. right?

Because if so Rogue might be a good choice for the "Skilled" feat.
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>49036614
This.
Chillax and make some character concepts, or shit on <5ed, in the meanwhile.
>>
>>49036599
>Did this seriously happen?

Yes, it happened last night.
He's dealing with it though, he spent some time while the party were sleeping to carve the flesh off of the bodies of mountain-men berserkers they had fought earlier, and is now carrying roughly 20 pounds of human bones in his pack. Secretly.

I'm sure the party won't notice him literally eating bones.
>>
>>49036008
Follow up, has anyone tried their other stuff?
>>
File: 1462405491098.gif (696KB, 169x129px) Image search: [Google]
1462405491098.gif
696KB, 169x129px
>>49036478

Nah, just lay the facts on the table and tell them that your other game rescheduled and that you feel that a smaller group will work better for you.
>>
>>49036623
Yes, it's skills that you are proficient in.

Rogue is probably the best skill monkey in 5e.
>>
Help, I'm indecisive.

About to hit 4 as a Rogue. Do I get
>ASI (Have 18 dex, could bump to 20)
>Sharpshooter
>Crossbow Expert
>Skulker
>Dual Wielder
>Something else?
>>49036698
Ah cool, I'll probably take Skilled at 10 then.
>>
>>49036668
Man, unless he had a good personal reason for that beyond "edgy motherfucker still going through puberty in his late 20's" I'd be tempted to cause him to fall right then simply because he's defiling a corpse without knowing how the mountain barbarians want their dead treated.
>>
>>49036790
He already fell when he dealt with an evil dead god for power. His god was already kind of mad at him and after that just said 'Nope, fuck off.'
That's why his holy symbol shattered.
>>
>>49036787
I'd go with the dex increase. It ups your AC, attack/damage rolls, arguably the best save stat, and skill checks like stealth. Probably more benefits than any feat could provide.
>>
>>49036804
Yeah, I saw that after I sent it.
It's late and my reading comprehension has clearly deteriorated.
>>
>>49036804
send angels at him!!
>>
booming blade seems like an auto pick for an AT, right?
it's a huge damage boost
can you use twf with it?
>>
File: 1446619309778.jpg (813KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1446619309778.jpg
813KB, 2480x3508px
Anyone got a homebrew beefed up version of a displacer beast or similar monster?
>>
>>49037304
>>49037304
>>49037304
>>49037304
newn
>>
>>49037165
Booming Blade is part of the Cast a Spell option. Some effects make you attack but only the capital A Attack action lets you use Two Weapon Fighting.

No, they don't work together because casting Booming Blade isn't the right action trigger to gain the bonus action attack.
>>
>>49032293
Correct use of Haste on a Rogue is to attack with the haste attack and use a Ready action to attack outside your turn, thereby getting Sneak Attack twice.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.