[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/tg/ is full of weebs >never any anima threads Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 231457.jpg (122KB, 604x800px) Image search: [Google]
231457.jpg
122KB, 604x800px
>/tg/ is full of weebs
>never any anima threads

Why?
>>
>>49022407
Used to be a semi-regular general thread.

Anima is intimidating for newcomers because of its sheer size and the options available. It has GURPS syndrome - at its core it's a relatively simple game, but the simplicity is hidden by a mountain of options, exceptions, alternate rules, and setting details.
>>
Anima is pretty cool. And people interested in it might like Luminous Echo, a setting book currently on kickstarter by Anima's lead artist, Wen-M.

They're actually voting on which systems they'll include stats for at the moment, and a push for Anima would be really cool.
>>
I'm actually getting into anima recently, I don't quite understand two things about psychic powers and CP advantages related to it

Do I need to take the "can use one/any discipline" advantages to use powers and THEN spend PP, like how with magic you need the gift and then spend magic levels? The segment on psychic powers doesn't specifically say like it does for magic

The advantage "natural psychic power" seems kind of worthless, you can't maintain any powers and if you use it more than once per minute you take fatigue damage. I wanted a character that had the create energy objects power so they could always have a weapon on them, but if I can't maintain it then it only lasts one round which means I have to take a penalty for multiple actions in a turn to summon it and then attack. I hear this game has a bunch of spanish only errata, is there anything about this or is it really just a trap option?
>>
>>49022407
I see it mentioned favorably fairly often, but you're right that threads dedicated to it have dried up.

But hey, we have this thread right now.

I've never played or read Anima. I'm aware that it's made for high-flying fantasy action in vein of Japanese works, but that's about it.
What's the core mechanics like?
What are the steps to character creation?

And what's the most fun you've ever had with the game?
>>
>>49022701

I had a recent session that ended with the whole group falling over laughing.

This is an account of it I wrote for a few friends shortly after the session itself-

>The session started with having to reintroduce the character of a player who missed a few sessions, who was outside the zombie infested town we were working our way through. The session started off strong where, instead of climbing over the wall as we had done, he blew a hole in it, cutting a swathe of destruction through the town and setting part of it on fire.
>After a few less interesting events, including my lucha-catgirl acquiring a giant silver cross as a weapon and wiping out an entire group of enemies by throwing it at them, we finally decide to infiltrate the dark and scary mansion. I wanted to go through the door, but said wall-exploder from before likes the idea of a shock and awe entry, so he charges up the same attack he used to take down the wall.
[>And then gets an open roll. And another one. And another one. That is, exploding dice in a d100 system. Where most of our attack results at the moment are in the 100-200 range, he was around five hundred and fifty. The GM desperately pointed out he couldn't use the result due to Anima having numerical caps for results... Until we realized the guy had forgotten to spend a lot of Martial Knowledge, and that he had *exactly* enough to buy all the way up to Zen, which removes all caps.
>>
>>49022797

>The GM figured out the final damage, somewhere in the region of 1800. And then looked at the consequences tables as he tried to figure out what the *fuck* just happened.
>The end result? Not just 'What Mansion'. What *town*. We'd been sketching the map on a whiteboard. The GM erased about two thirds of the entire thing and replaced it with an enormous fucking crater, informing us that we had just wiped out all but one stage of his final boss fight, all his planned plot, and basically *everything*.
>The only reason the collateral damage didn't TPK the group was the GM not wanting the game to end there and then, and we were all a mix of shellshocked and laughing hysterically at that point.
>On the less funy side, turned out he'd accidentally killed the hundred or so innocents collected by the cults to be sacrifices, and all the loot we were going to get. The GM gave him bonus XP and a fair chunk of Elan with the Shajad of pointless destruction.
>In character, it kind of ruined everything, but just... It's one of those moments I am going to remember for years.
>The sight of his dejected expression as he showed us the dozen or so pages of boss fight notes that we obliterated in a single moment.
>>
>>49022701
main mechanic is 1d100 + bonus/malus

character gen is all point buy and you have tons of freedom. The only limits are that you can't put more than half your total points into main combat abilities and you can't put more than 1/10th your points into boosting stats like HP or mana. The game has classes but they mostly just determine how much it costs to level up stuff and give you bonus points to specific areas.

Game has a bunch of different spell systems, which sounds like a clusterfuck (and it kinda is) but generally they mesh well, especially since you can dip between groups in various ways.

Combat is fun because instead of just being "it's now my turn to do things" it has this somewhat weird system where it assumes everyone is acting at the same time.

It completely goes away from a static "you get +5 exp for doing this" system and makes that entire GM based. This means that despite it's reputation as some kind of naruto AMV simulator (which it very much can be) you get just as much exp for solving problems in non-combat ways with the main thing being how challenging the GM thinks it was.

In short, if you like a game that lets you have lots of freedom to make a concept, enjoy fast and pretty lethal combat, don't go into a fit when martials do things besides roll to swing sword (although you can do that too) and are okay with reading up on fan translated errata because the english books are lacking some helpful clarifying info then it's a pretty cool system.
>>
>>49022956

The one weird thing about character generation and development is the multiple currencies.

Everyone has Development Points, Characteristic Points, which can be spent directly on somethings or converted at various rates of exchange into Psychic Points, Magic Levels and Martial Knowledge, which in turn can be spent on Psychic, Magic or Ki abilities.

And of course they all work differently. Psychic Points are the weirdest, since they're both a permanently expended chargen currency and a temporary resource you can spend to boost rolls, so spending it all can be a bad idea since you don't have any floating points to play with.
>>
>>49022956
How does it scale? Because by the sounds of things it can be up my ally, but not necessarily if it's constrained to "suddenly he goes supersayan and blows up the town"-tier stuff like >>49022817 experienced.
As fun as that sounds, it's limiting in its own way.

Also, have links to any of that errata?
>>
>>49022956
I should clarify that when I say "you can't put more than half your total points into main combat abilities" I mean "I can't put all my points into attack bonus and nothing else"

>>49023057
Generally it scales quite well. While it does have this system where if you keep rolling 1d100 really high you just get to keep going and can get outrageous numbers, that generally doesn't matter because of how things cap

In the case of the other guys story, you can't be goku unless you get the ability to be "inhuman" and then later "zen". This isn't something that you're supposed to be able to just suddenly get while in the middle of rolling for a move, both because the game has lots of stuff saying "the GM can make you actively spend time showing that you're learning the new stuff you buy" and also beacuse being able to afford that kind of power up is not something you can do for many levels (but they had fun so whatever)

It's very possible to play characters that aren't ridiculous, properly building up to goku level is possible but it takes a while. Also, the system has lots of "the GM can just say "no you can't take that advantage" clauses written into it so you can outright remove the characters ability to ever get to goku level and still do fine, without even feeling like you've hit a level cap (because even if you can't hit the higher parts of the tables that require goku-ness, you can still roll that high for the sake of beating other rolls or passing DC, and non-goku levels can still get pretty impressive)

I'm kinda ranting here but the TLDR is "no, you don't have to blow up the planet"

As for the errata, here

Core book + magic system changes (that are refereed to in the specific magic book)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D-d140bAiY7WkaoaBV2jj6H9nL8nQnoZ2ZMVDW41Duw/edit?pli=1

Prometheum (list of magic items) book errata
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/85609-prometheum-exxet-errata/

Don't know if there's more.
>>
Why would weebs care about a shitty Spanish game?
>>
Something worth pointing out about anima is that it violates one of the fundamental premises of tabletop games. It has linear WIZARDS and quadratic warriors if you use the ki abilities

Both are plenty strong though, and psychics can give them a run for their money because they just get to use their powers whenever and wherever they want, leading to stuff like being able to cast 8 attack powers in one action
>>
File: PSIV.jpg (164KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
PSIV.jpg
164KB, 640x448px
>>49023272
Well, in that case it sounds pretty great. I'll track down a PDF and give it a thorough once-over, maybe make a few characters, and see how it strikes me. By the sounds of things it'd be ideal for a Phantasy Star campaign, or any other sort of JRPG setting.
>>
>>49022407
Because we're weebs with standards.

pfft-hahaha! Okay, I couldn't keep a straight face there...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.