[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /tg/, I got inspired this afternoon to make a rules-light

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: New Project.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
New Project.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hello /tg/,

I got inspired this afternoon to make a rules-light game that is heavily inspired in TTRPGs, dark souls, the binding of isaac and nuclear throne.
I know it sounds pretentious and even cringe worthy, but maybe i could have fun playing it with my friends. Would you care to read the rules and give suggestions (and your honest opinion)? Could it be fun?
Its really unfinished, just a sketch, but the essence of the game is explained. The items list is the core of the game and it needs to be heavily improved.
Also, english isn't my main language, so you will probably find some mistakes.
>>
>>49005551
Is it really only three pages or did you upload a draft?
>>
>>49005609
Only three pages so far. It is supposed to be rules-light and i started the project about 4 hours ago. I want to see if it has any potential before i move on.
>>
>>49005635
I really don't want to be rude, but so far there really isn't much of a system here to judge. It just seems to be, roll a dice under a number to do stuff.

It doesn't really say how you arrive at those numbers or give examples. There are items, but without a baseline game to see, the effect the items have is kinda meaningless.

Things in the text don't seem to flow, like the tarot card comes out of nowhere. Players can rest at bonfires sure, but what do they do when they aren't resting at bonfires. We need a whole lot more than this.
>>
>>49005551
Yeah, that's cringeworth, though kudos for at least trying.

That's not a game or a system, OP, that's a very short and loose description of Dark Souls. You need much more than that. Some tips:

>Who are you writing for, the players or the GM?
>Don't make a d20 heartbreaker.
>Explain the game mechanics first; describe the world in detail later.
>Magic, monsters and spells in the middle.
>Equipment next.
>Advice on how to play goes last.

Also, why are you making a new system when there are already 50 bazillion rules-light systems out there that could easily be fluffed for Dark Souls/video game of the month?
>>
>>49005697
Yes i know that. I really want to give almost zero rules and let the players play as they want it. Like if they were kids. But i understand that is pretty hard to do that.

>>49005733
Thanks for answering. The concept of the game is to be something different than a rpg. The ideia here is just to solve problems using random tools and a little fine tuning (with perks). I want to play a dungeon crawler that is built with puzzles in mind. Every creature and everything has to be planned so that they offer real creative challenges. Also, i want to build synergy between items so that they work in a lot of unexpected ways.

Does that makes sense?
>>
>>49005833
It almost sounds like you don't even need a system. Just a few handouts describing tools, a few dice on the table that you as the DM decide if it works or not, and a decent group.

Basically minds eye theatre with a few props.

One pitfall I'd say is that given absolute freedom, some players just get...silly.
>>
>>49005932
Yes i know. I think that the items and perks list are the most important.

But do you think it can work? More importantly, can it be fun?
>>
>>49005833
Sounds like you want to design a video game using paper and pencils. That won't work. The lack of structure will create endless misinterpretations and arguments about what does and doesn't work, who wins, what affects what, etc. You need rules. Freeform will just result in silliness. Even diceless games like Amber have some very strict rules.

BTW, there's a Dark Souls RPG thread here:

>>48905961
>>
>>49005966
Absolutely. With the right group it can workman's be a lot of fun. What you need tonrealise is that ypoure basically just boiling down the GM/PLAYER thing to its base. You have a story, they play through it, you decided how their tasks are resolved, fudging based on dice rolls. Just don't tell them its totally arbitrary.

If you have run games before, it'll be easy enough. But it does tend to require practice and experience.
>>
>>49005977
No amount of rules will matter if your players have the wrong mindset.

Arguments and silliness only result when ypour players aren't willing to work for group cohesion. That's true from total freeform to GURPS.
>>
>>49005551
>I got inspired this afternoon to make a rules-light game that is heavily inspired in TTRPGs, dark souls, the binding of isaac and nuclear throne.
>I made a ttrpg inspired by ttrpgs
Yes? That's good?
>>
>>49005551
Classic babby's first.

Pretty random.

Suggestion: Think up a setting, then find an RPG that fits the table dynamic you want for it. If it doesn't exist, make it.

As for your game, look at Ryutama and Golden Sky Stories. Make sure you're not trying to reinvent the wheel.

And the state of things... I appreciate your enthusiasm. Let's keep it at that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.