[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pendragon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Purndurgun.jpg (25KB, 225x297px) Image search: [Google]
Purndurgun.jpg
25KB, 225x297px
Anyone on /tg ever ran or played a Pendragon game? How does it shape up compare to Dark Heresy and 5e d&d?
>>
>>48991479
Character creation is a tedious pain, but the family history you get out of it is perfect for writing up.
>>
>>48992068
What he said.

It also plays very well once you get past creation. The mechanics are smooth and fairly simple, if a touch fiddly at times and all work together to promote the feel of Aurthurian fantasy. That said, however, I personally prefer their other Aurthurian game, Prince Valiant. Very simple narrative system that actually works quite well for both shorter and longer games. You can find scans of it online, and they're coming out with a new version in January. It's worth checking out if you like the genre.
>>
>>48995203
>I personally prefer their other Aurthurian game, Prince Valiant

Brother?
>>
>>48991479
Very good game, captures the extremes of Arthurian fantasy quite well and I love the dynastical element to it.

It is very different to DH and 5e, you should only run Pendragon if Arthurian fantasy interests you imo, as a player you can come into the game and enjoy it regardless but I feel to DM it you need to enjoy that type of myth/legend/setting.
>>
>>48995203
>>48997963

What does it do to capture that feel?
>>
>>48997972
Mostly the personality traits and passions.

The traits are essentially dichotomies of character traits that your player as points in. For example, Chaste/Lustful, Trusting/Suspicious, Just/Arbitrary, etc. These define your characters morals and the DM will have players roll against their personality traits at times and this will force the player to act a certain way. An example would be a knight with 16 Lustful vs 4 Chaste encountering a naked young maid bathing by the stream and the player saying "I avert my eyes and walk past", the DM will straight away say "Well, roll against your chaste" and if they fail they will ogle or make a comment or w/e. These traits give characters those defining virtues and flaws that you see in Arthurian characters.

In addition you have passions, these are things that your knight is so passionate about that you can call on them to help you in situations. Maybe your passion is Loyalty to your Lord? Well if someone insults your lord and draws their sword then you could roll passion and be vastly vastly more powerful in that moment which again reflects the Arthurian style of great power coming from a heroes passions. The passions can also send a player mad which is typical Arthurian style madness of "Run into the woods and bathe in dirt" type stuff.

Also Dynasty management, playing as children and gaining land. Wives, courting, etc.

Also, there is a stat for "Saxon hate" if that doesn't sell this game I don't know what will
>>
>>48998069
>Also, there is a stat for "Saxon hate" if that doesn't sell this game I don't know what will

This IS a stat I appreciate in games.

Is it actually possible to play a galahad sort or is his purity beyond the standards of the game?
>>
>>49000478
Probably, but it would be very difficult.
>>
>>49000502

I figured. He's rather an anomaly.

Easier to manage lancelot and fuck everything up forever due to your passions?
>>
>>49000518
>fuck everything up forever due to your passions
This should be the game's tagline
>>
>>48991479

Pendragon is amazing, it can take a while for players to get into the idea that they're roleplaying a dynasty rather than just one goy but when they do you get some epic gaming and deep motivations. It's very setting focussed, but it can be refluffed and would actually work quite well for Warhammer 40k, especially wrt the personality matrix that's tied to religions, perfect for representing the kind of warped attitudes of Chaos cultists.
>>
How hard will it be to find people playing it? I'm really enjoying reading the books
>>
>>49000518

Yes, set all your virtues to 20 and rp Galahad. You won't fail virtue rolls so long as you behave appropriately, but you might become an insufferable asshole.

Incidentally, what are the virtues for the Imperial Cult? Energetic, Vengeful, Honest, Just, Valorous?
>>
>>49000678

People already playing it? Impossible. A group who will enjoy playing it once you force them to try it? Much more doable.
>>
>>49000687

Khrone: Valorous, Reckless, Arbitrary, Vengeful, Energetic
Slanesh: Indulgent, Proud, Cruel, Lustful, Energetic
Nurgle: Lazy, Generous, Arbitrary, Temperate, Worldly
Tzeench: Energetic, Selfish, Deceitful, Prudent, Suspicious
Gork and Mork / WAAAGHism: Vengeful, Just, Cruel, Proud, Reckless, Valorous
>>
>>48991479

I like it - Pendragon is the perfect game for doing one thing: Playing as knights. If you're not, however, shit gets weird fast. (For instance, the game's not balanced for magicians at all, who are useless, but that's only to be expected.)

A problem is that the Great Pendragon Campaign is COMPLETELY scripted. The players can't really do anything to affect it. A lot of the stuff there is 'the players show up to watch'.
>>
>>49001741
That's true. Luckily there are a bunch of adventures to do
>>
>>49000687

>Yes, set all your virtues to 20 and rp Galahad.

Can you do that? I don't have much experience with how the virtues work.
>>
>>49003327
I think you can have at least all virtues at 15/16 at the character creation. Then playing the game they can increase
>>
>>49003327
>>49003627

It's down to the GM and how well you sell it. You can begin with personality traits of any value if you have a good enough reason for it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.