[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Times the GM had your back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1449258836472.jpg (311KB, 700x960px) Image search: [Google]
1449258836472.jpg
311KB, 700x960px
/tg/ talks shit about GMs all the time, post those times the GM was a bro.
>playing rpgs for the first time in a decade
>3.5, because my friends played it
>rolled up a human paladin
>3.5, paladin, new player, yeah, it was bad
>had a sporting time of it
>played the pc as a hyper idealized version of myself, baby steps
>tried my damndest to just be a good person, would donate money to orphanages and all that shit, help out anyone I could, gave money and loot to the party if I thought they needed it or needed a couple hundred gold for better gear
>mechanically suffered as a result, but eh, no one said it was an easy road, right?
>party was varied, mostly neutral types, 1 CG
>players would crack jokes at my expense IC/OOC, paladin falls shit, bust my chops about being a wet blanket/doormat/bottom bitch, especially the cleric player
>suck it up, just the bantz, even if tiresome
>DM notices I'm struggling, helps me out with some post chargen optimizing, take some alternative class features from different books
>puts some gear in the loot expressly for me, best one is a +3 spear when no one else uses polearms
>something good about it, but can't figure out what, resists enchantments or any kind of scanning
>figure it's some plot to fuck me over because the entire group whispers it is, but hey, DM is making a story, so roll with it
>getting to higher levels, party eclipses me entirely, feel sorta useless outside emergency lay on hands and minor buffs, but still having fun being a man of the people
>>
File: 1460590798864.jpg (1MB, 800x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1460590798864.jpg
1MB, 800x1284px
>>48988950
>DM pulls me aside one day
>"Hey, anon, you are really falling off when it comes to gear and gold. I can't keep trying to tilt things to offset it for you, so why do you keep doing it?"
>"Just what I see the pc doing, DManon. Sorta sucks, but paladin, y'know?"
>DM gives me a long look, walks away
>next day, DM comes up to me, opens a book, shows me a template called Saint
>"Anon, I'm giving this to you."
>"No way, DManon, this is overpowered as hell, and I don't have the prereqs it says in the book."
>"I say you do, and now you have it."
>"But LA sucks, the group says so."
>"Screw it."
>think about it
>Accept it, but tell DM I don't want to use it yet, don't want to hear people say the DM is favoring me (more than they already do)
>game goes on
>cleric becomes an... issue
>apparently has gone bone knight, starts acting like a twat
>IC, pull him aside and ask him to tone it down, we are the good guys, right
>get an OOC sneer
>whatever
>repeat this conversation a few times, get blown off
>cleric finally crosses the line raising a shitton of shadows (or something like that) in a city, massacre ensues
>call him out, you've gone too far, maximum justice speech, tell him he's being brought in to answer for his shit
>get my ass whupped soundly, party refuses to intervene
>DM calls 5 minute break, passes me a card
>time for the final form
>redo my math, get ready for hell and high water
>games starts back up, cleric is walking away
>stand up, tell him to pause
>DM describes my transformation into an angel
>table goes berserk
>DM rules my apotheosis restores all my hp and ends all debuffs on me
>table flip incoming
>>
this is some climax
>>
File: 1440901888694.jpg (566KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1440901888694.jpg
566KB, 1200x1200px
>>48989191
>DM tells me the +3 spear is actually a holy avenger triggered by my ascension
>Damn, DManon, is it enough
>proceed to open up a can on the cleric, a 30 minute battle against what I now know to be an optimized battle cleric with persisted buffs
>but that didn't matter because spellbreaker smite
>apparently it is enough
>cleric tries to flee, grapple him, bludgeon him unconscious, tie him up soundly
>turn to party, tell them the cleric is being taken to face justice, any complaints?
>get nothing but muted looks, some glares
>cleric is taken to a local seat of goverment and "disposed of"
>find out after the game that the entire group was in on it
>Everyone agreed that I deserved the busted template, cleric player agreed to go all out, and if he lost, then bring in a new character
>my worries of butthurt and bad blood entirely unfounded
>afterwards, surrender the template, go back to being regular not that powerful joe among demigods
>DM asks me how the game went
>"Pretty good, DManon, pretty good. You set me up for how long?"
>"Eh, 4 months, about, anon."
>passes me a card that says "This isn't even my final form"
>tells me I can play it when it matters
>never did
>still have the card in my binder of past characters, signed by the entire group
>best time with pnp I have had yet
So, yeah, give love to the GMs who look out.
>>
>>48989375
That's about the best ending possible
>>
File: 1462743163445.jpg (314KB, 1052x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462743163445.jpg
314KB, 1052x800px
>>48988950
>>48989191
>>48989375
Mate, the entire group had your back. Good story.
>>
>>48989375
>"Just what I see the pc doing, DManon. Sorta sucks, but paladin, y'know?"
>DM gives me a long look, walks away
>next day, DM comes up to me, opens a book, shows me a template called Saint
>"Anon, I'm giving this to you."

Fuck that was pretty good. Made me feel things.
>>
>>48988950
I'm in a Curse of Strahd game and my paladin got offed by some ghouls in Death House.
So I roll up a Cleric to replace him, and I get completely fucking stumped on backstory.
Like, I had the other guy's backstory hammered out in a day, but I, literally, could not think of anything creative for her backstory.
So I decided to give her amnesia and half-ass it. But that didn't sit right with me, so I asked the DM if she could actually be a re-incarnated Barovian.
Thank God, he said yes, so now I have an excuse to talk about stuff I have no right to and provide a use to the party that way while I wait to level up and become helpful.
Actually kinda worried and excited to see if she turns out to be a reincarnation of a named character.
>>
>>48988950
>playing pathfinder
>GM lets friend who has DMed shit tons of games and loads of different systems sit in on the session
>be a robot
>be fighting in a fight club
>GMs friend asks if my character is a construct or have organic parts
>say mostly construct
>semi-final round of fight club, low HP
>try to roll to heal myself
>GMs friend raises hell saying I cant because I'm a construct
>sit there for a few minutes arguing
>GM lets me heal myself
>Friend stops talking

I fucking won the fight, got a laser gun that I got implanted into my shoulder from the slain champion, and the grappling hook I had stuck into my arm was free.
>>
>>48989375
Agree with >>48991476 absolutely.
Really inspired by this, makes me want to consider implementing something like this in a game I'm currently DMing where I have two new players both playing opposite kinds of ranger but it's obvious even from session one that ranger A researches a lot for the hobby and ranger B doesn't understand the utility of a pet nor how much freedom can happen in what they can do.
>>
Star Wars D6. Darkside Campaign. Started playing directly after getting back from RoTS. Initially just me and another player, soon afterwards we get 3 more PCs. I begin writing notes to the GM as I make my preparations for their impending betrayal. The lot of them all focus on improving their Force Powers and lightsaber skills. I focus on things like Tactics, Brawling, Sith Alchemy.

Spent a lot of time studying the Mandalorian techniques for dealing with Jedi and Force users in general. Over a brief amount of time I let the more aggressive members take the lead in fights while I sit back and focus on mild things like Battlemind and Healing abilities. Keeping my full abilities a secret and letting them believe I was weaker. Though I was still the one in charge. Eventually they turned on me.

I had long since set up a nice little Villa, nothing as ostentatious as a Tower or a Palace as others had done. Though my 'throne' room had a very lovely pillar in it, nice black obsidian. And infused with the darkside to where one could negate the use of the Force within a very large radius. The other PCs hadn't been aware of this, they weren't aware that my unarmed fighting skill was high enough to rate me as one of the best in the galaxy. They also did not like the Ion Grenades that disabled their lightsabers when they came for me. Every last one of them was screaming and yelling the whole time, GM just kept explaining and pulling out the signed documents (something we did or thigns done in the background to prevent this sort of arguing) that showed I had set all of this long before they dropped their balls.

Stripped of the Force and their only weapons they knew how to use the fight was fairly quick. Game tragically dissolved immediately following the resolution of combat.

TLDR: assumed the other PCs in a Sith game were going to fuck me over and planned accordingly ahead of schedule and made sure the GM knew of it and signed off on it.
>>
>>48988950

> Another guy is making a VTM Malkavian with the GM.
> GM knows I hate people playing Schizophrenic characters, multiple personality cliches, and psychopaths because seemingly no one can do it without it being randumb or cringey as fuck.
> When the player shows interest in playing a multiple personalities the GM politely interrupts.
> "It'd be interesting, but I'd be worried that it'd be really difficult to roleplay and could end up being disruptive."
> The other player looks to other options, and eventually settles on a Toreador.
> The only reason he didn't go Toreador originally is because I was already playing one (He's joining the game midway), despite me repeatedly saying "Play one! I don't care."

Thanks GM-Bro. I try not to be too much of an arsehole with my many many tabletop prejudices, but I completely lose interest when the party is made up of cliched mental disorders being played for laughs, increased edge, or as randumb.
>>
>>48999251

Always a shame. Especially since the best way to un-nerve people is to play something much more subtle and much more real.

One of my favorite former characters was a Malk who had moderate-to-severe OCD (I have mild-to-moderate.)

90% of the time completely normal. Occasional bursts of irrational obsession with no outward change (no raised voice or violence, wasn't his way) except for a handful of physical tics and habits that indicated his stress level was rising and thus prone to picking up a new obsession. At one point a character entered the room, saw how my hand was resting on a table, and left without saying a word.

That is the only time I've ever had a group both thank me for my existing character and ask me to re-roll at the same time, and I consider that one of my crowning achievements. My next character was a Nos kneebreaker who had no use for any sort of deception.
>>
>>48999251
What is it about new players always wanting to play schizophrenic, edgy, evil, or retarded characters?
It's never interesting, original, or something that makes for a fun gameplay experience unless it's played by a more experienced player.
>>
>>48999750

New players want to get the classics out of their system when they start off. That's why they always go for the same archetypes everyone else already did once
>>
>>48999750
it's largely because new players tend to be younger and as a result most of the stories they've been exposed to have more traditionally good and capable heroes, when told they can create their own stories they start by doing things they've not seen as commonly by playing either amoral characters or ones with serious issues. Of course after a while you begin to realise that there's a reason for why the usual is commonly done and that execution matters more than concept so it goes away. In short making an insane or edgy character is a stage that most people who come into roleplaying relatively young will do and the important part is that they get to see what happens when a character is like that so they can move past that stage
>>
>>48999833
I see the same problems with new players who are well into their twenties.
>>
>>48999859
>>48999833
In my opinion age (or rather, maturity - but that is in big part usually dependant on one's age) does matter the most in player's preference for type of roleplay they want to go with but I also think a lot of it is also ambition. Many people view themselves as potentially good roleplayers, they want to make ambitious, complex characters - it's just most of them fail at it while good players learn that even an archetype, if one is really a good roleplayer and shows enough common sense - can be roleplayed well.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.