[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 369
Thread images: 40

Ancient Magic Edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous Session
>>48976348
>>
first for bladelocks are dabes
>>
>>48987535
That is one cranky-looking spell-caster.
>>
File: im sad.jpg (116KB, 372x877px) Image search: [Google]
im sad.jpg
116KB, 372x877px
Chris Perkins back in 2015:

"Cloak -- ... they were going up into the icy mountains, and this temple under a mountain that's basically become a repository of evil. There was this sect of good-aligned wizards and paladins who were keeping this temple, and all of the evil within it, trapped there, to keep the world from going, you know, crazy. Keep the world safe. But that was 400, 500 years ago. What's in there enow? Well, maybe the wizards have all died off. Maybe they sort of succumbed to the evil there. Who knows? But it's an interesting story, and that's a piece, or a fragment, of a story that is going to be important in the future." - Curse of Strahd

"Dagger -- Dagger is a story in which you're going around and pillaging the ancestral mounds of barbarian tribes. And that has a slightly different feel, don't you think? It feels a bit more pulpy, and oh, you're got an airship! Great! " - Storm King's Thunder

Eberron deconfirmed.
>>
Asking again, I assume the Lich in the Amber Temple is something to run away from very, very fast?
>>
>>48987644
Unless your party is badass enough and well-equipped enough, yes, liches are fairly bad news.
>>
>>48987535
Trying to come up with a bunch of weapon and tool feats, as well as update the extant ones. What does /tg/ think?
>>
>>48987644
If you're going to come to /5eg/ to ask for spoilers you might as well just read the module.
>>
So there was an anon talking about how - in his opinion - shitty the gish classes are in 5e, and was looking/talking about wanting something that let you cast spells through your weapon and/or modify the damage it can do, similar to the Paladin Smite effect.

I don't agree with his first statement (I think the gish archetypes work quite well in 5e), but I do remember a different anon making a port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 to 5e rules, which is probably what this anon was looking for. So, here it is.
>>
>>48987644
Exethanter is a friend.
>>
Been wanting to play a less human/mundane/regular race in DnD. But my DM is probably not gonna like that. Anyone have any recommendations for convincing him? or ways to build a monster-ish character that won't ruffle his feathers?
>>
>>48987792
Go with the PHB options. Play a half-orc who is more orc than human, a tiefling that is more fiend than human. Or just play a gnome, the most monstrous of all.
>>
>>48987685
this
>>
>>48987675
why do these feats give proficiency with a weapon they claim you have "mastered"? Wouldn't it make sense for someone who masters a specific weapon to already have proficiency? I mean...i would say it would be a requirement for the feat to already have proficiency.
>>
>>48987667

Yea that's what I figured thank you. We're only level 7-8 (party of 7 though) so I figure we oughta steer clear.

>>48987685

I've never fought a lich in any edition was curious if this one was as Bad a time as I'd heard liches were. Our characters have been warned about its presence and I don't know anything beyond that it's a lich.
>>
>>48987792
It's really interesting to see DMs that don't want non-mundanes in a player party.
I think that it can be really fun to see the party dichotomy get shaken up due to a monster PC.
>>
>>48987609

it's okay buddy, we'll make our own adventures together in Eberron
>>
>>48987675

>Crossbow Expert gives +1 dex

I fucking wish. That'd be just the buff my human crossbowman needs to not be total shit.
>>
File: im so happy i peed a little.png (1MB, 1024x1031px) Image search: [Google]
im so happy i peed a little.png
1MB, 1024x1031px
>>48987891
I am right now, actually. I asked my CoS party what they wanted to do after, gave them some options, and the lot of them jumped on Eberron after I described it a bit.

Pic related how I was when everyone agreed to it.
>>
>>48987867
i think the assumption is the player will want to play a "monster" for mechanical benefits and will refuse to accept roleplaying consequences.

But I want it for the roleplaying. I'd love to roleplay a monster trying to prove itself to the people of the land that he's noble and kind and worth being friends with. It seems like such a fun challenge. Or maybe a monster whose got a Pinocchio complex and wants to be human, so it disguises itself to live among them.

To me it seems odd to not have a monster in the party. Alot of popular JRPGs from the 90s have a "Monster" in the party. FF7 and Chrono Trigger had 2 each.

>>48987800
thanks, thats probably the best course of action. He sent us a list of races that exist in the world. Well see what happens at session 0 on tuesday.
>>
>>48987675
Maybe it would make the more useful ones too good but I think the tool feats should just give double proficiency.
>>
>>48987858
>Yea that's what I figured thank you. We're only level 7-8 (party of 7 though) so I figure we oughta steer clear.

Seven 7th thru 8th level characters?
I dunno, depending on your guy's build you might actually be able to kill it, usually the assumption is 4 to 5 people in a party these days.
That said you won't be getting into a fight with a lich while fresh as a daisy, chances on on the way to him you'll have been in some dustups that reduced your resources somewhat.
>>
Who here loves being a thief with the Boots of Spring-Heeled Jack, aka Boots of Striding and Springing?

>Your speed while you wear these boots becomes 30 feet, unless your walking speed is higher, and your speed is not reduced if you are encumbered or wearing heavy armor. In addition, whenever you jump, you can jump three times the normal distance.

My dex is 20, and I'm a thief, so my running long jump (with the boots) is 39 feet. My running high jump is 21 feet. I can leap up to most roofs. I could running jump a Starbucks. It's so much fun.

My rogue gets into so much damn mischief with these...
>>
File: 5216328_orig.jpg (196KB, 539x734px) Image search: [Google]
5216328_orig.jpg
196KB, 539x734px
I'm rolling up a tiefling warlock. What should I expect as far as playstyle goes?
>>
>>48988142
Enjoy being Eldritch Blast and Eldritch Blast accessories
>>
>>48988142
lots of fire and cum
>>
>>48988152
Anything beyond that? What can they do outside of combat?
>>
Suggestions for running an ancient / primal / super early civilization style game?
>>
>>48988169

Honestly invocations give you a lot of utility flexibility if you're creative. Take Disguise Self at will and play deception shenanigans, etc.
>>
>>48988169
their imp is the best scout, assuming you're chain
>>
>>48988169
also party face
>>
Is there a feat changes document? I remember seeing a couple before, but didn't save any of them.

>>48988179
I'm running one right now, it's not stone age or anything and not too low magic, but it's still distinct I think. In my case, the world has enough dangerous monsters and such to discourage travel and exploration, meaning the city they're from is about the only place they know and they're traveling out from there to discover other civilizations, establish trade routes, etc.
>>
>>48988142
If you make a pact with a Great Old One you can mentally scream at people within 30 feet and they can't do anything about it
>>
>>48988179
Dragonborn who are descendants of dinosaurs. At war with the "ape" races. Perhaps Orcs and Humans share common ancestors, or Orcs are to humans what Neanderthals were to Homo Sapiens.
Aarakokra who are like...ascended Dragonborn. Evolving into birds rather than being those primitive land lizards.

Have magic be something that ascends one's intellect. Like meteors landing and evolving people's brains or something.
>>
>rolled stats
>got two 8's and a 9
>playing druid human

Should I take feat to increase the 9 to a 10 or focus on powering up my good stats?

Other stats (without race mods) are 11, 15, 14
>>
>>48988142
If you are a Fey-lock you can shine like a pixie to charm people.
>>
>>48987535
R8 muh featz -

Magic adept(requires 13 in either Wis, Int or Cha) :

You learn one cantrip and one lvl 1 spell from any list (you may not learn eldritch blast).

You may cast the lvl 1 spell once per short rest without expending a spell slot.

Your spell save DC is 8+prof bonus+Casting stat.

You determine your casting stat as your highest "mental stat" (Wis, Int or Cha).

Whip master:

You gain a +1 to attack rolls made with whips.
You also learn one battlemaster maneouver of your choice and may execute it with a whip once per turn as part of your weapon attack with your whip.
You don't expend a superiority die when you use this feature but roll a d6 which is treated as the superiority die roll (you may roll a d8 or higher if you have the improved superiority die feature).

(I basically also made other "Weapon master" feats following the same formula for the "Whip master" feat.
Learn one maneouver and do it with no cost with the specific weapon. It allows everyone to feel like they truly mastered their weapon while battlemaster gets to spam one maneouver instead of forgetting how to do it after executing it a handfull of times.)

Kick-boxing technique:

Your unarmed strikes damage die increases to a 1d6 and you may add both your Str mod and Dex mod to your damage rolls.

You learn one maneouver etc. (Same as above).
>>
>>48988298
why cant you learn eldritch blast?
>>
>>48988293
Wow, use an array
>>
>>48988298
pointless trash muh nigga
>>
>>48988293
Onion Druid it with a one level monk dip for AC and other nifty stuff.

Play it as a young monk who was banished from his community or simply left and found a new home in da woodz.
>>
>>48988321
DM said since I already rolled and everyone agreed to use rolls I have to use them :(
>>
>>48988298
Some of your ideas are interesting but you're bad at balance.
Especially "choose your casting stat based on your highest statistic". That's insane and there's no reason for it.
>>
>>48988339
That's what you get for choosing rolls then fool
>>
>>48988339
he a dick
>>
Is a healing warlock possible?
Or is it just "keep your friends off the floor while you keep eldritch blasting fuckers" with Undying?
>>
>>48988339
Did anyone else roll a total under 70? I've heard people recommend rerolling spreads under that total for the sake of balance.
>>
>>48988308
Wizards with eldritch blast.
You don't want them running arround.

This is mainly so you can nab one cantrip and a utility spell from any classes without jumping through hoops.

For example it lets you play a Hex monk without needing that 13 Cha.
>>
>>48988375
Nigga magic initiate is a thing.
It's literally two cantrips and a 1st level spell of choice from any one class and you use their casting stat
>>
>>48988371
>>48988369
I literally got the worst rolls out of my group. One girl who doesn't he get invested in her characters rolled two 15's, a 14,a 12, and two 10's
>>
>>48988375
1d10 damage? with a subpar charisma attack roll?
nigga u dumb
>>
>>48988406
With what method? It doesn't sound like 4d6-1, and if it's 3d6 or some shit you had it coming.
>>
>>48988460
It was 4d6 drop lowest
>>
>>48988293
Doesnt rolling have a minimum average value rule?
>>
File: 1472059910953.jpg (11KB, 252x221px) Image search: [Google]
1472059910953.jpg
11KB, 252x221px
>just use 27 point buy for stats
>eb is charisma based so wizards wouldn't ever use it anyway
>hex doesn't affect saves, only ab checks
>dumb niggas: "why do warlocks get 6-9 level spells when their progression stops at level 5"
etc etc aka dumb shit people have said in this thread since the beginning
this should be in the op
>>
>>48988460
>It doesn't sound like 4d6-1
I've rolled about the same with 4d6. Sometimes the dice just ain't your friend. Likewise I've rolled characters with 18, 18, 17 before racial mods.
It's statistically unlikely, but not impossible.
>>
>>48988504
I meant the girl, max 15 as an example of how his were the worst ones pointed to the one who rolled highest in the group rolling just slightly above average for 4d6-1 make it seem less likely. Still possible of course, but I don't think there's much reason for complaint if he got a 15 and the one with the best stats otherwise got one more 15. Primary stat is what matters 90% of the time anyway, as long as you don't choose a duo-core ability class.
>>
>>48988293
To answer your question, here's how I'd fix this (other than by asking for a reroll per >>48988371)
>15 Wis (Feat +1 to 16)
>14 Dex (Racial +1 to 15)
>11 Con (Racial +1 to 12)
Assign the others however you wish.

Then take the Observant Feat and +1 your Wis. I'd put my first ASI into Dex to get 16 and then a +1 to Wis. After that, +1 Wis at level 8 for 18, and I'd say you can do what you like with your ASIs.
>>
if i knew how to work a gun id kill you niggas
>>
>>48988669

That's what you get for rolling druid.
>>
>>48987856
Mostly it's to prevent a "feat tax". If I'm a rogue but I want to be able to do Indiana Jones type-stuff with my whip, I shouldn't have to blow a separate feat on the godawful Weapon Mastery first.

If 5E had better rules for learning how to use a new weapon, I might not have included, but as it stands it takes like 180 in-game days of training. While I appreciate the go at realism, the fact is that that is a long-ass time in most campaigns.
>>
File: 1472069838839.png (642KB, 480x516px) Image search: [Google]
1472069838839.png
642KB, 480x516px
>>48988700
oh im not him sry
im him >>48988494
>>
>>48988293

Go Moon druid and just bump your Wisdom.
>>
Someone was being a dense motherfucker in the last thread.

Who the fuck allows their players to gain their full hit die when they gain a level?

That is so retarded I can't even
>>
If you're hombrewing a bunch of animals in real life, with a few different species, should you change the species names?
Like if you're making a bunch of monkeys, should you use the real monkey species names or make ones for the fantasy setting?
>>
>>48988828
no game ive ever played in allows that
>>
>>48988828
If you balance encounters accordingly, I don't see what the issue would be. Maybe anon wanted to bring out the heavy hitters sooner?
>>
>>48988494
>point buy is bad
Opinion discarded
>>
>>48988869
youre balancing encounters around roughly on average 3hp differences, and no damage differences. That sounds really annoying to balance encounters towards.
>>
>>48988849
Do they need to know the names?
It's a monkey. Maybe it's big or red or whatever.
>>
File: 1472066215503.png (518KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472066215503.png
518KB, 500x720px
>>48988899
woa no, point buy is best imo
i was responding to people who insist on rolling and make life difficult for no reason
>>
>>48988601

With those stats it's probably not worth pumping Dex when you can just go Moon Druid and use the stats of amnimal forms. It also means you only really need to pump your Wisdom too, and you could theoretically delay it if you really wanted to and grab feats (Grappling feat, Mobile, Lucky, Alert, Warcaster, maybe some other decent animal feats)
>>
>>48987644
Not exactly. He's non-hostile and you're actually supposed to heal his amnesia so he can be a bro and let you read the books or use the amber sarcophagi, because he's got all the passwords.
>>
File: 1410804029264.jpg (45KB, 430x290px) Image search: [Google]
1410804029264.jpg
45KB, 430x290px
>>48988931
>tfw I like rolling but only if there are safeguards in place for extremely poor rollers like me
>>
>>48988930
The players don't need to know the names, no
but if I plan on making this available for others to use, I was just curious if I should keep like say... weddell seal as that, or something like cat-face seal, based on it's characteristics
>>
>make a listing for a game on roll20
>getting a bunch of applicants
>this random dude is replying to some of my applicants, giving them tips on how to make their character fit my world better and other shit, keeps referring to me as "my GM"
>no fucking clue who this dude is, he himself hasn't even put in an application

?????
>>
>>48989012
As a DM, I have the players roll two sets of stats, and they can choose between either set. If both sets have a total modifier less than +3, they can reroll them both.
>>
>>48989012
Just use PB if you're not going to live with the consequences anyway. I hate rollfags who insist on getting to do PB if they don't get a roll that's better than PB.

You're the shitters who made me ban rolling forever.
>>
>>48989037
How accurate is his advice?
>>
File: laughing elf sluts.jpg (102KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
laughing elf sluts.jpg
102KB, 300x269px
>>48989037
>>
>>48989012
my table does this: roll once in the presence of the dm, if you don't like it, point buy/array
>>
>>48989088
do people seriously cheat on dice rolls?
Isn't that like the whole fucking point of the game?

why even play D&D then?
>>
>>48989076
>>48989079
Ok I just checked again and he did put in an application

Still, that for me is a big warning sign. Nigs acting like he's a friend of mine

H
>>
>>48989182
>H
>>
>>48989203
Elp
>>
>>48989106
People are shit.
>>
>>48988869
The issue would be that you become damage sponges incredibly fast.

And remember - If the players get to do this, so does the NPCs and monsters. So the enemies will ALSO have a lot more health.

It just becomes a boring grind.
>>
For an archer type, Outlander Thief or Hunter?
>>
>>48989253
scout
>>
Storm King's Thunder is two weeks away, quick post your level 1 characters you will be playing.

Dwarf Barbarian whose favorite phrase is "Fucken giants"
>>
>>48989260
Is that the fighter-ranger from UA? Does it get the skill profs to put it on a roughly equal footing with Ranger/Thief/Bard?
>>
>>48988931
Oh. Sorry mate.
people who whine about rolling when they chose to do it then rolled poorly just piss me off so much I wasn't comprehending right
>>
>>48989273
Dwarven cleric of life who has helped heal injured giants in the past and was taught the giant language as thanks.
>>
>>48988494
>>eb is charisma based so wizards wouldn't ever use it anyway
>>hex doesn't affect saves, only ab checks
This kind of shit doesn't really come up anymore, it was just near the release that people were in need of explaining what damage types are and how the most basic of shit works. I haven't ever seen those two questions, though i didn't start browsing here until around when the homebrew general died.
>>
>>48989018
I like that more, that's what I'd do.
Stuff like galapagos tortoise -> gargantua tortoise
>>
>>48988251
"Hey, listen!"
>>
>>48989273

Sneering Sun Elf dueling fighter who seeks to prove her superiority above all others in one-on-one martial combat.
>>
>>48989273
A wood elf minstrel who mostly goes along because she sees a good story to write later.

Class still undetermined.
>>
>>48989361
You know, if you think about it, Link would probably be a Wood Elf GOO Pact of the Blade Warlock. Lets him be proficient with a lot of stuff, attack a fair bit, have some magical powers, the beam attack when at full HP is an EB. His GOO keeps resurrecting him whenever Hyrule needs him to stop an opposing GOO Warlock/Battlemaster Fighter from getting the McGuffin. And his quirk is that he can't speak outside of grunts of pain/shock.
>>
>>48989310
yes, it's great

>>48989345
>This kind of shit doesn't really come up anymore
see >>48988375
>>
>>48989345
you stupid fag
>>
>>48989273
Assuming DM approval, a Half-Elf Favored Soul Sorcerer who is trying to figure out which diety boinked his elven mother. It's Tymora.

Otherwise, a Silver Dragonborn Paladin of Vengeance, taking up the oath to hunt down the giants who plague the Sword Coast.
>>
>>48989523
>Favored Soul
only a retard dm would allow this
don't care if u understand or not
>>
>>48989273
A Human Paladin of Devotion with Folk Hero that will try to negotiate with the giants, but always making puns about their size.
>>
>>48989273
Sun Elf fighter who started adventuring when he stood up to bandits threatening his home, and realised people will give you lots of money for beating up evil dudes, and from that day on dedicated his life to the cause of getting loaded.
Assuming someone in my group lets me be a player, not the forever DM.
>>
>>48989494
That's not really the same though, it's pretty stupid and idk why he's worried about wizards instead of sorcs but >>48988408 is the stupid one for not reading the full feat. The end of it says your casting stat is your highest mental stat, meaning you wouldn't use CHA as a Wizard (probably).
>>
>>48989433
Literally any reason why you aren't going bard?
>>
>>48989550
What a bulletproof argument.
please enlighten me I haven't heard anything bad about it
>>
>>48989273
Waterdhavian Noble half-elf Valor Bard.
He leaves home because he's spoiled rotten and bored around the family compound in the North Ward but ends up in the latest Realms shitstorm.
>>
>>48989550
How is a Favored Soul Sorcerer overpowered? They get a couple extra spells a 1/3/5/7/9 from their domain, which means that at worst they become a secondary healer with Metamagic'ed healing skills. But being that my domain would be linked to Tymora (the goddess of luck), it would only be things that can modify rolls in some fashion.

That's why I said it'd need DM approval: there's no Luck Domain right now, so I'd need to take something that fits, or work with him on a homebrewed Luck Domain.
>>
File: Kubo.gif (545KB, 245x140px) Image search: [Google]
Kubo.gif
545KB, 245x140px
>>48989273
Pic fucking related.

Moon-Half-Elf College of Lore bard, entertainer background. 99% of my spells will be reflavored to look like flying origami / sheets of paper.
>>
>>48989699
Not that guy, but why not take wild magic?
>>
>>48989652
I'm still juggling between Performer Ranger, Outlander Rogue and Bard; all of them do something I want, I'm just not sure what would be more fun.

For a primary archer I figure Hunter and Valor are pretty close, but I also figure most DMs would say taking Swift Quiver is cheese.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (202KB, 780x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
202KB, 780x768px
>>48989612
you fucking idiot, no way per RAW to cast EB with int as the casting Stat, you accuse others of not reading when it's you, you fucking retard

>You choose a class list
>EB is not on the Wizard class list
>It's on the warlock class list
>therefore you must use CHA
Do you even read the PHB faggot?
Please tell me you arent this stupid and that this is a troll

>>48989699
If you don't understand you are a faggot
>>
>>48989704
Why not go full Realms with it and make him an immigrant from Kara-Tur, either from Wa or Kozakura?
Everyone will think you're just pulling words out of your ass but then you'll be able to show that you did your setting research and while they just pulled bullshit out of their asses for their characters.
>>
>>48989722
Honestly I like Wild Magic Sorcerer too, but I've always wanted to play a Sorcerer who gets its magic from a divine source, and the closest thing is Favored Soul.

>>48989738
Ok, so you're just trolling, good to know.
>>
>>48989738
BTFO
>>
>>48989738
Read >>48988298 maybe?
>You determine your casting stat as your highest "mental stat" (Wis, Int or Cha).

That entire chain of comments isn't about magic initiate you blabbering retard.
>>
>>48989738

You could with the feat he's suggesting but Eldritch Blast is BARELY better than Firebolt (because multiple attack rolls > a single attack roll). So the Wizard is giving up a feat/asi to get a barely better Firebolt. The restriction is silly and dumb founded.

I guess maybe he's worried about Evocation Wizards dealing 4d10+5???
>>
>>48989760
Because I had no idea those were a thing. I'm not too well versed in the FR outside of the Sword Coast.
>>
>>48989725
Personally I'd say it's fair game.
At least, I'd allow it in my game.
>>
>>48989790
you are fucking retarded.
that entire madeup feat existed to prevent "wizards from taking eb" >>48988375
Which, as I pointed out, was pointless anyways, because wizards dont care about CHA and EB needs CHA to be effetive. It just goes to show that Homebrew faggots are trash and stupid as usual, since the fucking release of 5e.
>>
>>48989832
the bad 5e homebrew is a symptom of 3.splatbook mentality desu
>>
>>48989832
So how'd you dodge the IP ban, Virt?
>>
>>48989850
A ton of 5e homebrew is essentially "but what if I want to play this ridiculous charop windowlicker shit that 5e set out to squash in the first place"

Also being able to talk to your DM like an adult is fun; want a composite bow or a d8 yataghan style scimitar? Just ask to refluff; longbow you can use on horseback or finesse slashing rapier.
>>
>>48989821
Here you go.
Basically the original Western-made "Asian fantasy" setting, and one that's surprisingly inclusive at that, doing things like multiple eras of Chinese history, southeast Asian, and two different periods of Japan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara-Tur
>>
File: 1472069698205.jpg (26KB, 366x440px) Image search: [Google]
1472069698205.jpg
26KB, 366x440px
>>48989850
5e is a great system and all this homebrew, fucking terrible homebrew present since the beginning, is pointless. making tg work is harder than it appears, at the beginning everyone shit on mike mearls but their homebrew is laughably bad, whatever problems mike had, it pales in comparison to, several years out, niggas still asking stupid questions like >>48988494

>>48989863
so i prove you wrong and make you look stupid and suddenly i am a namefag? i dont know virt nor have i ever seen him post
dont care if you like him or not
seriously this game is simple, its you autists that ruin it
>>
I'm new to 5e, played PF for about 3 years. Are blaster wizards better in this version? Are they good? So far I like the ruleset a lot. I really love playing Black Mage and never liked the idea of a supporting "god wizard". I just want to fly around and nuke motherfuckers.
>>
>>48989911
'preciate it. And yeah, I had it pulled up and was reading into it.

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely going to flesh out !Kubo some more. So far I was just trying to find spells that would fit with what he was able to do in the movie, but not also leave me completely gimped casting wise.

Suggestions on what to take with magical secrets?
>>
>>48989916
an evoker wizard is a strong choice for a new player, go fire. So is a battle master fighter. hell most classes are good. just start with at least 16 in your attack stat, the rest is up to you
>>
>>48989832
That's not what he's saying at all, he's just stating the reason EB is banned in his homebrew, because in that you use casting stat and in that case EB is too good. He wanted a magic initiate that didn't require being MAD in some cases, enabling any caster to take a spell/cantrip from another class and use it as their own.
>>
>>48989912
>""""""prove""""""
>>
>>48989947
the whole thing is pointless because eb is restricted to CHA casters, which the wizard is not, are yuo too stupid to understand

>>48989948
>that's not a denial
keep raging against my wisdom, nigga
>>
>>48989916
If you just wanna blast niggers I'd say go sorcerer

minmax fags will reccomend wiz over sorc, but sorc is so much more fun

twinning spells, being able to quicken spells etc. The only real problem is a lack of ways to regenerate sorcerer points and stupidly limited spells known
>>
>>48989106
People who try to get as much as they can out of something or someone.

There's one autistic minmaxer nig in my group who rolled up a wood elf monk. He came to the session with 2 18s, 2 15s, a 14 and a 9. We were level 4 so nignog would have had 20 in Dex and Wis, rolling around with 20 AC and well-above-average HP.

I had everyone roll on the spot in front of me, just to make sure there were no shenanigans after that.
>>
>>48989916
Evocation works great, sculpt spell is the only way to safely AoE by RAW. You won't deal the most damage, but you will deal the flashiest damage.
>>
>>48989947

>EB is too good

this is just ridiculously untrue. EB is barely above Fire Bolt and the Wizard is wasting a feat to get it. If he wants a slightly better Firebolt that casts off a better stat then let him waste it; lord knows there's probably a million better things he could grab.
>>
>>48989106
oh sweet summer child

like 60% of players are terrible min-maxing munchkin niggers and would totally cheat to make their numbers higher

it's 3.x's fault; back then you were encouraged to make min-max and shit
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
this drives me insane

everytime I have a session with people, whether they are new to the game or not, the minute I break out the Pantheon they all go: "Nope my character doesn't believe in any gods."

Like right now I have a party of 4 and they all don't. Just drives me crazy.
>>
>>48989942
Never saw the movie (I work a lot) but focus less on trying to replicate it perfectly and more in a Bard's use as a support caster; get spells that hinder the enemy or cause problems more then deal damage or spells that help out the party. Bards are great for "utility" type spells like that.

Oh, and the Far Traveler background is perfect for the concept, with Kara-Tur even being one of the suggested origins.
>>
File: 1472059414455.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472059414455.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Hey guys I want to make a feat that is basically Magic Initiate but allows everyone to take everything forever, and Christ comes down into my cock and makes it powerful and erect forever, and niggas are my slaves and god is in my corner and I watched that Ewan Macgregor Jesus movie and so I want to roll a healer of Chauntea who uses heal spells to heal both my party and the monsters and I love niggers and cocks and McDonalds hamburgers and what is the meaning of life, is there any inherent meaning or is it all pointless and does my cum ever become a child and what is up with Pete Townsend and the Who, is he a pedo or was it a misunderstand all I know I love Pete too much to walk away tho, don't you hear sincerity in my voice when I talk? I know I'm a liar...
>>
>>48990052
What setting are they in?
>>
>>48989947
>That's not what he's saying at all, he's just stating the reason EB is banned in his homebrew, because in that you use casting stat and in that case EB is too good.
It's a single d10 cantrip. At most, it's preventing MAD because wizards wouldn't need Cha to have a decent attack bonus. But that's it. Cause you don't add your casting stat mod to EB, and you're never going to get more than one d10 of damage.
>>
Just ignore the troll, folks. If they actually wanted to help they'd provide some sort of proof/facts to back up their claims.

And yes, some homebrew are ridiculously overpowered and power trip fantasies, or trying to port over 3.PF splat book bloat (which is a legitimate concern, don't get me wrong), but the system is flexible enough to allow this porting to occur, so long as both DM and player work together to make the class/race balanced.
>>
>>48989106

Bring a dice tower to an established group as a new player and the person or persons that lose their shit are usually cheaters.
>>
>>48989984
Yeah I dunno, I like the flavor of Wizard a bit more. I prefer Iron Man over the X-Men. I guess a sorcerer could be fun to play too though. I'll look into both
>>
File: 1472058937539.jpg (43KB, 720x603px) Image search: [Google]
1472058937539.jpg
43KB, 720x603px
Wizards use spells from the wizard spell list
All other things in time use things from their own spell list
FIXED FAGS
>>
>>48990020
>>48990079
I'm just stating what the OP intended, from my interpretation. I don't think EB is too good as long as you give up something for it (like half a feat), though it is a strict upgrade for firebolt so I understand the concern somewhat. Also, yes you are getting more than 1 d10 of damage, read how cantrips work.

>>48989973
>eb is restricted to CHA casters
That does nothing to defend against my point.
>>
>>48990124
>That does nothing to defend against my point.
Then state that point nigga. Cause all this song and dance can be prevented with >>48990118
>>
God has come down and touched my cock, and I immediatly rolled a wisard and made her a evoker b/c I love a nigga casting spells, and her bg is entertainer for some reason and her elf mama got BLACKED by a black NIGGA from the deep ass hot south and now she lives in silverymoon and plays her GUITAR and uses EB to blast NIGGAS
>>
>>48990176
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0zWDhJaQC8h
>>
>>48990138
The OP feat was an attempt to allow casters or any mental stat-dependent characters to get a spell/cantrip from another class without being limited by the spellcasting ability that class uses. For that, magic initiate doesn't cut it, and he thought EB was too strong to be gained in this way, so he excluded it. Then you went on to assume that someone thought EB from Magic Initiate is OP on Wizards because you can use INT, not getting that they were still on the homebrew feat which would allow that.
>>
>>48990231
oh, my apologies then
>>
>>48990124
>Also, yes you are getting more than 1 d10 of damage, read how cantrips work.
I stand corrected.
>>
>>48990176
>we wuz kangs wonce
>>
>>48990259
>Implying there were no kingdoms in either subsaharan Africa or Chult
/pol/ pls
>>
So I took a look over beast master ranger again recently. It's actually not abysmal as I initially thought it was. With that I've decided to make a beast master wood elf ranger as one of my next characters, using the giant poisonous snake as my beast companion. Probably an outlander background. Anyone else here ever tried playing a beast master ranger in this edition? How well, or poorly, did it all turn out?
>>
>>48990271
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1JybFYvScQn
>>
>>48990274
who cares? we're all doomed anyways
>>
>>48990124

You're getting 4d10(+5 if you're evocation) over 4 attack rolls instead of 4d10(+5 if you're evocation) in one. It's slightly better but probably not worth a feat on it's own and the restriction is dumb.
>>
>>48990074

FR
>>
>>48990327
Why are we all doomed exactly?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (194KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
194KB, 1280x720px
what god or pantheon or religious group would believe in something like the "circle of life?" and if it could not be a god what would that be? Like a philosophy more like?

if it's forgotten realms great, if it's a real life thing that's cool too.
>>
>>48990335
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0FNHO2667ip
>>
>>48990335
I could understand if they were intimidated by the sheer number of gods and their history/relations in the setting, but it sounds like they're just edgy and/or stubborn. That blows.
>>
>>48990361
necause life is without meaning and death is certain
>>
>>48990335
Have literally everyone treat them like crazies when the bring it up then.
In modern-day FR most elves of adult age by elven standards are actually old enough to have lived through a time period when the deities LITERALLY walked around fighting each other.
Not many people see gods but their clergy and their powers are as evident as magic is in Faerun and are undoubtably a force that everyone recognizes exists.
>>48990375
You mean like believing in circle of life like the Lion King thing or do you mean the Buddhist reincarnation thing?
Because those are pretty different.
>>
>>48990378
Holy fuck handle your shit
>>
What are some fun things I can do as a moon druid? Specifically with animal forms?
>>
>>48990375
Druids and nature clerics probably. And I suppose the Raven Queen's worshipers too.
>>
>>48990448
Become a giant spider and claim some drow bitches.
>>
>>48990485
As in eat them? Or something else?

I wonder if my DM would let me eat enemies while an animal instead of consuming rations.
>>
>>48990499
>I wonder if my DM would let me eat enemies while an animal instead of consuming rations.
I don't think there's anything saying you can't do that regardless of form.
>>
>>48990448
Tigers are great. Rats are good for scouting as well, since their scent ability also makes them excellent trackers. At least, that's what our moon druid has been doing.
>>
>>48990448
Turn into a brown bear, scale the wall the enemy archers are perched on, and maul them.
>>
>>48990499
I let my druid player eat some goblins as a bear after passing a low CON save. No reason you shouldn't be able to.
>>
>>48990499
I've known druids who eat the creatures they kill in combat. Nothing unusual about a bear eating a goblin or other weak humanoid.
>>
>>48990418
>>48990470

he says lion king (he being the player)

>>48990470

ok I'll have to look those up
>>
i sucked a lions cock as a dru
>>
Thank you for the ideas!

>>48990526
That's a good point. I just figured you could eat more things without doing the prep work to make it consumable if you're an animal.

>>48990583
>>48990606
Thanks. Guess I'll give it a try. We've killed a few things that seem edible enough so it seems like a fun way of avoiding ration consumption.

>>48990536
We've got a ranger who sets their pet off to do scouting most of the time. I'd like to do it a little more, but that takes away what they shine at. But it'll probably come in handy at some point.

>>48990546
Seems like a fun thing to try to. We haven't had a lot of enemies out of our reach yet. It's mostly been rooms or stuff on the ground. I'm hoping for swimming or climbing stuff to take advantage of some of my forms that way.
>>
>>48990624
>>48990418
>>48990470

so after talking with my player for some time, it turns out, he's playing a monk, and he wants this "circle of life" thing to be more eastern philosophy.

I told him the more we talk about this the more Sun Soul his character sounds to me.

He also said "it's all circles. no paradise. you live you die you live again. over and over."
>>
File: 1BKFIoc.png (106KB, 446x377px) Image search: [Google]
1BKFIoc.png
106KB, 446x377px
>tfw vorefag
>never occurred to me to play a moon druid to eat enemies

Thanks /5eg/
>>
>>48990012
>won't deal the most damage
So... they're weak? I have bad memories of my PF Evoker when compared to archers.
>>
>>48990708
>if I'm not the absolute best I suck
Nah.
Evoker is cool it's just not like 4-attacks-fighter
>>
>>48990674
Faerun has several Eastern-style philosophies like that in Kara-Tur (such as "The Way", which is like a pseudo-Daoism) the kind a monk might easily know of.
Sun Soul monks explicitly believe in death and the afterlife though., revering either Lathander, Amaunator, or on occasion Sune.
>>
>tfw monk doesn't get a yumi-armed archery path
>>
>>48990849
Akshually, now that I think of it, if I go Shadow Monk as a wood elf, do I get to treat my elf weapons as monk weapons?
>>
>>48990869

No, monk weapons are defined in the monk class under martial arts, they aren't any weapon you have proficiency in.
>>
>>48990849
A "Zen Archer" or whatever tradition calls it would be a pretty good archetype to make
>>
>>48990703

>hardvore

you fucking disgust me
>>
>>48990869
No, but you wouldn't really gain anything from monk weapon bows anyway.
>>
>>48990849
I was working in a Kensai archetype for the Monk awhile ago based on the old 1e/2e one (though it was a Fighter kit and not a Monk thing), maybe I'll make a Zen Archer thing.
It's not as classic as the Kensai but it's still pretty cool.
>>
>>48989273
Stout Halfling Barbarian (outlander) raised by the Uthgardt tribes

Variant Human (Mulhurondi) Fighter (Far Traveller) from the past who was shunted through time (my old 2E character)

Tiefling Paladin (Criminal) who reformed after a job went bad.

Earth Genasi Druid (hermit) who ain't happy his turnips been trampled on.
>>
>>48990985
I feel the same way about soft vore. To each his own.
>>
>>48991006
>Variant Human (Mulhurondi) Fighter (Far Traveller) from the past who was shunted through time (my old 2E character)

I know you.
You talked about this character once before!
>>
>>48988370
Chainlock 14 (undying)/Paladin x can be a decent healer using the familiar to deliver touch spells, and your DM may let you lay on hands though the familiar, but if you want to play pure warlock as a healer you don't really have options.
>>
>>48989273
Human Illusionist who's the Noble Fighter's family court Wizard's Apprentice. They both ran away to become adventurers because the Fighter was the youngest child and was going to be sent to the church as a guard and my Illusionist's master was an asshat.
>>
>>48990390
I get this reference.
>>
I love 5eg's troll(s). Either it's one dedicated guy or each troll has decided to mimic the style of one particular guy.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>48989273
A jolly human fighter who made a grim promise to a dear friend.
>>
>>48990906
Dammit. Oh well.
>>
>Favored Soul is overpowered

Wild Magic / Draconic Sorcerer don't look like they're that much fun.
>>
>>48991263
Favored souls big things are Bonus Spells and Armor but they get no good damage boosts.
>>
>>48991285

More spells = more versatility
>>
>>48991263
Sorcerer is fun regardless of archetype. Metamagic is the shit. Favored Soul is fine. It has no damage boosts and gets utility in exchange. It's a little less reliant on dexterity than others because of the armor proficiency. Extra attack is nearly meaningless without martial weapon proficiency.

Shadow sorcerer is the only archetype I have seen that is stronger than the others, but it's not any worse of a power gap than open hand monk vs. four elements monk.

>>48991326
Fair trade off compared to what the other bloodlines get.
>>
>>48991263
I'd potentially okay a FS who was just a Sor whose spell list was entirely cleric + domain
>>
>>48991140
>yawn
>>
>>48991391

Why not just play a Cleric then?
>>
>>48991413
No idea, for the spontaneity? Also priests don't get wings at leel 11
>>
>>48991169

Yea it sucks. Hopefully we eventually get the Kensei class other anons were talking about so we can expand the pool of monk weapons a bit if you don't want to just hang around quarterstaffing stuff.
>>
>>48990787
Alright I haven't played at all vanilla FR, just an altered version by my GM who also doesn't know shit about it. What exactly do normal people know about death, the afterlife, alignment, planes, all that? I feel like with resurrection being possible everyone would know that you go to your god's realm when you die and that kind of stuff.
>>
>>48991413
because muh autism

>>48991413
>>48991427
i hate this thread
>>
/tg/, I come to ask for thy help again! I need a name for this... Pictures are welcome, too.

>+1 spear
>as an action, once per day (or using most of its charges) you may plant the spear on the ground and cast Beacon of Hope without requiring concentration. However, the spell. However, the spell ends if you take your hand off of the spear or if it is removed from the ground.
>something else?

Session is in 30 min and they may find this...
>>
File: 1472070039971.jpg (21KB, 570x479px) Image search: [Google]
1472070039971.jpg
21KB, 570x479px
>>48991455
what
this is some gay moses shit
>>
>>48991455

Spear of the Banner Bearer.
>>
File: dwarfSWAT.jpg (329KB, 1431x1600px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfSWAT.jpg
329KB, 1431x1600px
>>48989273
I'll be starting at level 3 because my table isn't full of sadomasochists.

Dwarven SWAT officer with a boner for enormous constructs.
>>
>>48991455
Polaris
And let it function like the light spell or something like that
>>
>>48991455
Spear of Renewal?
>>
>>48991455
Spear of Destiny.
>>
>>48990674
>it's all circles. no paradise
he wants you too forcibly fill his circles
>>
>>48991593
u mean fuck his ass?
>>
>>48991455
Bastion of the Blessed
Last Light
>>
>>48991446
They don't know as much as you think, but they know some shit.
Everyone in Faerun believes in the deities because Clerics exist and the Avatar War was the event that kicked of 2e, so the gods are a recorded thing in actual Faerunian history.
Clergy (who are not always actually Clerics, they can be of any class or just unskilled NPC's) of different gods can be found in many places and preach their word, and actual Clerics get divine magic which is further proof of their existence to most folks.
Resurrection is NOT common; it requires a fairly powerful Cleric to pull it off and thus not everyone who dies of accident gets to come back.
In addition, memories of the afterlife are pretty fuzzy usually; information in the Prime Material Plane is stored in your brain, thus when you die and leave your body behind the memories imprinted on your soul are kind of vaguer, more like feelings. That said the educated sages and knowledgable folks know of the planes the gods are on because a powerful enough caster can literally just plane shift there with a spell.

The common folk however know the gods exist the way most folk know science exists; they have ample proof that it works and is a thing, but most don't know fuck-all about specifics beyond what they heard in rumors or half-remembered lessons and everyone argues about it a lot and spends a lot of time getting it wrong.

Arcane magic is similar in Faerun, actually.
>>
So what do guys think about taking a short rest while you're unconscious and stable?
If you read the phb at s.186, it doesn't seem like this shouldn't be allowed, long rest states that you have to have 1hp to start a long rest, but this is missing for the short rest and also being unconscious shouldn't be more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading or tending wounds.
>>
>>48991751
I always rule it as not, unless they get up back to 1hp to take the rest.
>>
>>48991455
Spear of the last legionaire.
A weapon owned by a singular warrior who rallied an entire nation by his heroic stand.
Link it to sameo somehow
>>
>>48991650
Thanks, that makes some sense. Mostly I thought that when the truth is available (even to just the few powerful enough to discover it), it would spread, but it is medieval fantasy after all.
>>
>>48991751
I'd allow it for healing only. No spells regained for warlocks, identifying items, or anything else. It just sucks to be the player left out of half the session because you couldn't heal when everyone else did.
>>
>>48991650
The closest you'll get to non-believer are Gann and the Ahtar; they know these powerful beings are a thing, they also think they're unworthy of worship, justified in some's eyes as more than a few of them are former mortals.

They're gnostics, not really atheists.
>>
has anyone styled their game in the Wuxia type? DMG 41.

I don't mean you have to tailor everything to that (like change the weapons and such), but my players are all into anime, and I think this is the best way to spark their roleplay. I am a HUGE fan of wuxia (I've devoured Louis Cha novels and watched the shows), and was thinking of running Phandelver with the wuxia hanging in the background...we have a monk who believes in reincarnation, an elf who could easily be a Japanese samurai, an EK who personalizes himself as Mugen from Champloo, and a Wizard who is played by a hardcore DBZ fan. I've been looking into Journey to the West and will be getting it soon to take a look. I was wondering if there are some magic items or plots I could take a look at, or some Kara-Tur sourcebooks or adventures?

I was even thinking of checking out L5R to get some ideas.
>>
>>48991819
It's really more like late medieval/early renaissance fantasy with how much more common (comparatively anyway) education and trade is.
Faerun even has banking institutions and trading companies with stocks of sorts.
>>
>>48991140
i literally had this idea today after deciding i was gonna play Solaire
>>
>>48991878
>has anyone styled their game in the Wuxia type?
No, I use another system for it.
D&D isn't particularly suited for it unless you want the fluff to literally completely be ignored by the actual rules.
>HUGE fan of wuxia
I as well
I miss WHQ.
>I've devoured Louis Cha novels and watched the shows
Ah, a man of taste!
> I was wondering if there are some magic items or plots I could take a look at, or some Kara-Tur sourcebooks or adventures?
I could upload a link to the Kara-Tur sourcebook, but it's mostly traditional fantasy with Asian monsters, not true wuxia. Which is perhaps fitting as it's not actually just China over in Kara-Tur.
>>
>>48991069
I did! Finally going to use him (the others are the other players). Going to swing him into a War Domain Cleric later on but for now he works.
>>
File: preview_medium.jpg (135KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
preview_medium.jpg
135KB, 701x394px
>>48991955

do you like the shows too? loved the fuck out of Laughing in the Wind.
>>
>>48991986
Always nice when that happens.
My current 5e PC is actually the son of my 2e/3e PC, who being a moon elf is actually still alive and kicking around.
>>48992011
Yup, they're good ones.
The new Swordsman series from Taiwan is great (awesome production values), though they change Dongfeng Bubai's gender to legit a woman and alter the plot so she's a major character and pretty much the hero's primary love interest.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (43KB, 587x248px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
43KB, 587x248px
>>48991955
>>48992011

I'm so stoked I'm rereading them now. Check out this excerpt. that is literally one player telling a murderhobo to calm his tits.
>>
>>48992062

shieeeeeeet I gotta get on that
>>
>>48992065
The only guy in Louis Cha's novels who's working solution was "fight everyone and win" who actually made it work was Sword Devil Dugu Qiubai.

And he was so miserable about it that he probably committee suicide out of despair.
>>48992082
It's all on YouTube last I checked, and in good quality.
Amusingly, the opening theme is quite clearly a modernized rendition of the "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" song from the novel.
https://youtu.be/69o4POPuAVY
>>
File: Capture.jpg (33KB, 553x224px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
33KB, 553x224px
>>48992148

lmfao

and this just blew my mind just now, I never knew that was an actual "phrase" used in ancient china, I just thought it was a clever name for the movie!

oh thank you fellow Youke for the link, I will show this to my shifou and he will be quite pleased.
>>
>>48991878
I don't know how well LMoP will work in a wuxia type setting. It just seems like goblins and bugbears would be tonally inconsistent, but it's your table.

L5R is great, but it focuses more on being a noble samurai than wuxia antics (though it can be styled to fit as well). You should get some good inspiration on worldbuilding and magic items from it though.
>>
>>48991878, >>48992011, >>48992065, >>48992082, >>48992184
I'll just leave this here.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Wulin+Hero+Quest
>>
>>48992184
>and this just blew my mind just now, I never knew that was an actual "phrase" used in ancient china, I just thought it was a clever name for the movie!

WulinSage claims it probably wasn't an ACTUAL saying but uses fairly easy to understand metaphors in Chinese.
Louis Cha used it though and he was the wuxia genre's Tolkien basically so everyone else uses it too.
>>
>>48991455

Spear of Hope.

+1 Spear, 1/day (recharges at dawn) as an action you may plant the spear in the ground and cast Beacon of Hope. While the healing effect is instantaneous, so long as the spear is in the ground those within a 30 ft. range of it gain the rest of Beacon of Hope (adv. on Wisdom saving throws and death save throws).
>>
File: jchrist how horrifying.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
jchrist how horrifying.png
117KB, 444x440px
holy shit weeboos have evolved
>>
>>48992197
I feel like wuxia themes in FR work better in parts where your main enemy is going to be likely to be internal corruption; Thay, the lands of intrigue, Kara-Tur if you feel like bringing in 2e splats.
>>
>>48992285
Nah; weeaboos only like superficially Japanese shit they see in anime and think it actually represents real Japanese history and culture. That's why they're weeaboos.
Wuxia fans don't have that problem because fuckin' NOBODY knows what the shit a "wuxia" is so you have to REALLY dig to get at that sort of stuff and get into it as there is no modern "superficial" way to get acquainted beyond "I saw Crouching Tiger once when I was like twelve".
>>
>>48989273
Ghostwise Halfling, Moon Druid X/Rogue 1. "You giants want to pick on little people, try someone your own size!" Use Enhance Ability to get advantage for an hour and carry the big guys when needed.
>>
>>48992062
>Always nice when that happens.
Agreed. Never could figure a way for them to come in properly with previous games but he was being played in a 2E version of GDQ and then it hit me: GIANTS! Talked to DM who laughed his ass off at bringing in a (technical) time-travelling giant slayer.

Shit will be cash.
>Glory to Mulhurond! Glory to Horus-Re!
>>
>>48990052
Sounds like a great time to get your Smite on! "Taste my lightning, non-believers!!!"
>>
>>48990052
Sounds like an opportunity for a god-shenanigan-centric campaign
>>
>>48990375
Silvanus. All about the cycle of life and others as well. Works with Eldath on the cycle of water, with Mielikki on the cycle of life, and even with Chauntea on the interflow between nature and agriculture.
>>
>>48990274
So no one has any advice or helpful comments for playing a beast master ranger here?
>>
File: archivist.jpg (102KB, 413x882px) Image search: [Google]
archivist.jpg
102KB, 413x882px
how is this shit balanced?
>>
Have you guys seen this? I'm thinking about doing something like this for Storm King's Thunder. http://gaiusludusen.blogspot.com.br/2016/06/5e-d-combat-options-with-giant-creatures.html
>>
>>48992674
What do you mean, like, "tricks" or something? 5e doesn't have nearly as many of those and a lot of the people who talk about them don't even have a group because no DM would let them fly with that stuff or allow 15th level starting characters or whatever.
>>
>>48990849
Do note that while monks do not get a path for it, they are remarkably good at it. Their increased mobility means they are incredibly difficult to catch and they can gain distance through purely vertical means, they can catch and throw back projectiles lobbed against them, and getting close to that archer just means you are in perfect range for his back-up weapons!

I would recommend Shadow for it, though Long Death also works well by making the archer monk resilient when stuck in melee and able to cause fear to keep enemies from approaching.
>>
Going to be playing a fighter starting from level 1, planning on going eldritch knight.

Currently I'm seriously considering taking the magic initiate feat at level 1 and warcaster at level 4. Having 2 cantrips and hex 1/day from level 1 sounds really good.
>>
>>48992759
There's already limited rules for that sort of thing in the DMG actually.
And believe it or not, most D&D Giants aren't actually large enough to do stuff like swallow people whole.
>>
>>48988370
If your still here, then you can try to convince your DM to let you play an Undying Light Warlock. At higher levels, they do get healing abilities.
>>
>>48992861
Hex implies warlock, which implies charisma for the cantrips. I hope you're planning on getting Booming Blade and something with no spell attack or saving throw.
>>
>>48992861
Forgot to include my question because I'm a mong

Is the magic initiate feat a trap?

I definitely feel that defensive duelist or lucky are mechanically superior. However, those feats don't seem to be able to match the flexibility offered by magic initiate.

Am I right in thinking that magic initiate will effectively allow me to use 4 cantrips at level 3?
>>
>>48992895
Magic Initiate is not a trap, but it's not universally strong either. Its usefulness depends on how well your selections compliment what your character is trying to do.

You are correct about having 4 cantrips at level 3 of Eldritch Knight. Remember that Hex means you have to pick warlock, which means your Magic Initiate casting will be Charisma-based.
>>
>>48992776
Just any sort of helpful advice, like if a giant poisonous snake will work out well in combat with the buffs it would get, or if it would be better to get an animal companion with utility in mind. Also, I'm curious how often animal companions die if you use them wisely, and if they instantly die if they hit 0 or if they get their own death saves. I know they are far from optimal but I got this character idea for a beast master ranger and I'd love to try it out. I just want others thoughts and opinions before I jump head first into this character.
>>
>>48992891
>>48992929
I see. Booming blade would mesh very well with shield master, for example?

I can't see anywhere that says I need to have 11 cha to cast level 1 spells like in 3.5, so if I dump cha and avoid stuff that works off of cha I should be ok right?
>>
>>48992983
Shield Master says you have to take the Attack action. Booming Blade is part of the Cast a Spell Action, so there's no synergy.

You don't need a minimum Charisma for warlock casting. I'm just pointing out that anything you pick that uses a spell attack or allows a saving throw will be a poor choice unless your Eldritch Knight, which already wants Str/Dex, Con, and maybe Int also has good Cha.
>>
File: zodu.jpg (21KB, 258x330px) Image search: [Google]
zodu.jpg
21KB, 258x330px
So this cutie is in my party's home base/town. As an Aasimar heavily inspired by Apollo (I think the DM is building me up to have be the son of Lathander?) I feel obligated to try my luck.

Without wanting to get magical realm levels of uncomfortable, what are some good librarian, or aasimar, or just Faerûn-ian pick up lines I could kick off at the table?
>>
>>48991751
Being unconscious is super bad for you
>>
Anyone have a good character sheet that has a decent amount of room for notes? Our DM is leading us through a wonderfully lore-filled campaign, and I want something that looks better than scratch paper, but has more room than a 2 by 5 inch section of paper.
>>
>>48993040
Thanks for correcting me on that synergy issue
>spell attack
Fuck, I misread the rules. I thought that dex was still used for ranged spell attacks. That makes a strength eldritch knight slightly more appealing.
>>
>>48993171
No problem. Ask your DM and he might allow them to function together anyway. If I had an Eldritch Knight player doing what you're doing, I'd give him a magical shield at some point that says he can use Shield Master with cantrips.
>>
>>48993123
What kinda campaign?
It's nice to have players that a appreciate lore stuff.
>>
File: laughinglolis.jpg (50KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
laughinglolis.jpg
50KB, 400x267px
>>48991263
>Wild Sorc
>Not fun
>>
>>48993331
Wild Sorc is freaking fun. First time I had an experience with one was with a friend that rolled a dragonborn wm sorc, first wild magic trigger was a fucking fireball and it was a TPK.
The DM had high hopes for character interaction and development.
>>
>>48993084
Librarian
>"I have an ancient tome written about MAH DICK."
Aasmiar
>"Ey, you want sum fuk?"
Faerun
>"Ey, you want sum fuk?"

Seriously though, as much of a huge autistic pervert as Ed Greenwood is he never wrote anything about pickup lines in the Realms. Since she's not actually a real person and it's a subject matter who's success is likely pre-determined by the GM just say whatever.
>>
>>48993084
Go for jokes that are as cringy as possible.

"Hey, I didn't know this was the tallest building in Neverwinter! 'Cause it has the most STORIES than any other building? Get it? Heh...h-heh..."

Then attack the librarian before she spreads word of your horrible horrible pun.
>>
>>48993123
Why not just buy a little dollar store notebook dedicated to that campaign?
>>
>>48993316
here's the stinger he posted for us.

>Floating placidly in the dark expanse of the Trackless Sea lies the island of Ugora. Once untouched by outside civilization, Ugora was soon discovered by an order of Tempus soldiers. Astounded by the land's countless resources and strange rejuvenating qualities, they decided to begin colonizing the wondrous isle, to the dismay of the native Sun elves. Fearing their isolated paradise would soon be overrun by outsiders, the elves decided to start raiding the Tempus camps. Soon, an arduous and bloody war swept the island for many decades, until eventually the humans came out victorious. Giving the elves a corner of their former home, the humans soon began building castles, abbeys and settlements. Thousands of colonists from all over the realms have began flocking to Ugora, as it has been called a land of opportunity full of untold treasures, strange miracles and thrilling adventures.

since landing, our party has discovered a plot to restart the island-wide war as soon as the current human king dies. There are parties on both sides itching for blood, and the only thing that could potentially stop the conflict is a hidden bastard, only son of the ailing king and his secret lover, the Sun Elf Princess. As we've started seeking the kid, we're slowly unraveling the possibility that there never even was a 'war' but rather some mass hallucination or twisting of time by Cyric, who also apparently has Umberlee keeping anyone from leaving or getting to the island?
>>
>>48993379
Our current game has a tiefling Wild Sorcerer.
Let me tell you, it does NOT do our party's rep any favors when we have a tiefling who causes literally uncontrollable random magic stuff to happen while she tries to save people.

Still a ton of fun though.
>>
>>48993439
Interesting.
So it's a Forgotten Realms game but doesn't take place on Faerun itself? Neato!
>>
>>48993436
yeah, that might have to be what I do. I just have the WORST penmanship, and would prefer to have everything typed up on something a little better looking than a plain piece of paper.
>>
>>48993555
One of my players is in a similar situation. She writes by hand at the table and then transcribes her notes after a session is over into a document she can view on her phone in later sessions.

As much as I dislike players looking at devices during game time, it's nice to have someone around who takes good notes and can recall them easily.
>>
>>48993383
>>48993414

yeah, I figure either the DM has made a sort of light, pseudo dating-sim for the 'encounter' where I'll need to pass x amount of checks or select the right dialog options, or, more likely, I'll just need to RP something that makes the table laugh.

I like that neverwinter line, even though that's not where we're at. I'll retool it though and make it work. Thanks!

any well-known creatures that have multiple tails? I could probably work a solid pun there too.
>>
>>48993485
yeah, it's been pretty fun! My character is actually one I've pulled from another campaign another member of our group DM'd that took place between the Anauroch desert and Silverymoon. It's been a lot of fun reprising a character like this, for sure.
>>
Got two high level rogues finding all my traps cause they just spam trap check every 5 feet.

Is it cheap and assholeish if I just make a super hidden trap to slap their shit.

I'm getting really tired of it.
>>
>>48993874
Do something to limit it perhaps? something like magical darkness.
>>
File: 1472087796993.webm (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472087796993.webm
1MB, 480x360px
>ywn be able to do webm related
>>
>>48993895
I'm gonna hit them with an illusion floor and a cavern full of giant lobsters.

Fuck them.
>>
>>48993874
That takes time. Something in your dungeons or whatever should become aware of them somehow if they're traveling that slow.

Also I like the double layered trap. The trigger for a trap further ahead is disabling the trap ahead of it.
>>
>>48993874
Don't do that style of traps, or at least not as much? One of AngryGM's decent articles was on traps, I never used traps really but it made me feel less bad about it:
http://theangrygm.com/traps-suck/

Or just do the player skill thing, don't enable them to disarm or find a trap just by making a check, at most it should give them a hint.
>>
>>48993874
So don't let them find the traps. Just describe something as off. Instead of saying 'you find a trap on a floor tile', you instead describe how part of the floor looks 'wrong' on close inspection.

Don't let the skill solve the problem, just let the skill give the player the information he needs to try and solve the problem.
>>
So my BBEG is going to be a fallen demigod, a Solar would fit but it's too weak. Is there anything even stronger that fits with the theme?
>>
>>48994124
Just buff him yourself.

Nerf or buff him on the fly if he is too strong/weak
>>
Planning on making alien rock from the Far Realm a recurring problem in my campaign, as a result of a Cosmic Pact warlock gaining a divine boon of sorts from Dendar allowing her to manifest in small ways in the world.

My question is, would identifying the meteorites' origin be religion or arcana check?
>>
Has anyone tried adapting the old spelljammer stuff to 5e?

Does it fit well?
>>
>>48994229
Int checks are to recall information right? So if it's something they couldn't know then they don't even make the check. Where a meteor came from would probably be history or arcana, depending on which of those best covers science as it would be determined by the types of substances in it, identifying them, and placing where it's most likely to have come from from that.
>>
>>48994124
Empyrean
>>
Amyway some people got Storm King earlier so details are coming.
>>
>>48994318

Yeah, that makes sense, but since I'm sort of using it as a religious artifact, I was thinking religion would fit for being able to sense that its' emanating energy from the Far Realm.

I don't think they'd be able to identify any of the substances in the rock as its' completely alien.
>>
>>48994124
Look at some of the demon princes in Out of the Abyss. Graz'zt's stat block with a little tweaking could fit a fallen demigod.
>>
>New sesh starting soon
>Party so far will be a half-orc empty hand monk, dwarf totem barbarian, elf druid (don't know path yet), and tiefling sorc

I'm tempted to play a warlock or a rogue but i feel like i'm obligated to be the cleric in this situation. any suggestions
>>
>>48994387
Depends on how you do stats I think. I use Charisma as a measure of how able they are to interact with the metaphysical (mostly souls) so if something was from the far realm I'd have them do an insight or investigation check using charisma, I think. By default I'm not sure if there is such a stat, maybe wisdom for innate magical knowledge, or intelligence if there are some visible signs you can interpret. Maybe have some meteors have goo, tentacle fossils, idk, that after fighting some enemies from the far realm they recognize and connect the dots?
>>
>>48994569
bard it up son
time to play one
>>
The valor bard seems really weak compared to other gishes, are there any tricks to beefing it up?
>>
>>48994569
There's no need to cleric with a druid in the party friendo. That said, arcane trickster, bard, and bladelock would all fit as the fifth guy in that party.
>>
>>48994569
The sorc should already be duo-buffing the barb and monk/druid if moon, and druids get nice healing spells that he can use to recover from fights. Bard and thief add a bit of healing and do other cool stuff, unless the sorc is full utility or something (which he shouldn't) then warlock will kind of compete with him as a magical damage dealer.
>>
>>48994633
In what way do you think it's weak? Bard is one of the strongest classes in the game regardless of archetype.
>>
File: sp00ky.jpg (110KB, 712x732px) Image search: [Google]
sp00ky.jpg
110KB, 712x732px
Besides giant snakes, what can I add to a series of Yuan-ti encounters in my campaign?
>>
>>48994727
eggshell golem
nagas
reskinned hydra
slave races
a slaad ala lizard kings whfb
shed skin type psuedo-lich
weird reskinned version of the multi-armed demon but with rattle arms
snake handlers
cultists
medusa
>>
>>48994719
Well he gets martial weapons and extra attacks but there is nothing else to enhance his attacks. He feels more like a mage that can melee as a backup rather than a genuine fight-bard.
>>
>>48994727
slaves of other races

creatures typically created by summoning spells if any of the yuan-ti are casters
>>
>>48989037
Tell him to fuck off, you pussy-ass millennial.
>>
>>48994794
Use magical secrets to back up his martial prowess. Also Combat Inspiration doesn't make his own attacks stronger, but it does make other people's attacks stronger. It's almost like granting people superiority dice.
>>
>>48994820
epic
>>
>>48994794
That's why you get something like elemental weapon or swift quiver
Also a lot of bard spells do get interesting shit for fighting.
>>
>>48994792
>>48994808
Thanks bros.
>>
>>48994864
If you do include a medusa, consider adding animated statues to the roster using the bodies of past victims.
>>
>>48990052

>Never believed in gods
>Watched a Dwarf whom called an avian god a "Magical Chicken" one too many times while drunk, besmirching its name

>Proceeded to get erased from existence.
>>
>>48994857
>>48994840
I never even considered a bow-bard. I'll definitely do that and get swift quiver.
>>
>>48994972
Lightning arrow might help too as a ranged smite-like spell.
>>
I got a hard drive problem on my laptop and lost all my shit. I'm trying to rebuild my collection of pdf and I'm missing a certain homebrew that has a playable sentient object race. Does that ring any bell for anyone? The basics of the race was that they had a host, whose stats were overriden by your characters and acted as purely cosmetic puppets.
>>
>>48992674
Buy barding it's worth it if you have the gold.
>>
>>48995792
Is it possible to fit a snake for studded leather? I'd totally be on board for getting armor for my animal companion.
>>
>>48995728
That sounds like that ghost homebrew, haven't seen an actual item though, just constructs and weird semi-humanoid things.
>>
>>48995878
RAW, yes. The image is silly as hell but I'd allow it.
>>
>>48995878
I think it would have to be a big snake, but that sounds hilarious and I'd totally go for it.
>>
>>48995905
Actually, sage advice said that animals can only benefit from barding if their statblock said they had that armor proficiency.
But then, the warhorse's statblock doesn't have armor proficiency, nor does any monster ever. So clearly none benefit from armor, including warhorses with their barding variant sidebar.
Cool, huh?
>>
>>48995879
Damn.
From what I remember it was kinda like that one demon sword from Wakfu.
>>
>>48995952
I'd say to ask your DM. If what >>48995953 said is accurate ask your DM to let you train them in armor proficiency. also remember encumbrance rules.
>>
>>48995953
The actual verdict is that it's up to the DMs, by RAW and RAI. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/29/do-animals-need-proficiency-in-that-type-of-armor-to-avoid-penalties/

I think most DMs would either let battle-trained animals be proficient or let the rangers train them after a short time to use it.
>>
>>48995953
I remember realizing that animals don't need proficiency and can just all get full plate, but proficiency is an abstract concept there for mechanical balance anyway so I don't really see a problem with it.
>>
So can all magic staves, rods, crystal balls etc. be used a foci? I got a crystal ball that can suck people's souls out but reading the description for foci saying they are made to replace materials my GM said it would not count as a focus. Now I'm the GM and I'm looking up some magic items, and none of them say they can be used as foci. Is it just assumed and we did it wrong that time?
>>
>>48996050
Plate still has to be fitted for the animal, and that would make it more costly to make and of little use of the animal dies and you need to replace it.

That seems like an appropriate drawback to allow plate barding.
>>
>>48996128
Not sure about the RAW of the matter but nothing is being hurt by letting you use them as arcane foci.

It's at least RAI. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/08/can-a-wizard-use-a-magic-wand-as-her-arcane-focus/
>>
>>48996128
Any staff can be a focus.

>>48996165
It's a little silly to rule it any other way but this.
>>
Are there any good resources for airships or vehicle combat in general?
>>
>>48995905
>>48996018
Awesome. When it comes time to make him I'll bring it up to my DM. I'm sure he would allow it if it's not an AL game. I play both AL and home games.

>>48995952
It is a giant poisonous snake, which is medium size. Considering what creatures fall into medium, he would be pretty large.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no, "Summon at your own risk!" spell, the opens a gate to a creature, but offers no other protection against it?
>>
>>48996333
There's stuff like that in the "That Old Black Magic" UA.
>>
>>48996333
Gate has an option like that. Conjure Elemental and Conjure Fey sort of work like that if you lose concentration before the spell's duration ends.
>>
>>48996333
Planar Ally doesn't actually force the creature to do anything
>>
I don't like that my players can identify magic items so easily. Just a first level, ritual, spell, and poof--no more wondering about this magical artifact they just discovered....
>>
>>48996585
So have the wizard's mind be blown when he identifies the artifact and be incapable of actually articulating what he saw.
>>
>>48996585
Some of the cursed items in the DMG don't reveal their curses to Identify. What's to say you can't put something on your items that prevents Identify from revealing all the artifact's secrets?
>>
>>48996585
Why would you want it to be otherwise? Do you enjoy wasting everyone's time and enjoyment with mundane garbage like that
If you want to add a special unique item that may play a role in story or something, you can just make it so that it requires some kind of special magic for identify, so they go seek a wizard who can do it
>>
>>48996585
Our DM has some magical items "hurt" to try studying.

We just know they're they're magical and freak the fuck out sometimes, so we have to find an expert or follow rumours. Our wizard had to do a CON check trying to study the item when something made it go crazy, and he didn't get a good enough roll to study what was happening.

I'd save that type of work for interesting items that are plot related, not stuff they might actually have current use for. Otherwise you kind of diminish arcane checks and spells, which will render some characters useless in areas they'd be helpful with otherwise.
>>
If a cleric that used Turn Undead drops unconscious, are the turned creatures still turned?
>>
>>48987644
check out the dice, camera, action stream from wotc. chris perkins runs the lich as an absent minded but helpful guy. he doesn't know anything anymore so he doesn't know any better. he just kind of shares what he knows and what he doesn't know, including his lack of name etc.
>>
>>48988276
this anon knows what their talking about.
>>
Got SKT early feels good man. This book has some amazing art.
>>
>>48997196
scan please
>>
>>48997213
Too busy im sure some other kind friend will scan for you guys.
>>
If you're completely new to table top, is it normal for people you play with that are somewhat more experienced to be really unhelpful?

They helped me a little with figuring out the dice rolls and character building but I was only given a week to figure out everything. One player kind of gets angry I don't know my class inside out. Another new guy joined after me and I've tried helping him figure out the basics more based on what I've figured out and that seems to piss the guy off too.
>>
No, are you just playing with randoms at the Game store?
>>
>>48997269
Obviously not. Tabletop and roleplay in general are suposed to be enjoyed with friendly people. If experienced guys are being douches, actively tell them to help or fuck off. If the DM isn't helping either, I suggest finding a different group. Not everyone who plays roleplaying games actively is a dick.
>>
>>48997416
No, a group of people. I'm friends with some of them, even the guy whose being a bit of a prick.

>>48997434
I don't really know anyone else who does this stuff. It's fun, just some of the rules or spell descriptions are a little confusing to me. When I first started I'd try to get people to help me understand some of my spell descriptions but they wouldn't... so I ended up damaging my own team and they all admitted they knew it would happen. They just wanted me to make an idiot of my character for some reason. I play more cautiously now and the new guy is also new to tabletop at least.

Just wasn't sure if "trial by fire" is some sort of common mentality with players. Glad to hear it's not normal.
>>
>>48997196

Honestly I love the cover. It seems to be full of great art from the copy I flipped through real fast. Also saw the final magic item which is... quite a doozy.

>>48997269

No, that dude is just being an asshole.
>>
Dancer Bard coming back around again. This time, I'm trying to base it on maneuver like dances that give bonuses in an area around the bard for a turn.
Looking for balance or formatting feedback, names, a level 6th ability, and more styles.
>>
>>48997269
I found that kind of attitude more prevalent at Pathfinder tables than anywhere else. Also, every Pathfinder game I've been to has a dude at the table with a pedo-mustache.
>>
File: cB28ey.jpg (273KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cB28ey.jpg
273KB, 1920x1080px
I'd like to ask for some advice on familiars; what reasons are there to use any of them but the Owl when playing a wizard?
>>
>>48997196
It doesn't have to be scans, but decent pictures of the pages with the magic items and/or bestiary would be amazing.
>>
>>48997860
Because my mouse Mr. Nibbets is my partner in crime and he is afraid of flying.
>>
does an at using booming blade also get to sneak attack if they meet the other requirements
>>
>>48998063

Yup.
>>
>>48998072
noice
>>
>>48997860
dig speed, higher stealth score, or mimicry. thats about it
iirc one of the other birds has like, 1 higher perception also
>>
>>48997860
Harvesting poison from a snake familiar.
>>
>>48998174
>>48998174
>>48998174
>>48998174
since page 10, have a new thread
>>
>>48997269
bruh you had a week to read like two to five pages

in past editions yea it's hard to figure shit out. In 5e you don't have any excuses

but that dude does just sound like a cunt
Thread posts: 369
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.