[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which aspects of the Norse mythology are often neglected?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 11

File: e8wzkakcjwxxwpy7u46w.jpg (76KB, 700x348px) Image search: [Google]
e8wzkakcjwxxwpy7u46w.jpg
76KB, 700x348px
Which aspects of the Norse mythology are often neglected?
>>
>>48983454
Alot of it. Especially the philosophical concepts like Inangard and Utangard.
>>
Male gods turning into female creatures or dressing as women
>muh manly norsemen
>>
>>48983610
Loki vs Zeus: Ultimate degenerate contest
WHO WINS?!
>>
>>48983621
Add Odin to the mix, he was such a degenerate he got kicked out of Valhalla. Odin was a massive prick apparently.

Loki is the anti god when he does it its excusable.
>>
>>48983670
>Leave Odin and Zeus to fight
>Later come to Odin sucking zeus off
>What'cha doing odin?
>Magic.
>>
>>48983670
Asgard not Valhalla. Also take everything you read about Norse mythology with a grain of salt. Because most of it comes from things Snorri Sturlisson wrote.The guy was a christian and when comparing to older material show that he altered or made up stuff to fit his views.
>>
>>48983682
>He wasn't trve kvlt!
>My aryan gods weren't perfect 100% like the movies

Fuck off, they're better this way.
>>
Perhaps the spiritual concepts of jarls and thralls and the true meaning of runes
>>
>>48983454
Odin drinking semen from dead men. For POWER.
>>
>>48983682
Norse folk hated their gods.
>>
Valhalla isn't heaven. It's a recruiting program for a suicide mission.
>>
File: Whitest of the Aesir.png (693KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Whitest of the Aesir.png
693KB, 1280x720px
>>48983454
That they were all white
>>
>>48983621
Zeus fucked women while disguised as animals.

Loki fucked animals while disguised as women.

I dunno, I kinda think Loki wins this one.
>>
>>48983786
Yeah but someone has to do it, or when ragnorok comes we won't have a chance. Besides, don't they get to drink and fuck around until ragnorok anyhow?
>>
>>48983798
>Loki gets reamed by Zeus
>Odin walks in
THIS SITCOM WRITES ITSELF!
Make the asshole neighbor who never shows up muhammed.
>>
>>48983454
The sense of all is doomed, but we must fight on none the less,
>>
>>48983825
And Jesus can be the retardedly polite mailman or some shit
>>
>>48983840
He is the X-man, mailman, gasman, electrician, plumber, milkman, policeman, fireman.

This is never addressed.
>>
>>48983621
>Zeus
>fucks women all day
>fucks his sisters but whatever
>Loki
>lets a horse fuck him
>gives birth
>>
>>48983491
>Inangard and Utangard
I have no idea what this even is and google didn't help either.

Help?
>>
>>48983690
I prefer the not Christianized version. The Norse didn't believe that worthiness or unworthiness would determine where you would go. You die you go to Helheim where you'd live normally until what makes you you is reincarnated into your great grandson while the rest of you becomes an elf. Unless you where unlucky and caught the Valkyries attention. They where called choosers of the slain for a reason.

>>48983779
Where do you get this from?
>>
>>48983889
Innangard and Utangard are the Norse version of Order and Chaos. Innangard means within the enclosure and represents order. Utangard means beyond the enclosure and represents chaos. Heres a link to where I first found out about them. http://norse-mythology.org/concepts/innangard-and-utangard/
>>
>>48983943
Very cool site. Guess I have some reading to do
>>
>>48983943
>Innangard means within the enclosure and represents order. Utangard means beyond the enclosure and represents chaos.
So, Indo-European dragon slaying myth?
>>
>>48983682
Apart from the introduction and epilogue to Snorri's Edda we're not really sure if it's accurate or not. It's possible that all of it is accurate and that the introduction and epilogue was written as an excuse to the church. It's also possible that he rewrote large parts of it. We tend to think of it as more or less accurate, however.
>>
>>48983790
Heimdall was actually called the White God because he was a sun deity. Besides, it's not like Marvel's Thor ever claimed to be an accurate representation of Norse mythology, and I think Idris did a good job portraying Heimdall as an ever watchful warrior and protector of order.
>>
>>48983454
That they were all actually shit at fighting.
>>
>>48984205
I was more pissy that they completely ignored the "Heimdall is Sif's brother" possible plot point.
>>
>>48984209
That's the opposite of mythology.
>>
>>48983454

Only half the worthy slain went to Valhalla.

Odin cut a deal with Freya that the other half ended up at her hall Folkvangr. Since Folkvangr was ruled by a Goddess of War, Magic and Sex you'd think that it would be a popular destination but neo-pagan types seem pretty silent about the prospect of going to an afterlife run by a girl.
>>
File: Odin.png (60KB, 505x200px) Image search: [Google]
Odin.png
60KB, 505x200px
>>48983676
>>48983773
Need that juice for mana
>>
>>48984220
>Since Folkvangr was ruled by a Goddess of War, Magic and Sex
Also fertility and the most beautiful in all the realms, who's pretty open to casual sex.

Also whores herself out to dwarves for gold, though, so there's that.
>>
>>48983454
That time Loki tried to cheer up the daughter of a guy he killed by tying his balls to a goat and playing tug of war with it.
>>
>>48984233
[Shaizou] Odin wa zeus no seimun no wakashizaku (Odin and Zeus' semen adventure) [Yaoi][Eng][Censored]
>>
>>48983454
>You love norse mythology
>You don't like norse/northern european names and prefer eastern european.

What can you do?
>>
>>48984240
Gold doesn't grow on tress, man, even if you have to do some wood working to get it.
>>
>>48983454
That Thor was a giant racist and would fly into a fit of rage at even the sight of a giant, even if he was a guest in the gods' halls, and interrupted Baldr's funeral to push a dwarf into the fire.
>>
File: 1446708689980.jpg (12KB, 197x202px)
1446708689980.jpg
12KB, 197x202px
>>48984258
Fantastic.
>>
>>48984252
I get the feeling that loki is the biggest bro in norse myth and they just shit on him cause they're jealous of how laid back he is
>>
>>48984273
Use Eastern European inspired names in a Northern European inspired setting?
>>
>>48984273
Kievan Rus.
>>
File: 1471396915001s.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1471396915001s.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>48984273
The simplest solution is often the correct one
>>
>>48983454
Gay sex gives you super powers.
>>
>>48984281
It's quite possible that there, at least originally, were two different Lokis in Norse myth. Loki that lived in Valhalla, and Utgarda-Loki who appears by that name in only one saga and tricks Thor, Loki and two children to participate in rigged contests such as wrestling with old age, out eating fire, and lifting the Midgard serpent out of the sea.

It may simply be that these two characters became mixed up with each other.
>>
>>48984280
two burly bearded men having gay sex for 50 pages.
>>
>>48984342
Loki and Evil Twin Loki with a goatee.
>>
>>48984273
Eastern mythology is basically just norse mythology -- what tiny little we know, at any rate.
>>
>>48984342
I remember that story. But the one I read had loki and thor being tricked by some lord of giants type of guy.
>>
>>48984425
Yes. Utgarda-Loki is that Lord of Giants guy's name.
>>
>>48984398
No one remembers slavic myth anymore? Kinda sad
>>
>>48984447
Unlike Norse, Greek, or even Finnish mythology it was never written down, or at least not in a text that has survived.
>>
>>48983682
That goes for most if not all religious textes, cool stories to tell at a camp fire and getting a message across.
Mostly for entertainment tho.
>>
File: 1462151178720.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1462151178720.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>>48983454
>mjollnir's handle
>that long

There you go. It was literally a fucking plot point that the haft was incomplete.
>>
>>48984527
>Mostly for entertainment tho.
...And philosophical discussion.

It's not all parables and propaganda. You've got to have your Councils of Nicaea, too.
>>
>>48984215
Early concepts had Sif as black (Idris Elba is a friend of Kenneth Branagh so his was locked into the role from very early stages), but later they were scrapped when Jamie Alexander was cast
>>
File: Thor-2.jpg (8MB, 5120x3407px) Image search: [Google]
Thor-2.jpg
8MB, 5120x3407px
>>48984557
But a longer handle is so much cooler anon.
>>
>>48984215
people of different races can still be raised together or literal kin
>>
>>48984614
Anon, they ignored it. There is zero mention of it even existing in the movies. Not even an implication or wink-wink-nudge. No raising together, no literal kin.
>>
>>48984287
Russian vikings?
>>
>>48985630
Early russians were a strange mix of slavs and scadinavians to begin with
>>
File: thors brudefærd.jpg (45KB, 685x641px) Image search: [Google]
thors brudefærd.jpg
45KB, 685x641px
>party must cross dress as women to infiltrate the baddies lair to complete the quest

Norse mythology is generally the mythological equivalent of the Hangover.
>>
>>48984293
Dis
>>
>>48983798

Loki got fucked by a horse while disguised as a female horse.

Then he birthed an eight-legged horse.

And then Odin got it and he rides it as his mount.

Odin rides around on his horse-grandson.
>>
>>48984240
Not just gold, rad as fuck dwarven made gold jewelry.
>>
>>48984209
>the vikings sucked at fighting
>that's why they conquered huge swathes of britain multiple times and settled all willy nilly across europe and successfully took and raided cities like Paris until they were paid to leave
>>
>>48985748
Odin is Loki's sworn brother, not father
>>
File: 1468113519584.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1468113519584.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>48985699
Mah niggah! I remember that comic! That shit was my childhood!
>>
>>48985778
>Vikings were good at fighting
>That's why the lost vs iberians
Look kid, if you lose vs iberians you basically can't fight your way out of a paperbag.
>>
>>48985820
Then what do you call someone who loses to people who lose to wet paperbags?
>>
>>48985828
English
>>
>>48985828
Muslim
>>
The boring parts that arent VIKINGS! (TM)
>>
>>48985862
Cute. As we all know, the English were all wimps, and that's why everyone speaks Norwegian, especially on the internet and this Filipino origami website.
>>
>>48985820
Iberia was tough as shit. Have you heard of the Romans, and the hell they went through trying to quell the unholy celt/God-knows-what-else hybrid that lived there?

Have you heard of our lord and saviour, the falcata?
>>48985862
A L F R E D

Also, for a fair while England owned more of France than France.
>>
>>48986378
Makes sense. I mean, a bunch of whatever sitting around on a wet island minding their own business, doing druid magic and fucking sheep.
>suddenly ruman cultural enrichment
>then saxon, jute and anglo enrichment
>then danes and norwgians
>then normans

Ain't gonna be no wimps left after all that. Then again, after all this they proceeded to get bitch slapped around until they serioused the fuck up and revolutionized naval and state organization. That's really where they took off and became properly relevant. Watch the documentary series "Empire of the Seas", pretty cool stuff.
>>
>>48986739
A bunch of Goths settled there too.

>>48986739
K N U D

Also, for a fair while English kings were more French than English.
>>
>>48986777
Hell, they were more Danish than English for a time too.
>>
With the exemption of Loki punishment, many adaptations often overlook how vengative people are in Norse myths. The norae might as well have invented "vengance is best served cold" because they practiced just that.
>>
>>48986805
I think their thing was more vengeance is a dish best served with a sided of their own entrails.
>>
>>48983454

The part were Thor accidentally rapes Loki one time when he was disguised as a woman.

I can't imagine how awkward the following family dinner must have been for them in Odin's hall...
>>
>>48987185
Well at least they aren't biological brothers.

Imagine if Loki had a child from that...
>>
>>48987185
>So son, I heard you fucked your uncle.
>... He was my aunt at the time.
>>
>>48986805
The Icelander Sagas gives some great insight into Norse society and culture, and they're avaiable for free on the web so there's absolutely no reason to not read them even.

One of my favorites is this part from Egil's Saga
>Skallagrim then became so strong and he caught up Thord and dashed him down so violently that he was all bruised and at once got his bane. Then he seized Egil. Now there was a handmaid of Skallagrim's named Thorgerdr Brak, who had nursed Egil when a child; she was a big woman, strong as a man, and of magic cunning. Said Brak:

>'Dost thou turn they shape-strength, Skallagrim, against thy son?'

>Whereat Skallagrim let Egil loose, but clutched at her. She broke away and took to her heels with Skallagrim after her. So went they to the utmost point of Digra-ness. Then she leapt out from the rock into the water. Skallagrim hurled after her a great stone, which struck her between the shoulders, and neither ever came up again. The water there is now called Brakar-sound. But afterwards, in the evening, when they came home to Borg, Egil was very angry. Skallagrim and everybody else were set at table, but Egil had not yet come to his place. He went into the fire-hall, and up to the man who there had the overseeing of work and the management of moneys for Skallagrim, and was most dear to him. Egil dealt him his deathblow, then went to his seat. Skallagrim spoke not a word about it then, and thenceforward the matter was kept quiet. But father and son exchanged no word good or bad, and so that winter passed.
>>
>>48987185
Mythology in general tends to be weird by modern standards. It's not limited to the Norse.
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/texts/horus_and_seth.htm

>Now afterward, (at) evening time, bed was prepared for them, and they both lay down. But during the night, Seth caused his phallus to become stiff and inserted it between Horus's thighs. Then Horus placed his hands between his thighs and received Seth's semen. Horus went to tell his mother Isis: "Help me, Isis, my mother, come and see what Seth has done to me."
And he opened his hand(s) and let her see Seth's semen. She let out a loud shriek, seized the copper (knife), cut off his hand(s) that were equivalent. Then she fetched some fragrant ointment and applied it to Horus's phallus. She caused it to become stiff and inserted it into a pot, and he caused his semen to flow down into it.

>And Isis added the semen of Horus onto it. Seth returned according to his daily habit and ate the lettuce, which he regularly ate. Thereupon he became pregnant with the semen of Horus.

>Then Thoth, lord of script and scribe of truth for the Ennead, put his hand on Horus's shoulder and said: "Come out, you semen of Seth."
And it answered him from the water in the interior of the marsh. Thoth put his hand on Seth's shoulder and said: "Come out, you semen of Horus."
Then it said to him: "Where shall I come from?"
Thoth said to it: "Come out from his ear."
Thereupon it said to him: "Is it from his ear that I should issue forth, seeing that I am divine seed?"
Then Thoth said to it:"Come out from the top of his head."
And it emerged as a golden solar disk upon Seth's head. Seth became exceeding furious and extended his hand(s) to seize the golden solar disk. Thoth took it away from him and placed it as a crown upon his (own) head. Then the Ennead said: "Horus is right, and Seth is wrong."
>>
>>48983454
Valkyries are assholes.
>>
>>48988537
Everyone is an asshole in Norse myth. Odin is an asshole. Thor is an asshole. Loki is an asshole. As a rule of thumb, whenever one of the Aesir think that they can get away with being a humongous ballsack, they will inevitably act like a humongous ballsack.
>>
>>48987946
Egil's saga really shows what absolute niggers vikings were.
>>
>>48989086
It's only natural, really. In a society where there is no institution to uphold law, order and justice it becomes each man's responsibility to protect himself and his family, and one of the best ways to do so under such circumstances is to show constantly that you are not to be fucked with.
>>
File: 1469919549997.png (82KB, 274x345px) Image search: [Google]
1469919549997.png
82KB, 274x345px
>>48984258
>>
>>48984258
My forbidden lore check seems to have failed.
The panda seems to have nothing from Shaizou
>>
Personally, I think the divide between the Aesir and Vanis is neglected in a lot of pop culture Norse-lite fantasy.
>>
>>48989446
The distinction isn't really clear a lot of the time, just as it isn't between Aesir and Jötnar and Elves and Dwarves. They all have similar powers, and they often change shapes. It would almost seem that they are just different families or tribes but of the same race.
>>
>>48988705
Except Baldr, but he's a dead asshole.
>>
>>48989492
Generally, Vanir are the "soft" gods, fertility, harvest and second sight, whereas the Æsir are the simpler physical ones.
>>
>>48983454
Loki is not Odin's son. In fact they are more like brothers, or so says Odin himself.
>>
>>48989759
The thing is, that isn't entirely accurate either. Thor was, for example, in large part also a fertility deity, and the Vanir in turn were no strangers to war.
>>
>>48985778
>settled all willy nilly across europe
Except for England they never did that. There was 1 successful siege of Paris and then it all went downhill for them in continental Western Europe
>>
>>48989759
>>48989901
And also, the Aesir was rarely simple and not always physical. Odin, for example, was a god of death, and also of magic, knowledge, poetry, frenzy, and is the creator of the runic alphabet.
>>
>>48989978
Odin 't wasn't inherently a mage though, it was stolen knowledge, rituals, bargains and sacrifice that bought hims his magic and insight.
>>
>>48989975
You know the story of Normandy?
>>
>>48990045
>king of France beats of the xth viking invasion
>makes the leader of this invasion his vassal, to fend off other vikings for him
Yes, I know it pretty well
>>
>>48988705
>Everyone is an asshole in Norse myth. Odin is an asshole. Thor is an asshole. Loki is an asshole. As a rule of thumb, whenever one of the Aesir think that they can get away with being a humongous ballsack, they will inevitably act like a humongous ballsack.

You think it's maybe because they all know there's a giant war in the future where they all die, so no one gives a fuck about right now?
>>
>>48983454
The gay stuff.
Thor basically being a good-hearted retarded manchild who always gets one-upped by Odin/Loki.
All of the gods except Thor being assholes to various degrees.
>>
>>48990139
I think it's probably more likely that the gods are that way because people are that way.
>>
>>48990151
>All of the gods except Thor being assholes
>except Thor
Dude. I don't know how to tell you this, but Thor is totally an asshole. Specifically a racist asshole who will attack and kill giants and dwarves on sight simply because he thinks it's fun, regardless of the circumstances.
>>
>>48989492
I didn't mean the "biological" divide, I meant the feuding between their houses.
>>
>>48988128
>...wat.
What is even going on here. Is there some cultural nuisance I'm missing?
>>
>>48990204
So he's an Ogryn then.
>>
>>48990898
Most ancient cultures thought semen had magical properties. The Egyptians in particular seem to have had a real fixation with it, considering that they believed that the entire world was the cum of one of their gods.
>>
>>48990965
>YFW the norse mythology was revised to fit sensitive sensibilities and the original story had Ymir suckling a bull instead of a cow.
>>
>>48990948
He hunts trolls too. He will plant Mjölnir in the head of pretty much anything that isn't human or an Aesir on sight. Vanir might be fine too.

The other gods rarely try to stop him. I can only remember it happening once when the giant in question was a guest in Asgard.
>>
>>48987455
Or brothers at all. It's Mahvel's idea that Loki is Odin's adopted son
>>
>>48983846
He's just a vaguely brown dude who does all the odd job, best at carpentry.
>>
>>48984281
He did steal Sif's hair then welch on a bet immediately after. Then kill a fellow god just to be a dick and refuse to help get him resurrected.
>>
>>48990965
And that Sobek was born after Horus jerked it into Anubis' salad.
>>
>>48984220
That sounds pretty sweet. What's the daily routine like in Folkvangr? Iirc Valhalla is pork, Mead, and fighting 24/7.

I assume that the warriors of Folkvangr would have similar duties once Ragnarok rolls around.
>>
>>48984276
I read what I think was a bowdlerised version where 'his grief was too great' and he accidentally kicked the dwarf onto the pyre or something.
>>
>>48993640
Not much information about Fólkvangr has been preserved. It seems that it's pretty much Valhalla but ruled by Freya rather than Odin.
>>
>>48993757
After all this talk of semen magic, i'm imagining the Folkvangr warriors engaging in arcane seminal rituals to become mighty spellswords.

We're Folkvangr/Valhalla strictly blokes only? That was the impression I got of Valhalla, as a kid
>>
>>48994033
>We're

This is what I get for phoneposting
>>
>>48994033
>We're Folkvangr/Valhalla strictly blokes only?
Yes, and specifically only for warriors. The Folk- part of Folkvangr is commonly understand to mean 'army'. Most people instead went to Hel.
>>
>>48983454
that one part where Odins horse Sleipnir was birthed by Loki when he took the form of a mare and got fucked by a stallion.

That other part where the first gods/giants were the living droplets of armpit sweat of the giant Ymir. These hooligan sweat drops then promptly killed him and used godly taxidermy to turn his body parts into the world.

Shall I go on?
>>
>>48984205
>>48983790

A sun deity isn't black... I don't even. If he *IS* a sun, then he's going to be spending all day getting tanned. Nigga is gonna turn black eventually. Superior resistance to the sun.
>>
>>48994033
Semen (and magic in general) made you more feminine, thus making you a worse warrior, as seen in that cap up thread.
>>
Interesting.

http://veekyforums.com/thread/48983454/games/which-aspects-of-the-norse-mythology-are-often.html
>>
>>48994147
My favorite part about the story where Loki gets fucked by the horse was the reason for why he got into that situation to begin with.

A builder comes to the gods and says that he can build a wall for them around Midgard so big and strong that no giants will ever be able to scale or break it, and that he will be able to do this in no more than three seasons. As payment he wants Freya. The gods agree, provided that no man helps him and that if he's not finished in three seasons they don't have to pay him anything.

Oops. Turns out the builder has a magic horse and it seems he will be able to actually uphold his part of the deal. The gods all decide that it's Loki's fault that they might have to pay for this wall and tells him to sabotage the construction.

>The gods agreed that he must have counselled this who is wont to give evil advice, Loki Laufeyarson, and they declared him deserving of an ill death, if he could not hit upon a way of losing the wright his wages; and they threatened Loki with violence. But when he became frightened, then he swore oaths, that he would so contrive that the wright should lose his wages, cost him what it might.

So Loki takes the shape of a mare and lures the stallion into the woods so that he can get some horse cock.

The builder sees that he can't possibly finish the wall now and becomes angry in a way that only giants can. The Aesir sees this and realises that the builder was a giant this whole time so they call on Thor who promptly smashes the giant's head in with his hammer.
>>
>>48994176
Ayy, I liked DC's depiction of Apollo. He was 100% completely black because the Sun basically scorched his skin.
>>
>>48984233
what the actual fuck. source?
>>
>>48994176
>If he *IS* a sun, then he's going to be spending all day getting tanned
Last time I checked the sun looked pretty white.

But on a more serious note, yes. Heimdall in most certainly the sun. His name likely means "The Light of the World", the Eddas tells us his 'head is called sword' which is probably a euphemism for sun beams, his nine mothers were likely the nine waves, which makes sense if you imagine watching the sun rise in the horizon, and in Skaldskaparmál we learn that he and Loki once fought each other in the shape of seals over Freya's necklace Brísingamen - which was also a symbol of the sun. And so on, and so on.
>>
>>48983454
mpreg
>>
>>48984377
Worth.
>>
>>48984209
Like clockwork there is always the Anti-Viking spergs.

Everyone was as shit at fighting as everyone else you cockmongler.

There was not one single "Super awesome great warrior race" who didn't get their shit pushed in constantly.
>>
>>48988705
Actually Thor is probably the least Assholish person in norse mythology besides Tyr and Baldr.
>>
>>48990204
Dude.

Giants and Dwarves are massive bellends in Norse myth.

Or did you forget that one Dwarf who was such a jew he turned into a giant catfish?
>>
>>48984205
Heimdall also invented the class system which includes slavery. So in MCU a black guy invented slavery.
>>
>>48994239
???

explain this
>>
>>48996931
Black on black crime does it again.
>>
>>48994811
Wait, did Loki actually have any part in the initial deal? Or was it just "oh shit, we fucked up, blame Loki"? If so, can see why Loki eventually got fed up with them.
>>
>>48994100
Anyone who drown or died at sea were caught in a net by the sea goddess Ran and taken to Aeger's hall under the ocean to be slaves there.
>>
>>48997173
>>It was early in the first days of the gods' dwelling here, when the gods had established the Midgard and made Valhall; there came at that time a certain wright and offered to build them a citadel in three seasons, so good that it should be staunch and proof against the Hill-Giants and the Rime-Giants, though they should come in over Midgard. But he demanded as wages that he should have possession of Freyja, and would fain have had the sun and the moon. Then the Æsir held parley and took counsel together; and a bargain was made with the wright, that he should have that which he demanded, if he should succeed in completing the citadel in one winter.

They blamed Loki just cause.
>>
>>48983454
I feel like no one ever focuses on the concept of fate and destiny anymore. Shit, everyone knew Loki would fuck them over one day, but they also knew they couldn't avoid it, and he was still fun at parties so what the hell.
>>
>>48984220
> Folkvangr was ruled by a Goddess of War, Magic and Sex
>War Magic and Sex
>Magic and Sex

Are you shitting me? Are you fucking me? Literally the promised land of hookers and blow and no one utters a peep of this? I only just learned about this now, cultural osmosis my ass.
>>
>>48984360
So just like any Bara doujin? I'm guessing because even though I see alot of the covers, I really did not have much interest in actually reading them.
>>
>>48997368
Yeah, the one time I saw in pop culture about this was Odin's Sphere. That game actually addressed the whole destiny gambit and the most important reason why Odin and in part everyone else was okay with how things went, was because at the end of Ragnarok, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The light being that the world will survive and so will at least a small population of humans. In many ways Odin was one of the original example of the Time Traveler's dilemma, or however you like to call his moment of enlightenment.
>>
>>48988128
>just like one of my japanese animus desu!
>>
>>48988128
>mfw I realized that the progenitors of many myths would have been the /d/ of their time
>>
File: 2012-11-30.jpg (269KB, 850x455px) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-30.jpg
269KB, 850x455px
>>48993606
Sure they can tell themselves that
>>
>>48996841
Usually when Dwarves were dicks to the Aesir it was because the Aesir had just been dicks to them. Like when Hreidmar is sort of a dick to them, but only because they killed his son Ótr and demanded treasure from him, and then also stole the one treasure he didn't allow them to take.

And sometimes the Aesir were dicks to them just because. The entirety Alvíssmál, for example, is Thor asking Alvis questions about the world, which Alvis answers. This turns out being Thor stalling because he really wants to see this Dwarf turn into stone when the sun rises.
>>
>>48998586
>and demanded treasure from him, and then also stole the one treasure he didn't allow them to take.
No, wait. I remembered wrong. Hreidmar demanded that they fill every inch of his hall with treasure to make up for killing his son, which the Aesir did but included a cursed ring seemingly just to fuck with him. This ring later caused Hreidmar's remaining sons, Regin and Fafnir, to kill him over it and leads to the tale of Sigurd that we all know.
>>
>>48983454
>Which aspects of the Norse mythology are often neglected?
Dwarfs fuck Elves.
>>
>>48998586
"Oh gosh, oh gosh, I can't wait to see this incredibly wise dwarf turn into a rock. This'll be great!"
>>
>>48998838
To be fair, Thor was really trying to get out of having to marry his daughter to Alvis, whom presumably had been promised to him while Thor was away from home. Thor agreed to give away his daughter if Alvis could answer all of his questions, which he could, but by the end of it the sun was already rising.

This whole, weaseling your way out of deals you set the terms for yourself thing is a really common theme in Nordic myths.
>>
>>48993076
Gets played off as mexican
>>
>>48986739
>Siege city for days
>Months
>years
>They don't give up
>One day wake up
>They just killed everyone on the city overnight to not give us the pleasure of winning
>>
>>48999032
>I speak spanish to god...
>>
>>48998206
Yes, but with more thunder and lightning.

Also loki appears as a fuccboi, tf galore into various monsters and ends up pregnant somehow.
>>
>>48997284
Some versions have the gods be skeptical from the beginning, and Loki is the one who conveniences them it couldn't be done in the given time, hence why they blame him.
>>
>>49000733
That makes more sense, but it's also way more fun to imagine all the Aesir as the scumbaggiest assholes to have ever been concieved.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.