[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help an inexperianced DM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Agony_03.jpg (199KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Agony_03.jpg
199KB, 1200x800px
I recently saw the trailer for Agony. And now I want to run a table top game based on the idea of players becoming denizens of hell, trying to stay sane, avoiding torment, and seeking a way out.

So I have a few questions:

1. I am experienced in playing 3.5/pathfinder, 5th edition, and both world of darkness and Chronicles of darkness. Which would fit best in your opinion my theme for the campaign?

2. I’ve DM’ed in the past, but none of my games last long. Either my players or myself lose interest, or life gets in the way. What can I do to keep interest and momentum going in my games?

3. What are some plot ideas I could start with? I like the idea of keeping the game biblical and occult themed, whilst also making it H. R. Giger’s wet dream.
>>
Bump?
>>
Agony doesn't seem to be a combat oriented game so probably don't use 3.pathfinder or 5th edition. I haven't played either of the Darkness ones but Call of Cthulhu might be a suitable one since it has a very lethal combat system. You could easily tweek the book for your setting and it does have neat sanity meter that you could use. The book has you covered on the occult part too.
>>
>>48979789
Never played CoC, but I always wanted to learn. Is it easy to learn? Which edition do I use?
>>
the best way to keep momentum? stop trying to run novelty settings that will lose their appeal as soon as players get used to the tone.
I understand that running a "everyone is a robot vampire with leprosy" campaign sounds AMAZING in concept, but the games that get to a 40th session are straight forward, mechanically sound fantasy or sci fi that allow players to experience a lot of places and feel like they are in a real world.

Focus your efforts on substance rather than flash.
>>
World of Darkness is perfectly fine.

Keep it short.

They need to go get a thing because it will help them stay sane.
>>
>>48980303
Most of the games I've run so far have been fantasy dungeon crawl stuff that focus on traps and what not. Though I see your point about gimmicky settings. That's why I hoped to use this setting to experiment with better structured games. Its not that I run high concept games all the time, more that I need to grow a bit more than what I have done previously.

Mostly I want to balance Story and stealth, along with some satanic occultism.
>>
Bumpity Bump Bump

Bumpity Bump Bump
>>
>>48979850
It's a pretty easy, while reading it you might want to play a bit more attention to the combat part because characters can die pretty easily. It's actually more about avoiding combat then getting into to it so there is good bit of a stealth element to it.
>>
>>48980698
Would it be very difficult to change the monsters into hellish beast of the pits? Is it as simple as just changing the name or would actually be system fiddling be involved?
>>
>>48980864
The monsters are pretty alien in nature some will be suitable for a Hellish landscape since their home world isn't that different from Hell. Others might look out of place put this can be easily fixed. Don't let your players know exactly what they are fighting. In order to be scary be vague. If you do want them to confront the demons you can use the monsters from 3.5 since they are compatible. Be careful with this though because once again the combat is a lot more lethal in Call of Cthulhu. There are no clerics,no spell users and no tanks and Hp is precious.
>>
File: call.jpg (61KB, 370x475px) Image search: [Google]
call.jpg
61KB, 370x475px
>>48979850
If you are used to playing 3.pathfinder I recommend using the d20 one since they are compatible. The are a bunch of free pdf ones floating around if you are interested.
>>
File: cunt.jpg (35KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
35KB, 640x640px
>>48981080
>Call of Cthulhu
>recommend using the d20
YOU ARE TRUELY WORSE THAN HITLER!
>>
Bump?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.