[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could such a good idea fail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

How could such a good idea fail?
>>
Nobody can play that shit at home, look at the size of that shit.
>>
Man o War did it first and did it better.
>>
>>48976384

Can't you play on the floor?
>>
>>48976357
>How could such a good idea fail?
Who knows? Looks sweet.
>>
I think I remember these things. They were sold in the same foil packets that CCGs use for booster packs, right?
>>
>>48976395
Not if you own animals, or have furniture. Or have a child.
I don't know, that shit looks ridiculously big, and probably takes a lot of time to set up and put away.
>>
>>48976384
Those were convention models
Shit failed because the plastic boats they shat out were hard to make and broke with even the slightest pressure. Some of the later models were better with the stuff they were made on, but some models THOSE FUCKING CHINK SHIPS were still hard to build. The pieces and the dice that came with them were also choking hazards.
Source: I own three boxes of them
>>
File: headgear.jpg (28KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
headgear.jpg
28KB, 425x425px
>>48976489
>choking hazards
>>
>>48976583
Trust me when I say that kids are stupid and will put anything into their mouths
>>
>>48976583
>>48976668
My little motherfucker keeps trying to eat plastic.
>>
>>48976402
>I think I remember these things. They were sold in the same foil packets that CCGs use for booster packs, right?

Yup!

>>48976357
>How could such a good idea fail?

Extremely poor management of the game. They started going too much into fantasy thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean and not enough history. The rules were haphazard and there was this dude, Woelf, who had to continually update this monstrous comprehensive rules for the game. You thought Magic was bad? This game was likely worse.

Wizkids had a knack for turning gold into shit

This game is also how I realized that I had autism. I posted on forums about how the Spanish faction was underpowered and collected all the Spanish ships

>>48976489
The new models (starting with the PotC expansion) had all their masts connected so they were much less likely to break.
>>
>>48976758
Yeah, that's what I mean
But I still have a deep personal hatred of Junks. They were the hardest ones to build and the second most prone to having their masts break just trying to jam them into the tiny ass holes cut in the plastic. Many a sore thumb was begot trying to pinch the sides together without breaking the decimeter thin plastic.

I feel like this idea could be revived with better building materials, streamlined rules, more balanced ships, and no crewmember bits and other pointless bells and whistles so that it's all concentrated on the ships themselves.
>>
>>48976895
>But I still have a deep personal hatred of Junks.

The Junks were definitely the worst of all the ships to build, totally agree with you there. Short stem meant they broke super often. I was excited to pull one of the huge 6 mast ones but it was tough to build! The 10 mast one was awful.

>and no crewmember bits and other pointless bells and whistles so that it's all concentrated on the ships themselves.

I personally liked the crew a lot, it gave the game some really cool personality and differentiated itself from the rest. Also, it had an interested bluffing element to it.

It could definitely have used a good amount of streamlined rules in any case.
>>
Wizards just fucking killed it.

It's a shame because I was really into it, still have a ton of the ships lying around.
>>
I'd honestly love for a company to release something similar. It was pretty damn cool getting the materials for a cheap wargame in a booster pack.
>>
>>48978176
>I'd honestly love for a company to release something similar. It was pretty damn cool getting the materials for a cheap wargame in a booster pack

Sounds Kickstarter worthy to me!
>>
File: 1397180391564.jpg (232KB, 1090x970px) Image search: [Google]
1397180391564.jpg
232KB, 1090x970px
>>48978472
Maybe we should rebuild the rules from the ground up and give each faction their own unique traits, maybe include other factions and groups
Hell, I think I'm starting to get excited at the prospect of making the next plastic-boat-based wargame
>>
>>48976720

Good I hope he chokes to death on it. Then you'll have more time for gaming and will be happier in the end. Children are a mistake.

>inb4 I was, because I was, for my parents. they would have been happier without me.
>>
>>48976357
Needs to be more orky boss.

I'd play an ork pirate board game.
>>
>>48979250
I mean, there were some "orky" ships.
Like one with fucking pincers
And one with a flamethrower
I think there were ships whose sole purpose was to ram into the enemy head-on, keep them stuck, and shoot them point-blank
>>
>>48979147
2edgy4me
>>
>>48978986

Then do it.
>>
>>48979147
3edgy5me
>>
File: 1376361726525.png (313KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
1376361726525.png
313KB, 701x394px
>>48979147
You are the sort of cancer that destroys civilizations.
>>
Bump for fun games that are dead.
>>
>>48976895
>Many a sore thumb was begot trying to pinch the sides together without breaking the decimeter thin plastic.
You mean a millimeter. A decimeter's four inches.
>>
>>48979147
>muh selfish hedonism
VHEMT pls go
>>
>>48976758
>Extremely poor management of the game. They started going too much into fantasy thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean and not enough history.
This was my biggest personal dislike about it, I really enjoyed the first obvious-PotC expansion with Davy Jones and so on, but when they timeskipped it forward to like Jules Verne and shit I tapped out. The American Revolution/Napoleonics stuff could've been a great spinoff but shouldn't have been collected as the same game.

I would've liked it better if they'd expanded in the direction of more fort-type stuff, I guess — more elaborate island types, towns etc. Something that let you play a "sack Port Royal" scenario.
>>
File: DWPE501.jpg (108KB, 580x357px) Image search: [Google]
DWPE501.jpg
108KB, 580x357px
>>48976758
>Game with boats
>poor management

Seems there's a pattern here.
>>
>>48982856
so what went wrong with DW? i know some of my friends played it but I never got into it. it seems to have faded by now.
>>
>>48976357
holy shit I remember these
>>
>>48976357

was this a predecessor to that star wars card game that had little push out and assemble fighters?

because the tie fighters in that were ridiculously easy to break trying to assemble them too.
>>
>>48983970

(continued)

pocket models, thats the ones..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_PocketModel_Trading_Card_Game

looks like it was.
>>
>>48982881
I dunno broadly, but I can tell you why I stopped playing. It wasn't very fun. It was hugely swingy, meaning you'd throw a million dice and get shit, or throw a few dice and get a million explosions and go apeshit. It was...yeah, just not very good.
>>
>>48976384
You think that's how big the regular models were? Are you retarded?
>>
>>48976357
Well, the Armada Invicible didn't expect the storm and his almirant was inexpert as fuck.
>>
>>48976357
More importantly, why are the sails on the left ship just pictures of a forest skyline?
>>
>>48976583
My roommate's cat is a retard that lives to spite Darwin. He'll try to eat anything and everything; plastic bags, leather straps, even LEGOs larger than his head!
>>
>>48976357
Holy shit I remember these. They were basically my first introduction to wargaming hobbies; I collected so many ships, and I still have them lying around somewhere.
I never actually got to play because nobody else was interested in them.
>>
>>48979147
Trying to hard.
>>
>>48976357
I have soooo many of these, even sone of the rarer ones like the Nautilus and Constitution. I loved how the game had win conditiins besides "table the fucker" like a lot of other wargames at the time.
>>
>>48976895
>breaking the mast
You can use normal plastic cement. It fuse them together.
I bought some packs on clearance. And had to glue 2 masts. They feel much harder now.
>>
>>48976720
My nephew's at that age, too. I tried the old "give a baby two-sided tape" trick and that was the solution he attempted.
>>
>>48979147
You're still a child.
>>
>>48988137
Well, 14 year old me didn't know that existed.
I threw away one of the strongest ships I ever owned because of that
>>
>>48989400
"give a baby two-sided tape" trick?
>>
>>48989688
You give a baby a piece of two-sided tape and it's fun to watch because they can't get it off their hands. Suddenly their world grinds to a halt while they attempt to resolve this imponderable riddle.
>>
>>48983985
Pirates predates the Star Wars game for sure.I never did play it. I think there was a space battle game that fit in between Pirates and Star Wars on the time line though.
>>
>>48976357
I still have two tins of those.

If anybody has the stat card for the giant crab, please post it for me. Google hasn't helped and I can't remember the rules for it.
>>
>>48990410
There were several Giant Crabs.
I think they were just the damage dealing monsters, since they couldn't carry loot or have crew (except for one afaik, and that was because some crazy Spanish motherfucker rode it like a bull)
>>
>>48979435
if you can dodge shitlord copyright, don't they still hold the patent on games using similar mini-construction methods?
>>
File: when there are no droids.jpg (9KB, 149x182px) Image search: [Google]
when there are no droids.jpg
9KB, 149x182px
>>48976357
>Star Wars miniatures in the background
>tfw Star Wars the Miniatures Game was cancelled
>>
>>48991419
No, several games use that method. Besides, the company shut down after it got bought out by some other company
>>
>>48991710
That was a thing?
I mean there still if Imperial Assault by FFG.
Technically there is nothing preventing you from using the minis with another rulesystem to play generic wargames set in the SW universe.
The game even has AT-STs.
>>
>>48992556
>That was a thing?
Yep, it was a pre-painted miniature game where you got randomized minis from booster packs.

It was actually really fun, both it and the Pirates game were my introductions to wargaming.

The cool thing about the star wars minis game was that it was all precise - it had a gridded map and all the cover and walls were marked so that there was never arguments over cover and line of sight. It was an ideal tournament wargame if there ever was one.

I'm really surprised they shut it down to be honest
>>
>>48991710
>>48993071

There was this old ass star wars game.

You had prepainted models that were like toys that fired little darts at each other and it was fun as fuck I forgot the name though
>>
>>48979250
I can't imagine any Ork built ship that would actually be capable of floating on water.
>>
>>48993249
Probably Attactix. That was shit Hasbro did with Transformers too, simple as all fuck and sometimes compromising of the figures since you had to make concessions to weapons, limbs, etc. to accommodate those powerful as fuck missiles and other gimmicks.
>>
>>48979147
I know I'm late bit I'm the poster who this chucklefuck responded too
I hope you choke to death on fucking barbed wire so you can finally be as Edgy on the inside as you try to be on the outside you reticulated cock snake.
>>
File: AdvancedReconCommando-GAW.jpg (164KB, 700x754px) Image search: [Google]
AdvancedReconCommando-GAW.jpg
164KB, 700x754px
>>48993071
I remember how I jumped for joy when I opened up a pack and got Grand Master "Motherfucking" Luke Skywalker. Probably the single most powerful unit ever fucking made for the game, so expensive he couldn't even be legally played in 100 point matches because he cost something like 119. I once used him to butcher an entire army of stormtroopers with only rebel fodder for backup.

Good times. Still got all my figures.
>>
>>48976357
>WizKids
How could it succeed?
>>
Someone oughta just do the same exact shit with dirt cheap card models and make it ONLY historical

Maybe just make the masts out of something different, maybe thicker ABS plastic or some shit
>>
If I remember, it actually was relatively successful for a time, but it was WizKids and they fucked up with production if I remember correctly?
I also vaguely remember some sort of design choice in Fire and Steel that signaled to me things were going downhill.

In all seriousness, a collectable game that lasts 15 sets has done really well for itself, all things considering. Definitely wasn't a failure at any rate.
>>
File: Consumer Base.png (8MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Consumer Base.png
8MB, 3072x2304px
>>48976357
>
>>
>>48993429
Orcs can, so it works
>>
>>48993071
Well they released one set of all classic figures with square bases, which pissed off some players. In the end they were not making enough money off the Star Wars licence and decided not to renew it. The game was fantastic, and a great source of models for science fiction games.
>>
File: IMAG0155.jpg (580KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0155.jpg
580KB, 1344x760px
>>48983996
I never had that problem with the game. I keep hearing "muh lone frigate one-shot a battleship", but I've never seen that happen in practice after they nerfed the shit out of the snake-eyes crit effect in 2.0.

>>48982881
Spartan abandoned it and Firestorm to make Halo, and the playerbase has dwindled due to the sensation that Spartan cannot be trusted.
>>
>>48995092
How about cardstock printouts with toothpick masts?
>>
>>48979147
Man, you don't talk shit about someone's kids, you're just a prick.
>>
>>48989640
Ok, thats understandable.
The first glueing, i wasnt sure its the plastic that reacts to the cement.
>>
>>48999172
>natural ressources stronger than plastic
Thats a good idea. Its funny that a toothpick is stronger than most equall plastic forms.
Guess its elastic enough not to break easily. But the plastic needs to be this so you can cut it.
>>
>>48998325
>>48976357

Can we really take a moment and really admire the gorgeous client base. Look at these folks, absolutely, beautiful.
>>
>>48994623
>I remember how I jumped for joy when I opened up a pack and got Grand Master "Motherfucking" Luke Skywalker.

Oh damn, nice dude! I remember I was so pumped when I pulled Darth Bane - him and 2 Sith Troopers equaled out to exactly 100 points. So hard to kill, had like 200 hit points and he hit like a Mack Truck.

Him and Darth Vader Jedi Hunter were my best pieces for sure.

>>48999008
>The game was fantastic, and a great source of models for science fiction games.

Totally agree, I still use a lot of the Rebel and Mercenary figures for playtesting for science fiction games and RPGs I run.

>>49001049
>Can we really take a moment and really admire the gorgeous client base. Look at these folks, absolutely, beautiful.

The most fascinating thing is seeing someone post online and then meeting them in real life or talking with them over skype. You almost can't believe it
>>
>>48976668
And adults walk barefooted a lot...
>>
>>48976357
I was just fucking thinking about this game yesrerday, I couldn't remember the name. I had an enormous collection of boats, including the USS Constitution, and a dope ass ghost ship.
>>
>>48976668
You say that, but there are some things kids just refuse when I offer.
>>
File: evilcandy.png (281KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
evilcandy.png
281KB, 600x450px
>>49006365
>>
>>48979147
Legitimately surprised to see the hate this post got, I sort of figured all of 4chan hated kids? I mean, I know this anon is being a dick but he is also correct.
>>
>>49008011

Well id say /tg/ has alot of old dudes

plus he could have said

>on an image board
>has kids

instead of that edgy bullshit
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.