[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, we really, REALLY need to talk about the recent surge in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 5e books.png (528KB, 636x449px) Image search: [Google]
5e books.png
528KB, 636x449px
/tg/, we really, REALLY need to talk about the recent surge in popularity of 5e around here, especially the trend of recommending it as a good system for "introducing" players to our hobby.

I understand that there is an obsession with being subversive and finding the most super specialest alternative to 3.PF possible, but having finally taken the time to read into 5e and the reasons why this game has caught on around here and other forums I feel the need to be frank: this NEEDS to stop. I try as hard as I can not to be a "badwrongfun" style curmudgeon, but this is not a role playing game. Full stop. This is not a role playing game, and this disingenuous promotion of it as such is legitimately dangerous to this hobby. This is an exercise in self-congratulatory free form group storytelling.

This is a "game" where the danger of literally any challenge is by design arbitrary, not just from encounter to encounter, but from action to action. There's no actual combat or tactics at play, everyone takes turns basically describing a "cool fantasy battle" and resolve everything through "attack" and "save" rolls triggered at the GM's whim. This is a game proud of being anti-structure, where the goal is to explain to the GM how many cool things your players do instead of actively overcoming any challenges in your way.

It's chaos. Consequences of certain failures are decided collaboratively. The GM is encouraged to be more of an antagonistic player than an actual referee of any rules. At /tg/'s suggestion I watched a few videos of people playing this. At one point the *GM* asked the *PLAYERS* what rumors they had heard in town.

I get that the people involved in this game by admission shill it everywhere, but please stop pushing this as a system for beginners. It's dangerous to our hobby and the behaviors it promotes encourages entitled players with disruptive expectations for how parties are meant to work.

Stop.
>>
>>48953417
I know this is bait anon you won't fool me
>>
Wtf I hate 5ed xD
i'm now #3.pathfinder
>>
>>48953417
Literally the most relevant thing is availability. Everyone and their dog is play 5E. Hence recommendations.
>>
>>48953417

>At /tg/'s suggestion I watched a few videos of people playing this. At one point the *GM* asked the *PLAYERS* what rumors they had heard in town.

There is rather a lot of games that do that sort of collective worldbuilding.
>>
5e Starter set $12 on Amazon
>>
>>48953417
>free form group storytelling
...So roleplaying?
>>
>>48953417
>This is a "game" where the danger of literally any challenge is by design arbitrary
That applies to all RPGs with a GM.
This bait is stupid.
>>
Literally cannot present how this doesn't fall under Tabletop Role Playing Game, but claims it is not a role playing game.
>>
This is just the DW copypasta with the proper names changed, and we should all feel bad for posting in this thread.
>>
>>48953417
I expected the same old pasta but the changes make it taste new and flavorful.

8/8 would be b8'd again

>>48953877
>we
Only the normies who posted here
>>48953469
>>48953478
>>48953485
>>48953499
>>48953554
>>48953623
should feel bad.
>>
None of this bait changes the fact that 5e is pretty good.
>>
File: 100 percent bitter.jpg (63KB, 494x496px) Image search: [Google]
100 percent bitter.jpg
63KB, 494x496px
>>48953417
I played my first tabletop RPG a couple of days ago and it was D&D 5e, didn't even know it at the time but I recognized the books in your OP picture.
I thought it was a enjoyable experience and hope that I can play more and try other games in the future. How does that make you feel OP?
>>
Pasta again? No thanks, I'm on a low carb diet.
>>
>>48953417
I can't wait until school starts up again.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.