[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crawler Fight General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 9

File: lego crawler.jpg (542KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lego crawler.jpg
542KB, 1024x768px
Howdy folks,

A couple of years ago, some fa/tg/uys developed a skirmish wargame about battling industrial crawlers (pic related). There was some really great discussion, and even a few ruleset PDFs, but then things seemed to peter out.

I thought the whole concept was awesome as fuck, and I'm interested in resurrecting this project. I'd like to use this thread to get a discussion going. I'll bump with some ruleset PDFs.
>>
File: Crawler.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Crawler.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's the earliest ruleset I found. There's no attribution or contact information that I can see; anyone know who wrote it?
>>
And here's a more polished ruleset. Despite the "second edition" bit, I don't believe it was written by the same anon as the earlier ruleset (although I may be wrong about that).
>>
File: PARV.jpg (500KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
PARV.jpg
500KB, 800x600px
>>48929818
I assume the game was inspired in part by NELUG's legendary Brikwars game featuring the Post Apocalyptic Research Vehicle

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=146136
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=146054
http://www.suave.net/~dave/parv.cgi?area=roof
>>
>>48929818
I don't know much about this game but that lego crawler is really cool looking. just came in to say that.
>>
OP here. Lastly, because I love me some self-promotion, here's a ruleset I cooked up: CrawlerTech. It's a simultaneous-turn, hex-based skirmish system loosely based on the Battletech rules (hence the name). Any feedback y'all have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, fluff-wise, what gameplay elements would you like to see in a game about crawler combat? My top five (some of which I actually implemented in my rules) are:
>huge fucking guns
>boarding parties
>individual components being disabled
>salvage and scavenging, re-using chunks of defeated enemy crawlers
>support forces (ground vehicles, aircraft) launched from crawlers
>>
>>48930251
>boarding parties
>individual components being disabled
>support forces (ground vehicles, aircraft) launched from crawlers
these look interesting

>salvage and scavenging, re-using chunks of defeated enemy crawlers
I'm certain there was a flash game that did this. which I liked.
>>
>>48929818
That lego crawler is really cool, but also a bit annoying - it makes me want to make one, and, more importantly, to see how those legs (and the stand in the middle) and the undercarriage is done. And the guy's gallery is all focused on the little details and stuff up top - while it is cool, I want to see how it stays up

>>48930251
I think that pretty much covers it, but I wouldn't mind seeing wheels as an option - less weight capacity, but more speed

TN is Target Number, right?
>>
File: Mortal Engines London.jpg (193KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Engines London.jpg
193KB, 1600x900px
>>
>>48934241
>>48931487
Came here to post this. Mortal Engines was the shit.
>>
File: crawler tread.gif (26KB, 494x472px) Image search: [Google]
crawler tread.gif
26KB, 494x472px
>>48931487
>wheels as an option - less weight capacity, but more speed
Yeah! I'm trying to work out rules for customized crawler chassis: tweaking the number of wheels/treads, number of slots per sector, stuff like that.

>TN is Target Number, right?
Correct.

>>48934613
>Mortal Engines was the shit.
Seriously. Best YA series I've ever read.
>>
>>48929818
all this space could be used better if crawler in op had flat top and used helis instead of this strange hangar/airstrip setup
god damn, i wish i had enough legos to build something like that
>>
File: example.png (18KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
18KB, 400x800px
>>48930251
I built, long ago, a system for airship combat which had most of those components. Of course, it's probably incompatible with what you have running.

Basically, I got around things like disabling sections, scavenging pieces and boarding by having the ships exist both as a unit on the game board and as a "Blueprint" style diagram on a grid. The idea was that this grid was of a specific size and that all the guns were predrawn modules that you would just kind of slot into the machine. You could buy grid squares worth of materials for a cost and use that to build the body, then attach the weapons. Each part had HP connected to it, so that you would damage and destroy walls and components, trying to eventually destroy the core of the machine. Anything left over that was intact or mostly intact could be scavenged. It worked for boarding because it effectively created maps of each of the machines that you could move units around in, though I never made any rules for that.

You may also want to look into the pc game "Airships: conquer the skies", since it has some of these components and in fact does have crawler combat.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.