[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 20

File: 20160819_222155.jpg (7MB, 4032x2279px) Image search: [Google]
20160819_222155.jpg
7MB, 4032x2279px
Zombois edition

Testing zombies right now. This is literally the most oppressive shit ever

>emerge mindbender out of haunted dead turn 5, Sac sanctum grab deep fiend
>upkeep tap opponents lands
>your turn Lilly minus grab mindbender, emerge from squid

I think a Bu control deck is solid right now.
>>
Damn, no one's talking Standard right now?
I really need help on how to deal with Lifelink. It completely destroys my chances at dealing that last hit.
>>
>>48892868

Are you playing thermo? I've been testing it but haven't run into the life link situation.

The thing about burn decks are you can only deal so much with your cards before you get burnt out.
>>
>>48892868
It's cause you either go bant coco like a faggot or go over the top with fucking eldrazi, like that sounds horrible just thinking about it. I can't wait til both rotate out come spring 2018.
>>
File: MonoR_Burn_Standard.png (1MB, 1865x667px) Image search: [Google]
MonoR_Burn_Standard.png
1MB, 1865x667px
>>48893421

Speaking of burn, anyone think Mono R Burn is going to be a thing again when Kaladesh launches? Thermo Alchemist and Bedlam Reveler seem like they'd slot into that deck well, and I'm hoping the new set brings enough cards to flesh out the rest of the deck's shell.

I've been putting together a tentative list that I plan to swap out a bunch of stuff with once Kaladesh rotates in.
>>
File: Image-13.png (123KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-13.png
123KB, 223x311px
So I was really digging the grixis control that oliver tiu played. Problem is, I can't throw out money for Jace, kalitas and the like. Is there a way to make it more budget?
>>
>>48893980
Don't think it's going to be happening.

You're running a full playset of Incendiary Flow. A FULL PLAYSET.
>>
>>48894188

The idea is to swap out for better stuff if anything shows up in Kaladesh. Admittedly though, this is a super-shitbrew.

But if you've got better suggestions for a Mono-R burn shell I'll take them.
>>
Anyone have good videos/articles on how to optimize your play in MtG? I've been playing for quite awhile now and feel like I've hit a major wall in development. To the point that sometimes only power level can win me games.
>>
File: Image.png (113KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
113KB, 223x311px
>>48892868

Just lol at your opponent.
>>
>>48894188
>>48894492

Every burn deck right now plays 4 flow. Exiles key cards and can just be a 2 mana bolt. It's fine.
>>
Can someone give me tips on what to trade towards to improve this deck and what to change?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-16-ur-visions/

Obviously I'm trying to acquire more Fumaroles and a Shivan Reef. Geier's Reach Sanitarium might be good as well.

Curious Homunculus is in the sideboard because I'm not comfortable having him in the starting 60 due to maindeck Lilianas. Smash to Smithereens is there because I've seen people board in Orbs of Warding and that card just ruins this deck.
>>
>>48896532

Thing in the ice is just not good enough

it does work online so if your an MTGO grinder then I suppose its fine but paper it has done no results. The visions lists are running 4 alchemist 4 stormchaser.

unsub is a bit overrated. If its performed for you keep it otherwise its just fluff.
>>
>>48896794
It's on paper.

I suppose I could swap Titi for Stormchaser but the deck doesn't have any pump spells to fully take advantage of Stormchaser's prowess. Both of the creatures are really strong if in starting hand or if drawn early but generally loot with voice / wheel with defiance stuff if drawn later than turn 4.

Unsub has worked fine for me, it bounces Ormendahl and acts as a soft counterspell (useful in case of the more expensive planeswalkers).
>>
I just fucking love the new Liliana, that card is amazing.

Best art in recent history by far, great 3 drop walker, amazing ult, good uptick.

Only wish her -2 would do more in B/W walkers, but I guess you can just run Brisela + Lancers, and have a light recursion effect.
>>
Opinions about the Izzet manichegun deck from the GrandPrix? Seems good and I want something budget to play
>>
>>48894188

Flow is fine.

It's basically a strictly better Lightning Strike
>>
>>48897387
Leaving out Jaces makes it budget but also hurts deck's reliability

>>48896532 has a decent build, but needs a playset of fumaroles and reefs
>>
>>48897798
Lightning Stirke is an instant though, and you generally want your burn to be instant speed as opposed to sorcery
>>
>>48897798
>strictly better
>sorcery
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Fuck off MaRo
>>
>>48894142

You nees 4 Dark-Dwellers and kolaghans command to loop them.

Beyond that, Liliana is solid and not rotating, but admittedly not budget.

Maybe mainbaord Radiant Flames, Duress, and collective brutality?
>>
Are there any good U/R shitbrews? I have a list where I'm running (from what I can remeber)
4 x Curious Homunculi
4 x Galvanic Blast
4 x Take Inventory
4 x Fiery Impulse
4 x Collective Defiance
4 x Pieces of the Puzzle
2 x Mercurial Geists
2 x Bedlam Reveler
2 x Kozi Return
2 x Gheistblast
2 x Brutal Expulsion

Some more counters I can't remember the name of and that enchantment that lets you cast spells from your yard with the same name of spells you cast.

What are some suggestions to make it better? I've been having trouble hitting my cratures when I need to win, but I really love casting pieces of the puzzle because it hits answers 70% of the time.
>>
>>48898062
The dark dwellers and Kommand I can get no problem. I just wanted to know if there is budget options for kalitas, Jace (or will he drop once rotation), and maybe chandra. Although, maybe radiant flames can replace her.
Collective brutality is awesome though, I forgot that card even existed. How would more hand disruption be? Or is 2 enough plus the Kommand enough?
>>
>>48898290

I would add the 4th Chandra before going below 3. You win most of your games through her and Fumarole.
>>
>>48898290

Other ideas include mainboarding one Dragonmaster outcast and sticking 1-2 Obs in.
>>
>>48894188

>Don't think it's going to be happening.

I really hope it does.

Kaladesh is themed more blue and red anyway, hopefully those colors can get some more good stuff while green, black and white who already have more than enough stuff going for them get to rest for a bit.

Actually I think the really relevant thing is the block after Kaladesh, NuZendikar Block was an abysmal point for burn, but there's a lot of good fuel for it in Shadows Block, if we can get enough tools to replace the ones from Dragons and Origins in Kaladesh and get anything at all from whatever comes after then I think burn has a real shot again.
>>
>>48898083

Needs more Thermo Alchemist
>>
So why are people saying that Galvanic Bombardment is worse than Fiery Impulse ?
I get that it is relatively harder to grow, but it keeps growing
>>
>>48898653
Because you can only grow Galvanic by having cast another Galvanic, while Impulse grows off any of the other spells in your deck.

>>48898645
>Needs more Thermo Alchemist
Is it really that good? I couldn't manage to find a spot for it in my build and it seems like it has basically semi prowess (1 damage off each spell) but a weak body that can't beatdown on it's own.
>>
>>48898653
Honestly I think fiery impulse is just better in most cases. Usually when you get to Garvanic doing 4 or 5 damage it doesn't really matter too much.

Most decks that want to be playing firey impulse have no problem putting 2 instants and sorceries in the grave fast and 3 damage is just a sweet spot.

Another problem with galvanic blast is that you are kinda forced to run 4 to get value but like you want to trim down to maybe 2 or something because its a sort of bad matchup for it post sideboard....well then you are just kinda playing a bad fiery impulse then.

Galvanics upside is potentially higher but firey impulse is just more consistent in hitting 3 damage which is what most decks want it to do
>>
>>48898682
>Because you can only grow Galvanic by having cast another Galvanic, while Impulse grows off any of the other spells in your deck.
That's exactly why I said "relatively harder"

>>48898689
>Another problem with galvanic blast is that you are kinda forced to run 4 to get value but like you want to trim down to maybe 2 or something because its a sort of bad matchup for it post sideboard....well then you are just kinda playing a bad fiery impulse then.
That's a very good point, thanks
>>
>>48898682

>Is it really that good?

It really is.

Blocks a lot of relevant stuff and it's ability is almost just strictly better than prowess since it doesn't actually need to be able to beat in past the enemy blockers.
>>
Anyone got a good Orzhov control list with 4 maindeck transgress and no Gideon in the 75?

I'm absolutely shit at deckbuilding, but after testing various Orzhov control lists, I've found out that the Gideons just aren't that good, and you kinda want 4 transgress maindeck.
>>
>>48898653
I'm not >>48898689 but I wanted to expand on his post with my own experience

>Usually when you get to Garvanic doing 4 or 5 damage it doesn't really matter too much.
This right here is the key issue. When you run Galvanic, you expect it to do 2 and maybe 3 damage. You don't run it and expect 4 and certainly you're not expecting to kill any Reality Smashers with it. You need to look at it as purely a 2 damage card that is sometimes 3, ignore the 4 and 5.

I still run it in my deck though along with 4 impulse, fuck weenies.

>>48898707
>after testing various Orzhov control lists
Just take one of those lists and take out the gideons, go 4 transgress and cut some fat to fit. Gideon really should be in the deck though, what else do you plan for a wincon in a B/W deck that probably has comparatively poor draw and ramp.

>>48898704
>It really is.
What should I cut to fit it?
>>
>>48898742

>What should I cut to fit it?

Cut all the Galvanic Blasts and 1 of something else (my choice would be Curious Homunculus)

Put in 3 Thermo alchemists and 2 Exquisite Firecraft.
>>
>>48898742
>I still run it in my deck though along with 4 impulse, fuck weenies.
Same as me

>What should I cut to fit it?
Gheistblast, Pieces of the Puzzle, Brutal Explosion
>>
>>48898790
>Cut all the Galvanic Blasts and 1 of something else (my choice would be Curious Homunculus)
"No"
Although I have some number of cards in the deck that I didn't list, I forgot their names. I think it was some shit like Horribly Awry, the other eldrazi counterspell and an unsubstantiate or two

>>48898793
>Gheistblast, Pieces of the Puzzle
I'll probably cut those, I was honestly just fucking around with the Gheistblasts for fun, Brutal Expulsion has been good for me though.
>>
>>48898847
Gheistblast is fun but too expensive, especially the first cast
>>
>>48898322
Damn, a full set? I mean, if I have to
>>48898334
And the ob would be for his first two right? Or is his ult even doable/worth it?
>>
>>48898892
It shoul have been R for a shock 2U for copy. Izzet in modern needed another bolt and copy is an under utilized design space.
>>
File: Holy Day.full.jpg (448KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Holy Day.full.jpg
448KB, 745x1040px
Need some help, trying to build a Jeskai / Naya turbofog deck.

Since we get a howling mine that is also a wincon, and a good amount of fog effects, there should be a jank deck somewhere.
>>
>>48899160

I doubt you need the full set of chamdras. I was making a point about how cutting her count would be a mistake. That being said, feel free to experiment.

Ob is truly underrated. In the midgame against creature decks he reads, "kill a creature, gain 2-4 life" since he'll usually get attacked after being dropped. Sometimes he -3, +1, -3 and gets a three for one. Sometimes you slam him against control decks he grinds out card advantage. I have ulted him exactly once over 3months of FNMs, and it was against humans in my Sultai shell.
>>
>>48900536
Hmm maybe 3 chandras and 2 obs? I could dig it
I really want to run playsets of both duress and transgress the mind and possibly mainboard silumgar. Too janky?
>>
>>48901063

8 Mainboard early game hand disruption is definitely too much.

Most decks nowadays just run the 4 Transgress and call it a day, but I'm a fan of like a 3/2 split of Duress/Transgress in the main to enable turn 1 plays. With Collective Brutality you can jumble that number up even more, but you have to remember than the discard mode of Brutality is super restrictive and only good for using if you know what's already in their hand or if they are a control deck.
>>
I want to build an Arlin Kord werewolf deck. Is there a decent one floating around out there? How about mono-colorless eldrazi?
>>
File: 20160820_135943.png (2MB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
20160820_135943.png
2MB, 1632x918px
>Sideboard:

x4 Jaddi Offshoot
x3 Summary Dismissal
x3 Learn from the Past
x2 Traverse the Ulvenwald
x1 Pulse of Murasa
x1 Void Grafter
x1 Sphinx of the Final Word

It performed pretty well in a delirium/control/Emrakul heavy meta (hence the 6 S/B cards dedicated to those decks). Got 2nd last night at a pretty competitive FNM, going 3-0-1 drawing to G/B Delirium. The Noose Constrictors I feel either need to be put in the S/B or removed entirely, it was my worst performing card by far. I'm thinking of making Deathmist a full 4-of, and I'd like to try out switching Ulamog with Emrakul and picking up another Nissa. I think I'm also going to switch out the Traverses for something else, I can't activate delirium consistently enough. I'd really like Jaces but it's just not financially viable to pay $50 for two Jaces that will rotate in a month. Also Ulvenwald Hydra and Sight Beyond Sight completely overperformed for me.

Any input? Are the Noose Constrictors really a necessary evil to hedge against CoCo and Spirits? What are the best S/B options for CoCo and Big White?
>>
>>48901162
Yea you're right. I just have a boner for picking out sweet cards early on. But the 3/2 split is a nice compromise for me. Maybe a one of for collective brutality
>>
>>48893921
Lol someone's mad that they lost to those.
But no, I just play an aggressive RG Werewolf deck and realized I need Atarka's Command, blah.
>>
Would a full mill/discard deck be viable? Startled Awake, Manic Scribe, not-quite-Remand, and Transgress the Mind to remove neo-Lily, Emrakul, and other such threats? Sounds viable to me, although you may need some tech to beat Delirium or you're just enabling them. This is Innistrad, there's probably something that can clear out graveyards.
>>
>>48903270
Just go Tutelage + Visions + Days Undoing
>>
>>48901172
>werewolf deck
>decent

sorry bro
>>
>>48903439
I'm wondering if running a few Ingest cards just to speed up the process would be a good idea or not. It seems slow, but it might help finish something off.
>>
>tfw wizards prints a 3-mana planeswalker whose + ability kills most of your creatures for almost free

h-haha i just have to have clash or negate or curve mausoleum boy into rattle boy into another spirit
maybe wotc will print a card that will make tapping out for lili on turn 3 a bad idea in kaladesh?
>>
>>48904369

The only creatures its killing in standard are spirits. I really love the card and the card but its just average and will never see play outside of standard.
>>
>>48904369

Why don't you play Always Watching?
>>
>>48903439
More people need to play that. Its a reprint of an 800 dollar card and you can trigger madness multiple times for 3 mana.
>>
Anyone have suggestions for a Red aggro deck versus BG delirium? Im playing the list off MTG Goldfish with 1 drops n burn, pretty generic/straight forward.

My big problems are Liliana, Kalitas, Grim Flayer, Advocate. Just the general combination of cheap removal and big butts.
>>
what resources are good for a total noob? you niggas need a pastebin/OP
>>
>>48893980
Also remember that sweet R/U goggles deck shortly after Shadows came out? http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ur-goggles/ The team that made it originally used Avacyns Judgment and were play testing using Fall of the Titans as proxies. Then they came to the conclusion Fall was just better, as anytime they had an Avacyns judgment, they thought Fall would have been better in that situation. That deck had a ton of self discard too, so it's not like they couldn't madness the judgment. Have you tried Fall in your deck?

Also, why are you running that vessel? I thought it the red one was garbage.
>>
>>48904215
I doubt it's worth it. Ingest was designed and developed for enabling processing. It at most exiles 1 card per time it hits a player (exiling 0 cards if the library is already empty or if it does no damage). If the ingester has additional utility then maybe.
>>
>>48898062
You can't loop them indefinitely. The Dark-Dwellers exiles the command.
>>
I wanna get into magic, should I just buy a deck off the internet or what?
>>
>>48910210
Instead of playing with real cards, you can play with virtual cards on the internet via MTGO. IIRC Duels of the Planeswalkers is a computer game by WotC that is very similar to magic that is designed to teach players magic. My understanding is that some of the fine technical details in Duels, like how priority works, might be a little different but it's basically the same as MTG.

If you are playing limited, you don't need to bring a deck to the event. You acquire cards and build a deck on the spot. 4 times per year, LGSs host per-releases which are made with new players in mind. LGSs might also have a playtest deck so you can try out the game before you actually start buying cards and stuff. LGS's also have FNM every friday. Playing limited might be a bit demanding, so net decking (copying a deck from the internet) and playing with that would probably be easier if you aren't even familiar with how to play. FNM also does constructed stuff too.

If I used jargon you consider indecipherable please feel free to ask me to clarify, but be specific.
>>
It's honestly more casual than competitive, but I whipped up a shitbrew built around molten vortex and Splendid Reclamation. I need to tweak it more, but throwing all those lands out, then dumping them back on the field for mad landfall / beefy advocates is really rewarding. I like to live on the edge.
>>
>>48910989
I was hoping to see a Splendid Reclamation 'ramp' deck at the pro tour and was disappointed I haven't seen one. Not that molten vortex is an optimal way to get lands in the graveyard.
>>
>>48911053
Well it functioned with fork in the road, magmatic insight, shit like that. Molten vortex helped burn shit that might kill my advocates.
>>
>>48910496
I've played friendly games before, and played systems that are damn close to it, I just wanted to know the best way to go about getting cards and building a deck.
>>
>>48910989
>>48911123
Care to upload the list?
>>
>>48910210
>>48911148
Decide on what format you want to play and then think about what kind of playstyle you enjoy the most, from that we can probably recommend you a deck.

Generally you want to buy single cards from online sellers than buying booster packs or anything.
>>
>>48911148
LGSs sell cards. There are also websites you can order from on line. I think SCG and channelfireball the are two most well known dedicated mtg online retailers. Pucatrade lets you trade cards you already have with a point system over the internet.

As for knowing what cards you need net deck and probably tune it a little towards your meta or make an original brew. People basically do Lets Plays with mtg decks (not that I've ever heard them called that with MTG), so you can look at popular decks being played and choose which one you like. You might also find videos of more obscure decks too.

I heard that standard is the cheapest format contracted format in the short run and modern is the cheapest in the long run (because modern is fairly stagnant, meaning you can use the same deck for years, and standard rotates).
>>
>>48911156
Sure - I'm still seeing what it needs, so I've only built it out of what I got in paper at the moment. Suggestions for this shit brew welcome.

X4 Molten vortex
X4 Splendid Reclamation
X4 Magmatic Insight
X4 Incendiary Flow
X4 Fork in the Road
X4 Scythe Leopard
X1 Ulvenwald Hyrda
X2 Mina and Denn, Wildborn
X1 Retreat to Kazandu
X4 Sylvan Advocate
X1 Season's Past
X2 Wild-field Scarecrow
X1 Chandra fire of kaladesh
X2 Devour in flames
X2 Evolving Wilds
X2 Drownyard Temple
X1 Cinder Glade
X4 Timber Gorge
X6 Mountains
X7 Forests
>>
>>48911340
Will probably cut the season's past for more lands - I have a foil one so I threw it in there for style points. It works pretty well if I get a molten vortex, sylvan advocate, and a shit ton of land in my opening hand.
>>
>>48911340
Splashing Gitrog might be cool. It's a six drop and needs a single black. You are already running things that can tutor a 1 of swamp.
>>
>>48911396
Never mind, it's a five drop. I still think it would be cool.
>>
>>48911396
Yeah, I could probably get a swamp out easily enough, and the gitrog monster would let me get some nice card draw out of my land discard effects too (making magmatic insight a discard a land to draw three cards is pretty kickass)
>>
>>48911252
>>48911242
probably nothing too serious, I'd like one that I could play friendlies with and maybe even win a game or two at the LGS and I'm not really sure, I've only ever played standard green decks and zombie decks. Any type of standard decks stand out as really good? I've already bought a standard elf deck off the internet at the recommendation of a friend.
>>
>>48911444
Although my favorite playstyle is killing the other dudes monsters with spells that would power up my own monsters, if you've ever played Infinity Wars, the Verore are my favorite deck to play.
>>
>>48911427
>>48911340
Crawling Sensation? The most tokens it gives you per turn is 1. But if you crack a wilds on your opponents turn or activate a Molten vortex you can be getting tokens on your opponents turns too.

Also tormenting voice can act as a more flexible magmatic insight at the expense of an additional mana.
>>
>>48911513
Crawling sensation might work, but I worry that it won't fit in well - I'll give it a shot for a few games, see how it plays out.
>>
>>48911470
You might like the modern deck skred red.

As for standard there's no decks that are coming to mind but the cards Borrowed Malevolence, Dromoka's Command, Collective Effort do.
>>
>>48907631
>Kalitas
Exquisite Firecraft / Collective Defiance
>Grim Flayer
Shocks before he turns on delirium, same as Uncle Cletus after
>Advocate
Fiery Impulse (with spell mastery on) before he gets pumped, otherwise Impulse + 1 more burn spell (yeah, you're getting two for one'd there).

In game 2, you board in Lightning Axes (same if your opponent is playing advocates)

Liliana shuts down the mono-R aggro hard. If I saw an opponent playing Lili with that deck, I'd probably take out all the Gorgers (Abbots are fine since they cycle themselves). If you are running into a lot of planeswalkers in your LGS's meta, you might want to start running Devour in Flames instead of rending volleys / tears of valakuts
>>
>>48911470
>tfw hardened scales / managorger hydra was in for one entire set
>>
>>48911470
>>48911444
If you're fine with a casual deck for just 'fun' games, this probably fits your criteria for cheap.

12 Mountains
12 Forests
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Hero of Leina Tower
4 Setessan Oathsworn
4 Mage-Ring Bully
4 Epic Confrontation
4 Fall of the Hammer
4 Labyrinth Champion
2 Clear Shot
2 Setessan Tactics
2 Centaur Battlemaster
2 Scab-Clan Giant

If I counted right that should be a 60 card list, not sure how budget it is but none of those cards I remember being outrageously expensive.
The synergy is that when you use your spells that target any of your creatures with heroic, they will get permanent stat boosts and all of your spells are removal that make your creature 'fight' with an opponent's creature.

It's a fun concept for a casual deck anyway.
>>
>>48911470
>>48911444
>>48911673
I should add you can search all these cards up at http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
which is Wizard's official card database.
>>
>>48911627
I checked out that deck, but I'm not interested in spending over $5 for one card m8
>>
>>48911685
Shit out of luck for competitive magic then
>>
File: 1445486967008.jpg (202KB, 461x487px) Image search: [Google]
1445486967008.jpg
202KB, 461x487px
>tfw finally got a job
>finally can buy not-budget decks
>work during fnm hours
Nothing looks fun right now anyways.
>>
>>48912056
MTGO might be a good fit once fun stuff is around.
>>
>>48912056

This
>>48912124

EMN is actually a prety good set, and magic is finally fun again.
Just get MTGO, and you can relax with magic after a hard day of work.
>>
So I got three decks I'm considering for Game Day.
1: Green/black eldrazi spawners into Ulamog/Desolation Twin
2: Red/Blue surge
3: Mono White medics with Cleric of the Forward Order, Serene Steward, Relief Captain and Patron of the Valiant
Number 1 is perhaps the strongest, number 2 is perhaps the funniest to pilot, and number 3 is the jankiest. Can't decide what to build.
>>
>>48892247
Wow you can pull plays off as soon as turn 5 in standard?!
>>
So what are your hopes for Kaladesh lads

I'm hoping red gets some cheap monored effect that prevents lifegain, possibly stapled onto a shock
>>
>>48913623
a surprise eldrazi invasion :)
>>
Still working on that mill deck. My biggest worry is the load of green creatures with 3 toughness for 2 mana (plus Reflector Mage), because it means none of the -2/-2 effects in standard will work on them and evidently black isn't allowed cheap removal any more than red is allowed cheap burn. Ruinous Path works, but is basically Murder with planeswalker tacked on, and there aren't that many planeswalkers in standard; Reave Soul will be rotating soon, but at least it's cheap; Ob Nixilis is good, but takes far too long to get going; Languish is perfect if I need to wipe, but will be rotating soon and I'm on too much of a budget to pay $20 for <2 months of play; Bone Splinters requires me to have a creature available, which I probably won't unless Shamble Back becomes a good card to run; and all the others cost far, far too much to be viable. With FRF rotated, blue's no help, and I can't afford much of a manabase to splash white. What am I to do?
>>
>>48914063
Play Bant CoCo instead
>>
>>48914189

>Building a fairly expensive deck whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month
>>
>>48914377
>whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month
And thank fucking god for that, but like really just don't try making anything fun until CoCo is gone
>>
>>48914189
But that's boring, and I don't have the budget to get 4 copies of CoCo. I want to play mill because if Wizards is going to take away most of blue's tools, I'm going to play with what's left in protest. Also, is TitI worth running in this deck? There aren't really enough mill cards with <4 CMC, besides Manic Scribe and Vessel of Paramnesia, which is unfortunate for a set where mill was set up to be reasonably viable; however, it would be useful for just acting as a meat shield for any creature with <3 power, and can grow off my Pick the Brain, Transgress the Mind, and Unsubstantiate. Hell, if I play all of those, then all I need is a Startled Awake and TitI activates. Worth it?
>>
>>48914377
>>Building a fairly expensive deck whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month

What is going to replace CoCo ? UW Spirits ? GB Delirium ? UR Visions ?
>>
>>48914423
>What is going to replace CoCo ?
The same decks, just without CoCo
>>
>>48914455
But being CoColess is going to slow them hard
>>
>>48914481
They will probably shift to a more slower 'value engine' style deck, shit like Tireless Tracker is just disgusting for slower matches.
>>
>>48914455

I don't really think that a deck that is nothing but Bant value 3-drops can sustain itself without the acceleration CoCo provides, decks like B/G Delirium that still have all their tools are going to outpace them hard.
>>
>>48914510

I agree. I expect Tamiyo to see more play. Brisela too.
>>
>>48913623
Blue gets carddraw better than Tireless Tracker/Duskwatch Recruiter/Seasons Past.

Mono R becomes viable again.
>>
>>48915027
Also some playable 2 mana counterspell now that Scorn and Clash rotate out.
>>
>>48915027

>Mono R becomes viable again.

Fucking PLEASE.

It's all I want.
>>
Going to an EMN draft today. What do I need to know so I don't fuck up too badly?
>>
>>48913623
Something for the colors who have had their schtick lost recently.

Blue gets a counterspell that isn't "Cancel with an upside" or four mana, and possibly some card draw. Maybe some mill to go with the mill from SOI/EDM, like a reprint (functional or otherwise) of Tome Scour or Mind Funeral.

Red gets Shock and/or Lightning Strike, hopefully with an upside like exiling artifact creatures that die to it. Also possibly some looting effects, given that Aether Revolt is coming. Maybe reprints of Aether Grid and Shrapnel Blast, for good measure.

Black gets solid kill spells again. Reprints of Reave Soul, Smother, Devour in Shadow, Cradle to Grave, Executioner's Capsule, or even Go for the Throat (considering the number of artifacts likely in Kaladesh, it wouldn't be too bad) wouldn't make black completely dominant, but would let it handle deal with creatures - which is supposed to be one of its strengths. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Sign in Blood, or Diabolic Tutor. I would mention targeted discard, but Pick the Brain and Transgress the Mind are really fine.

White doesn't need much, but maybe could use some more token makers. Not huge ones, and not strong tokens, but I'd appreciate a few weenie decks.

Green's broken as it is, and as one of the artifact destruction colors it's going to have a party on Kaladesh anyway. Only thing it needs is Naturalize and it's good. If black gets more kill spells, it should get a bit more balanced.

Of course, none of these will happen beyond green getting Naturalize, because this is Creatures: The Tappening and the creature color is the only one that can have nice things, but I can dream.
>>
>>48916188
Run a draft simulator and familiarize yourself with the drafting environment (see link). Memorize what cards Meld with others. Take note of cards that give bonuses when they die, as you'll want to pick up those if you're running Emerge creatures. Remember that you're drafting 2x EMN 1x SOI, and that you shouldn't start collecting Galvanic Blast or Take Inventory in pack two. Finally: Red/Blue spellslinger is an actual deck.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-draft-simulator/draft/add-solo/
>>
>>48916218
>Murder reprint
>"Black needs more kill spells"
nigga what more do you need?

Also WotC need to stop giving Green better draw engines than blue and black combined for fuck's sake
>>
>>48916347
If green doesn't get card draw then it needs evasion or better removal.
>>
>>48916442
Keep giving them fight spells and trample, then. Make green cards Green again.
>>
>>48916188
Don't pass Wretched Gryffs or Grapple with Past easily.
>>
>>48916188

Buy some EMN and SOI boosters at a different store, pick out some removal for all the colors and maybe a bomb creature or two.

Put those cards in a box with your sleeves, then once you have finished and picked out your colors, go to the toilet and put a few removal cards for your colors up your sleeve, then go back to the table and add them to your pool.
>>
>>48916615
Nope. Not gonna do that
>>
>>48916347
Two mana? Doom Blade was so strong it became a meme, but some weaker two-mana spells to answer Green's Lambholt Pacifist and Sylvan Advocate would be nice.
>>
>>48916781
Ultimate Price and Grasp of Darkness exist.
>>
>>48916856
I'll admit, I forgot Grasp of Darkness existed, but Ultimate Price is rotating in a month. I'd like to have it replaced. Is that so much?
>>
>mfw noobs went back to aggro decks after playing MonoBlue MemePrison for a month.
>mfw there a no longer 45min rounds+extra 15min for 5 turns

Its good to get 2-0 again instead of 2-1 or 1-1. Noobs should stick on aggro decks till they learn how does a control deck works or play a better deck.
>>
>>48918428
Wizard's fault for neutering red to the point of it being a splash color for real decks

Thank fuck EMN brought back quality burn spells
>>
Anyone have tips to improve the reach of UR/UB/Grixis Alchemist burn in standard? I'm considering running 1x Burn from Within main and another in the side.
>>
>>48918882
>quality
>without Shock or Lightning Strike
Anon, I...
>>
>>48918428
Sounds like they were getting a better record against you with the prison deck.
>>
>>48918428

Meme prison was a turbo shit deck that just made people go to turns. It has nothing to do with being a shitter. Well, on second thought only a shitter would play a deck like that.
>>
>>48913623
Also hoping for lifegain prevention. Would love to see a reprint of Skullcrack or something similar.

Hopefully there will be a green or white creature that hates on artifacts or enchantments upon entry.
>>
>>48913623
im hoping for nightstalkers, hillbilly swamp monsters with muskets kinda fits the theme of the set
>>
Will baby Jace drop significantly once he rotates?
>>
>>48928276

Might hit $15-$20 probably but might also hold at $25-$30
>>
>>48928350
Here's to hoping then
>>
>>48920420
Collective Defiance is an amazing modal spell and Incendiary Flow has enough of an upside with the exile clause to offset sorcery speed

I expect a replacement for Fiery Impulse with similar power level (either a straight up shock with another effect stapled onto it or a conditional bolt)
>>
>>48931506
You will not get shock.

You will never get another instant-speed deal 2 damage to creature or player for R in standard.

Ever.

We're not even allowed elvish mystic,
>>
>>48931741
We had a shock with an upside in KTK, I have my hopes up
>>
We're gonna have a delayed gameday at my hometown and I thought I would make a vamp-deck for the not so competitive meta here.
Need some help here though

>Discard outlets
4x Heir of Falkenrath
4x Lightning Axe
3x Tormenting Voice
2x Stromkirk Condemned
2x Olivia, Mobilized for War
2x Collective Brutality
2x Furyblade Vampire
1x Kolaghan's Command

>Madness-targets/abusers
3x Falkenrath Gorger
3x Bloodhall Priest
3x Fiery Temper
2x Stromkirk Occultist
2x Asylum Visitor
1x Voldaren Pariah

>Sideboard
4x Murderous Compulsion
4x Olivia's Dragoon
4x Distemper of the Blood
2x Malevolent Whispers, Grasp of Darkness or Ultimate Price
1x Lupine Prototype

Any obvious things I'm missing? Are there too many discard-outlets in comparison to the targets?
>>
>>48933158
Forgot 1x Avacyn's Judgement in the Madness-targets
>>
File: mtg_bloodlinekeeper.jpg (559KB, 1505x1100px) Image search: [Google]
mtg_bloodlinekeeper.jpg
559KB, 1505x1100px
>>48933158
>>48933186
Bump
>>
>>48892247
>tfw manage to make a Standard Delirium deck that wins often and pisses people off without putting in Liliana or Emrakul

I've actually had to stop using it for a while because every time I did the complaining would be endless. It was only 25 dollars but then I traded for two Grim Flayers so technically it's around 45 now.
>>
>>48935192
Decklist?
>>
>>48935429
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-16-budget-delirium/

I haven't tested it much with Hangarback in it, before I put that in it had one more Swallower and Concoction. I didn't put in Wilds because if I draw that early it fucks up Vessel, surprisingly have not had land issues despite that.

>inb4 why don't you have X, Y, and Z expensive cards
>>
File: landfall1.png (914KB, 1202x1204px) Image search: [Google]
landfall1.png
914KB, 1202x1204px
finally got my roommate into mtg, he's in love with omnath.

anyone got recs on this list? it's like 20 bucks in cards for him to make the whole thing from my stuff and seems even a little evil which is nice
>>
so mono red burn?

3 Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
3 Expedite
3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
20 Mountain
3 Exquisite Firecraft
2 Goldnight Castigator
2 Bedlam Reveler
3 Incendiary Flow
3 Titan's Strength
4 Thermo-Alchemist
2 Sin Prodder
4 Magmatic Insight
2 Pyromancer's Goggles
2 Collective Defiance

Sideboard
3 Smash to Smithereens
4 Rending Volley
4 Dual Shot
4 Scab-Clan Berserker
>>
So, in the conspiracy thread a couple days ago people were speculating on what mechanic E is, a mechanic MaRo was going to put into Mirrodin but was removed, and is going into Kaladesh. He said in one of his articles that we also saw it in another design.

Would it be Experience counters?
>>
>>48922443
I had no problem with that trash deck since I beat them with my Bant CoCo. The problem was they fucking delayed the rounds. Even if there were in a shit situation, they kept playing and delaying the tourney. Thanks god its dead already and noobs realised the deck is pure shit.

Meme decks shouldnt exist.
>>
>>48939892
Sounds like you need a better shop if you only ever get eight players for FNM.
>>
>>48939892
It was a 48 man FNM tourney, fagget.
>>
>>48916442

Green has the best style Green removal.
Prey upon and Rabid Bite.
Evasion is too powerful with overlylarge creatures, trample fits nicely.

Also
>>
>>48917141
You should be asking for a Languish replacement.
>>
File: n2G32Gr.jpg (27KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
n2G32Gr.jpg
27KB, 500x399px
>>48936377
>>
File: 1468125896071.jpg (14KB, 300x377px) Image search: [Google]
1468125896071.jpg
14KB, 300x377px
Bant CoCo takes up 37% of the meta.
This is objectively worse than meme rhino.
>>
hay guise i have a noob question.

when entering a local standard tournament is there any prize for last place? If i pay a $5 entry fee but lose every single game and take it as a learning experience am i compensated in any way with 1 lonely pack or promotional item? is it worth losing a bunch of tournys to get the skills to compete and make it worth the financial investment?
>>
>>48944331

You have to win a game at my shop, meaning just one duel out of a set.

I have no idea what the official lingo is.

At least go 1/-
>>
>>48944331
From all of my experience, FNMs should be free, and prize support is dependent on the shop. For example, the one I frequently go to has what's called pack round at round 4 where whoever wins that specific match gets a pack, even if they go 1-3. However, the downside of the system there is that the prize support for getting top 4 is very weak, the result being there are a lot more casual players there. We have another store in my town though and it's a lot more serious.
>>
>>48944331
All the places I've been to you get at least a booster pack for entering, on top of any promos or other stuff that's being given away.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 242x251px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 242x251px
Hey Faggots,
My name is Jon, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded casuals who spend every second of their day making terrible decks. You are everything bad in magic. Honestly, have any of you ever been to a Pro Tour? I mean, I guess it’s fun making your own shit decks, but you all take it to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to pictures of Elspeth.
Don’t be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I’m pretty much perfect. I was world champion, and have several pro tours under my belt. What accomplishments do you have, other than “I once won a game of EDH”? I also have my own card, and have a banging hot girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.
Pic Related: It’s me and my bitch
>>
>>48944419
Lucky. I need to have a win ratio greater than 1 to earn anything, and there's a $5 entry fee. Honestly hate the shop, but it's the only one in town.
>>
Is there a site I can put in my card inventory and it shows me decks that I can make?
>>
>>48936377
BR madness burn is also an option. You mostly get alms and the black collective as new "damage" spells but it gives a lot of side choices.
>>
>>48947749
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5740D9i2E
(6$ per month subscription)
>>
File: 20160823030120_1 - Copia.jpg (468KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160823030120_1 - Copia.jpg
468KB, 1920x1080px
I have no place to post this, and I know I'm memeing, but holy shit, this guy got me triggered so fucking hard
>>
>>48947894
And yeah, he was high ranked
>>
>>48936377
I don't understand why anyone would go mono-color in the era of each standard having three cycles of both friendly and enemy colored dual lands
>>
>>48944331
It depends on the store.

In our store, everyone pays for 1,5 booster packs in prizes, and we play 3 matches, and each player gets 1 booster pack for each match win.
>>
>>48935523

Why no cheapo deathtouch dryad?
>>
>>48944331

My shop redrafts rares. So if you fuck everything up you're most likely to end up with a crap rare/pile of uncommons-commons.
>>
>>48896794
As someone who's play tested thing, it eats every last bit of removal the second an opponent gets it, its just too big of a threat, and you can't quite flip it quick enough in standard.
>>
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/431392#paper
Why would they use only a pair of kolaghans command?
>>
>>48933158
Drana?
>>
>>48952298
A bit unsure, but I think I could get trade or borrow it from a guy.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maddening-bloodsuckers/
How do you think Chandra would fit in? Bomb or dud?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Bought a random EMN pack while shopping. Tamiyo is fucking awesome in bant decks.

Sucks that the value is so low
>>
>>48955364
It'll be curious to see what happens to bant after CoCo leaves. That Tamiyo might spike if it's still around.
>>
>>48910027

Pretty much to store mana for late game "pay X," spells. It works out pretty well usually, but things have to line up right. I'll probably end up cutting them.
>>
R8 n H8 M8s

20 mountains
4 falkenrath gorger
4 insolent neonate
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 distemper of the blood
4 fiery temper
3 stromkirk occultist
2 incorrigible youths
4 ravenous berserker
2 furyblade vampire
2 reckless bushwhacker
3 lightning axe
4 lupine prototype
3 stensia masquerade

SIDE
Very important

4 goldnight castigator
4 rending volley
3 Avacyn's Judgment
1 lightning axe
3 magmatic chasm
>>
>>48935630
Initial thoughts

Titan's strength with this looks fucking terrible. Your not trying to agro your opponent out. So the same idea is with new nissa here, put tokens on things for what purpose. Mirrorwing meme with meme's strength is bad especially if you have omnath in play which seems like where this is going. If you landed omnath you won with all the ramp you have. I recomend a 4th gnarlwood to stave off agro decks. Maybe nissa's pilgramage to counter burn decks. You need a nice 5 drop to evolve into omnath with. Look into blighted woodland.
>>
>>48933158
This is what I'm planning to run anon. For now I only tested it against other Block deck (since I only play Block normally), but I think it might fare well.

Creature (15)
4x Asylum Visitor
2x Bloodhall Priest
4x Falkenrath Gorger
4x Heir of Falkenrath Flip
1x Olivia, Mobilized for War
Instant (12)
4x Fiery Temper
4x Just the Wind
4x Turn Aside
Land (24)
3x Choked Estuary
4x Foreboding Ruins
4x Island
9x Mountain
4x Swamp
Sorcery (4)
1x Avacyn's Judgment
3x Tormenting Voice
Enchantment (5)
3x Call the Bloodline
2x Ghostly Wings
>>
>>48958921
desu i think you're going to have mana problems.
and that deck wants more than 15 creatures
>>
File: madman.jpg (513KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
madman.jpg
513KB, 800x1132px
>>48958921
>Blue in 3-colour aggro only to get Turn Aside and Ghostly Wings
>>
>>48947809
I'm trying to distill a BR madness/vampires deck right now actually. I'm trying to find the perfect balance of kolagan's commands/collective brutalities to lightning axe/fiery temper. Feels difficult to balance creatures/spells to really make it work though, and I always feel tempted to throw in carrier thralls/indulgent aristocrats
>>
>>48959071
In playtest it hasn't been too bad to be honest. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'll try it out at the FNM. Excess land are discarded, and the mana base is okay to play what I want generally (generally). I'm a sucker for mana base.

>>48959145
That's how I roll. (Also sideboard)
>>
File: galvanicbombardment.jpg (56KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
galvanicbombardment.jpg
56KB, 265x370px
>>48931741

I have been using this card against players, holy shit I never released until your post this was only creatures.
>>
>>48920183
Bedlam Reveler isn't enough for you? Yeah, you're not gonna cast it for RR very often, but threee cards plus a lewd body in a deck like thermos is nice gas that gets you reach.

Also, depending on what you run, maybe do Avacyn's Judgement, or Fall of the Titans instead of Burn from Within?

And for the record, I think Chandra would replace most of the cards I mentioned.
>>
>>48960679
>actually cheating
>>
>>48960679
Card would probably be rare or mythic if it hit players.
>>
>>48959613
>the mana base is okay to play what I want generally (generally)
the mana base is not okay
i'd recommend a tonne more duals
>>
>>48951501
Stop supporting stores that rare redraft
>>
>>48951501
Never go to an lgs that rare redrafts. I went to one that did, faked an emergency as soon as I opened my packs. Left and never went back
>>
>>48966694
>compains about redrafts
>breaks the pod for some 10$ rares

Rare redrafts are fine if you just wan't to play draft where rare's get passed to people who need them. They're not fine if you suck at draft but want to collect all the pricy cards for your constructed decks. Which applies to all of /tg/.
>>
Will conspiracy cards be standard legal?
>>
>>48967788
No, unless the cards are also released in a Standard legal set.
>>
>>48967767
Rare redrafts literally go against WPN's terms of service. A player owns all the cards they draft and can drop at any time, and if the store attempts to enforce this without all the players agreeing to it they should lose the status.

Rare redrafting is perfectly fine if everyone involved is on a similar drafting skill level. It's absolutely fucking atrocious if used in open tournaments with participants from all four winds, which is what FNMs should be.
>>
>>48968445
Can you report stores who force rare redrafts?
>>
>>48968502
Yes and you should
>>
>>48967767
To be fair, I wasn't aware of the redrafting policy until I had opened.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 469x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 469x358px
>>48893921
Rotation is this September with the release of kaladesh, so no coco soon.
>>
>1 month until CoCo dies

Finally Standard will stop being plagued by the degeneracy that brought the Khans - Dragons block and every single top 8 will stop being 3cmc GOOD STUFF CREATURES feat Collected Company and 1 Control deck specifically built to kill creatures every turn.

Hoping for Kaladesh to gives us a wide array of archetypes that each have their strengths and weaknesses so theres no 16 of the same fucking deck in the top 20 of every tournament.
>>
>>48970585
I'm starting to build a mono red for this standard.

Problem is, lot of what will make it any good is from Origins/Khans.
>>
>>48970643
MonoRed suffers a lot because they will lose:

Abbot of Keral keep
Exquisite Firecraft
Zurgo Bellstriker
Lightning Berserker
Thunderbreak Regents

and some other stuff but you can make it a bit less creature heavy and go for a more spellike build with Fevered Visions, Stormchasers and ThermoAlchemists.

Its not as aggro and fast as the MonoRed build but its certainly more explosive and consistent with lot more card draw. Also opens you up for counter magic in the sideboard for those control heavy matchups.

U/R doesnt suffer as much from the Rotation so thats the direction i went from my MonoRed standard deck, so far its been working fine. still need 2 more Incendiary Flows and Collective Defiances.
>>
>>48970643

Eh. Honestly it feels like the only two things that will REALLY hurt to lose are Abbot and Exquisire Firecraft.

The tools from Dragons can be done without.

Kaladesh is basically themed Red and Blue, they HAVE to give us some decent mono-red tools.

Right?

RIGHT?!
>>
>pay $350 for a deck
>$10 entry
>X-0 gets "$40" worth of cards
>sell them to the lgs for $25
>it takes 23 X-0s to break even
>1/3 of your deck will rotate out by the time you do this

how do you defend this?
>>
>drive 20m to lgs
>has 3 of the 20 cards I'm looking for
>drive to the other lgs
>2 cards
>now I have to order online

This is why proxies should be fine
>>
There's a premium article on SCG where Ahh Relax makes the claim that standard right now is more busted than peak Cawblade. Can anyone copy paste his reasoning somewhere?
>>
>>48894733
god i love this card, have it in a black and red casual deck of mine
>>
>>48973489
It's not a main source of income. Actually it's not a source of income at all. Paying for itself is good enough, very few hobbies do that.
>>
>>48973489
>pay $150 for my deck
>$15 entry
>X-0 gets $90 store credit
>>
File: Image-18.png (125KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-18.png
125KB, 223x311px
What do you guys think of pic related? I thought it was pretty good for a common
>>
>>48975457
Wow that art is awful.
>>
>>48955111
Chandra would be Sideboard 2 copies at most I think. She's good right now but has a vastly different gameplan from vampires.
>>
>>48975457
you essentially blow a card and a turn to put them back by their two worst cards. it's okay
Thread posts: 207
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.