[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5eg - 24d10 + 24d6 + 60 Cantrips Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 37

File: Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg (112KB, 488x736px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg
112KB, 488x736px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old thread >>48872851

How can YOU abuse eldritch blast?
>>
>rogue 5 / fighter 7 / warlock 5 / sorcerer 3

>hex before you start fighting
>cast eldritch blast as action, four eldritch blasts, triggers hex four times
>bonus action to attack, triggers hex, triggers sneak attack for 3d6
>action surge
>vomit more eldritch blasts in their face
>out of range? use sorcerer points for MORE eldritch blasts

>you get a shield
>you get heavy armour
>you get uncanny dodge
>you get the shield spell

What more could you want?
>>
That picture is fucking amazing
>>
>>48888824

I thought Hex had some kind of "once per round" cap on its damage.
>>
>>48888824
Also
>optional pushback
>potentially up to 600ft range without metamagic
>temporary HP every time you kill an enemy
>second wind
>assassinate
>2 level 3 every short rest spellslots, 2 long rest level 3 spell slots, 3 level 2 spell slots, 4 level one spell slots
>take the close combat fighting style for +1 to hit with eldritch blasts and no penalty for point blank firing

The only reason you wouldn't be immediately kicked from the group is everyone else would be level 20 and be just as overpowered with their wishes.

>>48888919
If you read the spell, it's 'every time you hit it with an attack'
As an eldritch knight, that's up to 5 times a turn, or 9 with action surge.
Sorcerer using quickened spell, up to 8 times a turn.
Quickened spell and action surge, 12 times a turn.
Sneak attack only triggers once a turn, hence trying to use it alongside eldritch knight's level 7 feature.
>>
>>48888919
It does not. The only limits to it are concentration, range, and it having to be an attack roll.
>>
>>48888824

Screw sneak attack, just take 3 levels in Rogue for the auto crit. Hex someone secretly as you walk past and then EB them in the surprise round for ass loads of automatically critting damage.
>>
>>48888994
5 levels in rogue is mostly to take advantage of uncanny dodge.

>anybody who makes a weapon attack against you, and somehow succeeds past your heavy armour, shield and spells will then have their damage halved

On the other hand, you'd kind of end up sucking if anyone makes you do a saving throw unless you have the element absorption ability.
>>
>>48888824
>>48888961
I don’t know whether to hate or love this. Either way this is just silly.
>>
File: Rimuru Tempest.jpg (456KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Rimuru Tempest.jpg
456KB, 1275x1650px
Hey guys I'm about to start a new game in 5e.
I've played a little and am sort of familiar with 5e.

I'm making a new char based on this:
http://www.blacksharkenterprises.com/single-post/2016/1/27/Alternate-Sailor-Backgrounds-for-DD-5e-The-Fisherman-Whaler

and I'm going with a fighter with Great Weapon Fighting
and I want him to dual wield a net and trident.

Thing is a trident is super lackluster as a weapon, so I'm wondering if you could give me tips and hints on another weapon I could use or something.

I was reading up on harpoon from 3.5e but that shit is bullshit broken.

Please give me any thoughts on this.

Sorry I attached the pdf like a fool. here's the jpg
>>
>>48889005
>great weapon fighting
>dual wielding
>dual wielding with non-light weapons at that
What

Dual-wielding must normally be with two 'light' property weapons.
Great weapon fighting is kind of for weapons you're holding in two hands.

If you hold the trident in two hands, you will get two-weapon-fighting, however.

If you're lucky, perhaps your DM will give you a non-thrown, larger version of the trident. Perhaps a 1d10 one with reach, like a pike.
>>
>>48889044
Use the morningstar stats. If you want throwing, ask your GM because that's not currently permitted and a bit too good IMO. A net it generally bad I think, and if you want to use one you need to have the rest of the build fairly optimal. Crossbow expert and a hand crossbow with the net isn't amazing but I've heard it works.
>>
>>48889073
I meant 2 handed wielding.

Great weapon makes it so that if you roll a 1 or 2 in dmg and you're 2 handing a weapon you get to reroll.

Yea GM said we'll work it out so maybe I can get a better trident.

Or have a mechanic where dmg is double if I pierce a target. Cause tridents have weird spikes that hurt on the way out as well.

>>48889128
Well I wanted the net as a kind of grapple mechanic and too add a little fun to playing a fisherman.

Also my team is going to be ranged people so since I'm the only melee I want to be able to net someone and focus on someone else.
>>
>>48889128
I hear nets can be pretty good.
You'd have to use them on something like a beastmaster, though. Or a rogue with two-weapon fighting and the feat to allow them to use non-light weapons.

Also somewhat viable at lower levels anyway before you get multi-attack, or on a cleric or wizard with nothing better to do.
>>
>>48889185
>>48889128
This.

I will use it before getting multi-attack.

Cause nets are crap and make it so that you can only attack once after you throw it.
>>
>>48889027

why do you need shield if you have uncanny dodge, or vice versa? they both require reaction.
>>
>>48889480
Oh, good point.
However, shield has limited uses.
You can use shield after you see the result of the enemy's die.
If you think you could negate the attack with shield, you use shield.

If the enemy crits, use uncanny dodge.

If the enemy hits and you don't feel like using shield and you don't think anyone else will attack you this turn (uncanny dodge only works once, shield lasts the whole turn) just go for uncanny dodge.
>>
>>48888964
>>48888961

God Hex is amazing.
>>
Why are open fist monks good again?
Is it just the capstone bonus?
>>
>>48889879
Flurry-based target control.
>>
>>48889879
They don't have to spend ki on spells and suchlike.
The capstone bonus is good, and the bonuses to flurry of blows allows you to shove people to the floor. Combine that with someone to grapple them once they're shoved to the floor, and you have yourself some brilliant crowd control.
>>
>>48888769
All I can think about when I see that picture is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gx8hYi0hQ
>>
>>48889879

They've got 3 pretty great features. The Flurry enhancement is great because you want to Flurry most of the time anyways, the self healing is great because anyway to keep on your feet is welcome, and capstone is one of the most unique and powerful.
>>
>>48889879
Shove is very powerful (and the key reason people build grapplers in 5e, though monks don't actually make good grapplers), locking down a wide variety of enemies that almost certainly don't have proper counters to it.
>>
>>48889044
>Thing is a trident is super lackluster as a weapon
That's sort of historically fitting; while retiarius certainly embody a point of fascination, trident + net isn't really a battlefield combination.

Speaking of which, here's some boring updated shit that no one will care about. Importantly, and I know quite a few homebrews have covered it, 5e does not cover a few very important aspects of ancient/medieval combat. There's, for instance, no mechanic that emphasizes a one-handed weapon with an open hand (no shield) in the other (e.g. the dueling fighting style can be used with a shield), despite it being a very important dueling technique. And other stuff.

There's too much Guard shit in there, but we'll see what we can get rid of
>>
>>48882834
Yeah - I put the familiar in general powerlevel slightly above quasit and slightly below imp.

Better as a scout, worse at other things.
>>
how dumb / strong can a character get with a roll of 3D6, with the average stat being about an 8 + two 15's OR 1 17.
>>
>>48888769
I'll dump these again for anyone else's interest. Based on playtesting it's all fairly clean.
>>
>>48890990
More than one or two high attributes doesn't matter much in 5e, since classes only really tend to key off of one or two attributes for most of their things.
Tbh, point-buy/standard array are very clean and sufficient ways to do ability scores in 5e.
>>
>>48890990
I don't think I understand the question. Am I missing something or would the answer just be 3 and 18?
>>
>The character is able to speak formally, showing respect and being careful around words, always trying to find the better solution through talking. The player also says he's a handsome one.
>But he's asocial; He's too careful when approaching other NPCs, and tries to evade people, only talking when prompted to or when it's necesary

How much charisma score would that be really? Since on D&D it seems always implied that looks and ability to speak go together and have an unbreakable bond.
>>
>>48891429
8-10, but with Persuasion skill prof
>>
>>48888769
How does ranged combat work firing in to a melee combat?
>>
For more experienced DMs, if a player had a broken magical item that used to be able to cast a spell once a day, how much gold/etc. would you have them spend in order to get it fixed?
>>
>>48891479
Disadvantage without crossbow expert.
>>
>>48891429
It is never implied that looks go together with ability to speak.

Let me DIRECTLY QUOTE from page 14 of the PHB

"A character with high Charisma exudes confidence, which is usually mixed with a graceful or intimidating presence. A character with a low Charisma might come across as abrasive, inarticulate, or tímid"

>>48891479
Often up to a DM, though I believe half-cover (+2 AC) is customary. I think it's sensible that a DM allows nat 1s to hit friends sometimes, though nat 1s shouldn't hit friends when there's absolutely no reason they would (firing at a lone enemy in the middle of nowhere).
>>
>>48891525
I see. I kind of let that slip, and had in mind how 3.5 players described 3.5 charisma to me back then. Thank you.
>>
>>48888769
>24d10 + 24d6 + 60 Cantrips
Explain
>>
File: Plaguedomainnc.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Plaguedomainnc.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Would anyone be interested in a debuffer cleric based around poison? I put this together and was wondering if anyone thinks it's mechanically sound or would be interesting to play.
>>
>>48891479
Creatures provide half-cover if the shot has to go through them, so the target gets +2 AC.
>>
>>48891525
I think one might very well have a high charisma score and come across as not particularly confident/graceful/intimidating.
For instance, I'm playing a sorcerer (with a high charisma score) in a game who is fairly meek in regard to new people and situations in general, but warms up to people fairly quickly and comes across as endearing and sociable afterward.
>>
>>48888824
>sneak attack doesnt work with ED
>Hex cost one bonus action, if you kill your target you wont be able to place at another
>There is an invocation for better range, those sorcerer levels are shit
>You have disadvantage with spell attack rolls at meelee
>>
Question about jack of all trades
does the bonus apply to regular ability checks?
Say a strenght check or a con check?
Asking because I play on roll20 and this sheet automatically adds a +1 to all ability checks, thought jack of all trades was for skill checks only, and ability checks couldn't get modifiers outside of their stat mods
I know I may be making zero sense
>>
i just want a new campaign setting book

eberron please

dark sun please

a forgotten realms that isnt the sword coast please
>>
>>48891613
There's no such thing as a "skill check" in 5e. Skills are ability checks that, because of your training and what you're making the check for, allow you to add your proficiency bonus to it.
>>
>>48891621
Eberron next year, Dark Sun after.

Patience.
>>
>>48891525
>>48891572
>>48891521

Thanks guys. For some reason I just can't remember or find in in the rulebook. So many games, versions of D&D, blending together I guess.
>>
>>48891559
Glossing over that it seems fine to me. There are some wording corrections I'd want to make to bring it more in line with 5e sentence structuring, but mechanically it seems alright. Might want to playtest the capstone a bit myself though, to make sure the damage is in line. Though I think it *should* be alright given you only have so many ways to actually inflict poison on something.
>>
How are illusionists in 5e? t
>>
>>48891674
Fucking amazing. The level 14 feature is the strongest class feature - out of all classes - in the whole game.
>>
>>48891621
I mean...Out of Abyss is in the Underdark
>>
>>48891559
I can dig it. Not enough cleric brews in my opinion
>>
File: rainbow wizard.png (635KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow wizard.png
635KB, 1920x1080px
other than color spray, the only other related abilities are prismatic spray and prismatic wall?

any ideas for a rainbow power? at least 1 at every level plus a cantrip

pic related
>>
>>48891672
I appreciate the feedback. I'll work on the sentence structure some more to bring it further in line with the PHB. Thanks.
>>
>>48891654

HOW
DO
YOU
KNOW
THIS

PLEASE TELL ME

IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL MYSELF!!
>>
File: Machinist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Machinist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So got a game coming up on Monday where I can pull out some homebrew. Dug through my stash, and dusted off this number I pulled out of this thread probably months back. Think I should try it? Seems to be based around short rests
>>
>>48891736
Pretty good job overall senpai - not many homebrews I come across intuitively register as having fairly balanced mechanics like that.
>>
>>48891768
wooooooooooords
>>
>>48891639
Alright, then does that mean jack of all trades benefits ALL ability checks, incluiding those who are just "strenght checks" and the like?
>>
>>48891854
Yes it does.
>>
>>48891595

the original post started with gaining close quarters shooting from the light dark underdark UA so your close range EBs won't be at disadvantage (and for the +1 to hit). You grab that and action surge from fighter.

The sorcerer levels are for quicken spell so you cast 3 EBs in one nova. If you get the surprise round you have advantage and automatically crit on all of them for the 24d10+60 damage. You get an additional 12 d6 if you hex the turn before (24d6 if you hex before the surprise round).
>>
>>48890948
It's the keen sight that I'm not a big fan of really, it can't speak so it can't convey information that well but with 19 PP and +4 with advantage active perception as long as the check is about seeing takes away from what is normally done by the perceptive ones in the party. There are already things that can do this, like the mastiff from Find Steed which can communicate telepathically or the beast master's pet, and maybe it's not much of an issue, but it just seems like it would make the game less fun for someone.
>>
>>48891768
I personally don't like the idea of a class entirely based around gear the rest of the world inexplicably can't use, and I really hate universal nullifier (though the odds of actually getting to it in a game make it basically irrelevant)
In terms of how mechanically sound it is it's kind of hard for me to tell since there's a lot of information to go through.
>>
>>48891690
how about the levels before that?
>>
>>48891906
I dunno - a bunch of other familiar options have multiple keens. The owl, for instance, has two keens and flyby, so it can use the help action in combat without putting itself in any danger. It literally has 1 less PP than the oberserver, but has advantage on both sight and hearing instead of just sight.

Where do you get 19 PP though? It has 14 PP.
>>
>>48891944
Since illusions are fucking awesome, and you're playing wizard which is either the best or second best class in the game, they do just great.
>>
>>48891549
A simple combination of fighter 2/sorcerer3/warlock2 with a high enough level to get four eldritch basts.

Cast hex.
Use agonizing blast.
Use quickened spell - agonizing blast again.
Action surge. Agonizing blast again.

You can see under OP for some other suggestions such as sneak attacking after eldritch blasting and all that.
>>
>>48890990
>>48891210
So the average of all 6 stats is 8
You get 2 15s, or 1 17.
How high/low can your strength go while still keeping the average at 8?

The answer is 3 and 9/18. 3+15+15+4+3+8, 3+17+13+4+3+8. 9+15+15+3+3+3, 18+17+4+3+3+3. Not sure why you ask though.
>>
>>48892013
This is the kind of shit that turned me off 5e. Powergaming by accident
>>
>>48892035
You can't "powergame" in fucking 5e.
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>48888994

>3 levels in Rogue
>Auto-crit

How often do you really think a DM is going to let you get away with getting a surprise round?

That shit will never happen often enough to warrant taking assassin as a Rogue choice over Swashbuckler WILL IT?
>>
God damned Mike Mearls, has he ever even glanced at a medieval manual on fighting before? Goddamn the UA on feats was hard to read.

What is this insane concern with 'balance'? None of the weapon-related feats have ANYTHING to do with the weapons themselves.
- The Axe feats are mechanical permutations of AD/DA, and say nothing about what war-axes would have been useful for (aside from being utilitarian, pendulum blades were very useful at causing structural failure of mail). If the Flail feat down below can specify Shields, why doesn't this feat specify Mail-based armors?
- The Blade Master feat is just ridiculous; why would you need to use a reaction to be in a "parrying" stance?
- Flails in general are silly (and Victorian), but entangling foes is absolutely not something that would have happened
- Polearms need to have more granularity in general, but requiring a bonus action to grant reach is super silly.

This stuff is worse than the majority of homebrew.
>>
>>48892053

Swashbuckler contributes nothing to the build though (except I guess Charsima to initiative). Assassin getting to auto crit (not too unfeasible considering you can EB from 500 feet away with Spell Sniper and the Eldritch Spear invocation) is taken because getting the auto crit actually contributes to your build somewhat.
>>
>>48891595
Wait, what's ED?

If you mean eldritch blast, of course it doesn't.
But it works with eldritch knight's bonus attack after making an eldritch blast.

If you kill your target with hex, you can use a bonus action to reapply the hex to a different target.
However, the biggest issue here is that bonus action - you need that bonus action on eldritch knight to get the extra attack/quickened spell.

Those sorcerer levels are for quickened spell. They could honestly be worth it when it gives you several uses of an extra eldritch blast alongside more spellslots.

You will not have disadvantage with spell attack rolls in melee if you take the feat I suggested for fighter that gives you no disadvantage for ANY ranged attack in melee and +1 to hit.

>>48891613
If it's an ability check and you do not apply your proficiency bonus, you apply it.
Initiative is one example - you apply jack of all trades to initiative.
>>
>>48891538
It was wrong in 3.5 but there were morons who assumed it was purely looks all the way to 1e.
>>
>>48891990
Is there any familiar option that has good perception and is able to communicate or understand language? I don't think it's a huge thing and owls doing the fly-by help is really good for combat, but it's something I would find annoying as a GM that focuses on staying alert and such. Passive perception gets a +/-5 for advantage/disadvantage.
>>
>>48892053
No, it doesn't happen consistently often. That's one of the things people completely fail to understand when they talk about how "assassinate novas are OP".

>>48892084
You won't get any sneak attack from 400 feet away. 3 levels in rogue just for circumstantial auto-crits, which only add an additional d10 to each ray, is hardly a worthy investment.
>>
>>48891591
To be honest, it shouldn't be like that.

But you're not bad for playing it like that.

Because otherwise you can't have a socially awkward warlock, for example.

It's kind of a tricky subject.
>>
>>48892103
>Is there any familiar option that has good perception and is able to communicate or understand language?
The observer can't communicate a language my man - check out the 'Languages' block. I'll remark that any familiar can telepathically communicate with its master, and thus are able both to communicate and understand said master regardless of their current form.
>>
>>48892105
We're not making an "OP" build, it's a silly theory crafting idea.
>>
>>48892105
You will get sneak attacks if you use eldritch knight and you get into melee.

Not only that, I also suggested under OP that you go for 5 levels in rogue.

This gives you uncanny dodge.

This way, you have 3d6 sneak attack if you combine it with eldritch knight's bonus attack after casting eldritch blast.

Then, you also have uncanny dodge which means you can half damage of any attack-roll attack, which might well be worth it.

What else would you put those levels in but tankiness and potential extra damage?
Eldritch blast advances regardless of what you multi-class into, so you can afford to take slightly questionable level-ups.
Rogue gives not only more tankiness, but potential extra damage if combined with eldritch knight's attack.
>>
How do I play the character who is interested in learning about everything magic and is only not bored and apathetic when dangerous things are happening that engage him without making them annoying as shit?
>>
>>48892110
I think it's perfectly fine - charisma is as much an internal strength and force of spirit as it is an external one.
>>
>>48892003
I don't see why illusions are that great, outside of utility, but I imaigne that can be covered BY things outside of illusion?

Would you say /; do you think illusionists require a bit more DM leniency to be truly effective? or is that an unfounded fear?

I'm just looking to try out a wizard class that can more dick around with opponents than outright blow em up.
>>
>>48892154
Play warforged.
Become Marvin the Depressed Android.
>>
File: read the fucking book.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read the fucking book.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>48892147
>You will get sneak attacks if you use eldritch knight and you get into melee
No. No you won't.
>>
How are conjuration wizards?
>>
>>48892105
>>48892083

I was just talking about Rogues in general. I was blatantly disregarding your Eldtrich Blast Wave Cannon shenanigans.

Might kill myself in a campaign at this rate. Assassin is useless overall
>>
>>48892163
If you have two levels in warlock, you can cast 'silent image' at will.
The level 14 illusionist can then, at will, create an adamantine box, anywhere, anytime.

I wouldn't call it overpowered, and not as powerful as anon makes it out to be, but it's certainly an interesting ability. You can, at will, make an image within a 15 ft cube and make it real as long as it doesn't have any moving parts.
>>48892181
Alright. Tell me, where?
Where does it say you WON'T get a sneak attack if you meet the requirements and attack with a rapier as your bonus attack, hm?
>>
>>48892204
Rouges are fucking crazy in situations.
>>
>>48892138
I should play a chainlock at some point, then maybe I'll learn what their features are. Until then, I suppose I'll keep being wrong on the internet, I did not remember all of them got telepathy.
>>
>>48892163
>I don't see why illusions are that great
Here's a guide that touches on why illusions are so good.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit
They're amazing both in combat and out.

>>48892216
Read fucking Sneak Attack.
>>
>>48892238

Dude, if you have advantage (as in this theoretical situation where you're getting the surprise round) you'll get the sneak attack damage. I fail to see why you be denied sneak attack.
>>
>>48892204
OP here.
Yes, I did talk about assassinate shenangians.
No, I do not expect you to get a lot of autocrits out from it unless you are actively plotting or you can see enemies from a long distance away and eldritch blast them from a long distance away.

However, I've seen a guy with crazy initiative ALWAYS get advantage on their first turn as they always get somewhere ridiculously high. This means they don't have to worry about teammates or advantage to get sneak attack on their first turn.
However, there's a lot of players in the party so this becomes even more important, with the encounters being a bit shorter.
Assassin is great if you have very short encounters.
I think arcane trickster is better, but if your DM is the right sort of DM and you're in the right campaign assassin can work wonders given your sneak attack dice crit too.

>>48892238
Quote it.
Quote the exact thing I am violating.
>>
>>48892233
Jah - find familiar is gr8. Chain lock options are pretty good too. I'd only played with an owl (which is an amazing option itself by the way) until I started playtesting the observer/moon presence patron out. Loving it so far - I just find it terribly entertaining when my little floating eyeball goes through a door and just *looks* at things (since it can't interact with anything for shit) before just floating on back.
>>
>>48892204

Yeah assassin is pretty lame but at least Rogue is a good class on it's own.
>>
>>48892272
KEEP. READING. SNEAK. ATTACK. YOU BLIND. FUCKER.

>>48892278
>>48892272
THE ATTACK MUST USE A FINESE OR A RANGED WEAPON.
Holy fuck you people are awful readers.
>>
>>48892172
To be more specific, I want to play a character that has a abnormal intelligence and natural aptitude for magic, but squanders most of his talents unless it is "interesting" and by interesting, dangerous or like a mystery that seems impossible to solve and also likely has danger.

The kind of character who doesn't seem unfriendly or cold until you or someone near you come under the scrutiny of his interest and then you can see the layers of machination hiding the calculating and unfeeling truth below.

I feel like I'm not getting this across well and I don't want to fall into a lame edgy character which I'm sure is what this sounds like but I want to try to pull it off without seeming like edglelord 9000. To be fair, my party is consistently far more edgy.

Any advice?
>>
>>48892315
>eldritch knight makes a melee weapon attack after casting a cantrip
>MELEE WEAPON ATTACK
>USE A RAPIER
>IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU USE STRENGTH OR DEXTERITY TO HIT WITH IT
>A RAPIER IS A FINESSE WEAPON
>you can now sneak attack after casting a cantrip
>>
>>48892278

Advantage =/= Assassinate Reason.

Who cares about that? It's the auto-crits that matter.

I'd hate to say it, but not many GM's give a shit about surprise rounds. Rogue's on the weaker side if you choose assassin, with that logic
>>
>>48892315

>Holy fuck you people are awful readers

dex fighters are a thing. the guy is explicitly using rapier to attack too. quit being such a fag.
>>
>>48892051

>Divination Portent Wizard.

Powergaming.
>>
>>48892338
I find it really *REALLY* funny that you swapped from talking about eldritch blast
>>48892084
to sneaking in eldritch knight, which I wasn't fucking talking about at all
>>48892147
and which I thought you'd said "eldritch blast" instead, given *that's what had been being discussed*.
>>
>>48892316
A good way to pull off that sort of a character without looking edgy is to give them very obvious flaws, and not just 'oh, he has demons inside him fighting for control'

In a good book I read some time ago there was a powerful mage who, throughout the books, rose to power. They were probably along the lines of your kind of person.
They had a very dumb fighter-ish brother.

The fighter and others have to help them out a lot, because this mage is incredibly sickly. Though they have great power, they're constantly reliant on others due to their health.

Now, it's obvious a wizard has less health, but you'd have to put this across -
Honestly you'd end up getting a low con score and dying prematurely. I don't know.

But yes, think of a weakness to couneract the edginess and allow others to end up helping your character because of that weakness.

>>48892348
And that's what I'm saying.
If you have the right DM, it might work.
Also, if you go lone wolf a lot, you're more likely to get the jump on people, and your party will hate you.
Also, if you're 500ft away from an enemy from a tree and snipe them with an eldritch blast, that probably will qualify for a surprise round and if your DM doesn't allow it flip their shit and demand retribution and purge the unclean.
>>
>>48892375
There's nothing "powergaming" about fixing two dice every long rest with the results of two other random rolls. It's good - it's not fucking "powergaming".
>>
>>48892299
Honestly, despite all the nay-sayers I found Arcane Trickster to be incredible in its utility. Even if you get very limited spells they are in two of the best schools and the class cab split Dex/Int very easily.

Thief Rogues are still king though and need no explanation.
>>
>>48892395
I still have no idea what ED is.

I have stated several times and in the thread that eldritch knight plays a part in this.

Level 7 fighter.
Eldritch knight.
You get a bonus attack after casting a cantrip.
Maybe I didn't state that every time because I assumed people were on the boat with it. In >>48892147 I literally state "You will get sneak attacks if you use eldritch knight and you get into melee."
Note how I mention Eldritch Knight there. I didn't mention what exact feature, but I did mention Eldritch Knight played a part of it.
>>
>>48892406
Thanks for the advice. Aside the obvious -1 to STR he has, he is young so he's smallish and naive despite his intelligence and prone to heading into danger because he doesn't value a life that isn't exciting.

I don't know if that'd be enough flaws to counter-act the edginess. I'm working on it though.
>>
>>48892395

Dude, go re-read the original post dumbass. He mentions casting Eldritch Blast and then using the War Magic bonus action granted from casting a cantrip to make a regular attack.

>>48892439

Arcane Trickster is by far my favorite subclass for Rogue. I just love the magical utility they get, and getting advantage on any attack as a bonus action is a great level 14 feature.
>>
>>48892442
I think arrogance wouldn't cut it. A lot of casters often end up with negatives in strength.

Perhaps finding something that doesn't affect combat too much that could apply, such as a medical condition where he... I don't know. The key is to make it seem not like he is 'that omniscient, arrogant prick' but 'that really smart but arrogant guy, who still needs our help'
>>
>>48892418

>Wish

Powergaming?
>>
>>48892441
I've been talking about eldritch blast this whole time, given the other retard I was addressing.
OH. I found the error
>>48892105
Was meant to be aimed at >>48892083
I hit your post instead and got lost.
It all comes together.
>>
>>48891928
>>48891796
Is a LOT of reading.
I was thinking of trying to fluff it as a kind of sorcery, and the gadgets go inert after a certain amount of time, or a certain range away from the character.
Mechanically, it seems to function like a warlock on short rests, but like a wizard in that it has a lot of flexibility (though less powerful effects then wizard spells overall imo)
Fairly squishy with d6 hit die, seems to be mostly a support class
>>
>>48892475
Yeah, that's a tough one. I don't want to be completely fucked in combat by having him be sickly...

Perhaps his antics before he met with the party earned him an injury that hasn't healed right but he goes to lengths to hide it because of his pride. Keep it mostly fluff so I don't have to reduce health or anything.
>>
>>48892481
>using a spell is powergaming
It is explicitly stated as the most powerful spell even in its description, but c'mon my man. It's a 9th level spell.
>>
>>48891768
It seems like a more complicated version of Mercers gunslinger class with more flaws.
>>
>>48892485
Oh, I suppose that makes more sense.
And honestly, even if that wasn't the case, I misread and misdirect myself constantly.

I think the deal with eldritch blast at a distance is while you won't get sneak attack benefits, if you do get the autocrit benefits it becomes definitely worth it.

I still have mixed feelings about the whole build idea, given how crazy other builds could be at level 17. I'll probably never get to try it.

I guess the levels in rogue were just 'icing on the cake'.
>>
>>48892485

Even though I responded to you ages ago? It's not about making an OP Assassin nova build. It was a silly theory crafting build that maximizes the amount of damage you do from Eldritch Blast in one turn.

Not to mention hitting someone with Eldritch Blast from 500 feet away would absolutely give you a surprise round.

Seriously, you've been going on a tirade against the wrong person for how long now? Quit the superiority complex, you're the moron in this conversation.
>>
>>48892516
Or you could take things that aren't likely to affect him too much.

Having an arm that doesn't function very well (perhaps broken and can't be healed by magic for some reason when they first meet the party, might heal later which is convenient if you then multiclass for shields or something) isn't likely to cause a wizard too many problems, and the times it does you can have someone else help him.

Maybe there's some sort of curse or effect that's stopping them from sitting down and reading a book properly. Maybe they've got a curse of twitchiness, or dyslexia or something.
>>
>>48892051
How is powergaming not possible in 5e let alone in any system?
>>
>>48892550
I don't think 3 levels in rogue just for circumstantial one or two extra d10s is all that worth man.

>>48892553
Same to you except I'll add more vitriol - it's not fucking worth it dipshit. You're going to be far less generally effective than any given pure-classer by doing all those stupid dips just for a circumstantial one-round nova. Novas aren't even *GOOD* in 5e - the fights are long, the enemies are many, and the HP pools are huge.
>>
>>48892588
There's nothing in 5e that's far and away more powerful than anything else. Even if you're a complete retard, you can still contribute a whole lot to a party, given just your corpse and the base skills and stats of your class keep you from falling too far behind anyone else.

There's no ivory tower in 5e - at best you have a short stump.
>>
>>48892596

>It's not worth it

It's a silly theory crafting build. It's not about whether it's "worth it". It's about maximizing the numbers you do in one turn. I'm not playing this in a game and I probably never will (especially because it's not really conducive to the roleplaying aspects of the game).

There is no need to have such an autistic fit over this.
>>
>>48892633
Given this whole chain is in response to dipshits like this guy >>48892035 who I want to stop existing, pretty sure I'm within my rights telling him exactly why he's fucking wrong ^_^
>>
File: tshocahri.jpg (2KB, 110x110px) Image search: [Google]
tshocahri.jpg
2KB, 110x110px
Does anybody know if the tshochari from lords of madness have ever been reprinted in 4e or 5e?
>>
>>48892664
Not that I'm aware of.
>>
>>48892596
There aren't a lot of other options.

You have eldritch blast.
Eldritch blast levels without regard for multiclassing.
You want to get as many eldritch blasts a turn as possible, constantly.

Sorcerer3 is one possible stop for that - you can quickened spell eldritch blast as a sorcerer point. More levels gives more sorcerer points.

Warlock 5 over warlock 2 allows a third invocation, and there are three primary eldritch blast invocations.

Eldritch knight allows you to use a bonus action (that the sorcerer might want) to make a melee attack. The melee attack isn't that great, but it's some extra damage. It also grants you some nice health and armour.
Also that +1 to hit and no disadvantage in melee range fighting style from the underdark UA.
Also action surge.

Rogue then works off of eldritch knight to sometimes give sneak attack with your bonus action while you eldritch blast.
Then, rogue 3 allows you to get assassinate, which is the only rogue archetype which directly upgrades your eldritch blast... Sometimes.
Rogue 5 gives you a brilliant tanking ability.

If you focus on a caster, such as warlock, you will get more spells.

It's all about thinking of things that you can do while eldritch blasting at the same time.
I'd say the core build is either warlock2/eldritch knight 7 or warlock2/sorcerer 3.
>>
>>48892695
>there aren't a lot of other options
For your silly nova build? Or in general?
>>
>>48892719
For maximizing the use of eldritch blast.

You could keep levelling warlock and become a pure warlock, but it wouldn't improve your eldritch blast.
The theory is that since warlocks quite often resort to eldritch blasting, you could do better than the warlock at eldritch blasting by multiclassing (at the expense of later level warlock features.)

Sorcerer and eldritch knight are two of very few things that can interact with eldritch blast.
Rogue just then interacts with eldritch knight after eldritch knight interacts with eldritch blast.
>>
File: Femshep Infiltrator.jpg (54KB, 736x491px) Image search: [Google]
Femshep Infiltrator.jpg
54KB, 736x491px
So in my regular weekly game, my Bardlock just died. I took too much pirate damage, and failed all my death saves before any of the other characters noticed. Then the fiend consumed his soul and body in hellfire right there on the deck of the ship. RIP Luther Vareshi. C'est la Vie.

So my companions are continuing on their way to one of the many remote islands in the province, and I'm thinking they'll find me there.

So, my question is, bearing in mind I understand the limitations of 5E, what race/class/combo of classes can I roll up to best capture the feeling of the Infiltrator from ME? I love that Skill+Soldier mix, and I'm in the mood for a sniper/grenadier/tacticool character.

Our party has a super tanky bear druid, an enchanter/illusionist wizard, a cleric whose player has a spotty schedule, and a rogue played by the wizard's GF who isn't really in to D&D and is only really there to be around the wizard player.

Any ideas?
>>
>>48892680
thats a shame. They were one of my favorites. I hope they get reprinted at some point!
>>
>>48892759
I think trying to maximize the output of a cantrip at the expense of almost everything else isn't worth it imo.
I'd rather just go full warlock and get better spells - a higher level concentration spell +just regular EBs is almost always going to be more useful than getting a little more out of just EB.
>>
>>48892579
I think I will go with the arm idea, thanks anon. That's a good one.
>>
Any of you guys played with Speed Factor Initiative from the DMG? My group started out with Dynamic Initiative (roll at the start of every round) but went back to normal set system because of how long it made combat take. It seems Speed Factor ends up suffering from the same issue from what I've read, so I kind of want to convince my group away from it. Any advice?
>>
>>48892806

Is it a stealth guns class? Maybe just a standard crossbow Rogue.
>>
>>48892818
I wouldn't say it isn't worth it.

It's the best cantrip in the game, though conditionally sacred fire might be better for very specific clerics.

a 1d10+5 damage cantrip.

I think there's quite a few bonuses to the build.
A regular warlock does not get heavy armour as an option.
A regular warlock cannot use shields.
A regular warlock gets less spell slots, even if they're low level spell slots used to cast spells like 'shield' or more hexes.
A regular warlock does not get uncanny dodge.
A regular warlock doesn't get second wind.
A regular warlock doesn't get +1 to all their attacks.
A regular warlock has disadvantage on ranged attacks within 5ft.
A regular warlock doesn't get advantage to hit
on the first turn.

I'd say the main thing of this eldritch blasting warlock is that they've got more tankiness options overall. Better AC, a tiny heal, more spells that can be used for absorb elements/shield... Uncanny dodge for halved damage on any attack roll against you, once a turn. They don't get the level 10 warlock feature, and some of the high level warlock spells, but...

Honestly I wouldn't call it overpowered, but viable and potentially interesting.
>>
File: Infiltrator Class.jpg (39KB, 608x342px) Image search: [Google]
Infiltrator Class.jpg
39KB, 608x342px
>>48892900
Stealth, sniping, grenadier, hacking/unlocking, traps.
>>
>>48892942

>stealth

sounds like a rogue

>sniper

can be roguish

>grenadier

Thief archtype

>Hacking/Unlocking/Traps

Rogue it is!

If you want more attacks and to not be a Rogue like uninterested GF you can go Dex Eldritch Knight and use blast spells for the grenades. Just pick up proficiency in thieve's tools from somewhere and you'll be able to disarm traps and pick locks. You won't get expertise though.
>>
>>48892879
Just bring it up with the DM, I suppose.

If it's not specifically unfair (Sometimes alternative initiatives can be unfair to certain characters. For example, a small gnome rogue assassin by speed factor gets a bunch of initiative bonuses that means they'll often proc assassin's first-turn advantage. It's a little less fair to people who dump dexterity, which is already the 'god-stat'.)
.. anyway, if it's not specifically unfair to someone, you can't bring up that sort of case.

However, you can always say that 5e isn't supposed to be a complicated game. It's supposed to be sleek and run a bit faster, without careful monitoring of various stats.

However, it does sound like speed factor can be done well if everyone works out their initiatives and hurries up.
>>
>>48892941
I'd take spells greater than second level and higher level class features over those other quirks desu.
Almost all those things are only really consistently relevant to a melee character, which I need not be as a warlock.
>>
File: Femshep Infiltrator Sheet.jpg (80KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Femshep Infiltrator Sheet.jpg
80KB, 960x720px
>>48892806
>>48892942

>>48892900
>>48892981

I should add, the party is only level 3 currently, so I'm not expecting a full build. Just the foundations.
>>
>>48893011
It kind of feels like it deserves to be better compared to a fighter or pure eldritch knight, however.

You're basically an eldritch knight with a few less hitpoints, but more damage, who somehow runs off of charisma instead of intellect along with probably strength for heavy armour or dex if you feel like better saves and better initiative and dexskills.
Might want warcaster so you don't keep having to upt your weapon away and for that sweet cantrip on opportunity attack, though you probably want the reactions for other things.

Yes, definitely more of a fighter with some tankiness. I imagine the character starting as a fighter and then getting warlock later.
>>
>>48893042

Rogue 3 is the foundation. You can go Arcane Trickster if you want the illusion and stealth skills for expertise and better infiltrating. If you want to just shoot more often go Fighter instead so you can shoot a lot.

I think Rogue is probably what you're looking for. Just straight Arcane Trickster or Thief.
>>
Real talk.

As someone who's never played a Martial, why would I ever fucking play Rogue when I can just stick to being Bard a god of charisma? Or some blatantly OP Warlock, beyond a dip?

I can't be sold on this class. Not unless it came with the +10 dagger of auto-aim throwing or some bonkers shit attached
>>
>>48888769
Sup 5eg. Checking in to see:

>What new content is there in 5e since christmas? Don't care if it's from wotc or dmg, so long as it's good.
>Any good new adventures?
>Any new good monster/enemy books?
>Domain/Faction management mechanics?
>Exploration minigame mechanics?
>Cool new character options?
>>
>>48893102

Earlier expertise and better damage outside of spell slots.

Cunning Action is one of the best abilities in the game. Uncanny Dodge and Evasion are two more of the best abilities in the game. Free saving throw proficiency at later levels. Reliable talent.

Rogues are ridiculously solid.
>>
>>48893102
>dodge around the battlefield around using Cunning Action's bonus action dash/disengage
>Uncanny Dodge to halve damage on that unlucky time you're actually hit
>Evasion lets you breeze through Dex AoEs without a care
>Reliable Talent means you're never worrying about doing poor on Stealth or any skill you're proficient with
>that extra ASI at 10th is pretty nice, too
>>
How should I divide the levels for sorclock?
>>
>>48893081
Pure EK is just a fighter with five ribbon features though.
I like armored magic fighter as a concept but EK doesn't do it. And your build is less of that than just EB spamming I feel
>>
All I see are these crazy multi-class builds to optimize out some situational bonuses. Here I am playing a class from level 1-20 all the way each time. With the archetype system and other UA releases I've yet to find a character that doesn't make sense on a single class.
>>
>>48893150
0/x or x/0
>>
>>48893169
Mono-classes are virtually always mechanically just better anyways, with only a few exceptions.
>>
>>48893150
What do you mean?
Spell levels?

Warlocks do not get the spellcasting feature. Unlike other spellcasters, their spellcasting levels will not accumulate alongside other spellcasting features from other classes.

You stack the spells you gain from warlock spellcasting onto sorcerer spellcasting.
Here's an example:

>warlock5/sorcerer5
You would have 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2 slots and 4 level 3 slots, you would gain 2 of the level 3 slots back on a rest.
You also get all the cantrips from warlock (3, I believe?) plus all the cantrips from sorcerer (4, I think?) for a total of 7.
You can cast sorcerer spells with your warlock pact magic slots.

If you're asking for an optimal build.. Go think of it yourself. Maybe warlock2/sorcerer18?

>>48893158
It's EB spamming but with more armour and an extra attack which could have rogueishness or something applied.
EK by itself is kind of lame, as normal cantrips don't do as much damage as eldritch blast.
Boomingblade or greenflameblade can help EK at certain levels, though.
>>
File: maroo birb.png (146KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
maroo birb.png
146KB, 256x256px
So if I understand this, a familiar can give advantage on attack rolls to a single ally every turn right?
>>
>>48893158

EK would be perfect if the cantrip from War Magic was their bonus action. As it is they have two competing features in Extra Attack and War Magic. It's a silly amount of anti-synergy.

The fact that most blast spells don't do as much damage as you swinging your weapon doesn't help either, and blast spells are one of your only two schools you can pick from freely. You get some good shit from the abjuration school but evocation is mostly dead weight.
>>
>>48893205
With the use of the Help action, yes.

You can also perch it on your party rogue's shoulder to get him sneak attack every turn.

A single AoE will toast your little familiar, though.
>>
>>48893191
But I do more damage with a 5th level concentration spell on the field as a mono-warlock spamming EB.
Or as a battlemaster fighter using feinting attacks swinging a greatsword with GWM.
>>
>>48893215
There's trouble with that though - if they got their full attacks and free bonus bonus action cantrips, they'd actually be *overly* competitive at that point.
>>
>>48891492
what spell level? Let's say half the cost of an item that could cast that level once a day.
>>
>>48893183
If you pick a random multi-class, of course. It's much easier to do a multi-class wrong than a mono-class.

Level 20 in most classes is usually better than multi-classing, but people rarely reach that point.

Some multiclass ideas I've been throwing around are barbarian-rogue (A strength rogue), eldritchknight-warlock (hexing and eldritch blasting), greatweaponfighting half-orc-championfighter-barbarian (for just critting a lot I suppose and getting the most out of those crits)

Honestly, it requires a lot of thought, and there's a good reason it's not actively encouraged to new players.
>>
>>48893244

Maybe, but I don't know if it would be enough of a damage buff to make it beat out Battle Master. It might be slightly abuseable with GWM I guess? But it's still only one extra attack and it eats your bonus action.

If they could make two extra attacks at level 11 with War Magic and 3 with War Magic at level 20 I figure it'd probably be roughly even. If it somehow beat Battle Master I doubt it'd be by much.
>>
>>48893258
3rd level spell
>>
>>48893262
No. Not just random multiclasses. I mean period. There are quite literally less than a handful of builds that end up more effective through multiclassing period. Monk and paladin specifically can be made better by not playing either of them to 20. Literally no other class is really like that in general though.
>>
>>48893274
It would beat out battlemaster at higher levels over not all that many rounds actually.
>>
>>48893228
I wouldn't say that for sure.
There's a lot of factors and considerations to take into place.

If we're talking level 17, you might well be doing
5d10+20(eldritchblast)+5d6(hex)+1d8+5(rapier)+3d6(sneak attack) damage every turn.
Of course, there's a lot of 'ifs' and but's in there.
The warlock can only use two level 5 spells a short rest, but I won't bring up the point you'd have more spells because not only would Eldritch blast Eldritch knight want to conserve some of their spell slots, but the warlock also gets some invocations and high level spells.
Then, EK and the warlock might consider going for the darkness+devil's sight combo, which complicates things more. That sort of thing.

And then the battlemaster fighter doesn't have a shield. And then you have spells such as absorb elements and shield. And then you have uncanny dodge if you've gone up that route.

Those two will probably do more damage, but probably aren't as great on the defence.

I'd say it's really hard to definitely say 'well, this is better'.
>>
>>48893290
> Monk and paladin specifically can be made better by not playing either of them to 20.

How so? What kind of frankenbuilds do you have in mind?
>>
>>48893290
Eldritch knight can rely solely on cantrips such as booming blade or green flame blade, and thus ignore the fact most fighters want multi-attack and go roaming for other multi-classes.

Warlocks get a very staple eldritch blasting ability that levels without them, and they can go roaming for other multi-classes. As long as you have agonizing blast, you can make almost ANY build and it'll still work. I'm not saying it'll be optimal, but it won't be absolute shite.
Barbarian has a number of levels where they don't gain any particular boost of strength or anything, and could go roaming for multi-classes then. The idea with the barbarian-rogue is that the barbarian could pick up uncanny dodge and some sneak attack dice to add to their damage.

It's not just paladin and monk.
Though, paladin's main feature is certainly the aura of extra save throws, which upgrades at higher levels.
And the monk... The monk still gets some things, like increasing fist damage dice, more ki points and the like.

I don't think playing monk or paladin to level 20 are the best examples, actually.
>>
>>48893405

The problem is you'll get more damage by just using regular attack past level 11 than you will doing two attacks one of which is cantrip enhanced.
>>
>>48893355
Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14 gives you ninth level spell slots, and the sorcerer capstone. In general I think that hybrid brings to a party more than pure paladin does.
With monk you're better off dumping monk and going rogue (even if your DM doesn't give you sneak attack with your fists http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/24/monk-sneak-attack/ ) after you nab extra attack and stunning fist.

>>48893405
I think they are the best examples. Of course they *get* things - it's just that the things they get don't bring as much to the table as the things they can get from something else.
>>
>>48893349
20 battlemaster wins out. Before 17 I'm pretty sure battlemaster also always wins out.
I'd have to do the math for 17/18/19, but that's literally just 3 levels.
>>
>>48893428
Alright. At level 17, without magical weapons, assuming a normal fighter not up any particular archetype, with a one-handed weapon so they can hold a shield, assuming 20 in the stat:

Regular attack: 4d8+20
EK Booming Blade: 2d8+10 + 3d8 + potential extra 4d8 if the target moves.
Or, eldritch blast:
4d10+20+1d8+5

And then we have to start considering lots of other things. That plain fighter won't be a plain fighter - they'll have things like champion extra crits, or they'll be a battlemaster for extra things, or they might be putting their feats elsewhere, et cetera.
The eldritch knight-warlock will have spells like hex for more damage, they will have to spend a feat for warcaster, they might spec into rogue and get sneak attacks on that extra hit for more damage...
Then, eldritch blast damage is force and is much less often resisted, and the plain fighter probably won't use a shield and will great weapon fighter, doesn't have the protection spells and will be less tanky, but more and less predictible damage...

Honestly, these things need to be played alongside each other to really know.

>>48893465
Oh, I forgot about stunning fist. That's a good one.
The monk gets multi-attack and the rogue doesn't, so that works out.
Also, rogue is always a nice class to multiclass into. It gives you extra damage if you're using finesse or ranged weapons all the time (unlike, say, fighter-barbarian multiclass doesn't let you sack multi-attack) and there's that uncanny dodge.
>>
>>48893100
You know what? I think I'm going fighter, if for no other reason than weapon bond. That sounds rad.
>>
>>48893552
You can use a shortsword (since it's a monk weapon) as a monk too for your sneak attack if for whatever reason your dm is a huge stickler about the sneak attack thing (again, pointing to http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/24/monk-sneak-attack/ )
>>
File: 1466977446261.jpg (93KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
1466977446261.jpg
93KB, 1024x614px
FRIENDS, I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS

WHAT RACES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED FOR VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS?

WILL THE FIRBOLG BE A LARGE RACE?

THANK YOU
>>
>>48893527
Yes, they'll get extra, champions will have extra too
But it's not that simple.

There are tankiness things to consider.
There are situational things where one build cannot output its full potential.
There are things where one fighter has more action surges.
One fighter might have spells which could do interesting things. They might be holding hex on a target or be using darkness to get advantage on all their rolls and stop enemies from being able to even see them, but fucking up their team because nobody else has devil's sight.
Or enemies might have truesight.

Or enemies might resist magical weapon damage and say 'fuck you, darkness'
Or enemies might have necrotic resistance and not care about hex.

Or your DM might give everyone +3 weapons, which matters much more for a champion or battlemaster.

Magical weapon damage is resisted more than force damage.

It just really isn't simple.
>>
>>48893227
>You can also perch it on your party rogue's shoulder to get him sneak attack every turn.
Damn glad we don't have a rogue. I'm also asking because I'm a gm
Also The warlock got an owl as familiar so no AOO when it moves out of reach so yeah g unless an enemy targets it or there's an aoe that owl won't die (not that I actively want to kill it either)
>>
>>48893552

Most of the time the static modifiers will make up for it (and the calculation is off anyways, you're forgetting the +8/+4 due to dueling). It's also much less eggs in one basket deal, if your cantrip attack misses you're dealing 1d8+7 that round.

I should clarify though that I'm talking specifically about Eldritch Knight vs Battle Master though (since champion is garbage regardless).

>>48893561

Yeah, it's a cool ability and you can still be a little stealthy if you go Dex. Pick up a Crossbow, grab Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter (the former before you pick up extra attack) and pew pew away, using your spells to support your defenses/as utility/for aoe.
>>
File: MikeMeralsisafag.png (357KB, 1440x1535px) Image search: [Google]
MikeMeralsisafag.png
357KB, 1440x1535px
Does WotC require a book to be returned to get a replacement?
>>
>>48893649
Probably. Most companies that do replacement services do.
>>
>>48893617
If your point is that different builds are different, nobody is contesting that. My point is only that pure warlock has more utility and more damage, and that pure fighter has more damage.
In general, I'd want either of them more than the odd EB hyrbid doodaloo.
>>
>>48893642
If you're eldritch blasting, you have four attacks rather than one attack.

If you're booming blade-ing, then it's also true that if you hit you're doing the full effect rather than having some things miss and some things hit.

Though to be fair I'm still sort of talking about the eldritch knight multiclass.

Eldritch knight itself without multiclassing will do less damage, but I think is probably a better tank and more fun at parties.
>>
File: only a faggot would.png (184KB, 390x318px) Image search: [Google]
only a faggot would.png
184KB, 390x318px
>>48893649
Lol Mike Mearls.
>>
>>48893693

Like I said, my post wasn't attempting to compare the EB based build with anything. It was just looking at EK vs Battle Master as a follow up to why I felt EK was disappointing overall.

It's important to consider too that the EK doing cantrip+attack falls behind more and more the less they attack because you go from getting 12 damage off your weapon bonus to just +6.
>>
>>48893687
I wouldn't definitely say they'd always do more damage. There are cases like 'this monster resists X!' that come up.

But overall I do expect those builds to do more damage. If they don't, something is fundamentally wrong with the system.
Because those builds are there and built to do damage, as opposed to boogaloo that has a bunch of extra defence benefits.

Even raw eldritch knight has spells like 'shield' and 'absorb elements', and is more likely to be using a shield.

Don't even get anyone started on ranged combat. There's a lot of "well, regular eldritch knight just has firebolt as opposed to four arrows a round" but then "great weapon fighters probably have shit dexterity" but then "eldritch knights probably have even shitter int" but then...

So, yes. That's how it should be, I hope.
>>
File: Garrus.png (205KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
Garrus.png
205KB, 300x350px
>>48893642
The only thing to do know is round out the hacking/lockpicking/stealth abilities. Arcane Trickster would give me access to Invisibility much faster. Plus sneak attack.

But I think Extra attacks, and action surge would make up for the extra damage
>>
>>48893764

Fighter will probably do more damage. You can get Invisibility around the same time, it just has to be one of your free spells unlike Arcane Trickster. If you get proficiency in Thieve's tools somehow (I think you can give up a skill proficiency for a tool one, and backgrounds might give them) you can do lock picking. Get proficiency in stealth for stealth of course.

There's no hacking. You're shit out of luck there.
>>
>>48893730
I think if anyone tries to pay an EK to deal damage, they're going to be disappointed.

I can't remember if there are any good defence spells aside from maybe mirror image and shield and absorb elements.

Had a rogue once who went arcane trickster and wanted to start flinging fireballs.
I was thinking of making some way to make them fairly sneak attack with magic, but I don't think I got around to that. I didn't want to break their heart by telling them "No, that's never going to be viable."
>>
>>48893763
Take this archetype. Say our warlock has moonbeam up as a concentration spell at 17th level. Say they're *ONLY* hitting one target, and that the target has a 50/50 shot of saving.
That's everything >>48893349 gets here + an average of 20.625 radiant damage (I can think of nothing in the MM that is actually resistant to radiant damage off the top of my head), which is more than the average of 1d8+5 +3d6 (which averages exactly 20) while not needing to meet the qualifications for sneak attack. + they have other spells (including high level ones) they can use.
>>
>>48893834
this archetype >>48891015
>>
>>48893811

They don't need it. If they're hidden the save is disadvantaged which is fine on it's own, and you can Booming Blade or Green flame blade with sneak attack for damage.

arcane trickster is fine almost entirely on the virtue of the rogue being great on it's own.
>>
>>48893804
>There's no hacking. You're shit out of luck there.

Pffffthaha, yeah I know. I'm thinking more trap building, trap disarming, and things like that. I was just using the word.

I mean we're on a pirate ship.
>>
>>48893873

Thankfully as far as I know Thieve's tools also covers trap building.
>>
>>48893834
Though there's a lot of problems with using moonbeam as an example, including things like having to relocate it all the time if enemies move...

I think disintegrate would be a better example. Assume a warlock can cast level 9, 8, 7 and 6 disintegrate, each once a day. Then some level 5 disintegrates, which don't exist but hey, and then eldritch blasts.

If you look at it from disintegrate perspective you can see a lot more damage output there. Though you still have to consider things like magic resistance for advantage on save throws against magic.

But yes, still, the ordinary warlock isn't too great defence-wise.
>>
File: asdfasdf.png (514KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdf.png
514KB, 600x617px
>you can grant advantage to ranged attacks with help action
for whataever reason I was under the impression both attacker and helper had to be within 5ft of the target, and not just the guy using help action
>>
>>48893850
Oh, right, booming blade can also potentially get sneak attack damage.
Maybe ditching the warlock shindig and going EK7/rogue5 might be a thing.

It's not arcane trickster being bad. It's that they wanted to pick fireball and hoped they could start being a bit of a cantrip spellcaster sometimes flinging fireballs around. When really, the only time that'd be a good idea is if you can't sneak attack.
>>
>>48894149
You can also have foresight on your 17th level warlock for most of the adventuring day - generally all of it - making your attacks much more likely to land and thus upping your damage. + you have advantage on *everything else*, and the enemy always has disadvantage against you.
>>
>>48893649
>spending money on books
>not torrenting pdfs so Mike Mearls can starve
>>
File: 1465261844641.jpg (94KB, 750x752px) Image search: [Google]
1465261844641.jpg
94KB, 750x752px
FRIENDS

WILL FIRBOLG BE A LARGE RACE?
>>
How far past 'deadly' can you go before you're basically just making a TPK-encounter?

I want to make my players fight for their lives for ones, but I don't want to outright kill them.
>>
>>48894232
I'm torn. I don't like big races, they complicate play and making the GM have to keep them in mind constantly. At the same time I really want to see how they handle it. If the question was "will they release a large race" I'd lean towards no, but when it's already confirmed to be Firbolgs and it is in a monster book, it's more likely.

TL;DR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>48894232
Doubtful, but you never know.

The big problem it could present is the use of Large-sized weapons, which deal double damage dice, meaning that you'd be a fool not to play them as a melee martial unless there are some definitive drawbacks. And racial drawbacks just aren't a thing in 5e so far.
>>
>>48894248
Use this
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?367697-Encounter-difficulty-how-to-fix-it
I think it depends a lot on tactics though. My group fought a guy once that hated adventurers and had buffs when attacking a single target, so he killed my character and then went down himself. If they move on and basically a TPK is required for someone to die (or a crit etc) then probably 25% or something above deadly?
>>
File: Eberron_Camapign_Guide.jpg (67KB, 300x404px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron_Camapign_Guide.jpg
67KB, 300x404px
holy shit this setting is awesome. When the fuck are they making an adventure path for it?
>>
>>48894207
Isn't that basically the darkness + devil's sight combination of advantage on verything without truesight/blindsight/devil's sight, and meaning enemies have disadvantage against you if they can even work out your position, and all that?
Which you could obtain as a level 3 warlock.

Well, I'm not very well hearsed on those high level spells because most of that is theorycrafting than actually gets into play.
>>
>>48894410
No, it's significantly way better. You don't block your allies vision. You get advantage on saving throws and ability checks. You can cast it on an *ally*. It lasts way beyond one combat.
It takes *no concentration*.
>>
>no strength rogue
>barbarian exists
>all of barbarian's features match up with rogue's in perfect synergy
>barbarian5/rogue5+
>strength rogue

Do you think it was intentional that barbarian would work so well alongside rogue so that people could play a strength rogue class?
>>
>>48894502
Why would I do that when I could go 20 barb or 20 rogue instead though?
>>
>>48894382
Next year.
>>
>>48894455
I'm still not sure what you're talking about, though.
Wait, let me look it up.
- - - - -
Well, it's odd I never saw that spell before. Actually well beats a spell like wish for non-utility purposes.
>>
>>48894552

uhhh

do you have a source for that?
>>
>>48894559
No shit senpai. It's fucking gr8. As a 9th level spell should be.
>>
>>48894532
You tell me why you'd want to go 20 rogue over having resistance to all damage?
You tell me why you'd rather go 20 barbarian rather than being able to halve damage a second time, getting god-like grappling skills, dex save immunity and all that?

Sure, you might get to rage forever at level 20 barbarian but you'll never reach that far, and not for long.
At least assume level 15 in a class at best.
>>
Does someone have a PDF that includes all the available spells to all classes from all sources (phb, ee, swac)? Just the spell pool, not the description.

Or perhaps it's on one of the links from the OP and I missed it because I'm a complete faggot?
>>
>>48894576
And this is why you shouldn't try working out martial theorycrafting at level 17, because casters are obviously going to be broken in comparison.

I always just liked to assume it'd only be maybe an occasional meteor shower or that one wizard making everyone immortal with wish.
>>
>>48894600
Because I'll do more damage and be way better at what I'm doing.
Because I'll do more damage and be way tankier.

Woah.
>>
>>48889044
I will never get tired of roleplaying that flaw
>>
>>48894618
Martials are great at all levels. Casters are great at all levels. They both serve different functions.
Keep in mind that, more often than not, foresight in particular is cast on one of the party's martials, because they're the ones in the muck.
>>
>>48894615
turns out you're just a faggot

try not sucking so many cocks

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_SpellLists_1.0.pdf
>>
>>48894615
also I just noticed that the spell viewer exe got updated for the newer sources, though I'm looking for a printable PDF to show to my DM (since he's only aware of the PHB and some EE spells). I'm interested in having fucking Booming blade.
>>
>>48894552

how do you know

tell me your secrets, anon
>>
>>48894650
>http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_SpellLists_1.0.pdf
That shit doesn't have all spells anon
>>
Total noob here. Would like opinions on this character I'm brewing. Would this work with the lore, or is it utterly ridiculous? Is this cool or stupid?

Character is an elf who was raised by dwarves in a dwarven city. Her adoptive dwarven mother was an adventurer in her younger days, and formed a close friendship with my character's biological father, an elven ranger. Many years after they parted, Adoptive Dwarf Mom received a letter from Elf Dad with instructions "If anything happens to me, please take care of my daughter." And of course, something happens to him, and so here we are.

My character was only a baby when her parents died. Dwarves are the only family and only culture she's ever truly known. She doesn't even know how to speak or read Elvish. She knows how to say "where is the pastry shop" in Elvish, but with her terrible pronunciation it sounds like "my duck is made of clouds". She's quite fluent in Dwarvish and may slip up and call another dwarf "brother" or "sister", which while accepted in her home city, would surely be regarded with confusion and even offense by those who do not know her.

Needless to say, she's the least elvish elf anyone has ever seen. She's a bit of an odd duck. Cheerful. Works in a blacksmith shop and enjoys foraging new inventions in her spare time, to the chagrin of her boss. These inventions may or may not be wise ideas. Has a giant wrench with "improvements" aka spikes on one side, it effectively works as a mace. Has many ideas for enhancing the party's weapons. This may not end well.

Adventuring will be driven by a new desire to learn more about her biological parents and about elvish culture. Will try to acquire a "Speak Elvish 101" book.
>>
File: irrefutable proof.png (44KB, 607x465px) Image search: [Google]
irrefutable proof.png
44KB, 607x465px
>>48894562
>>48894660
>>
>>48894680
Really it depends on if your DM is cool with it. There's not really a single "lore" for d&d. I find it utterly ridiculous, but I also hate fun and spend my time calculating how many goats could comfortably live on five acres in a fantasy setting
>>
File: barbarians.png (330KB, 440x624px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians.png
330KB, 440x624px
>>48894619
Why on earth would you level barbarian past level 5 when you could, instead, be getting better features?
You get a few nice little features to deal a bit more damage or set your HP back to 1 a few times, but that's a poor excuse when you could be using uncanny dodge, completely negating dex saves, getting more skills and the like while still getting damage increases every other level.

Beyond level 5, the only real damage increases barbarian gets is +1 then +2 to their rage damage, and brutal critical.
Their only real tankiness increase is relentless rage.

Are you telling me 'commune with nature', 'set a strength check to your strength score if it is less than that strength score', 'advantage on initiative', 'carry double what you can before' and that sort of thing are going to improve your damage and tankiness?

Barbarian is very front-loaded in benefits, as long as you aren't a caster.
>>
>>48894750
>better features than +4 Str +4 Con and not having your rage fall off when you have a single round of not attacking or being attacked, as well as auto-proning enemies with no save or else making all attacks against anyone other than you against an adjacent enemy have disadvantage, a d12 every fucking level, and more rages (and eventually infinite rages) with more free damage on every hit
Nope, not really.
>>
>>48894713
Heh. I appreciate the honesty. So there's nothing that screams "no way would elves let a dwarf raise an elf" or the dwarves saying "wtf no the kid needs to be with her own kind"? I figured the letter from the father could be used to explain why this was allowed.
>>
File: rogues.png (311KB, 426x413px) Image search: [Google]
rogues.png
311KB, 426x413px
>>48894787
>talking about level 20 features
>as if you'd ever get that far
>'but level 14 wolf's ability is good!'

Aside from rogue obviously dealing more damage from +1d6 every other level, along with barbarian only getting two +1 rage damage increases and a couple of brutal criticals...

The other abilities pale in comparison, too.
Yes, wolf gets a decent ability at level 14. That's probably the only decent ability other than 'you rage more!' and 'relentless rage' until you reach level 20.

Instead of getting abilities like 'commune with nature' you could be getting abilities like 'uncanny dodge' or 'evasion'

Seriously, just take a look at barbarian's level 6, 7, 9, 10... 11 can be bad if you're unlucky, 13, 15, 17 and 18.
They're just not worth it in comparison to the rogue levels you could be getting, even if you are averaging 2 less HP each time and the roguebarbarian might have to conserve their 'rage only in three encounters a day'.
>>
>>48894949
>Aside from rogue obviously dealing more damage from +1d6 every other level
Nope.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668
>>
>>48894949
>talking about level 20 features
All of my games I've ever been in that weren't one-shots went to 20, and I generally only join games that aim for the very end. So it would make sense that I'd talk about it~
>>
>>48894969
I had a look. Compared non-berserker barbarian to rogue.
The damages are roughly the same.
However, the barbarian's damage boost mostly comes from that extra attack.
Guess what a barbarian5/rogueX has?
You guessed it, extra attack.

The rogue has better post-level-5 damage progression than the barbarian.
So, take that sudden power spike and apply an actually decent damage progression and you have what I'm getting at.

There's also a big increase in damage if you use reckless attack.
Guess another thing going barbarian 5 gives you? Reckless attack, which you can deploy at any time to give you automatic sneak attacks.

>>48894997
Even so, you won't be level 20 for long, if you do make it that far.

Unless you do extended adventures.

Still, I will say it's worth considering it exists, I suppose. Not worth much weight normally.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 330x328px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 330x328px
Find familiar.
True polymorph.
>>
>>48895052
The barbarian actually does more.
The barbarian purest is more tanky and will end up dealing more damage than any rogue dip by sticking to it. Sheer brutal statistical fact.
>>
>>48895067
>If you turn a creature into another kind of creature, the new form can be any kind you choose whose ehalIenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or its leveI. if the target doesn't have a chalIenge rating).
>>
Monk weapons are simple weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property. Does two-handed strictly include weapons with versatile, or is it specifically two-handed because they /need/ two hands to be wielded properly at all?
>>
File: rogueishness.png (28KB, 1366x155px) Image search: [Google]
rogueishness.png
28KB, 1366x155px
>>48895073
That's not how I'm seeing it.

Assuming you're not a berserker, first. I suppose you could do, but wolf statistics are hard because that's teammate dependent and berserker is pretty much slowly killing yourself.

Barbarian5/rogueX has the same damage as the totem barbarian until level 5, here.
That's where the big power spike is.

Now, beyond level 5, you gain the damage increase rate the rogue is getting.
That rate at the very least matches the barbarian with two-weapon-fighting, I think.
>>
>>48895099
AND. SHORTSWORDS.

>>48895124
>that crop
>>
>>48894382
Well, PotA has a section in the back that discusses how to fit it into Eberron instead of FR. It's...more than nothing.
>>
>>48895141
Oh, let me point it out if it isn't obvious:
The two-weapon-fighting barbarian's damage goes from, at level 5, 17 damage...
To 21 damage by level 13.
The rogue's damage, from level 1 to level 8 due to sneak attack, is 6 damage... To 15.7 damage.

Beyond level 5, the barbarian is barely gaining damage at all. You're getting a very occasional +1 damage from rage or a situational damage increase from brutal critical.
The rogue constantly gains damage.
If you jump off the barbarian ship at level 5 and go rogue, you're still getting damage.
Does that make sense?
>>
File: 1463448476714.jpg (21KB, 236x405px) Image search: [Google]
1463448476714.jpg
21KB, 236x405px
Has anyone got a wild magic table that could work as an extension of the one in the PHB? I've got a copy of that massive d10000 one, but those tend to be things that don't matter at all, things that matter enough to muck up a session, or things that would literally end the campaign.
>>
>>48895157
The rogue constantly gains not very much damage, which is why it is behind barbarian at literally every level ;)
>>
File: ss+(2015-05-17+at+08.36.34).jpg (25KB, 319x282px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-05-17+at+08.36.34).jpg
25KB, 319x282px
>>48895099
The book says nothing about versatile weapons being off limits, so no, also quarterstaff is a common sight on martial arts media.
And this reminded me, I'm hoping to see weapons exclusive to monks that have some special featurs or better damage dies in future official material even if I can just take the spear feat and have a d10 damage weapon
>>
File: phase-spider.png (201KB, 365x341px) Image search: [Google]
phase-spider.png
201KB, 365x341px
Do phase spiders get advantage on their attack after phasing in?
>>
File: Duuuh.png (34KB, 1305x287px) Image search: [Google]
Duuuh.png
34KB, 1305x287px
>>48895185
You, sir, make quite fine bait, and I am actually kind of happy to get to see that document.

But I will bite with one last attempt.

I have put the damage increases of every level of the most damaging barbarian - the greatsword berzerker, frenzying and all that.

There are barely any damage increases beyond level 5.
>>
>>48895250
I would give them advantage if they phased in right next to the target and immediately attacked unless the thing they're attacking could see into the ethereal plane or else had the alert feat.
>>
>>48895279
The biggest jump is at 5, like every other class in the game. *CALL THE MOTHAFUCKIN' PRESSES!*
Barbarians deal - at every level - more damage than a rogue. Statistical fact.
>>
>>48895297
Barbarian-Rogue =/= Rogue
>>
>>48895287
That was pretty much my idea as well, I was just wondering why the MM didn't explicitly mention this.
>>
>>48895308
You're right! Barbarian-rogue < rogue! Barbarian-rogue *also* < barbarian! It's almost like the game was intended to support mono-classing...
Uncanny.
>>
>>48895326
You keep making these statements with nothing to back it up except that document which has pretty much proven you wrong.

>get to level 5 barbarian
>have indentical damage to barbarian
>start going up rogue
>start adding sneak attack damage on top of barbarian damage
>get more damage than barbarian because barbarian no longer gains any real damage after level 5
>>
>>48894615
Anyone? Help pls
>>
>>48895341
>that document
>proving me wrong
lmao
I'm not gonna waste my effort belting out the damage calculations of the hybrid to satiate your autism. I've run rogue/barb before, and purist 20's end up better off, especially given strength rogues suck massive cock.
Bliggity black dick money muggafugga whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
>>
File: 1440621018494.jpg (143KB, 552x449px) Image search: [Google]
1440621018494.jpg
143KB, 552x449px
>>48895372
This is your captain speaking.
Reasoning and logic has failed, and instead we are turning S.S. Troll Express to 'crash violently and explode' mode, please buckle your seatbelts.
>>
>>48895387
>reason and logic
>factually wrong belief with no math whatsoever to substantiate the claim that barb/rogue ends up better than purist barb or purist rogue
kek
>>
>>48895341
>>48895372
The question is what weapon we're calculating with. If the chart is correct, a Barb/Rogue who wields a 1h weapon and shield could outdamage a pure Barb with a 1h and shield (at the cost and benefit of some other nifty abilities, mind) but how does it hold up against a Barb with a two handed weapon and appropriate feats?
>>
>Pick Human (variant).
>Choose Polearm Master as your bonus feat. >Choose Shilellagh as your Druid cantrip from your 1st level domain feature.
>Use a quartestaff as weapon.
>Put your highest ability score on Wisdom. >Enjoy double attacks with 1d8+4 damage at level 1 (plus high AC with heavy armor from nature domain + shield, and possibly high HP too, since you don't need Str neither Dex, so you can put your second highest score on Con.

>Plus high AC with heavy armor from nature domain + shield

>Two-handing a Quarterstaff and getting the bonuses from a shield.

What the fucking hell is this shit and why would they lie?
>>
>>48895421
No, it doesn't.
Barb wins.
Catch me in some other thread not in the middle of the night and I'll quite literally belt out the math for you.
>>
>>48895421
Ideally we want to compare a totembarb/rogue with two shortswords (three attacks) to a totembarbarian with two shortswords (three attacks). The totem barbarian does the most damage when using two weapon fighting, so this should be a fair comparison.

If you go frenzying berzerker, a large 2d6 weapon is the best. However, berzerker means the obvious - frenzying. And not being a bear or wolf barbarian.
>>
>>48895372
>Bliggity black dick money muggafugga whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I wanna see a barbcuck who screeches like this for his whole rage like an angry ball of tourettism.
>>
>>48895482
Oh that would be too good. I might make Toh-kahn the big black barbarian who speaks in ebonics and do that.
>>
"Shared Spellcasting. While all three members of a hag
coven are within 30 feet of one another, they can each cast
the following spells from the wizard's spell list but must
share the spell slots among themselves:"
Does that mean that they have x spell slots as a group and not individually?
>>
>>48895444
Shillelagh changes your quarterstaff/club to a d8.

What they could be wrong about is the "two attacks at d8+4" since the second attack would always be a d4 (since it's based on the feat, not the weapon's damage die). They also seem to assume starting 18 Wisdom, which is fine with rolling stats but most theorycrafting goes by point buy instead.

So you'd end up with two attacks at 1d8+3 and 1d4+3, eating up your bonus action every turn. It's not shabby for 1st level (especially as a full caster), but you could instead do barbarian with GWM and start doing 1d12+13+2 reliably by 2nd level thanks to Relentless Attack.
>>
>>48895471
>>48895421
Now, the totem barbarian at level 5 apparently has a damage value of '17.1'.

Once we start advancing on from level 5, that's where the split happens.

This is very simple mathematics, however.

A level 12 totem barbarian with two-weapon fighting reaches a value of '21.2'

A barb5/rogue7 however, starts stacking their rogue sneak attack bonuses onto that 17.1

A rogue 7 has a sneak attack die of 4d6.
This is on average 14 damage a round.

So, the totembarb5/rogue7 should have a damage value of '31.1', I believe.

Please, for the love of my sanity, tell me this is correct.

For comparison, the frenzying raging maul barbarian without reckless attack (Because, let's be fair, the rogue has that too) reaches a value of 28.5.
>>
>>48895502
>instead of raging he has nigga moments
>>
>>48895559
yasss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhgwy9y5ttA
>>
>>48895512

What stinks wasn't the secondary attack.

It was the

>Heavy Armor + Shield

thing.
>>
>>48895444
You want either 15 strength to wear plate/splint armour or 14 dex to wear half-plate armour.

Other than that, you're golden.
However, you shouldn't get versatile on the quarterstaff as the shield occupies a hand.

Still, that's a good combination.
>attack any enemy that comes near as reaction
>attack twice with attack action
>all based off of wisdom
>>
>>48895583
Shillelagh makes the quarterstaff's damage die d8 regardless of if it's two-handed or not. And Polearm Master, as silly as it might seem, doesn't have a requirement that you wield the weapon in both hands to take the bonus action attack.
>>
>Decide to use mechanic (Shove, Help, Grapple, whatever)
>Say I'm using mechanic
>Describe how I'm using mechanic
>DM says because of description you're not using mechanic (or you fail, or the difficulty is increased)

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
>>
>>48895596

This clarifies things quite clearly.

This makes sense if I'm ever forced to play a cleric. I don't see the point beyond healing in light domain..
>>
>>48895607
No, because I'm a good DM and don't suffer playing under bad DMs.
>>
>>48893611
Goblins, a cat people race and fire giant .
>>
>>48895090
>Turn Imp Familiar into Brass Dragon Wyrmling, then play the waiting game
>Then die of old age during the waiting game
>>
>>48893611
>WHAT RACES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED FOR VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS?
Firbolg, aasimar, catfolk, goblins, and orcs.
>>
>>48895636
Lol. Yes, that's actually possible. Forgot imp was CR 1
>>
>tfw all you want is an awesome d&d game like critical role but the only people you can find to play d&d with are neckbeards and r9k girls
>>
File: 9WVLddR.jpg (24KB, 756x419px) Image search: [Google]
9WVLddR.jpg
24KB, 756x419px
>>48895712
Me too
>>
File: 1462405682331.png (384KB, 417x538px) Image search: [Google]
1462405682331.png
384KB, 417x538px
I know it depends on a lot of factors, but how well would a level 4 party consisting of
>druid
>warlock
>bard
>fighter
>ranged fighter
fare agaisnt a coven of green hags?
>>
Anons, I have to ask you; if a DM wanted to homebrew new Wizard traditions based on the Winds of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy, do you think that they'd work?

>>48893611
Complete list, to the best of my knowledge, is pureblood Orcs, Goblins, Firbolgs, Tritons, Aasimar and "some kind of Catfolk", which could mean anything from 3.5's generic Catfolk to FR's Tabaxi (jaguar/leopard-folk from Maztic) or Wemics (lion-folk lion-taurs).
>>
For the moment, throw out the notion/idea/design philosophy of the classes needing to fulfill a specific role in the party.

What other classes do you want to see come over from a prior edition of D&D. And, probably against my better judgement, I'll also include the Pathfinder classes as well.

Assume that they will be balanced as best they can but still have the core identity of the class. So, as an example, the Warlord from 4e being ported over to 5e would be a martial class that has things similar to the Superiority Die mechanic a Battlemaster Fighter has but with more options, along with some form of light/secondary healing mainly to be used in battle.
>>
>>48896092
I wish they'd try again on something like the playtest sorcerer.
>>
>>48895856
>wemics
>i read this as weremimic
WELL IM FUCKING DISAPPOINTED TO THE MAXIMUM

>>48896092
i liked the idea of dragon shaman, in the sense than it was fluff basically a cleric that didn't worship a god, it worshiped dragons. that being said, with how 5e works, it would just end up being a fighter, or most likely paladin, and be as boring as they were in 3.x anyway.
i dont know, i just like the IDEA of a buff class that doesn't consume its resource, but i get that they're mechanically boring or unimpressive to keep it balanced then
>>
Order of the Knife for the Mystics class do you think it will be the soul knife?
>>
>>48896113
Trying to find that in my folders but can't seem to locate it. Was it the one that focused more on spell points/MP than spell slots?
>>
>>48896124
I could see a Dragon Shaman being something unique, where you choose a dragon lineage at level 1 and pick up spells that fit the flavor of the dragon you choose, and as you level you start to get stuff like bonus to AC by growing colored scales of that dragon, get a breath weapon, dragon resistance vs. that dragon's element, and eventually get wings, with a capstone of turning into an actual dragon like a Wild Shape (probably an Adult version of that dragon). Maybe it's spell scaling isn't as high (like to 6th level spells) but it still gets access to a mix of Druid and Cleric spells.
>>
>>48894248
A single creature with a CR well past the deadly gate can still get fucking rolled by a 5-man party with 2 brains between them, especially if his AC or even just his damage isn't exceptionally above what the party is used to. A hoard of tiny creatures with ability drain or even just piddle-fuck 1d6+1 glitter-magic damage will be devastating at the same assumed difficulty ( Yeah, I'm keeping the # of enemies/player multipliers in mind, it still doesn't compensate accurately).

Totally not salty that my swarm- summoning mid- game deadly enemy was more dangerous than my solo end-game deadly enemy who was a cakewalk and didn't get to use Regenerate 20 fucking once. Fuck. Someone fight me.
>>
>>48896290
It's almost lie that common saying, "there's strength in numbers"
>>
>>48895636
Are there any spells or effects that age a target, or alter time for them at least?
>>
>>48896459
The sphinx's lair has time aging or de-aging effects. So, if you can somehow talk/bribe a Sphinx into aging your familiar from a Wyrmling into an Ancient Dragon, it could in theory work.

Though by that point I think the dragon familiar would look to free themselves from the magical bindings of a familiar spell.
>>
>>48896420
Yup. 3 legendary actions don't even begin to compensate when you're a CR 13-ish vamp that does literally 1d8+~3 damage, potentially twice a turn. Have a vengeance paladin that did his job super-well, and not only had every attack miss but also stayed so thoroughly on the vamp's ass that I ultimately just had to slug- fest with him.
>>
>>48896520
"Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands."
>Tell it not to try to free itself from being your familiar
>Tell it not to try to circumvent this in any way
>Give it a list of other things it must obey as well, such as never harming you or acting in a way that would conflict with what you desire, and opposing anyone who would seek to end the binding upon it
>It has zero possible way out of it unless someone else frees it entirely of their own volition, without any coercion from the familiar, and in fact active opposition from it
>>
>>48896567
>install aasimov's laws onto your familiar
Nice.
>>
>>48896520
I'm sure there's some kind of monster effect that ages you since I've heard it mentioned that it fucks up aarakockra because they only live until like 30.
I think it was a ghost or some kind of undead.
>>
>>48895052
Having read the whole chain, I no longer have cold feet about my half-orc barbarian switching course to rogue levels, since it's become way more fitting. Thanks, anon.
>>
>Open 5ed book for first time
>Decide to make character to learn system
>Go for warlock

Huh, seems like a shitty caster? None of the class abilities seem to make up for their lack of spells.

>Few months later
>Looks through spells
>Sees Eldritch Blast

W H A T T H E F U C K W O T C ?

Who the fuck thought that it was a good idea to hide their main ability?
New players would easily pick two random cantrips and wonder why their character sucks!
>>
>>48896712
I mean, I did a search through the PHB and MM for aging effects, and the only things I found related to putting someone in stasis (Sequester), aging yourself (Wild Magic Sorcerer table), time limits for resurrection spells, and the Sphinx's lair effects.

But I do know that aging and de-aging spells were in 3.5, so I could see it being that they could come over relatively easily. I think they were 7th or 8th level spells though, so it wouldn't be easily obtainable.
>>
>>48896828
hex is also a staple for warlocks.
>>
>>48896828
You didn't read all the invocations referring to the modification of Eldritch Blast? Like half of the invocations let you do more shit with the cantrip.
>>
>>48893205
>>48893227
I didn't even realize this. How does this work exactly? You just command the familiar next to the enemy and have it use the Help action? And then the first attack on the target has advantage?
>>
Anyone, what is your idea for the balance around this invocation?

>Empowered Blast
Prerequisite: Warlock 12
Effect: Increase the damage die of Eldritch Blast by one (from d10 to d12). This invocation can only be taken once.
>>
>>48896976
Not too bad.
Here's another potential invocation for you, in that same vein:

>Rending Blast
>Prerequisite: Warlock 14
>When you roll a 1 or a 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with Eldritch Blast, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.

I wasn't sure about the prerequisite. I originally had it at warlock 17, but that seems kind of steep to me.
>>
>>48896976
not much different mechanically than a +1ish per die
overall, not op, but realize lock can take yet another EB focus invocation if you add it, upping their damage, but most likely ignoring their other ones even more
>>
So I managed to convince my DM to give me a 2H finesse weapon. I plan on making a fighter/rogue. My question is if Great Weapon Fighting will work for sneak attack in this scenario.
>>
Swahbuckler/pact of Blade warlock good?
>>
>>48897397
It would. Great Weapon Fighting demands the weapon be a two-handed and sneak attack demands it be a finesse weapon. your weapon has both. They do not exclude one another.
>>
>>48897397
I think it needs the "heavy", not just "two-handed" quality for the -5 attack, +10 damage thing, but the extra attack on a kill would still be fine. Technically I think the potential extra attack actually applies to all melee attacks even one handed ones, though I doubt that would come up much since it's not really worth a feat alone
>>
>>48897442
no
go chainlock/assassin.
damage AND utility
>>
>>48897489
>I think it needs the "heavy", not just "two-handed"
Not according to the PHB.
"The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit."

Also I think you're confusing Great Weapon FIGTHING and Great Weapon MASTER
>>
>>48897442
>>48897492
Chainlock and Tomelock are like Rocky and Creed. Bladelock is like Paulie.
>>
>>48892013
>24
My maths must be wonky because don't get 24 Eldritch blasts

4 Eldritch blasts + 4 more from quickened
Action surge doubles that, total 16, what am I missing? and be gentle I just woke up
>>
>>48892481
>17th level character
>Powergaming
No, that's called epic levels for a reason
>>
>>48897838
It's assuming three crits, so (4+4+4 [Action surge doesn't let get another bonus action])*2 EBs for (12*2)d10 + (12*2)d6 + 12*5.

Probably missing a line about Rogue 3/Assassin for the guaranteed crits.
>>
My party killed evil wizard and looted his book. Bard choose it as part of his tresure - can he somehow use the book, or is it only worh selling for few hundred bucks?
>>
>>48892481
No, you want wish power gaming, you need to use Simulacrum/Wish combo.literally infinite casts of wish with none of the repercussions because your dupes (that make more dupes) do all the casting.
>>
>>48897700

Noob here, and I feel like I'm missing something. Is Bladelock actually bad, or is it just not as useful or powerful as Tome and Chain?

Speaking as someone who's wanting to take a polearm master variant human warlock down the Pact of the Blade route.
>>
>All this talk about powergaming
Having a blast with a paladin/draconic sorcerer/undying light warlock and spamming twinned GFB
>>
>>48897956
>Is Bladelock actually bad
It's defining features, what makes bladelock bladelock, are literally useless, you are a better "bladelock" if you go Tome with Shillelagh.
>>
>>48897979

I dunno, I thought being able to use a glaive as a pact weapon and sneak a polearm around would be nifty. As well as the invocations for extra attacks and damage.
>>
>>48897999
Cool? maybe, more useful than Shillelagh and GFB or BB? not really, you'll deal 1 more damage per hit till you get necrotic extra damage at 12th level, but you'll have to rise Str.

Meanwhile Tomelock focuses on Cha and he's as good or even better than you because he isn't MAD.
>>
>>48897893
if there someone who can learn from books and scrolls in the party, they might be able to read it, but otherwise unless there is something "rare" in it, its just money, and arguably not even that much
>>
>>48897999
If you want to multi into rogue, chain is your best option. Your familiar can grant you:
Advantage
An ally adjacent to the enemy
An invisible flying scout
Free poison to extract daily
Lifelong companionship

What's more is that you can summon and dismiss your familiar pretty fuckin fast. Indefinite free storage. Doesn't even need fed I believe.

Assassin because it's the best one if you're getting free Advantage from help which means you always get sneak attacks. Swashbuckler has that cha stuff but its going to compete for your action, and i doubt you want to tank anything anyways. The init mod is good but honestly just up your dex for that and MAYBE get alert.
>>
>>48897956
"Better than nothing" I feel is charitable to Bladelock.

Eldritch Blast deals 4d10 + 4d6 + 20 (avg 56), with an expenditure of 2 ASI and an invocation.
Polearm Bladelock deals 2d10 + 3d6 + d4 + 30 (avg 54), with an expenditure of 4 ASI, a feat and two invocations. That number gets higher if you throw in GWM, but that's another feat. Bladelock does a little less damage for a lot more resource, taking away resources that could make a character more versatile.
>>
>>48897956
>>48897979
>>48897999
>>48898024
is it bad? no, its not
but to be near, or comparable to the damage just spamming EB can do, combined with the safety of distance and/or the need of extra things to make your lock safe and viable in melee, its just not as easy, nor as "good" at lower levels/feats, and at higher, it sacrifices versatility to make itself viable
>>
>>48898036
Note free poison is DM dependent.
>>
>>48898072
Monster manual overrides phb for monsters.
That's officially stated.
>>
>>48898096
The monster manual doesn't say anything about poison extraction, does it?
>>
>>48898110
Anyone can harvest poison from a willing, living creature. Or an unwilling one. People do it all the time. Snakes and spiders, for example.
>>
>>48898096
just like the familiars magic resistance
right!?
RIGHT?!
>>
>>48898043
In the context of 5e, knowing the distance between good and bad isn't abysmal like before, yeah, it's bad.
>>
>>48894787

lets not forget a fly speed either, that's a HUGE deal.
>>
>>48895341

The problem with this argument is that it locks you out of using anything better than a rapier so you can't benefit from GWM anymore. With Pole Arm Master and Great Weapon Master I am sure that a Barbarian will outclass a Rogue easily.
>>
>>48898126
Please tell me more about IRL imp poison harvesting. I have never seen one so I didn't know there were experts in the field.
Imp poison may become inert after being exposed to the air for a minute or so, for instance, making harvesting useless. You might be able to stabilize it and follow crafting rules for it though. If imp poison is worth 500gp for instance, it would take 100 days and 250 to create. Sure you are getting the main ingredient for free, so you might be able to reduce the cost, but you still need to put in the time and other ingredients.

500gp is just a ballpark number, but keep in mind it should not be less than the poison in the phb because that wouldn't make any sense. So bare minimum 20 days worth of time per vial.
>>
>>48898406
I can't believe you decided to go full retard
You NEVER go full retard, brother
>>
>>48897397

If you're wondering if you can reroll your sneak attack damage with Great Weapon Fighter; no, no you cannot.

Just like you can't roll Divine Smite with GWF. It only applies to the weapon's specific damage dice.
>>
>>48898406
How would you feel about a Beastmaster Ranger harvesting poison from their Giant Poisonous Snake? Harvesting snake poison happens irl.
>>
>>48898406
Who hurt you, anon?
Why can't you just have fun?
>>
I wanna play as a mad scientist. What's the best way to go?

Knowledge domain cleric, or Thief Rogue for the proficiencies?
>>
>>48898454
I wouldn't say they just have the poison in a ready to use form. I would still assign a gold piece value to it (unless you are saying that this poison somehow holds no value) and follow crafting rules, giving them a sizable discount to the gold cost since they have a source of the main ingredient available. Time restrictions stay the same however.

And if you want to get into some IRL shit snakes do not have an inexhaustible supply of venom irl, they can only make so much a day. Getting enough to cover the whole length of a great sword for instance would be quite an ordeal.

That's if you want to start dragging irl stuff into a game though, I think it's much easier to use the systems already in place for crafting though
>>
>>48898483
>>48898440
Literally trying to figure out what's wrong with what I said, since you don't get a whole flask of poison from irl poison harvesting, and I am just following the rules of the game with some ad hoc discounts for the player.

Are you just mad power gamers or is there a legit reason for you to be fanny flustered?
>>
>>48898533
Are you aware of the poison harvesting rules in the DMG?
>>
>>48898582
The ones that tell you to follow the crafting rules in the phb? Yes, the way I just described things being done? Yes?

I don't understand why you made this post
>>
>>48898623
No, the ones that say you can spend 1d6 minutes with an incapacitated or dead creature, then perform a DC 20 Nature check to extract a single dose of venom.
>>
>>48894849
Those are the problems i would have with it. An easy solution would be to have the parents die while adventuring near a dwarven city. Maybe the pregnancy was unplanned and they took up temporary shelter there. That way, the dwarves had no choice but to nurture the elven baby or let her die.

Otherwise, try to work these problems into the backstory, don't just ignore it. I really love the idea though, i always encourage playing against type.
>>
>>48891559
Looks fine to me, nothing overpowered and there are power spikes at not every level.
>>
>>48898636
Sure enough, looks like I am wrong and there is no reason to even bother with an imp either really. If you kill a giant scorpion or something you can actually get infinite doses post mortem. RAW nothing ever runs out of poison and you can harvest when its dead. You do have to worry about hurting yourself when handling your imps stinger ( or any other thing you harvest) but thats largely unimportant if yu don't do it in the middle of a dungeon
>>
>>48893103
The big think was Curse of Strahd it has good reviews and the campaign I am playing it in is having fun. The new monster manual is coming out in November, the new campaign is coming out next month.

Nothing too beefy for character selection but if I am going to be playing 5e for ten years or so I have no problem with them taking their time rather than throwing out all the good stuff in the first few years and let it get shitty from there.
>>
>>48894232
I hope not, nobody would play them just like Genasi, being 10 feet tall requires near constant roleplay to do anything normally, Genasi have to be asked every 42 seconds what the fuck are they in most settings in my opinion.
>>
What would be some good new Invocations for the Warlock pacts, star chain included?
I want to make a nifty little list for all of them.
I have two so far, but they don't have level prerequisites yet.

>Blade of Might
>Pact of the Blade
>When you cast a warlock spell or cantrip, you can make a weapon attack with you pact weapon as a bonus action.
This not only allows Bladelock to fit in with the two other PHB spellblade options, but puts them above a Tomelock with Shillelagh for damage with weapons and viability.
Granted, the weakness is you can't immediately shift hex over to the new target if you kill a fucker, but still.

>Visions of the star chain
>Star Chain Pact
>When you complete a short rest, you may roll a d10. Whenever an ally or yourself rolls a d20 you can add the d10 result to the d20 roll. You must complete a short rest to use this feature again.
>>
>>48894502
I'd hate to make you cry but sneak attack RAW says you can only trigger it with ranged or finesse weapons. So no sneaky greatswords, unless you have a kind DM.
>>
>>48898867
New thread
>>
>>48898861
If you want a Pact of the Blade Invocation I got one.

Choose a maneuver from the Battlemaster's Maneuver List, you also gain a d6 as a superiority dice. You may take this invocation multiple times.
>>
>>48898026
Hmm, that sucks. Oh, well. Thanks.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.