[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SoS/ Song of Swords General: We miss John Galt edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 38

File: Galt summoning ritual.jpg (202KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Galt summoning ritual.jpg
202KB, 1000x667px
Last Time on Song of Swords:
Can Ohanedin even use swords?
More new guns for Ballad, including the FAMAS!
Giant warships, full of whores!
Jimmy dick: now on Shapeways!
Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a MEGA folder with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
http://paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
http://paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

This PDF is the Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version, bookmarked.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2cin9ly01z2bp4c/CoTV1.4.pdf

Ballad weapons and calibers converted to their real world counterparts: https://paste2.org/Hp7eDsa7

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.
>>
>They can make machines that have nervous systems analogous to those of humans, but they cannot make artificial brains.
>human nervous system without brain
I think Jimmy has a major anatomical misconception.
>>
>>48888670
I think he means a brain with any part that pertains to motor control and sensation.
>>
File: 1471396570056.jpg (90KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471396570056.jpg
90KB, 480x720px
>No Man's Sky sucks
>All I have left is SoS
>>
>>48889567
okay seriously what's the story with your pic?
I tried to google search it and am comming up short.

I GOTTA KNOW MAN!!!
>>
>>48889637
They came back with a warrant.
What I want to know is why they needed ten guys in full gear to serve a warrant.
>>
>>48889912
>They came back with a warrant.
Well I can see that!
>They came back with a warrant.
but what did she do?!
>>
>>48889912

I'm guessing that the kind of household that posts "come back with a warrant" pictures online also posts about how many guns they have, and how the government is evil and people should bravely resist it. So the cops took precautions.
>>
>>48889912
It looks like a rural area, it's not like SWAT has anything better to do in Nebraska.
>>
Is John Galt dead?
>>
>>48891376
No, just drunk.
>>
>>48891376
No, he is just squatting on your bed and smoking
>>
Jimmy, mind elaborating on what changes you're making to fatigue? You're making changes to fatigue, right? Because something like fatigue is the only way to get cinematic battles in SoS without making really fucking stupid, nonsensical and unrealistic patchwork rules
>>
>>48892561
What does 'cinematic' mean in this context, and why would it be desirable?
>>
File: 1416116679235.png (72KB, 1094x796px) Image search: [Google]
1416116679235.png
72KB, 1094x796px
>>48892561
>Because something like fatigue is the only way to get cinematic battles in SoS
>>
>>48892802
Back-and-forth combat with gradual accumulation of damage and an emergent storyline within that fight itself. Wuxia-style.

Actual wounds are way too debilitating. Real combat was very, very fast and very, very decisive, which is very, very boring.
>>
>>48892931
>>48892802
Note, I don't think it's a bad thing that wounds lead to a near-insurmountable death spiral, in fact I like it, but I also like to have some less realistic shit going on sometimes, and fatigue helps combat from being a back-and-forth nothing-happens slugfest until someone one-shots the other
>>
Ohanedin with noble school can get TN 4 parties with a Maine gauche, half pike, or truncheon. Sick nasty.
>>
>>48892931
Go find another game then. SoS isn't for you.
>>
>>48893117
Or Implement luck rules from Ballad
>>
>>48893117
Armored combat is less decisive, there can be an ebb and flow to it.
>>
>>48891376
Not as long as we believe.
>>
>>48893236
That would be nice, as an optional rule. Not sure how to implement it in the PCP system though. Character creation would be thrown off.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs-pTGqQPc4&index=212&list=LLqjg1dSRqBPsudvzg6WvxpQ

Lest we forget
>>
>>48892960
The Ohanedin are the fucking master race of this setting. A naked unarmed ODin can reliably bust up a fully armored and armed human of equal ability more than half of the time.

I'm genuinely curious as to why they aren't the ruling class of every society.
>>
>>48888670
I think starfish don't have a brain, right?

Ah, yes remembered that correctly:
>While a starfish lacks a centralized brain, it has a complex nervous system with a nerve ring around the mouth and a radial nerve running along the ambulacral region of each arm parallel to the radial canal. The peripheral nerve system consists of two nerve nets: a sensory system in the epidermis and a motor system in the lining of the coelomic cavity. Neurons passing through the dermis connect the two.[28] The ring nerves and radial nerves have sensory and motor components and coordinate the starfish's balance and directional systems.[5] The sensory component receives input from the sensory organs while the motor nerves control the tube feet and musculature. The starfish does not have the capacity to plan its actions. If one arm detects an attractive odour, it becomes dominant and temporarily over-rides the other arms to initiate movement towards the prey. The mechanism for this is not fully understood.[28]

>>48889567
I actually suspected that No Man's Sky might suck big time shortly after I joined the hype train for a short while. I mean, they never really hinted at any depth in the game, all they always talked about was how xboxhueg the universe is. And I guess that turned out to actually represent the game. A fitting description I read somewhere: "Wide like the ocean, deep like a kids pool.".
>>
>>48889936
She inconvenienced (((a fine gentleman))).
>>
>>48889969
They assaulted an old lady for having The GALL of defending her rights.
"Took precautions" a shit go live in north korea everyone will agree with you there.
>>
Why does a Weighted Chain only have TN8 when it's a fucking Chain meant for Hooking? It already has Chain 3 and Hook at VL, not like it needs help to be good, and it doesn't gel with me well that it's as easy to use as most two-handed swords apparently
>>
Been away for a while, is the game still on the australian hell?
>>
>>48898250
TN 8 is the "hard to use" TN. TN 9 is "unwieldy as fuck."

>>48896230
There are a few ways I can think of doing it.
1: Use Ballad PCP levels.
2: Allow Luck to be taken as Boons at 5 Points a pop.
3: Give everyone a baseline of 2 Luck and allow extra as Boons at either 5 or a higher cost, (maybe 10 for the first additional and 5 after?)
>>
>>48898792
it's a fucking weighted chain, how is that not unwieldy as fuck? and why is a flammenschwert as hard to use as a weighted chain
>>
>>48897119
Limited numbers. Same reason that Germany couldn't beat Russia before Christmas in WW1
>>
File: Kusari gama.jpg (27KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Kusari gama.jpg
27KB, 600x450px
>>48899410
You know it's not the sort of chain you lock up your mom's bicycle right?
It's like the chain in this picture which if you'll notice is small enough if you bundle it up it'll all fit in your enclosed fist
>>
>>48899583
How is that not unwieldy as fuck?
>>
>>48899583
yes I'm sure bundling it up in my fist is going to make it a very effective weapon
>>
>>48897119
>implying implications
Ohanedin aren't that great, what the fuck have you been smoking
They'd get creamed
>>
>>48892206

Dead drunk?
>>
>>48897119
Why would they? They just want to hang out in the hills and occasionally eat people.
>>
>>48899625
Take a length of rope, tie a rock to one end, twirl it around and try to wrap it around a pole. Now take a five foot long, six pound piece of sharpened steel and do some montante drills. Tell me which one is easier.
>>
>>48897119
I'm guessing they would have problems with large field battles as opposed to their usual ambush warfare what with the lack of metal armor and ranged weapons.
>>
>>48897119
Armor is a pretty much hard counter to them.
>>
>>48903434
Yeah but they don't NEED to fight open field battles; they can force everything into guerilla war.

>>48905171
Is it? I thought they could hit hard enough to split metal.
>>
>>48897690
>"Wide like the ocean, deep like a kids pool.".

That's basically every triple-A game, really. It's true of NMS, it's true of Fallout 4, it's true of Skyrim, it's true of Dragon Age: Inquisition, it'll be true of Final Fantasy XV, it'll be true of Battlefield 1, it'll be true of Watch_Dogs 2...
>>
>>48906356
You can't really conquer anyone using guerilla warfare.
>>
>>48906356
They can offer their soul and body up for spiritual raping to add their WIL to the amount of damage they deal, which is pretty nuts, but otherwise all they get is +1 STR for damage.
They have to declare the rape offer before they actually roll for the attack, so the opponent can just decide to put everything he has into defense, which while not exactly assuredly makes him survive, is still probably gonna be enough since Ohanedin don't get WIL boni, so they'll have at most like, 6-8 damage extra. They can't really use two-handed weapons since those usually have mediocre parry TNs and there's no armor to save them if they fail, so the damage won't be horrifying either. Still, it's a shitload of damage (assuming 9 STR, 8 WIL, Power Attacking for maybe 3-4 damage, they'd basically one-shot almost anything they manage to hit just from sheer base damage without including BS)
>>
>>48906568
>mediocre parry TNs
They fatigue void at 6
>>
>>48906471
I don't see how you couldn't. Just invade the other fellow's country and go to ground, make it impossible for him to dislodge you as you slowly cut them apart piece by piece, important asset by important asset, until they surrender.
>>
>>48906822
I don't think it works like that.
>>
File: 1703klingon-stumpf-sword.jpg (11KB, 625x197px) Image search: [Google]
1703klingon-stumpf-sword.jpg
11KB, 625x197px
Can ya'll stat this? Im quite curious as to what you all think
>>
>>48911132
War cleaner with custom hilt?
>>
>>48912018
Cleaver
>>
>>48906822
Guerrilla warfare more or less explicitly requires the support of the locals, because the war must be protracted in order for you to gradually whittle down your opposition. Obviously the locals aren't going to help a bunch of murderous cannibal elves kill their own soldiers willingly.

The key word being willingly, of course. What Ohanedin generally do when they find themselves in actual wars with their neighbors is different from Guerrilla warfare, being more akin to a chevauchee. They get on their horses (they are exceptionally good horsemen) and they ride into the country, avoiding decisive engagements wherever possible, and simply kill every living thing they find there, and burn everything else. They cannot normally take cities (though a few times they have taken castles by scaling the walls at night or similar treachery) but they can burn great swathes of farmland, depopulate villages, and generally ruin everything that isn't heavily guarded.

Wars with the Ohanedin are gruesome affairs, and if not dealt with effectively can result in famines that last for years, with even the seed-stock having to be handed out from the stores of larger cities and castles. Lagoria's last war with Kartzletan was such a disaster that it very nearly cost them their country--not to the Ohanedin, but to Nisperada, who invaded when they realized how devastated the country was.

Of course, if forced into a decisive confrontation, the Ohanedin are still plenty formidable, but they can be defeated. Lagoria eventually won its war after one such battle, and demanded enormous reparations, which were paid at great expense by the Ohanedin, and included the sum of 100,000 pounds of silver. The eldest daughter of the Prince of Kartzletan, a girl by the name of Arantxa, was sent to the King of Lagoria and swore an oath to serve his family for three generations in exchange for a lowering of the amount from 120,000 pounds. Most of the "silver" was actually paid in the form of cattle.
>>
>>48912357
Hey Jimmy, we ever going to get rules for Myrmidons, those burd mech things? Did we ever get lore on those besides what is in the book?
>>
>>48911132
Fug, I almost got to hold a replica of one of those once, but I never picked it up because the Bat'Leth was cooler.

I imagine it's similar in balance to a falcata, or some other short chopping sword, but it's impossible to say without knowing its other dimensions.

>>48912443
Yes, we're actually working on those now, you'll get something cool sool.
>>
>>48899699
well, to be fair, bundling it up in your fist and punching someone is going to hurt more than just punching them
>>
The game I'm running is set in a sort of 16th century renaissance where black powder is slowly becoming more prevalent as the party travels east. I was thinking of having an enemy with a sort of 'big iron' double-barreled dragon that represents the latest and greatest technology but I'm wondering if that's a little far fetched. Obviously the tech level is whatever I want it to be as GM, but I'm a little frustrated with my inability to pin down the earliest a blunderbus or dragon might've been used.

Also, I've asked before and no one responded: What the fuck is spike ammo?
>>
>>48911132

Kukri? Axe?
>>
>>48911132
khopesh with better hand protection.
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (270KB, 521x500px) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
270KB, 521x500px
>>48915423
Do you have even the most remote concept of what a khopesh looks like?
>>
>>48916175
Weirdly shaped lump of iron that curves stupidly.

Khopesh, klingon sword, what's the difference?
>>
>>48916416
I will find you.
>>
>>48916512
Muurame, Finland, I'm here all year.
>>
>>48916584
It's heartbreaking that world transport is so expensive so no one can settle international beef and go for drinks afterwards.
>>
>>48914114
An early form of flechette.
>>
>>48914114
Spike ammo (i.e., literally shooting steel arrows or harpoons out of handguns) has been depicted in a few medieval tapestries, and some surviving munitions still exist.

To my knowledge they've never been tested before by modern historical reenactors or archeologists, so it's hard to say if they actually work or if they were just for show, or even some sort of primitive bayonets.
>>
>>48912357
> The eldest daughter of the Prince of Kartzletan, a girl by the name of Arantxa, was sent to the King of Lagoria and swore an oath to serve his family for three generations in exchange for a lowering of the amount from 120,000 pounds.

>literally elf princess slave wat do
>>
>>48917148
I'd love to help with the visa stuff.
>Yeah, he is coming to Finland to try and beat me up
>No, not a sports match, this is just Saunan taakse thing
>>
>>48919442
Startup company idea: Beef International. Arrange to fly people who hate each other from across the world to the same location so that they can kick each others' asses on camera, then upload it to a Worldstar equivalent.
>>
>>48919430
It also sets the going rate for elf princesses at 20,000 pounds of silver.
>>
>>48919692
Note, for 3 generations.

One generation of servitude for elf princess wat do is 6,666 pounds of silver.
>>
>>48889969
That'll show that old lady who's boss
>>
>>48889912
No guarantee it's the same house, I bet a lot of people (including meth cooks) have those door mats
>>
>>48914114
Very, very early kind of ammunition that resembles an arrow.
>>
>>48897690
There are plenty of things, especially in the sea, without brains. Humans are not one of those things.
>>
>>48920919
Oh, just reread. I guess I have missed the
>analogous to those of humans
while reading before.
>>
>>48920054
It's very commonly commercially available, so it's probably completely different houses.
>>
>>48922018
My mother has one. The cops probably just thought it was funny.
>>
File: 519nR.png (587KB, 616x463px) Image search: [Google]
519nR.png
587KB, 616x463px
Is there any great verity to the sort of scenarios could throw at player in the Zulu Wars?
>>
>>48924685
>verity
Variety?
>>
>>48924685
Anything that's possible in a military style campaign.
>>
>>48889567
>he fell for NMS
As soon as I saw that hipster filter looking shit I knew it would be a rip off.
>>
>>48889969
Nah, thats pretty normal, She was probably connected with some murder/bank robbery. judging from the quality of the photo and the the gear, probably a bank robbery in the early 90s.
>>
>>48916416
>iron Khopesh
Nigga you dumb
>>
>>48928674
Out of curiosity, what about that equipment says '90s' to you?
>>
>>48899699
It sure will when they think you are mostly unarmed and you hit them in the face with the weight from VL
>>
>>48917148
I mean whats 800 dollars versus the honor of the great khopesh?
>>
>>48929844
A khopesh of your very own.
>>
>>48928729
Well, they're not in a tank.
>>
>>48919430
Jimmy has commented before that the Not!Spaniards are such fundamentally good people that even lovecraftian horrors avoid their country. She's probably safe.
>>
>>48926774
No. Similar meaning and origin to veracity.
>>
>>48932495
I mean, it's true that Spaniards tend to be good and kind people, but I don't think that's fundamental or inherent so much as cultural, and there is a lot of racism.
>>
>>48930089
....you don't already have one?
>>
File: PLUS ULTRA.jpg (34KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
PLUS ULTRA.jpg
34KB, 600x480px
>>48914114
>The game I'm running is set in a sort of 16th century renaissance where black powder is slowly becoming more prevalent as the party travels east. I was thinking of having an enemy with a sort of 'big iron' double-barreled dragon that represents the latest and greatest technology but I'm wondering if that's a little far fetched. Obviously the tech level is whatever I want it to be as GM, but I'm a little frustrated with my inability to pin down the earliest a blunderbus or dragon might've been used

Found this on PBS's history detectives (http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/technique/gun-timeline/) though the pic was a thumbnail that doesn't show anything really
>This is an early (ca. 1540) multi-shot, wheel-lock pistol, made for Emperor Charles V. In this weapon, two locks are combined in one mechanism, to give each barrel separate ignition.

So I went searching for Charlie Five's gun and with a little searching I came up with pic related and with this (http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/22387):
>One of the earliest pistols, this firearm was designed and produced by Peter Peck, a maker of watches and guns. The two locks combined in one mechanism provided the barrels with separate ignition. Made for Emperor Charles V (reigned 1519–56), the pistol is decorated with his dynastic and personal emblems: the double-headed eagle and the pillars of Hercules with the Latin motto PLUS ULTRA (More beyond).

Therefore, while not a true dragon, I believe you have historical precedent for a 16th century 'big iron'.
>>
>>48932947
I mean, their culture could be fundamentally decent.
As for the racism, in this case it'd sort of be justified if the only other race nearby were literally cannibal elves.
>>
>>48888457
SoS really sets the bar for unapologetic bastard elves. Gotta give it that.
>>
>>48934139
Or, in real life, gypsies.
>>
>>48933823
Have to say, PLUS ULTRA is really good, as far as mottoes go.
>>
>>48934327
Right up there with EX STERCORE FERRUM DURUM.
>>
>>48932907
I know what verity means, it just doesn't make sense in the context.
>>
>>48929795
the point was that being so small as to be bundled in one fist isn't going to make it less unwieldy
>>
Is it just me, or is 4 RS kinda oppressive for a target who's completely stationary and without cover within a very small range.
Say you've trained quite a bit and have an MP of 9, it seems kinda weird you'd on average be missing someone standing out in the open with absolutely no actions taken to be harder to hit with an MTN7 weapon. Or is the "shooting them from behind" or "flanking" RS bonus supposed to apply in those situations were they're not aware of you, as well as when you're physically behind? It always seemed odd to me that being behind someone somehow affected how hard the target that doesn't see anything coming is to hit
>>
>>48936877
>Or is the "shooting them from behind" or "flanking" RS bonus supposed to apply in those situations were they're not aware of you, as well as when you're physically behind
I believe so. Also you should probably aim in most situations.
>>
>>48934361
Out of shit, hard iron?
>>
>Jimmy teases us with the Happening
>literally no follow up on neither Mechs nor the editing
Jimmy you are rude
>>
>>48940402
Well, he gave us Star Vampires and Dark Pyromancy recently. Well, three or so threads ago. But still.
>>
>>48939732
It's a somewhat literal translation of a finnish saying.

Paskasta rautaa. Turning shit to iron. Making soldiers out of wimps, turning devil's field into a proper farmland, just about any situation where you have nothing, or really shitty resources, and still manage to produce useful things.
>>
>>48936479
You've clearly never had to throw chains before, their size is inversely proportional to their ease of throw.
>>
>>48936877
if they don't know you are there you should take all three aim actions. That turns your 9dice into 19 as long as you are average and at least 16 dice if you have the lowest possible perception.
>>
>>48940745
I mean that was within the week
>>
>>48936877
One shooting action is literally just lifting the gun and shooting it without aiming. If you want to be at all accurate, you take at least one Aim action.
>>
>>48941613
You can aim and shoot with one shooting action instead of shooting twice, so that's a plus.
>>
File: 1471759348082.jpg (497KB, 1024x1461px) Image search: [Google]
1471759348082.jpg
497KB, 1024x1461px
>>48934327
I'd say so
>>
So, is there anything about laser whales that doesn't work for a wild wet themed game? I know others have talked about it, but I'm a bit concerned for how it'd work without any sort of bulletproof vests and only revolvers and rifles and such.
>>
>>48946289
Probably pretty good, there's always lots of cover in Old West towns, and out in gullies and canyons, and firing at someone riding a horse or firing while riding a horse will increase your RS so it should balance.
>>
File: Copy_of_Montage.jpg (159KB, 503x690px) Image search: [Google]
Copy_of_Montage.jpg
159KB, 503x690px
does anything here feature a real gentleman's method of fighting?
>>
File: llap-goch.gif (556KB, 987x1289px) Image search: [Google]
llap-goch.gif
556KB, 987x1289px
>>48946601
You mean the Welsh one, right?
>>
>>48946601
Fighting with a truncheon, tossing your jacket to blind the enemy, grappling, and cool mustaches are all supported by SoS.
>>
>>48928674
MOLLE plate carriers, those headsets, one of them has a kydex holster. This is definitely post-2006.
>>
>>48946289
Speaking of old west and Laser Whales, what is Space-Mexico like in that setting?
>>
Who wins in a fight, Sarah Gizka or Szeth from Stormlight Archives?
>>
>>48949289
>Who wins in a fight, the guy with magic powers who has a sword that can cut through anything, or the brown woman?
>>
>>48949315
Well, she also has a sword that can cut through anything. Omraza's thing is that it can cleave through any material. The magic thing is legit, but Gizka also seems to have magic. Szeth can fly, but Gizka carries a gun. Seems like a legit question to me.
He's also probably the only super-badass I can think of in fiction who might actually be shorter than Gizka is. He's like 5'2.
>>
>>48949315
What powers? I mean can he shoot lasers or something? It's a bit tricky because we don't really know what Gizka can do besides fill people up with rats and make them into slaves.
>>
>>48949502
>we don't really know what Gizka can do
She certainly can't use magic in combat.
>>
>>48949572
Every time we've seen her in a fecht has been her in her younger years, before she assembled her cursed mercenary company. Sometime between then and the present day, she did a bunch of creepy magic shit, and now she can control people like Karachki and the rest of her band of psychopaths.
>>
>>48949580
>Every time we've seen her in a fecht
You call taking off weighted cloak magic? I don't doubt flying magical manlet will beat her.
>>
>>48949289
In a 1v1 fight with swords only and his magic abilities coupled with the power of the artifacts she has, probably the shin. He has the advantage in terms of mobility and weird magic that applies directly to combat. If we assume that Omraza can parry a Shardblade (by no means a certain thing) she might have a brief advantage in that he wouldn't expect a mundane looking sword not to be cut through, but he would still have fookin magic.

In a more practical situation, i.e., the sort of ambush he typically launches, he would have to fight dozens or hundreds of men with guns and halberds before fighting her, in an environment without stormlight. Hell, in an environment without even sorcerous energy, assuming it's in her camp.
In that case, I'd say she'd probably win, simply because of the tech advantage. Guns and grenades are a pretty strong counter to guys with swords, however magical.

In a 1v1 fight without magic, with only their weapons, who knows? We don't actually know how good of a swordsman Szeth is, he has so many powers layered on top of each other that his fights are all basically effortless. It's hard to gauge the skill of combatants in different works of fiction because the style of writing, and also the devices they use, are all literary and thus divorced from sort of hard "power level" of competence. Who would win in a fistfight, Riddick or Rocky Balboa? How do you gauge this sort of thing?

>>48949357
Depending on the particulars of how shardblades actually work, it would either cause Orichalcum to melt immediately upon contact, or otherwise parry it. While being hit by a faceful of molten magical gold would probably suck, being hit by a soul-killing magic sword is probably worse. I'd give her the disadvantage there. But by the same token, a man seeing a pistol for the first time would probably not assume that it shoots a bunch of lead balls at 400 fps, so that could win it for her, even if he had his magic.
>>
>>48941613
You should be able to hit a literal (as in literally literal) target within ten fucking meters without having to aim pretty regularly. You might not get the bullseye but missing more often than not is just odd
>>
>>48949682
>Who would win in a fistfight, Riddick or Rocky Balboa? How do you gauge this sort of thing?
I'm pretty sure the guy who can kill you with a teacup is going to be scarier than the guy famous for being really plucky and then losing (though I guess he did step it up to the commies, Riddick's fought space-Iran (weren't there Muslims in Pitch Black now that I think about it?), so he's got his share of battling the Axis of Evil too
>>
>>48949689
Combat rules assume combat conditions. In a totally sterile environment without the fear of death or enemy fire, one could assume far better results than one might encounter in a firefight. This is why a shooter attacking an unaware enemy at close range has such an enormous mechanical advantage, to the point of it being literally impossible to miss. In a sterile shooting environment, a character would not make rolls the same way as one who is looking around for enemy shooters, ducking behind cover, and cringing from enemy fire. Firefights are hideously loud and disorienting things.

Remember, most firefights in real life take place at very short ranges, and the accuracy you see there is terrible even between trained combatants. Cops in firefights with criminals have an abysmal shooting record, and that isn't just because a lot of cops are jackasses, it's because shooting in combat is totally different from shooting on the range.

If you want to say that in a range, 50% of a character's shooting pool succeed automatically, I would allow it.

>>48949722
Well you say that, but you'll notice that Riddick basically never killed anyone with his bare hands, he always had a knife or a weapon. He usually had the element of surprise. Now look at Rocky Balboa, who got hit in the face for eight rounds by a genetically engineered superhuman, and then knocked him out.
But then Riddick is a Furyan. The point is the argument can be made either way because we never saw Rocky slit a bunch of Necromonger throats, and we never saw Riddick in a fistfight. The point is that a character's fighting potential is difficult to interpret because so much of it is part of a narrative.

There are points where this becomes moot. Goku would beat The Punisher. Golden Age Superman would beat Sarah Gizka. Silver Age Superman would go back in time and rescue Gizka from ever having become a mercenary with hypnosis rays or something.
>>
>>48949768
I am aware that combat conditions are the baseline for the RS4 and I don't think that's unreasonable for someone who's actually aware that you're about to shoot him, but the rules specify that the flanking and rearward shot boni only count if you're actually physically 90 or more degrees around the dude getting shot, which just feels weird to me.

Being close to someone unaware is devastating if you're "point blank" (which you for some reason wrote down as meaning you're within 2m, you memer), but that makes little sense. Being within 2m and being within 10 shouldn't matter for the sake of this kind of coup de murder when you've got a moist nugget or equivalent, should it? But by the rules as they are, it matters a lot, and sniping someone is easier if you're behind them, despite them being unaware of both shots.

Which Ballad gun is the nagant anyway

This is why I asked
>Or is the "shooting them from behind" or "flanking" RS bonus supposed to apply in those situations were they're not aware of you, as well as when you're physically behind?
Because it's incongruent. Hitting someone from behind I figured was hard because they're unaware, not because their back is a bullet magnet, or am I off on that assumption?
I know taking things as RAW in a beta isn't exactly a brilliant idea, but I ask to clarify if these are also RAI and I'm just misunderstanding things, or the RAW just isn't elaborating enough on the whys and whats of its modifiers (which on one hand seems unlikely since shooting is the bread and butter of Ballad, but likely because it doesn't have RS modifiers for half the things that would affect that either, which is arguably more important)
>>
>>48949768
As for Riddick vs. Balboa, I know it was a rhetorical question and it was a point with which I agree (power level debates are mostly moot), I just figured it wasn't a great example since Stallone just got knocked in the face by someone who left humanity behind, not an actual superhuman, and Pitch Black is much more grandiose. I think Rambo vs. Riddick would be a much better example and perfectly illustrate your point (Riddick's an ayylium, but Rambo's the best of the best that humanity has to offer in killing, Riddick's killed with a tea cup, Rambo's killed with just about everything you can find in a forested area, back-and-forth dickwaving and meaningless comparisons all the day)

But wrt. Riddick never killing with his bare hands, is that really true? He didn't kill anyone with his bare hands in any of the sequels either? I only remember Pitch Black because that movie is still one of my favourites however goofy that sounds and however meh the sequels were, so that's a genuine question.
>>
>>48949848
If you're just shooting someone who has his back to you, or even someone who is facing you but unaware of you from 100m away, barring strange circumstances where closer people are trying to kill you, just count it as having taken a few full aim actions. Hell, count it as a range shooting. What circumstance are you in that you cannot have taken a full aim action, which takes less than ten seconds? Inb4 Lee Harvey Oswald. That nigger used Luck.

We cannot account for anything, these are rules for the sort of combat that is likely to occur. The base 4 for hitting has so far served us really well in all of our tests. Aberrations should be dealt with on a case to case basis.
>>
>>48949880
>Rambo
Oh, right. I forgot that those weren't in the same continuity. In my imagination, Rambo, Rocky, and The Untouchables are all the same story.
They really need to get Seagull into the next one. Pls hollywood, just do it.
>>
>>48949880
More seriously, we've seen him seriously fistfight in the vidya, but a few, like his fight with Largo, or the black guy who killed Silverman in Dark Athena were actually drawn out affairs against people who, in terms of lore, shouldn't have even known how to fight that well, that were fucking hard from a gameplay perspective. His fight with Ironlord is a good indicator that he is a hardass, but most of it is him knifing people, which is a lot different from boxing. Again, in a video game, what is canon? Is it this guy's no-damage speedrun, or is it my bumbling 300 continues playthrough?

I think we're more or less in agreement in principle. If you take, say, Jaime Lannister and put him in a room with Aragorn, who is the better swordsman? How can you possibly know that, all we know about them is that they're both really good. Jaime killed a bunch of knights, Aragorn killed a bunch of orcs, there's no objective scale for inter-literary asskicking.
>>
When should the high caliber upgrade be placed on an SoS gun? Obviously TN has diminishing returns past a certain point, but it seems unlikely that you'd get close to the point that damage > TN. I mean, a wheellock dragon or wheellock rifle w/ rife ball is TN 5 which appears to be as low as you can go, But since TN affects the amount of BS you get, which loops back around to damage it seems short-sighted to pump your TN up to get damage.

Also, ball vs shot: Shot's ability to compound on repeated location rolls seems strong, and all of those hits could sprinkle level 1 wounds on an enemy, but anyone with TOU 6 or any armor seems nearly immune to single location scattered shot. Ball's AP 6 makes it good for knight-slaying and the BS to damage is great but it seems like if you accidentally shoot someone directly in their bullet-proof cuirass or other strong armor piece that you've wasted a lot of time and effort.
>>
>>48951310
I forgot you can spend dice in Ballad to aim at a specific location, though that just compounds the need to make your rolled dice count, ie TN > damage
>>
>>48934327
Sounds like the appellation to a new variant on a model of dildo.
>>
>>48949944
I think the guy with the intact sword hand is the better swordsman.
>>
>>48949357
She doesn't have that sword. She's looking for that sword.
>>
Hey guys, genuine question. How would you go ahout making a minotaur race for song of swords?
>>
>>48954950
Tall, strong and clumsy. They probably can't take Noble or Officer schools but it depends on your setting. Something something access to magic.
>>
>>48955081
>>48954950
Special gore attack on the charge.
>>
>>48955146
Counts as STR+2 Hand or Short weapon, STR+3 and medium length if horns are massive. Can be dodged or blocked but not parried. Attacker's head and upper torso is exposed and easier to hit as a result.
>>
>>48955253
Can you beat or break the horns though?
>>
>>48955414
I'll beat your horns.
>>
>>48957417
Come at me me. Muurame, Finland.
>>
>>48958398
Let's split the difference and meet in the Azores.
Then we can forget our beef and hit on some qt Portugese chicks.
>>
>>48958593
>Azores
Is this the optimum headquarters for Beef International?

Works if we don't think it'll pick up in the Asian Markets right away.
>>
Hey Jimmy, just wanted to drop in to thank you for hanging around answering questions
I have no real questions of my own, just wanted to give some appreciation for all of the fucking cockteasing with the Soonening, what the hell is Australia doing
>>
>>48958398
Who is this mad Finn that wants to fight everyone?
>>
>>48961096
I thought that was all Finns.
>>
File: pliskin.jpg (46KB, 595x720px) Image search: [Google]
pliskin.jpg
46KB, 595x720px
>>48959781
I'm glad to do it. I kind of owe you guys because this has been taking so long, but more than that, I really like doing it. I'll always be here.
>>
File: 1440281745850.jpg (339KB, 797x594px) Image search: [Google]
1440281745850.jpg
339KB, 797x594px
>>48962689
here is goat for you
>>
ded thred
ded game
ded hope
>>
>>48964833
Death is not to be feared.
>>
File: Deadpool-Thanos-Death-2.jpg (85KB, 600x661px) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool-Thanos-Death-2.jpg
85KB, 600x661px
>>48965767
This. Death is for loving!
>>
>>48966619
Oh, Death
>>
>>48951310
It seems to me that if you've loaded with shot and can't penetrate their armor you've still got a bunch of level 0 wounds. In Ballad each of those still slaps a stun on a target. With a two-shooter you could shot-stun somebody and then close to cap them with a ball
>>
File: 28744_1236142800.jpg (180KB, 869x1000px) Image search: [Google]
28744_1236142800.jpg
180KB, 869x1000px
>tfw no stronk Ohanedin waifu
Why live? Says he as he artificially extends the threads lifespan
>>
>>48970399
Because life is suffering and suffering is fun
>>
Here's my post session rules-question dump

Can you use luck on an attack after your opponent has rolled their defense? If I rolled 4 success and my opponent rolls 5 parry, can I then spend luck to roll more dice or did I have to spend the luck immediately?

Can you declare special attacks or defenses in tandem with a simultaneous action? If you declare simultaneous parry/attack, can you riposte as the parry or deep draw cut as the attack? If you riposte/parry first, do you add your opponent's successes to your simultaneous attack or wait until next action?
>>
>>48972596
I'll have to consult the book for the second one, but in my game I generally allow luck to be used after defenses are rolled. Ideally you roll attack and defense simultaneously anyway.
>>
Is the interaction between Prone and Pain intentional? In that someone starting at Refresh as Prone, who has Pain equal to half his max CP rounded down, has to roll a WIL test despite only being at half the Pain that would be otherwise necessary?
It can make sense in that
>>
How exactly does Ally Defense work?
If the defense fails, does the attack hit the original target or the defender who did the Ally Defense? Can you do a Void Ally Defense?
>>
>>48973732
It works according to text but it should be changed. Generally if defense fails, attack reaches original target. But in case of Arm Parry and similiar maneuvers you get hit instead.
>>
Hold on a second, if Target Change is an Attack and not Instant, does that mean that changing the Target takes up your entire Action (assuming no simultaneous shenanigans)?
>>
File: shrugs.png (263KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
shrugs.png
263KB, 500x375px
>>48973732
>mfw my players rage over shield guys ally defending the big bad of the session while he montante-rapes them
>>
>>48974751
They should've brought more guns.
>>
>>48974889
They did well, but they're pretty rusty in combat and I was teaching them teamwork through example. They adapted quickly and narrowly snatched victory from the jaws of defeat
>>
Really is a dead thread; you guys only ever want to talk about zell waifus.
>>
Guess we need more stories.
>>
>>48977719
This happens periodically. I'm surprised the star vampires and pyromancy stuff didn't make a bigger splash.
>>
>>48979432
It's hard to follow things like "SOS MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN THIS CENTURY" and "A Capella of Automatons is going to be a thing."
>>
I've returned wondering if you guys have a means of fighting human sized monsters. werewolves of a sort, or giant spiders, ogres, wargs, unicorns, skin-walkers, wendigos, shoggoths, jabberwockeys, and other absurd beasts.
>>
File: hehehehe spoopy.png (870KB, 873x596px) Image search: [Google]
hehehehe spoopy.png
870KB, 873x596px
>>48979929
yes
>>
File: Grue attack.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Grue attack.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48979929
old but, the principles apply
>>
>>48977719
Hey, sometime we talk about Burdinadin waifus.

>>48978842
Or a fecht. Whence are thou, Sharpebro?
>>
File: 1470170073542.png (249KB, 426x454px) Image search: [Google]
1470170073542.png
249KB, 426x454px
>>48975327
>zweihänder cross-defense against like 26 bonus successes against a guy's neck, represent
>>
File: Long_Memory.jpg (49KB, 497x674px) Image search: [Google]
Long_Memory.jpg
49KB, 497x674px
>>48981078
>>
>>48978842
I've still got the Poland game to finish up describing. It's late, but I should be free tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be a scumbag and actually do it.
>>
>>48977719
Honestly given that we're on /tg/ the weird mosntergirl stuff is very reserved.
>>
>>48980816
Lies. Burdinadin are not for sexualization. They are for subjugation.

>>48980816
What are some good fechts to look up?
>>
>>48982763
Pls no bully the neets. Also Drosaicoquest and Camillus's fecht were both top tier.
>>
>>48982763
I meant to say Ohanedin.

Ratko fecht, those terrorists from Ballad, Diego Mario Gallisco de Gascogne Sulla Redentor de la Santisima Sol Blasco Lopez, Sulla fecht, Karl vs Clovis.

You know what? Just go to 4plebs and search by username for John Galt, that should get you plenty.
>>
>>48984171
His legend is one worth reading, even without Fechts.
>>
>>48981284
I, for one, enjoy reading Poland game stories.
>>
So, how do you re-target someone who has un-targeted themselves from you? If you just pay 1 CP to switch targets, it seems like getting untargeted is not very useful in most situations.
>>
>>48987698
If it's the two of you and others in a fight and your opponent switches targets away from you? I'd think you stay targeted on him, he'd need to thread the needle to only be engaged with your buddy.
>>
>>48981284
Yes pls.
>>
>>48987698
Hmm, I'd say you'd have to wait one round or action to retarget someone who used a maneuver to untarget themselves from you.
>>
>>48987698
>>48988533
>>48990033
It just feels like that, since it's not Instant, it has to be declared when other Attack options are available, which yeah would be next Action. And since the rules say you can only use one Maneuver per turn, unless otherwise noted in the maneuver itself, it feels like an oversight overall
>>
>>48987698
Well, for Slip About and Outmaneuver, the result is Outflanking which says: "Outflanking
Certain situations in combat can result in a character Outflanking another character. When a character
Outflanks another character, they gain certain benefits:
-The Outflanked character cannot Target or Attack the Outflanking character."
But also: "Outflanking ends if the Outflanked character Targets the Outflanking character. However, if in a combat
with multiple opponents, Targeting one who is Outflanking, and thus ending their Outflanking status, may
cause another enemy to become Outflanking, at the GM’s discretion."
So really, they're screwed either way, though it need to clarify between "Cannot Target" and "ends if the outflanked targets the outflanker."

Thread the Needle has no such clause and can't really stop them from retargeting you as far as I can see.

Though if you both are untargeted from each other with TtN, are you still in combat with each other or does he become a bystander until he can rejoin the fray?
>>
File: mongolianmeme.jpg (91KB, 406x326px) Image search: [Google]
mongolianmeme.jpg
91KB, 406x326px
Today I learned about hilt pushing. It was neat. I used lever down to put this clown on the floor and then murder-struck him in the face repeatedly. Shit was neat
>>
So if I get a custom hilt on my Schiavona to bump it up to tight grip 3, does that mean if I spend 2 CP on power attack that I deal 5 bonus damage or does it just increase max strength?
>>
File: comealongSLAVES.jpg (86KB, 736x567px) Image search: [Google]
comealongSLAVES.jpg
86KB, 736x567px
Some Timurid cleavage from last thread to bump us before bed.
>>
>>48992259
Custom Grip. Though you could do Custom Hilt as well for 5 defense on the hand.

>When using the Power Attack option on a Swing attack, inflict 1 additional damage, and increase the Max STR (Swing) of your weapon by 1

So, both? Increase the STR cap by 3 and add 3 additional power attack damage.

A Custom Gripped and Hilted Dussack is only 2 sp, and though it's only Tight Grip 1 to begin with, it's also Draw 2. That's a nasty, cheap, little side weapon right there.
>>
File: Ef1a.jpg (22KB, 266x247px) Image search: [Google]
Ef1a.jpg
22KB, 266x247px
>>48977719
Boatnigger elves are so novel though!
>>
>>48897119
>A naked unarmed ODin can reliably bust up a fully armored and armed human of equal ability more than half of the time.
If you're using Rules of Nature you'd better be ready to immediately get medical attention after using it or you're dead in seconds from bloodloss most of the time
>>
>>48996487
It's not just that they can do more damage, they also have that flat reduction to Parry and Block. An Ohanedin with a shield can be close to unkillable.
>>
>>48951310
>When should the high caliber upgrade be placed on an SoS gun?
Never. +1 TN is never worth +1 damage in practical gameplay.
>>
I'm Angry! Angry about Coup de Grace!
So it says
"Requirements: Grappling, have Advantage, wielding a weapon of S Reach or shorter with an arm that is
not Trapped, Pinned or Locked. This weapon must inflict piercing damage on the Thrust.
Maneuver: Thrusting Weapon Attack at Weapon Reach with X dice, at Thrust TN+1, aimed at Hit
Location with the Weak Spot quality on Opponent armor."

But later it says
"Special: If the weapon being used is of S Reach or less, make this Attack at -1 TN"

So, if it can't be used with anything longer than S, and adds +1 TN, but anything S or shorter is at -1 TN, it doesn't actually alter your TN at all.

If indeed you can use longer weapons than S, is the -1 TN from the base TN of the weapon? Or is it from the +1 TN of the Coup attack, bringing it back down to base? Is the -1 supposed to be for H length weapons?
>>
>>48996573
Or a Maine Gauche.
>>
>>48996943
If it is a DAGGER of S or less reach is gets -1TN actually. Short Swords and Cutlasses need not apply.
>>
File: image.png (488KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
488KB, 2048x1536px
>>48997946
And here's a cap for you, page 97.
>>
>>48996573
>An Ohanedin with a shield can be close to unkillable.
A naked unarmed Ohanedin doesn't have a shield. Besides, you're vastly overstating the power of -1 TN.

>>48996487 said
>A naked unarmed ODin can reliably bust up a fully armored and armed human of equal ability more than half of the time.
This just isn't true. I'd love to see the math on that.
>>
File: Coup.png (370KB, 2614x746px) Image search: [Google]
Coup.png
370KB, 2614x746px
>>48996943
The maneuver text is fucked up. You always need an S reach weapon and the -1 and +1 will always cancel out.

>>48997967
You are wrong. You are clearly not using v1.9.9, nor are you using the grappling update that came after it. You must be on some old version of the rules.
>>
>>48998287
Grapple and throw, m8. Kill anyone.
>>
>>48998333
You're right it's 1.9 I'm looking at though in my defence mine make far more sense.
>>
Okay. It's been a long time, but it's time. Time for Poland. Apologies for no images, and if the story is a little bit incoherent. It's stupid late and I've got class in the morning. I also apologize to the group for anything I forgot or fucked up in the telling.

We left the party in their plan to kill The Boar, the terroristic mercenary of 17th century Poland. Our heroes were Ahnold, a giant beast of an Englishman with a nasty looking greatsword, Anime Man, the pretty-boy Swiss with a bad case of White Knight Syndrome, a Prussian who still thought it was the 14th century, a giant Scotsman with a maul and a small squad of musketeers, a world-weary Cossack who was starting to have some paternalistic feelings toward Anime Man, and an extravagantly wealthy English noble who appeared at the beginning of the campaign and rejoined near the end. Together, they fought war crimes.

The party had secured the help of a Russian colonel, a horde of peasants angry about being raided gathered by the Prussian in a rousing speech, and a small cadre of mercenary troops drawn from allies and their own personal retinues. They had a veritable army.

The next day, they woke up to find freshly painted handbills asking for whoever was seeking The Boar to find him at the town's market that day. The symbol they would know him by would be a sword, matching one that the Cossack had captured from one of The Boar's officers. Suspicious of an ambush and hopeful for an assassination, they set up some muskets on some roofs and sent out the Switzer and Prussian to meet the boar in his incredibly ostentatious carriage, flying a heavily decorated yataghan on a pole.
>>
>>48998610

The Boar turned out to be a fairly stocky, somewhat tall man with a Polish haircut and manor of dress. He was in fact Dutch, and he was able to converse with his two charges in German. He started out immediately by letting everyone know that he had some men in the nearby church, ready to light some barrels of gunpowder in the undercroft if they saw harm come to their boss. Talking it is, then.

They talked for a short while. The Boar wanted to know why they were chasing him. It's a question of honor, they answered. He got that. He had a job to do and wanted to do it as quickly as possible. There's honor in that, right? Yes, the party replies, as long as you aren't being a complete bastard. So, the Boar gives them a choice. Accept the party's heaviest sword's weight in gold, or be killed the next time they interferred. They elected to continue to pursue him. The Switzer offered to try and call off his comrades if the Boar removed all the gunpowder in the church, but the Boar just laughed him off. “Take it, I'm leaving tomorrow anyway.”

Now that they had come to an understanding, the Boar told the party to fuck off and go lick the boots of their Hapsburg overlords, slightly more politely, and everyone parted ways. A job had to be done.
So, the party planned. A few people sent out to comb the streets, some went out to buy supplies. After some wooed maidens and old friends called up, it was discovered that a bunch of foreign horsemen were swaggering around the city, that they seemed to be holed up in the old Jewish quarter, now abandoned after some angry Cossacks burned it out, and that prostitutes had been going missing lately. A likely location to plan. Meanwhile, the Scotsman went out and bought some Turkish abus guns and schemed.
>>
>>48998623

The next morning, the day that the Boar was supposedly leaving, dawned. Contacts in the city warned of a massive horde of soldiers marching out of the city. The allies were gathered. An ambush was set near a city gate. Everything was ready. Lines of musketeers and peasants led by the Scotsman and English noble, a few Russian horsemen led by the Prussian, the Cossack in a window with the abus gun, and the Switzer and Ahnold in the side with a few more heavy footmen.

Around the corner came the Boar's men. Ranks of pikemen, currently armed just with their swords for the march out of town. A mass of reiters, armed and ready. A carriage, dragging a small cannon and flanked by men with saber-halberds (fuck you I found a chance to use them). The Boar wasn't in the open, but the party guessed he was in the carriage.

With a cry and a volley of muskets, the Russian cavalry charged. The Reiters counter charged and took ground, actually managing to push back the Russians despite the good command and great horsemanship of the Prussian. The musketeers did their bloody work, while the confused pikemen tried to form up. Meanwhile, the characters hiding in the flanks spotted some women in the carriage and signaled for the Cossack to not shoot directly into the carriage. He made due with tossing some lantern oil and fire on some poor pikemen.

The battle was long (in real time and game) and fierce. Russians and Reiters clashed, peasants ran up and tried to drag men off of horses, and musketeers picked off men. Confused pikemen tried to rally, and the rich Englishman gleefully used his ornate gun to fuck people up at a distance. The Scotsman led it all, directing the peasants and musketeers.
>>
>>48998630

The flankers moved behind the carriage. The Switzer looked inside and saw frightened trollops, but also a saber-halberdeer that had noticed him. I use a weird homebrew version of Arc in my game called Passions and Pitfalls, kind of like Passions in Runequest, where I can entice players to act according to their flaws by bribing them with Spiritual Attribute-style rerolls. Anime Man took my offer and acted on his White Knight flaw, ignoring the officer to open the door. He found an armored man inside, surrounded by these frightened women. The Switzer had a gun. The armored man had a gun. Red/Red. They shot each other, the armored man in the throat (this was mostly stopped by armor) and the Switzer right in his exposed face. He fell back in a pool of blood, with a really nasty wound to the face. Meanwhile, Ahnold snuck up behind another guard and shot him point blank in the back as the poor man tried to figure out what the fuck was going on. Meanwhile, the man he had sworn to the Cossack he would protect fell back, defeated.

The Cossack saw this happen, and made a snap decision. He shot through the carriage. The man in the armor fell with a giant hole in his chest, as did one of the women. Up front, the peasants and the musketeers and now a bunch of flanking heavy footmen made the Boar's men start to crack. They looked back, expecting their leader to exit the carriage and rally them. There was nobody there.

They broke. Panicked men fled back through the streets, pursued by the Party's small army. Meanwhile, everyone rushed to the poor Switzer's side as he bled to death on the street.
>>
>>48998645

A fucking amazing first aid roll from the Prussian kept him from death's door. He was rushed back to their base of operations, where a Russian surgeon waited for the inevitable flood of wounded. A fantastic roll from the surgeon and an even more fantastic assist roll from the Prussian actually saved his life. Anime Man, called such by me because of his shounen attitude and bishounen looks, was left permanantly disfigured. Meanwhile, the rest of the party identified the armored corpse as The Boar and beheaded him to take to their employer. They found his armor stuffed with political and religious tracts from the Thirty Years War, and concluded that he had been an incredibly superstitious man who believed religion, any religion, would save him. They weren't far from the truth.

After some weeks of recovery, the party returned to their imployer as the calender slipped to 1656. The old man who had hired them to kill the bastard actually smiled when he was presented the pickled head. His last wealth was split between the party, though a few refused and he even offered to adopt any of the party as nobility and pass on his title. I asked the players to describe their character's lives after this great bloody event in Poland.
>>
>>48998658

The Prussian refused the money and the title, being noble as well. He died of syphilis only a year and a half later, and was buried next to his wife and child. His line died with him.

The English Noble continued his hunting in Russia, married his ladyfriend who had accompanied him for most of the travels of hunting down the party, and settled down to help his new, very large Scottish friend open a gunsmithy in Scotland. Both turned down the title, instead using the money for other things.

The Switzer went home with the money and no title, having avenged his brother's death and hailed as something of a hero by the rest of the party. After making a small monument for his brother, he locked away his sword and worked for his father's print shop, married, and had a son that he named after the old Cossack who once traveled with him and looked out for him.

The Cossack, meanwhile, refused the title as well and took the money to Constantinople. He opened a sweet shop, freed a young Christian girl to marry him, and spent his time and money buying and freeing Orthodox slaves to help them return home.

Ahnold took the money and title and continued the life of an adventurer. He retired years later, distinguished but maimed. He rules over a good plot of land and dies thirty years after the game, fairly content with his life.

Thus ended one of the best games I've ever played in or run. I'm looking to try and make another game at some point, but it'll be hard to top this one.

>>48988970
>>48986581
Glad you enjoy them. It's been a great time, and I've had a lot of fun with the group and the system. It was the character interaction that really made it. The back and forth between all of these different nationalities and worldviews, plus the constant fear of death, made it a really tense and dramatic game. It went on just long enough to keep the impact. I think that's key for good story-driven SoS games. Keep it short and sweet so the risk doesn't become oppressive.
>>
>>48998703
Nice. Good man. How would you say SoS worked overall, aside from being best for short-ish campaigns?
>>
>>48998703
That seems like a really fun campaign.
>>
>>48998967
It worked pretty well. I never really ran into any areas where the game flat out didn't work, or where I felt I was being held back as a GM. The exception is the final battle which involved about a hundred and fifty men. That would have been a mess so I used a very simple version of initiative and treated each group of men as a single block that rolled at each other.

We had a major advantage of being made entirely out of SoS vets, so rules issues never really came up much. I have run games for novices in the past, however, and after a short learning curve they reached a similar level of quality in their play. One really, really big advantage that the system has is the attitude it fosters in players. When everyone can die a slow, painful, meaningless death to some pissant with a degen, players tend to act much more like people. They take it slow, they try and talk it out, and they try and get every advantage they can get. This, combined with the Boons and Banes system's tendency to spit out a bunch of deeply broken human beings with all kinds of baggage, means that without even trying you're going to get a bunch of very interesting interaction between players, NPCs, and within the party itself. Without too much pushing, people will make and play Bernard Cornwell novel characters. It's great fun.

I wish the skill system were a bit better. It's both very barebones and a little clunky at the same time. Fewer skills would help, as would folding things like Chymystry into wider skill categories. Skills are totally functional, but definitely the weakest part of the game.

Right now, I'm running a weird abomination of a game. A solo game based on Legend of Zelda mixed with elements of Legend of the Five Rings. Samurai Zelda, basically. I'm using it as a place to experiment with using the system for a bit more cinematic games, and with making it less soul crushing in general. I'll report back on that at some point.
>>
>>48999114
One thing I have been doing is doling out Luck points. The campaign naturally has divided into major sections that are roughly analogous to dungeons in a Zelda game, with fewer, more important fights and no block pushing puzzles because fuck that. Rather than hand out heart containers after each of these segments, I'm handing out a luck point for each one. The player can become much more daring and capable of surviving over time, and I even have an excuse that the hero is becoming more in tune with destiny or something like that.
>>
>>48998645
>hit Anime Boy in the unexposed face
What is up with people taking Beautiful and not wearing head gear? Is being suicidal a thing that comes with beauty?
>>
Great stuff Poland, glad your game ended well but sad it ended. Not a lot of SoS games running out there at least that we get to hear of. I think there's some not!Albania game that I've heard murmurs of but not much else.
>>
Do Missile attacks in Call of the Void use the same MP modifiers as Song of Swords? So if you shoot at someone in melee combat against an ally, you get -6 MP rather than a Defense increase?
>>
>>48999114
>The Prussian refused the money and the title, being noble as well. He died of syphilis only a year and a half later, and was buried next to his wife and child. His line died with him.

What the fuck? Did you roll for this?

Also, the cossack married a male Christian girl? So he married anime guy?
>>
So Jimmy, since the Soonening isn't coming any time soon, I'm curious regarding the kickstarter everyone's been saying you're going to do eventually (though I don't know if that's just a meme or not)
Now, the question is that regardless of when the readable, legible version of SoS comes out, a large portion of the niche to which it's a good buy has already played it for ages as you had enough good sense to give out the first dose for free, but is the plan to sell the edited version in the Kickstarter? Because even if it's not available for 'free', you know the loving and sharing nature of 4chan so it'd get pirated almost instantaneously. If it IS free, what's the plan for recouping the costs? Setting books? Medley of Mechs? Because those are niches of an already tiny niche, and it seems like it'd have a hard time breaking even, much less become sustainable as a business

Personally I'd unzip my wallet for a kickstarter out of principle (gotta show solidarity and support my fellow Christian Socialist-Fascist comrades after all), but I doubt there's enough right-minded people out there to pay for the several decades Australia apparently requires to do everything wrong

>>49000575
Try reading it as "a young Christian girl was freed by the Cossack to marry him"

English is a dumb language
>>
>>49000575
Nope. I had each person freely narrate their own fate, and he elected to have his character die after fulfilling this one last job.

As for the Cossack, I'm just sleep deprived. A better way would be to say that he freed a Christian slave, and then married her.
>>
>>48949902
>What circumstance are you in that you cannot have taken a full aim action, which takes less than ten seconds?
One in which you're hidden out of sight, but your allies are up in some asshole Frog's grill and you wanna bust a nigga up when he least expects it

Since each Bout is a Phase, and you need three Phases, you've got a good chance of them having killed each other by the time you get a fully aimed shot
>>
>>49000575
Prussian here. This is keeping with a thing I've done with many of this gm's campaigns. I guess it's hard to tell from story time because of the missing details, but I had been hunting at syphillis during the campaign. For example, after the tavern fire in the first city, I had suggested that we sneak into the star fort that was under siege and hole up there because "it would be easier to break a siege with monks than to escape in our own. This train of actions, along with my out of date equipment, all was supposed to point to something being wrong with my character. I also felt that a 'happily' ever after ending didn't fit my character, and that this was the best thing that could happen to him.
>>
>>49001110
That being said, this was by far the best campaign I've played. Most of these players I had played with before, and I've played in numerous campaigns with anime man, but we've always played characters with opposite personalities that ultimately grew to hate each other. This was the first time that we really got to interact in something other than insults, and it lead to a lot of fun and depth in the party.
>>
>>49000756
I also would like to resolve that basement brawl at some point.
>>
>>48998418
That does make more sense.
>>
>>49001110
>I had been hunting at syphillis
I really hope you mean hinting.
>>
>>49002513
I did, but I also typed that up on my phone while I was eating cereal at my workplace.
>>
>>48999136
That's a pretty good idea.
>>
>>48998645
That's a great end to the campaign.
>>
>>49001110
I always got the hint of him being unhinged. I probably should have mentioned how he was singing during that last cavalry skirmish.
>>
>>49008074
Barely played attention to those Russians either, just leeroy'd until things worked out.
>>
>>49008074
Actually it would have been better to mention how I sort of charged in without waiting for the others, and directly in front of our own guns to boot.
>>
>>48985169
Explanation request bump
>>
>>49009854
John Galt is a crazy fucking guy. I once dove into the archives for all of his posts, and found stories about how he was held at gunpoint by a Greek homeless man as a child, and how he braided his beard in the shape of a skull when he first immigrated to the United States to stop people from making fun of his accent.
>>
>>48998412
An O-din doesn't do that any better or worse than any human.
>>
What do Burdinadin prosthesis look like?
>>
File: Robo.jpg (30KB, 434x333px) Image search: [Google]
Robo.jpg
30KB, 434x333px
>>49015150
Anywhere from Automail to Adam Jensen, depending on the glade and buyer. I prefer the automail aesthetic, but I believe that the Jensen look is more common in canon. Burds do some of the manufacturing via chemical processes, due to the fine nature of the piece.
>>
>>49012035
Well, they're slightly stronger at base, but what I meant was as written right now grappling throws are so hideously overpowered that it honestly doesn't matter what your strength is, if you can get one off the opponent is probably going to be killed instantly.
>>
File: AHHHHHHH.jpg (60KB, 703x277px) Image search: [Google]
AHHHHHHH.jpg
60KB, 703x277px
Some pretty serious steps forward in Mass Combat, lads. There are some similarities between ours and old Riddle of Steels, but it's more focused around individual groups of men under the leadership of a commander than a more amorphous blob of troops all bashing together. That isn't strictly realistic for the time period, but it's easier to grok for most people, and it lends to the PCs commanding a small part of a larger force and doing battle where their personal efforts can be more meaningful.

The rules right now include a simple system for raising and outfitting troops, and a similarly simple system for resolving combat between units which include multiple ways for the PCs to contribute, ranging from fighting on the front lines, making sick shots with their missile weapons against enemy officers or standard-bearers, duels with Champions, relaying orders, and helping the wounded.

Unit options include different types of troops including swordsmen, spears, pikemen, light and heavy cavalry, and halberdiers. Archers and the like to come later, though units with integrated groups of gunners or crossbowmen, javelins, pistols and the like are currently supported. Right now I think it's fair to say a Tercio formation can be represented pretty well.

A sample: Units with grenades increase the casualties on both sides, which is strong if you win quickly, but a terrible disadvantage if combat continues for too long, as your unit might win handily after a few Rounds, but still suffer 30 or so losses, which are then rolled at Difficulty 7, with each failure representing a 1% loss of the Unit.
>>
>>49018520
Do you plan to make a version for COTV eventually? Preferably that's somehow cross compatible.

Can you tell us about the natural resources and where they're located? Do they have fossil fuels? Coal? Some more exotic stuff like magestone deposits?
>>
>>49018520
What is that I see? Is that a progress?
>>
>>49012035
They can't, no, but they're better at being unarmored
>>
>>49020517
Well yeah
>>
>>49020517
i mean as Ohanedin you should always wear at least a gambeson. Can literally be the difference between life and death
>>
Jimmy Rome drops new game info and y'all are letting the thread die. I'm bumping while hiking, what's your excuse?
>>
>>49025191
I'm playing games and was letting others have the chance to unkill the thread.
>>
>>49018520
Can it do a random mass of men, or is it all regimented units?
>>
Can I finally do my "Kingdom" game with this? When will the mass combat rules be ready, Jimmy?
>>
Jimmy did you ever post the stats of the Model 71 Aldwulf-Osterbek autocannon?
>>
>>49029117
Is that a Chironite thing or
>it's fucking Burdinadin

Holy shit even back then everything cool had a German name.
>>
>>49018520
>There are some similarities between ours and old Riddle of Steels
Like literally everything else in your game. Wow.
>>
>>49029404
Yeah. Shame the fecht never ran though.
>>
>>49029751
Hey, it's been like six months! Everyone drink!
>>
>>49030132
I just left the bar but I will when I get home.
>>
>>49030132
Damn, this one is perfectly timed too.
>>
>>49029751
We're dying like Riddle of Steel as well.
>>
>>49027689
It will not be long now. I'll release it once we have missile units figured out. It's all very primitive now, but the system does work pretty well, insofar as the crash of two groups of armed men are concerned.

>>49029751
I say it because many people very much liked the combat of that game. This, however, is a different beast, even if it bears some superficial similarities.
>>
Bump
>>
>>49018520
So troops rout only if they take high casualties or it is one of the morale modifier for rout test?
>>
>>49039235
>Want to hug elf
>Snek is at groin height
Why do elves hate hugs?
>>
>>49040137
If I had to guess not knowing anything the units probably come together, choose tactics, roll some dice which are modified by veterinary, equipment, chosen tactics, leadership and whatever else and then one or both make a rout test to not run away.

Judging from the cap, if one side can hit like a truck and win a bunch of points WFB-style and just get the other to rout they won't take casualties and the other can be run down at their leisure, shock cav is probably all in with doing this and have nothing to survive a protracted combat. If both stick around both probably take casualties and then another round happens.

As for casualties before the resolution I don't know but I guess the ranged units could end up like that.
>>
File: veterinarian.jpg (103KB, 680x454px) Image search: [Google]
veterinarian.jpg
103KB, 680x454px
>>49042398
>veterinary
I always knew good pet healthcare was the key to winning battles.
>>
>>49042492
I thought that was too few letters for veterancy to be suggested.
>>
File: 1464860279892.jpg (48KB, 565x550px) Image search: [Google]
1464860279892.jpg
48KB, 565x550px
>>
>>49042492
Well, cavalry horses can technically be considered pets.
>>
File: Oww.jpg (356KB, 1120x1220px) Image search: [Google]
Oww.jpg
356KB, 1120x1220px
>>49045246
>Cavalry unit quality
>Purebred horses
>Distilled essence of horse
>+2 dice in every situation

Come on Jimmy we know you love the pure breeding.
>>
>>49045354
>Aryan uberhorse
>>
>>49045354
Jimmy does love that racial purity, yeah
>>
Hey boys, how well could CotV be shoved into Exalted's Heaven's Reach setting?
>>
>>49046842
I don't know tell us of this setting.
>>
Apologies for the entry-level question, but could someone outline the major differences between SoS and RoS? Familiar with the latter and not terribly impressed by it so I'm trying to figure out if SoS is worth learning.
>>
>>49048461
Well they are pretty similar to be frank, what didn't you like about RoS?
>>
>>49048461
It's an attempt to fix the many problems with it.
>>
>>49046842
Not at all.
>>49046986
It's like Asura's Wrath
>>
Does this look like a good spread for PCP?

PCP:
>Burdinadin: 4
>Attributes: 6
>Skills: 5
>Prof: 5
>Social Class: 5
>Boons: 5
>>
>>49049012
Looks like a good character, not for white room murderbox but good for going walkabout Vosca. Just don't forget to get plenty of money for your lobster suit.
>>
>>49049132
Yeah. It's for a (mercenary) campaign and that's why I put 5 PCP into Social/Wealth class.
>>
>>49048461
>>49048509
This. The core of the game isn't tremendously different, so it really depends on what you didn't like.
>>
>>49049476
It seemed to me that while you can customize characters out the ass and get really crunchy with weapons, it didn't seem like there was a whole lot of variety of what you could do in combat other than fighting with different weapons. Perhaps I misjudged, but it didn't seem as interesting to play as to make characters for.
>>
>>49049694
I think that this was a misjudgement on your part, honestly. There was a lot of variety in how you fight, and the same is true in SoS. Various maneuvers add a lot of depth.
>>
Bump for gunblades
>>
>>49052871
What sort of gunblades?
>>
File: Elgin_cutlass_pistol.jpg (85KB, 1818x652px) Image search: [Google]
Elgin_cutlass_pistol.jpg
85KB, 1818x652px
>>49054798
>>
Is it intentional that you can't actually Harden 4/7 of the Weak Points that a full set of Burdinadin armor would have?
>>
>>49048461
The core mechanics are fundamentally similar, though there are differences. I'd say SoS takes armor and some maneuvers deeper than they were in TROS, and the weapons are detailed in a far more coherent and standardized way.

There's also more fantasy elements in terms of non-human races and stuff, and from what we've seen of magic so far, it's a lot less based around combining effects and more about abilities with well-defined uses. Makes it easier to use, but less flexible. Though, that's only Dark Pyromancy, which seems very focused on killing things or resurrecting the undead.

Also undead are core, and they're fucking unstoppable, which is a big change from most fantasy games.
>>
>>49055038
>no one can stop FISCAL
>>
With Burdinadin armor, how would you try to get to Light Encumbrance without sacrificing too much Insulation, Augmentations and ideally armor protection?

Best I can think of is getting rid of the Couters, Fauld and Gorget. But that would just bring my armor down to 22 Weight.

Ideally I'd like to get my armor Weight to 18 to 22.
>>
>>49055203
Get a metal box and 8 human servants to carry it and travel inside. No encumbrance at all.
>>
>>49055231
But then I can't effectively fecht.

Really though I wish they brought back the lighter armor sets.
>>
>>49055316
The most effective fecht strategy is 10 halberdiers and a gun anyway.
>>
>>49055428
Ah, yes. The Gizka Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY7qOwaZEqw
>>
File: curassiers.png (575KB, 570x470px) Image search: [Google]
curassiers.png
575KB, 570x470px
>Mass Combat Rules

I may need these soon for my game, so I'm glad to hear that they're en route. Of course, assuming they follow the standard rate I can expect to see them sometime during the opening ceremonies for the Tokyo Olympic.
>>
So, for a horse-rider what do you all think is the best weapon set? I really like the Koncerz as a one handed lance-charging estoc and obviously any good reiter needs a few saddle-holsters with wheellock pistols, but what about a sidearm? Being able to survive being dismounted seems important, so I feel like something that pairs well with a shield but doesn't suck during a ride-by is ideal. A buckler or rodela paired with something that with both hook and shock seems like a good way to contribute to nonmounted combat. Thoughts?
>>
>>49057972
Two shields, dual-wielded, then Trample everyone and everything.
>>
File: reiterreitermetermaid.jpg (168KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
reiterreitermetermaid.jpg
168KB, 800x1067px
>>49057972
A Hussar Sabre is L from horseback, Draw 5 during a ride-by with a custom grip, and parries well if you get your shield hooked/beaten. If you're worried about stun/knockdown then just shield bash--- or just play defensive until you can deep draw cut their fucking head off.
>>
Also, doesn't it seem weird that you ignore encumbrance from your lower body on a horse when historically, horsemen began to eschew leg armor to keep the weight down? I suppose that's an issue of the horse's carry? It just seems unlikely to matter since a horse can carry such an obscene amount of weight without difficulty. Though it does seem like a Destrier carries significantly less weight than other horses despite the likelihood that they'll be carrying heavier armored men.
>>
Can the COTV initiative system be used for SOS as is?
>>
>>49058782
Yeah, basically. I've never had a problem. The only issue is weapon reloading, which has always been weird anyway.
>>
File: breakdancingvshorse.jpg (43KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
breakdancingvshorse.jpg
43KB, 400x299px
>>49058398
>not lance-charging and then trampling for maximum fuck you
>>
>>49057972
Horseman's axe? The handmade is only S but it's +2c with hook and I think AP 1 Shock 1. I can't remember the 1H stats for battleaxe but they are similar at M.
Or a 1H Tabarzin with L range.
>>
>>49059937
>Not taking Tall 2 and fat and trampling everything yourself
>>
>>49060751
1H Battleaxe is M (L on horseback), shock 2, hook, and AP swing 1. The Tabarzin (literally, saddle axe) is L (VL on horseback), hook, shock 1, and AP swing 1. The Battleaxe has less reach, but more shock and is cheaper.

For a horseman, the Tabarzin seems better because you have the unmounted reach to hook another horseman out of his saddle. However, if you're using a koncerz and a hussar sabre, a persian saddle-ax is a little odd. A battleaxe is more in line with the theme of the character and is slightly cheaper to boot.
>>
>>49061198
The battleaxe also has a better thrust TN in case you want to slap an arming spike on it and use it like a miniature halberd.
>>
What's a good loadout for PCs weapon wise? Should they all have a ranged weapon, polearm and then some sort of one-handed melee sidearm?
>>
>>49061346
Depends on how you want to fight, but if you are using something big (like a polearm or 2h sword) you should definitely have a sidearm. Ranged weapons aren't bad but I've yet to really hear one of my players lament not having one.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 768x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 768x500px
>>48888457
New bread soon?
>>
File: Scan10141-1.jpg (399KB, 935x1363px) Image search: [Google]
Scan10141-1.jpg
399KB, 935x1363px
>>49060841
It just works, man!!
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.