[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beyond the Pale RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Fairydog.png (949KB, 1160x694px) Image search: [Google]
Fairydog.png
949KB, 1160x694px
Hello there /;tg/;! Tonite I'm bringing you a thread about an up and coming modern-fantasy RPG called "Beyond the Pale"

So far, the dev and a handful of volunteers have worked on a number of miscellaneous things in the RPG amongst a small number of fans on the games blog on tumblr, (beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com) but they've asked ME to make a thread here, to try to see how others like it. Honestly not some kind of viral marketing thing, they just want to know if there's anything glaringly wrong or could use a tweak. They're just very shy about making threads here, for some reason.

beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com/FAQ Obviously, the Frequently Asked Questions about the RPG itself.

Not asking you to help make the game for them, but any questions or feedback you might have would be immensely appreciated.
>>
Q: What is Beyond the Pale?

A: Beyond the Pale is an independently developed and written tabletop RPG, intended to be released for free online when completed. The setting is a modern urban fantasy with elements of gothic horror and film noir, drawing inspiration from mythology and folklore from across the globe.

Q: What does the setting include?

A: The setting is based on the idea that humanity got glimpses of the truth but never the entire thing. Folklore, religion, mythology all had elements of truth but rarely saw things for what they truly are. Now, in the modern age, the supernatural world thrives, hidden from view. Elves and trolls live in cities, out of sight, vampires stalk alleyways and even worse things linger in the dark, on the edges of human perception.

Q: What does the title mean?

A: To go “beyond the pale” is an old term to cross over the barrier from lawful country to the wilds, where the king’s law no longer held sway. In this way “Beyond the Pale” references the fact that normal humans go beyond the realm of normalcy and the rules they once knew no longer apply.

Q: Why free?

A: Because this is a project being done out of love and to prove to myself that I can do game design. I don’t want to charge people when this is my first work, even if it is ambitious. I also hesitate to ask for money through crowdfunding because I have yet to produce something tangible. After release a crowdfunding option may be opened to fund expansions.

Q: Can I help?

A: At the moment the project is in dire need of artwork for the gamebooks. Please consult the “Artist Info” section for information.
>>
beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com/artistinfo
For those that are inclined to drawing and might want to lend a helping hand.
>>
http://beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com/post/148567160735/attributes-and-skills

ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
Attributes and skills determine a character’s physical and mental aptitudes and proficiency, differentiating them from other characters.

Advancement Points

Attributes and skills are advanced by Advancement Points (AP). Advancement points are usually rewarded after a character reaches a new level, allowing them to spend these points to improve their attributes and skills.

Occasionally, a GM may choose to reward players for quick thinking or engaging roleplaying with additional AP.

Players start their characters at level 1 with 90 AP to spend and gain 20 AP every level afterward.

Spending AP

A character does not need to spend all their AP immediately. They may choose to hold on to all or some of their AP for future investment.

AP can only be spent during an extended rest, such as sleep. If a character is not actively engaged in an extended rest they cannot spend AP.

Both attributes and skills increase in cost as they are improved. All characters start with rank 1 in each attribute.
>>
Might b cool
>>
Attributes

Attributes are the raw physical and mental acuity of any given character. Attributes are broken up into 8 categories: Strength, Dexterity, Perception, Body, Intellect, Cunning, Charisma and Willpower.

Strength (St): Strength is the measure of a character’s raw physical power. A character’s strength score determines their maximum carry weight.

Dexterity (Dx): Dexterity is a character’s reflexes and agility. The dexterity score influences a character’s movement speed.

Perception (Pc): Perception determines how aware a character is of their surroundings, through sight, smell and hearing. The perception score helps build a character’s initiative score.

Body (Bd): Body represents how physically fit and healthy a character is. The body score directly impacts how many hit points a character possesses.

Intellect (In): Intellect is the measure of a character’s linear and logical thinking. The intellect score determines how many specializations a character can have.

Cunning (Cu): Cunning represents a character’s guile and non-linear thinking abilities. The cunning score directly impacts the character’s initiative score.

Charisma (Ch): Charisma is a character’s social magnetism and grace. A character’s charisma score determines their starting rapport in any given social situation.

Willpower (Wp): Willpower is a measure of a character’s mental and spiritual well-being. The willpower score dictates how many stress points a character possesses.
>>
Any questions, comments or anything?
>>
Looks interesting
>>
>>48878018
merge intellect and perception. less is better

>>48877942
it's all GM-determined? how do you use attributes in combat/social situations?
>>
Looks like a weird d20 game with other mechanics jammed in there at first glance.
>>
>>48877790
>It's not about expeditions from The Pale into the wild and heathen Irish interior
Dropped

memes aside, could be neat
>>
File: 1460344515519.png (272KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1460344515519.png
272KB, 1000x1000px
>>48877942
Wow, these mechanics are an archaic clusterfuck.

Are the only games you've ever played D&D 3.5, Shadowrun 4e, and GURPS 4e?

2/10, would not play.
>>
The dice mechanics look cool. Sorta glad it isn't a D20 sort of thing.
>>
>>48881568

Bring it up with the designer
>>
>>48881568
Those aren't terrible games to compare it to
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.