[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obscure scifi weaponry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 36

File: LED Gun.jpg (115KB, 811x494px) Image search: [Google]
LED Gun.jpg
115KB, 811x494px
Everyone does lasers and plasma, but where is the really creative futuristic weapons? Sound cannons, magnetic field and radiation blasters, etc
Pic is a rapid strobe light that gives people seizures
>>
>radiation blasters

They were called Ray Guns and everyone lost interest in them when lasers turned out to be a disappointment
>>
>>48861166
I thought Ray-guns were supposed to be particle weapons. As an extension of stuff like the Teleforce.
>>
Size modification, weaponized.

Need to capture someone? Whole lot easier if they're tiny.

Need them dead? Tiny enough they can't breathe in air molecules. Make them big enough, same effect, also they crush their own installation with their corpse.
>>
>>48861239
a poorly made shrink ray that crushes you into goop ala ant man
>>
>>48861066
Well >40k has sound cannons and radiation blasters, Necrons probably have something magnetic somewhere.
>>
>>48861066
>sound cannons
weren't sonic weapons one of the main types of weapon in xcom: ttd? they were like the t2 weapon iirc
sonic weaponry's always been pretty interesting to me, although you'd have to do some superscience stuff to have it make much sense
>>
>>48861066
Trigger discipline so had it's not even close.
>>
>>48862122
It's an LED searchlight.
>>
>>48862122
It's literally a massive flashlight, anon.
>>
>>48862122
Who's to say he's not firing it?
>>
File: electrolaser.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
electrolaser.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>An electrolaser is a type of electroshock weapon that is also a directed-energy weapon. It uses lasers to form an electrically conductive laser-induced plasma channel (LIPC). A fraction of a second later, a powerful electric current is sent down this plasma channel and delivered to the target, thus functioning overall as a large-scale, high energy, long-distance version of the Taser electroshock gun.

>A laser-induced plasma channel (LIPC) is formed by the following process:

>-A laser emits a laser beam into the air.
>-The laser beam rapidly heats and ionizes surrounding gases to form plasma.
>-The plasma forms an electrically conductive plasma channel.

>Because a laser-induced plasma channel relies on ionization, gas must exist between the electrolaser weapon and its target. If a laser-beam is intense enough, its electromagnetic field is strong enough to rip electrons off of air molecules, or whatever gas happens to be in between, creating plasma.
>>
The Cancer Gun:

Fires nothing but bursts of gamma radiation. Not particularly effective, but the weapon of choice for assholes.
>>
>>48862226
actually a gamma laser would revolutionize the world
>>
File: SonicTank - rumblejungle.jpg (240KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SonicTank - rumblejungle.jpg
240KB, 1280x1024px
>>
File: SonicTank - rumblejungle2.jpg (223KB, 1000x910px) Image search: [Google]
SonicTank - rumblejungle2.jpg
223KB, 1000x910px
>>
>>48862226
Pretty sure that concentrated gamma radiation would be a very effective weapon, particularly in a futuristic setting with even heavier electronics reliance.

The cancer/etc gun would be a concentrated X-Ray gun.

I think that futuristic crowd control is not touched upon very often. Stuff like what's being experimented with in Israel right now - large microwave "cannons" or dishes and the like are fucking cool.
>>
File: sonic-tank.jpg (17KB, 182x110px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-tank.jpg
17KB, 182x110px
>>
>>48862234
No, you see, it's not a laser. It fires a tiny clump of Cobalt 60 which breaks apart and turns into dust on contact with someone.
>>
File: DaftCog - Party Engine.png (381KB, 900x679px) Image search: [Google]
DaftCog - Party Engine.png
381KB, 900x679px
>>
How effective would a high-powered microwave weapon be?
>>
True Inertia field gun, temporarily locks you spatially at a fixed point. Enjoy seeing your foe get pulped by the momentum of Earth, or left behind and pulled out of the atmosphere.
>>
>>48862122
But the trigger is way back by his shoulder.
>>
Weak Ray: Causes cell death from flavor change in quarks
Strong Ray: Causes immense explosions
Gravity Ray: Drags you and the target towards each other
>>
If it can blow out an oil well fire it would work on rioters and light vehicles...
>>
>>48862299

It exists, Raytheon built it as a crowd control device. Apparently being in it's range makes it feel like your skin is on fire, causing an overwhelming urge to flee.
>>
>>48861218
Ray guns are particle weapons.
But so are Flash Lights and Lasers too.
>>
>>48862299
Minimally effective as a damaging weapon, effective at crowd control though. Passes through clothing and most plastics, gasses, and a number of other materials, penetrates only a very small distance into flesh or anything with water in it, heats up materials with some metal content in them, and induces a current in most solid metal. People cant stand in front of such things without experiencing great pain, but even at very high power it doesn't do much more than cause some burns. The burns though are on the surface and you are actually unlikely to cause someone fatal damage before they just fall over from the pain.
>>
>>48861239
They had that on Farscape once.
>>
>>48862382
Most of what I remember of that episode was the redhead complaining about all the ways it was impossible, after having been shrunk. Girl had issues, though thinking about that phrase, it applies to all the female characters in the show, and some of the men.
>>
>>48862380
Sounds like it would be perfect for destroying electronics on a large scale.
>>
>>48862325
>>48862380
Also, the Active Denial System's most notable problem was that it didn't work in rain or fog.
>>
>>48862326

Ray guns fire mesons or ferminons, lazers are bosons.
>>
>>48862406
>some of the men

all of the men.

ftfy

Also it was impossible for all the reasons that she pointed out. Rigel pointed out that this was by far not the weirdest thing he had seen and after a while you just have to roll with this shit and stop worrying about whether the thing you were experiencing was impossible or not despite it happening.

The long term crew of Moia by that point had quite a high threshold of what the considered normal.
>>
>>48862412
Not really, with the penetration being so terrible it's really easy to shield against. Particularly in that a wet t-shirt or some fog, or a dude with a spraybottle can give 100% protection from the microwaves. If you want large scale electronics destruction you want x-rays, also able to induce a current in metals, but also penetrates into structures and gives no fucks about water.
>>48862437
I just wouldn't personally say "Girl had issues" in reference to D'Argo. But like 99% of the cast, yea girl had issues.
>>
>>48862314
I rate 2/5 Thunderbirds
>>
File: Screenshot_20160818-115411.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160818-115411.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>48862189
The Mechanicum did it!
>>
Pentagon bought 100 DroneDefenders to protect US bases from ISIS scout drones. It jams the radio signal and GPS links used to control a civilian drone. Doesn't work on military grade UAVs, however. For controlling those, you need a more elaborate setup, like the one Iran used to capture that one Predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Zvpx9fFsM
>>
Rods from god. Kinetic kill vehicles.

I love that shit.
>>
>>48861066
>strobe light
>scifi
At this point you just set your smart glasses to filter those flashes.
>>
>>48862542
The old mass driver principle is still kind of cool, like anything sci-fi- once we figure out a cheap, powerful alternative form of energy storage a whole lot of stuff becomes possible
>>
In Deus Ex, the "plasma" guns are actually just shooting superheated magnetic plastic.
>>
>>48861066
Personally I really like the idea of weaponizing whatever you are using for ftl. Like an Alcubierre bubble could actually be a really devastating weapon even at sublight speeds. As it expands space through a material the chemical bonds could be stretched faster than the material can handle causing them to break apart, while the end of the bubble contracts space compressing the material. That is to say nothing of an ftl bubble traveling through a material producing an incredible amount of hawking radiation
>>
>>48862619
There was a book back in the 90's call The Killing Star, which had Relativistic Kill missile-drone things, don't remember who wrote it though.
>>
>>48862610
>In Deus Ex, the "plasma" guns are actually just shooting some matter than has been turned into a plasma
Que?
>>
>>48862638

Google says Charles. R. Pellegrino and George Zebrowski. Thanks for the read recommendation, my dude.
>>
File: RA2TTCA.jpg (38KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
RA2TTCA.jpg
38KB, 600x446px
>>48861066
Not truly futuristic but definitely something that should have been in this thread.
>>
File: p3_peltier_element_insideview.gif (23KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
p3_peltier_element_insideview.gif
23KB, 400x270px
>>48862602

Energy storage is only half the problem (and the most easily solvable). The problem is materials, specifically in transferring that stored energy into usable electrical power. Peltier elements (devices that can transfer heat to electricity) have about 10% efficiency at best. This is probably the biggest problem facing "technology" as a whole, as it puts a low cap on solid-state power devices (such as batteries, or RTGs).

For example: most diesel-electric ("hybrid") engines (such as in power plants, ships, trains) operate at about 15-20% efficiency. Over two-thirds of it's produced power is waste heat. Being able to double that would have enormous repercussions on transport and power systems. Getting up to 90% would alone "solve" global warming as more than half of all engines would become redundant.
>>
>>48862647

superheated magnetic plastic is not a "plasma" in the scientific sense. Plasmas are ionized gases.
>>
File: vibroblade mandalorian0010.jpg (28KB, 377x600px) Image search: [Google]
vibroblade mandalorian0010.jpg
28KB, 377x600px
>>48862112
You are correct, xcom:tftd has sonic weapons as the tier 3 weapon type. However they were technically just reskins of plasma weapons. Tier 2 weapons were particle acceleration weapons.

The super science sci-fi theory for sonic weapons was that every atom that exists has some constant vibration. Sonic weapons were supposed to be designed in a way that they are (magically) capable of influencing this vibration which causes atoms to separate their connections from each other and thus damage/destroy solid matter.

This is the same principal theory behind vibro weapons, handheld cutting weapons that have some way of resonating in the frequency that destabilizes the bond between atoms and weakening them severely so that the weapon is capable of cutting even solid material that is normally would be impossible to be cut by it.

But as far as I know according to present day science this is not possible.
>>
>>48862619
The Kzinti Lesson: Any drive powerful enough to get you somewhere interesting is powerful enough to be an effective weapon.

This is kinda why I hated the whole ground war plot of the movie Avatar. If they wanted the blue monkeys dead they could have just gone back up into their ship and turned the engines on. The gamma rays from an antimatter driven spaceship would increase Pandora's entropic curve rapidly into a useful mining colony.
>>
>>48861066
If force fields are a thing you can weaponize those. Make an effector "cannon" that tears apart enemy soldiers and material.
Teleporters and portals also allow you to be creative. Teleport crew or air off of the enemy ship to capture it later. Send the enemy a virus. Or a bengal tiger.
>>
>>48862610
It's an exotic plastic used as solid ammo. It holds magnetic doping and is ionized into plasma in the firing chamber.
>>
File: Red-Alert-3-girls cover.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Red-Alert-3-girls cover.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>48862663
>tfw we will NEVER have another red alert game ;.;
Even after they inserted a heavy dose of weeaboo into it to make sure it gets as batshit crazy as one can get.
>>
>>48862687
>superheated magnetic plastic is not a "plasma" in the scientific sense. Plasmas are ionized gases.

So, what happens when you take plastic (a solid) and heat it?

It becomes a liquid?

Now heat it more. What do you get?

A gas, you say?

Continue to heat it until its electrons fall off.

It is now plasma.
>>
>>48862730
>Teleporters and portals also allow you to be creative. Teleport crew or air off of the enemy ship to capture it later. Send the enemy a virus. Or a bengal tiger.

Any civ that has teleport tech or spells either can also shield from it, or no longer experiences conventional warfare. Eg, a personal forcefield or ship with a shield was immune to those shenanigans in ST, for the sake of the plot.
>>
>>48862712
>This is kinda why I hated the whole ground war plot of the movie Avatar. If they wanted the blue monkeys dead they could have just gone back up into their ship and turned the engines on.

Do you have any idea how fucking expensive and resource-wasting it would be to fry the surface of the planet with your spaceship's antimatter exhaust? It's not like turning a jetplane, it's a fucking spaceship that wasn't designed to be maneuvered that way and that costs tens of billions to operate. They produce the antimatter for the flight back home on the planet. They can't just waste antimatter for something like that.

Also with that move they would have destroyed everything they still had on the planet. The entire base and all the factories and processing plants.
>>
>>48862680
Fuel cell technology is poised to do just that for a lot of industries, even homes. Solid oxide fuel cells are too bulky to be used on light vehicles, but could easily be fit into ships and buildings, and they operate on MUCH higher efficiencies than any combustion engine by converting chemical energy directly into electric power.

And no, they don't just use hydrogen either, fuel cells can use anything from propane to diesel to cow farts.
>>
>>48862712
Wrecking the biosphere would not be as profitable as just dropping some heat resistant materials on them from orbit on the alien population centers. The chemicals and various compounds found in the native plants, animals, and microbes could be worth a fortune in their own right. Someone in that company knows this and that's why they have biologist there, and certainly why they actually bothered and managed to develop the alien clones.

However as they have no issue getting things to and from the planet, a ground assault is completely retarded. But personally if I was a higher up in that company I would have had some people develop some biological weapons to wipe out the the natives to be released should they prove problematic. At worst then I'm facing some far more minor backlash because we could spin the disease research in a number of ways, and it's unlikely that anyone would ever be able to prove what we did. And they totally had the power to do that, they mixed human and alien dna to make alien bodies for remote controlling a biological weapon would be way easier than that.
>>
>>48862763
Worth it. Frankly if I was them and my ground attack didn't work, as I was leaving I'd just turn the exhaust toward the planet and give the race traitor and his monkey girlfriend a fatal case of instant cancer.
>>
>>48862730
Teleporters can do much more than that, teleporting can literally fuck everything, I mean you are directly raping timespace itself, the very foundation of reality as we know it, to perform teleportation.
>>
>>48862782
Wouldn't have worked. The planet itself is a giant collective consciousness that has the ability to influence lifeforms. Worst case the planetmind would reprogramm our bio weapon and use it against us.
>>
>>48862786
You know that spaceships like that have precisely calculated trajectories in order to reach their destintion while traveling at a relevant fraction of c, right?
You can't just change the position to hit them with your antimatter engines and then change course.
>>
File: 141.jpg (201KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
201KB, 706x1000px
Mono wire spool launcher mounts
Bendy lasers
You can do a ton with a generic mass accelerator with fun ammo types, from guided HESH to nuke pellets
Gravity guns actually using the full capabilities of being a gravity effecting device
Memetic weaponry
Mini-missiles and mini explosive drones, imagine a swarm of thousands of bug sized drones flooding down a street at you flying into cracks and crevices in your armour and exploding
Extreme rapid fire weaponry eg. stacked ammunition guns. Really under-represented in sci fi desu, you wouldnt even need to use stacked ammo when you have advanced enough material science if you want to achieve tens of thousands of RPM
>>
>>48862802
That's not how that works anon, they have nerves that connect everything together, that doesn't mean the planet is directing the evolution of microbes on the planet let alone an alien made virus, and if it is that's even more retarded than the ground assault. Also no one knew about any of that until literally the same trip as everything went wrong.
>>
Laser weapons that actually function realistically
>>
>>48862712
That is hardly movie worthy material.
>>
>>48862817
In the movie the planetmind tapped into the female scientist while she was in her human body and established a connection between her and the mind. That means it can do things with/to alien organisms.
>>
>>48862820
Honestly you could say that for pretty much everything. Very rarely does sci-fi ever portray any weapons realistically.
>>
File: BattlingSeizureRobots.jpg (11KB, 482x276px) Image search: [Google]
BattlingSeizureRobots.jpg
11KB, 482x276px
>a gun used by the Japanese military that gives you seizures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzTpjh-NsQ
>>
File: lich.jpg (41KB, 517x409px) Image search: [Google]
lich.jpg
41KB, 517x409px
>>48862812
>Memetic weaponry
What's it gonna do, make me bored enough to die?
>>
>>48862846
Reminds me of Real Genius. Script had to be changed a bit when someone realized they were being a bit too clear about how to make a beam hot enough to do something
>>
>>48862835
It doesn't mean it would know how to do it to a virus as that's still totally different than something without a nervous system, let alone something that amounts to a vehicle for some dna segments and some proteins. Besides, it's not my point that it would work anyway, it was my point that it would have been a better plan, that the people at that company would have had every expectation of it working.
>>
>>48862122
>trigger disciple people
>>
>>48862712
I mean come on. What did you expect the army dude to do? Say "let's board the spaceship and kill them with our exhaust"?
He had hundreds of men at his disposal with machine guns and mechs and a fleet of combat helicopters. Of course he thought that could do the job 10 times over. I wouldn't even call it hubris. If your enemey were a tribe of 100 Indians with bows and arrows you would take a handful Apache helicopters. You wouldn't consider dropping a nuke on them or antimatter exhaust.
>>
>>48862852
Memetic harzards are a top tier plot hook for sci-fi settings my dude
>>
>>48862886
wear it like a haaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
>>
>>48862886
Someone's been reading too much Transhuman Space
>>
Pheromone sensing landmines. Good for interspecies warfare.
>>
>>48862852
You take that back. http://suffadv.wikidot.com/bigtech-memes
>>
>>48862907
That was what it was originally used for, but now their main customer base is farmers that need EXTENSIVE varmint protection, and the occasional teenager that rigs it to blow up around cats in heat.
>>
>>48862928
I can dig it
>>
>>48862812
>imagine a swarm of thousands of bug sized drones flooding down a street at you flying into cracks and crevices in your armour and exploding
This strikes me as very cost inefficient. The amount of explosive you'd be able to fit in an insect small enough to fit into someone's armor gaps would be almost nothing, especially considering the fact you still have to fit a small powerplant/battery and a mode of flight into the bot.

It sounds like you'd just wind up with a bunch of firecrackers going off against your fatigues, which wouldn't normally take people out of a fight.

Honestly, I'd envision something like this for fucking up sensitive hardware as opposed to armored infantry.

It also sounds like a good riot suppression tool.
>>
>>48861066
The Grav weapons from 40K are pretty nifty. Also the stranger stuff in the Mass Effect series like the Chakram Launcher.
>>
>>48862939
Its sci-fi anon, nothing in this thread says it can't be a high end setting. They would be excellent for taking out less advanced factions soldiers.

You are correct in general though, if you don't have some crazy powerful explosive mixture or just say fuck it and use mini-nukes or antimatter it won't be much use against contemporaries.
>>
>>48862763
Just take a little bit of antimatter and detonate it at the right altitude.
>>
>>48862811
Yeah you can. Course corrections ARE a thing.
>>
>>48863044
Doing course corrections with antimatter engines running would be an enormous waste even if the correction is just by a few degrees.
>>
>>48862812
>Mini-missiles and mini explosive drones, imagine a swarm of thousands of bug sized drones flooding down a street at you flying into cracks and crevices in your armour and exploding
Wouldn't it be easier for them to just deliver lethal toxins after they breached your armor? Like you know... the way REAL insects do it.
>>
Weaponized time travel.
A weapon that shunts the target so far into the future that it no longer counts as a threat.
>>
>>48862894

I fucking loved that comic, and I wish Broodhollow would update more reliably.
>>
>>48861066
no ones gonna make the joke about this being the first lasgun mankind produced, the one all lasguns in the 40k universe are based on?
>>
>>48861239
Size changing is the most bullshit science ever.
It's simply not possible outside of comic book's handwave "sciene = magic with a different name".
>>
>>48863559
>Size changing is the most bullshit science ever.

Never had an erection? Changes the size of your penor you virgin faggot.
>>
>>48862252
>>48862263
>Things will get loud now!
>>
>>48861066
Why does it have to look like a fucking gun? Why does it have tactical rails, a stock and grips?! I need to know more, there must be a reason that's not stupid.
>>
>>48862303
Look at his index finger. LOOK.
It's pretty obvious it's made to be gripped like that.
>>
a gun what makes molecules break apart
>>
>>48863750
So you can put a laser pointer and scope on it, to make it more accurate.
>>
>>48863750
I don't know how but I read tactical rails as runic rails and now I want tacticool dwarves or something
>>
Is it possible to artificially create thunderclouds? Like releasing something in the higher atmosphere or something?
>>
>>48861066
A robot with autoaim and extendo fists used to knock out criminals rather than kill them
>>
>>48861066
A lava grenade
Augmentation
Cell degrader
>>
>>48863855
Scientists have tried, but so far I think they've only ever managed to encourage the formation of normal rain clouds.

They drop particulate matter into the atmosphere to encourage nucleation, but otherwise there's not a lot one can do to directly affect the weather.
>>
>>48861239
>Tiny enough they can't breathe in air molecules.
Wouldn't it be a lot more cost-effective to just shoot them in the face at that point?
>>
>>48862871

I think anon is more pointing out that after the natives are kicking you off the planet once the gung-ho option failed, there's really no reason NOT to drop rocks or fry 'em with hard rads.
>>
>>48861066
Directed radio weaponry. In a futuristic battlefield, disabling your opponent's electronics can be devastating.
>>
>>48861218
"ray gun" is just any directed energy weapon.
>>
I always like to drop this little guy wherever it's even moderately appropriate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

Not sci-fi, but more and more important as the battlefield gets more techy.
>>
Fucking SEIZURE GUNS
They are the greatest thing in the world
>>
>>48863750
Ergonomics and places for attachments?
>>
>>48861321
Pretty sure Necron gauss rifles are some kind of magnetic bullshit. At least they were in their original codex.
>>
Stimulation gun
- stimulates or shuts down parts of the brain. Shuts down anger for crowd control, brocas area if you dont want any annoying interruptions during propaganda hour, or the whole frontal lobe

Soap gun
- sprays high-slip, water soluble surfactant. Almost frictionless, but grabs easily until it cures. Cannot fire gun if cannot hold gun. Turns enemy recoil into a dangerous propellant

Antimatter grenade
- banned by the UN. Rumors of that Eagle scout making one in his garage are exaggerated
>>
>>48862503

I remember hearing that the F-22 Raptor's radar system also had the potential to jam/damage more vulnerable radar systems.
>>
>>48865902
>Antimatter grenade
>- banned by the UN. Rumors of that Eagle scout making one in his garage are exaggerated
>Rumors of that Eagle scout making one in his garage are exaggerated
wew i remember that!
>>
>>48862712
My headcanon is that the next batch of humans who come dont try to play nice at all and just do exactly that.
>>
>>48862812
I was thinking of a stupid weapon, a resonance device that finds the perfect vibration wave and causes resonance. Something that can even make humans undergo mechanical resonance and cause their bone structure to collapse or something because of vibration.
>>
>>48861066
Strobe lights only give seizures to people with epilepsy idiot
>>
Local Time stop bubble launcher, i.e. you shoot enemy at head and head is ripped from Timespace for 5 min, making any movement lethal
>>
>>48865267
>Ergonomics

It's a glorified flashlight!

>and places for attachments?

For what?! Flashlight so you can see in the dark? Laser pointer so you can see where you're pointing it? Sights so you can be more precise on where you're pointing it?
>>
File: x26c_hero_image.jpg (149KB, 958x476px) Image search: [Google]
x26c_hero_image.jpg
149KB, 958x476px
>>48863750
Why do they make tasers look like pistols? Because guns are designed the way they are because they're convenient shapes for things you want to point at other things.
Speaking of tasers, electrolasers are a cool way to bring them into the spacefuture.
>>
>>48862252
>>48862263
>"Power up the Bass Cannon!"
>>
>>48862285

>Dune II
>Mah Sardaukar
>>
>>48867172
>Why do they make tasers look like pistols?

Because you shoot people with them?

I'm perfectly capable of pointing a flashlight at someone without needing pistol grips, a stock and tactical rails on it. Especially when it's a searchlight, which should illuminate large enough area that precision pointing is not necessary.
>>
>>48863087
>Exploding
>Lethal toxins
Why
not
both
anon?
>>
Our erstwhile power brokers have left but fear not! I'll give it a go. Post your trauma and I'll give you a power that will make it all worthwhile. Hopefully. I'm new at this.
>>
>>48862252
holy shit this image is so old. i remember seeing it the day i came across /b/ maybe in 2006 0r 2007?
>>
>>48867105
Bayonet for close less-than-lethal combat.
>>
File: Toxic Memes.png (1MB, 777x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Toxic Memes.png
1MB, 777x1025px
>>48862904
Nonsense.
>>
File: 1470327457991.jpg (41KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1470327457991.jpg
41KB, 500x336px
Something that I think gets skated over is a hypothetical from the Star Trek universe: an actual Photon Torpedo.

Canonically, photon torpedoes are just warp-powered antimatter missiles, which actually are a great idea, but crazy expensive.

What I suggest instead is more like a laser: Hypothetically have a way to store photons in a structure or force-field. Build up a large charge of them. Release all at once.

When a single photon strikes matter, it interacts with the electron causing it to move outward in its orbit. Usually, photons are re-emitted by the electron, which moves back where it belongs. In this case, so many photons would be striking the matter that the electrons would leave their parent atoms completely and the matter turns to plasma.

Additional effects: Electrons surge through all conductive material nearby, temporarily giving the entire ship (if conductive) a HUGE negative electric charge. This is usually bad for electronics. The plasma which is created would be positively charged, and would move away slightly slower than the electrons. This would be a large explosion, probably inducing fusion. Even if fusion was not induced by high energy plasma spreading out at insane speed from the point of impact, the plasma would, as it cools, strip the electrons away from otherwise stable molecules, disrupting them and creating rare and possibly unstable compounds.
Finally, the entire ship would balance out, any positively charged plasma would adhere to the negatively charged ship, possibly spreading evenly over the surface.
>>
>>48862869
>ND people
>>
>>48861066
The problem is that Scifi is rooted in science. Everything we know about science limits the ways we can do things. There are only so many forms of energy and how to transfer that energy from one source to another. Even when you try really hard not to be the givens when you apply science to it you realize what you made is just a variation of one of them.
>>
>>48862422
Perfect for use in the middle east where it's a sandy hellscape with no water ever.
>>
>>48862761
You know, it's weird. People go to such extreme lengths to justify things like this. Why not just say, "we figured out a better way to compress gasses, and combined it with something that can convert gas into a plasma?"

I mean, there's a substance that actually exists that creates the green-white coloration of most video game and movie plasmas. It's even fairly common in many different fields. Carbon tetrachloride, aka carbon-tet(cleaning and janitorial), Halon-104(firefighting), or Refrigerant 10(HVACR/Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning and Refrigeration). Create a compressed, gaseous version of it, use it as ammo, and state that outright in your lore.
>>
>>48862852
Oh no, Its far worse than that. Memetic weaponry is, technologically speaking, somewhere between the club and the bow and arrow in required development level. The concept is to use ideas to make other people dislike the person/people you dislike, and thereby gain allies or at least create additional enemies for your enemy. Printing, Radio/Film and the Internet have all been revolutions in how best to wield memetic weapons, but the modern employment of memetic weapons, although more carfuly planned in nature, and with hugely faster delivery systems, remains still less altered in essence than virtually any other weapon still in common usage.
>>
>>48875294
Television, right? You're talking about television in that last line.
>>
>>48861066
> still has rails on it
Sometimes, I just hate the world, you know?
>>
cryogun

fires a torrent of a powerful coolant slush, that can reduce the temperature of what it hits up to -200 celsius within 5 seconds

can be fired with specialized water sprayer to create thick ice barriers
>>
>>48862252
WITNESS ME
>>
>>48875368
Those are probably just for flashlight or laser sight. Though, mounting any kind of light on what is basically an over-glorified flashlight just seems redundant.
>>
The Tasp. A device that can activate remote the pleasure center of the brain and whose effects can be addictive.
>>
>>48862831
IIRC there was an episode of Andromeda where the crew came across a pre commonwealth human ship that was just a massive fusion torch.
>>
>>48875329
He's talking about the entirety of social interaction.

Memetic weaponry is less of a "weapon" and more of a school of training such as learning the arts of diplomacy
>>
>Subliminal messaging that triggers anger/fear/other primal emotion.

The enemy can't fight if he's on the ground in fetal position crying his eyes out and shaking like a leaf
>>
I came up with an idea for a sort of razor wire that's filled with a fluid which retains kinetic energy for a relatively long time. A generator inside of either a holster or bolo weights at the ends of the wire vibrates it at an extreme frequency. The weapon can either be thrown or used as a whip.

>>48862928
What about pheromone PRODUCING landmines, which instead cause cats (or any other species) to go into heat?

>>48864020
It's worth noting that the process was invented by Kurt Vonnegut's brother.
>>
>>48865438
Necron gauss weapons are molecular disassemblers.
>>
>>48861239
"I got him!" "Got who? Where is the target?" "Oh.....oh shit......SOMEONE GET A VACUUM I HAD IT ON TOO HIGH"
>>
>>48868522
Because exploding means the drones are destroyed and cannot be used again. If they can do their job without destroying themselves they are suddenly much more efficient. If you just want to blow up someone why waste your super high tech micro robots when you can just shoot a missile at them? Why use the most expensive way to achieve the same thing you can do astronomically cheaper with technology that is easily available.

Remember that Sci-fi includes the word science meaning it requires you to be at least somewhat logical and thoughtful lat what you do. I know this might sound absurd for many who just like to use "rule of cool" for everything. But just because you have great ideas for amazing things done with magic-super-science doesn't mean you should be completely ignorant about it.

If you simply must have things explode then said drones could carry those explosives and place them at select points of vulnerability and then leave before the detonation.
>>
File: Kzintilesson.jpg (276KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Kzintilesson.jpg
276KB, 1600x1200px
>>48861066
I'm a big fan of:
>those nuclear shaped charges that work as a one-shot particle cannon.
>The bowel disruptor
>nycoll-dyson solar lasers
>space propulsion exhaust
>self-aware flechette swarm
>the sniper shotgun
>flashlight with can focus so well to work as a laser
>>
File: Weapon_gluonpack.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Weapon_gluonpack.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
How much energy would you release by messing with the Gluon field?
>>
>>48878715
A lot. Protons and neutrons would decay essentially turning matter into energy in the area affected. Think antimatter explosion.
>>
>>48863586
>Change the size of your dick
>Change the size of the blood vessels in your dick
Have fun never getting it up
>>
>>48862680
"Solve" because it isn't happening in the first place.
>>
>>48868287
You're just a retard who doesn't understand the basic ergonomics of a weapon.
>>
File: strangelets.jpg (44KB, 233x240px) Image search: [Google]
strangelets.jpg
44KB, 233x240px
Exotic Matter.
>>
>>48878970
Exotic how?
>>
>>48874511
>"Fire! Now they'll feel their skin burning! Muhahaha!"

>on the other side of the battlefield

>"Hey, Ahmed, it's like that hot summer a few years back all over again, yeah?"
>"Yup, Mustafa, but not half as hot as that summer ten years ago."
>"Or when we making marshmallows at the burning oil rig. But enough talk, let's shoot some yankees."
>>
>>48879065

Not made of normal atoms. Like atom-like structure with electrons replaced by another particle or without normal protons: Like one formed by up, down, and strange quarks. Instead of the normal quark composition.
>>
>>48862382
They also had that rebel who magnetized herself to a bulkhead...this was followed by Pilot laughing maniacally and launching the bulkhead into space.
>>
>>48862380
It sounds like it would instantly, permanently blind someone if their eyes are exposed
>>
MASERs. They're lasers, only instead of light, it's microwaves.

Also, I know there's bolters, but proper gyrojets seriously don't get enough credit.
>>
>>48879114
The raytheon device is just a huge microwave. It quite literally starts boiling the water on/in your skin. Thanks to the radiation not being able to reach much beyond the skin it's "safe"
>>
>>48879159
What kind of properties does it have that can be weaponized?
>>
>>48879257
fuck yeah, Gyrojets. Aren't the closest things currently related to gyrojets those DARPA experimental guided Anti-Machine Rifle bullets? if i remember right they have grooves and a propellant charge in the bullet itself so it can change course somewhat.
>>
>>48879352

For example. If the proprieties of strangelets are as suspected it would act like this:

One strangelet hits an atomic nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.
>>
>>48879314
the joke was they live in a desert so scorching, it's still peanuts to them
>>
>>48879388
Which then melts into photons.

Basically just picture the entire planet running like ice cream on a hot day and disappearing.
>>
>>48863149
It is mostly used on ancient evils shunted to the present by the same method.
>>
>>48861066
I love it every time I read about a large, mastermind superpower giving incredible, high-tech weapons to political pawns in destabilized, warring states in order to fuel political monogamy or otherwise advance a personal agenda.

>America giving guns to Afghanistan and Syria
>Russia selling missiles to ISIS
>French handing rifles and cannons to Americans and Natives
>American tanks in Israel borders

I love it! I love it so much! What's the name of said phenomenon? Proxy war? Undocumented military aid? Warlordship? I love it all. Truly this is the future of advanced warfare-- cold hard money.
>>
>>48863149
Didn't one of the 2000AD comic lines have something like this? I think the only difference was that when it sent people through the place they were in wasn't actually occupying the same physical space and they froze to death.
>>
>>48875294
Are you implying what I think you're implying? That all modern media and "entertainment" are nothing but indoctrination? That free will has become a joke faced with the marketing industry?
>>
>>48879507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97eRqd0MUc
>>
>>48861239

That's not Sci Fi
>>
>>48879352

You can even make Cold Fusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon-catalyzed_fusion
>>
>>48879421
Reminds me of the MD device from Ender's Game.
Anyone remember that glorious piece of impossible tech?
>>
>>48875384
only one problem with this, you would need large tanks of material to use with this. It is extremely possible. basically an air pump hooked up to liquid nitrogen tanks. It would be devistating against crowds and light materials. for large materials, you would need enough to actually do something to it.
>Ice barriers would be pointless and nearly impossible to do without a crazy amount of over engineering. go back to overwatch Mei.
>>
>>48879633
I love how they even describe it to him. Just this big, ugly machine, and here are the two electrodes sticking out if it, and they form a field.
>>
Shame that masers are so inefficient. They look cool.
>>
>>48879689
Favorite part of the book was the parallels to WW2 and Pearl Harbor, with taking a counterattack to the enemy's home and fucking ruining it with technology they can't even understand.
>>
Casaba Howitzers are pretty great. They're also something we could make already if we really needed to.

I'm surprised we don't see them more in HFY threads.
>>
>>48862279
You should never take example from the Israelis
>>
>>48862748
The new Generals game seems to have buried the franchise. What a shame.
>>
>>48862610
God fucking damn it, now i have to reinstall deus ex you fuck, and im not done with replaying HR diractors cut, i hate you
>>
>>48862226
"It will be a silent spring!"
>>
Excuse the background, but back when I was deep into pony autism, I often read fanfictions and such.
All terrible in hindsight, but one of the better written ones was a magicless world, and they had a weapons platform they called the Lance, which basically used selective teleportation and a rangefinder to lock a two cm circle on a target, and then relocated all of the matter in the resulting cylinder from the muzzle of the gun to the target a meter back.
If pony autism could think up a weapon like that, why the fuck is everyone still using lasers in sci-fi?
>>
>>48861066
you know what i want as a sci-fi wepon? Wepenizing virueses, i want a gun that fires a fucking ebola virus into you that will kill you within 2hours
>>
>>48879882
Why stop at just Ebola, why not add other horrible viruses as well? Like Necrotising Fascistis.
>>
>In the year 2035, memetic weaponery has evolved
>the future of warfare, is now...
>Weaponized Pepes
>>
>>48879904
>>Weaponized Pepes
Mother of god.
>>
>>48879900
ebola was just the first thing that came to mind, in truth id like to shoot T4 bacteriofags, i know they dont do anything, but then they look like fucking nanobots, i just think "shooting" microbes into people is something we shoold think about
>>
>>48879904
VETO, /pol/ and bernie sanders will take over the world and then we'd have World war meme
>>
>>48879932
DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!
>>
>>48879904
>soldiers lay down their weapons, fall to the ground and start crying
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY
CRISPR Cancerguns/Revertionguns?

Cancerguns use a combination of Cas9 and proteins that break DNA to explosively tumourise people to death. Revertionguns use Cas9 to revert someone to a "prehistoric" human...naturally in hostile enviroments this will kill them instantly.
>>
>>48879944
LONG LIVE FIRST CHARIMAN BERNIE THE DANK, DOWN WITH THE PEPE EMPIRE
>>
>>48879879
>why the fuck is everyone still using lasers in sci-fi?
They're actually just using normal guns with crap glued on now.
>>
>>48880015
Goddamn Inf-Lation.
>>
>>48880015
*coughElysiumcough*
Even though the coilgun AK was effective as all hell, it looked so stupid.
>>
File: elysium-new-gif-guns1.gif (804KB, 360x154px) Image search: [Google]
elysium-new-gif-guns1.gif
804KB, 360x154px
Chemrail.
>>
>>48880061
Anything involving magnetic or gaussian acceleration is an A+ in my books.
>>
>>48880061

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZE29cOgvc
>>
>>48880061

As long as you don't stock them on a space station, where a fully-automatic armour-piercing railgun in unlocked/nonbiometric lockers would be an astoundingly retarded choice for basic armament.
>>
>>48880476
i suppose it depends on what you are actually accelerating. concievably you could use a sort of stun round of low weight and high shatter chance made of a material confirmed to be softer than the exterior materials, it wouldn't remove the capability of a breach but would definitely lower than chance from 'utterly retarded' to 'last chance boarding defence'
>>
>>48861239
On Doctor Who, the Master had a Tissue Compression Eliminator that shrank people down to doll size and killed them.
>>
>>48878951
>flashlight
>a weapon

Now who's the retard?
>>
File: 1324849332553.jpg (86KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1324849332553.jpg
86KB, 407x405px
>>48880606
>>
>>48880606
Maybe he is IGfag.
>>
>>48877245
Working by electromagnetism.
>>
>>48880606
it would be stupidly effective in night situations or cave flushing, strobing bright light when your eyes are adjusted to the dark completely blinds you, and if that gun is bright like i've seen some lights to be think the flash component of a flashbang, on full auto.
>>
>>48880565
You aren't just worried about breaching the exterior hull, there would naturally be a great deal of equipment and systems on any station that you really don't want damaged. Some of those things could actually be far more difficult to repair, and more dangerous than a few small holes to the void. Damaging a heatpump for instance can reduce your station's ability to function, release toxic chemicals, require replacing sensitive equipment, and could cause other equipment to overheat and break causing a cascade of failures.
>>
>>48880620
>lasguns
>causing 30 wounds
>ever
>>
>>48880632
You're right, I didn't quite think of critical system components. are we assuming the station has artificial gravity or is it zero G? Being magnetically accelerated recoil is negligible even in a no-grav environment.
>>
>>48880628
Would think that even if it's not shining right in your face, the bright light would fuck with your eyes and the eyes of your mates as well.
>>
>>48875384
Cryogun sounds awesome.
Then you remember that heat transfer is a thing, and so is phase changing.
Even hitting a human would be not very effective, because each layer of skin and material needs to go trough a phase change to complete transfer of the cold.

Which means by the point you can get High Power Cryo, you might as well just use the generations Armor Piercing Tank Weapons.
Or Future Space Napalm
>>
>>48862761
>Turning a plastic into a gas
Good luck without having more waste than plasma in you gun
>>
>>48880751
what if it sucks heat instead of shooting coolant?
>>
>>48863586
It's getting inflated with blood you zogger, that's why it gets bigger
>>
>>48880654
if 30 of them fire at once it can
>>
>>48879596
Thank god for cold fusion!

K-tsssh.
>>
>>48875384
mei pls go
>>
>>48862711
I always found that odd about TFTD. Their "gauss" weapons are specifically described in the game's lore as being particle acceleration weapons, but I'm used to thinking of gauss weapons as being electromagnetic slugthrowers. Is there something I'm missing there, or did the devs just technobabble something?
>>
>>48881360
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_(unit)

Gauss rifles, coil guns, railguns, etc. use magnetism to propel a projectile. Necron Gauss weapons use esoteric beams to fuck with the magnetism in your atoms, pulling them apart.
>>
>>48863750
Training. A man who has fired a rifle his whole life will not require significant training to use it.
>>
>>48881383
Huh. Learn something new every day. Thank you, kind anon.
>>
>>48861066
the hypometric weapons from the revelation space series are pretty baller
>just deletes spheres of matter from enemy ships
>except occasionally it deletes you
>>
>>48863463
kris straub is a wonderful man
>>
>>48878715
the gluon gun was the scariest fucking thing in that game desu
>>
>>48864797
Correct me if i'm wrong, but does that thing create an EMP without using a nuke?
>>
>"We could, of course, release thousands upon thousands of self - powered crawling-along-the-ground. lengths of titanium wire eighteen inches long with a diameter of .0005 centimeters (that is to say, invisible) which, scenting an enemy, climb up his trouser leg and wrap themselves around his neck. We have developed those. They are within our capabilities. We could, of course, release in the arena of the upper air our new improved pufferfish toxin which precipitates an identity crisis. No special technical problems there. That is almost laughably easy. We could, of course, place up to two million maggots in their rice within twenty-four hours. The maggots are ready, massed in secret staging areas in Alabama. We have hypodermic darts capable of piebalding the enemy's pigmentation. We have rots, blights, and rusts capable of attacking his alphabet. Those are dandies. We ,have a hut-shrinking chemical which penetrates the fibers of the bamboo, causing it, the hut, to strangle its occupants. This operates only after 10 P.m., when people are sleeping. Their mathematics are at the mercy of a suppurating surd we have invented. We have a family of fishes trained to attack their fishes. We have the deadly testicle-destroying telegram. The cable companies are cooperating. We have a green substance that,- well, I'd. rather not talk about. We have a secret word that, if pronounced, produces multiple fractures in all living things in an area the size of four football fields."

http://www.jessamyn.com/barth/report.html
>>
>>48880684

This is why it's directed forwards, as not to shine directly into the eyes of the wielder or his teammates, but instead to be directed directly into the eyes of the enemy.

Light that illuminates cave walls and nonreflective surfaces is reflected back at a fraction of the lumens (a good portion of that light being absorbed by the surfaces and not reflected backwards), allowing the flashlight wielder and team to see without being blinded.
>>
>>48862655
>Pellegrino

If you like hard sci-fi this guy is your man. "Flying to Valhalla" is one of my top ten sci-fi novels ever.
>>
>>48861066
The Spacetime Shredder.
After locking on a target, it constantly compresses and expands Spacetime around it. Being wracked by immense forces, the target is ripped apart in a shower of metallic fragments/flesh and bone
>>48882285
wat
>>
>>48863522

No because the weapon in OP actually works.
>>
Ontological weapon.A weapon that simply causes a target to cease to exist.

Unfortunately, it's not a weapon that can see great deployment. The processing power required to comprehend a target in totality in order to erase them means it takes a while, and the weapons platform has to be both aware and able to clearly see the target in order to deny their existence.

The most crippling limitation is the places in which it can be used. An ontological weapon can only be deployed in select dimensions with space/time rules that allow the use of an ontological weapon. As such, this weapon only becomes useful in pocket dimensions where a target's totality is much more comprehensible, their existence starting at the point of entry to the pocket dimension rather than their constituent matter and energy having a history far beyond that in the material universe, making them much easier to fully comprehend and thus eliminate.
>>
It is possible to "cut" space by severing the entanglements between adjacent regions of space. Where you to "cut" all the way "around" a target, it would effectively cease to exist since the region of spacetime it occupies would no long be accessible from the region you occupy. Theoretically we could do this right now, but practically we don't have nearly enough energy and the logistics of building a giant machine around your target before "unrealing" him make it impossible. Given some future super-science, however, such a weapon could be unstoppable. It doesn't care if you have a shield, you and your shield are both Elsewhere now.
>>
>>48861066
>Pic is a rapid strobe light that gives people seizures
It's an LED searchlight, though.
>>
Just fucking superheat all liquids inside of a person, good weapon
>>
>>48882802

It sounds like the kind of weapon that would weigh several cubic tons and require concrete foundations.

In the same vein, time devices being used as weapons.

>erase someone from all of reality, past, future and present.
>the potential to erase someone from all parallel worlds, their actions never having existed, and their choices never being made.
>>
>>48882996

pffft what are you a Neanderthal?

>superfreeze all the liquids inside a person, killing them instantly.
>>
>>48882996
>>48883083
This sounds painful.
>>
>>48883083
What, you don't want a medium rare meal after fighting the dirty aliens? It's not like the eggheads don't have enough corpses.
>>
>>48863880
F.I.S.T.O. IS READY TO PLEASE

PLEASE ASSUME THE POSITION
>>
File: Colonel Chenkov strikes again.png (210KB, 699x432px) Image search: [Google]
Colonel Chenkov strikes again.png
210KB, 699x432px
>>48880654
>Not using Orders to give your maxed-out squad Rending
>>
>>48879879
I remember that one; it was an XCOM crossover, right?
That one was actually pretty good, up until the sequel where a mary-sue and time-travel shenanigans showed up.
>>
>>48883076

Now, unless you can account for the totality of their existence, who is to say another, perhaps more qualified, individual would take their place?

And consider: in deleting a person, how would we define a "person?" Are they the constituent matter they make up at their conception, or their endstate? If we delete their constituent material components, pieces with a much longer history than their composition as a "person," we alter the universe in ways we might not be able to conceive of. Counter-intuitively, the ability to destroy something in its totality becomes the least useful means of elimination, as the destroyer would be required to calculate the alternative course of history in order to prevent the altering of its own history.

Really it's why having it be in a pocket dimension would be easier. You only need account for the constituent matter's history since its entrance into the realm that's under your control. A much simpler and easier means of erasing history without threat to the device's own destruction, as the device has existed long before that matter's history in this realm has begun.
>>
>>48882996
>>48883083

I suppose it depends on the method of destruction you want.

>Superheat
Denatures pretty much all proteins within the body

>Superfreeze
Causes all water to expand, rupturing all cellular membranes but leaving most proteins intact
>>
>>48883808
I mean, it gets you killed either way don't it
>>
>>48883197
>rending helps causing wounds
>>
>>48881496
>using a flashlight requires training

In what socialist country?
>>
>>48861066
My grandfather worked on sonic weaponry in the US during his service. They blew a moose into meat chunks during a test fire on accident. Sadly, the energy requirement was too high and the equipment too impractical for it to be considered a success.
>>
File: 1331730093476.jpg (352KB, 1896x1387px) Image search: [Google]
1331730093476.jpg
352KB, 1896x1387px
Oh boy, unconventional weapons!

Sonic weaponry has already been covered by several posters, but another staple weapon of the Therians from AT-43 is nanomunitions. Sure, it could be construed as "hurr durr, bullets with it's magic, ain't gotta explain shit". In AT-43, Therian nanomunition weapons are somewhat smart, to increase accuracy, and when the munitions come to rest they reconfigure into a pointed sphere to further damage whatever they've struck.

>>48880068
Seeing your post, gaussian weaponry is the primary weapon of the Red Blok of AT-43. From SMGs all the way up to rapid-fire anti-tank weaponry, they utilize gauss weapons at every scale to fight their wars.
>>
>>48862252
>>48862263
THIS SILENCE OFFENDS SLAANESH
>>
>>48863559
Ironically futurama of all things had the most scientifically accurate shrinkage technology

Remember the professor got mad at his crew for wasting his 'tiny atoms'
>>
File: 1452087865090.jpg (55KB, 342x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452087865090.jpg
55KB, 342x400px
>>48878678
>those nuclear shaped charges that work as a one-shot particle cannon.

That, my friend, is called the Casaba Howitzer. It kicks ass.
>>
>>48878933
Nice one!
>>
>>48880476
>>48880632
Have you seen the size of the Space Station?
>>
Stars Without Number has a few doozies, although most of them are fancy pretech gadgets.
>Jump Gun: A gun with a tiny warp portal at the muzzle that teleports the bullet and shoots it out through another portal, allowing you to shoot around cover or from weird angles Revolver Ocelot-style
>Biocatalytic induction gun (BIG): Shoots a blob of man-eating nanobots that turns the target into a meat-metal amoeba that stabs nearby baddies with meatmetal tentacles
>Symbiote gun: Pet crystalline beetle that powers an internal biolaser with the user's blood
>Hydra grenade: Sorta-living grenade that, when "detonated", stabs anyone nearby with sharp meatmetal tentacles for about 30 seconds
Also, "meatmetal" is officially a word, referring to a combination of flesh and nanomachines son.
>>
>microlasers
>nanoscale laser pods released in clouds around ships
>contains a mass sensor and small laser
>if heated up, shoots the laser away from the mass
>billions of these disperse incoming energy weapons
>even kinetic energy weapons; the first layer of microlasers impacts the kill vehicle and charges the next layer
>can't completely protect a ship but it's better than nothing
>>
>>48884938
In that case, no, but you still don't want people shooting weapons that can wreck shit inside your base. It would be fine if the lockers they were in were locked, but they clearly aren't.
>>
File: IMG_2456.jpg (20KB, 220x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2456.jpg
20KB, 220x230px
>>48885297
Laser reactive armor?
>>
>>48874865
Because plasma inherently wants to disperse and we've already tested firing it. Also, light atoms are not useful as plasma weapons. You want heavy atoms.
>>
>>48861066
>>
>>48884970
You seem to have forgotten the most ubiquitous of all pretech weaponry (essentially the pretech equivalent of the average soldier's assault rifle): the Shear Rifle. It destroys things with gravity. The text is... actually kind of unclear as for how. On the one hand, it describes violent gravitic distortions, which would make you think that it rips things to pieces. On the other hand, it's mentioned that it cuts things across shear planes (hence the name), which seems very... clean, for something that's supposed to shred thing's gravity.
>>
>>48884581
That's not a casaba howitzer round. That's an Orion drive charge. Change the "propellant" to steel and make the plate thinner. Then it's a casaba howitzer.
>>
>>48885631
Honestly, there isn't much of a difference, just like which side you point at the enemy. I would argue the plate being thinner is the only actually difference because it doesn't really matter if it's steel or propellant for the howitzer. Basically anything that doesn't come with an incredibly high resistance to heat will be a propellant in this situation.
>>
>>48876370
Until you get kicked in the throat for using it.
>>
>>48883919

Assuming each weapon is just a practical as the other (practically the same cost in maintenance and ammunition, same size, fire rate, damage, whatever) the only real distinguishing factor after that is flavor.

Well, and primary enemies. If freezing or burning works better on one type of opponent, or if one has practicality in secondary effects, then they might be more favorable in different situations assuming they're equally just as effective on baseline human targets.

Say the superfreeze gun can freeze an enemy with acidic blood, while the superheat gun would turn that into vapor, which is a hazard. Or the superheat gun is more effective on ice monsters, where the superfreeze gun has much less to no effect.
>>
>>48885584
Oh yeah, that thing. Kinda boring, all things considered. I'd take a biocatalytic induction gun over a shear rifle any day. It's not as practical, but it sure as hell makes a statement.
>>
>>48863149
Even "better", it sends the user into the future, to a point when the target is already dead.
>>
>>48885837
>because it doesn't really matter if it's steel or propellant for the howitzer.

The differences in density, X-ray interaction, and possibly the boiling point and plasma behaviour as well will most likely have a significant impact on the range of the weapon.
>>
>>48874503
>Scifi is rooted in science
>mfw I have space wizards and laser melee weapons in my setting (not lightsaber-style but more like the edge of the battleaxe is made of neon that cuts through stuff)
>>
File: 1471239741597.png (66KB, 238x185px) Image search: [Google]
1471239741597.png
66KB, 238x185px
>>48879904
>world war three ends with someone dropping the rarest pepe on earth to destroy an entire country
>>
>>48882862
Isn't that just an alcubierre drive? Closing off a region of space-time?
>>
>>48882862
Speaking of shields, a rip in spacetime the shape of a shield would be unbreakable. Form a sphere with a atom sized hole would be completely impossible to get into ore see into
>>
>>48882862
You're going to need several sources for that, Anon.
>>
A gun that shoots bees.

Cyborg bees.
>>
>>48861066
Something that launches smoke rings, except the "smoke" is hot, corrosive or poisonous.
>>
>>48883680
That's the one.
I only ever really sperged over the tech discussions, because the possibilities with XCOM's Elerium circuits are nearly infinite.
>>
Now everybody, why hasn't anyone thought up a gun that can select all the quanta of a certain element or compound in the body, and then make it change phases through some sort of quantum shenanigans?
It would selectively entangle particles to match the ones selected in your body, say 'Carbon', as an example, and then would excite them all to the point of a phase change, literally sublimating all the Carbon in your body.
>>
Nanoweapons. Well, not in the "grey goo" sense, but still like it.

They're fired by projectile and the bots inside are armed by firing so they won't go rogue in the chamber, but they are incapable of self-replication and just chew through whatever they can (including adjacent nanobots) until they break down and/or tear themselves apart.

The bullets themselves are mostly solid; the bots within stack together neatly while inactive, kept in mini chambers so that accidental activation of one chamber doesn't ruin the whole round. The bullet's housing provides shock protection and prevents tampering, also designed to fragment on impact to further spread the bots. The bots are activated by disposable, semi-organic signaling in the casing, as well as an electrolyte soup, activated on firing and impact, to provide them with a power source.The bots themselves can continue to operate until they are destroyed by their target's own immune system, feeding off the electrolytes in their blood, albeit much more slowly, leading to nanobot sickness which causes small amounts of internal bleeding, or blood clots and hemorrhages in more serious cases. Debilitating but not always fatal.

These projectiles, while murder on soft tissues, are less effective is they can't penetrate. Shrapnel is only an issue if inhaled or if it contacts eyes or sensitive parts of the body. Most gas masks and thick clothing can stop shrapnel, though, and has a callousing effect on skin, but is otherwise much less effective. Hard targets suffer pretty much the same damage as with solid rounds, save for their paint jobs, which gain a distinctive and somewhat disturbing organic patterning when peppered with nanotechnological weapons, a spiderweb-like fractal pattern revealing the unpainted surface underneath, free of corrosion and dirt.
>>
>>48882802
>Target deployed, weapon charged for initial test, sir. Awaiting your authorization.
>Fire.
>...
>Sir, there wasn't anything there.
>Who forgot to set up a target decoy?!
>...
>Target deployed, weapon charged for initial test, sir. Awaiting your authorization.
>Fire.
>>
>>48862939
What about a swarm of flying caulking guns? They fly up, squirt pliable explosive into seams/joints, minutes later the swarm flies off and remote detonates.
>>
>>48887700

Probably better when autonomously deployed on a reliable platform. It searches for targets and eliminates them. It needs not do much more or even hold memory of their elimination, simply their elimination is its goal.

Though naturally it should have an extensive ability to recognize friendly/neutral targets and quantify/recognize the consequences of deletion of any specific entity. Hence "reliable," something that is programmed so well that it does not allow for unintended consequences such as causal loops.

Still, pretty terrifying the potentiality for casual horror in the weaponization of theoretical and philosophical concepts.
>>
>>48887761
The point was that such a weapon may never be completed/deployed because the repercussions of unexisting its target would also effect the testing staff.

If the test target is instantly and entirely removed from the timeline the test staff and weapon inhabits, the weapon will not have fired without having a target, and thus the test would not happen.

If that is somehow wrong, and the weapon's firing event does persist after the fact, then the test staff would assume it to be broken, as they forgot to place a target, and there would be no evidence of a successful firing, as the evidence would have been unexisted.
>>
>>48862314
Imagine if they filled it with pepper spray instead of water.
>>
>>48887922

You would think they would be aware of the repercussions. Testing of the theory in mathematical models would probably indicate failure until someone plugs in the idea that causality itself would change as a result of the target's constituent matter having been erased.

As such, the weapon would need to be deployed in a timeline with an internally consistent logic to it; an alternative dimension where time is essentially locked out, so that an object can be "unexisted" without change to an extensive universal history (the start of such history being the target's entry into said alternative dimension).

Observation into this would be possible if viewed from outside, or if viewed from another dimension inside/adjacent to the revising dimension because it has a different internally consistent timeline, meaning memory of the previous history can be retained and recorded because it is outside the history that is being revised.
>>
>>48865201
>non lethal
Im sure you will only be partially paralyzed its okay.
>>
>>48888054
It'll just give you a little arrhythmia.
>>
>>48886681
That sounds so cool.
>>
My favorite sci-fi weapons are ones that are functionally the same as any regular earth gun, but work completely different. After all, two different worlds are unlikely to invent invent the same gunpowder and the same guns.
>>
>>48861066
Can you use that to rocket jump?
>>
>>48889304
Of course, anon. Just shove it up your ass first.
>>
File: It works on tv.png (107KB, 1210x1016px) Image search: [Google]
It works on tv.png
107KB, 1210x1016px
>Weaponized Grey Goo / Nanomachines
>Targeted Biowarfare
>Zoological Warfare - using animals and such to kill people
>>
File: k7hjcfcwrygz1dmr5log.jpg (74KB, 978x530px) Image search: [Google]
k7hjcfcwrygz1dmr5log.jpg
74KB, 978x530px
...a locomotive-size missile that would travel at near-treetop level at three times the speed of sound, tossing out hydrogen bombs as it roared overhead. Pluto’s designers calculated that its shock wave alone might kill people on the ground. Then there was the problem of fallout. In addition to gamma and neutron radiation from the unshielded reactor, Pluto’s nuclear ramjet would spew fission fragments out in its exhaust as it flew by. (One enterprising weaponeer had a plan to turn an obvious peace-time liability into a wartime asset: he suggested flying the radioactive rocket back and forth over the Soviet Union after it had dropped its bombs.)
>>
>>48879813
>>48884581
Gato please leave
>>
>>48889848
I once read in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader that other plans for Pluto didn't even have warheads; the fallout and shock waves it would shit out would be powerful enough on their own.
>>
>>48880751
Unless you're trying to breach a space station. I can see pointing the exhaust of your ship and boiling over the station or messing up their life support and freezing everything out to be a decent tactic.
>>
>>48863149
The peace war by Vinge?
>>
>>48889848
>"B-but why would you build such a weapon?!"
>"Fuck Russia."
>>
>>48889966
who?
>>
>>48862852

Pontypool motherfucker. Pontypool. Pontypool pontypool pontypool...

>>48889848

Being a 1950/60's US nuclear scientist must have been the Best. Thing. Ever.

"We want to make a giant nuclear ramjet cruise missile that will operate on the bleeding edge of material science, kill everything near it, and drop a pile of nukes on Russia. I mean this thing will be the stuff of nightmares. This will be hard to describe because people cannot grasp how such a massively reckless and indiscriminate weapon can exist. "

"Here's millions of dollars and a testing lab. Just send a telegram if you need more money"
>>
>>48894042
>The Pluto Project
>The Orion Battle Ship
>The Super Fun Russian Gun
Science in the 50's was the tits.
>>
>>48882996
I always liked the idea of weaponizing superheated gases. Kind of like what happened in Herculaneum near Vesuvius, with people's heads exploding.
>>
>>48895219
Plasma then?
>>
>>48861066
Sound guns don't work.

Basically here is why with a topical video. TL;DR anything powerful enough create a sound wave that can kill would be more efficient by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgZp2s3VXrw
>>
>>48889848

The only conceivable way it could have been a more douchebag weapon would be if it wore a polo shirt with a popped collar and humblebragged about its crossfit bullshit.
>>
>>48862301
Underrated and stolen
>>
File: Pluto_034.jpg (37KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
Pluto_034.jpg
37KB, 800x566px
>>48889848
Another Pluto.
30 were made.
>>
>>48894042
>Being a 1950/60's US nuclear scientist must have been the Best. Thing. Ever.

Until you fuck up a mix or slip a screwdriver and irradiate yourself to death.
>>
>>48898313
Especially before they started using robots to assemble everything.
>>
>>48898313
>Maintenance procedures required that the main central control rod be manually withdrawn a few inches to reconnect it to its drive mechanism. At 9:01 p.m., this rod was suddenly withdrawn too far, causing SL-1 to go prompt critical instantly. In four milliseconds, the heat generated by the resulting enormous power surge caused water surrounding the core to begin to explosively vaporize. The water vapor caused a pressure wave to strike the top of the reactor vessel, causing water and steam to spray from the top of the vessel. This extreme form of water hammer propelled control rods, shield plugs, and the entire reactor vessel upwards. A later investigation concluded that the 26,000-pound (12,000 kg) vessel had jumped 9 feet 1 inch (2.77 m) and the upper control rod drive mechanisms had struck the ceiling of the reactor building prior to settling back into its original location. The spray of water and steam knocked two operators onto the floor, killing one and severely injuring another. One of the shield plugs on top of the reactor vessel impaled the third man through his groin and exited his shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.
1950s nuclear scientists, no sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>48895604
Maybe it just plays concentrated Disco and the opponents actually just kill themselves...
>>
Wormhole generators on starships linked to magma stations on Earth generate wormholes which fire out streams of lava

Remote placement of forcefields to create high pressure hoses into which superheated metal is ejected

Explosives which are generated from the creation of mini universes which expand and then contract in a split second
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.