[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 29

File: 1468041864650.jpg (209KB, 727x819px) Image search: [Google]
1468041864650.jpg
209KB, 727x819px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old thread >>48847428
>>
File: JuSYzHG.jpg (308KB, 1800x902px) Image search: [Google]
JuSYzHG.jpg
308KB, 1800x902px
Going to be running a group of 4 new players and a somewhat-used-to-the-system player through LMoP. At the end when they find the map and it states to develop the adventure from there, what should I do? I'm not the most knowledgeable of the Realms and I don't want them going off to someplace like Thay or Ten-Towns and then I'd have to do a fuck-ton of research to make sure it's decently played up...
>>
Anybody have a link to all the /tg/ character sheets for 5E?
>>
>>48861100
Either buy another adventures or make stuff up.
There are enough "empty space" in FG setting to let you put in your own town, dungeon and stuff.
>>
>>48861100
Does your players know anything about the Realms? No? Then I don't see the problem
>>
File: Phandalin.jpg (119KB, 650x452px) Image search: [Google]
Phandalin.jpg
119KB, 650x452px
>>48861205
That's an issue because 1 player is a huge FR novel fan, the others know jack and shit.

Wait! I know! I'm going to use the map to act as a secret teleport scroll to remove the players from the Realms! Ohohoho! This is perfect...
>>
>DM seems to be depressed more and more every session
>Nobody else in the group seems to see it

How would you handle your DM seeming to be at the edge of it all and nobody else seeing it?
>>
If you want to Dexbarian, Is there any reason to take more than one level of barb?
>>
>>48861241
Segway into CoS, perhaps? You'd need to beef up the adventure since they're starting at 5 instead of 3.
>>
>>48861259
Nah, I'm thinking of making it a custom adventure where they will need to acquire the knowledge and equipment to shift back into the Realms since even their regular plane shift spells will not work.
>>
>>48861247
Hookers and blow. Nothing pulls you out of the doldrums like no strings pussy. Then get someone else to DM for a few sessions and start alternating after that. Maybe call the guy to hang out to do something besides D&D.
>>
What consistent methods exist for someone to improve their initiative?
>Alert Feat (+5)
>Barbarian 7 Feral Instinct (Advantage)
>Bard Jack of All Trades (+ Half Proficiency)
>Swashbuckler 3 Rakish Audacity (+ Cha Mod)
>>
>>48861299
So... You throw them into Dark Sun? If memory serves, it's super hard to Plane Shift off there, if only because a spell that powerful would probably drain half a mile of life from the area.
>>
So are there any programs like the 4E Insider character creator for 5E?

I'm gonna move my friends over to it and they all love that for creating characters and it's a million times easier than going through the books and paper route with each of them.
>>
>>48861345
Nothing official as far as I know. There might be some third part stuff, but what is out there is pretty crappy. Your best best is probably just an editable and saveable PDF, which might be in the Mega.
>>
>>48861345
not really. There is a wonky generator on EnWorld. Its called Forged Anvil. There was a phone app but it got removed because it violated copyright,
>>
>>48861344
No, mostly because I know nothing. Probably will make a setting to throw them at the old modules (I'm thinking Against the Slavelords and then GDQ...)
>>
Are there any notable ways to break the game as a Wizard other than anything involving Wish? I don't mean any huge damage crap but actual game breaking tricks.
>>
What parts of a character sheet do you type out /5eg/?
>>
>>48861445
Spell list, maybe literal copy+pasting class features for stuff like Battlemaster Fighter.

Otherwise I give a brief description to refresh myself, and a foot-note on the page the thing I'm referring to is located in the PHB, or DMG if it's a magic item.
>>
>>48861445
Everything that isn't going to ever change under any reasonably foreseeable circumstances.
>>
what's the best way to get more spells for my wizard aside from levelling up?

trade with other wizards? roll to search rooms for scrolls? just looking for suggestions
>>
>>48861384
Necromancy. Assuming you can get past the social ramifications. You might have to google the exact steps, but there was a way to get enough simultaneous minions to use mob rules in combat, and at that point they'd curb stomp anything at your current challenge level.
>>
>>48861475
I'm a newfag, can you spell out what most of those would be?
>>
On the scale of cheese and absolute cancer, how bad is my L4 Bear Barbarian's build?

STR 19
CON 17
DEX 11 (so AC 13 without armor)
52 HP
Glaive +2 as a weapon
Polearm Master
Great Weapon Master

My first character in DnD, did I do good?
>>
>>48861478
Fighting other Wizards, sleeping the Rogue a couple of gold to steal it and/or asking nicely if they want to trade spells.
>>
>>48861492
Do you have a cleric in your party to give you +2 to AC? Or do you at least have a heavily armored companion to keep you from getting ripped apart?
>>
>>48861491
Name, Race, Class Abilities, Skills, Biography, Languages. It's easy to add new things to the Sheet but I doubt you will ever LOSE any of those.
>>
>>48861513
Yeah I sit behind a Dwarf Fighter with 21 AC in doorways and use my glaive over him.
>>
>>48861493
*Slipping

>>48861492
Wear Armor and kiss you DM's dick for the +2 Glaive.
>>
>>48861478
Trade with other wizards
Copy every scroll you find
Ask your GM about magic academies or mentors to apprentice under
Independent research (if your GM allows it)
Studying/Deconstructing magic items
Mind-reading abilities (if your GM allows it) on other casters.
>>
>>48861541
Hmm Never thought about mind reading. You would most likely need them tied up or something for the whole duration of copying it.
>>
>>48861530
>Dwarf Fighter with 21 AC
I hope he just plants himself there with his shield held out, because that's how I imagine this.
>>
>>48861105
Nah m8, theyre gone. Forever. No ones saved them. Nor out them in other links
>>
Which is a better Dex based combatant? Barb 1/Fighter X, or Barb 1/Rogue X?
>>
My DM raised the ability score max from 20 to 30 and let us roll a d20 for our stats, so currently my Monk has 23 Dex and 16 Wis. Next time I get an ability score, should I raise my Dex or my Wis?
>>
>>48861241
The novels are usually shite portrayals of what the Realms are like in the suppliments and RPG products anyway; they're always about a band of armed fuckwits or near-demigods farting around doing shit that sometimes is about saving the world but largely revolves around their personal friends and enemies even if gets to that scale, so generally nothing of real importance happens in most books.
A great example; in over fifteen novels written over a decade and change despite Drizzt being the setting's most famous novel protagonist, precisely three things have ever happened in them that actually legitimately mattered in the setting as a whole and was noticed by the rest of the world,
The rest of the "important" things happening only really matter to Drizzt and Friends.

The big things that happen in the Realms tend to be described in a few (usually bad) novels, but actually are editorially mandated changes and thus if the player is a novel reader the important details of basically everything will sort of escape him.
>>
>>48861910
I guess I should mention that it's a fairly hard campaign; my characters died twice.
>>
>>48861256

1d12 HD/lvl, Danger Sense, no level penalty to ASI and Extra Attack, Fast Movement, Feral Instinct, Brutal Critical, Relentless Rage, and Primal Champion. Plus your choice of the 4 primal paths depending on what exactly you're building (solo DPS, tank, scout, team DPS.)

The question is: does that fabulous prize pack equal up to 19 levels of something else? I can't tell you, that you'll have to decide for yourself. But it doesn't exactly suck, either.
>>
CoS has a +2 shield and a +2 plate

A paladin with sunsword and those two is a insane powerhouse

26 AC and 2d8+7 vs undead with. Chuck on icon of ravenloft with permanent protection from fiends and undead and you have an invincible character
>>
Anyone else love playing DnD but hate the general playerbase it attracts?

There's always 1 or 2 "that guy"s any time i play. Like people who play uncooperative characters and the justify it by saying "thats jst what my character would do hee hee :^)"

Like, i dont mind if you want to play an evil or chaotic character, but there's a difference between tasteful evil/clever chaos and being a jerkass
>>
>>48862094
Yeah I get you.

My best friend is playing a character that's not very good for the party, but he RPs it as the party are the only people capable of helping him so he's willing to put aside differences except when it comes to murdering mages, he loves it.
>>
whats the highest possible AC you can get for a fighter?>>48862046

I plan on making the boss a donald trump rip-off who calls himself "THE WALL" and tanks hits all day, he has to be tough enough to survive 1v3
>>
>>48862094 >>48862114
This is usually fixed by playing among friends, especially of the long-term sort.
If you keep playing with random assholes then in all likelihood they will in fact be random assholes; the vast majority of the human race is something you get can along with peaceably relatively easily (coworkers and such) but not necessarily someone you would actually call friend at any point.
>>
>>48862214
If you have a +3 full plate and +3 shield that's 26 right there. I guess you could throw in a ring/cloak of protection and get even higher.
>>
>>48862214
I don't know exactly but an Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger most likely.

18(21) Armor (Magic Armor)
+2(+5) Shield (Magic Armor)
+ 5 from Bladesinging
+1 Defence FIghting Style
+5 as a Reaction with Shield

That's 37 but you could most likely get higher if you tried.
>>
>>48862328
OH wait that doesn't work because of the heavy armor and Bladesinging
>>
if a person is selfish but not malicious, what alignment would you describe them as?

ex: doesnt really care about the quests/adventures, is just trying to better himself + achieve his own goals. won't backstab other party members but won't go out of his way to help them either. kind of a less-than-heroic go along guy until he's powerful enough to make it on his own, where he'll break away from the party and go live his own life.

is this a true neutral? i first thought he'd be neutral good, but then i figured if he's not out to be a hero or help people unless it helps himself in the process he's not really 'good'
>>
>>48862214
Assuming only Fighter 20, probably an EK Fighter.

18 (Plate Armor) being +3 (so 21)
+2 from off-hand Shield (23), +3 Magic Item enchantment (26)
Cloak of Protection (+1, attunement, 27)
Ring of Protection (+1, attunement, 28)
+1 from Defensive Fighting Style (29)
Defender (+3 weapon from DMG, attunement, lets you apply the +3 bonus to AC instead of attack and damage rolls, 32)
and a situational +5 from using Shield spell as a reaction (37)
>>
>>48862475
not necessarily a pure fighter, you can take anything to maximize toughness

>>48862328
bladesinger? i wish i had the SCAG

>>48862305
magical armour sounds good, but it should destruct so the party cant take absorb armor mans ability

thanks that'll help
maybe i can stack all 3 of them at once, but give them only daggers, and they will just wait out the battle
>>
>>48862512
everything is in the trove.
>>
>>48862457
Ng. Doing good acts because youre payed doesnt make them not good. Youre not resprting to theft or murder to get your goals, even if you likely could/wouldnt care.
>>
>>48862512
>equip enemy with magical items
>Waah I am a baby so it will self destruct

Just give it natural armour. FYI no player has fun missing every round from the DMs super cool boss with 30AC
>>
>>48861329
That and a few magical items allow advantage on initiative rolls, a weapon of warning is the one I can think of.
>>
>>48862556
he was suppsosed to parody donald trump, and be named the wall
im trying to see if my party is smart enough to use the environment, or trying to talk to him
>>
>>48862578
Give him normal armor but resistance to everything except Radiant.
>>
>>48862578
Why? Are you trying to be funny? Are you one of those wits who believe they are the first to make a Trump joke, and who expect a laugh every time?

Yes, we get it, you are a bluepill, change the fucking record.
>>
>>48862457
I've always thought of evil at its core is selfishness, so he could be evil. True neutral would be you could be convinced to help any side, or at least see every sides pros and cons.

He seems like neutral evil in my opinion.
>>
File: no one can stop the wall.jpg (14KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
no one can stop the wall.jpg
14KB, 228x221px
>>48862598
its also a reference to this guy
>>48862585
that would double his effective health, that could work
>>
>>48862608
I would give him High Armor with one or two pieces of magic gear, fairly good health, some ability to help his Saving throws and resistance to everything but one damage type. Assuming you want them to feel like they are sitting there trying to hit a very agile piece of rock. Make his damage shit though.
>>
>>48862634
damage is not necessary, he might be supported by his own party, or minions, for real damage
>>
Is Eldritch Knight any good?
What about Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>48862642
define good
>>
>>48862646
Not totally helpless when I'm thrown into combat or social situation.
>>
>>48862639
I would go with archers and give him some sick Opportunity Attack. Of course it could be a death trap.

>>48862642
Arcane Trickster is imo the best Rogue by far.
>>
>>48862650
eldritch knight can be pretty powerful, although the competition is strong, battlemaster has some impressive damage
eldritch knights make great wrestlers by casting spells at people they've grappled
>>
File: Gray ooze.jpg (114KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
Gray ooze.jpg
114KB, 612x816px
Rate my Gray Ooze remake

Because a pile of goo is just so boring
>>
>>48861445
I type out the name, race, class and personality traits. Everything else I fill out by hand, cause it changes
>>
>>48862665
3/10 would make a playable race
>>
File: AttackingTheBBEGTooEarly.jpg (129KB, 543x800px) Image search: [Google]
AttackingTheBBEGTooEarly.jpg
129KB, 543x800px
>>48862608
How would the Wall fight the Sign?
>>
Dumping some homebrews I've been working on the past few weeks. Already had some good input here, would love to hear some more before I tidy these up, make some graphical changes, and throw them on the DMsGuild.

Barbarian Paths
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByXalmSD

> Primalist - Spellcasting variant
> Warboss - Ork inspired
> Dervish - Tazmanian Devil

Bard Colleges
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw

> College of Faith - Divine healing / support
> College of the Phoenix - Martial Support / buffs

Monk Ways
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

> Way of the Beast - Animal styles for better martial options
> Way of the Wukong - Mage Slayer variant
> Way of the Kensai - Sword Wielding sandal wearing weeb samurai

Ranger Archetypes
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_

> Dreadstalker - Inspired by Spirit of the Night MTG cards
> Maverick - Trick shooting ranged option
> Sky Sentinel - Niche fluff centered ranger of the skies

Rogue Archetypes
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

> Revolutionary - Stop the gubment!
> Ruffian - Thug, hooligan, bruiser
> Time Bandit - Prince of Persia
>>
>>48862823
Fucking Silver Age...
>>
So, am I the only one who hates backgrounds as a mechanic?
>>
>>48862853
What's the problem?
>>
>>48862843
silver age is ripe for adventure ideas! the sky is the limit
>>
My party has a meatwall Bearbarian with 80 hp at level 6. He is absurdly difficult to kill, and to top it off another PC is a life domain cleric which means doubly effective heals out the ass. I am having trouble designing any encounter that would challenge the barbarian without straight up one shotting any other party member.

I've tried using banishment/charms but then the barbarian just gets to sit there and do nothing and that's no fun. Any advice?
>>
>>48862957
strike him with wis save spells, or pit him against blinding attacks

dont overcome force with force
>>
>>48862957
what's your goal? what are the party members' goals in the campaign? what kind of campaign is it? are you trying to kill the barbarian?

need more info senpai
>>
>>48861329
there's a minor magic item property called guardian that gives +2
>>
>>48862973
My goal is to have construct encounters in which everyone can participate meaningfully. It's a pretty standard campaign, and I don't have a desire to kill the barbarian in particular
>>
are D&D comics any good ? are there other related comics that are good.. I think Berserk fits in here well...
>>
File: JuryRigging.jpg (77KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
JuryRigging.jpg
77KB, 500x448px
>>48862887
Case in point.
>>
>>48863056
Fell's Five is amazing.
>>
>>48863055
who else is in your party? what are their goals (ie is everybody just playing thru together, what's happened so far)?
>>
>>48862957
DMs have a lot more tools than just HP damage. That barbarian likely has crap saves outside Strength and Constitution at that level. His HP doesn't mean dick if Hold Person lands. Also Dominate Person would likely scare the crap out of the whole party.
>>
>>48862957
If you're insistent on avoiding charms and banish, use wall spells to throw lots of obstacles around the barbarian. The barbarian gets to play around the obstacles and the rest of the party has to deal with the encounter, help the barbarian, or hold off until he gets free.

Also stop laying so many attacks into the barbarian if he's so hard to kill. Use ranged/flying stuff to go at the back line characters.

Alternatively, stop coddling your characters. Throw stuff that can kill the barbarian and make the others use their abilities intelligently to avoid damage. If there's a wizard, he might learn that hypnotic pattern saves his ass and wins the encounter better than fireball does.
>>
>>48862957
Stop worrying about killing the tank, it's a team game. Challenge the *party*. If everyone else falls he's as good as dead anyway.
>>
>>48863099
Half-Elf Ranger, Halfling Bearbarian, Dwarven Life Cleric, halfling rogue, and a tiefling sorcerer. Everyone is level 6, the group seems to have settled on "make money" as their primary motivation.
>>48863166
I've mainly run into this problem since everyone hit level 5 and got more attacks/level 3 spells. Now it's like if he just absorbs 2-3 rounds of focus, the party can dish out enough damage against just about anything to kill it.

I think the biggest problem I'm having is that the party chose to follow the plot hook that involves fighting giants, orcs, and hobgoblins- creatures that lack spells/battlefield control.
>>
>>48863072
To be expected of Dwarven work.
>>
File: segway into CoS.png (470KB, 499x375px) Image search: [Google]
segway into CoS.png
470KB, 499x375px
>>48861259
>>
File: 8uHTzJ0.jpg (368KB, 1736x1474px) Image search: [Google]
8uHTzJ0.jpg
368KB, 1736x1474px
>>48863231
Hobgoblins are pretty smart, aren't they? Why not have them draw the players into more favourable terrain, or use cover for better AC or something? Have a smarter giant unleash a bunch of rolling boulders down hill during a fight to make reaching the enemy more difficult/dangerous.

Have an orc caster I found.
>>
File: 1471289916311.jpg (132KB, 630x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1471289916311.jpg
132KB, 630x1178px
Found pic related in one of the previous threads, and couldn't stop thinking of a character concept for her. Would you allow this at your table?

Worshipper of birds and/or the Phoenix. Human, but mechanically taking the stats / features of aarakocra. Either Fiend Warlock or Draconic Sorcerer, but every feature / ability would be refluffed to worshipping some Bird God or the Phoenix again.

Basically, the only thing that seems questionable to me is the swapping of features for races (bonuses, flying, languages, the whole gamut).
>>
Do you think my four level 6 players could go up against a fighter 1/ Warlock 9
>>
>>48863306
A warlock with a patron Wind Duke sounds neat. Maybe hold off the flight til a 5th level invocation?
>>
I rolled a dungeon via the dungeon creation tools in the DMG. Ended up with

> Located in a Glacier
> Built by Giants
> Worshippers of Air Element
> Purpose Stronghold
> History abandoned by its creators

So my idea to tie it into the current campaign is that the creator was a powerful wizard who sculpted this stronghold out of a cemetery of dead storm giants. Was doing evil experiments, because he's evil which will involve a number of failed simulacrum (and maybe one escaped successful one), Flameskulls, and other mad science wizard stuff.

My question is, what are some good traps or already triggered traps that fit the theme, and how could I populate this for a 3rd level party (barbarian, paladin, warlock, + I might give them a decent CR hireling).
>>
>>48863331
Probably. Especially if you have a caster with counterspells. Unless it has legendary actions, it tends to be pretty easy to kill a single creature.
>>
>>48863331
Find an appropriate CR monster (aka CR6) and take away / give it the abilities and spells you want it to have.
>>
>>48863364
Alright I'll give him some legendary actions
>>
>>48863363
Adding on to this, the entrance is underwater which will require some swimming / freezing water endurance to get to.
>>
>>48861100
Buy or download the 4E NeverWinter Campaign Book. Ignore the 4E stuff, its mostly irrelevant in terms of the book and steal all the amazing amount of setting detail complete with interconnected factions , all the areas laid down in detail, multiple dungeon complexes, multiple BBEG's and a huge sandbox to play around in inside and outside the city.

Thats exactly what I'm doing and we have our first session tonight. Pic is my own network of nodes ( using node based design and the 3 clue rule) to lead the players around the plot.
>>
>>48863435
That node network looks pretty neat.
>>
For 3 or 4 level 3 characters, how much gold should I give them for CR3 missions (like kill the manticore, remove the cultists)?
>>
>>48863492
It literally doesn't matter, it's not like they can spend it on anything.

So just go with what amount such a work should pay to make in universe sense.
>>
>>48863451
Thanks Anon. The idea is that it follows a 3 act structure. Players have hooks that can lead them to any of the top layers which serve as introductions to the setting and factions. The mid tier are all dramatic events that trigger when the players get to that area of the nodes, they create conflict , the players can stop some but not all most likely. The final nodes are all the resolution where the quests end and are resolved. They all then lead to the grand architect of the entire adventure , an Aboleth trying to turn itself into a god, who has engineered the entire sequence of events for its benefit.

There's also tertiary links that hint towards factions being allied secretly and the individual players personal quests. They might slay one of the BBEG's in the first session, or find the ancient dwarven city which is meant to be the culmination of one of the plot threads but fortunately there's enough going on for that to be awesome rather than campaign destroying.
>>
>>48863562
>supplies
>booze
>brothels
>mercenaries
>house and stuff in it
>silvering weapons
>exotic shit from passing-by Folk of Leng trader
>pay the bard to spread a word about them in other places to earn renown
do you even
>>
Shady fellow in town hires your adventurer group to "obtain" an item for him. What is he actually paying you to get for him?
>>
>>48863621
>supplies
>booze
>brothels
>house and stuff in it
>pay the bard to spread a word about them in other places to earn renown
Don't matter if the players spend 10, 100, 1000 or a million gold on it, except for making the boast that "I've spent a million fucking gold on whores".

>mercenaries
In my modern D&D career I have never had the players employ mercenaries ever. They usually seem to prefer being the big damn heroes themselves.

>silvering weapons
Has to be done like, once, if you are really paranoid, or know you'll need it. The number of monsters silver helps against are around 1% of the MM.

>exotic shit from passing-by Folk of Leng trader
The prices for which are up to DM fiat, meaning you can just adjust to the party's funds, or even better, accept non-monetary payment from PCs.

There is really no fucking reason a DM should sweat gold prices, except maybe if he really, really wants to keep full plate out of the player's hands for some reason.
>>
>>48863587
I've been working on my first campaign and that organization system is just the sort of thing I've been looking for. I appreciate the explanation, thanks anon.
>>
>>48863231
Create some orc shamans and hobgoblin clerics then.

Or just set up some archers in places the barbarian can't get to in one turn.
>>
>>48863363
Thoughts on these Traps / scenarios?

One is a long slightly inclined slope of icy floor, kinda difficult to walk up, technically difficult terrain. At the top of the hall is a T junction that goes East / West. At the bottom of the hall is a spiky rock / ice wall. Every 10~15 feet or so are holes in the wall that are basically ice jets that freeze you on a failed Con save. Frozen blocks of ice slide down icy floor, slam into spike wall.

The other is a long hallway that has a Giant Ring at the end of it magically creating a strong gust of wind, and a lever nearby. At the opposite end of the hall is are metal bars, and behind it just a little alcove that has a few stacks of bones / skeletal remains.

Pulling the lever actually casts Gaseous Form on the person who pulled the lever. After 1 minute, the spell fades, but the wind would have pushed your form into the little alcove behind the metal bars.
>>
Does this work?

>19th level Wizard casts Shapechange, turning into a Planetar
>Casts Clone using Planetar flesh
>Upon clone maturity, kill self and transfer to Planetar body
>Have all features of wizard + all features of planetar

The hardest part I can see is maintaining concentration while removing a cubic inch of flesh.
>>
>>48863859
Well, what about buying components for spells?
But I will admit that aside from those cases, money tracking isn't something super important.
>>48863492
Well, I'd say it depends who's paying them. Is it a mercenary/monster hunting guild, or is it a farming town scraping gold together.
>>
>>48863587
How did you make this?
I think something like that would work really well to detail interpersonal relationships.
>>
>>48861241
That's a kind of roundabout way of doing it

You could just make your own setting loosely based off FR and make up whatever shit you want.
>>
>>48863911
I usually think people who make munchkin claims are fags, but you've now justified their continued shitposting for months.
>>
>>48863931
A mining town, troubled by bandits and a dragonborn mountian clan
>>
>>48863911
No, because the flesh would turn back into human flesh when the duration of shapechange ends.
>>
>>48863911
Well, it depends on one simple thing; does the flesh remain transformed once it's removed? And, if it does, does it remain transformed once the spell ends?
>>
>>48863954
maybe it's a plan for his BBEG
>>
>>48864054
DMs don't need to worry about replicating the process exactly like a player would. The BBEG "found a way" that players can't perform with PHB spells.
>>
>>48863938
Honestly I took the node based design structure from a guy called Justin Alexander who runs a website called The Alexandrian.

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach

Justin details the method far better than I could. The basic principle is that for every conclusion you want the players to work out point three clues at it. So even if they miss two they'll find it. You then expand from that and as you can see can design very robust scenarios out of it.
>>
>>48863931
>Well, what about buying components for spells?

That one's a good point, but the only important one I can recall are revival spells.
>>
>>48864089
Forcecage has an expensive component to compensate for how powerful it is but no one on /tg/ plays at that level anyway.
>>
>>48864033
>>48864034
It wouldn't work because Shapechange lasts for an hour and Clone takes an hour to cast. If you make a Sorcerer 3/Wizard 17, you can Extended Shapechange to make it work. You could also turn into an Ancient Brass Dragon, and use its shapechange power to cast Clone from, which is probably the only way to get a Dragon Sorcerer to become a dragon.
>>
>>48862872
They're limiting as hell, not to mention no variety and I hate shoehorning a character into a few bullet points.
>>
File: WizardPreparesForcecage.jpg (91KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
WizardPreparesForcecage.jpg
91KB, 736x736px
>>48864109
That said the component isn't used up by Forcecage so once you have it you can reuse it.
>>
>>48864119
Even then, Clone would make a body that is "a caster shapechanged into a planetar" and once shapechange ends, the clone body isn't a planetar anymore.
>>
File: Custom.png (306KB, 280x436px) Image search: [Google]
Custom.png
306KB, 280x436px
>>48864120
Think you missed this part
>>
>>48864141
I wouldn't want to have the job of meticulously sweeping up an entire vial of ruby dust
>>
>>48864266
Which is why you have unseen servants.
>>
I have a new favorite spell. Leomund's Tiny Hut

We had That Guy at the table who was playing a maximum weaboo SENTAI MONKU so when it came time to pick up the mastermind final boss of the dungeon, and try to talk things out, I raise the hut around us, and for the following ten minutes is just the three of us RP'ing with teamwork inside the hut (cleric with the insight and perception rolls, bard with the charismas) while one of our friend's having fun going hyperactive outside the bubble, trying to signal us to murder him with snowmen, and That Guy is just flipping his shit because he's not allowed to HONORBU DISPRAY or something at us

>I AM SCREAMING

>Nope, not in the hut

>I AM TELLING THEM TO LET ME LEAAAAVE

>nope, you're not in the hut

>the mastermind tells something
>I AM RESPONDING TO WHAT HE SAID WITH MY HONOROBU DISPRAY TAKIDANASHI SHENGUUUUUUUU

nope, you're not in the hut

>I SCREAM TO THEM

>they cant hear you

>mastermind pulls some sort of potion
>MUH SUPERIOR REFLEXES SANTAI

>you can't see this

just a nice lovely little bubble of quietness
>>
>>48861910

Tempted to say Wisdom here so you'll increase your Stunning Strike DC. It's tough because you'll want more dex anyways but I think you should increase your DC, paralyzing an enemy for a turn is huge since they lose their action and your blasters can dex blast without worry of them making the saving throw and your martials can go to town with advantage.
>>
What's the dumbest thing one of your players has tried to claim they get advantage on a roll for?
>>
>>48863906
The first one is pretty bland, but I like the second one a lot. The only issue I could see with it is the ease of escape. A strength check to bend the bars, Polymorph, or a druid's Wild Shape could easily nullify this trap.
>>
>>48864447
Advantage on strength checks just because he was a Barbarian. Be like the Wizard getting advantage to int saves just because he's smart.
>>
I'm writing a campaign from scratch for a group of friends that are all first timers
>>
File: sam.jpg (11KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
11KB, 100x100px
>"Spirit Guardians don't have a spell-shape description, ergo it works like pathfinder where the spell is 2d. Also, creatures taking half-cover are not affected by it."

help
>>
tempted to make a cleric or a paladin to a sex god

What do you think I should look for? Death Domain (Le Petit Mort), Life domain (feritility), trickery (the playbook), Ancients paladin or Archfey warlock (pact of the tome for a kama sutra, or the blade for .. the obvious)

Or should I avoid all of those entirely and go Open Palm monk? I don't see this adventure going all the way to particularly high levels
>>
File: 1464379500075.jpg (21KB, 174x237px) Image search: [Google]
1464379500075.jpg
21KB, 174x237px
>>48861712
>>48861105
Holy shit, I think I actually saved them all. Once I return from work I will see if I can upload them or something. be right back in six hours.
>>
>>48864678
Sir Dick Dong Holy Paladin of Shiallia. The charisma is not just for spellcasting ladies ;)
>>
>>48864678
Life domain, just try to not get creepy about that and talk with yur group beforehand
>>
I'm a 6th level bard who's having a lot of fun but I feel pretty weak, mainly because the rest of the party has a few magic items

any ideas on items I could have as a bard who's trying to be spell focus non combat?
>>
>>48861247
I'd say:
1. Get him involved in activities other than D&D
2. Have someone else be the DM for him, at least for a short adventure. You know psychologists talk wonders about D&D but only from the Player's perspective...being a DM is only suffering.
>>
>>48864678
I'm fond of giving NG paladin dickings.
>>
>>48864741
Not much is going to boost your casting, raise your defenses?
>>
>>48864373
I'm guessing this didn't actually happen at all. It's odd enough to happen, but too contrived and natural-sounding to be some random thing that happened on it's own. Like a comedy routine, really.

That said, much like a comedy routine, it still made me chuckle a bit.
>>
>>48864776
He's from a cutthroat college where the strongest people rise. I was thinking maybe a displacement cloak

It could work rp wise as he doesn't really like to get into fights and it would make him harder to hit?
>>
>>48864801
I dunno, I think the basic event happened but it was all polished and presented humorously. Tweaked the guys lines and such to seem more extreme.
>>
>>48864373
The most impressive thing about this is the part where you managed to make it all up without it sounding plausible at all.
>>
>>48864654
He's quite smart though.
>>
>>48864266
Why did you open the vial? The only requirement for costly material components is to have them, and have a hand to access them.
>>
>>48864830
That's mildly possible, but still puts the entire story in doubt in my opinion.
It's that "bubble of quiet" part that hits the implausible button; IC it would have totally worked, but OOC the player could literally have been the most annoying person in the world and there isn't anything the poster could have done to stop him. In fact when players like that get agitated they tend to get MORE annoying OOC because they hate their weird fantasy thing getting stepped on.
To me the scenario sounds like something the poster thought would be funny (and is actually, I laughed), but realized he didn't actually have someone to use as the guy locked outside the hut (the highlight of the humor) so he invents a fictional player that hits a number of negative player stereotypes that are relatively nonspecific.

If it is that, I'm not sure why he went to the trouble, he could have just told the story using a different context.
>>
>>48864687
They're in the MEGA senpai.
>>
>>48864880
That's... Huh. You imagine a certain thing, but I guess it isn't necessary.
>>
>>48864964
Not as bad as bards never playing their instruments in combat though.
>>
>>48864908
Annoying him seemed like the fun, it was IC where he had his hands tied. Oh well whatever, the internet is mostly lies anyway.
>>
>>48864992
The main issue is I've HAD players like that (not as exaggerated as the example and generally a bit more specific about their weirdness), and they basically disrupt and halt the game OOC when they see they are getting blatantly screwed over like that and the DM is forced to deal with the situation in an OOC.
>>
>>48864908

No, it seriously happened. Some minor exaggeration may have been portrayed for the sake both telling a good story, and representing the condensation of his belligerence in that entire session in a few lines, but it happened

Sure, OOC he grew more annoying, but the more aggravated he got OOC, the easier my mind slip into the calm theater of the scene, like how when you're the one raking nails through a chalkboard, it doesn't annoy you as much as it does the rest of the room
>>
>>48865067
To each his own then.
Sounds like a massive pain in the ass for your GM this player does. Why does he even allow him to be a disruptive influence?
>>
>>48864262
No, saw it, but then there's the matter of the "features." Not a lot of variety.
>>
Requesting the master list of official character options. Why isn't it in the OP?
>>
>>48864979
>imagines a solution to this
>instrument powered cantrip that works in melee
>realize this largely invalidates the valor bards extra attack
This game pisses me off sometimes.
>>
>>48865090

we're a group of friends playing in a store. every once in a while a significant number of our friends does something like skip town in vacation, and so we gotta take a new guy in for a one shot.
>>
File: pact specific invos.png (48KB, 703x638px) Image search: [Google]
pact specific invos.png
48KB, 703x638px
Does anyone have some homebrew invocations for tome and chain? Found a bunch for blade already and I like the idea of having more for each of them.
>>
>>48865127

I just say that my instrument is my Minor Illusion
>>
>>48865145
Ah. I've had the problem.
Generally we just forestall the game in our situation.
>>
>>48865164

We simply don't play with our "mains"

Since every one needs to skip a session once in a while, overall progression stays more or less the same
>>
>>48865159
Sure, but you're still just casting a spell to do it, rather than using an instrument to cast other spells. The classes mechanics work great, but it's flavor is slightly broken.
>>
>>48861378
>There was a phone app but it got removed because it violated copyright
There's a character creator app on iOS and Android.
>>
I've got a player at level 7, who after talking to him he seriously regrets making a war cleric and not just going full on paladin. I have some character development stuff with his god coming up for him, is it too game breaking to let him switch classes wholesale after receiving a blessing from his god? He would lose all his cleric spells, etc, going from war cleric 7 to paladin 7.

Not sure how I would handle proficiencies though, but he's a dwarf anyway so hes proficient in most weapons and armor to begin with.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>48863055
Why build encounters around your players? The entire world doesn't revolve around them.

Build encounters that make sense within the story and let your players figure it out. If they're winning good for them, if not they need to try harder or do something differently.
>>
>>48865744

I think that could work. Maybe have some downtime between sessions where his character learns to train with his new weapons and makes his oath and whatever. Like a few months or a few weeks or something.

Probably on a scale of a few months.
>>
>>48865744

Why does he regret it ? The grass can always look greener on the other side, he may well hate the Paladin.

Honestly I wouldn't allow this , it encourages metagaming, min-maxing and rollplaying. As far as I'm concerned once you pick a class you stick with it unless you die. Then you re-roll at lowest party level ( you are using variable party xp right ?) with starting gold and equipment only.
>>
>>48865788
We're running Out of the abyss, so the midpoint where they escape the underdark would actually be perfect for this, since it's implied that months pass before you go back.
>>
>>48865829

I don't think that's necessarily true. You could also just retire your character.

I think class changes that make sense and are justified are probably fine.
>>
>>48865829
He didn't understand that parties don't require a dedicated healer to not die on every encounter (he plays a lot of MMOs) so he felt shoehorned into it, despite my explaining the contrary.

I've even tried pointing out that fundamentally, War clerics and paladins play very similarly, one is more melee focused and one is more caster focused, but he doesn't buy it. In terms of stats though, he's hardly minmaxing, his charisma is only +2, his str at +3.
>>
>>48865952

Honestly if you do let him switch classes you might want to buff his Charisma or something. Just make sure you give everybody in the party something like that, a feat or an ASI or something.

Otherwise he's just going to switch classes and realize how fucked he is. What are his stats now?

Maybe changing characters is the best option after all.
>>
>>48865952
I assume his wisdom is high? Let him switch them around.

And try not to think how his gods blessing made him more foolish.
>>
>>48866022
I was just going to fluff it that this particular god does not let mortals make oaths to him lightly, and must give up something great in exchange for his acceptance. That would also make sense seeing as he is losing all his cleric spells and abilities.
>>
>>48865952
So his only complaint is that he *feels* like he's the groups healing bitch even though he isn't , he chose to be and you explicitely told him he never had to be and isn't?

Boy have MMO's ruined tabletop RPG's.
>>
>>48866053
He's really stubborn, once he gets an idea in his head it'll take a lot more than evidence to the contrary to change his mind.
>>
>>48866053
I get that feeling every time someone suggests every party needs a cleric and/or that Life cleric is a superior domain choice.
>>
Anyone excited for this http://cubicle7.co.uk/adventures-in-middle-earth-pre-order-opens/

????
>>
>>48862840
I woud play and or allow any of these. Well done
>>
>>48865744
What is he not liking about the class? Did he feel forced to pick Cleric for the whole "need a bandaid box" feel from MMOs or something?

Honestly, War Clerics are fine for a pseudo-Paladin class. Remind him that just because he can use spells to heal, doesn't mean he can't go on the offensive with some of his domain spells. I mean, he's probably got high AC thanks to being proficient with heavy armor and shields, so he can easily cast something like Spirit Guardians or Spiritual Weapon and then get in on the action, being a bash bros. with whomever else is the melee PCs in your group.
>>
>>48864731

Its less about fucking around and more like that escort character from Firefly
>>
>>48866312
I think he just can't get it out of his head that a cleric is a robe wearing healslut.

He's basically the party tank already, and has had a lot of clutch moments where his offensive radiant spells have saved the day. Even so, he claims to not like the spells offered to a war cleric and that he doesn't like casting.

Honestly I think he just wants to attack twice every turn with a melee weapon, if I was an asshole I'd have his god strip him of all his skills and make him a fighter so he can hit more stuff with his hammer, because it sounds like that's what he wants.
>>
>>48866444
Hitting hard is more satisfying, I can't find it in me to fault him for that. I get the feeling paladins are going to be his go-to class.
>>
>>48861105
They're PWYW on DMs Guild. http://www.dmsguild.com/product/177743/5e-Character-Sheet--tg?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0
>>
Sorry if I'm slowpoke, but I just found out about Volo's guide. Does anyone know if it's going to include new monsters, or will it just feature extensive lore on those already in the MM?

Are you guys excited?
>>
>>48866630
>Does anyone know if it's going to include new monsters
Yes, it will.
>>
>>48866444
Hmm... If he just wants to be a warrior who hits stuff hard and has a small amount of healing, then Paladin would be a better fit for him.

And the spells a War Cleric gets might seem underwhelming, but they all are good. Divine Favor, Magic Weapon, Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, and Flame Strike all let him do damage in various fashions or make it so he's more likely to hit. Crusader's Mantle is just an aura version of Divine Favor. Freedom of Movement is really strong in various situations, Stoneskin just lets you tank a bunch of damage from non-magical sources, and Hold Monster can literally end a fight before it begins.

Maybe you can do something with his character to let him retire it, where his god sends him on a holy quest to recover some relic, and after a bit of downtime, his Paladin shows up with a letter from the Cleric (now an NPC) who requests the party's aid in some fashion.
>>
>>48866630

more excited about the beastmaster ranger rehaul to be honnest
>>
>>48866208
>>48866053
>>48865952
My wife is the same way. She wanted to roll a paladin because she thought the group needed a "tank". After going over all the numbers, how I DM, how the game flows, etc. she still ended up rolling a Paladin, went vengeance, and now just has a blast trying to be Judge Dredd.
>>
Have any of you used Alter Self for another purpose than the three things it lists off?
>>
>>48866690
Hadn't heard of that, here's hoping they don't screw it up.
>>
>>48863060
I'm pretty sure this happened in season 4 of Oz.
>>
File: mayostorm.gif (824KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
mayostorm.gif
824KB, 350x197px
Where the FUCK are my Storm King's Thunder leaks?
>>
>>48865148
Bump, and some DMsG ones that aren't in the trove in case anyone bought them.
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/174267/New-Warlock-Invocations
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/177837/Pacts--Patrons-and-eldritch-invocations-new-class-options-for-the-warlock
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/182345/Hidden-Tome-of-Magic
>>
>>48865744
At the end of the day, it's a game. You're the DM, so you make the call.

I'd allow one of my players to make a switch, like you're suggesting, with a lot of fluff involved, and maybe some kind of quest/arc just to make them earn it.
>>
>>48866749
Your wife sounds cool.
>>
>>48867169
That's what I came here to know
>>
>>48867527
I'm biased, but she really is.
>>
>>48866916
I've grown tentacles, a prehensile tail that could hold my weight, Compound / Multiple / 360 degree facing eyes, etc.

I try to keep it in line with the other ones, basically copying animals and gaining a minor benefit.
>>
I need to come up with a dungeon that houses a bunch of fey/corrupted fey and cultists that worship them, Party is level 4 btw.
So far I had in mind that the dungeon would look like a giant underground garden/hedge maze, illumination would come from crystals on the roof. I got no idea what kind of traps there could be, perhaps thorny vines that would wrap around the players, man eating or poisonous giant plants.
Any more ideas?
>>
>>48867686
Create traps that are implicitly an open-ended deal with the fae, like refreshments (or potions if your table is very gamey). An open-ended deal with a fae is a painful trap only limited by DM imagination.
>>
>>48867722
You got my interest, can you think of an example of such deal?
There is a fountain that recovers hp/spell slots or perhaps cures petrification (and is right after an encounter with a monster that can petrify) but drinking from said fountain makes you unable to directly harm fae and their allies? Or makes it so you must kidnap children for them, cursing you to become unable to touch iron perhaps
>>
My players interrupted a sacrifice to Tiamat that was going pretty smoothly (the Tithing was successful, Rite of Respect complete, and was about to be a sacrifice). They've slaughtered dozens of cultists and are about to wreck the giant 15ft statue made of Obsidian and other jewels.

What should the repercussions be if Tiamat had her eye on this specific group (of cultists)?
>>
>>48868093
For every boon the PCs take from the Fey, the Fae get to ask the PCs to do something (usually funny or mischievous, but sometimes harmful), and they are magically compelled to do it, so long as it isn't something like killing themselves (basically Charm Person or Geas, setting the DC at like 14 or 15 for them to resist the effect, and they know right away something funky is up when they succeed).
>>
>>48868093

Traditional lore says that those who partake of the food of the Faewyld, may never leave its realm

So you could make it so the more they partake of the fey's aid, the more penalties they'll get once they leave.

Also, dresden files rules. An Oath sworn to a fey is not unlike any paladin oath. To swear on a deal upon their power and renegue it could lead to that character loose Y levels in X until the time they can achieve some sort of new deal or attonement
>>
is there any non homebrew way to play a viable tinkerer/civil engineer in 5e? I've been wanting to do that for years, and hopefully not just refluff magic
>>
>>48861805
Depends how high level you want to go.

If you want only 1 Barb level then Fighter is the better option since it gets more attacks.

But I would play neither as a Swashbuckler/Dragon Sorcerer is the best Dex fightang man arround as well as the best Gish combo.
>>
>>48868348
Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do in and out of combat?

First thought is thief rogue with a custom background for 2 tool proficiencies and the Skilled feat for more tool proficiencies. A thief could use objects as a bonus action and the rogue's reliable talent makes that stuff work all the time.
>>
>playing dnd online
>party gets in a fight
>i decide to sit out so i can scope out buildings and the rest of the town, possibly make connections and gather intel/items/etc - my PC is kind of redundant anyway because our party is full of casters
>nope, dm completely forgets about me and runs the fight
>party returns
>dm says i was just sitting around watching for the duration of the fight
>mfw

fuckin DMs.
>>
>>48868450

I suppose what you said isn't too far off the mark. I want a gadget warrior, I guess. Someone whom inteligence is the main stat, but not a wizard

Is there any other take on what you said other than the rogue?
>>
>>48868541
Thief rogue is the only archetype that's going to let you use tinker tools and other such things in combat, and even then you're relying on your DM to cooperate with your idea to an extent since most tools don't have an obvious in-combat use.
>>
>>48868541
Artificer would probably be the best example of what you're looking for, basically making a bunch of one-time use gadgets and little trinkets to use in and out of battle to mimic spell-like effects.

Unfortunately, I think Artificer is confined to a Wizard archetype from an early UA, and not a very well made one if memory serves.
>>
File: weapons.png (21KB, 723x241px) Image search: [Google]
weapons.png
21KB, 723x241px
Alright so I came up with a couple of ideas for pact weapon-specific invocations. All should be level 9, Lifedrinker is changed so it's also level 9 and only for bladed (maybe cleaving?) weapons. Does this seem non-shit, and do you have any additions, suggestions etc.?
>>
>>48868474
What kind of fight? Like, a lethal one?
Someone just "nah, you guys take care of it" when they're trying to kill you as a group is highly unrealistic in an in-universe sense as well as nonsensical and from an OOC standpoint is strongly metagame and looks a lot like you don't really care about playing at all.
>>
>>48868586

yeah, I'm looking at it. Mr Eberron. Wew, no kidding there
>>
>>48868649
no it was the very first fight in our campaign and we had a bunch of high level NPCs helping us as well

>looks a lot like you don't really care about playing at all.

idk where youre getting that from I had this huge itinerary of exploration planned to get a headstart on the campaign but the DM just ignored me after the fight started :/
>>
>>48868348

I'll say it because nobody wants me to

Gunslinger
>>
>>48868748
I'm not getting the full picture at all and don't even know how you sat out on the fight, but going off doing your own thing instead of being part of the introduction fight of the adventure is pretty stupid. I assume I'm misunderstanding but that's what it sounds like.
>>
>>48868749
If you're fine with it being gun-centric this the the right answer.
>>
Hey guys, so I am trying to make an array of characters for Storm King's Thunder. Playing with a random group at my lfgs so I want to be able to have a good mix to pick from that will compliment the party. One of these is a Viking Shaman who worships Thor, Odin, and Freya. He's insane as he believes all 3 gods actually verbally speak to him in his mind. I'm gonna be using a magic 8 ball and a small homemade list to roll whenever he seeks the gods for guidance to see what he does. Thing I am unsure if is if I go straight Tempest Cleric or go Druid first for wild shapes so he can turn into a bear as well, seeing as it would be cool for the build. Though should I go lvl 2 Druid first then the rest into Tempest? Would that be the most optimal?

Second character is more of an experiment I hope will be fun. A Dwarf Barbarian ex-pro wrestler who is just maxed out Con. I just want him top have the most possible HP just to be the bane of my DM. Should I try to max out Con to 20 first or pick up Tough first and Tavern Brawler maybe after?
>>
>>48868748
If one of my players walks off while the others are fighting, I'm not going to dedicate time to that player. I'm going to run the fight. Switching between the two would just be annoying.

If you want to explore, then do it with the rest of the party.
>>48868749
They explicitly said non-homebrew.
>>
>>48866582

The set on DMs Guild doesn't have the specialty versions for all the classes with variations for the class arch types or the class summary information pages.
>>
What would be a good (both mechanically and flavour-wise) companion for a dwarf ranger?
>>
>>48868928
Look in the OP mega, it should be there.
>>
>>48868960
The hunter archetype
>>
>>48868960
An apprentice smith/squire tasked to watch over you Sam-style. If you mean animal companion though, badger is good I think and it fits in fluff?
>>
>>48868982
Har har.
>>
>>48864687
I had them and must have deleted them by accident. I know I got them from a either a mediafire or mega link/trove. I'm aware of the version on GMs Guild but the set I had before also had a folder of special sheets that were character sheets like the general purpose one but modified for each class and then versions for each archetype for the class from the PHB and each class set had a class summary page similar to the rules summary in the generic/all purpose version of the sheet.
>>
>>48869049
Not sure if you guys are blind or if it really isn't anywhere in the megas or on DMsG, but here it is in case of the latter.

https://mega.nz/#!QJoynSJB!Xy9dedekAzdgxdhr6BtSK2esUsglhdWVchujdwEjqi8
>>
>>48862094
It's worse when you try to introduce new people to DnD. I had a friend who was convinced the point of DnD was to try to "beat" the DM and would go out of his way to derail quests and would talk shit towards me whenever he got a good roll. That campaign ended up lasting 3 sessions before I told everyone to fuck off.
>>
Does anyone have a link to Fell's Five Comic ? to download ?
>>
>>48861100
Storm King's thunder is supposed to be able to take off immediately after. Elemental Evil also picks up pretty easily from the end with some minor tweaks, but it's very much a dungeon crawl, so make sure that's something your group likes.

Alternatively, that could be the end of the campaign. No reason every campaign has to be from level 1 to 20. Start a new one in your homebrew world, or if they're really attached to the characters, just go all planescape with it. They find a portal with a plot hook inside in the last dungeon of LMoP, and go to Sigil, where you make things up from there.
>>
>>48868541
There was a homebrew posted here for exactly what you wanna play. I think it was named the mechanist. Sadly never saved it
>>
>>48868748
It sounds like a miscommunication between both you and the DM then.
Next time instead of coming on here, actually TALK to the DM about it.
I've had a ridiculous number of players drop out of my games because I didn't do what they were into, which I never knew about because they never told me and instead they did the shy geek thing and just clammed up and waited for things to magically get better rather then trying to open a line of dialogue out of the game.

I even ASKED everyone on how it was doing and for serious feedback and in all three cases of this they decided to say nothing, even in private text message form.
>>
>>48869153
Thanks! I looked around in the megas, looked in my saved links, I downloaded the DMs Guild version but it wasn't complete. I'm usually pretty thorough but I was coming up empty. Its possible I suffered a brain fart and missed it. I do have moments of insane stupidity and ignorance so I can't completely rule it out.

Were sheets ever made for Wizards and Rogues??
>>
Gave my players a staff of devil summoning; basically, each time you hit, it summons a random devil chosen from a table of 1d100. Afterwards, you flip a coin to see whether the demon attacks you or waits and tries to talk to you.
Well, my player summoned a Lemur on the first hit...
...and then hit again and rolled a 100; summoning a pit fiend. Then flipped a coin and had the pit fiend attack him.
Luckily enough they were hanging around a very high level wizard and got teleported out...but now there's a pit fiend chasing down my level 4 PCs.

RIP.
>>
>>48869787
>it's a wacky table DM episode
>>
>>48869787

sounds like a pretty shitty magic item

maybe have a way to return the demons by doing some shit to the staff. that could be an interesting plot hook, having to do whatever shit to the staff while getting chased by demons.
>>
>>48869851
Nah all the players loved it; also gave a reason to start a devil themed campaign.
>>
>>48869273

I lay a speech on new players that is a summary of Role-Playing Mastery by Gary Gygax. If anyone thinks or starts getting adversarial I call it metagaming and flip my shit like a street person on a PCP and Meth cocktail. If they aren't too scared to keep playing I repeat the fucking speech and tell them that next time I think their silly shit is happening I'm getting my tube sock full of quarters because we all have to work together as a team.
>>
>>48869752
With some help from Google I managed to find it:
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ
Has blood hunter and spell-less ranger variant ones as well. Not sure if it's the most up to date one, but better than what i had.
>>
>>48868679
I know some people have talked about homebrewing up a more faithful port of the Artificer from the Eberron setting, with archetypes to let you basically become an explosives expert with AoE bombs, someone with arcane knowledge who makes a bunch of one-use items to mimic low level spells (or make a lot of small charge Wands only he can use), or a magic-powered Iron Man.
>>
Can I get examples on when to use Mental based saving throws. I understand that strength for physically pushing against something, dexterity to avoid something and constitution to resist poison or cold. Should charisma be used to resist mind altering affects since your charisma? Does anything besides intellect devourers use Intellect saving throws?
>>
>>48870133
Wisdom is a good option.
>>
Gonna run Tomb of Horrors converted to 5e, Paranoia-style. What's a good level and how many characters should each character bring?
>>
>>48870133
Charisma is resisting forced relocation or possession, like banishment. It is used by a few devils and such I think, 4 abilities force it in the MM. Intelligence is resisting something trying to affect the brain itself I think, only 2 effects, those of int devourers and mindflayer, force this save. Wisdom is constitution but for mental effects, trying to resist various effects. I'll just paste the table but these are the most common mental saves.

Save # %
CON 86 34.0
DEX 57 22.5
WIS 52 20.6
STR 52 20.6
CHA 4 1.6
INT 2 0.8
ALL 253 100.0

This is only monsters, but spells are similar at least when it comes to mental saves (while there are much fewer strength saves).
>>
File: saves.png (3KB, 181x208px) Image search: [Google]
saves.png
3KB, 181x208px
>>48870299
Easier to read. Can't find a breakdown of spells like this, so if anyone has that that would be great.
>>
I want to have my players fight the BBEG on the moon. How would you do this?

Alternatively, how would you just blow up the moon?
>>
>>48870133
Intelligence is used for attacks on your mind itself. Just about nothing uses this, but if we ever get some nice Psionics rules, you might see more of it.

Wisdom is for attacks on your mind's perception of reality. This is pretty much everything you're going to see. Disbelieving illusions, resisting compulsions to act in a weird way, to not fall asleep, and so on.

Charisma is anything that doesn't fit in there, on top of what defines the self or soul. It's called, like Wisdom, in cases where you are resisting a compulsion to act, but also to avoid getting banished to other planes, forced to stay on one (being imprisoned there or Forcecaged), moved around / teleported in general, and so on. It's force of will, personality, sense of self.
>>
>>48870394
Teleport them to the moon or hop on boat and sail there. There are spells and items for travelling in all sorts of hostile environments, like the Plane of Fire or Earth; the Moon is positively delightful by comparison to either of those.
>>
File: ezpz.jpg (5KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
ezpz.jpg
5KB, 300x227px
>>48870394
Would breathing be an issue? If not, just create a portal somewhere that leads to the BBEG's moon base.
>>
Guys, I'm making a death domain cleric. Anyone else here played it? Is it good? Any advice?
>>
File: shutterstock_4477507.jpg (138KB, 575x384px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_4477507.jpg
138KB, 575x384px
A player I'm DMing for has proposed this as his class for a new campaign: https://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Telekinetic_(3.5e_Class).
After a quick read it seems pretty balanced. I'd appreciate it if anyone could spot any issues with this in a campaign, since I've never ran with anything homebrew before.
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>>48870843
>3.5e_Class
>>
>>48870859
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I and another player have already sorted all of the basic conversion stuff, like hit die and all that stuff. I just meant the general jist of a telekinetic.
>>
>>48870843
Since you are posting 3.5 questions in the 5th Edition General thread I'm going to say you are too fucking stupid to use that.
>>
>>48870843
don't even bother posting that here friendo

i tried asking a basic question about 3.5 feats the other day and got told to fuck off
>>
>>48871001
Fuck off
>>
>>48868909
>>48868801
eh, i had to skip the fight to get a certain role and after the fight was over i used the role to get the party valuable info

i guess youre right tho the DM has to focus on the fight when it's happening
>>
>>48871001

there are probably thousands and thousands of guides for your 3.5 wizard

and you can just wait in the pathfinder thread too
>>
>>48871001
Ah no worries, this is the first time this general hasn't been of use. Cheers though, I won't make the same mistake again of implying that a 3.5 class could be converted to 5e.
>>
Would a Duelist Fighter/Eldritch knight multiclassed with Bladesinger be any good? It seems like it could be a pretty fun character build to run with. I've been trying to make characters outside my typical greatweapon fighter/rogue builds.
>>
I am Currently the DM for 2 seperate groups of 4 players. Group A characters range levels 3-4 and Group B characters range levels 1-2.

I was thinking about having both groups playing in the same world. For example, Group A buys a shop in town and offer their services as monster hunters / dungeoneers. Group B can hire the whole party or just one member from the shop of Group A. While out on a contract, group A characters receive gold, XP and maybe even a share of the loot.

Group A plays on Sundays and Group B plays on Fridays so I think this would add a cool flavour to my world. I just started thinking about this today but I'd like to hear some input from my fellow autists (you).

Also the groups cannot play together since group A is normies / pretty cool guys while Group B are fat autistic Asian manchildren
>>
>>48869497

I think I found it

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_73NA7vK-0OYnZ2UW51TmJUNlk/view
>>
File: bastion.png (28KB, 731x294px) Image search: [Google]
bastion.png
28KB, 731x294px
>>48868590
Bump
>>
>>48871192
>Duelist
What does this mean?
>>
File: 1458557258209.jpg (493KB, 864x612px) Image search: [Google]
1458557258209.jpg
493KB, 864x612px
Anyone have SKT yet? Curious to see if it's worth buying.
>>
>>48871085
>>48871028
>>48871093
its alright guys, i'l probably be a 5e fag in a few weeks anyway. i suspect my uni games club will only play 5e. right now i'm playing online.

>tfw neckbeards play hot women and "their character" is always talking down to everyone and "noticing people's eyes wandering south", noticing things NPCs are supposedly doing when the DM hasnt even hinted at those events transpiring (usually sexual like checking them out or inappropriate touching) ugh it's cringey
>disgust.jpg
>>
>>48871093
If you posted your conversion I'm sure people would be willing to look at it. But you just posted a 3.5 homebrew class, which does nothing unless you want feedback on the fluff.
>>
>>48871454
It's not even in WPN stores yet. The WotC team got their copies like, yesterday.
>>
>>48871452

The duelist fighting style for the fighter. +2 damage if you are wielding a weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other.
>>
>>48871466
That's dueling but ok. Should be good if you want more slots than EK, and with Shield and base AC of 20 I guess the +1 AC fighting style isn't that important, though it is generally better than dueling I think since that doesn't scale very well (fighter is the best class for it at least since it gets many attacks).
>>
>>48871464
I had seen images of the books, thought someone might have gotten an accidental release.
>>
>>48871192

It's a pretty good multiclass. I think 10/10 or 18/2 is probably the best way to go personally. 10/10 gets you Eldritch Strike for disadvantage on your saving throws and I think up to 5th level spells and 7th level slots, which you can feed into Song of Defense.

I don't think it's optimized but I think it's probably pretty decent.
>>
>>48870843
>>48870904
I can't see anything that would be blatantly broken, though some things could be issues depending on exactly how you did the conversion. Just scanning through here's a few standouts:

1 - The changes to the grapple rules make the 'Telekinesis Speed' more significant that the default. Not necessarily broken mind you, but keep it in mind.
2 - Telekinetic slam should be balanced against eldritch blast. 1d6 per level is way to high under 5e, but exactly how much you lower it depends on what you do with the next one.
3 - Multitask is very strong 5e standards. It blows the Rogue's bonus actions out of the water. Exactly how much weaker it needs to be I'm not certain, but I'd be leading towards letting you take a telekinetic action as a bonus action and not scaling up.
4 - Telekinetic shield needs to be carefully scaled. It's a nice ability thematically, but like the monk, barbarian and dragon sorcerer abilities it probably shouldn't stack with armour.
5 - If you plan on going up to that level, telekinetic power would need to be completely rewritten. The action type stuff it does really doesn't fit in 5e and while you could give a cap breaking bonus to the telekinesis strength, I wouldn't want to step on the barbarian's toes.
>>
>>48870843

Even more than 3.5 class the big problem here is the DND-wiki.org part of that url
>>
>>48871504

Well part of why I wanted to go dueling is A) it's a character concept I haven't done before and B) when I pick up Defensive Duelist I'll have access to even more defensive tools in fights. I won't be the most damaging fighter out there, but it should be a good blend of defense/offense hopefully.

>>48871583

Yea I was thinking about going 18/2 to get the most out of the fighter's feats/ability score increases. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be cripplingly bad or anything like that I didn't see anything while thinking about the build that would be awful.
>>
>>48871711

Duelist is fine. Defensive Duelist is almost totally outclassed by Shield though.

I think 18/2 is fine but it DOES lock you out of your 4th level spells entirely. There are a few goodies on that tier I'd hate to lose but if you're okay not using them (I do think the first 3 tiers are better) then go to town.
>>
Anyone have any experience regarding archery in 5e? Is it still relegated to sidearm damage for switch hitters or has there been anything added to it like what 3.5 had with the Order of the Bow?
>>
>>48871767

Yea but shield costs a spell slot doesn't it? I like DD since it gives me a way to use my reaction and doesn't cost a spell slot. So a more frequent (but weaker) shield I can use whenever I need it.
>>
>>48871799
Dex-based fighters, rangers and paladins, as well as rogues, are great at range. A paladin should probably not spec for it but every other one of those can, with feats like Sharpshooter to boost damage. With how bad dual wielding is, it's generally thought the best fighting style for rogues.
>>
>>48871799
>sidearm damage for switch hitters
Is this memes?

Regardless: ranged weapons are great for rogues, rangers, fighters, and valor bards. Fighters with Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, and a hand crossbow put out large amounts of consistent damage at range (and can have the combo as early as 4th level with variant human, or 6th without).
>>
>>48871822

That's why DD isn't totally outclassed. Shield costs a spell slot but it also lasts for the entire round and is more AC (through most of the game at least), DD only lasts one attack.

It's not horrible if you have nothing better to waste feats on but there's things like Warcaster, Resilient, and Lucky too. If you weren't going Bladesinger I'd say Warcaster but you still might want it for advantage on your concentration checks (important for spells like haste).
>>
>>48863284
>CR 3
>Legendary Actions
>>
>>48871976
the unicorn gets legendary actions at like CR 5
>>
>>48871799
Mighty is gone. If you've got a +5 Dex mod, you are getting that added to your AB AND damage, no need for Strength whatsoever. This is already a huge boon for ranged characters.

The closest thing to a disparity remaining is how the one-handed melee, two-handed melee, dual weapon, and ranged fighting styles work.
Dueling is intended for sword-and-board types and grants a flat +2 damage on every hit.
Two-Handed lets you reroll 1s and 2s on your damage die.
Dual Wielding lets you add your damage stat to your off-hand attack, which was previously missing.
Archery is a flat +2 AB.

All said, Archery is going to provide more reliable damage. Factor this in with Sharpshooter (-5 AB, +10 damage on an attack) and you have a damage-dealing option that is far superior to what a Great Weapon Two-Handed Fighter is dealing with, since they're more likely to miss.
>>
>>48872055

speaking of this, anyone think a bow that lets you use your strength mod for damage would be okay? Something like a composite bow.

That way you don't have to carry around 50 javelins in case something starts flying, and it gives a slight buff to strength as well.
>>
are sword and board fighters viable?
>>
>>48872226
Yes. The only bad option is duel wielding I think, though polearms are usually considered strongest because of Polearm Master.
>>
>>48872105
>not carrying 50 javelins
They're reusable, you know. Mostly.
Besides, now you have to carry a bow and 50 arrows.
>>
>>48872226
Considering you'll have advantage most of the time thanks to Shield Master, I'd say S&B is more viable than ever.
>>
>>48872226
Shield Master OP
Dueling (and constant advantage from Shield Master) also makes up for the damage loss of no GWM, especially since no one is making GWM attacks every attack and every round.
>>
Is there any way besides monk levels to dodge as a bonus action?
>>
>>48872295

It just makes more sense in my head. Just a bow with a property like Composite or something that lets you deal damage and aim with your strength mod.
>>
>>48865713

>Free for level 1 and basic races.

>Pay for levels beyond 1 and expanded content.
>>
Now that the dust has settled, which class makes the best blaster? Everyone already knows that evoc wizards are better than sorcerer, but how clerics and druids compares?
>>
>>48872226
Yes, but you want to take Shield Master feat and shield bash every fucking round.
>>
>>48872270
>>48872299
>>48872311
>>48872348
Alright. Our new campaign is starting soon and im tired of the GM and other players saying my character is the OP one despite not having the +4 greatsword of holy power or whatever the paladin has. I just want to hit shit and be an unmoving cornerstorne for the group.
>>
>>48872340

Evocation wizard definitely beats out those two, although druids have a lot of cool and interesting spell options like tidal wave and call lightning.
>>
>>48872331
The Thrown property comes with the caveat that the weapon itself is going to have slightly reduced damage to compensate for you being able to rely entirely on one stat and fight at range and melee without issue.

There is a similar trade-off for Finesse, in that most of the weapons have d2 less damage with the exception of the Rapier, but that notably lacks Light (as with other Finesse weapons) and Versatile d10 (as with the other d8 one-handed non-Finesse melee weapns). But that's just there for the Dex-based meleers who aren't going to worry about ranged combat to begin with.

If you absolutely must have a damage-comparable ranged launcher with Strength as its damage instead of Dex, I don't think that's going to break anything, since it'll still be keyed off Dex for accuracy. Go nuts. In fact, put it on some crossbows while you're at it, because it's never made much sense that you can pull a longbow back harder but no one invented a fucking crossbow with a crank system weak enough for all people to use, but also with an optional upper end of tension that you need to be He-Man to achieve.
>>
Necromancer wizard, y/n?
>>
>>48872226
desu they are beyond viable, they are optimal for most classes that have access to the option. Any boost in AC you can get is a good thing in 5e. You may loose out on damage potential depending on your class, but that bonus to AC can be a life saver, especially in the level 1-3 range.

Plus you can take the shield master feat and give yourself advantage every round by pushing creatures prone. As well, you can block damage from dex save spells and attacks with your shield with shield master.
>>
>>48872369
What are you playing now?

Consider taking Sentinel, too, to protect your party from the bad men.
>>
>>48872407

I think it would work for accuracy too (penetrative power), I'd just give the bows an upper end of like a d8 or something. It's certainly not there to replace melee, but if you're fighting a dragon or something it gives you the option of switching out to a slightly weaker weapon (that you probably don't have any benefits with like fighting style/rage damage/or feats/isn't magical) so you can do something other than "I wait for the dragon to get back down".
>>
File: Kyle Oroson The Necromancer.jpg (152KB, 900x831px) Image search: [Google]
Kyle Oroson The Necromancer.jpg
152KB, 900x831px
>>48872414
I like them. They are the best way to play a wizard with minions, plus they make their minions stronger as the level up. They could of been made better, but that can be said for a number of things in 5e.

9/10 archetype.
>>
>>48872432
I'd argue it isn't as good on something like a war cleric, bird barb or other build that uses bonus actions regularly, but for anything that doesn't it is really good.
>>
>>48872432
The best part of Shield Master is ending enemy grapples by using your optional shove on allies being held by monsters, since forced movement of a grappled target ends the grapple. You harmlessly bonk your pal with your shield and he's freed from the octopus' grasp.
>>
>DnD period

Never ever used or played with a

>Druid
>Cleric

They any good?
>>
>>48872605

yeah they're fine.

moon druids are "OP" at levels 2-4 or 5.
>>
>>48872548
I agree with that. It's best on fighters and paladins. Barbarians actually should rarely get shields imo, since barbarians are meant to soak damage to continue raging.

And though I dont take shield master on them often, I almost always give my clerics shields. Especially my life clerics.
>>
>>48872605
Cleric is pure power. Turn on spiritual guardians, charge into the enemy.
>>
>>48872645

Really? What Domain is that?

>>48872621

Noted. Any particular NON VARIANT HUMAN race?
>>
>>48871454
This is why I railroad but make them think im not

>fork in the road
>signs are fades
>depending on which you pick both lead to hell gate keep motherfucker
>>
>>48872605
Clerics are amazing if you ask me.
RPing as them is easy and can be a ton of fun. They are good in combat. They can fill almost any roll with the different divine domains.
Cleric is my go to class, the other one being barbarian.
>>
>>48872477
Red dragon blooded sorcerer focused primarily on hasting others and direct damage. I just wanted to blow shit up. It's not as effective as controlling with reverse gravity but I love throwing 40d6 via meteor swarm.
>>
>>48872696

Anything that gives you Wisdom is fine as a Moon druid since it's the only stat you actually use.

Anything that gives you Dex/Strength and maybe Wisdom for a cleric and a land druid is what you want, particularly anything with a Wisdom bonus.

Spiritual Guardians is just a regular old spell I think.
>>
So I never really played dnd (1 game of 3.5 3 games of 4e) and I wanted to ask for someone who is used to games like shadowrun and gurps how would 5th work out for me? I"m not looking stuff like guns or anything like that. But I enjoy a lot of room to work with when it comes to characters
>>
>>48871433
Pact of the bastion?
>>
>>48866250
Totally missed this. Much appreciated man. Really.

Anyone else take a look at these?
>>48862840
>>
>>48872774
5e has the most built in room for characterization, but it light on character options.

If I ran GURPS I would abandon the idea of 5e as a tactical experience, I would run it with background or ability score proficiency was from the DMG and use it as a lighter weight dungeon explorer with a healthy bit of humor.
>>
>>48872582
Is that how it works? We had a situation like that come up recently and we couldn't find a quick ruling so we decided the creature grappled just got dragged along.

>>48872605
clerics and druids are both solid classes. Druids built right can do some solid work and function as a front line health sponge or a back line control caster with healing. Clerics, when built right, are imo the strongest class in the game in an overall sense. They have very solid healing, buffing, debuffing, utility, tankiness, damage output, and crowd control. I will admit I am bias in these claims but they aren't completely groundless. Just by casting spiritual weapon and spirit guardians, you can single-handedly turn an encounter into a quick skrimish with ease. just gotta beware of counterspells and dispel magic spells.
>>
>>48872851
>>48872851
>>48872851

New thread
>>
File: 1455250294442.png (377KB, 984x1777px) Image search: [Google]
1455250294442.png
377KB, 984x1777px
>>48872605
>>48872696
Earth/air Genasi (elemental evil supplement) if you plan on using spells that require concentration.
I mean, you won't have a bonus to your casting stat, but your CON score will be pretty good
>>
>>48872715
While this isn't the worst thing you could possibly do, it's still not great.

What's the point of a fork in the road if there's nothing to tell you what lies in each direction? You can give the party a million meaningless deicisions and it'll only serve to slow the gameplay down. Players won't feel like they have choice, only that they have choiceless in that they feel lost.

Secondly, you might still have to force them to go inside. They might decide to still go elsewhere.
You need to give them a reason to go there other than 'oh, it's dangerous, so it must have loot!', which the DM in the comic has obviously failed to do after all that planning.

If you did the sensible thing and made it so the party knows where they're going but ends up somewhere bad anyway, there should probably be warnings along the way. Say the party is accidentally heading into deadly marshland. You can't just say 'You are now in deadly marshland. Enjoy.'
You drop hints along the way. And then, the party is actually given the option of saying 'actually, I don't feel like going there.'
>>
>>48872886
If you move the grappler, the grapplee goes along for the ride.
If you move the grapplee out of the grappler's reach, the grapple ends.
>>
>>48873075
ah ok then. Thanks.
>>
>>48873555
>>48873075
The grappled creature only moves along if the grappler moves it with them. They don't go along for the ride if the grappler is moved by some other force--because there's no rule that says or even implies that.
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.