[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do Woodsy elves get their metals from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: 1439659211361.gif (62KB, 388x283px) Image search: [Google]
1439659211361.gif
62KB, 388x283px
Where do Woodsy elves get their metals from?
>>
File: 1450913606996.jpg (192KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1450913606996.jpg
192KB, 724x1024px
Who is saying that there is no metal in the woods? That they are so backwards that they haven't figured out forging? I mean they aren't fey that can't touch metal.

And if those things don't work for whatever reason, they can still trade.
>>
>>48849282
Magic Metal Trees
>>
File: 1471105292771.jpg (64KB, 600x767px) Image search: [Google]
1471105292771.jpg
64KB, 600x767px
>>48849282
They secretly trade with dwarves.
Don't bring it up, they are extremely ashamed about it.
>>
>>48849282
Basically, >>48849503 but I assume you mean Elves are that too hippy to ever stick a spade in the ground?

>They get their forest friends to find it for them.
>They collect it from rivers and sand via separation
>They're actually super hardcore hemomancers and part of their funerary rites is the collection of the dead elf's iron rich blood. It's then condensed and given to their kin to be forged into armor/weapons for defending their BLOODline.

Or any of the other answers in the thread.
>>
By trading their stupid shit with our Fortress while also complaining about us cutting too many trees.
>>
The blood of humans

a person with 5.5 liters of blood has about 2.75 grams of iron. The weight of a viking sword at 1.1 kgs means you might need 400-500 people to get enough material
>>
File: elf3.jpg (8KB, 164x187px) Image search: [Google]
elf3.jpg
8KB, 164x187px
>>48849595
Why would the dwarfs be ashamed?
>>
>>48849679
>>48849721
>Harvesting the blood of your ancestors to forge weapons to harvest the blood of your foes to forge more weapons..

I think that's actually more grimdark than 40k.
>>
>>48849786
You evidently need to play more DF if you think that's grimdark.
>>
>>48849282
The woods
>>
File: forge-1.jpg (44KB, 736x368px) Image search: [Google]
forge-1.jpg
44KB, 736x368px
>>48849282
Alright, son. Since you asked so nice-like, i'll tell you about the Woody elves.

Cute name, ain't it? Woodsy elves. No doubt some pampered scholar in the capitol went and thought that up. Never worked up an honest day's sweat, never felled a tree, never feared the thrice-damn elves would drop an arrow through his skull at five hundred paces just for making a living.

Now, these elves, these are a terrible breed. If they don't want you to see 'em, like as not you won't. They've got bowmen like you've never known, they've got trackers who will follow you home and put a mark on your cabin so's they know which one to ransack next time they come a-raiding, and the word has it they have witches as evil and beautiful as they are alien.

But fact is, they don't make life too difficult for us.

They can't.

Because they need us.

See, they don't forge their own metal. Sure, they probably have deposits in their woods somewhere, but I ain't never seen an elf fit for a miner's life. Worse than clerks.

Anyway, they knows how metal is made. They could probably do it better than us if they were so inclined. But they ain't, and i'll tell you why.

It's the fire.
>>
File: horseshoe-1.jpg (25KB, 385x308px) Image search: [Google]
horseshoe-1.jpg
25KB, 385x308px
>>48850106
Sure, a forge is safe enough if you know your way around it - but what about woodland creatures? Vines? Falling leaves in autumn? Nah, there's all sorts of shite out in the woods as could mess up your workshop right proper and cause a forest fire into the bargain.

And the elves don't want that. They're 'Woodsy'.

So instead they look in on the village. Oftentimes you'll spot when they're jonesing for a bit of metal 'cause you can maybe spot one or two of 'em on the forest verge if'n you know what to look for.

Most folk don't. And even when we do the extra guard is never enough.

See, they stake out the village 'til a child is born, and then they sneak in and take it.

They scamper off to their trees cackling and tittering like it's a grand ole joke, and leave in the babe's place some pug-faced ugly dwarf-thing. Bit like a gnome, only smaller, uglier, and with a more annoying voice, if you can believe it.

Well, this changeling piece of shite will usually have a list of demands. Often try pranking folks before revealing it though. Got to shake it out of him. Usually it's just "Tribute for the lords and ladies" in exchange for the village kid's safety. The place'll have a whip-round to get the smith all he needs, and it's all bundled up out in the open for the elves to take.

And four out of five times, we get the kid back.

Fifth time? Eh, don't ask about the fifth time.

Suffice to say, you'd prob'ly have better luck warding off elves by putting arrowheads above your doorways instead of horseshoes.

They can touch metal fine, they just don't like to work it.
>>
>>48850106
well, depends on the metal.

I'm from Michigan, and we quite literally have raw copper that can be dug out by hand. Not much anymore, almost all the stuff on the surface got dug up a long time ago, but I do mean copper, not ore.

Copper is soft enough that the native people worked it without needing forging.

>hating fire.
Controlled fire is part of a healthy forest life in many places.
Woodsy elves would probably have restrictions or even taboos about fire, but not ones that forbid all fires.
>>
At the beginning of time Man discovered fire and shared the secrets of fire with the elves.

The Elves heard the spirits of the fire and discovered magic and shared the magic with the world.

The Orcs tilled the earth and made wheat and shared the secrets of farming with everyone
>>
>>48850215
>elves using copper for weapons
Ah, a Glorantha man, are we?
>>
>>48850282
>Glorantha man
I mean, I like the setting, but this is stuff I grew up with. Copper is part of our history.

For weapons they mostly used stone, flint, or if they could find it obsidian, if they needed a keen edge, copper if they needed something that wasn't brittle. A fair bit of the copper was shaped into wire.

Steel arrowheads are nice, but if you aren't trying to punch through armor stone heads work.
>>
>>48849282
From the Woodsy Lord.
>>
>>48849282
Bog iron?
>>
>>48849282
In my novel setting, the Wilderness Tribe elves either went full Amazon and stayed the fuck away from everybody else which saved their asses during the Collapse when several cities were the detonation points of Godslayer warheads or gradually merged with the other races to the point that it's barely even worth differentiating in-universe whether an elf is from a certain tribe or not. But then, the Goddess played favorites a LOT, and more or less everybody had metallurgy before long.
>>
I wanna make elves based on Finnish mythology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haltija
>>
>>48849282
Looting corpses (of the knights, especially)
>>
>>48850493
How? Is he hocking his jewelery to them like a pawn shop or what?
>>
>>48851889
No, he pays master thieves to nick it from abandoned cathedrals full of zombies and annoying fetch quests.
>>
>>48849282
DEPENDS ON THE SETTING

Now that this is out of the way, I'd like to mention that any setting using the old school "elves are always fighter/mages" style can easily justify how they get iron
they get their lords to cast iron wall

Then they can forge it normally. It's not like elves are afraid of fire, I don't know where /tg/ got this idea.
>>
>>48849282
Their Bards deliver all the Metal they'll ever need.
>>
>>48850635
Came so say this

>>48850493
Metal and tools bes no the domains of the Leafie Lord
>>
>>48852100
>the elfen lords have gold weapons
>the lesser nobles silver weapons
>the regular elves copper weapons
I don't think that would work so well.
>>
>>48849282
You know how a vegetable's roots has bacteria that absorb nitrogen?

Woodies have a variety which does the same with metals: bioleaching through magic.

They just collect the iron-grapes, silver apples and golden bark afterwards.
>>
>>48849282
Trade for it, like the Native Americans did
>>
Garden variety Tolkien-type elves were perfectly happy to mine and smith, and infact were the best at it. Because elves.

If your setting is more Gloranthan or Dwarf Fortress and elves are militantly anti-industrial, then you just say that they use magically hardened "ironwood," summon it straight out of the ground by blowing earthspirits, or recycle it from dead human armies.
>>
>>48852068
You can't make things out of the iron produced by iron wall.
>>
>>48852144

no, that's the Metal Elves, whose society is broken up by how the elfen lords weild weapons of Power Metal, the lesser nobles weild weapons of Glam Metal, and the common elves are split into two castes, one weilds tools of Heavy Metal and the other (untouchable) caste weilds tools of the quasi-forbidden Metal of Speed.

Outside the realms of the Metal Elves there's the Extreme Elves, and their 4 clans of Black, Death, Doom and Thrash, named for their use of the forbidden metals.

>>48855495

The reason a lot of other elves hate industrialism is because Elves in folklore were weak against "Cold Iron".
>>
>>48849282
Magic, you whore
>>
>>48849282
>>48849282
From the fucking GROUND like everybody else, the fuck you were thinking OP? That forests are made just of trees floating in the thin air? That they don't grow on mountains? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME MAD OP?
>>
>>48849282
From the mines beneath Menegroth/Thranduil's Halls, of course.
>>
>>48856820
>>
>>48849503
>A sword, a spear, a longbow and three knives

Why did they put this memester on the cover again?
>>
>>48850146
neat
>>
>>48850215
Copper is a VERY bad weapons material. Stone and bone weapons and armor can be much better for must purposes. And bronze already requires some basic metallurgy.

Also, point is - the social system of nomadic tribal huntsmen strongly collides with the requirements for many crafts, metallurgy and metalsmithing among them, which is one of the reasons civilization moved to settled life.
>>
>>48849282
they take it from your corpse
>>
>>48849282

Bullshit plants that concentrate minerals in the soil in their bark, branches, or leaves over a period of years.
>>48849532 gets it.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.