[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Encounter idea help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Vicar Amelia.png (189KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Vicar Amelia.png
189KB, 300x300px
Hey /tg/ my players are about to have an encounter with an enemy and since I'm relatively new I wanted advice on how to make it more interesting.

In my game there's this black ooze that corrupts things it touches pretty basic, granting extra eyes or limbs, deforming them, well it happen to fall on a werewolf alpha. She managed to retain some of her sanity and keeps herself hidden away in a church so she won't hurt others.

Now the players need to go to that church and pick up an item from it and basically she's the only obstacle in the way.

How can I make fighting her more interesting? Mechanically or role play wise?
>>
File: tumblr_o9g3n4OViQ1qia2dho3_540.jpg (97KB, 540x492px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9g3n4OViQ1qia2dho3_540.jpg
97KB, 540x492px
Bump with deformed werewolf
>>
>>48849214

Does the party HAVE to fight her? It seems she's trying to stay out of everyone's way, and you specified she doesn't want to hurt anyone. Maybe what's unique about this is that she ISN'T a fight at all, but rather, the party needs to try and reason with a barely-sane monstrosity to achieve their goals. Y'know, like a "don't judge a book by it's cover" lesson.
>>
>>48849296

>expecting players to not attack everything on sight

Well.
That's a gamble I'd be loathe to take.

>>48849214

Have her beg to be put out of her misery while she flings multiattacks on the players like a Jehovah's Witness spreading the Good News.

Give her something akin to lair actions - every now and again she'll run up to the dais and gross tentacles will rise out of the ground and try to grab and hold the players for a round while she tries to run away. Give her a lot of defensive actions like reactions against melee attacks or some attacks with knock-back.

At the end of the day, if the players can't cure her, there's no real reason to let her live, especially if she's suffering, so make that the point of the encounter. Make it a sad scene. Or just make it fuck all awesome.
>>
>>48849419
Building on this, what could be a neat way to portray the vicar as not-a-monster would be to have an egotistical NPC from the town offer to go with the players to assist them. Play him up as a talented big game hunter out to nobly help the party, but then by the time they enter the church and encounter the vicar, have him go full Gaston. He's out to kill the beast in the most gory and sadistic way "because monsters deserve to suffer," and more or less have HIM be the true fight, as the vicar just wanted to be left alone, and probably would even assist the party.
>>
>>48849214
Make her fight not only against the party, but herself.
Part of her wants to rip these adventurers apart, but the sane part of her does not, she realizes how far gone she is and manages to hold back a little.
If she manages to grab a PC make it so that she appears to be going to bite their face of, only for a morel-like secondary mouth inside her throat to say "End me, please" and to throw the character against the ground wiht enough force to punish them for letting themselves being caught.
Have her scream "Stay back" or "Save me, please" from time to time. Keep it varied but restricted to short pleas and commands
Have her cheeks covered in tears at all times with a frightened/crazed look in her eyes.
Every couple of turns (Can be decided by a dice throw) she tryes to stop herself, like grabbing the arm that is about to do a sweeping attack to stop it or jump backwards to hold her screaming mouth open to give your players an opening
If the party knew her beforehand make it so any kind of memory of who she was puts her under severe distress or she gets distracted by objects that used to belong to her
The more damage she incurs, the harder is it for her to hold back, by the point she is almost dead who she used to be is completely gone and only the beast remains
End the fight with her regaining some sanity before dying and thanking the players

Standard cliche stuff, really. But if your players aren't jaded some emotional manipulation will be fine.
>>
File: bloodborne_guide_walkthrough_6.jpg (51KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_guide_walkthrough_6.jpg
51KB, 854x480px
>>48849214
You literally posted how in the fucking op, OP
>>
>>48849419
I can take a guess lair actions means moves that affect the environment?

These ideas are wonderful, this is so helpful

>>48849824
I'm confused, elaborate?
>>
Mechanically is always the big trick.

You could give her some kind of item that she is using to do some bad shit (healing, dmg, spells) so the players want to try and get that away from her.

Another good tool is the environment. Have her throw things around (like players) and have them end up in situations like hanging from chandeliers from which they can set up some awesome scenes.
>>
>>48850377
>I'm confused, elaborate?
Vicar Amalia, despite being 100% intent on killing you mechanically, has lots of hints that show she's not entirely in control.
Her shrieks sound almost like she's more in pain then angry, and her left arm is constantly clutching something (a rosary basically, a symbol of her faith) and she NEVER uses both hands to attack you in the entirety of the fight, showing that despite how monstrous she has become a tiny whimpering shred of her personality remains.
>>
>>48850581
>Amelia's personality is trapped in her arm
LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIID!
>>
File: prestidigitation example.png (494KB, 694x861px) Image search: [Google]
prestidigitation example.png
494KB, 694x861px
>>48849214

Give her prestidigitation!
>>
>>48850581
>and she NEVER uses both hands to attack you in the entirety of the fight

No, she does a double fisted smash that also serves as a ranged attack, and she has a double handed grab move. But you're otherwise right, and they're both kinda "rage" moves.

(I think the thing she's clutching through the fight is the locket with the motto of byrgenweth and the healing church on it - "beware the old blood")

But she's a long way from Rom who is legitimately trying not to fight and mostly wants you to keep away from her.
>>
>>48849214
Have her try to burn the church she's in down to make sure she dies before she fully loses it. Fighting in a burning church to kill an eldritch werewolf trying to retain its sanity in a race against time.
>>
>>48851526
She's clutching the Pendant you get after the fight.

But she transformed as you walk in, and her screaming during the fight sounds a bit sorrowful to me, so it's likely that she's still in there somewhere.

And I don't think it's that Rom doesn't want to fight, it's that she doesn't really understand what's going on. She's just lashing out with her power because she really is just a baby. But same thing, really.
>>
File: 1458675860044.jpg (155KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1458675860044.jpg
155KB, 1000x1400px
>>48849214

Charge/teleport/leaping attacks that moves her across the battle field periodically and forces the players to have to rearrange their formations is generally good with big enemies, having her climb out of reach of melee fighters for part of the fight and maybe fling masonry at them for a turn or two also keeps them on their toes. You can also have her knock down bits of the surroundings, causing some bit of the roof to seperate part of the party from each other temporarily is also good.

With big monsters in general, you want to either keep the battle field dynamic or allow the big monster to temporarily move much faster around the battle field than PCs can. Basically give them something to react to whenever they've gone a few rounds of methodically hacking away at the monster.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.