[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Astronauts and their descendants:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Hey.

Several centuries ago, a human colony ship has landed on a habitable planet. What factors (i.e. equipment failure, mutiny, etc) can contribute to the decline of their society towards a simple decentralized clan-based system? I'm talking full-on loss of scientific and technological knowldedge here.

How will their resulting culture reflect their spacefaring past? For example - what kind of working superstitions they might perpetuate? What will be extremely weird about them, but obvious in retrospect?

For example, one of my ideas involves them suffering from a strange disease. Very rarely, a person goes into shock from physical or emotional trauma, goes into coma, and never wakes up (except for legendary cases). The old wives say that this condition means that his soul went on a journey through the spirit world and got lost.

It is actually a malfunctioning anabiosis genemod.
>>
earthquake shortly after they arrive, lss of written materials, paper, supplies - reduced to a survival situation,, all of the science, math, etc. becomes an oral tradition. Most astronauts don't know about rebuilding a society from scratch (if any) might get lucky and have a geologist with some mining experience.
>>
>>48846829
Ann McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. PERN stands for "Parallel Earth, Resources Negligible", a designation given by the initial colonization survey teams.
>>
>>48846829
Issue with the disease thing.

diseases and illnesses are caused by pathogens that have adapted to be infectious to the host animal or plant. The reason why an illness or disease would be lethal is because the illness or disease in question evolved over time to be able to overcome or circumvent our autoimmune response and create symptoms that are harmful to our body but allow for the spread and reproduction of the pathogens.

Any disease or illness inflicted upon a non-native populous will be a result of any pathogens carried over from the planet of origin and surviving the new environment until the native pathogens have had a chance to adapt to the non-native organisms due to initial incompatibility, or get overrun by non-native invasive species of pathogens.
>>
>>48848920
I might have misused the word "disease" in this case. The "deep sleep" is not caused by a pathogen native to the planet.

All colonists are geneticaly modified for the journey. They are enchanced with traits beneficial to the colonisation effort and space travel in general. Several of these new traits were engineered to allow the colonists to enter cryosleep more easily. After many generations, the regulation system is breaking down. These problems cause the "anabiosis mode" to spontaneosly activate and render the person comatose.

In short - the reason for this problem has arrived with the colonists.
>>
>>48848703
Didn't they specifically pick that planet BECAUSE the colonists wanted a planet where they'd be left alone and ignored by the larger society

And didn't they stockpile technological resources specifically so future generations could use them during their planned move from a high-tech to an agrarian society
>>
>>48846829
It's simple Anon.
The colony ship contained people.

The robot supposed to build cities missed their target and built on not-Mars instead, and now await further instruction, but, it's not-Mars and has no atmosphere. And the follow-up ships supposed to contain all the help and tech needed for them to reach back their tech level never came.
>>
>>48852590
This is actually pretty cool, since it can lead to some shenanigans during early astronomical observations of not-Mars.
>>
>>48848146
As a result, the arising society will have solid engineering skills and practices, but close to no theoretical knowledge.
>>
>>48852590
Not OP, but stealing this for alternate future past setting.
>>
File: tomorrows_man_0.jpg (873KB, 1818x2660px)
tomorrows_man_0.jpg
873KB, 1818x2660px
The last posthuman astronaut's corpse in a shrine.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/must-tomorrows-man-look-like-this/
>>
File: 116499_600.jpg (83KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
116499_600.jpg
83KB, 600x379px
>>48856692
>atom-powered tricycle dick
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.