[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chrono-phylactery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: lich clock.jpg (89KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
lich clock.jpg
89KB, 700x700px
What does /tg/ think of the concept of a "chrono-phylactery"?

Basically, the user binds the parts of their soul not to an object, but for example, a particular TIME period and the history of that period. For example, a user's phylactery could be the period of the Roman Civil War or the Three Kingdoms period of China. It could even be more recent events such the Vietnam War or the War on Terrorism. The main point is that the soul is tied to that particular time period itself.

My conception of a chrono-phylactery is this:
* It is created by being heavily relevant to that historical period, usually manifesting being responsible for huge number of deaths such that a wound in the Collective Unconscious (or World tree or some other universal spiritual entity) is created, with the user's soul being turned into a 'scab' to close up that wound. Alternatively, but very rarely, it could be through acts of benevolence that turn the user's soul into a "protein shake" for the Great Spiritual Force.
* It must be created knowingly and intentionally.
* The integrity of that historical period anchors the integrity of the chrono-phylactery. Time travelers can severely harm a time-lich's soul in the present by tampering with the real events in that period.
* The chrono-phylactery offers no protection to the time-lich before it was created.
* The power of the chrono-phylactery to maintain a time-lich's corporeal life fades over time, such they must further create more wounds in the Great Spiritual Force or nourish it. However, the more a time-lich does this, the exponentially greater their acts must be.
* Historiography can affect the health of the time-lich's soul. If they remain extolled or infamous in history, their Chrono-phylactery is more effective on the whole. If they are trivialised or forgotten, the chrono-phylactery is weaker for it.

How would you further design this concept?
>>
>>48833319
I'm sorry to say, but as is I dont like it. I think you have a cool concept here but when you tie it to closely to the idea of the lich you're surrendering to much of the mystery to pre-established concepts.

Could you instead decouple it from a phylactery and have the creature who's gaining power from this remain nameless? It would come off as more "eldritch" then "undead" depending on your narration.

Furthermore, I recommend reading "The Sabbath" by Rabbi Abraham J. Heschel. A large part of his thesis is on the nature of the sabbath and how it is a construct in time. I think this could help give you some language to better express your idea.
>>
Dealing with that would be an unpleasant hassle that no system will handle well.
It's clunky and obnoxious at best, and almost certainly tedious to boot.
Unless you're trying to fap to your DMPC, please stop. Actually, stop either way.
>>
Ok so looking at this my first question is how the players are supposed to beat it without time bullshit powers.

In all I really don't like it, it seems to be confusing and obtuse for the sake of being confusing and obtuse, an attempt to be "original" instead of something that's actually cool and useful. I feel that it would work in a really really really really specific setting and/or game but as a general thing to use in stuff I really don't like it. I'd sooner just have the lich hide his phylactery in a specific time period.
>>
>>48836666
devil's quads confirm
>>
>>48836666
>I'd sooner just have the lich hide his phylactery in a specific time period.
This sounds pretty neat for a time travel campaign, but how does it work when he dies?

Does he respawn at the same time as every other permutation of him that's been killed and they all hang out for a while and spoil the plot for eachother?
Does he just mentally replace himself from that time period? How does he get to other points in time? Waiting?
>>
>>48838107

Ugh I hate time travel

I'd probably just make it super clean and say that he teleports to the present day the moment he gets reincarnated by the phylactery.

That or he just shows up again in some other place being all "kept you waiting, huh?" and he did just respawn in the past and wait to catch up to the present.

Or he could always wait and then huck his phylactery into the past the moment he "catches up."

Whichever makes the most sense and minimizes time travel shenanigans.
>>
File: luav1uZ.gif (2MB, 528x352px) Image search: [Google]
luav1uZ.gif
2MB, 528x352px
>>48838393
>Oh, and guess what?
>I met all these really cool guys with treasure down in the limestone cavern,
>so I invited them to stick around instead of coming up when they were logically supposed to.
>>
>>48838492

Yeah I would probably handwave some kind of "Yeah, universe doesn't let that happen" bullshit
>>
>>48836666
By doing a massive mind wipe spell. No one remembers the Lich? It dies.

But really make it something else that's not a a Lich.
>>
>>48839714
>By doing a massive mind wipe spell. No one remembers the Lich? It dies.

wut? And I fail to see how explaining why this would work wouldn't further fuel "confusing and obtuse for the sake of being confusing and obtuse"
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.