[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me world-build some space fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1342557846871.jpg (484KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
1342557846871.jpg
484KB, 571x800px
Got a setting bouncing around in my head. Feel like using you guys as a sounding board, see if anyone can help me develop it.

In the distant future, mankind's technology is so advanced that it would seem like magic now. However, we were never able to surpass the speed of light. So, to colonize the stars, we developed generation ships, to send off a generation of astronauts and have their descendants colonize the target world generations after launch. These ships are impossibly massive, with multiple self-contained biospheres with entire ecosystems inside of them. Presiding over these biospheres is a central AI, and the balance of these ecosystems is maintained by what are essentially 3D printers that create living creatures. The biospheres have holographic skies, can simulate different weather effects and geological conditions, alter the physical terrain, that sort of thing.

They wouldn't be sent down to the destination planet immediately, however. They didn't want the burgeoning society to be entirely reliant on the technology from the generation ship and unable to adapt to the environment of their new homeworld. The ship would remain in orbit over the target planet for a few years, scanning the environment below and altering the biospheres to match the ecosystem on that planet. The population would be physically altered to thrive on this new world. When an ecological stability was reached with the simulated environment on the ship with the addition of whatever form these new humans took, then they would be released onto the planet below.
>>
>>48829688
The ship's AI is a fully intelligent, thinking machine, with different nodes communicating across the ship in tandem. Factories onboard would be able to produce worker robots to do repairs when needed, and drone ships would go out and harvest materials from asteroids or planets to add to the ship. Brain scans of researchers, philosophers, artists, engineers, and the like are all part of the AI's infrastructure, sharing information and overclocked to an absurd degree, allowing the AI to solve problems whenever they arise. Everything is designed with redundancy in mind, and the ship should, under normal conditions, easily be able to carry on for a thousand or more years without interference.

The setting is one such ship, sent out to a distant star. However, this ship's destination was discovered to already be inhabited by another intelligent species. This species did not take kindly to the arrival of an alien colony ship on their world. The colony ship was not designed for war, but it did contain technology that surpassed the natives'. The natives launched ships full of soldiers onboard to slaughter the colonists, and the AI responded by creating terrifying war beasts to combat them. The natives responded by nuking the hell out of the ship. At this point shit started going wrong. The ship was designed to be sturdy, but massive pieces of its inner workings were gutted. The AI governing the ship stopped being able to communicate with itself as well, power was disconnected from some biospheres, humans were being slaughtered wholesale. The fragment of the AI which had access to the ship's engines decided that the best course would be to cut their losses and get the hell out of dodge, and sent the ship on an escape trajectory out into deep space. The alien soldiers still on board were stranded from their home, and, not understanding the humans' intent, made a final suicidal push to the ship's reactor core, nuking it and killing power to the whole station.
>>
>>48829702
Life support failed. Nothing lived. The entire ship became a husk. Crippled, fragmented, with very little power, adrift in space with no destination in mind. But, not entirely dead. The ship was designed to repair itself. Slowly, over the years, the autonomous processes on the ship managed to restart the reactor core. However, the AI was still damaged. Each biosphere was governed by a different fragment of the larger AI, and none of them could easily communicate. Some couldn't remember how they got this way. Others tried to find a new purpose in this mess their world had become. Many began carrying on their original course, creating life to suit an enviroment, though they had different ideas about what enironment that was. Others became angry and paranoid, continuing their previous mission to rid the ship of all nonhuman creatures by creating terrifying war beasts.

Nearly four thousand years later, some biospheres have developed societies of intelligent beings. However, these beings are not descendants of the humans that started the mission, and none of them know the ship's original purpose or how things came to be this way. Most don't even know it's a spaceship at all, they just see themselves living in a world made of interconnected bubbles. Religions spring up, worshipping the gods and goddesses that they imagine reside in the broken and derelict machinery. Some creatures are designed with the ability to interface with the ship's technology, in the hopes that they will be able to repair what the machines themselves cannot, and those are regarded as wizards and priests. They go out and have adventures and quests, never knowing their world is artificial.
>>
>>48829717
When I run games in this setting, I don't want to present anything as technology. I don't want to tell the players the world's backstory, but I also don't want to actively prevent them from figuring it out, or hinge an entire campaign premise on "OOOH IT WAS SCI-FI ALL ALONG WHAT A TWIST!" It'll also be a bit more obfuscated once I flesh it out more, since there's 4000 years of history to mythologize and confuse with the history of the ship pre-fall. What do you guys think?
>>
So what type of creatures do the pcs play as?
>>
>>48829942
Various humanoid but not exactly human races, just like in most fantasy. I might even just call some elves or dwarves. I'm also thinking of making a social delineation between natural born creatures and ones that were printed instead of born, because they'll probably be created as adults with basic knowledge like language and motor skills and stuff, but no knowledge of the culture that has developed independent of the machines' intentions. They might be a race too, with some mix-and-match powers. I'm also considering the idea that one of the AI fragments decided that the planet they were going to already had an intelligent species, so all it needs to do is recreate that and it'll be suited for that environment. Obviously that one will be one of the ones that forgot they're in space forever now.
I'm just going to assume standard D&D character races unless someone else wants to flesh it out more.
>>
>>48830060
I don't mind the dnd races, but have reasons for why the ai (gods) made them the way they are. Why are the dwarves short, why are the elves dexterous, orca brutal, halflings nimble etc etc
>>
Do the priests and wizards need to access a special piece of tech to use thier abilities like a staff or holy symbol?
>>
What level of civilization will the people be at? Medieval? Will they have early era guns?
>>
Be sure to add:

A race of smart felines

A race that breeds so much they are at war just to cut down their population numbers.

A race of energy beings that many other races believe to be gods.

A popular bar

Eye candy

And of course, androids.
>>
>>48830138
So we've got one AI that decided that, since the mission is a bust, it's just going to create things that it finds aesthetically pleasing until it eventually dies. The things that a 4000 year old broken AI finds aesthetically pleasing are kind of weird, so we've got a race of humanoids with long, slender bodies and limbs. They've got bonuses to dex because they're slender and quick, but minuses to con because the point wasn't to make them hardy. There's your elves.

There's the AI that wants to make races that will be able to go out and fix things, but its creations aren't really getting the message. They're good at tinkering with stuff, good at surviving in harsh environments where the life support isn't what it used to be, but they're not intended to form a big society so they're not very social. Unfortunately they wound up being more interested in developing a religion to worship the 3D printer, which they regard as a fertility goddess, and they sort of holed up in fortresses instead of going out and exploring. Their subconscious desire to enter the innards of the ship and work things out gives them a predilection for digging holes. Dorf.

One of the printers was damaged in the invasion, exposing its innards and causing the AI directing it immense amounts of some digital version of pain. It hurts and is frightened and paranoid at any sorts of invaders, still stuck in the mentality that it needs to produce warbeasts to defend the ship, unwilling or unable to recognize the other fragments' creations as natives. It creates all manner of monstrosities, but a cheap and expendable one happened to form a stable population outside of its biosphere. They are strong and brutal, but not particularly intelligent. Orc.

That's off the top of my head. I can probably justify the rest too. The one race there probably won't be is humans.
>>
>>48830232
I'm thinking that a lot of the "magic" might be caused by one AI, instead of creating large creatures, creating tiny nanomachines. They can reproduce and tend to spread out and bond with whatever tech is nearby to the point that they're saturating most of the ship by now. After years of mutation, some bond with creatures, giving them what seems to be control over the environment, some develop their own wills and create magical anomalies, stuff like that. But yeah, that could cover some of the more complicated spells, while some basic ones could be enacted by "staffs" and such.
>>48830381
I am missing a reference.
>>
>>48830479
This is good, I like these reasonings
>>
>>48829741
So like Prince of Nothing, but the Aliens/humans were benevolent in nature instead of Xenomorph RApe Daemons of Slaneesh?
>>
>>48830381
I don't get it?
>>
>>48830533
Alternatively, or possibly existing at the same time, a lot of what we could call magic could be weird shit leaking out of a Warp-ish extra dimensional plane poorly understood by the AI. Most of the time, the weird Warp creature are benign to the existence of mortals, though every once in awhile some chump attracts a bizarre predator or a hostile sapient life form. Thus becoming the "Daemons" of the biospheres, though in truth they're just weird things from beyond the void.
>>
>>48830863
Too much 40k, seemso like he is going for a fantasy vibe
>>
>>48830288
I was picturing sort of high fantasy medieval. staffs that might as well be guns, lightsabers as "magic swords", metal armor augmented by magic shielding (force fields) or strength enhancing magic (power armor), that sort of thing.
>>
>>48830479
One AI attempted to create a race that could repair it and tried to directly implant mechanical knowledge of technology and the ship's inner workings. However, tampering with the creature's minds directly caused them to be incredibly prone to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and paranoia. The end result was a race of small creatures with an instinctive knowledge of machinery but a deep hatred of other races. Gobbos.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.