[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system can manage anima characters plus DnD Combat.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 231457.png (478KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
231457.png
478KB, 720x400px
Hear me out, before you crucify me for mentioning two of /tg/'s most hated systems.

Ive been a long time player of Anima Beyond Fantasy, i love the character creation and all the powers its wonderful. But combat is the biggest fucking crunch, its annoying. i have some tools to help make it easier but its still awful.

fast forward to new player suggesting we play 5e, most of us being sick of anima combat take up the offer, we play a few sessions, GM is retarded, we quit after 3 sessions, characters felt limited but not so much that they were unplayable, but we loved how simple the combat was, it was marvelous. Roll to hit, no math just fail or pass, then roll damage.

So i ask (at the worst hour) what is the best system you know that can have amazing diverse character creation, but still have simplistic combat

> Inb4 gurps
thats on our list, were going to try that as well, but we would be idiots not to check with other people anyways
>>
>>48823627
Anima combat>DnD "combat" anon...
just /5 the numbers.
>>
>>48823627
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. It simplifies a bit and streamlines GURPS into making better D&D games than D&D. You could up the default power level (250 points, which in GURPS can give you the man who is the absolute best ever in his field, or somewhat diversified adventurers really good at their stuff) to Anima-levels once you got used to the system a bit. Otherwise just telling people who've never played they have 500 points and 150 points of disadvantages is just a recipe for disaster. DF has "templates", too. In GURPS that's usually a prepared characters with customization options. (So you can, for example, pick either broadsword or axe/mace or spear as main fighting skill, and tactics and leadership or armoury as secondary skill, everything precalculated already)
>>
>>48824166
>making better D&D games than D&D.
That's like saying "making better mexican food than taco bell" anon...
>>
>>48823627
So you want non-crunchy combat but crunchy character creation? That doesn't really work.
>>
>>48824504 has the long and short of it. You want simple combat, but you also want more crunch in your characters... crunch that you would see where, exactly? You could tack on subsystems for maneuvers and aspects and powers and shit, but that means combat gets more complicated due to the variety of choices, and that is going to slow down combat quickly.

My suggestion: if you liked *playing* 5e, then *play* 5e. Encourage fleshing out characters beyond the stats given, and encourage the DM to look for homebrew solutions to what factors you thought limited your characters most.
>>
>>48824166
Thank you for the recommendation, ill check out that book first

>>48823885
That doesn't really solves the problem, it just makes the numbers in the problem appear smaller, the problem is combat is a hassle in anima

>>48824504
its worth a shot to try

>>48824525
I read a thread awhile back where someone had the same problem, that 5e was simplified for everyone, and that anima cursed people to be unable to like something so simplified, i agree though, ill look into changing things for character creation then
>>
4e has more mechanical complexity, and in general higher power levels and actual shit to do for martials.

It may be what you need.
>>
>>48825769
>its worth a shot to try
No, not really. It's just a logical impossibility.
>>
>>48825840
4E crunch is pretty small.

Again, anima spoils you crunch wise, like GURPS.
>>
>>48823627
Pathfinder with 3pp is pretty damn anime.
>>
>>48824525
>5e
>Even able to do 0.00000000000001% of what Anima characters can do
Lelest
>>
The only problem I see in Anima combat is calculating the damage, there's a formula, once you know that formula (and use a programmable calculator) combat is fast as DnD's.
>>
>>48828982
Probably this, with 3pp PF you have access to tons of options and can come up with almost anything you want while still being D&D.

That or Mutants&Masterminds and create your character's powers from zero.
>>
>>48823627
I found most of my anima fights to go faster than DnD as long as the party is actually using additional defense penalties to their advantage. You don't need to waste time with the combat chart just do Final Attack - Final Defense then check margin of difference vs the opponent's AT*10+20(Absorb) with a calc you can work out final damage in like 10 seconds.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.