[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duncan Rhodes Appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 14

File: duncan.png (488KB, 1089x1247px) Image search: [Google]
duncan.png
488KB, 1089x1247px
Not sure I like that they're still pushing that gemstone technical paint line, but otherwise I am always impressed by the quality of his videos. He really does make this shit look way easier than it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospUJu2L2fA
>>
>>48822591
>that gemstone technical paint line
gonna shill for a moment, MAN those are good
>>
>>48822591
"Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
File: GemTutorial.jpg (9KB, 400x105px) Image search: [Google]
GemTutorial.jpg
9KB, 400x105px
>>48822627
I can see how they're useful for doing a lot of units up to tabletop quality in a hurry, but I'm a traditionalist.
>>
Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
File: tumblr_m6yhh2LvKG1rr6cyuo1_500.gif (987KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6yhh2LvKG1rr6cyuo1_500.gif
987KB, 500x270px
>>48822627
>>48822650
Can i use them for glowing visors?
>>
>>48822650
i've always hated that method's static and unidirectional style.

the classic metallic with a tamiya clear color has and always will be the best method.

i guess GW gemstone paints will work too
>>
>>
>>
>>48823278
I get that. But I prefer directional lighting.
>>
He's so cute...
>>
>>48822591
He's not smug, he's affable, ya dingus.
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48822591
just ordered my left handed brush.
>>
Watching Duncan always makes me want to go paint miniatures.
Also: Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48824234
He's comfy as fuck.
My gf gets jealous of how much time I spend watching his videos.
She calls him my boyfriend.
If she only knew.
>>
>>48822591
"Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!"
>>
>>48824254
>Not wanting based Duncan to gently use the tip of his brush to stroke your minis.
>>
>>48822591
Duncan's tutorials make it seem like only a dribbling retard could fuck up painting and yet it keeps happening.
>>
>>48822591
Always rumembah ta thin ya paint 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48822591
Can I post "Praise Agrax Holyshade" instead? It's quicker.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

aleays rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48824254
would you ditch your girlfriend for a night of painting in person with duncan

I would
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>
>>48822591
This guy is based as fuck. I use his techniques on my pre heresy World Eaters.

HE is the best thing to come from Games Workshop in years. His Archaon video alone is gold.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>48825144
sounds like love
>>
>>48822591
>Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48824712

most of it is brush control really
>>
Duncan has made the hobby more comfy former again.
>>
>>
>>48825144
No.
But I wouldn't say no to sharing my painting desk with her and him. :^)
>>
Don't forget, Lads. Emma (painting lady from warhammer.tv) was "made redundant" / "laid off" and is now whor... Painting for donations on twitch
>>
>>48822591

On that note, go like Warhammertv on gb, they plan to do battlereports and have already started a new concept, just very short vids, about a minute long, for painting tips. The last two were painting night lords armor and the lightning that goes with it.
>>
>>48824456
(You) win 4-chan
>>
Praise be the holy "Whoosh"
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48828124
Sounds awesome! I always thought they should have just moved White Dwarf to an online format with more video content.
>>
>>
>>48828033
>Implying that potato faced cunt could ever earn money whoring herself out.

I thought Asian women were supposed to be hot.
>>
>>48828033
Shit, she actually got fired?
>>
>>48828033
She deserves it after that horrible Deathguard tutorial.
>>
>>48829855
Well she doesn't work for GW anymore. Mentioned in some BoLS podcast I listened to recently. Dunno the circumstances.
>>
>>48829855
Probably sexually harassed Duncan and settled out of court. Who can blame her, honestly?
>>
>>48822591
/tg/ Totally Gay!

I love when traditions are kept.
>>
>>48829842

Welp, she got £200 of donations in 1 week... largest was £50 in one go. It was for her new desk.

The problem with thirsty beta orbiters. She's a girl, that likes what they like, is accessable, want to be part of her "kool twitch krew",

>>48829855

She got "laid off", not fired (which means your job doesn't exist anymore rather than fired for bad performance)

>>48829904

Her and Duncan got a new boss. He took over on a Monday, she was let go on Tuesday.

She said, "she thinks" it was because he didn't like her work, but they don't have to tell you if you're being made redundant.
>>
>>48830043
He was probably a Deathguard player.
>>
>>48830043
Personally I would had kept her. If anything for variety's sake.
>>
>>48830075

Me too, her videos got about the same as Duncans.

She wasn't terrible, just very average, very table top.

meh

I have to be honest I was disappointed when it was her painting the Maw Crusher and not Duncan
>>
>>48822591

has anyone else noticed the new Gloss Shades are a fucking life hack for painting armor?

oh, also:

Always rumembah ta thin ya paints n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48830100
How so?
>>
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48830100
I play a black SM army so i will never get to experience the glory of gloss shades.
>>
>>48830128
they make all your shit shiny as fuck without fucking them up with gloss varnish or satin varnish. easy peezy sleazy... G-Dubz makes good shit. I recommend the gloss shades for everyone in the land.
>>
File: image.jpg (924KB, 2968x1668px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
924KB, 2968x1668px
First painted miniature with any actual effort, sans highlighting. It's kind of shit but Duncan saved my soul from the Unthinned Paint Chaos Gods.

"And just give it a twist liiike...that..."
>>
>>48830772
Fucking phone rotated it. Also, any pointers from experienced folk?
>>
>>48830787

if you edit the picture even slightly you won't have to rotate it any more. Crop it a little, change a couple of pixels, whatever. Editing fixes the issue.
>>
File: image.jpg (570KB, 1443x2354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
570KB, 1443x2354px
>>48830919
Oh shit, I did not know that. Thank you.
>>
>>48829759
At least the good ole' WD is coming back! Check thr WD fb page as well.
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48822591

Also, ya need ta applaih two thin coates to build up ta a naice strong finish!
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48830787
Not bad at all! Just needs a little highlighting and it'll look just fine.
>>

I need this. About to get going on my Dark Eldar and my highlighting skills SUCK.
>>
>>48830075
I always figured that she was good for presentation that girls can be into the hobby as well. At least that would make sense to me from a marketing perspective.
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>
>>
>>48822591

An' rumembah ta giv ta pot a gud shayk b'fore ya use it.
>>
File: Fucking REALLY.png (243KB, 399x624px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking REALLY.png
243KB, 399x624px
>>48843816
We're not doing it for laffs mate. I'd sacrifice a baby for smooth, consistent layers and neat, thin lines.
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48822591
>Always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48830919
You don't need to even minor edit it. Just open in paint and save it again... That sorts out the formatting as Windows processes the markup that configures the rotation orientation.
>>
>>48843935

Good thing all you need to do is always rumembah ta thin ya paints 'n get a nice, fine tip on ya brush!
>>
>>48822591

I like this guy a lot. I hope he has fun working at GW.
>>
>>48823278

Why is there no yellow version of the gemstone paint?

Is there no God as well?
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48847884
I was thinking his as well. Why has St. Duncan forsaken us?
>>
>>48822591
>>
while we're on the subject of warhammerTV, I watched the new one for deathwatch and was quite surprised he didn't use Nuln gloss on the black armor.

I play Raven Guard and fucking hate excessive edge highlighting due to the raw time required, the new nuln gloss is fucking amazing for doing black armor with a single minor edge highlight.
>>
This guy is like the bob ross of minipainting.
>>
>>
>>48827244
I have low grade hand tremors. Makes painting a thing that can go fine then a random hand twitch will ruin the last several minutes of work. I hate it because I know what I want my kabal to look like but suck at making it happen
>>
File: image.jpg (267KB, 1047x839px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267KB, 1047x839px
>>48849839
Jest rumembah ta brace ya arms agin ya tabahl fer extruh sappor.
>>
>>48822591
Not gonna kidding, his videos helped me as a newbie. Still need many much of practice, but at least my first miniatures aren't that shit...
>>
>>
>>48849572
I have found that painting minis jet black always makes them look more plastic.
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48847884
just order tamiya clear yellow or the old lamenters glaze and gloss coat it after it dries
>>
>>48843935
Is-Is that Loss?
>>
>>48858555
you've been here too long
>>
>>48835483
For me as well, but warhammer is a niche for men already, and its even more of a niche for women
>>
File: 2342342.jpg (276KB, 500x773px) Image search: [Google]
2342342.jpg
276KB, 500x773px
>This man was my first experience with delving into model painting
>He used fucking dozens of paints for a single model
>have heard paints are horrendously expensive as it is
Why did I assume this wouldn't be a costly hobby to cultivate
>>
>>48859445
You should look at it like this Anon.

If person A has $300 saved every month to spend on luxury items or hobbies, he can split it as he please. Let's for sake of comparison say he buys 5 AAA Video games and thus shells out 60 per game.

If person B however also has $300 bucks a month to spend on luxury items or hobbies, he may also spend it as he pleases. Let's say he's into 40K and shells out $150 for Three Boxes of Fire Warriors, $75 for a Crisis Team, then roughly $60 for twelve-fourteen bottles of Paint/Shades.

In both examples, both Person A and Person B spend $300. However, it is more likely for Person A's purchases to be spread out over a longer period of time than a single large purchase of Models/Paints. This creates an illusion that makes it seem like the former is cheaper than the later, when really, it's the same. Just different strokes. Any hobby is costly Anon.

Of course this isn't counting any number of game discounts you could find on say Steam, or any number of model discounts you can find on Amazon or through certain retailers. It'd be much smarter to find those discounts and use them accordingly, but $300 is still $300 even if it's stretched out over several weeks instead of a single second.

Long lame way of saying chillax Anon, spend your money the way you want to and don't let constant comparisons to others get in your way.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSu0HwM9xU

I want to snuggle up to my computer and listen to him talk to me about paints for hours. I think I'm gay for Duncan.
>>
>>48859445
Video games don't have the longevity of a well crafted, well painted army.

Also, you can always sell your army later if you wish and can recoup a lot more of your investment than you could with video games.
>>
>>48843816
>>
>>48859445
It's really not, anon.

Compare it with console gaming or paragliding.
>>
>>48859445
expensive is really relative

miniature paints cost a lot less than printer ink, and with proper storage and technique you can paint a great many models without having to replace pots

but yes, the initial buy-in cost is kind of high
>>
>>48859445
consider as well:

a ps4 and one game will set you back about 400 dollars. For that same price you can get an entire army, the rules, and hobby tools & supplies to model and paint.

Some say the plastic is just plastic and shouldn't cost so much. Maybe they are right, but consider the following:

>if you wanted to make you own models of that quality, how many hours would it take you? how many hours at work would it take you to earn the money to simply buy the models?
>how much money did it take GW to actually get to the point where they can produce and sell the models? I've read some sources claiming the master molds for a kit can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars all totaled, while the production molds are cheaper. >Shipping things isn't free. GW makes all their stuff in the UK, so it has to go on a boat to get anywhere.
>Also because they make things in the UK mostly, there is no cheap sweatshop labor like there is for most electronics

And of course, one modern triple-a game you might finish in ten hours, while an army you will spend much more time with. Of course, some games are longer or shorter, or have multiplayer, etc, but few games offer the hours for the price that a model kit does.

But what about the people that don't like painting and want to just play the game?

My advice to those people: play video games you will enjoy them more.

90% of this hobby is the models. If you aren't passionate about them, then you should seek out a hobby you are passionate about instead, because you won't have fun doing things you don't like.

Painting isn't even a grind with a reward at the end. A disturbing percentage of time, the first time you field that freshly painted model you are super proud of it will underperform terribly.
>>
>>48849572
Any example of marines painted this way?
>>
>>48860514
>90% of this hobby is the models. If you aren't passionate about them, then you should seek out a hobby you are passionate about instead, because you won't have fun doing things you don't like.

Amen. And if you think the cost of paint, supplies and models is expensive, look at the cost of having a professional commission done for them instead. To me, that's the truly insane price. I have no idea how or why anyone can afford to spend *that* much just to get an army that they didn't craft themselves.
>>
>>48859208
Sure. But painting minis seems like something that girls would easily be into.
>>
>>48864420
Nope, it requires imagination and discipline - both of which are in short supply for a lot of girls.
>>
>>48864737
Aren't you painting 50% of the population with the same broad brush, considering that individual personality elements like imagination and discipline aren't really affected by gender?

I mean, there are reasons the hobby is more popular with the male demographic, but it's not "hurr durr, they're too shit to play"
>>
>>48864951
There's a reason great works aren't made by women.

Them not having the patience to sit down for 5 hours and paint a figure doesn't mean they're any dumber or "less" of a person for it, they simply generally enjoy other things.
>>
>>48864951
Not to mention things usually go worse for girls who want to play with plastic army men than boys who want to play with plastic army men
>>
>>48865057
Women also generally have less free time than men because society doesn't let them get away with being slobs. Caring for hair, shaving, exercise, and applying cosmetics can easily take two hours or more.
>>
>>48865116
Too bad most women do all of those things to look nice FOR THEMSELVES.

Society doesn't have a gun to their heads demanding they pretty up. Most people are too busy with their own lives to worry about others.
>>
>>48865155
You'd be surprised. Society does a great job at telling women that if they aren't pretty they are worthless
>>
File: 1465150283836.gif (2MB, 343x249px) Image search: [Google]
1465150283836.gif
2MB, 343x249px
>>48865252
I've never felt that way before.
>>
>>48864951
>I mean, there are reasons the hobby is more popular with the male demographic, but it's not "hurr durr, they're too shit to play"
Take a look at most imaginative pursuits and notice that they are predominately male.

Shit, HG wells noted this in his book Little Wars in 1913.
>>
Can we just talk about Duncan?
>>
>>48865057
I think that has a lot to do with guys just being more okay with revealing their crazyness powerlevel than women. Chicks try to hide their crazy more often than guys.
>>
>>48859445
The paints are not really that expensive considering how long a lot a pot can last.
>>
>>48865252
Ah yes, society is to blame for how I feel.
>>
>>48866601
Look at the bitter vitriol in this very thread towards Emma just because she isn't pretty and has a nasally voice
>>
>>48866692
Emma isn't ugly either.
>>
>>48865634
No
>>
>>48865634
Is he single?
>>
>>48866692

Society is not responsible for your feelings of inadequacy. Society doesn't give a single fuck for what you feel. What you're calling society is a vocal minority of people who are just as insecure and pathetic as you.
>>
>>48822591
>>
File: WAR.png (402KB, 753x536px) Image search: [Google]
WAR.png
402KB, 753x536px
Guys, I forgot to thin my paints. I'm so sorry, God I'm sorry. Everyone is dead. My family, my neighborhood. Someone call the fucking army or something, they have to be warned about what happens if you forget to thin your pai
>>
>>48867539
It can't be that bad if you don't thin your paints, I mean I'm not doing it now an--

Dear gods above... I've messed up, there's no chance for me just remember to always thi
>>
File: image.png (1021KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1021KB, 750x1334px
>>48867539
Dun say I dinnae warn ya!
>>
bump for sweet scottish painting tips
>>
File: image.png (559KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
559KB, 1136x640px
An always rumembah ta fin ya ching chong 'n getah nice, fine tip on ya bing bong!
>>
>>48871077
>Tipping your bing bong

Come on anon, at least racist right
>>
>>48865116
>implying women excercise more than men
Wew lad
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48871077
OP here.
Get that bitch out of my thread. This is a No Emma Zone.
>>
>>48872557
I say no to Emma nah.
>>
>>
>>48872557
So is GW apparently.
>>
>>48866894
Probably, but his one and only love is being as neat as he can.
>>
>>48822591
>>
Femaleness is just a meme

Some people have differently configured bodies... whatever. In the end everyone needs to remember to thin their paints and get a fine tip on their brush.
>>
A friend of mine had played for years and never painted a thing himself. Dissatisfied with chaos marines he'd all but quit 40k when he discovered Duncans imperial knight tutorial and thought "wow, i could do this" he's finished three now and is onto his castigator. Thanks based Duncan, single greatest asset to games workshop.
>>
>>48822591
Jesus, this guy. I'm TRASH at painting, honestly. My entire SM army is a single color, with the trim (pauldron edges and chest wings) a different color, because the few times I've tried to paint otherwise have been traaash ever since I got this arthritis in my hands.

But then a friend of mine (great guy, adore him) buys me a Knight. I'm worried I'm going to completely fuck up this nice gift... so I watch his series on painting Imperial Knights. The dude makes it look so god damn easy, and the simple, step by step instructions he gives make it so even a half crippled idiot like me can paint a solid looking mini. My Knight looks pretty damn good, and I lay that pretty much solely on his instructions and tips.
>>
>>48871077
was she welsh?
>>
>>48875027
Are you blind? She's Asian anon.
>>
>>48873032
this desu
>>
>>48875042
Can't asians be born and raised in wales? Or do they like, kill their tan or brown infant eery so often?
>>
>>48875538
Pretty much this
>>
>>48875687
Why does nobody care about the Welsh slaughter of asian babies
>>
>>48822591
>>
>>48875871
Or else. That needs to be appended.
>>
>>
>>48823783
but models are 3d...
>>
>>48875538
Asians and whales don't mix anon, look at the Wapanese, they kill them every chance they get, Christ anon, learn your world culture.
>>
But how can I get my model to look rrrrrrrreeally koohl?
>>
>>48875834
What happens in Wales should stay in Wales.
>>
>>48843816
>>
>>48873448
Don't know if this exactly works, but Duncan serves as the Bob Ross of GW. A lot of people are scared of the idea of painting since they think they lack creative talent, but Bob Ross showed them that you can still make good looking paintings with simple skills and basic techniques.

Duncan does the same for GW, his videos actually helped a few friends of mine get started with the hobby since they wanted to play the game but were intimidated by the painting aspect.
>>
File: izuBFNX6.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
izuBFNX6.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
>>48828033
>Emma

holy myspace angles
>>
>>48823272
I've usually used silvers with clear Tamiya's for that sort of thing, the gem paints fill the exact same niche basically, so yes, that should work fine. The tricky part will be the "glow" OSL effects.
>>
>>
>>48859942
>3 boxes of fire warriors and 3 crisis suits
More like 380, before paints.

>>48859445
Just don't play GW games, and the costs become a lot better.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.