[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That Guy Thread? That Guy Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 35

File: download (8).jpg (10KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
10KB, 266x190px
> Be playing 5e on the weekends at the FLGS
> That Guy is a horrible min-maxer.
> Somehow rolls an 18, 17, and a 16, decides to play a Half-elf so he has three 18's in his stats.
> plays a dragon sorc, takes the tough feat, and has an 18 in Dex & Con
> mfw he's playing a full caster with a 17 AC and 57 Hit Points at 5th level.
> mfw when at the earliest opportunity he attacks the party.
> Moon Druid buddy comes in though, turns into bear.
> Whole party ganks on him as Bear buddy soaks up damage like a sponge.
> Bastard dies without ever landing a hit on anyone except the druid, and didn't even land a permanent hit because of Wild Shape.
> Sorc dies, That guy cries. Ragequits.jpeg
> feelsgoodman.webm

Anyone else have a story about that guy, and if you got the better of him?
>>
>>48819261
Bump
>>
Our That Guy was a human piece of shit. He was awful to game with, but even worse in all other aspects.

>unbearably loud
>smelled like feces
>no concept of personal space
>desperate for attention
>incredibly petty

The worst of it was the one time I went to hang out at his house. The only tv was in his tiny room, so we go in. Holy. Fuck. The dirty clothes and trash were piled up so high that they were level with the bed. Because of this, the AC vents were completely covered and the room was ungodly hot and humid. Then, to top it all off, it was at this point that I discovered the depths of his laziness. Turns out that instead of getting up and walking the length of the hallway to go to the bathroom, he would just piss in the corner of his room whenever he needed to go.
>>
>>48819777
Holy shit... sounds like a lesser version of Luke.
>>
I'm not sure if he was a massive edge lord, read the wrong kinds of manga, or was a mega-autistic, but we had this one That Guy

>go to save the mayors daughter who was being held captive by Druids
>along the way back, he rapes mayors daughter, fade to black.
>when we get back to town and hand her over to papa, she denounced him for the rape.
>he's stunned. Absolutely flabbergasted. He's not sure why she hasn't turned into either a cock-hungry slut or so awed by his manliness as to harbor resentment.

Anyway, he got the boot.
>>
>>48819261
>18 Dex
>AC 17

Either 3 of that AC came from armor and he was using some kind of improved Studded Leather or Padded + Shield, or he was in Half Plate, in which case, why was his Dex so high?

What a shitter.
>>
>Marvel game
>Everyone is good guys or neutrals who recognise a common threat
>Hunting hydra agents
>New guy joins
>Rolls up
>Edgy powers
>Gets bored after about half an hour of game time and sells us out to Hydra
>Party gets ganked, GG, Game over.
>>
>>48820200
Dragon Sorc gets 13 + Dex for AC, basically passive mage armor. He got lucky on the stat rolls (though I wouldn't put it past him to fake it)
>>
>Playin champions
>Book literally says "It's easy to break the game, so don't."
>Guy complains I won't let him have a 16d6 Killing attack in a circle of 40 meters (basically a repeatable nuke with a safe spot in the middle) with a starting point allotment of 200 because "It's just a game".
>1d6 of killing attack costs 15 without modifiers.
>>
>>48819963
Oh god! Do you think it could have... Reproduced?
>>
>>48820454
Only if it was asexually... or it was some kind of spreadable virus. I say the latter, it's more Papa Nurgle's style.
>>
>this guy used to fart ALL the time during games
>like, I'm talking he laid more gaseous eggs than a spectral duck
>he'd swear it wasn't him but it was like at any moment there was a 1-in-4 chance he had a zone of silent-but-deadly around him
>only it wasn't even always silent
>at one point the DM is describing a boss and this dude starts up with the Ars Musica for like 30 seconds straight, and it's LOUD
>everyone stares at him
>he turns and stares at the one female member of the group, 10 feet away from him, as if we're all going to believe it was her
>the DM tried to bring it up to him in private to spare him embarrassment, but he insisted it wasn't him
>one day after the game is interrupted by yet another of this guy's Air Buds, the DM just says to him, "Look, I'm sure it's a medical problem, and that sucks. You really should see a doctor. But in the meantime, you have some serious gas, and I'm pretty sure it's only two or three times a session, so why don't you just excuse yourself? Nobody's judging you or thinks anything less of you because of."
>guy calmly gets up, gathers his things, walks to the door, opens it, stands on one foot, farts loudly and slowly, then shakes his leg like he's trying to shake the last of it out the leg of his jeans, then walks out
>we never see or hear from him again
>>
File: jeremy.jpg (61KB, 1264x1424px) Image search: [Google]
jeremy.jpg
61KB, 1264x1424px
I am That Guy

> friend starts a Savage Worlds campaign
> says it's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy
> doesn't seem to be that serious
> i produce Jeremy the Neckbeard Wizard
> has the Obese and Ugly traits
> Aged 31, gained his wizard powers from virginity
> fat neckbeard in fedora
> has acid blast spell using a 2 liter Mtn Dew he keeps tucked under his arm
> animates zombies, has the Edge that lets you animate them permanently
> I eventually invest in a katana and the Teleport spell so I can teleport behind the enemy and say "nothin personell kid" before slashing him apart with my katana
> spouted a shitton of internet memes until I pissed everyone off

I should've been less of a dick but it was a drop-in campaign for when people couldn't make it so no one gave a fuck.
>>
>>48820621
Did you piss them off in the last week or so? I thought you posted him like a week ago and said everyone thought he was funny.
>>
File: giphy.gif (3MB, 400x344px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 400x344px
>>48820610
>>
>>48820610
>>48819777
Ok, this is officially That Guy Thread: Nurgle's Blessed edition.
>>
>Playing dawn of gods campaign
>No specification on what kind of god we can create so I make this chillaxed god that hops between multiverses and likes to remain incognito as a citizen
>Play him as a relaxed god
>Most people are okay with it, some don't mind it
>But there's one faggot that just went ahead and went livid with the idea of a easygoing god
>Starts writing in the archives about how he's going to destroy everything I create calling me a faggot and how he's gonna have so much fun destroying everyone's stuff now because we didn't comply with the kind of god archetype he wanted
>Don't really care about him but make small changes so that we could actually play the game
>Finally day of the game
>My turn
>"I stand in front of a calmless patch of sea as I ponder to my-"
>"Speed it up nerd"
>It's a fucking text game where the host said we could RP as much as we want
>Now I'm pissed off at him
>Continue my RP as I wanted it to and calmly continue building shit
>That guys turn
>That guy rolls low on his points and can only create his dragon OC and a volcano
>That guy is fucking livid and saying that he'll never catch up to anyone and how fucking unfair the whole game is
>We try to calm him down just so we can continue the game
>That guy just goes on and on about how he might as well poop on a stick and do nothing
>In the end I get pissed too at him, we have a discussion, the game ends with only 1 or 2 turns passed and the whole game gets deleted a few days after

now that I'm typing this I just realized he probably was some scalie faggot since he made his goddess a chaotic evil dragon
>>
>>48819261
I knew someone who absolutely refused to play anything other that ADD 2
>>
>>48819261
There's two That Guy's in my party, either me, or this other guy. You decide, /tg/.

Me:
>talks about IRL before and after games a lot in an attempt to bond with my roll20 gamemates
>actively roleplays to the detriment of the party, will go off in other directions if my Lawful Good nature tells me something is wrong, etc.
>will do stupid stuff in combat in an attempt to look cool, like athletic checks, acrobatics checks, for no reason

Other guy
>metagames actively
>detours the DM's train of thought in the middle of a situation for metagame purposes
>for example, DM said somebody might be dying right now
>characters are sent to the armory, given weapons
>player wants to go somewhere else out of town to get another weapon he thinks is cooler
>whines a lot
>rerolled stats and told everybody only while everybody was talking to each other and I don't think anybody heard him

Is he being That Guy, or am I being That Guy and am I being more of That Guy for insinuating he's That Guy?
>>
>>48820621
>so no one gave a fuck.
Then you weren't that guy, dumbass.
>>
>>48819777
See, these obviously made-up ones don't work simply because no human being in his right mind would ever tolerate them in the first place.

What kind of retard goes to hang out at the house of a guy who smells like literal shit?
>>
>>48820610
I'm only commenting that your usage of metaphor of gastric release was rather splendid and made me chuckle.
>>
>>48821893
In that group, you're that guy, but you've certainly painted yourself to be a normal human. Consider joining a new group.
>>
>>48822783
I was trying to get involved and roleplay, but maybe sometimes I go a bit overboard. But at what times is it okay to be a dick and being in character and at what times is it being That Guy? I try to do it sparingly, like once or twice a session, but it's not like I'm counting.
>>
>>48819261
Why did he attack the party, anyway?
>>
>Friend does his own CoC campaign
>doesn't read the rules, or provide an edition for the players to use for reference
>basically we sit around and he rolls a d100 sometimes, usually forgets to add skills and the like
>it's actually pretty fun once we all get into it for the first couple meetings
>then the problems set in
>started with 3 PCs, another guy joins
>not bad, character is my PC's uncle so he has a reason to stick around
>the rest of us generally know each other so we have a reason to stick around
>my wife joins
>he can't think of a way to write her in so she's a lead that just randomly decides to tag along cuz reasons
>she later dies because of a shotgun blast to the head from a character who was a DMPC investigator who literally turned out of the blue
>okay whatever
>she rolls up a new PC
>bitchy librarian who can translate a little bit of eldritch
>this is where things get really stupid
>so she literally knows none of our character, and the DM hasn't thought of any reason why she should be with the group, along with most of the other characters at this point generally not having any direction
>my PC finds a mystical scepter
>i can blow shit up with it
>I CAN BLOW SHIT UP WITH IT
>we have to collect magical artifacts
>time freezes randomly so SPoookY things can happen
>just at random intervals everyone in the city will disappear
>instead of creating a creepy atmosphere it does the opposite, because he always lands us in the middle of public when we're doing something skeevy, meaning there's some huge chase scene with the cops (which he has to fudge us out of anyway because it's really fucking easy to lose to a shit ton of cops)
>we find magical ice and fire rings
>TO BLOW MORE SHIT UP SO SPOOKY
>shit ton of cops pull up to the building we're at because we were fighting monsters and RAnDoM SpoKy TimE SkIp
>we're fucked
>we try using our magical super powers
>>>>
Cont.
>>
>also forgot to mention the DMPC that was lolsorandum and did stupid shit like pull out slices of cheese from his pocket when he meant to pull out a notebook
>Apparently so did the DM because after his first appearance he never shows up again
>anyway I digress
>we're up against a shit ton of cops with magical artifacts and super powers
>we're actually winning
>DM freezes time again because this isn't scary at all
>the cringiest NPC I've ever played with enters the scene
>he's supposed to be Lucifer
>"I based him on the Lucifer from Sandman!"
>Oh like he's not actually super evil and is a well developed and nuanced character?
>Nah he just wears a suit and is a smooth talker, just like in Sandman!
>cringey "smooth talk" ensues
>awkard af
>just acts like a dick to all of the PC's
>"Oh go get the ancient artifacts you were already going to get!"
>Uhh okay
>"And give them to me!"
>He's obviously evil
>My character brings up how shady he's being, and asks why they should trust him
>"Who else do you have to trust?"
>Literally doesn't matter we were doing fine on our own?
>"Haha yeah well go bring me the artifacts kay ;)"
>Literally teleports us to the middle of nowhere
>BIG SPOOKY MONSTER IN THE FOREST TENTACLES OMG
>We outrun it after like an hour long chase scene
>one pc dies but oh well the player didn't like the character anyways
>we find an artifact
>one character tries to put on both the ice and fire rings
>instantly turns to ash
>Oh okay
>just me and my wife left
>we hear the monster again
>new artifact can see into the future
>see the monster is going to come eat us
>fuck that
>Lucifer gave us a teleport thing
>gave us no direction on where to go
>monster is closing in
>I guess we'll go back home
>go back to the city
>it's empty now
>nobody around
>magical room appears out of nowhere
>filled with books telling my PC not to trust my wife's PC
>all she sees is blank pages
>cont.
>>
>okay cool but my character is pretty high in sanity
>no reason not to trust the other PC
>no build up just this one random room telling me to kill her and stuff
>try to run with it for a bit but it doesn't really go anywhere
>instead try to find a place to sleep and rest
>okay make a perception (or whatever the skill is in CoC) roll both of you
>nothing happens
>go into a hotel
>alright roll perception
>nothing
>find a room
>okay roll it again
>nothing
>we lay on separate beds
>OKAY NOW YOU HEAR BUZZING THERE'S LOTS OF CRAZY BUG MONSTERS
>what how did we not notice these?
>run away
>wife gets bitten, starts slowing down
>I use my scepter to levitate her with me
>we're running
>suddenly Mr. Devil man
>He freezes me
>kils my wife's PC
>"I told you guys to look for more artifacts"
>literally no information on where to find them
>"Heh, these will have to do"
>takes all the ones we've gathered so far
>sends my character to another dimension to die
>oh okay
>"Alright guys we'll start next time with new characters"
>the mood has kind of died down, nobody is really into it
>around this time find the Fear Itself game
>show it to CoC friend because the ruleset is easy to learn and I thought some structure would help the campaign since everything was kind of haphazard (didn't phrase it that way)
>it also fixed a lot of problems the game was having
>Investigative abilities weren't done with rolls and instead were acted out in scenes (rolls could be used for bonuses) so no more ten rolls to see obvious clue
>risk factor mechanic gives players an in game and narrative reason to keep their characters in the game and not running away all the time
>points system made so only a six sided die is needed, and players keep track of their bonuses instead of GM (you basically spend points in a skill to boost your roll for the action, rather than having a static bonus like most games)
>Uhhh yeah I'll check it out
>Never reads it
>Okay fine I'll make my own campaign
>cont
>>
>i start writing a campaign loosely based around themes and art direction from Silent Hill and eastern European Surrealism (Beksinski, Ice Pick Lodge, etc)
>tell friends about it
>i'm getting pumped to get back into DMing
>have mild to sometimes pretty bad depression so sometimes it's hard to force myself to do creative endeavors
>actually having fun with writing notes for this though
>later
>playing Magic with my friends over Cockatrice and voice chat
>end of the night just CoC friend and one other dude
>start talking about campaign, explaining some of the rules and why I think they're cool
>"Nah the game sounds kind of stupid"
>Oh, why do you think that?
>"I don't like how there's no character archetypes"
>"But in the book it gives recommended archetypes for starting players."
>"Oh, I mean I don't like that there's no stats for min maxing, every character is so samey. If I put points in fighting and you don't there's a chance you could still beat me in a fight, that's so not fair"
>"But that's unlikely because if you're uninvested in a skill you get a penalty to it, or can't use it at all"
>"well I don't like how you use points to get skill boosts, i feel like I'll use all of mine at once to get a perfect roll and then be useless."
>"How is that the game's fault? The whole skill system is based on resource management, have you read the book?"
>"Nah it didn't really catch my interest"
>Go back and forth like this for an hour
>he eventually just goes quiet after the other dude chimes in to correct him too
>I try to change the subject and he hangs up the call without saying goodbye
>since then I've been to bummed to continue work on it because I'm afraid if he doesn't play nobody else will
>>
>>48823422
>since then I've been to bummed to continue work on it because I'm afraid if he doesn't play nobody else will
>lebufdoit.gif

This guy sounds like a megafag from how you tell it, anyway, so don't let him get to you. Just do your best to get the game up.
>>
>>48819261
my that guy story is sad.

Dude smelled bad, to the point he was banned from households because he stank up furniture. (per the wives)

DM was old friend, permitted this until he mouthed off about how he didnt want to see far ranged combat, because he made a fragile, close range tome warlock and was pissed we decided not to tank 6 hill giants and a frost giant shaman for him to blow his 2 spells on.

Used clever tactics to outsmart and outrange them.

He was pissed because he contributed nothing to the fight or the planning because he made a one trick pony with the depth of a kiddy pool.

Mouthed off. Wasn't invited back. Smelled good man.
>>
File: 1309130656596.jpg (9KB, 240x235px) Image search: [Google]
1309130656596.jpg
9KB, 240x235px
>>48820610
>Ars Musica
>>
>>48819261
I was That Guy for about a dozen sessions, prearranged with the DM.

I lied to the party about my character, pocketed stuff so as to not share with the group, made allies and contacts with powerful nobles while being a polite dick to the leader of the party. (who was a hoighty toighty nobleman who had anger issues because he got scarred in a joust and wrote bad poetry about it)

Eventually this lead to their betrayal to the dragon king and stealing the macguffin of the campaign to hand over.

Unbeknownst to the party, the DM wanted a home grown villain for them to hate, and they really hated Albrecht's guts.

He ended up being tortured in the most gut wrenching of ways for about 4 hours before being offed by an old lover. His 'nemesis' had arranged this after his capture, as he would have escaped again otherwise.

I was that guy because throughout all this they thought I was the straightman butler, until I started accidentally saving princesses and telling everyone I was someone or something else.
>>
>>48823422
depression is shit. something I've learned from my depression is you need to surround yourself with good people.

This jack ass is a bad person to be around when depressed, at least for your own endeavors. He doesn't sound very creative himself, he doesn't appreciate the work you put into your own campaign, and he cant be bothered to read the book.
I'm not saying drop this shit heel like a newborn baby into the nearest dumpster, but at least try to arrange a few games without him and see if it works.

Or try to explain how disheartening it is that he isn't even willing to put the most minor effort into your campaign. Ask him straight up if he wants to play, if not, tell him he's free to listen in but you're going to run your shit with or without him, and if he doesn't know his ass from his attack modifier it'll be without him so READ THE FUCKING BOOK SHIT HEEL.
>>
>>48823422
You only need a couple players for a GUMSHOE game. Just play with your wife and the not-fag from the call.
>>
>>48819963
>>48820506
Same fag would be from the north.
>>
>>48823525
If anyone came on here and bitched about that they would likely be calling "That DM."
>>
File: your friends are too creepy.png (66KB, 978x640px) Image search: [Google]
your friends are too creepy.png
66KB, 978x640px
>>48819777
>he would just piss in the corner of his room whenever he needed to go.
>>
>>48823617
Fair, but from their perspective it was probably me. They're aware of his involvement now, and my replacement character proceeded to be the broliest of muscle bro's so that made up for it I think.
>>
File: 1468589796874.jpg (855KB, 3000x1705px) Image search: [Google]
1468589796874.jpg
855KB, 3000x1705px
>>48819261
>finally get my friends to play did
>everyone rolls characters as best they can
>except that one guy
>creates a character as a parody of one of the members
>constantly breaking immersion with bullshit like trying to learn c++ in a tavern with chickens
>led the entire group on a plan to steal a chest being unloaded from the cargo ship they're on
>decide to engage the plan at 9 pm. I make it clear that the docks are still active and have many guards because change of shift
>fucker casts light to distract everyone. So the rogue could break in.
Would've e worked for half a second except that he casted directly next to the rogue as he hasn't gotten into position
>I pretty much hand them the cargo(cloth) before kicking them out of the city
Well that was an awful first session
>>
File: 1469762038705.gif (273KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
1469762038705.gif
273KB, 500x346px
>>48823495
Yeah I should just go ahead and keep up work on it, I've been trying to get back in the groove but here lately I've been feeling like I should find another group to play with anyway. A lot of the members are straight shit heads, and I'm pretty much just playing with them because I've known them for so long
>CoC guy is the kind of guy who plays Chaos decks in MtG to 'ebin troll people' then gets mad when nobody wants to play with his troll deck
>one guy is my upcoming roomate, he's pretty chill but is a bit of a rollplayer rather than a roleplayer, better for more combat intensive games
>another is an unfunny awkward guy who just kills the momentum of a conversation in 3.5 seconds
>last guy I thought was really cool but we had a falling out because he was trying to hit on my wife while she was drunk, then claimed it was her fault and he was just trying to "keep her in a positive headspace" (she has Borderline Personality, he's a psych major)

There's another guy who has a pretty bad case of social anxiety who I'm trying to get to play, he can be a bit much to deal with in heavy doses but he's really cool and just genuinely has trouble communicating with people.
>>
>>48823582
Yeah I probably should either just be straight or do a trial run without him.

I used to be a pretty argumentative person but now I try to avoid conflict as much as I can because it just gets me depressed, and I feel like anytime we talk he just wants to start an argument.
Like, if i give my opinion on something he'll say something completely dismissive or passive aggressive, then when I try to explain my point of view he'll act like he wasn't directing it at me.

>non /tg/ related example
>discussing Batman V Superman
>general consensus is that the movie wasn't very good, I thought it was bad but not the worst thing in the world, and there were some generally redeemable scenes that made the whole thing all around disappointing
>he thinks it's the absolute worst movie ever
>says it's the only movie that he's ever considered walking out of because it betrayed the characters so much
>I'm a little /co/, so I tell him how some of the "betrayals of character" that him and others were talking about were actually more references than anything, though still not very well thought out
>"Batman just kills dudes, that's not Batman dude!"
>uses the scene where he blows up the guys flamethrower as an example
>tell him that it was actually out of a scene in TDKR, though it was a bit over the top
>he doesn't respond
>later we're talking about the "MARTHAAA" scene
>I mention how it was dumb, but how I saw what they were going for and was disappointed because it was thematically neat but just was bad in practice
>"Yeah but just because something is a good idea doesn't mean it's good"
>"I didn't say it was good though"
>"I didn't say you said that"
>>>>>
Like why bring it up? I was the only one talking about the quality of the scene as an idea v in the movie, so it seems like he was making a remark at me, then he redirects when I try to explain myself.

Anyway, sorry for blogging, it helps me to vent.
>>
>>48824123
It actually sounds like he has beef with you but either realizes a) he shouldn't and has no filter, or b) is being a passive aggressive asshole.

Either way, run your game, if his friendship is important, sit him down and talk it out, if not just dont tell him you're running it. If he asks why he wasnt invited say he made his feelings and lack of interest pretty clear before. you thought thats why he dismissed your idea's and pissed on the system.
>>
>>48824145
Yeah I figured he kind of just stopped wanting to be my friend, he does this thing where he'll just kind of stop interacting with someone unless it's in a social setting with other people, and then he'll usually be sort of aggressive to them and never actually tell them what's the matter.
It mostly sucks because we've all been friends since like 2nd grade, and me and him in particular have been consistently going over to each others houses every weekend for like 10+years, then as soon as he goes to college he just stops talking to me and doesn't let me know when he's in town and shit.
Either way there's a dude at work who seems somewhat interested in being in a campaign, so I might see if he wants to do a planescape thing I was thinking of sort of based on Barelowe's inferno, so that will probably get me in the mood for more /tg/ stuff.
>>
>>48824281
whelp. All I can recommend is call him out on it. "Dude, we've been friends since 2nd grade, why are you throwing shade at me now?"

I mean, it seems like when he speaks up and says something dumb you shoot his ass down, so that might have something to do with it. Get his perspective and see if you can come to a mutually agreeable solution.

Good luck with it all matey. Your campaign sounds promising.
>>
>>48824301
Yeah, you're probably right, I guess what I might see as voicing my opinion he might feel is being a dick.
Thanks anon, I'll keep working at it.
>>
>That Guy thread
>Human moment of vulnerability on /tg/
>Good advice
>thisisnotthetgiknow.jpg
>>
>>48819777
Nice lie you told there.
You failed the DC necessary to fool anyone intelligent
>>
>>48820621
In this case everyone was That Guy but you.
>>
>Rolling up AD&D because nostalgia
>Guy rolls up stats just barely letting him be a paladin
>Another guy rolls good and gets to be a Ranger
>I see the two has-to-be-good classes in the party and decide my fighter is lawful good.
>ThatGuy throws a fit claiming that we are "suppressing him" by forcing him to pick something that isn't a lawful evil assassin.
>Even though his DEX is 11 and his INT is 16
>He has played nothing but rouges so far in any D&D edition.
>Have to basically force him to be a wizard so we don't have to leave his evil ass behind in-character.
>Picks Chaotic Neutral out of spite.
>In-Character is a total asswipe
>ends up stealing and burning the plot device because "It's what my character would do!"
>Complains he isn't having fun because he isn't evil
>>
>>48824794
Did you kick him from the group or what?
>isn't having fun because he isn't evil
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>48819963
Luke?
>>
>>48821893
>virtue-signalling

gaaayyy
>>
>In LGS
>With occasional party, that without their usual DM, are little more than roll players
>nobody so much as grunts towards anyone throughout the adventure. Just "I do this, and roll that" and the ocasional "le ebin maymay xD"
>We find a statue being worshiped by kobolds
>we kill the kobolds
>I notice the statue's head has two shiny jewels
>suddenly the orc says "we're not touching that"
>"uh, why not?"
>"it's a religious symbol and my character doesn't like touching religious symbols any more"
>"do that and my character will kick your ass"
>"roll intimidation"
>he rolled higher
>"you're intimidated, you can't go up there the dice says so"
>"the fuck is going on?"
>"it's religious"
>"uuuuh.... Can I roll religion?"
>"Sure"
>high roll
>"it's not religious"
>"it's not religious man"
>"I don't want to touch it, it's going to fuck us up"
>"Can I cast Detect Magic"
>It's not magical
>"it's not magical man"
>"I don't care, you're not touching it"
>"you can't touch it, you're intimidated. The dice says so"
>"Can I look for traps?"
>"It's not trapped"
>this asshole is just there shrugging convinced he's doing some epic role playing
>DM won't let me cast any of my social spells because "intimidated"
>I'm starting to turn into that guy as well for dragging the party into this drama
>"I grab him and drag him along away from the statue"
>DM forces us to walk away while the lvl 2 rogue tries and fails to climb the statue behind his back
>>
>>48825507

it sucks, because they're usually the best table at the shop, but without their DM to get them in line, it feels like they're there working of a job they don't like rather than playing a game
>>
>>48825385
I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have fun if he was evil. silly comparison.
>>
File: PlayersHandbookCover.jpg (22KB, 218x300px) Image search: [Google]
PlayersHandbookCover.jpg
22KB, 218x300px
>>48825507
Took me a bit to get it.
>>
>>48825404
Search for it on 1d4chan
>>
>>48819261
Playing with Dark Heresy with 3 Guys
>One guy plays a guy from Arakkis. In a raspy voice, he asks every single NPC for a glass of water.
>One guy sits there saying nothing except when he's directly asked.
>One guy follows the lead of the first guy and asks for a bowl of noodles from every NPC.

Playing DnD with 1 Guy and 3 Girls
>First girl wants to turn herself into an Elephant so she can squash halflings. That's the only thing she wanted to do the who game.
>Second girl is legit interested and doing her best, but thought combat was boring.
>Third girl was on her phone the whole time, but ended up being the most valuable asset to the party.
>Guy tries to have sex with every NPC.
>>
>>48825507
sounds like what a superstitious orc barbarian would've done, to be honest
>"Scary mojo. Not touch. Weak humies try to. Tell them not to. Weak humies say strange words. Make strange motions. Say not dangerous. Silly humies not know what talking about, Grok knows bad juju when he sees one. Scare humies into not touching."

Sounds like DM & orc were a bit of dicks about that, but still seems pretty in-character to me.
>>
>>48825683
>First girl wants to turn herself into an Elephant so she can squash halflings. That's the only thing she wanted to do the who game.
What's her name? I want to marry her.

>>48825683
>Has three girls that are at least borderline interested in geeky stuff in front of him in real life.
>Does a thing that's most likely to turn them off.
Was he gay or just terminally stupid?
>>
>>48825810
>Was he gay or just terminally stupid?
He has a GF now.
But oosh, it was weird.

I had him critically fail so that he'd stop.
>>
>>48825796

It was less barbarian role play, and more "Hey, give me all your magic shit for 1 gp. You can't say no, I rolled a 19 on persuasion"
>>
I may be that guy.
>Just started playing several months ago.
>Have my character sheet on my laptop to play at my lfgs. Though I never use my laptop for anything else while playing.
>Slow to roll and sometimes roll one die at a time.
>Also still get nervous and excited when rolling cause it feels dramatic.
>Sometimes I accidently interrupt the GM but feel really shitty for it and apologize.
>Treat the game too much like a video game still and have not clicked in on how I should roleplay more instead of metagame.

I'm trying to get better ;_;
>>
>Years ago
>Have regular gaming group
>Me (forever GM), three normal guys and one that guy
>That Guy is fat, irritating, min-max power gamer. The usual stuff.
>Playing AD&D
>Party is exploring a dungeon designed by paranoid inventor wizard
>That Guy plays evocation wizard
>All nuke, no utility
>Dungeon is full of traps and puzzles
>Party enters in empty room containing a treasure
>obvious_trap.exe
>Rogue fails to detect traps
>I'm feeling generous and tell the party that even when the rogue checked it it still looks suspicious
>That guy wants to open the chest
>I ask him that he is sure, because the chest looks suspicious, repeat my warnings etc.
>He insists
>*sigh* "roll for save"
>He fail
>The floor around the chest is rigged and as he opens the chest. His character is thrown in the air and he fall to the ground
>Takes only few points of damage from trap
>At that moment That Guy completely lost it. He screams and tears his character sheet in half
>Yells at me for five minutes straight
>Everyone is trying to calm him down
>"It's just a game" "only a few points of damage"
>I even negate the damage so we can continue
>Nothing works
>He storms out of the room and leaves
>Never returned
>Continued to play with our smaller group
>No problems ever whatsoever
>Everything went better than expected
>>
>>48825958

One could almost say that he got
Triggered
>>
>>48825925
If ur trying to do better your not that guy anon
>>
>>48824520
>>48822659

It's funny to think that our That Guy is so gross that people don't believe he exists.

As for the reason I went to hang out with him, he was a long time friend of ours. He used to be a lot of fun, and not disgusting at all. He got expelled in middle school after he threw a coniption fit when called out on swearing in class. When he came back freshman year, he was changed. We really wanted to still be friends, but he became intolerable as time went on. Going to his house was really the tipping point.

Also, after high school he went full Chris-chan and dresses like a woman now. Make-up, high heels, etc. But he's still a smelly, obese manchild.
>>
>>48823239
You're that guy for being the odd one out that gets in the way of the group-as-a-whole's fun. You can be That Guy for sitting in on the KKK playing a game and then suggesting that maybe racism is the wrong answer. You can be That Guy for suggesting to virt that you play something other than FATAL for the night. Being that guy doesn't reflect bad morals and poor life choices, only that you are the dude in a group that everyone else wishes would disappear from the table.
>>
>>48824318
>>48824301
he might just have an inferiority complex thing going on yeah
it's not exactly your fault, and you can't ever get him out of it because that'll only fuel that complex, but hopefully someone else would straighten it out if it indeed is just jealousy (I've seen it happen before, that shit is killer to friendships)
>>
>>48825385
He's too much of a limp-wristed faggot to change anything so we can mostly ignore his bitching.
>>
>>48826143
>read "conniption fit" as "coprolite"
That's enough of this for today, I think.
>>
File: boo.jpg (19KB, 231x300px) Image search: [Google]
boo.jpg
19KB, 231x300px
>>48825994
>>
>>48824145
>>48824281
>>48824123
He's jealous of you or in love with you.
>>
>>48820090

I don't get this story. You apparently thought it was ok for him to rape an NPC, which is the obvious line in the sand. But apparently not getting all emo about it afterwards is cause for eviction?

Can you at least say something to illuminate the thought behind this?
>>
>Planning a Mutants and Masterminds game
>Getting sheets in from players
>This one guy
>Wants his power to be "Power negation"
>Tell him no because thats pretty much the definition of anti-fun
>Gets salty at me
>>
>>48823495
>>48823422
Agreed. You're better off without him and everyone else should be well aware of that by now.
>>
>>48823729
>trying to learn c++ in a tavern with chickens
>kek
>>
>>48821893
By your account he's that guy, but you might be too if your group is being upset by your shenanigans. I think RP is important, but some groups prefer playing to win, and there is nothing wrong with that. Being that guy is about being disruptive.
>>
>playing vintage mtg at the shop
>against an obese dude with an open Mountain Dew
>he's wearing a fedora ironically
>keeps meming and tipping his fedora
>he's actually pretty cool and funny
>it's painfully obvious that he is using proxies
>like he printed them at home and his printer ran out of a certain color
>that's fine though. At least it's someone to play vintage with
>he loses the best out of three
>"okay okay let's make it best of 5. You only need to win one more game, but if I win I get your deck!"
>wtf no, but I'll make it best out of 5 just not giving you my deck
>mfw I get shit draws and lose 3 times in a row to this clown
>"HAHA NOW I GET YOUR DECK"
>he jump up super fast banging his knees on the table
>spills his 1 liter mountain dew on the table
>grabs my deck
>he's laughing like a madman,
>having a manic autistic episode
>WHAT THE FUCK DUDE I NEVER AGREED TO ANYTHING
>"Ahahaha jklol"
>he actually said those letter
>"you wanna play 52 card pickup?"
>w-wha-NO!
>he throws all of my cards really hard on the floor, they go everywhere
>a lot go under the tables we were playing on
>mountain dew slowly dripping down from tables
>What the fuck dude! These cards are expensive!
>I quickly go under the table on all fours
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur
>>
>>48826012
I guess i'm just paranoid that I am. Worked 60hrs a week for almost 3 years on solar farms which pretty much killed my social life and turned me into a shut in. Spent most of my free time sleeping and playing video games. At the start of 2016 I decided to try and start being social again by participating at my lfgs and meet new people. I really do have fun with D&D but at the end of each session as I go home I can't help but think of all the mistakes I made in the campaign and if my party hates me for it.

Though they recently invited me out to watch some movies.
>>
>>48827379
>playing vintage mtg
Stopped reading there. You're the That Guy
>>
>>48820642

Nah I didn't really piss them off, they just kept going "wow anon wtf stop" but they were laughing too. I only did the "nothin personell kid" thing once.
>>
>>48824488
Well, that's what happens when nobody brings up Virt.
>>
>>48822659
I work at my country's equivalent of the US Census Bureau. Part of my job includes doing household/home surveys to help determine my country's economic and social development and, because of it, I deal with a lot of people, and hear about/witness a lot of, and there's no polite way to correctly express myself in this matter, fucked up shit.

I'm aware that a lot of the stories told around here are either false or gross exaggerations, but I do not doubt, for a single second, that someone could live such a shitty life due to apathy/indifference, or mental health issues.
>>
>>48819261

Honestly, this was less "that Guy" and more "Severe autism at the table".

>Be at LGS
>There's this one guy who we often see hanging around, but never actually playing games with people. He buys a few miniatures, but again, never see him do anything with them, mostly just plays on some handheld game or another.
>Still, keeps to himself, is quiet, not disruptive or anything.
>In our game, we needed to hire a tracker since that was a skill nobody in our party had.
>DM decides (unilaterally) to offer this former NPC tracker dude to our loner as a minor PC, as part of an offer to show him the game, since he seemed lonely.
>And if he worked out, he'd join the party for real, and if he didn't, well, it's just one shortish mission we're doing, what's the worst that could happen? (And was possibly worried about GMPCing issues?)
>I wasn't there, but apparently took him a moment to grasp what the game was about, how it worked and everything.
>But next session, we sit down, and our tracker is a new player. Introductions all around, we get to tailing the hydra we're after
>Along the way, fight some random other monsters
>Tracker dude pulls out his bow, fires an arrow, misses.
>How could I have missed?
>Well, the dice plus your skill with the bow minus their defense says that you missed, sorry.
>But you said I was a skilled archer and hunter, and they're only (looks at tactical map) about 20 feet away. How could he miss that kind of shot?
>Trying to explain how the odds work, and that we're not automatically successful at everything we do.
>He's not angry or loud or anything, but just does not get it, and keeps saying over and over that it's "stupid" that he missed such an "easy" shot.
>>
>>48828341
sounds like you need to explain not very bad roll is a 'miss' bouncing off armour, the target dodging cause of high dex, getting caught in a shield are all equally viable alternatives for a roll not being good enough. You dont necessarily 'miss' but it wasent good enough to cause damage.
>>
>>48825925
We were all new at some point. I'm still pretty new but got a good start on roleplaying early on, so where I need to learn is mostly in the area of game mechanics.
>>
How about That DM?

>Complete newbies table
>Bring a friend in
>We play pre-made characters
>No healers anywhere
>welp, guess I'll play the paladin
>Friend is a huge x-men fan, so she plays sorcerer
>Session goes entirely as normal
>Everyone's learning how to play, and the adventure is pretty decent
>Flash foward a couple of hours later
>Final act is a chase scene to free the slaves
>It's really tough, and a couple of us almost die before the climax
>The day is saved when one of the fighters drives a runaway slave wagon onto the boss fight
>the rest of the soldiers flee
>We all feel pretty satisfied
>Suddenly we see riders in the horizon
>Party goes to hide
>I'm at my last HP, and I can't sneak for shit, but paladin, so I devise a standard RPG plan
>I tell my friend to hide in the bushes while I heal myself. If there's trouble, they'll attack
>They're drow riders
>They go "The hell are you doing with our slaves?"
>My partner is a drow sorceress
>Clearly this is the bit where the DM wants to teach newbies about diplomacy
>Obviously I call my partner in
>>
>>48829691
Please, do continue
>>
>>48829887
>>48829691
Seconded. That Guy is That Guy, whether a GM or a Player.
>>
>>48829691

>She's confused as hell at first, but quickly dawns on her what to do
>We're friends from Debate club.Persuasion, Performance and Deception improvised on the fly is something we do for a sport
>We're nationally ranked too
>Suddenly, she's excited as she hadn't quite been all game
>Commence Charisma class beatdown
>In a fraction of a second, she and I are suddenly the great Lady Drow of over here, and these are in fact *Her* slaves
>I'm her guardian, acting upon the will of my liege
>DM goes "What the fuck? Are you trying to talk to the drow? Are you crazy?"
>She rolls with me helping an 18
>The DM turns belligerent and it shows not only through his disdainful behavior towards our strategy, but also vicariously though them"Oh, ok, the drow believe you. And they go "So what, why should we care. There's only two of you"
>I go "And there were many of them. See what happened to them when they tried shit"
>belligerence intensifying
>the rest of the newbies don't get what's wrong with him
>"the drow goes "I see maybe one, two bodies" before a player goes "don't forget the nutella spread across the road""
>the dm gives him That Look
>"I don't see how we should fear that pittance"
>I go "Aye, you see two bodies."
>She goes "You that two bodies is all that there is left"
>tells me to roll intimidation like he wants to spit on me
>I point out she's the star in this show, I'm only the help
>she's got proficency
>rolls with advantage. Another ridiculously high number
>After that whole adventure, the rest of party is just delighted at our team improv
>DM notices this, and gets an idea
>DM starts pulling shit out of his ass that she and I can't see what "because we're doing the talking"
>The partys eyes go wide when he shows them a page from the monster manual and they quiet
>"The Drow go "maybe you are some one, we don't give a shit. You can take .. ten percent of the slaves, and leave, now"
>At this point, I'm just fucking confused. Why is this guy suddenly a dick?
>>
>>48829954
Definitely that dm
>>
>>48829993
Yup
>>
>>48829954
What happened next?
>>
>>48829993
>>48830029
Thirded.
>>
Does 'That Group' count?

>FLGS likes to let people play for free at their store, since fucktons of spare tables and it gets drinks/snacks sold
>Group of self-proclaimed 'semi professional' poker-players begins to grab a table and play cards regularly
>Any of them that weren't unwashed were reeking of hairgel and lynx
>Would never ask before claiming a table or pinching chairs from other tables
>Zero volume-control and no inhibition about swearing or talking about inappropriate subjects, even when parents are coming into the store with their kids
>Treated other patrons contemptuously, liked to talk loudly (as in 'I hope other people overhear' loudly) about how childish cardgames like Magic and YuGiOh are unlike their super sophisticated game of poker
>Staff were either ignored or spoken to condescendingly, one notable incident being when a player told one to bring him a drink from the fridge while snapping his fingers
>Made no effort to clean after themselves and left so many pringle-crumbs that you could gather them together and have your tube full again
The only reason they lasted so long was because they bought and drunk an absolutely terrifying amount of Monster while they were playing, but thankfully our manager eventually got enough sense to tell them to play somewhere else.

Oh, and the apparent leader of the bunch (I only assume since he always arrived first and was always dealing) wore a cowboy hat all the time. I have no idea why, but this pisses me off more than anything else.
>>
>>48829954

>Its a one shot adventure for beginers
>Its diplomacy at its best
>Its not like we're stalling or shit, these slaves were the point of the whole adventure
>My partner's excitement is still palpable, but it's starting to curb and I can feel it drop
>ohnoyoudon't
>Proeficency in intimidation
>"Are you idiots seriously trying to cause a war over some spider damned hummies?"
>suddenly the DM gets a boner I can see through the table
>"DID YOU JUST CALL DROW IDIOTS?"
>"They're drow. We're pretending to be drow court. It's how they say hello to each other"
>One of the other guys has a drow ranger main and goes "yeah, he's kinda right"
>The DM goes "The creature grapples the three you and drags you to the light"
>DM shows us the creature. It's a Chimera (CR 11 )
>I'm more fucking confused than ever. If anything, this proves we're doing the right thing talking this shit out.
>The back of my voice tells me to consider taking two slaves and run away
>My common fucking sense tells me we've been at this for three hours, this shit failure can't be the end of the adventure
>"The drows go "AND WHAT IS THIS? AN AMBUSH?""
>I say my character facepalms exasperatedly and ask "What the hell are you doing to the coach men?"
>The DM looks like he's about to explode
>He says two magic spider clerics drop from behind
>I mutter to my partner "Be ready to blow the fuck out of the locks and let whoever can escape try. I don't know that we're all going to survive this"
>"Coachmen? These lot? I smell a scheme"
>She goes "You can't bloody well expect a drow lady to drive her own coach in sunlight, can you"
>ROLL DECEPTION AGAIN
>17
>"The drow cast a flaming strike upon a chariot of slaves. They scream in pain inside of them as they look smugly upon you."
>"They go "So, do you still want these slaves? HMMM, HMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"
>I can taste the shit eating green from here
>The party isn't letting out a squeak. They also almost died in the final battle
>Not sure what to do
>>
>>48830293
Good god, this is horrifying. I almost want a bel-air at the end just so I don't have to believe this is real.
>>
>You're a Paladin Harry. You gotta try to save the two carriages who are left
>Once a line has been crossed, the only refuge is in audacity
>The DM is sure he has defeated me
>I pull down a piece of parchment and write down an invoice for a "5000 GP" quoting "Property Damage" and hand it to them
>His face changes
>Looking at me with a "surely, this guy must be retarded"
>I go "By all means, break the larder, but there's more where that came from"
>The DM goes quiet. He doesn't flip his lid, he doesn't turn the table, he doesn't tell us to leave
>We're at a con, he was contracted by the shop, he's doing a job.
>Surely, he'll make me roll an Intimidation ( Greed), right?
>Without missing a heartbeat, he goes "The drow pulls out his flail and chokes you with it
>Wait what?
>The Chimera looses a breath of fire. You all loose counsciousness
>wait what?
>As you fade in and out, you realize you are being dragged down to the underdark
>what, what?
>"THE END!! HEY GUYS, I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR FIRST SESSION OF DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!"
>wait, what?
>my friend is going "the fuck, we worked so hard!"
>"YES, THIS HERE AT THE END WAS A TYPICAL D&D CHOICE, THAT DETERMINED YOUR ADVENTURE NEXT WEEK"
>next week? What?
>YUP. IF YOU HAD ESCAPED THE DROW, YOU'D HAVE GONE ON TO THE TOWN AND AN INTRIGUE BASED ADVENTURE. BUT BECAUSE THEY GOT YOU, YOU GET TO ESCAPE FROM THE UNDERDARK
>it dawns on me
>all this time
>this is so he could have his shitty sequel hook
>there was never any chance to talk this this shit out, we were always going to have to be forced for this
>he just got fed up with this shit and couldn't handle having to move his ass and get creative
>I look at my friend and its like the air was visibly blown out of her chest
>rest of the party is looking away awkwardly
>DM is pretending nothing happened and trying to shake hands with the players before fucks off the shop's stands to brag and talk about his fantastic adventure
>>
>>48830536
Jesus, man... What an asshole
>>
>>48830536

>we shuffle off to see the rest of the con which is closing down as we left the table.
>We missed a lot of the stuff while we were playing, but we catch just a bit of the tail end
>My friend says she enjoyed the experience, except for that end bit that really bugged her
>Soon after, we go to a table corner, I show her some of my minies, and try to get her excited about creating her own character
>Some energy comes back to her, like she gets really invested to try again with a character of her own instead of a pre-fab
>weeks pass by
>she never comes by again
>I'm a little gutted, finally I would play with an actual friend
>bright side though
>neither does That DM

The end
>>
File: HMMMMMM.gif (23KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
HMMMMMM.gif
23KB, 165x115px
>>48830293
>HMMM, HMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Fuck, this guy sucks.
>>
>>48827413
>that spoiler

You're fine man, just keep trying to improve and don't let mistakes bother you, remember they're just as human as you are.
>>
>>48830536

jesus, this just took all the energy out of me

Anon, you might be literally too depressing for a depresion sharing thread
>>
>>48830624
Goddamn Adventurer's League. Me and two other guys are planning on going to one across town, basically min-maxing our characters, then breezing through the prepared material in an attempt to force the DM to improvise.
>>
>>48828341
Say the guy dodged it. If he was 20 feet away, unarmored, and facing away, would you have made him roll? The correct answer is "no" if he's even proficient with the weapon.
>>
>>48820828
What game system? Searching Dawn of Gods just turns up a shitty mobile game
>>
>>48831931
I bet it was some homebrew shit. The closest system I can think to that is Microscope.
>>
>>48831578
>Implying you can't beef something simple
>>
File: 3bglyBB.gif (1004KB, 299x193px) Image search: [Google]
3bglyBB.gif
1004KB, 299x193px
>>48832059
You can, but at that point, why not make him roll to see if he falls on his face? Why not make every RPG "shitty infomercials: the RPG?" I mean, pic related is technically possible to accidentally do.

At the very least, the odds of his missing should be less than the 5% granted as a minimum when rolling an attack roll in D&D.
>>
>GM wants to translate an Anima BF game to 5e
>>
>>48826143
Named daniel?
>>
>>48819261
>> Somehow rolls an 18, 17, and a 16, decides to play a Half-elf so he has three 18's in his stats.
>> plays a dragon sorc, takes the tough feat, and has an 18 in Dex & Con
>> mfw he's playing a full caster with a 17 AC and 57 Hit Points at 5th level.
Literally nothing wrong with this, like at all
>> mfw when at the earliest opportunity he attacks the party.
This is where you should have started, your first points are completely irrelevant
>>
>>48832377
>Literally nothing wrong with this, like at all
Here's where you're wrong
>Full caster has the equivalent of platemail while completely naked and without Mage armor.
>Has same or more HP than the Martials
>Half of his base stats are 18's.
>>
>>48832492

Not him, but that's a problem with rolling for stats and intraparty balance, not That Guyism.

He could be the sweetist, kindest, coolest bro at the table, and still have rolled lucky and come up with an uber-character.

The two are separate issues
>>
>>48832492
>Boo hoo he rolled high
Use elite array then, fagget. If you don't like people having three 18s, don't use the system that allows him to have three 18s.

Also
>Be bladesinger wizard with elite array and tough feat
>19 AC and the same HPs as the fighter
Next time you complain remember he was playing nice
>>
>>48832492
>So whe're playing this game that if you roll a 20 you win, and this minmaxer rolled a 20 and won, he's such a that guy because he rolled high, fuck him for getting a high number on randomly rolled dice
>>
>>48824794
>rouge
I feel you my dude but fucking don't
>>
>>48832629
So what you're saying is if I cheat 3 18's onto my sheet I'll be better than anyone and I get free blowjobs and can attack the party?
>>
>>48819261
>Rolling for stats
>In 5e of all games
That's like starting the game with a roll that determines how many Feats you get to buy over the course of your career. Oh wait, it's exactly that!
>>
>>48832101
>Trackerautist detected
We are on your... track
>>
File: The Mistress of Edge.gif (332KB, 357x662px) Image search: [Google]
The Mistress of Edge.gif
332KB, 357x662px
I've met a few That Guys, and even That Gals, both years back and recently. Hell, I've been that guy myself. There's a lot to list in one thread, but my friend wants me to go ahead and talk about one in particular: Ravah.

Ravah is pretty much the definition of pic related. Her race is a custom half vampire half-demon from 3.5 so bad that not even the homebrew trashcan that is dndwiki thinks it's up to quality. You can even see for yourself here:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half_Demon_Half_Vampire

Her character's personality comes straight out of a bad 90s comicbook akin to Lady Death or the original Glory comic. Somehow, with a party full of clerics, she manages to play a Neutral Evil Anti-Paladin who wears her alignment on her sleeve. Of course, it helps to have several enablers.

She has taken an absurd share of the loot for our party. Thanks to disregard of the Attunement rules, she has: nine lives stealer, flametongue, a magic glaive, a ring of protection, possibly a ring of fastness/haste she hasn't used once, and a circlet of blasting among others I might have failed to mention. That still wasn't as nearly as bad as the DM giving her double benefit of her anti paladin damage boost from CHA due to being "undead" (yet she somehow gets healed and revived, OH, THAT REMINDS ME).

Due to refusing to listen to the advice of the party, she has died or gotten near death multiple instances. Player gets very upset and makes things personal when she suffers the consequences of her bad play, even when my character successfully beat her in a spar. There was also one time she had metagame'd knowledge on a Balor's self destruct, yet set it off on all of us anyway because "muh character".

But the DM is the one that allows this stuff to happen, but that'll be discussed next post.
>>
>>48832777

Man, I bet this joke has been done to death, but now I want to play a Moulin Rogue
>>
File: 1401049887439.gif (12KB, 343x293px) Image search: [Google]
1401049887439.gif
12KB, 343x293px
I have a That Guy-related question.

Obviously playing a character who is crazy is often used as an excuse by That Guy to be a dick to the rest of the party, but what if you're playing a character who is crazy but also still an asset to the party and doesn't hinder them? Am I still that guy?
>>
>>48833101
>a Moulin Rogue
Much, the Miller's Son?
>>
File: 11221-11028-10932.jpg (19KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
11221-11028-10932.jpg
19KB, 480x270px
>>48820090

...why did you let your PC rape an NPC?
>>
>>48832940
>If I cheat 3 18's
I'm starting to think you were that guy who was jealous of the other dude rolling high and you came up with the story of him attacking the party.
>>
Pathfinder game with randoms online
I was being That guy
>Our party starts in a tavern
>Im playing paladin because im nub and wanted to have heal and strength
>GM told us before hand that we can be a bit creative
>Suddenly zombies start coming to tavern
>Remembering GM's word i roll to throw table at the zombies
>Roll succeeds i get 2 of the zombies with the table (they don't die but are wounded)
>Party doing their thing trying to fight off zombies
>Groups caster suggest we scooby doo the fuck out of the tavern
>I remember im paladin and that there are civilians still alive being attacked by zombies
>"As paladin i have to try to help them don't i?"
>GM bit reluctantly agrees
>I stay to fight, group is forced to stay fight too
>Zombies finish off the civilians in tavern, finally can escape
>I use table as battering ram to push past zombies
>We reach behind tavern, there is stable near by with horses and cries of civilians can be heard all around
>GM describes 2 civilians being cornered by zombies a bit further away from horses
>(oh boy here i go again) "Ill run towards them to try and save them"
>Im already bit wounded from earlier exchange
>Group follows me to try and save civilians
>Civilians die before we can reach them, now zombies are coming from the back of the tavern
>The zombies who were killing civilians also notice us
>Rush past zombies trying to bull rush past them
>Successful roll i clear a path for the horses and we get away
>We reach edge of town where we see a robed figure with strange glowing staff surrounded by zombies
>(Oh boy mini boss time!)
>We dismount and i charge in to tank the robed figure
>Robed figure casts weird spell that causes a magical dome appear around him that cannot be seen through (described as large dome that didn't move)
>I attempt to walk through dome, i pass through
>Team is a bit behind me rogue got in other 2 were still behind the dome
>As i enter i get greeted with a roll for magical spell to the face
>I survive but get hit
>>
File: 0 mad.jpg (106KB, 640x718px) Image search: [Google]
0 mad.jpg
106KB, 640x718px
>>48833133
The fact that you're actually stopping to ask that question makes about 0% worried you'll be That Guy. As long as you're not doing That Guy things, you're not That Guy
>>
>>48833222
>I charge to melee range of the robed figure ignoring the zombies
>Rogue is intercepted by zombies
>The other 2 come through dome to help rogue
>I roll for disarm (i know im dumbass)
>I succeed, then realize im paladin and ask if it's dishonorable action to attack unstaffed caster
>GM agrees that it is dishonorable
>I wait there like a jackass for the robed figure to pick his staff back up
>Team is finishing off the zombies
>I attack the robed figure but rolled like shit
>Team saves my ass from dying
>We finish off the robed figure
>We end the Town part of our adventure (the group didn't play another session to my knowledge)
>Nearly 0 RP in the session thanks to my jackassery
I tried but i WAS playing a paladin, i should a just rolled fighter
>>
>>48833133
They're two different kinds of crazy. You're envisioning "story crazy", where the character's mentally ill because that makes it more fun for everybody. That Guy's using "excuse crazy", where he just uses it to blame all his asshole shit on because that makes it more fun for him at everybody's expense.

Basically, the rule of thumb works like this: if you're not trying to use the kind of genius plan based on pedantic autismo-literalism that a three year old or Sovereign Citizen thinks will totally outfox The Man in order to get away with awful bullshit at the table, you're fine.
>>
I'm that guy, I always minmax hard my character I always play support characters, see Bards with inspire courage over the roof and stuff like that
>>
>>48833222
Nah dude, you were good.

Paladins protect others, regardless of the consequences.
>>
>noobs ITT worrying they were That Guy for pretty small stuff
You know, obviously it's not really great that you guys think this but I have to say, it warms my heart to see you be so anxious to be good players that contribute positively at the table.

Does anybody have the Denko 2.0 screencaps saved so we can show these guys the true meaning of That Guy?
>>
>>48833072

The DM is ultimately the one who allows the PC to be revived despite having her brain sucked out and the cleric not having the proper materials to cast Revivify. The DM is the one that makes the campaign take a U-turn to pander to her character's bloo bloo backstory with her edgelord, one-dimensional abusive father. The DM is the one who creates moral tests that allow Ravah to take the Good-aligned legendary weapon despite choosing the Evil-aligned artifact beforehand. (Luckily, I was lucky enough for other players to call bullshit along side me and she got nothing in the end).

All it takes for That Player to be a problem is a That GM. However, as fucking annoying as that can be to put up with, I don't really hate Ravah but just dislike her. I still think it's rather rude to have a character to be an indulgent fantasy without considering everyone else. However, the one that really hated Ravah's guts was the guy that warned me about her beforehand. There's more than this character limit can handle, so find out next post!
>>
>>48833193
Not the same guy. Just that getting 3 18's is grounds for rerolling stats.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 960x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 960x743px
>>48823729
> learn C++
The Special Snowflake of computing languages
>>
File: 1422167218294.png (33KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1422167218294.png
33KB, 510x546px
>>48827379
>>
>>48833601
Why? If you have good stats, the whole party does better at whatever it's trying to do.
>>
I'm wondering /tg/ say for instance we had a story of a player who kept trying to fight the party at every turn, stealing from them, attempting to kill them, and the party kept killing him every time. Would he be the That Guy or would it be a That DM for constantly bringing his character back to life and allowing him to play?
>>
File: 23b.jpg (61KB, 599x599px) Image search: [Google]
23b.jpg
61KB, 599x599px
>>48833587
His character Derrin hated her the moment she stepped into the spotlight. I don't blame himeither considering that this was how she introduced herself:

She first does these CUHRAZY acrobatics and says "What reason do I have to join you guys?" and Derrin gives the only logical answer of "Why are you asking us? We don't need you. That's your decision."

His character, when she was flying in the air with an ally in grip while in her "demon form", Derrin "mistook" her for the enemy as shot a crit with his rifle straight into one of her asscheeks. He shot her again when she tried to get pissy. Surprised they never managed to kill each other.

When she was being an overtly violent edgelord while interrogating a Drow cultist, Derrin also rightfully shot her glaive's head clean off with yet another crit. Yet, that was also how she got flametongue...

At one point while trying to avoid a sniper, she also tried to loot that shit as soon as possible before Derrin could get to it. Luckily Derrin was a Rogue with a Dash as a bonus action.

Playing an edgy character is one thing, but greedy metagaming like that plus the Balor shit sickens me.

There was also several instances where she'd just be antagonistic in character for absolutely no reason even when people tried to she her side. She "joked" about kidnapping Derrin's daughter right after he found out his wife got kidnapped.

She also constantly accused of my Keeper of The Elder Sign ex-cultist for being a hypocrite when pointing her very obvious evil and feral behavior, including the time she decided to "chew on her father's head" as a sign of dominance.
>>
>>48833846
>whynotboth.jpg
Oh, and if you never talked to him OOC about it, then ironically, your That Guy is the least terrible one there.
>>
>>48833304
>GM agrees that it is dishonorable
Why? It's a goddamn caster.
Do you also do the same when you're fighting against a monk?
>>
>>48834181
Well we went with the logic that it was the casters weapon,
and attacking weaponless opponent is dishonorable.
And i have never been in a campaign where id have to fight monks but their fists are their weapons,
so i guess they are impossible to disarm in a way.
>>
>>48833769
Roll 3 3's? Reroll. Roll 3 18's? Reroll.
Balance is balance, good and bad.
>>
>>48833769
Not really. It creates divisions in the party both IC and OOC when someone gets to constantly overshadow each and every other party member at their own jobs.
>>
>>48834276
Unless it's a premade adventure, you can adjust it such that you can't rely on good stats to win.
>>
I think it's that guy but.

>Constantly stinks
>Refuses to wear deodorant because "I'm ok with my body smell. You should be too"
>Once destroyed a friends bathroom, who refuses to host anymore.
>One time we had him pick up a player, the guy pulled up, jumped out and ran to the bathroom to hurl. Apparently he had tons of trash and food in his car..middle if summer.
>Tries to always use a homebrew, no matter what game we play.
>Tried to homebrew a Resident evil umbrella soldier in CoC, immune to sanity loss and had permits to carry any weapon, plus interrogate any civilian for any information.

>He heard I liked clerics as my class
Because clerics are tanky, can heal, and are really cool obviously.
>He makes a druid, and orders me to not play a healer class, be sure he is the healer
>Druids Wis:11 druids dex/STR/con: 18
Healer my ass.
>Tried to play a monk/blood mage at level one because blood mages homebrew stated it's lvl 1 starts with a free level in monk.
>Starting hp: 37 because he adds monk hp die to his blood mages d12 hit die. Plus he gets base con additional hp, not modifier.

>Whines when I sick a swarm of dire vampire mosquitos because he killed a mind player at lvl 1
>The mind flayer was friendly
>The mind flayer was their escort quest.
>He refused to campaign with any non human characters, tries pk daily.
>My group ties his character up before each night. Sick of his shit.

>We ask him to stop or be nice or just stop stinking and he bitches until it's over.
>In 2 days I get to kick hin from the group because his best friend isn't defending him anymore.

Actually now that I'm thinking of it, would cleric be the best choice for a healer/warrior type?
>>
>>48834275
There is literally no need for him to pick up the stuff.
He would just attack you with fire and shit.
>>
>>48834316
>would cleric be the best choice for a healer/warrior type?
What edition?
>>
>>48834316
The best?Yes.Clercis are ridiculously good,and what you said you wanted sounds right in the class's alley
>>
>>48834357
3.5 d&d mostly
5th edition d&d recently.
>>
>>48834464
3.5 had an insane number of splats, so I don't know, but of the core classes, yes. In 5e, life cleric = EVERYBODY AT FULL HEALTH ALL THE TIME.
>>
>>48834399
>>48834518
Thanks for the info
>>
>>48834518
In 5e I play Senzu daddy
>Druid 1/Life cleric X
My goodberries heal 4 HPs each, that's 40 HPs per spell (10 berries). At level 2 that's insane.
>>
>>48834842
I want to play in a silly campaign where a character who's basically that, and a fighter or something are best friends, and they act like the dudes from Goodburger.

"Welcome to goodberry, home of the goodberry, may I take your oooooorder?"
>>
Can That Guy ever be the DM?
>>
>>48835322
For the 1000th time I've seen this, yes.

There are several posts in this topic that give examples of just that.
>>
File: asga3.jpg (120KB, 1200x1264px) Image search: [Google]
asga3.jpg
120KB, 1200x1264px
>>48819261

>be GM for a 5th level pathfinder game
>Party consists of Magus, Sorcerer, Cavalier, Druid, and Barbarian.
>That Guy playing a CN catfolk Sorcerer
>Fat as fuck, extraordinarily obnoxious
>casts mostly Reduce Person and Enlarge Person
>Won't stop making dick jokes
>will spend all the party's money on pigeons unless stopped

>Introductory session
>go to defend a parishoners house from grave robbers
>Group goes to house
>guards let us through
>Catfolk jumps through window yelling “I’m going to rape you”
>Residents terrified
>asks the guards to help
>The sorcerer is now talking to the town guard
>sorcerer: "Aha, but I've clearly got animal magnetism. Ffffffffffffffff..."
>sorcerer stumbles around, drunkenly threatening guards with fire magic
>guard appears to be apathetic, tells sorcerer to wrap it up
>in a fit of rage the sorcerer confronts the guy
>ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.jpg
>throws his axe at him.
>of fucking course he misses
>have to run away from town
>everyone loading up into a wagon, but they don't see the sorcerer
>A gondola full of guards pass by
>Hilarious 30-40 minute Benny Hill-esque chase
>General confusion over what to do next
>Sorcerer finally shows up
>seconds later the sorcerer fucking fireballs them all to death, which results in the non-player guards to pincushion the idiot with crossbow bolts
>roasted
>Crowd begins vomiting
>The sorcerer then does something none of us really expected.
>The sorcerer is contacting some devil and rolls pretty well on his social checks
>Stunned silence all round the table, someone asks 'for god's sake WHY?'
>he rambles about how he got mouthfucked for nothing
>Magus (smug): "Would you like a Grease with that whine?"
>entire party loses it in laughter
>the sorcerer, unable to comprehend what he just witnessed, stares at me in confusion
>His frustration began to mount as my unblinking eyes started to water
>That Guy throws a fit, his face turns red with fury and storms out.
>mfw
>>
>>48832346
His name was David.

My roommate just reminded me of a few other things he used to do. During school lunches, he'd go digging through the trash looking for food. Not because he was broke/hungry, he just wanted attention. And to make sure nobody missed it, he would hold whatever he found high in the air and shout "WHO WOULD WASTE GOOD FOOD LIKE THIS!?" Every. Time.

Also, he would creep in girls. He'd get right in their space and follow them to class. If he thought she was cute, he'd poke her with his nasty, poop fingers. He thought this was flirty. If he REALLY liked her, he would draw inflation pics of her and present them proudly to her. Like, he seriously thought women would be flattered to get a gift like that.
>>
>>48835763

Shit that never happened.
>>
>DM starts arguing with his mom over the microphone
>>
File: 1458891668123.gif (1MB, 237x336px) Image search: [Google]
1458891668123.gif
1MB, 237x336px
>>48835692
>"Would you like a Grease with that whine?"
???
>>
>>48836632

It's a riff on "would you like some cheese with that Whine".
>>
>>48833534
Abs guy?
>>
>>48834181
AAAAaaaand this is how every thread turns into a paladin falling argument on /tg/.
>>
>>48831931
Dawn of Worlds. It's less of a game and more of a worldbuilding exercise with points. It's fun. I played it with friends and the oldest race in the world, made when all things were yet young, were the mighty Gorrilloids.
>>
File: 1457127075122.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1457127075122.gif
1MB, 268x274px
Is it just a circumstantial That GM?
>other player has constant GM attention/aggro
>playing prissy, fruity paladin/aegis in a gestalt game, hired by my character
>GM constantly trying to embarrass the character and throw him into the spotlight
>consistently trying to rile him up in various ways, i.e. last session he was chosen to have a sword stuck to his arm just after he paid tonnes to have an interesting custom sword made with absolutely no resale value due to how it's made
>constantly has NPCs and situations made to try to bring a rise out of the paladin
>other player has confessed multiple times he's tired of the spotlight and has noticed I've basically become an accessory (alongside the rest of the party, but we joined together with a duo of employer/bodyguard)
>he's also spoken to the GM about this
>GM isn't listening, still sticking paladin into the spotlight of various things
>>
My pathfinder party has been need up with two That Guys.
We have one guy who is playing a completely broken class/archetype who can do wipe the floor with basically any enemy, so the rest of the party just exists to support him. This wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't for the fact that he loves to gloat about how overpowered he is. If another member of the party tries to do anything he insists on following along and using his broken class features to outperform them. He's sneaker than the rogue, more acrobatic than the swashbuckler, does more damage than the dos, more resilient than the tank, and he loves showing it off.
The other That Guy is the tank. He has repeatedly abandoned other pc's because "it's what my character would do".
The most recent incident of this was when we were fighting a bunch of guys in the woods. I said to him, "you fight the dogs, and I'll shoot the guy in plate".
He decided, "the dogs are your problem, I'm challenging this guy".
"But I'm a ranged character with little to no melee ability. If I have to fight two dogs I'll fail hopelessly, die, and end up having contributed nothing to the fight."
"Not my problem"
>>
File: muscleman_shirt_twirl.gif (151KB, 247x272px) Image search: [Google]
muscleman_shirt_twirl.gif
151KB, 247x272px
>>48825683

>That Dark Heresy group
>>
File: resident_evil_hunk.jpg (79KB, 713x950px) Image search: [Google]
resident_evil_hunk.jpg
79KB, 713x950px
>>48834316
>Tried to homebrew a Resident evil umbrella soldier in CoC

Unless you name has either the words hunk, Kennedy or Redfield in it, your still going lose your shit. umbrella mercs lose it all the time, with the notable exception of the professional that is hunk which I sincerely doubt that this guy is
>>
>>48819261
>5e campaign
>That Guy is playing some kind of custom tree-person race created by the DM, seems pretty balanced
>rolled a Druid because he heard someone say off-handedly that Druid is the most OP class
>couldn't come up with a name, went with Terry the Tree
>literally goes by Tree
>has no real motivation beyond his usual vague sense of "winning D&D"

>another player is a Human Light Cleric
>obsessed with obtaining money so that he can re-open his local church back home
>curt and abrasive, speaks with a hilarious South Boston accent

>explorin' a half-sunken ship, lookin' for loot and what-not
>split up
>Cleric finds something valuable, stashes it
>That Tree Guy knows this OOC, and tries to IC, despite being at the other end of the boat
>rolls to perceive the hidden goodies
>fails
>decides he is suspicious anyway
>bothers the Cleric
>"Fuck off ya mook I'm swimmin' here!"
>get back to local town
>Tree continues to bother Cleric, who tells him to fuck off
>gets frustrated
>lights the guy's house on fire
>gets arrested
>as he's being led away, cries out
>"WAIT! I HAVE SOME INFORMATION!"
> ?
>"THAT GUY HAS SOMETHING!"
>everyone just stares at him, confused

And so a walking, talking tree was put in jail.

I forgot to point out that he had expended all of his Wildshapes for the day, the last one being a (failed) attempt to spy on the cleric, as a squirrel. There's more if there's interest.
>>
>>48825683
your second party reminds me of my very first group I ever gm'd for

4 girls and 1 (very gay) guy
>first girl played as no intelligence child-like dragonborn barbarian
>second played as a ranger who tried to sleep with anyone she had a pleasant conversation with
>third played as a fucking polar bear who was also a wizard, I guess and never really understood what was going on
>fourth girl had the most dnd experience and was a rogue who FUCKING REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL
>guy was a puppet warlock brought to life who thought that it was actual literal death
>>
Holy shit i played with a group a while ago and one guy was a combination between edgy faggot and shitter. To make matters worse he would also constantly challenge the GM or do things to fuck with the game.

>Walking along roads to get to a town in need of help
>GM:You see a woman run from the forest not watching infront of her clutching her bleeding arm staring back into the fore-
>Tard:I shoot her in the eye with my short-bow!
>Group:Why?
>Tard:I dunno shes probably a witch or something
He also seems to enjoy killing NPC's that are plot related when he can get away with it.
Most retarded tho was.
>We're all lvl 7
>At largest city in the land to speak with a king about enchanted gear to help slay some cultists/summoned demons
>Kings sends us to a creepy shack barely outside the city
>Tells us of all the mystical weapons he has ranging from simple +1 longsword that never dulls too dagger that allows user to turn ethereal once a day.
>Mentions dangerous cursed weapons which immediate peaks autists interest
>Demands to see them and finally decides on what is supposed to be the most dangerous
>Khopesh sword the guy found in far eastern lands
>Covered in permanent dry blood spots, Said to damage the souls of those killed by it, Was used by a evil tyrant
>Hits all of autists edgy notes he wants it
>Man brings up that it brings horrible luck to those who wear or use it and will always end up killing the user someday
>Autist accepts it then smiling at the dm says after he WEARS it he cuts his own throat with his dagger
>"LOL guess that curse is bs amirite XD"
>Says he wanted to make a new PC anyways
>Rages and leaves when hes informed he will start at lvl 1
>>
Why do the GMs let that guy fuck over the party in so many cases. This for example >>48820217
I'd tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>48833304
>Nearly 0 RP in the session thanks to my jackassery

More like nearly 0 RP because your DM decided it was time to run away from zombies all day.
>>
>>48830624
Did you at least creampie her?
>>
File: gary.png (168KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gary.png
168KB, 500x375px
>>48820610
did you smell him later?
>>
>>48839682
do it
>>
>>48833304
You could have attempted to grapple him, act like a cop.
>>
>>48835763
David... Willis?
>>
>>48839682
Sure, go ahead.
>>
>>48835322
We call them That GMs
>>
>>48839682
>Druid
>The most OP class
Land druid is meh as fuck, Moonion druid is pretty good, outclasses martials at low level (1-5) after that deals less damage than martials but soakes damage like no one. Tank caster, low AC but lots of HPs.

I remember a situation just like that
>Be LE sorcerer in a group of Neutral/Good
>My character adjustes to an agreement and works for the benefit of the party, a group of mercenaries
>Mission is to retrieve a human sized gold statue from the local church and give it to the monks outside the city because the city is being under siege by the lowest class
>During the escape we got made and everybody decides to stay behind and put me in charge of leading the cart to outside the city
>Give statue to monks
>Me "So, where's the reward?"
>Monks "there wasn't any, didn't your boss told you?"
>Me, lying "No, they told me there was a reward?"
>Eventually they give me 500 GP, for a 6th level character that isn't much
>Other mission is infiltrate the manor of a rich guy and steal some stuff
>Other players decide to defeat guards and shit
>I decide to actually do the mission
>On top of the stuff we had to steal (some permits and maps) I find promissory notes
>Sell them later, get 3000 GP
>Give 1500 to the rest of the party
Two players OOC started to distrust my character and out of nowhere told me that I had more money hidden (which was true) but they couldn't know unless being out of character. One night the cleric decided to attack me because I was "evil" (he never casted detect evil or similar on me) I survived and instead of killing him I decided to bring this stuff to the party, they character was kicked out and the player ragequit

At first I tortured and killed enemies, some characters weren't ok with that and I stopped, my character was selfish and a dick, but never worked against my team. They all had their respective WPL, and just had slightly more.
>>
>>48841784
>Moonion
is it like an onion spliced with cow genes?
>>
>>48841806
Name is Moon druid, it basically focuses on combat wild forms. the Onion part is because, like an onion, it has layer over layer over layer of HPs.
>>
>>48825559
Oh jeez
>>
>>48841864
He's an ogre?
>>
>>48819261
My that guy is just that guy who shows no interest in anything the DM does and never bothers learning about what we are doing and just rolls dice when prompted.
>>
>>48843121

I still haven't.
>>
>>48826920
Never played that particular system but power negation can be fun if it's done right, ie only one target, only a limited amount of time. Brings the combat between him and his enemy down to hand to hand or gun to gun if you're running that kind of campaign.
>>
>>48839962
Ok sure that guy's edgy as shit, but why would you start him at level 1? If you want a guy to quit on the spot that's the way to do it, but that's a real dick move if you actually rule that way. A PC should never have to suffer through being any lower than 1 or 2 levels below their counterparts unless you come to the table specifically to play a hireling.
>>
This faggot who complains about everything if it doesn't go as he planned and blames everybody else
>Be ambushed in a corridor
>That guy uses domination powers on my character to stay behind and serve as a decoy
>I go with it because there were enough discussions in that game and I didn't want to drag down the game with another
>That guy flees
>Gets ambushed at the begining of the corridor and shanked to death
>Starts to complain about why my character stayed behind and didn't help him
I was literally about to punch his face, spend all my willpower on just kicking him out of my home till he chilled the fuck out and decided to behave like a normal human being
>>
>>48841482
Don't besmirch the name of David Willis like that.
The worst thing he did was pour coffee in the bin
>>
>>48819261
Nothing about your story is "That Guy" until
>mfw when at the earliest opportunity he attacks the party
Anyone with a brain who is actually serious about power gaming wouldn't play a fucking sorcerer to begin with.
>>
>>48831578

>Say the guy dodged it. If he was 20 feet away, unarmored, and facing away, would you have made him roll

In system (we were playing Dragonquest, don't know if you're familiar with it) the answer would be yes, even if the odds of hitting would be over 100%, which they probably would be in that instance. You can have multiple degrees of hitting, with better rolls indicating better hits, so you'd still have to roll for that, but the possibility for miss would be off the table, IIRC.
>>
>>48843676
Sounds fair for someone killing themselves in a way that doesn't mesh at all with the character just so they could make another one.
>>
>Playing MTG
>Just made a super budget R/G werewolves deck with one traded Arlinn
>Friend sucks at deck building so much he thinks a (1)RR 3/3 with a transform ability is complete bullshit.
>>
>>48841482
No. If it helps, when he dresses in women's clothing he goes by Dawn.
>>
>>48832587
I played a wizard/cleric.

Its quite easy to make a very tough caster in this edition. I have the highest ac in the party and as much hp as the fighter.

Plus I can cast fireball/heal.
>>
>>48846795
BS. Post build now or you lie.
>>
>>48846935

with a Dex 4, Mage Armor, Shield and Haste I can see that for the Armor Class
>>
>>48824760
If there was a list of phrases only a that guy would say, that would be in it.
>>
>>48833133
That Guy:
>haha i'm insane so I roll on random table to determine my actions
Good Guy:
>So my character has PTSD after earthquake killed his whole cave clan, and is now afraid of the dark and being alone, and also quite nervous and easy to anger, but tries to get better and loyal as a dog to those he considers his friends
>>
>>48847021
So waste an 18 in DEX or take the DEX item from the martial DEX class and then spend three different spells multiple times per day per combat before figuring in other buffs and such for the other characters? Yeah, really not possible.
>>
>>48846935
?

Sure.

Level 8, human variant. 18 con + toughness feat. 83hp

Bulette half-plate, with bulette shield + shield of faith + shield spell = semi-permanent 20 ac, that goes up to 24 if I cast shield.

Drop the concentration spell and its still 18 to 22.
>>
>>48847076
Wizard 7/Cleric 1
>>
>>48847076
>Toughness feat
Garbage. Any martial class is going to have 100+ HP at level 8 if they put an 18 in CON and probably more in AC from actual armor. Besides, min/maxing to kick out any players who like Martials is a dick move on your part.
>>
>>48833222
>Pathfinder game
>with randoms online
what were you hoping for? A mere glimpse at /pfg/ is enough to say that you'll need a really good group to actually play i-
>read the story
Well that turned out better than I expected
>>
File: Ken_jeong_ben_chang-550x302.png (271KB, 550x302px) Image search: [Google]
Ken_jeong_ben_chang-550x302.png
271KB, 550x302px
>>48847068
Not that anon. What if my character is basically That Guy in that he's clearly insane and kind of an idiot, but it doesn't extend to hindering the party in any way, and I don't hog the spotlight with it?

Examples:

>when the party met him, he was sitting alone in the corner of a tavern (but it wasn't because he was all brooding loner; it was because the regulars can't stand him)
>he was loudly doing a mock battle with two bits of bread and some toothpicks

>someone gave him a ring and he declared them his new best friend

>he decided he wanted to sell a mace, so he ran out the door with it, then ran into the market waving it over his head yelling WHO WANTS THIS

>later on he used the "speak with animal" ritual (he's a barbarian) to talk to some NPC adventurer's giant lizard mount, and got into an argument with it

>near the end of the session, when everyone was eating, he fed someone "dwarf's hair noodles and meat sauce" that was literally hair from a dead dwarf they'd stumbled across a couple hours earlier with meat rations crumbled over it

The party seems to like it, though?

Pic related is my inspiration.
>>
>>48847222
>What if my character is basically That Guy...
"That Guy" refers to shitty players with shitty characters who harm the experience.

You seem like an alright guy and everyone's in on the joke. You're cool, don't worry.
>>
>>48847131
I played an abjurationist antagonistic anon. I buffed the party/ tanked hits while the martials kicked the shit out of what we were fighting because martials are significantly better at dealing damage for the majority of the game than wizards.

As for martials having hp that high, please give me your calculations. Assuming the average d10, + 6 for con and toughness.

Thats 11.5hp per level. At level 8 This gives them 92 hp. On average. With 20 con they have ~100 on average.
>>
>>48847301
Barbarians have D12 hit dice and raging at that level gives +4 or +6 to CON.
>>
>>48847372
Dude. 5TH EDITION. The original poster to this discussion was talking about 5th edition.

Barbarians don't get bonuses to con for raging, they get

"In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.

When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.

You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again."

At least get the edition right before you start throwing shade.
>>
>>48833601
Bullshit. If you think rolling "too well" is grounds for having to reroll, then you clearly shouldn't be rolling stats in the first place.
>>
>>48847450
Dude was throwing around casters being overpowered so 3.pf was expected.
>>
>>48847372
>raging rises stats in 5e
RTFM, familia
>>
>>48847490
>Oh lol I rolled all 18's in front of you. This will be so balanced! I don't care nobody else has a stat above 16.
>>
>>48847504
No, he was saying this specific caster was OP because a dragon sorceror gets ac 13 base and +1 hp/level and with the stats his player rolled he was fightier than the fighter and you started frothing at the mouth and made assumptions.

Maybe don't immediately go into "Im whats awful about this community" mode when you see stuff like that.
>>
>>48839056
What class/archetype is he playing? Beyond cleric or maybe synthesist summoner I can't think of a caster that can both DPS and tank.

As for the other guy, fight fire with fire. Talk to the GM and other players about his actions. If they agree with you that he is out of line, just literally kick his character out of the group and ask him to roll a new one. If the GM is on his side, you're fucked.
>>
>>48847557

Then don't fucking roll stats.
>>
>>48847557
If you don't want luck to matter on starting stats don't allow rolling stats
>>
>>48847563
Well a barbarian with full hp her hit die at a d12 hit die with a +3 con bonus will have more than 100 hp at level 8.
>>
>>48847557
That GM detected
>>
>>48847600
Which is why I compared my wizard to the specific fighter in our group and not martials in general.

The barbarian having more hp than my character does not invalidate my characters toughness, or detract from how hard the barbarian is hard to kill, given that is a CLASS FEATURE of the barbarian. D12, con to ac, resistance to damage while raging, etcetera.
>>
>>48847557
That's the kind of shit you sign up for if you agree to roll for stats. Don't like the rules, don't play the game.
>>
>>48844439
Yyyyoooooouuuu should probably go talk to /doag/ over on /co/.
>>
>>48847669
>>48847621
>>48847598
>>48847592
Well then how he hell did that guy get 3 18's in fucking 5e unless they were rolling?
>>
>>48847709
The whole fucking START of this discussion is that they WERE rolling, you mongoloid.
>>
>>48847751
Well why are you screaming at me? They're the idiots. Besides, elite array is where it's at for making the same exact character every single time.
>>
I think everyone needs to take a step back and relax.
>>
>>48847789
No, you're the idiot, they're telling you that if you use rolling stats you deal with the result and don't arbitrarily decide not to allow them just because cause the player had too much luck
>>
>>48847825
So I can't arbitrarily decide "you rolled like 3 6's. Don't use that character" when I for some reason decide to do rolling?
>>
>>48847789
>Well why are you screaming at me?

Because you're an idiot who pretends to be part of a discussion he clearly isn't paying attention to.
>>
>>48848021
About this caster being overpowered in an edition that was supposed to fix this power imbalance?
>>
>>48833769
I see where you're coming from, but as others have pointed out, it can take the fun out of it for other players.

It sounds to me like you're more of a rollplayer, while on the other side of the argument we have roleplayers. I'm not going to criticize or deride you for how you have fun, just point out that having the best stats isn't the surest way to a good time for everyone. Some of us prefer the story elements and challenge that comes from having some lower stats. I will sometimes take a lower number in a stat even if I rolled high, because I have particular personality in mind for my character and think it would make a better story that way.

Ultimately when making gameplay decisions, "how good of a story would this make" is a significant factor for me.
>>
>>48847676
Ohhh
I'm pretty sure I read a bit of Roomies ages ago, but it never clicked that the author has the same name as one of my mates

He told me he was running something recently, I was worried he had become enough of a That Guy to make it into one of these threads
>>
>>48848052
Casters aren't better than martials in 5e at their job, specially not the sorcerer
>>
>>48848052
no, about people complaining about lacking balance when rolling stats
>>
>>48819261

I've had several instances much like >>48820090 's

Whenever someone decides to get edgy and rape someone or attack the party out of the blue with no context I just stop the session and tell them to stop or leave. I simply just don't let them be That Guy.

Am I bad GM or good GM? Me no know.
>>
>>48848171
Generally I think its a trait of a good GM to set boundaries and abide by them when dealing with these elements.

By trying to resolve it in game, you trivialize the action, and if it is upsetting or at least squicking people out at the table, it should be dealt with outside the game world/mechanics like reasonable adults.

You good DM in Thogs rocks.
>>
>>48848086
Nah, I just prefer old school games where the story emerges out of gameplay. I don't eschew roleplaying at all (which is what I interpret "rollplayer" to mean).
>>
>>48848171
Great DM. Nobody wants to sit through you awkwardly describing a rape and nobody wants that behaviour becoming dominant in your adventure.

My quick That Guy story
>3.5e DnD in high school
>Not quite sure how I knew this guy
>Homebrews Crystal Golem race
>Rolls his own sheet at home, starts at level 2 as a fighter Sorcerer multi class
>21 strength, 22 Con, 17 Dex, 10's and 11's otherwise
>gave himself a vorpal broadsword

He cried when I handed him back his sheet and said no. One of his racial abilities (he said he got it off of a wiki, I haven't found it) was a 20' range ice shard attack that would incapacitate enemies for 1d6 turns.
>>
>>48848171
Just say "Ok you rape them and gloss over it and have him face the consequences later."
>>
>>48848312
>sorcerer
>10 cha
What a moron.
>>
>>48833304

why the fuck would that be dishonorable. this guy's an active threat who's massacred countless civilians before your eyes. kill the shit out of him, armed or not.
>>
File: Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>been wanting to play dnd for a long time
>finally able to get a group of 3
>gm has 2 more to play with us.
>roll characters, I say I want to be a rogue before we roll and choose characters
>other guy also pics rogue
>I see no issue with this, but the 2 other players say this wont be good
>I brush it off as if they think 2 rogues are bad after I ask if they want me to change, they say no
>start playing
>LN, ask for a BG as a theif/murderer for hire (only kill those who deserve death but the law cant stop them, and only steal from those who have stolen)
>get with group and told I can obtain wealth by helping them do some good
>other rogue keeps looking at me, I figure maybe his RP is he likes men or possibly something the GM says to him
>first battle with some goblins outside of town the rogue attacks me.
>I am losing HP, I decide to disengage and run
>He chases, I drop caltrops which stop him from chase
>He goes back to the group, they tie him up.
>I make my way back after scouting them seeing he is tied up
>Ask him what his problem was
> "there can only be one rogue!"- he says
>"Thats not cool" - I say
>"He yells he will get free soon enough (He fails all his escape artist rolls) and will kill me"
>The group gag him and place him in a hole
>First guy on watch is supposed to wake the cleric up after 3 hours
>2 hours in I get out of my tent and drink with the fighter (on watch)
>get him drunk and convince him its okay to let me take watch and let the others sleep he passes out by a tree with waterskin smelling of liquor
>Go to the rogue in the hole
>Jump down, slit his throat so he dies
>Cut his ropes and leave them
>carry his body to the north
>Make attempt to cover my tracks
>20 Nat
>Hide his body, take no items, and leave him
>Make a fake path with broken twigs to the south
>Party wakes up, cant find the other rogue and are convinced when the Ranger tracks him to the south and loses his path
>They assume he ran away.
>Game is no more, I am blamed as that guy.
>>
>>48824123
the best way i have found to deal with this kind of people is to "agree" with them. if they say something you agree with you state it. yeah i agree with that and then folow up with your idea.

if they say something that is tangential or weird in relation to what you said then you simply say "i did not say that" Ex: what you did when you said "i didn´t say it was good" you should have "i didnt say that" or you could go 1 extra step and clear up the things they say. " i agree its a good idea poorly executed"

basically pick up the stuff they say and dont take it personal.
>>
>>48823422

Sounds like a faggot but DESU CoC is not a well made system either.
>>
>>48819261
Reminds me of one of my players
>Egoistic
>Think dps is a god of archetypes, always going for damage dealing skills and stats, and almost no utility
>Think pvp is a solution for any questionable situation
>Provoked a pvp situation, got killed
>Created another character
>In a tence battle situation changed sides, attacked players. Got killed even faster without dealing any sighnificant damage at all
>Created another character
>It's a high int scholar
>Keeps bitching about his scholar needs more melee DPS.
Guess his new character won't live long too.
>>
>>48848108
>it was an actual guy
KEK

I feel bad for your buddy, having to share a name with the Archfaggot of Webcomics.
>>
>>48843230
Then he's not That Guy, he's just a lazy/disinterested player. That Guy is someone who deliberately goes against the grain of the party and does all he can to ruin the game for everyone else.
>>
>>48847372
>he quotes an edition that hasn't been current for like a decade to back up his bullshit
Threeaboos really are the scum of roleplaying.
>>
>>48834302
If someone's worried about that happening, they shouldn't be playing D&D in the first place.
>>
>>48825958

i had a similar experience
>playing post apocaliptic game
>players are checking out a place to loot. an old robot factory
>they notice a wall-e kind of patrol robot doing patrol as it comes trough the hallway
>I let them know they dont need to roll for stealth unless they make an action that is flashy enough to require a roll.
>player says he wants go across the room. efectively passing in front of the hallway and the robot.
>I ask him to roll stealth.
>goes autistic and ragequits the game. he did not even roll.
>later as i make a forum post looking for a player to fill up the spot. he goes trash talking about how horrible of a gm i am.

it was funny.
>>
>>48848312
>he said he got it off of a wiki
How the hell is this even supposed to be an excuse? That's like going
>Hey let's shoot up this adulterated black tar heroin!
>No.
>But I found it in the gutter!
>>
>>48849268
There are no other systems that do medieval fantasy better though.
>>
>>48849226
Shit, I may have been that guy. I was playing a devout missionary in a rogue trader game, with the agent of the throne elite advance. Well, I missed a session because of work and I come back to our rogue trader completely abandoning imperial space and aligning with the tau, and not telling anyone the reason why. I then spent the next month attempting to get everyone killed by the inquisition. My excuse out of game was it was what my character would do.
>>
>>48849048

Sounds made up or the GM has no idea what he's doing. It's one thing to let players have a bit of infighting over real issues but actually trying to kill eachother over meta bullshit like "there can only be one rogue" should have been an immediate pause while the GM explained why he was being a dumb prick.

Also

>let you go through all that shit and THEN decide you are that guy and it ruined the game

This sounds fake as hell though, thanks for wasting my time fag
>>
>>48849627
Listen, the other anon's and I have talked about it and we don't cant take your toxic attitude anymore.

You are a constant font of negativity and its really making us not have any fun. I know we've been anon together for a few threads but we thought it best if you left. Sorry to just come out and say it like this.
>>
>>48849627

Aron?
>>
>>48849048
>There can only be one rogue!!!
Max kek if he said that in character
>>
>>48849580
Now, it is possible to write a character that is radically different in personality and alignment from the rest of the party, and play it well. See >>48841784, for example.

Now, in your case, it seems you made a character that did mesh decently with everyone else until this out of the blue defection, and it does seem like you were just roleplaying your character. Though since I wasn't there I obviously don't know all of the details.
>>
>>48849449
Depending on what part of Medieval Fantasy they want, DnD is a good loot-em-up but as anything other than a small scale party of dudes going about the place it kinda falls flat. The 5e game I'm in has a bit of Kingdom (Village) management but most that stuff has all been houseruled and the mass combat rules are kinda meh in my opinion.
>>
>>48849627
not sure why you are being so toxic.
sadly this is not made up. the guy was the GM's roommate.
they blamed me for it in later game sessions.
>>
>>48849580
>>48850736
I've always been of the opinion that very mildly twisting a character to keep the game going is a good choice. It's like theater--if you say "No" it ends scenes, but if you say "Yes, but" the scene keeps going.

In this case, rather than saying "No we can't do this" you could've said "Yes, but you need to explain to me how we can use this clever ruse to destroy these evil Xenos!" and then let him convince you.
If you tried something like that and he just refused to even bluff you on it, well, your hands were tied.
>>
I'll call myself out for dipping a little toe into the "That DM" territory.

>DMing for some friends, 5e
>group of 7 in total
>they're going through a forest
>trespass on the land of an old man who used to be a great hero
>head back to his cabin
>he offers them some nice deer and radish stew
>wizard, who lubs aminals, refuses to eat it
>wants to go forage for berries
>"Okay. Sure."
>10
>"You find some berries. They won't fill you though."
>Wants to forage further
>"Fine. But you have to roll for a possible encounter."
>6
>pull out an undead deer I brewed up
>fire, cold, non-magic weapon resistance
>Charge to deal extra 2d6 on ram attacks
>35 HP to start
>Wizard proceeds to throw Scorching Rays and Rays of Frost and roll low on damage while rest of the party is running into the woods to help
>Monk gets there first
>Proceeds to whiff punches or hit and roll really low
>Whole time the rest of the party is saying shit like "Wizard gonna get fucked by the deer" or "Deer better fuck her"
>Peer pressure and now I want the deer to fuck her
>deer proceeds to miss its attacks because of Mirror Image shenanigans
>Cleric eventually shows up and Guiding Bolts the deer to low health
>Deer finally rams Wizard, knocks her prone, and begins to mount her
>Monk jumps on deer's back as it's on Wizard
>Monk can't roll to save his life
>Wizard finally whips out a dagger and rolls to attack
>Natural fuckin 19
>Deals enough damage to kill
>Deer nuts on her back and collapses as it dies
>Lays on her
>No one wants to remove the body
>Call the session and we'll deal with it next week
>>
>>48852182
It's fine to go out there a little if you're with people you know.

Also the Cleric's a shitter.
>>
>>48852182
Did Wizard dieded? That seems like a big target for a squishy.
>>
>>48852634
They were very close. They did blow all of their spell slots, however, early in the day.
>>
>>48833606
Go back to Python, faggot.
>>
>>48847557
He used a clever racial pick to get 3 18's
>>
>>48852182

how did they know the wizard was in trouble?

must be pretty embarrassing either way, kinda magical realmy though. probably okay if like >>48852358 says nobody was too put off by it.
>>
File: Rogue_the_Bat.png (347KB, 504x950px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue_the_Bat.png
347KB, 504x950px
>>48824794
>>
>>48852182
Undead do not reproduce sexually. Deer do not mate with non deer, especially bipedals that cannot be easily mistaken as a deer.
It would have had no reason to mount. You are that gm, and your players were that guys for encouraging it. Please use logic in the future.
>>
>>48843301
Orc was metagaming, jewels were deathtrap in Tomb of horrors.

Except it was all just a made up story done as a reference.
>>
>>48851816
The thing is that it wasn't a mild twist. It's the DnD equivalent of a Paladin following his party into an allegiance with hell. I played it like a spy, but every attempt to communicate was thwarted by a dmpc tau pathfinder that was constantly invisible and constantly watching me, so I felt even more like that guy as I was the only one who couldn't do anything as a character. Add that to the GM not allowing selective errata about the weapon I was using, and disallowing a large number of my skills (knowledge imperium is surely useful in tau space), and both in and out of character I was fighting against the entire campaign because of a decision that was made without either my knowledge or input.
>>
>>48849048
>>48850891
Your character sounded much more True Neutral than anything. Perhaps lawful in ideals, but not lawful in what they do.

Unlike a lawful character, they act more flexibly, 'There has been no ruling that this person should die, and they are currently neutralized but not a threat, so instead of going through with the agreed upon punishment I will assassinate them and cover up the murder.'
Yes, even a lawful character would do that in the right circumstances. No, your character was very much more neutral about it, killing a helpless opponent and deceiving everybody, not to mention leaving everybody else alone in the night with nobody to guard them.
Also, being a bounty hunter that only goes after people who the law can't take care of is pretty much neutral-ish anyway.

I mean, it's hard to decide alignments sometimes, and it doesn't really affect that other guy being a dick or that campaign, but I just thought I'd say all that.

I think it might have been a good idea to start questioning once the attack was made. "Why is your character attacking? Why would they want all rogues to die when they're a rogue themself? Do they not have the common sense that if they randomly murder people they'll get killed? How do they even definitely know this guy is a rogue?"
>>
>>48848171
Good GM, That Guy shouldn't be tolerated at all.
>>
File: 1448742155589.jpg (68KB, 476x720px) Image search: [Google]
1448742155589.jpg
68KB, 476x720px
>>48854068
I let her yell as loud as she could and had the party roll Perception. I think all but one of them rolled above an 18.

>>48854321
Hey, man. I'm 100% with you on that. I called myself out for a reason. But, my players had fun and even the wizard's player admitted to having fun after we packed it in for the night. And that's really my biggest concern with the game.
>>
>>48855120
What i do for yelling is roll a d20 (not sure what mod might apply so i just do a straight d20) to see how loud my guy yells, and that sets the inverse as the dc to hear, in reasonable distances, as our dm has it.
For instance i shout with a 15, dc 5 to hear.
Or if i shout poorly (hey, ive sucked at yelling irl a few times too) with a 3, 17 to hear it.
In general with proficiencies and wis scores itll be usually easy to hear the shout
>>
>>48855209
I actually really like that idea and will be stealing it for my own usage. Thanks, anon.
>>
All the other players in my group are varrying levels of That Guy
>One of them is a rouge who didn't understand how steal worked, but the DM went with it
>DM eventually looks up how stealth works
>Nothing like what this guy thinks it is
>His character suddenly sucks beyond belief
>He complains about playing the actual rules rather than him being OP as shit
>Ranger who acted choatic stupid and got his character killed
>Is a massive fury
>Rerolled as bard and maxed his dexterity
>Dies against nearly every area attack
>Warrior that constantly begs the DM for more magic items
>His entire character hook is "I'm dumb"
>Knows next to nothing about what his character can do
>>
>>48855377
Rogue should be allowed to rearrange some things to make his stealth reasonable (without just getting shit he didn't have before) so that it makes in-universe sense. Otherwise one of the characters could reasonably ask "wait, didn't you used to be good at sneaking around" and there's no fucking answer. Also, if nobody involved understood how the rule worked, that was something the DM should have figured out immediately rather than letting the player do what they want and then changing the rules mid-campaign.

Chaotic Stupid isn't good, but how is maxing dex and falling to AOE spells "That guy?"

Warrior sounds slightly That Guy, I grant you.
>>
>>48854962

well I didnt ask him why he wanted to kill me since he said in game to the group there can only be one rogue while I was lurking.

This was my first gaming session I ever played.
I talked with the GM later on about it and he said, thats just how he is man. Me wanting to play gave it another shot with that group... things didnt turn out too well but this time it was a couple that ruined it. This was when I learned to question things, like how did they know as a character instead of the player what had happened? but thats another story.

Needless to say I dont play with him, the couple, and 2 others anymore. took about 5/6 games trying new people to find a good group that want to play consistently that I been playing with for almost 2 years now.
>>
>>48854321
I bet this guy is the funnest person to be in a group with :^)
>>
>>48820828
No dude.... You don't get it. He destroyed your calm, he fulfilled his promise. He won
>>
>>48833403

I love minmaxing, so I always choose something near impossible to do well, IE knife throwing, because that way when fully min-maxed it's MAYBE a little better than a standard fighter. I cripple myself to keep myself from running rampant on my non-min-maxing party members.

On the plus side, I learn about weird rules and find neat little feats that work really well for very specific goals, but not much else. Me and my friend once built a guy who dual wields shields and wears heavy armour, but still has high dex so he gets lots of AOO, which he uses to intercept attacks(a feat allowing "aid another" to let you intercept attacks). I think in the end he could literally dash in front of people to take the hit for them when they got attacked and could do decent damage with pretty good to hit with his shields. It was fun. Never got to play him, though...
>>
>>48855919
I love to minmax the ever loving shit of weak classes or character concepts, see Monk, Truenamer, Soul Knife and similar.
>>
>>48855568
Good on you then, anon.
>>
>>48819261

As someone who might be playing this in two weeks and not wanting to be that guy..

>Rolling high is min-maxing, and you're a scumbag

>Rolling low makes you useless, and susceptible to the inevitability of death, being ineffective for the party, or some bizarre save because the DM just picks on those low stats.

How exactly do you not be "that guy" / Min-maxer, without being a piece of shit when it's time to throw down?
>>
>>48846334
Does Dawn.... by any chance know someone by the name of Randy?
>>
>>48819261
I'll take "Things that never happened" for 600 Alex.
>>
>>48831247
Wouldn't this just make you That Guy?
>>
>>48848052

wait 5e was supposed to fix power balance? Is that why they removed feats?(I know they aren't actually removed, but they might as well be)
>>
>>48856300
is this a trailer park boys reference?
>>
>>48847956
Don't listen to these idiots that don't understand that GM judgement calls are part of the game. I find most people understand that rolling can add variation and inspiration for characters even if the GM gets a veto for anything they think is harmful, just like any other time anyone makes a character, be it array or not.

Also, just to get in some edition warring
>>
File: educate yourself.gif (539KB, 245x170px) Image search: [Google]
educate yourself.gif
539KB, 245x170px
>>48849449

depending on what you want, ACKs is pretty good, it's basically you start at level one as an adventurer, and as you increase in levels you go on to found a town, build a castle, and your party will eventually be running a kingdom, where you can raise armies of hundreds or thousands to do battles in your name. It gets pretty sweet.

If you want more of a """balanced""" fantasy game, and I know I'm going to get hate for this, go back to second edition. It maintains the flexibility I've always liked about 3.5/pf while still having decent balance, especially thanks to the variable EXP rates.

Sure, the Unearthed Arcana Barbarian is crazy strong(I believe they get flat CON to health, among others), but it also takes 6000 EXP to reach level two, so you'll be hitting level two around the same time the rogue hits level four. It does a good job of dealing with linear fighters/exponential wizards by making the fighters level up just that much faster. By the time the wizard is level ten, the rogue will be approaching twenty and the fighter will likely be somewhere around 15/16, and reaching the late game.

On top of that, you have to respect the wizards, because they actually MADE IT that far. At level one they get one spell. One. It's probably going to be either a buff so they can cast it then hide, or sleep, so they can cast it then hide. They fucking climbed that ladder, man, and you have to respect it.
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (6KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
6KB, 224x224px
>>48825994

Save this picture and use it every time you make a piece of shit pun like that.
>>
>>48843676

>Act like an edgefag on steroids
>Kill plot relevant NPCs whenever you could
>Takes a cursed item just so he had a reason to kill his character off
>Decides to kill himself off in a way that makes no sense whatsoever just so he could make a new character.

Assuming this wasn't the GM's idea already, I would've told edgefag that he's starting from level 1 because of the Khopesh he decided to wear.

"Guess the curse wasn't bs afterall amirite XD"

Then again, I'm an asshole whenever players try to pull cheeky shit like shit for no reason.
>>
>>48832492
>Here's where you're wrong
Here's where you're wrong
Don't let players roll for stats then act like you have a cock up your ass when players have unevenly powered characters.
>>
>>48847956
>>48856521

If you can't handle the possibility of someone managing to roll six 18's in a row then you shouldn't be rolling for stats in the first place.

It's been known that rolling for stats can cause imbalance issues if people roll above or below the average. There's a reason why most games nowadays use point buys rather than forcing you to roll for your starting stats.
>>
>>48857542
There's also a reason people are now able to plan their "builds" 15 levels in advance. Face it, point-buy/arrays allow for the most power gaming possible while rolling does not. As long as you can mitigate the possibility of extreme outlier stat blocks you can eill have a fun game.
>>
>>48856510
Would it help if Randy's last name was Bobandy?
>>
>>48857617
>Planning builds is powergaming now
Why though? Powergaming is becoming a godlike character while everyone else in the party is still a piece of shit, not planning a character's growth, idiot.

Also, If your players are planning 15 levels in advance with little deviation as the game goes on, then your campaign is fucking boring and you are merely helping them masturbate. Put shit in front of them that makes them reevaluate what is important to the character. Character planning shouldn't go further than the next 2-3 levels.
>>
>>48857617

Point-buys/arrays allow for much less power gaming than rolling for your stats do.

The reason being, most point-buys/arrays that are worth their salt actually have limits in terms of how much you can spend on your stats or how high a particular stat can become. You shouldn't have a dude who has more than maybe two 18's in his stats without him also having multiple stats are weaker than the average.

Compare to rolling which can allow a power gamer to have multiple stats above the rest of the party's average while another player is sidelined for the entirety of the campaign because he couldn't roll higher than a 14 for all of his stats.

In truth, rolling for stats was only really a thing so that players in OD&D could make characters quickly if and when they died. It worked back then because you didn't really get a boon unless you rolled a 16+ for your stat and even then, it only gave you a (+1) bonus for your troubles, compared to modern D&D where everything above an eleven gives you a bonus and the difference between a (+1) and a (+3) became pretty fucking significant.
>>
>>48857694
>then your campaign is fucking boring

I wont say thats necessarily true. in our group we got 1 guy who plans an entire character and rethinks it every week. Because he enjoys doing so. also he mostly cares about fighting only. Though he has gotten used to working with the group for role playing. some people just enjoy that aspect of the game.
>>
>>48857694

I generally try to have an idea atleast five levels in advance, so I don't miss the requirements for a prestige class I want, but i try to build in points where the build can shift focus in case something comes up. I built a mob-slaying mass chopper that around third level started switching into a single target annihilator using a dual chain sickle style weapon. It was pretty neat.
>>
>>48857804

>being able to have 2 18s without going bellow ten on anything else

jesus christ, how bad have point buys gotten? I could do some stupid fucking shit with that. Atleast the best I've ever gotten in rolling was two eighteens, a sixteen and a fourteen, and that was offset by two sixes(they went in str and con, because I was a mad bastard)
>>
>>48857804
Again, stats are not ironclad binding agreements. GM can veto any character. The only mistake this particular anon made was not doing that when he saw three 18s.
>>
>>48824488
I haven't been in /tg/ for more than a couple years, but this is the friendliest board on the site. Yeah, there's always people starting arguments just to start arguments, but when the board is based off of a topic in which co-operative play is almost mandatory, it rubs off on most people here.

Rules and exceptions and all that jazz, but you get what I'm saying. This is a good board that we have here. I like you guys.
>>
>>48857895

Two 18's is only after racial bonuses are applied anon, even then, it's not really possible with 5e's point buy system for character creation.

With 5e's point buy system, you have 27 points to spend and the maximum to how high a stat can go is a 15 for (9) points.

Even the starting array for character creation is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
>>
>>48858046

that's really weird. Wait how big are the racial bonuses now? It's gotta be +3, right? Every time I hear something new about 5e it just makes me want to try it less. Fucking weird ass system.
>>
>>48857972

It'd be more honest to just make people use an array or a point buy anon.

At least then you don't start the campaign on a bad note when you tell someone who rolled six 18's in a row that he cannot use his 1 in a million rolls because you couldn't handle his luck giving him a solid for once.

Because now, it's not "rolling for stats," it's "rolling for stats that don't make the GM butthurt."
>>
>>48858113

Every race gives you a +2 to a stat but they also have a sub-type that gives a +1 to a different type.

For example, Halflings get a +2 bonus to DEX but lightfoot Halflings get a +1 bonus to CHA as well.

So generally, unless you're rolling for your stats, you shouldn't have a character with a stat that's higher than a 17.
>>
>>48858180

I guess that makes sense in the weird as fuck 5e where instead of feats they give you +2 to any stat that you can sacrifice for generally shit feats, but it's still really weird. What was that other anon talking about, then?
>>
>>48857976

I like you too, anon. You seem like a cool dude.
>>
>>48858236

The other anon was basically talking about how point-buys/arrays cause power gaming or some shit like that.

Anyways, the way that progression in 5e works now is that you can choose one of three options.

You can either give a +2 to a stat of your choice, two +1's to two stats of your choice, or you can choose a feat.

You can only increase any stat up to 20 using either method, though magic items can go past this cap.

The cool thing about 5e is that the feats that they give you are actually much more useful than they were in previous editions. Most of them give you two seperate effects and there are even some that allow you to increase a stat, in addition to providing additional effects.

For example, one feat you can get is called "Sentinel," it allows you to reduce the speed of anyone you hit to 0 if you hit it with an AoO, it allows you to make an AoO even if someone uses disengage (basically, spending the turn to retreat up to their speed), and it allows you to make an AoO if someone else in the party is attacked by an enemy.

Granted, because they give you more effects, you generally won't need more than maybe one or two depending on what you're going for and it's an optional rule so some GM's might not even use it. Either way, I think it's an improvement over the bullshit we had to deal with in 3.X.
>>
File: Dawn of Worlds.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dawn of Worlds.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48820828
>>48831931
>>
>>48858121
I've never run into people irl who don't understand when I ask them to re-roll because of something like that. Nor do I play with people who hold petty grudges over the DM doing his job, and moderating things like vetoing it because it might affect party balance.

You seem to not understand it's not black and white here. Rolling introduces, for some, variety and inspiration you can't get from an array. Having the GM veto imbalanced things that might come from this isn't a bad thing, it's what enables it to be used while not being like WELL YOU USED IT SO HURR DURR IT'S BINDING. That's just a stupid attitude to have and causes problems.
>>
>>48845605
there's a lot more bullshit in standard right now than a 3/3 for 3
>>
>>48858897

Do you even realize how unlikely it is to roll six 18's in a row?

That's like winning the goddamn lottery, I don't give a fuck if it's imbalanced, it's something that's never going to happen again so I should get to fucking keep it.

If you didn't want to me to be overpowered at the start, if you don't want ANYONE to potentially be overpowered at the start, then don't use a method that allows that type of fuckery to occur in the first place.

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand.

"but muh variety, muh inspiration"

You should already have a general idea of the character you wish to play before you sit down at the table. If you really need dice to help you decide on what to play then you're either an indecisive git or a bigger rollplayer than the people you shit on.

And that's real.
>>
>>48859373
Ok, let me spell this out for you, since I'm sure you are just a little slow and definitely not a willfully ignorant asshole.

>game idea
>GM says roll chars
>one guy rolls shitty
>GM says "ok that's too shitty, go ahead and roll again or else you might be too weak and it might be unfun"
>nothing happens and everyone goes on with their lives
>one guy rolls really really well, to the point where it might inflect game balance
>GM asks guy to re-roll or lower a couple stats
>That Guy goes to the internet and cries about it, all while not understanding the premise of the exercise
>Everyone else just does the same thing as rolling for low stats because it's a game

Also

>Assuming all games function on inspiration to generation, and not the other way around.

You fucking uneducated wank, and even better you tried to double down on it. You are That Guy.
>>
>>48860222

Not the same guy but instead of making him reroll to get lower stats take whatever abundant of superhuman stats he has an subtract and amount accordingly by ascending integers of 1.(e.g if he rolled three 18's, subtract one stat by 1, another by 2 so he has 18/17/16. Or you could subtract going 1, 2 and 3 so he has 17/16/15 which still works and gives him decently high stats without punishing harshly)
>>
>>48849048
>"there can only be one rogue!"
and your DM didn't say
>"Katanas fall from the sky and land in your hands. Fight! There can only be one!"
your DM is shitty DM
>>
>>48849144
d'awww, he's just being helpful, giving his party extra XP
>>
would secretly using loaded dice be That DMing?
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.