[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing games at a game store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: asdf.gif (265KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.gif
265KB, 800x600px
I've just recently moved to a new town, and have no friends to play with here. i've only ever played with good friends - tomorrow the local game shop is having a tabletop roleplay night

because i'm super awkward i'm afraid of going. - should i be? is it as weird as i'm thinking?
>>
>>48815345
I would honestly g I and ask to sit in and watch one or two games. Don't worry about people being rude cuz they aren't worth your time
>>
>>48815345
Any particular anxieties?
>>
>>48815438
I feel like it's gonna be weird with completely random people. Especially if they've all played together before, and I'm the only new one, you know?
>>
>>48815521
Anon from above. It doesn't have to be. Three of my friends are from groups like that. How new are I to ttrpgs
>>
>>48815345
>i'm super awkward
you'll fit right in
>>
I have a literal, diagnosed anxiety disorder. If I do something awkward or embarassing or something is worrying me my mind with focus and replay it, often until I go into a panic attack.....and even I can handle gaming with strangers. It's rough at first but gets more comfortable fast and no one's going to judge you for being awkward, it's expected.

So go join the game and have fun. If it's wierd just say your schedule changed or something and never go back.
>>
Here's what you do to make sure it isn't awkward.
>Shower at least one hour before so it looks like you didn't just take a shower.
>Use deodorant.
>Shave
>Clip your disgustingly long nail, even toenails
>For god's sake wear clean, nice-looking clothing.
That is all
>>
Just be a decent person both In-game and Out of game.
>>
>>48815345
Literally just "hide your powerlevel."
Don't talk about anything particularly deep, you're not here to impress. Just work to avoid seeming like a creep.
>>
>>48817236
He's not looking for a date, he's looking to play games with people he may be friends with in the future. As long as he isn't all nasty, I doubt anyone would mind if he wasn't clean shaven or if it looked like he just took a shower.
>>
>>48818067
not that guy but I always make a point of it to clean up a bit before I head in.

As weird as this may sound, I've gotten a lot of job offers because of it. I show up looking like a functional member of society and people care about that for some reason that escapes me. I keep doing it out of habit.

Plus, as the guy who always has to grow the games he plays wherever he goes, it helps to look a little more clean cut than the average guy. I don't know if they just trust you to not screw up the group or what, but it works.
>>
>>48817152
Buy phenibut. They give it to anxious Russian cosmonauts.
>>
Everyone's there to meet fellow gamers and I think we all know that people have quirks.

Don't sell yourself. Just be yourself. I'd gladly add a guy with some social issues to my group if he was making an effort to be friendly. All I want from a new player is someone who...

...will crack a joke once in a while
...laugh at jokes that definitely skirt or sometimes crash through traditional pc boundaries.
...isn't trying to look cool.
...has decent hygiene practices (and fashion isn't really a concern).
...doesn't argue... much. Almost none to start while you're learning the group's dynamic and my style. (I suggest the "ask suggestive questions" method where you approach an issue with something like, "Does this item modify that at all?" NoT, "You forgot about this modifier!")
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.