[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you make a fire mage feel original, something more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 38

File: 1458877332667.jpg (239KB, 945x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1458877332667.jpg
239KB, 945x1181px
How would you make a fire mage feel original, something more interesting than your archetypic fireballs dunkmachine?
>>
>curse an entire town so every source of light goes out.
>time to rob shit.

>cloak themselves in fire as a defensive measure.

>turn enemy weapons red-hot, causing them to bend and foul themselves as they strike your fighter friend's shield.

>Stone to Magma is almost the same as Stone to Mud, right?
>>
File: firelord.gif (16KB, 163x160px) Image search: [Google]
firelord.gif
16KB, 163x160px
Make lots of fire puns
>>
>>48798323
I think after a while, the PC might just burn out.
>>
>>48798323
What a hot idea, Anon!
>>
>>48798156
Make her a shadowcaster.
>>
>>48798156
power steam constructs. Melt thrown ball bearings at people. Hell, melt thrown stones.
>>
>>48798323
Fire has its Place, but not in humor.
>>
Make them able to absorb or redirect heat or fire in the same way they create it. Great way to tank a dragon. Until it decided to just hit you, at least.
>>
>>48798156
I like some ideas that the last airbender bring, like when they firebenders can't create fire they only can control it or the different types of fires: blue, red, green.
>>
File: 131666676889.jpg (322KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
131666676889.jpg
322KB, 700x700px
E X P L O S I O N S
>>
Focus less on flame than heat?
>>
Dark Souls style worshipping the flame as a bringer of light and life.
>>
>>48798156
>>48798476
>>48798603

Make them fire worshipers like Zoroastrians, almost like clerics with some kind of fire domain. Their thing is to constantly guard and cultivate a sacred flame they always carry with them, and through which they cast magic.
>>
>>48798603
building on this
in an arctic setting someone capable of creating fire that burns for extended periods/forever without using any fuel would be seen as a massive life saver.
one use i've seen for it involves the wickerman in pathfinder. it's basically a giant golem covered in fire but requires a human sacrifice to make. seeing as how one of these patrolling around a city can keep the whole thing much warmer and well lit these were seen as basically walking angels. being used as the sacrifice was volunteer only and considered a great honor, with the rest of the person's family being instantly bumped up to nobility second only to the king himself (who was the one that made the thing)
>>
>>48798156
Less fireballs being thrown and more study and/or craftsmanship to push the temperature, ferocity, and combustion speed of their fire technique. Low level apprentices can ignite easily flammable material without any physical aid like flint, while advanced casters can raise whole walls of fire in an instant or concentrate the flame into blowtorches.
>>
File: EXPLOSION(3).gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
EXPLOSION(3).gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>48798513
Did someone say Explosions?
>>
>>48798394
That's a sick burn.
>>
>>48798156
Design the magical theory of your setting so that fire isn't an element, it's a process.
Your main character is technically a specialized hot air mage.
>>
File: fire elementals.jpg (84KB, 1151x317px) Image search: [Google]
fire elementals.jpg
84KB, 1151x317px
Make them a hippie.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 634x317px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 634x317px
Embrace the warmth and make them kind, nurturing almost Druids

OR

All about the heat, spewing molten flame across the ground like pic related. Big (maybe explosive) flaming power from the Earth; or maybe strike down stuff from the sun?
>>
>>48798156
As an honest dunk machine. The Michael Jordan of fire magic. Literally dunking fireballs on your foes.

A setting where magic is common, someone with PC strength would stand out from the crowd. Competitive magic would give you an excuse for magic games that a PC could be proficient in.

Build the world and is an interesting twist on a tired concept.
>>
File: EKSPLOVIET.jpg (711KB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
EKSPLOVIET.jpg
711KB, 1280x1706px
>>48798910
E X P L O S I O N
X
P
L
O
S
I
O
N
>>
>>48798323
>200 mana ulti
>>
>>48798156
Have them propel themselves through the air a la Iron Man
>>
Have them fight with the earth mage and make lava babies.
>>
>>48800499
I really want interpretations for the other elements
>>
>>48798476
>I like some ideas that the last airbender bring, like when they firebenders can't create fire they only can control it
You mean the shitty idea from the shitty movie adaptation?
Firebending and airbending's distinct advantage was that there was nowhere in the world they couldn't be done. You'd be hard-pressed to waterbend in a hot desert, or earthbend on the open ocean, but air is all around you, and fire comes from inside you. When Iroh is teaching Zuko, he tells him that "fire comes from the breath, not the muscles". As long as you can breath, you can create fire.

Now an actual cool idea was Combustion Man: a firebender who couldn't seem to do anything but his one weird trick (bounties hate him!), but he did it really well.
>>
>>48801486
Just make sure not to wear a full helm when attempting to combust
>>
>>PYRO BARBARIAN!
>>
>>48801517
They didn't show any gore, and they cut away immediately, but holy shit I can't believe Nick allowed them to show a woman detonate her own head in a children's cartoon. It was the season 1 murder-suicide all over again.
>>
>>48801592
>barbarian is just a barbarian
>finds a talking skull that has Breath Weapon (Fire)
>party thinks it's a fire spirit, or a spirit of a dragon bound to a skull, or the ghost of a caster
>nope
>it's actually the ghost of a barbarian bound to a skull that was then enchanted to breath fire
>he's just as hyped about this as the PC barbarian
>>
I usually go by:

Crazy woman that believes herself to be a phoenix.

Professional double of Tim the enchanter number 23

Professional chef that just learbed fire magic because it was useful for his or her job.

Fire cute kobold that's very powerful but is hard to take seriously because he is damn cute.

Sumon totally not charizard, honest!

Fire elementaltist that can do anything fire related but fsils horrible at anything else.
>>
>>48798156
A mage obsessed with perfection and purification refuses to use mundane fire as a test of abstinence and seeks a fire that can burn away impurities in her soul. Eventually she discovers hot air balloons and their ascention with fire and devotes herself to their creation.

A mage uses fire as an artistic medium, creating delicate lattices of flame that flash out of existence after mere seconds. Their crackles and pops strike haunting chords that hang in the air. He seeks magical fuel for his creations.

A mage bound a fire elemental to his own body for (science/to save its life/as a last-ditch defensive measure) and now struggles with the magical kickback of such a dangerous action.

A mage knows exactly one spell: fire immunity, so she sets fucking everything on fire with mundane means.
>>
>>48798156
Use spells with liquid, solid, or gaseous fire.
>>
>>48801769
>finds a talking skull that has Breath Weapon (Fire)

D&D has monsters that do this. They're called flameskulls.
>>
>>48802780
that's awfully overspecific
>>
>>48798382
Sick burn.
>>
>>48798156
Make them a blackmith with their own portable equipment, use molten metal to their end, make fire enchantments for his own weapons, make them dual wield - one weapon to make an opening, and a second, white-hot weapon to make the hit
>>
I once made a tattooed sorcerer that specialized in fire magic in PF.
He always maintained that he was a tattoo artist first, sorcerer second. Flinging fireballs is something he does on the side.
As it turns out however, he was insanely good with fire magic. We are talking DC19 10d4+20 burning hands or DC21 12d6+24 fireballs by level 8.
He was still blind to this fact and whenever someone pointed out it out he just dismisses it as "just something that he dabbles with" and offers a tattoo with a discount.

Though he essentially curb stomped every encounter, everyone involved had fun.
>>
>>48798156
10/10 would burn my dick inside her.
>>
>>48798156
Fire is light.

>Fire as a purging light.
>Fire as a light that shines through the dark.
>A light of blazing glory.

Or you could be cozy as fuck, like some kind of home and hearth mage. Always manage your group's camp, manage the campfire, cook. Get mad when people pick on your friends and get fired up and excited about things.
>>
They can control any kind of energy that produces heat. Radiation, light, even sound.
>>
>>48803525

Yes but you'll also never not know what the deal is with them due to the name.

I've got a Fire Mage to play sitting about with Hana Val-Kala. She' focused on fire and it's interaction with earth, working mostly with Volcanic ideas.

Despite that's not really a hostile person. The heat beneath the earth is life itself and she's a Shaman of the first flame that warmed the world. Heat is our friend, it gives us strength and it gives us warmth. We should share warmth with our every action and deed. Coldness of heart and coldness of spirit are more dire than coldness of body.

Her magic is almost entirely supportive, restoring the fire of life to the injured or having blades burn with the spirits of those who wield them. Though if you do hurt her friends, she's more than capable of causing the ground to shake and the earth's blood to envelop you.

4e Animist Shamans are a load of fun.
>>
File: il_570xN.210080546.jpg (68KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.210080546.jpg
68KB, 570x427px
>>48798156
They're a candle mage rather than a full blown pyromancer. They can cast all sorts of spells that use different types of candles.
Or a pipe mage who uses magic by smoking various combinations of magical substances.
>>48801370
>fight and make babies
sounds like my parents
>>
>>48798156

What about making them super calm and about putting out fires, like a magical fire-fighter?
>>
>>48804687
There is in fact a manga about the fire-mage division of the fire department, created to stop a rash of people spontaneously combusting and transforming into monsters. Fire Brigade of Flames, by the Soul Eater guy. In a twist, the main character's main thing is kicking instead of punching.
>>
File: flameskull.jpg (81KB, 425x600px) Image search: [Google]
flameskull.jpg
81KB, 425x600px
>>48803525
>flameskulls
>that's awfully overspecific
It's pretty god damned metal, is what it is.

>Blazing green flames and mad, echoing laughter follow a disembodied skull as it patrols its demesne.
>When the undead flameskull discovers trespassers, it blasts the intruders with fiery rays from its eyes and dreadful spells called up from the dark recesses of its memory.
>Dark spellcasters fashion flameskulls from the remains of dead wizards.
>A flameskull only dimly recalls its former life. Though it might speak in its old voice and recount key events from its past, it is but an echo of its former self.

It almost makes me want to have a recruitable flameskull NPC.
>>
>original

This word is so comedically subjective and debatable that it has no meaning

Do what you think is cool
>>
>>48798156

Fire is civilization. The harnessing of fire is one of the most powerful and most relevant things humanity has ever done. Heat is movement. Heat is energy, and heat is power. There is no more visceral act of power than to create literal energy in the palm of your hand. Play an artificer fire mage who powers insane devices and churning, grinding monstrosities and who breathes life into colossal steam ships. It was literally millennia before humanity discovered a source of power that could rival fire.
>>
>>48801630
You know what they didn't cut away from? Queen getting the fucking air pulled out of her lungs and slowly suffocating. Or the slow and painful act of dying of mercury poisoning. Those plus the ending made book 3 of Korra REALLY FUCKING DARK.
>>
File: 24.jpg (186KB, 600x749px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
186KB, 600x749px
>>48798156
A mix of bard and mage, controlling fire elemental minions with music.
Kind of like a snake charmer, but charming flames instead.
>>
>>48798156
>I want to be a pyromancer but I don't want to burn everything
Get out water nigger
>>
File: 1375737726098.jpg (833KB, 1000x1222px) Image search: [Google]
1375737726098.jpg
833KB, 1000x1222px
>>48798156
Thermodynamics Mage, transferal of heat to the target by sucking it out of the atmosphere
>>
File: fire-elemental.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fire-elemental.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
>>48798156
make yourself immune to fire
set yourself on fire
increase your size as necessary
go wrestle people
----
summon fire elementals for the tag team
>>
File: Damanhur.jpg (83KB, 590x498px)
Damanhur.jpg
83KB, 590x498px
>>48798156
I've always thought Dramanhur from Rise of Legends was pretty cool and unique. I don't think she had any lore, but the character design of a Persian half-dragon djinn is pretty neat.
>>
>>48805887
Loved that game, pity it was still pretty much in alpha when they had to push it out the door
Would have loved to see the other two civs
>>
>>48806453
>Would have loved to see the other two civs
I never heard about that, although I didn't get the game until 1-2 years after it came out.
>>
FIREY PUNCHING AND KICKING

A MARTIAL ARTIST WHOSE HOT BLOOD AND THE FLAME OF THEIR HEART BURNS WITH SUCH INTENSITY THAT THEIR FOES ARE LITERALLY SCORCHED BY THEIR PUMMELING ATTACK
>>
>>48798156

Fireballs from thin air don't actually make a whole lot of sense if you think about it. It's basically just a bit of hot air and shouldn't do much damage by itself without something substantial within it to fuel it.

Flamethrower hoses things with burning fuel, napalm sticks to things while it's burning.

I could see two ways to spice up a fire mage:
1: Carries around combustible "ammo" that they can light with their magic and toss at people.
2: Radiate heat. Instead of throwing around plumes of flame, emit intense heat radiation that heats up stuff in it's path to the point of combustion (kind of like a living nuke).
>>
>>48798156
Uses produce flame, control fire and mage hand for crafting like alchemy and smithing.

Uses healing fire to cleanse and regenerate wounds etc.b
>>
Give him a personality.
>>
>>48800851
>It ain't me playing in the background
>>
>>48806490
>>
>>48798156
They get their powers by fugging fire elementals.

http://monstergirlencyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Elementalism
>>
>>48800499
So, when elemental mage reach deep understanding and unity with his element, he just leaves mortal world and joins his precious elementals in their own plane?
>>
>>48801915
>cute kobold that's very powerful but is hard to take seriously because he is damn cute.
That's becoming kinda stale over time.
>>
>>48806815
All of the kobolds I've depicted have ended up as cute little assholes. Like angry puppies.
>>
>>48798156
Conjure fire using ice
>>
>>48798156
Maybe think about what fire means in the culture the fire mage comes from. In general RPG mechanics culture, fire just means AoE. In the frozen north of Clichea, fire means comfort and hospitality. In the capital city of BackstabbingPoliticsLand, fire is chaos and vandalism unless under firm control. In the desert, it's death during the day and life at night, creation and destruction in one.

That sort of thing. Or you can do what NWN2 did with Qara, write "fire sorceress" at the top of your character sheet and have everything else be based on that. Qara's a fun character for being easy to understand and straightforward. Really nothing wrong with her being "Fire, the Firey Fire-thrower".
>>
>>48798156
Make it a energy mage, first is just energy escaping in the form of heat, so allow him to controll hear instead of just fire.
>>
>>48798156
Alchemy-based fire mage. Different effects and abilities depending on what reagents you use as spell components. Sulfur, saltpeter, lime, wood, flour, oil, tar, etc. Blind enemies with Limelight, use Oil Slick to create burning areas on the ground, or throw sticky flaming Tar Balls onto people. At higher levels, you can start mixing reagents for combined effects!
>>
File: Wheeler.gif (424KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
Wheeler.gif
424KB, 245x184px
>>48798156
>>
>>48798156
>>
>>48805186
>a flameskull who only dimly remembers heavy metal songs
I'd buy that.
>>
>>48805186
Our party had to deal with one of those in our campaign. It blasted us and called us fuckboys

We planted a magic bean under it and said bean spawned a 60 square foot pyramid (while inside a dungeon room barely large enough to hold it) that we all SOMEHOW managed to get out of the way of

We heard but one quote from inside the new permanent structure

"RELEASE ME, FUCKBOI!"

It was a good campaign
>>
>something more interesting than your archetypic fireballs dunkmachine?

Make an actual slammin jammin fireball dunkmachine.
>>
>>48807191
This
>>
File: 1457653782753.jpg (200KB, 680x727px) Image search: [Google]
1457653782753.jpg
200KB, 680x727px
>>48806717
>>
DID SOMEBODY SAY EXPLOSIONS?
>>
>>48807566
Did anyone ever make a Megumin/Torgue crossover?
>>
>>48807566
Shouldn't that be 'In the name of Elpis'?
>>
File: aoppj2x_700b.jpg (86KB, 640x820px) Image search: [Google]
aoppj2x_700b.jpg
86KB, 640x820px
>>48807587
THIS IS MY DAUGHTER. SHE WILL FUCK YOU UP!
>>
oh god i hope someone does
>>
>>48807635
One man's daughter is another man's cocksleeve
>>
File: 36958026.jpg (153KB, 634x342px) Image search: [Google]
36958026.jpg
153KB, 634x342px
>>48807654
HEY! THIS MOTHERFUCKER ISN'T TREATING WOMEN WITH RESPECT!
>>
>>48805594
Something like this. Too much fire magic and you start to freeze to death, pulling heat out or your essence or whatnot.

Have to throw around ice magic to compensate, which will eventually overheat you and make you pass out from heat stroke.
>>
>>48807676
I am very respectful of my cocksleeves, though
>>
>>48806473
There were apparently two more planned at least, one of nomadic beastmen who could move their cities around like units and one ice people that we only have some concept art and place holders in the game data for
>>
>>48798323

You monster.
>>
>>48808494
What does the white rune do
>>
>>48808717

You never know until you've taken it.
>>
File: avatar s1e02.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
3MB, 640x480px
>>48801486
The whole kung fu moves to use fireballs is a lot more interesting than just sitting there spamming them like they're magic missiles. Very creative.

Dunno how to make it mechanically any more than fluff though.
>>
>>48809048

Mechanically simple enough, fire mages are athletic and good at h2h. Basically multiclassing into monk.
>>
>>48809048
>>48809099
Dragon disciple?
>>
>>48804432
>Cook
In hindsight it's so obvious.

You can control fire and heat perfectly. So you can cook anything exactly how you want to.
Let's not forget that most fire mages are going to be in medieval settings with shitty ovens. Maintaining an exact and even heat that modern ovens do with their fancy heat sensors and heat distribution fans is hard when all you have is a metal box filled with fire.
But not for a fire mage. They can cook the best fucking steak ever. They can cook from the inside out if they want to. Because fire.
>>
File: avatar s1e03.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
3MB, 640x480px
>>48809099
>>48809135
I mean how do you make combat where the player makes different attacks that feels like they're more than just "throw fireball" worded differently. Like a fighting game.

How do systems like Strike! do it?
>>
>>48798156
Make them use lots of magic and obsessively use fire, but give them no fire magic.

Unseen Servants and Mage Hands rubbing torches up against everything.
Walls of Force to protect himself and direct the spread of fire.
Lots and lots of illusion magic to hide it all. Illusions of fire.
Lit candles (precariously) sewn into his hat.
>>
File: 1458228657651.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1458228657651.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>48810205
>Unseen Servants and Mage Hands rubbing torches up against everything.
>>
>>48810286 They could even have evocation barred by their illusion specialization.
>>
Don't burn enemies or towns, burn the threads tying the world together. Melt its essence, not its people. Find the concept of that tree, its inherent energy, and make it burn and disperse so no tree ever existed there and will ever exist again. Have them feed reality to the flame in ways some water won't stop.

Also make them scared of candles or something, just for fun.
>>
>>48809605
Maybe have the player elaborate exactly what they want the fire to do? Firebending in Avatar had a lot of different combat uses. You could trip with it, propel yourself, even block other firebending.
>>
>>48809048
>>48809605
>>48813050
https://youtu.be/Vh_q42N_zjQ?t=1m
Link related, two high-level firemage/monks going at it.
>>
>>48800851
>>48798910
>>48798513
E X P L O S I O N S?
>>
File: Iroh's_lotus_tile.png (104KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Iroh's_lotus_tile.png
104KB, 333x250px
>fire mage
>playing as anything but pic related
>>
>>48814615
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zowVdUR9ijk
This is how I fire mage.
>uploader pitched sound up to get past content filters
>now Mark Hamil's Ozai literally just sounds like Joker
>>
File: gorilla glare_1.png (406KB, 649x695px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla glare_1.png
406KB, 649x695px
>>48813050
>Guys just describe in detail what you're doing

No, shut the fuck up. Consider me fucking triggered.

If you are doing the EXACT SAME mechanical effect, then verbal flourishes are pointless. Alright? They're fun the first time, but anything beyond the 3rd round of combat, shit stops mattering, and people stop caring, because you are asking them to find a hundred different ways to describe "I Full Attack."

The alternative to this utterly insipid way of thinking is to have more going on with an attack than "I Attack, let's compare it to your AC and see if it landed." Enter the most genius combat design your filthy pleb eyes will ever bear witness to; Legends of the Wulin.

In every attack roll, there are about 3 different elements moving around; Fears/Laughs bonuses, Marvels, and the basic attack, called a Strike.

In Legends of the Wulin, kung fu isn't a raw set of stats handed to you. It's a method of fighting that has both strengths and weaknesses, or in the game's terminology, things it Laughs at and Fears. Whenever you set up and describe a situation that plays into your style's strengths, you get a bonus. Whenever you set up a situation that plays into what an opponent's style Fears, you also gain a bonus, which stacks. Taking advantage of these bonuses are often the difference between victory and defeat. For reference, the biggest constant bonus to an attack you can get in the game, exempting the usage of special abilities or conditional states, is +20. A Laughs bonus is +5, and so is a Fears, and they stack. So if you take advantage of Laughs at and Fears, you're literally almost doubling your effectiveness.

Marvels are bonus miscellaneous things you do during an attack to fuck with an individual opponent. Knocking him through a wall is a Marvel. Insulting him to get him angry enough to lose his composure and starts fighting less competently is a Marvel. Deftly maneuvering around him to head off his attempts at running away from you is a Marvel.
>>
File: frog AHHHHH RAGE INFERNO_1.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
frog AHHHHH RAGE INFERNO_1.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
>>48815393
And, of course, a Strike is "I roll to attack."

The thing is, all these elements come into play AT THE SAME TIME during the attack roll. So instead of, "I attack," it's more like, "I attack while using my longstaff to keep him at bay to take advantage of my style's prowess at controlling space and try to smack his wrist to weaken the grip on his swordarm." WHICH ISN'T JUST BULLSHIT FLAVORTEXT THAT EVERYBODY STOPS CARING ABOUT THE MOMENT THEY HEAR "I ATTACK," BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE ALL YOU'RE ACTUALLY DOING IS ATTACKING, IT'S ACTUALLY SEVERAL DIFFERENT FUCKING THINGS YOU ARE MECHANICALLY ATTEMPTING TO DO AND BACKING UP WITH DICE, THUS THE NARRATIVE NOT ONLY MORE EASILY FORMS BECAUSE THE DETAIL OF THE GAME'S RULES ACTUALLY HELPS FORM A FUCKING PICTURE OF THE SCENE, BUT EVERYONE, INCLUDING YOURSELF, WILL ACTUALLY GIVE MORE OF A SHIT THAN NONE AT ALL BECAUSE YOU'RE ACTUALLY DOING STUFF THAT MATTERS BEYOND MERELY SATISFYING PEOPLE TWISTING YOUR ARM ABOUT DESCRIBING SHIT.

FUCK people who suggest "describe stuff better" as a replacement for actual game design.
>>
>>48815409
>>48815393
But anon, all you've done is turn "describe stuff better" INTO actual game design.
I'm talking about "I roll to trip that guy with fire" which is a specific maneuver you can do in d20 with specific effects and counterrolls. You fluff it with fire.
>>
Worship the flame.

Also act like crack addicts and have to get a fix of The Flames Touch from one of many sources across the lands. They act normal if they get their dose of The Touch but go fucking postal irreversibly if they go long enough without any.

Flame Starved mages are drawn to sources of light such as torches and campfires as they think that those sources of fire will give them The Flames Touch. When they basically throw themselves into the fire and realise it's not a source of the Touch. Then they go into a berserker type rage only with fireballs instead of axes.
>>
>>48815645
So what you're saying is that when they don't get the Touch, they still get the Power?
>>
>>48815567
>I'm talking about "I roll to trip that guy with fire" which is a specific maneuver you can do in d20 with specific effects and counterrolls. You fluff it with fire.

Alright, fair enough. But at the same time, that doesn't quite address what >>48809605 was getting at; how do you fluff different attacks when there's, strictly speaking, not really any such thing as different attacks?

What I'm arguing is that you can, but nobody is going to care because describing it in more detail doesn't matter, so it's better to have game mechanics that not only turn describe stuff better into actual game design, but also aid in visualizing what's going on among the different attack rounds.

Now granted, maneuvers such as bullrushing or tripping and so forth exist in d&d, but let's face it; by and large, you're going to be Full Attacking. And that's what he was asking about.
>>
>>48815682
Accidentally sent before I finished typing.

They keep the power at all times but touching a source not only boosts that power it keeps it stable.

A fire mage that goes too long without touching a source (2 years or so) will devolve into a Fire Elemental of sorts.
>>
>>48798156
Fire is healing. The hearts and minds of the people must be convinced to fervour by the fire of their hearts, sometimes literally. Fire Mages make for good Confessors and for fantastic Rabble Rousing war makers, inciting frenzy.
>>
>>48807232
>Alright, I listen at the door
>Alright, roll me a perception check
>25
>Good enough, from inside, you hear a voice faintly whispering
>"let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit..."
>"...hit the-... how did it go again"
>>
>>48804528
>They're a candle mage rather than a full blown pyromancer. They can cast all sorts of spells that use different types of candles.

I kinda like the idea of a mage who uses candles to cast shadows.
>>
>>48798156
A girl with blue hair and an ice queen personality
>>
>>48815858
The shadow magic classes (from the same book that had binders, don't remember what it's called) had several magic items that are basically candles/lanterns to control shadow
>>
>>48815897
Sweet, thanks anon.
>>
>>48805789
No need to become fire immune, there is a spell in 3,5 called Balor Nimbus and it deals okay damage for a lvl 2 cleric/4 wiz spell.
>>
>>48809152
i can see that sorta fire mage getting injured in a fight and being unable to cook for one meal

for some reason im imagining it going a little like Kill Ari in NCIS, when Gerald is grinding the gears of Duckys Morgan, as the barbarian utterly blackens the delicate loin of veal that the mage had been aging to get it perfect
>>
a cantrip mage, litterally the only "spell" they are capable of is the Zippo Thumb

useless most of the time, but not in a pre-percusion cap gunpowder setting, especially in the rain (water mage teammate mayhaps?)

both sides give up their guns as they can't get the locks to fire, then the "fire mage" starts manually firing them with his thumb, passing them off to the rest of the party to reload, letting him have a bitching rate of fire
>>
Had an idea for a character, in 5e she's a monk/druid but a sorcerer would also probably work.

Basically a sword dancer from a foreign land, is on a journey to "learn every step in the dance of the earth." When she fights it's fluid and flickering, like snaking flames, striking with swirling kicks and punches, never actually using the purely ornamental sword. Occasionally sends bursts of flame out along with her movements, sort of Firebender-esque.

When asked if she's a wizard or whatever, she replies something like "it is no magic; for the untethered, the universe is the most nimble of dance partners."

Too cringey?
>>
>>48817159

Talk to your GM, nobody here cares.

Yeah it's pretty cringey.
>>
>>48815732
So when all hell's breaking loose, they'll be right in the eye of the storm?
>>
>>48816248
"You illiterate imbecile! You need to let it SIMMER. What were you trying to do, seal the skin, flesh AND bone? And what did you do to those poor carrots? They're yellow! YELLOW!"

>The next time they got into town, the cookmage took some time to come up with dishes that could be prepared cold as well as writing up "Instructions for stupid people to make food that isn't stupid despite finding themselves, irredeemably stupid and don't deserve the food" so that the other party members can prepare meals without his direct supervison.
>The rogue later copies and publishes the set of instructions in a cookbook. It does surprisingly well, despite the name.
>>
>>48816248
>for some reason im imagining it going a little like Kill Ari in NCIS
God, that was such a long time ago. That arc is so old, there's a joke about Gibbs wearing Old Spice because he's an old man.
>>
>>48817159
Donut as fuck
>>
>>48817159
>Too cringey?
If you have to ask...

I don't know why you're trying to make creative builds in a class-based game. The result never matches your initial ideas.
>>
File: 18.jpg (557KB, 1280x1965px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
557KB, 1280x1965px
>>48803525
>>48805186
>>
>>48818403

This comic was so good.
>>
File: coyote has tg pegged.png (165KB, 344x248px) Image search: [Google]
coyote has tg pegged.png
165KB, 344x248px
>>48806744
>>
File: dand_01_19-1.jpg~original.jpg (209KB, 597x948px) Image search: [Google]
dand_01_19-1.jpg~original.jpg
209KB, 597x948px
>>48818458
Yes, yes it was
>>
>>48818687
What is this and where do i get the torrent?
>>
File: neckbeard guffaw_1.png (92KB, 333x334px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard guffaw_1.png
92KB, 333x334px
>>48819022

>The life of a phonepleb
>>
>>48819022
Go to your nearest bittorrent site and type "dnd comic"
>>
>>48818687
>>48818458
Reminder that the Pathfinder comic was more successful despite it being increibly retarded.
>>
File: IDW-D&D-pages.jpg (348KB, 1200x900px)
IDW-D&D-pages.jpg
348KB, 1200x900px
>>48819078
Attaching images too hard
>>
>>48819082
Reminder that Pathfinder was more successful despite it being incredibly retarded.
>>
File: [RAUGHS]_1.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
[RAUGHS]_1.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>48819110

Top bantz tbqh
>>
Trailblazer. Can only create fire by running really fast, leaving behind walls of flame that still last for a hot minute if they don't catch onto anything. Only immune to fire while running. Can create miniature fiery explosions when jumping to double jump. Exhales smoke when breathing heavy from running so much.
>>
>>48798156
Theming and motifs my friend
Cooking
Candles
Hell fire
Dragons
You know something like that
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.