[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 46

File: OSR Logo.png (22KB, 1600x1169px) Image search: [Google]
OSR Logo.png
22KB, 1600x1169px
>Saved from oblivion edition

Welcome to /osrg/ - the OSR General, devoted to pre-WotC D&D, retroclones, and all other related systems.

Trove: DOWN ATM

Links: http://pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

Last thread: >>48722805
>>
>>48784057

>plot

There can be, but you should allow your players to discover it organically. A rumor here, a letter on a body there, a strange inscription in a dungeon, etc.

Hex crawls are about managing resources, but on a larger scale than dungeoneering
>>
Is there any reason to run AD&D 2e specifically, over other editions?
>>
>>48786143

AD&D 2e has the largest amount of supplements than any edition of D&D, and while inelegant and wonky, it does have more crunch to sink your teeth into.

I'd prefer to convert things to B/X myself, but 2e will mostly work right out of the box. It also has the best settings/presentation of 1e settings.
>>
File: Fearsome Gods.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Fearsome Gods.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Would appreciate any feedback on my homebrew.
>>
File: humans&households.png (2MB, 1280x617px) Image search: [Google]
humans&households.png
2MB, 1280x617px
>>48784057
The first thing to note is that if you've never run a "true blue" sandbox before, expect it to demand much, much more work than a tightly scripted campaign. One paradox is that giving players more choice often means prepping more in the way of details. The players cannot come up with a creative plan to stuff explosives into the crack on the golem's back if the golem isn't described in that deep detail, for example. Strong and detailed descriptions give PCs hooks on which to formulate plans and options.

It also means preparing to accept that some of the details will be "wasted" in the sense that players will not discover them - things like secret doors, for example.

Yes, you could simply do some quantum narrative tricks and re-purpose a small amount of prepared material for every player choice (i.e. no matter which way the players go, they run into your prepared ogre encounter), but at that point you're essentially running a more cleverly disguised railroad since the player's choices actually don't matter in terms of the content they experience.

My one recommendation is to start small. Don't worry too much about continent spanning adventures to start. Instead start by prepping a location of manageable size, like a mega-dungeon with adjoining town or a small region with a town in the centre. These create less headache for you by containing the action within a relatively small region - allowing you to prepare intensive detail in advance.

If you're looking for more, "Hex Crawl resources" on Ars Phantasia is a good spot to start.
https://arsphantasia.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/hexcrawl-resources/

Again though, it's important to start small - start at the dungeon or region level, especially if you've never done prep this intensively before. GMs that have been doing this for years have an easier time doing hexcrawls simply because they have more cast-off ideas to throw in ready-made.
>>
>>48786105
>Trove: DOWN ATM
>>
File: lotfpcsalt.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
lotfpcsalt.pdf
1B, 486x500px
From the last thread: Alternate LotFP character sheet I made. Not the most printer friendly, but I think it's visually interesting.
>>
File: dontpanic.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dontpanic.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
>Trove: DOWN ATM
>>
>>48788766
eh this is like the third or fourth time we've lost the trove since we started doing OSR Generals, it'll be back up within a week or two at the most
>>
So /osrg/, I want your opinions.
I just got slumbering ursine dunes. I was wondering if you guys think it'd be appropriate to run a campaign based around it. Does it have enough content or reason to go there for that to work?

I was thinking of having a village near it as a home base for exploration into it. Also prison of the hated pretender could work well as something to stick in it. As far as putting the dunes into a larger setting, my idea is that the government of the region for some reason tries to restrict access to the dunes but there are professional smugglers of artifacts and weirdness who enter it. Sort of a stalker vibe, have the rest of the world be much more mundane. A sort of "The year is 1523. You're in the crimean khanate but more importantly, you're right outside the slumbering ursine dunes."
>>
File: TroveList.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
TroveList.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey famalams. Good news I guess. Sometime last week I copied the trove to a mega account to be able to make pdf related.
A few of the very newly added stuff is missing, but here you go: https://mega.nz/#F!oN9XQRaR!3IOuPLcjR9zBh_xvIvrwEw

Not sure how long I'll keep that open, since I tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to copyright infringement, so let's all hope TroveGuy shows up soon, and imports it back to his account. That should be much faster than reuploading it all too.

TL;DR: Here is a temporary backup of the trove: https://mega.nz/#F!oN9XQRaR!3IOuPLcjR9zBh_xvIvrwEw
>>
>>48784057
One thing I'd recommend, for the "true" experience, is to take a look at some of the actual old-school hexcrawls out there.

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy are neato and all, but I'd recommend starting with something more restricted and, well, defined. The Wilderlands require some serious improv skills at times, not to mention all the mid-70s third-party OD&D funkiness the rules aspects of it have.

So grab your copy of Moldvay's Expert, give it a thorough read-through, and then read X1 The Isle of Dread.
>>
>>48788508
That looks awesome. My only gripe is that fish lade on the right? The face looks really fucking goofy. Maybe it'd look better/more eerie just without the face?
>>
>>48790208

However long it remains available, you are a gentleman and a scholar anon.
>>
In my next game, I want to make it clear that law and chaos do not explicitly correspond to good and evil respectively.

I still see Law and Chaos as primordial forces which must be in balance for the physical world itself to continue functioning. The ultimate victory of order would mean perfect stillness, and thus the end of all things. The ultimate victory of chaos would mean the abandonment of causality, ultimately leading to the same consequence.

Meanwhile good and evil are just "how much of a dick are you," which can create conflict, of course, but isn't the same thing at all.

For some examples of how this would look in effect:

>Halflings - Lawful (good) - Halfling societies all have their own quirks and cultural differences, but they tend to be based around a system of rules which are in place for the benefit of all, and which may never be broken but which may be twisted for the sake of showing compassion to those in need or mercy to the truly remorseful. Eight great feasts are thrown each year, in accordance with the beginning and middle of each season. Attendance is compulsory, and having fun is strongly encouraged.

>Goblins - Lawful (evil) - Goblin societies are led by mayors, who are elected in open ballots where anyone who votes for the wrong goblin can expect to be assassinated neatly and cleanly, according to the specific criteria laid down in local ordinance for such an assassination. Laws are seldom broken, and seen as absolutely essential to avoid falling to violent mayhem where few would survive. The most admired (and feared) goblins tend to be the attorneys, who can whip up a crowd into a righteous frenzy with their rhetoric about lawbreakers, albeit usually not without some help from their crew, who disperse themselves into the crowd to react positively to the attorney's speech.

(cont'd next post)
>>
(continued from >>48791283)

>Elves - Chaotic (good) - Resembling the wild/wood elves you may have seen in other settings more than high elves, they tend to have no leaders at all, decisions being made on a case-by-case basis by those who are likely to be affected by those decisions. Traditions do exist among them, but are not slavishly followed so much as brought up when some elves are bored and want something to do. Conflicts may occasionally be solved by violence, but this is a last resort and seldom comes up, as the elves are taught from a young age to consider the needs of others. Perhaps their greatest weakness is difficulty mobilizing for the solving of distant but serious problems, such as the slow encroachment of a human kingdom on their forest, until it has come to a point of conflict with the strangers.

>Bugbears - Chaotic (evil) - It has been said that the only rule a bugbear knows is "stay out of the way of the bigger bugbear," and that may be the case. Bugbear "society" is the kind of thing Hobbes was afraid of. When living in proximity of one another, each bugbear spends every waking moment trying to appear proud and unafraid, while never knowing when a lethal blow could come from behind. For this reason, they tend to spread out, only spending extended time together when extenuating circumstances or, more rarely, genuine personal affection makes the prospect more appealing. Instead, bugbears are prone to fall in with more neutral (albeit still evil) races like orcs, or even to find a group of goblins away from home and force them into servitude. However, goblins are not prone to take kindly to a despot, and more than one bugbear has been poisoned by the raiding party he captured and then been meticulously added to the list of acquired goods.

Anyway, what do you think?
>>
>>48791283

Alignment was originally concieved as law v chaos, with characters displaying various degrees of dichishness (typically increasing as they got more magoc and henchmen)

Elric books and Poul Anderson's 3 hearts and 3 lions both use this scheme and gygax recommends both in appendix n.
>>
>>48791505
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying I want to make a setting where it is clear to the players that "lawful" doesn't mean good and "chaotic" doesn't mean evil. I was mostly curious if you thought the descriptions of common practices among the four fantasy races described were a good way of showing that.
>>
>>48791535
Not that guy, but I like it. Seems like bugbears would have a hard time making more bugbears though.

Might help to have humans and orcs as the neutral example with slight good/evil inclinations depending on how you want to flavour it.
>>
File: 1461161100683.jpg (171KB, 600x765px) Image search: [Google]
1461161100683.jpg
171KB, 600x765px
How do you guys do halflings in your game? Just like LotR? Cannibal farmers? Something else?
>>
>>48786239
Can anyone provide advice on what the good sourcebooks are versus the bad?

For example, I bought the following sourcebooks over the past few months:

Tome of Magic
Player's Option: Spells & Magic
Complete Handbooks
> Fighter's
> Thief's
> Priest's
> Psionics
> Wizards

Any winners there? Anything to beware of? What else is recommended?

Thanks in advance.
>>
What to do about the board game challenge in Tower of the Stargazer? The idea is that the referee plays versus on of the players, but the suggested game to play is chess and that feels a bit "eh".

I really like the meta-thing of having the player actually play against the referee, and I really really don't want players to solve a puzzle or riddle by rolling dice against it.
>>
>>48792116

The Player's Option books are mostly a big pile of untested junk, but have some good bits in there. Combat and Tactics is the best of the three, and actually fairly solid. Spells and Magic has some neat stuff, some broken stuff, use your best judgment. Skills and Powers is just broken, and is the nascent form of what would turn into 3E.
The Complete books are handy as sourcebooks for the GM, but be careful about letting players just dive in and go nuts, some of it can be cheesed. (The Complete Book of Elves is supposedly the worst offender, but that may be more about people being angry about elves than anything else.)
I don't know Tome of Magic very well.
I do hear that the Castle Guide is pretty useful if you need to know anything about castles and keeps and stuff.
>>
Wolfpacks and Winter Snow question:
Which of the save categories (weather, poison, hazards and magic) would make most sense for avoiding the effects of radiation? I'm thinking most likely Weather, since it's an ongoing environmental effect, but that seems a little odd when I say it out loud. Your thoughts?
>>
>>48791864
I just call 'em goblins and leave it at that. Or, if I'm playing in a human-centric world, then they're the class for plucky child urchins.
>>
>>48790253
Isle of Dread needs even more serious improv and work than Wilderlands, IMO. Some of the hex listings are just "this hex has X".

At the very least Wilderlands helps you out by assembling some of the stuff into an adventure or encounter; Isle of Dread just gives you the ingredients and no recipe.
>>
So what do you guys think of this? Steven Lumpkin came up with this as a result of running West Marches, which was an attempt to run an OSR styled hexcrawl in 5e. He's abandoned that, as the system became increasingly untenable for the purpose at higher levels, but the guy's spent a lot of time thinking about OSR, and wrote these two pieces as a way of explaining how OSR gameplay works to newcomers.

http://roll1d100.blogspot.ca/2016/08/osr-gaming-player-agendas.html
http://roll1d100.blogspot.ca/2016/08/osr-gaming-referee-agendas.html
>>
I was wondering what people could tell me about Lamentations of the flame princess. Any opinions? What is it exactly?
>>
File: lotfp-godthatcrawls.png (4MB, 1240x3248px) Image search: [Google]
lotfp-godthatcrawls.png
4MB, 1240x3248px
>>48792692

It's a tight, streamlined retroclone based on B/X D&D. Its core rules are simple and elegant, and the game's intended playstyle, transmitted largely via modules rather than the rulebook, is a weird horror adventure in the 17th century, taking inspiration from heavy metal album covers, Hammer horror films, and a bit of Lovecraft.
It has strong role protection for classes, clean and easy to use encumbrance, and some pretty good early firearms rules.
>>
osrg, I need your help.

I've filled out one of Welsh Piper's atlas maps, because I want to try and do more than my usual points of Light setting. However, I'm an idiot when it comes to scale, economics, etc. Are there any guidelines to how big a country should be, on average? I know one answer is "Whatever suits your needs", but when I don't know my needs...

For reference, I'm going with a scale of 1 atlas hex = 25 miles across, so the entire chunk of continent is about 406,000 miles. Or roughly two and a half Californias. A single block of the Atlas would then be approximately 16,200 square miles, or 2 New Jerseys.

Assuming just bog standard B/X D&D, how many hexes should each country be? Would d6 hexes for poor realms, d12 for and d20 for good be unrealistic? I'm trying to hit a sort of early 17th century France/Germany feel.
>>
>>48793123

d12 for average.
>>
>>48792395
We played Cee-Lo.
>>
>>48792774
What do you mean with the playstyle being transmitted through modules?
Does it not work well for custom made games then?
Is it more of a lower fantasy then?
>>
>>48793123
I like to think about what sort of dynamics are possible.

A realm between a mountain range and the sea filled with dozens of petty kingdoms and duchies lends itself to military adventure, political intrigue, and so forth.

A few big, stable realms separated by oceans, mountains, and impassable jungle means opportunity for wildly different cultures and perhaps more wilderness exploration, or even kingdom building on the frontier.
>>
>>48793313

It means the unique weird horror stuff is all in the modules, the rules themselves are fairly general. So it works great for custom made games.
>>
>>48792774
You play it up well but what about the downsides? Every system has its own good and bad points.
>>
>>48793460

It doesn't have a comperhensive monster manual, so you have to use another B/X compatible one. But there's plenty of those.
Some folks may be turned off by the artwork, describing it as "edgy."

There's not a lot to say against it. It is one of the most well-received OSR clones. It knows what it wants to do and it does it well. Plus it has some amazing modules.
>>
>>48792620
>Some of the hex listings are just "this hex has X".
The wilderlands has a bunch of those too, y'know. It's mostly just the Idyllic Isles that are interesting - the rest need a fuckton of improv skills, especially with the random tables you can use.

Here's some typical examples from Map 1's tables:
Villages
>0115: Grita Heath, Pop: 110, Civ: 4, Align: CG; Ruler: Iskarban, CL 7, LG; Resources: Spices
Citadels & Castles
>0107: Citadel; MU 7, CE; 40 men
Idyllic Isles
>1901: Isle of Ampedocles - A castaway pirate who knows fears the return of a giant crocadile which hates him.
>4102: Isle of the Elect - A completely deserted city with a dungeon beneath the temple.
>4915: Isles of Wight - 56 extremely poor vikings and one longship.
>5116: Isle of Tombs - 1420 tombs full of undead and demons.
Lurid Lairs
>0102: 6 Minotaurs

Of course, even those isles require a fuckton of improv. The Isle of the Elect has an entire fuckin' dungeon underneath it, for fuck's sake.

>>48793123
>17th century France/Germany feel.
So what, the HRE? Well, I can't find any numbers on the size of the individual states of that but the size of modern Austria is roundabout eighty of those hexes.

Two Californias is a bit more than you'd need to cover modern France, for reference, but it's a bit small if you're talking Europe as a whole.

A country with twenty of your hexes would be something like 8118 mi^2, or the size of El Salvador - which Wikipedia helpfully lists as "the smallest country in continental north america". That's #148.

For some countries that are larger, how about Denmark and Switzerland (roughly twice as large), Ireland (three times and a bit), Greece (six times), or France (seventeen times as large, or 609 hexes in total)?

17th Century France was smaller, but still kind of huge.

Yeah, you don't really have any idea of how large the countries should be. Fuck, even the countries in X1 are all at least sixty-something 24-mile hexes!
>>
>>48793460
>>48793583
Some players may not like that only one class can even really fight at all, and only one class gets tougher as they level up.
>>
>>48793460
Not him, but LotFP is one of my favorite systems.

The only downside (for me; others wont mind) is that it keeps the level 1, 'one-spell-a-day' snoozefest that isn't so bad in a hexcrawl but is BOOOORING in a dungeoncrawl. I've added simple cantrips to my LotFP "World of the Lost" game to help alleviate this. I'm also integrating the Wonder & Wickedness spells to add some more flavor and magic items. I understand that magic is treated as bizarre, unworldly, incomprehensible and dangerous, but in a game, a MU that can only do one spell a day is like a thief that can only pick one lock a day.

It managed to fix small annoyances, like class weapon restrictions and giving clerics a spell choice at lv. 1. It's adventure output is high quality and most are fantastic. It did take away the ability for demihumans to see in darkness, which I'm mostly OK with, but Dwarves by nature should have it, RAW. Also, a lot of the modules don't have real 'support' for the 3 demihuman classes and if your players want to play as one, you'll need to alter the settings a bit to allow for elves and halflings etc or just flat out say no. Not a real issue.

There really aren't a whole lot of downsides to it.
>>
>>48793460
>>48793583
The artwork is, perhaps, not always in the best taste. Some of it's horrific and creepy and evocative, like the one I've attatched.
And then you've got that picture where a zombie's sticking its hand up a girl's vagoo, which is... less good.
>>
>>48793648

Enemies don't get tougher as you level up, though. LotFP makes the Fighter the Fightiest, which I think is a good thing. Other can contribute, regardless of level, but they aren't going to equal a dedicated Fighter PC.
>>
File: tumblr_m6ynldZEAx1r2p31ho1_1280.jpg (146KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6ynldZEAx1r2p31ho1_1280.jpg
146KB, 564x800px
All this LotFP talk is making me want to watch some movies to get aesthetic some inspiration. What should I check out?
>>
>>48793776
I actually taped that spread together because the other page isn't much better.
>>
>>48793656
i also feel the LotFP magic-user class is a bit uninteresting in the dungeon crawl situation. in both the NSFW and Cursed Chateau modules, for example, the magic user is next to useless.

i've tried the Beyond the Wall cantrips and found them uninspiring. the BFRP cantrips look better. what i used last time was that any spell from the magic-users book could be cast if they took 10-60 minutes casting it. it meant the spells actually get used but in combat the magic user still spends most of its time cowering in the corner.
>>
>>48793648
that's my favorite part! the demi-human classes are the only other classes i'd consider improving their combat stats, but at a much slower rate than the fighter.
>>
So I have this idea of running my players through a grand game of "Keep on the Borderlands" to "Against the Slavelords" and then through "GDQ". System is a mashup homebrew but draws heavily on AD&D, BECMI and a few things from 5e.

How hard do you think it will be? Each player will have 2 characters (5 players so 10 characters in total) but once they die they are done (once both characters die they can roll 1 new one).
>>
>>48792116
Personally I'd say the Complete Thief's Handbook is top notch. It's the peak of that whole series, nothing too unbalanced and tons of material for playing different kinds of thief.

The Player's Option books are controversial to put it nicely, so don't adopt much from that without due reflection.
>>
>>48792458
Out of those I'd say poison or hazards. After all, it's called radiation poisoning for a reason.
>>
Hey, can you all help me come up with some weird PC races? They won't be race-as-class, but I might borrow from ACKS by making race-specific classes.

So far, I'm removing all the small humanoid races (halflings, gnomes, and dwarves), and replacing them with a single race of three-foot-tall anthropomorphic moles (think less "furry" and more "Redwall but bigger"). They live in hilly, temperate areas where they cultivate forest gardens of nuts and berries and raise earthworms as a food source. I think I may give them very good dark vision and limited sight in bright light. Classes would include a guardian class, for those who protect their society from enemies both above and below ground.a psion class, for those who are born with a natural psychic talent and choose to develop it, and a thief class, for those who somehow ended up in a more urban environment among humans or other larger species and used their ability to see in the dark to become thieves. My only concern is that being able to burrow seems possibly too strong for a racial ability. Thoughts?

Any other ideas for races?
>>
>>48795243
How about something akin to the Galka from FFXI/Rogadyn from FFXIV? Big, burly, hairy with minor animalistic traces who are fine craftsmen but overall are not too violent (but make great fighters when they put their mind to it)
>>
>>48791864
Turn them into bipedal badger people.
>>
>>48792692
It's fine if you like adding more dice systems to B/X, and don't mind that only the fighter, wizard, expert and elf are worth playing. The rules are also terribly presented, and classes are too stuck in their niches.
>>
File: Marksman.png (769KB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Marksman.png
769KB, 1167x1654px
Thoughts on a Marksman variation of the Fighter class?
>>
>>48793916

Le Pacte de Loups
>>
>>48788508
Saw this on G+! Looks cool, man.

>>48796025
I can't really say that I like this. I kind of prefer the minimalism of LotFP's class selection, and I don't want it to become bloated with hundreds of more specialized classes.

What I would like though is for fighters to get their own pool of skill points to allocate among special fighter skills, including a Reload skill that you subtract from the amount of time required to reload a firearm.
>>
I proposed some rules for drinking contests on the odd74 forums, but I wanted to see what you guys think:

"If we want to emphasize experience over ability, here's an idea:

When you drink alcohol, you take subdual damage. You can make a saving throw vs. poison to half the damage (dwarves get their bonus on this save.)
Last man standing wins, and is awarded XP determined by the HD of his opponent.

If you want to represent a game of beer-pong or something, have the players make attack rolls as though attacking with a ranged weapon against their opponent's unarmored AC. If the attack hits, the target takes no damage but instead must drink.

I'm sure you could even incorporate hireling morale into this somehow.

You can keep things nice and minimalistic this way; instead of adding a new layer of rules to the game, you can represent drinking contests using an adaptation of the combat rules.

Your constitution ability is still involved with this, of course, as it determines how many hit points you have and thus how much subdual damage you can take from drinking.
Incidentally, fighters drink hard. Dwarf fighters drink harder than everybody with their save bonus, but elf fighter/magic-users drink hard too if you use the rule that elves roll hit dice twice and keep the better result. Clerics can't drink as much unless they sober themselves up a little with Cure Light Wounds. Non-elf magic-users are the worst class for holding their liquor."
>>
>>48796203
>doesn't want class bloat
>wants skill bloat
>>
>>48793916

Blood on Satan's Claw
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
>>
>>48796257
New skills are less intrusive than new classes.
>>
Is Mutant Crawl Classics out yet? If so, anybody played it? If not, when does it come out?
>>
>>48796292
Comes out next June. I backed the Kiskstarter. No word on if we'll be getting an early-release PDF.
>>
>>48796292
I ran the Free RPG Day funnel and I found it a little lacking. I mean, I know funnels are supposed to be lethal and all but I think that as-written it becomes less of a "story of how these guys became adventurers" and more of a "post-apoc tribesman murder simulator".
>>
Okay, serious question.
Letting magic-users cast straight from their(physical) spellbook, bypassing spell slots restrictions - good idea or bad idea?
>>
>>48796429
Integrate the DCC method. Have them roll to cast.

d20+Level+INT Mod over a Spell Check [SC]: 10+(Spell Level x 2)

1 is a failure with something disastrous.
2-[Below SC] fail and they lose the spell for the day.
[SC]+ is a successful spell casting.

This allows them to cast as much as they want, but with a chance of failure to try to balance things out.
>>
>>48796282
>New skills are less intrusive than new classes.
Iunno. A class has, maybe, one new mechanic that the player playing that class (and nobody else but the GM) has to learn. A new skill or bolt-on system requires everybody to know it.

Plus classes are way easier to slip into a campaign that other houserules. You can fit everything you need on one piece of paper and it's neat and self-contained.
>>
>>48791864
honestly depends on both the system and setting
>>
>>48796429
How long would a spell take to prepare? that's how long it takes to cast from the spellbook.
>>
i run a lot of OSR one shots, mostly LotFP modules. i'm considering replacing LotFP with Into the Odd as my go to system for one-shots. the rules are simpler, magic is "solved" by making it arcana, and it has decent death/dying rules so that the LotFP modules can be better experienced.

any one have any experience with Into the Odd?
>>
>>48797841
for those interested
>>
>>48796585
There should be at least one more level of success for the spells, that's a big part of what makes the spell system fun and exciting for players. It's especially cool if there's some level of the spell that is absolutely nuts but incredibly hard to get to.
>>
>>48792692
>>48793460
I would say the downsides are is that it doesn't offer much more than a cleaned up and tightly presented B/X ruleset. As others have noted what makes it feel more unique are the modules and content put out for it, rather than the rules themselves.

I don't find it a very big value-add compared to some other retroclones but there are people who appreciate the direction it's gone.
>>
>>48793916
maybe some of the non modern period hammer horror films?
>>
File: Bronze age diplomatic meeting.jpg (365KB, 1013x802px) Image search: [Google]
Bronze age diplomatic meeting.jpg
365KB, 1013x802px
Fuck, why is it impossible to decide on what setting to use, /osr/?

I currently have 3 open settings I could use for OSR gameplay but I can't for the life of me decide which one to use.

>High fantasy setting with bronze age aesthetics; central asia and india inspired in some aspects. Divine Bureaucracy runs whole world, less a religious thing and more just how everything functions.
Spontaneously generating goblins, boggarts born from human suffering, and rapey beastmen keep things dangerous. Humans are the playable race joined by gnomes (which are really a combination of elves, dwarves, hobbits, and gnomes put together. Hobgoblins, lizardmen, and twisted Fomorii cursed fish-men giants.

>Second setting is a lost city outside of time, featuring early 1920s aesthetics and junk or scrap yard technology to keep everything working. A mysterious and seemingly endless power grid keeps things working, keeping monsters in the darkness at bay. The city is always covered by night, as the sun never shines here. Different races include ayylmaos from many worlds and naturally humans. Guns are called Chimneys because they spit so much ash. Mysterious service tunnels house weird magic-ish things and psychics occasionally develop within the city's population.

I'm also considered making or finding something new to run but these two are my 'most developed'. Any thoughts on which I should try to run first?
>>
File: Class Pyramid 1.png (3MB, 3154x2493px) Image search: [Google]
Class Pyramid 1.png
3MB, 3154x2493px
>>48793776
>>48793583
I'd buy LOTFP if it had an up to date art free version available for print, as is though I probably wouldn't buy it as I really don't like the art(have a low tolerance for "edginess")

>>48796025
not bad, unlike >>48796203 I think more classes is always a good thing as long as there's a strong core set(which LOTFP has), but then I'm the sort of madman who would love an OSR system with a class system like this pic

>>48796596
agreed(although I'm not necessarily against skill systems either)
>>
>>48798530
Smash them all together.
>>
>>48798589

The artless Rules and Magic book is the current one.
>>
>>48793656
I'd argue this is a big incentive for magic users to start up a laboratory and start cranking out scrolls and wands ASAP. It also roots the party somewhat if they want to reap the benefits of ample spellcasting.
>>
>>48800022
Dub trip dubs speaks the truth
>>
>>48798530
>Fuck, why is it impossible to decide on what setting to use, /osr/?
Because in choosing one setting, you are discarding all the possibilities and potentials of all the others. It's the kind of thing that leads people to run kitchen sink campaigns, though by trying to include everything, you invariably end up compromising things and not giving proper focus to their logical ramifications.

As far as what you should run: I can't answer that. If you can't figure out what speaks to you more, maybe you should consider your players or potential players.
>>
File: fantasy.jpg (367KB, 1377x1112px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy.jpg
367KB, 1377x1112px
>>48794825
With that many characters I think you'll be fine. Just don't place the caves so close to one another, spread them out some so that the players need to explore the area. Have them have run-ins with the monsters outside of the caves (and maybe swap some of the monsters out for other things. One tribe of orcs in it could simply be replaced with a faction of human mercenaries and the players would never know).

I'd be curious to see how you string those adventures together as well. Are you using Greyhawk or a homebrew setting?
>>
>>48798530
What I do is I run a pretty straight medieval setting (well, straight D&D medieval so the society and pop density's basically at a 5th century level while weapons and armor are effectively high- or even late-medieval) and then the dungeons have portals to bizarre other planes, and faraway countries are as weird and shit up as people thought they were in early middle ages Europe. Sort of the closest thing to having my cake and eating it.

I feel like if I were to start a game now though I'd just draw a huge set of dungeon-style maps of a renaissance-era city built directly on top of an older Rome-era city which in turn concealed an even older substratum of a say 1980s New York-ish city and then below that maybe a hi-tech futuristic city, have the dungeon be the city and have the "town" just be the more or less safe areas on top and in the middle. I figure it'd be an assload of work to get right, though -- even the CSIO takes so many shortcuts with stuff like plausible city development, building height etcetera.
>>
>>48800987
>that pic
Man, that gives me nostalgia for early-'90s computing.
>>
>>48800987
>Winter Wonderland
>Epic
>Cave in the Hills
>Grue Cave
>Grindur
>Mage Tower
>Alchemist's House
>Gnome House
>Haunted Manor
>Necromancer's Lair
>The Old Hermit
>A Forest Trail
>Bandit Hut
>Garrison
>A High Tor
>Overlands
>Ravenloft
>Owlbears
>Troll Alliance
>Lost Woods
>Rampart
>Sand Pit
>Hell
Truly the greatest setting ever!
>>
File: Berserker.png (656KB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Berserker.png
656KB, 1167x1654px
One last class-hack. The Berserker. A modified Dwarf with an AB blatantly stolen from DCC.
>>
>>48800987
>>48801293
>Adventurer: "I thought Hell was bigger . . . and on another plane."
>Asmodeus: "We had to downsize, our utilities were too expensive.
>>
>>48801439
>That heating bill was out of this world.
>>
>>48801455

>Every time some incredibly rare event happened, the whole damn place would drop below zero
>>
File: Ornate Flintlock.jpg (130KB, 1800x643px) Image search: [Google]
Ornate Flintlock.jpg
130KB, 1800x643px
Early firearms in OSR, yes or no?
>>
>>48801597
I hate to say it, but depends on the setting.
>>
>>48801597
>>48801610
It also depends on the ruleset.
>>
1. How the hell did THIS DUDE make Within the Ring of Fire, which is actually a pretty good RPG if you want a certain kind of game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e0eGaRnAGI

2. Any other videos of people talking about OSR who have no goddamn clue what they're talking about?
>>
>>48801597
Sure.
>>
is there an anime osr?
>>
>>48801909
Do you mean:

>A. An OSR system meant to simulate anime?
or
>B. Anime series that resemble OSR play?
>>
>>48801909
Record of Lodoss War was based on an old D&D game though which edition I'm not sure of (has feels for B/X and AD&D 1E)
>>
>>48801946
>>48801994
A, an OSR system meant to simulate anime, but is good to know stuff about B
>>
File: kobolds.jpg (137KB, 1489x536px) Image search: [Google]
kobolds.jpg
137KB, 1489x536px
>>48801909
I'm unsure of the first question >>48801946 posed, but Record of Lodoss War is OSR as fuck, down to the dog-like kobolds.
>>
>>48796025
Once you make an archer class you start to take ranged combat away from fighters, much like how the introduction of the thief took sneaking and climbing away from the other classes.
>>
>>48802028
I tried to watch Lodoss as a kid and was bored to tears. Is it good?
>>
>>48802081
So?

Fighters still have an ascending AB that makes them more versatile; just as viable and powerful with a bow or sword. The Marksman is strictly good with ranged combat, especially firearms, but as limited as any other class that isn't a Fighter in melee.
>>
>>48802146
It has it's moments
>>
>>48802146

It' alright. Were you watching the TV show or the OVA? The OVA kind of expects you to know and care about everything already.
>>
>>48801293
I like Pegasus Port being nowhere near any kind of water, and
>Mount Knivur
Pretty funny to a Nordic.
>>
>>48802172
Cool.
>>48802195
I don't remember. I think I was just disappointed because I was hoping for comedy like Slayers, which I had just finished watching in its entirety (well, through Try, since that was what was out at the time).
>>
>>48801946
>>48802019
No, OSR games are about simulating something entirely different from typical animu tropes.
>>
>>48802288
Anime is a medium. There are plenty of anime that fit certain cliches and such, but as someone already said, Record of Lodoss War is pretty fucking OSR (it was actually based on someone's tabletop RPG campaign). Also, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar is about a group of adventurers who are terrible at what they do, and can't even beat a single goblin when they team up against it, slowly becoming badasses when they start using teamwork and cunning and being willing to run away and fight dirty and such. And that's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>48799777
but is it available in print?
>>
>>48801597
yes, modern and futuristic firearms as well
>>
>>48802371
He wants it without art because he is triggered.
>>
>>48801909
The Anime Hack
It might be shit though.

>>48802028
Based Jipangu
>>
File: guts_by_z0h3-d6bg4bm.jpg (147KB, 900x608px) Image search: [Google]
guts_by_z0h3-d6bg4bm.jpg
147KB, 900x608px
>>48801422
Nifty, but I think it could use an actual "berserk rage" mechanic, even something simple like (+1 attack/damage one time a day at 1st level, increasing to +2 twice a day at 6th level, +3 three times a day at 12th level).
>>
So what does OSR mean? And B/X?
>>
>>48801422
Also DCC and AB?
Please feed my hungry mind sempai
>>
>>48802876
>OSR
Old School Renaissance/Revival

>B/X
Basic and Expert D&D as written by Moldvay
>>
>>48802895
Dungeon Crawl Classics. Attack Bonus.
>>
>>48802876
Old School Renaissance or Old School Roleplaying, generally comes to refer to pre-Wizards of the Coast D&D.

B/X generally refers to the Basic and Expert editions of Basic D&D by Moldvay and Cook respectively.

>>48802895
DCC refers to Dungeon Crawl Classics, an OSR system based on older D&D editions

AB is probably attack bonus
>>
>>48802901
So OSR is just a group wanting to deal with older games?
And B/X would be the original versions of Dungeons and Dragons then?
>>
>>48802895
>DCC
Dungeon Crawl Classics, a retro-feeling game built out of the D&D 3.5 SRD

>AB
Attack Bonus
>>
Ah. Thank you. Much appreciated.
>>
>>48802924
>So OSR is just a group wanting to deal with older games?

Generally speaking, yes. Older games and new games that lean heavily on older sensibilities.

>B/X would be the original versions of Dungeons and Dragons then?

No, that would OD&D (Original Dungeons & Dragons) or the LBB (Little Brown Books)
>>
>>48802924

Group is too strong a word. More like a particular shared interest.

B/X is something between a rewrite, clarification, and expansion of original D&D. It's effectively a separate edition (D&D editions are a tad complicated).
>>
>>48802924
No, B/X is Basic D&D 2e, from 1981. Basic 1e is from '77, OD&D (0e) is from 1974.
>>
>>48802983
>(D&D editions are a tad complicated

Does anyone have the flowchart handy?
>>
>>48802924
The R is for renaissance, suggesting that you're making new and interesting things that harken back to a bygone era of greatness. So it's more about doing new stuff in the spirit of the old stuff.

B/X is the 1981 version of Basic Rules D&D, as opposed to BECMI (what I personally started with) or RC, which were similar but later retreads.
>>
>>48802924
B/X is actually two different systems though they are basically the same thing. Original D&D, or OD&D, was released several years before the B/X line. The B/X line was later developed into it's own line with it's own rules generally known as BECMI (Basic, Expert, Companion, Masters and Immortals). B/X (both of them) take players to level 14 where as BECMI takes levels up to 36 (for humans) and then Immortality when levels mean dick.

This was published alongside AD&D 1E and the earlier parts of AD&D 2E. Eventually the rulesets for BECMI were compiled, edited, slightly tweaked and released in a big book known as the Rules Cyclopedia or RC.

It gets confusing, I'm sorry, but there is a lot more to D&D than simply stating there was D&D, AD&D, 3/3.5, 4 and now 5.
>>
So LotFP would be an okay system for a more lower fantasy feel?
>>
File: D&D-Versions.jpg (235KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
D&D-Versions.jpg
235KB, 1600x800px
>>48802924
>>
>>48803089

Sure. You can run LotFP on an alternate Earth with magic and things that go bump in the night.
>>
File: dnd editions.png (229KB, 911x1470px) Image search: [Google]
dnd editions.png
229KB, 911x1470px
>>48803059

I have this.
>>
>>48803089
Yep. Over the Wall also has a very low fantasy feel due to the way its magic system works. You have cantrips that can be cast at will, spells that follow a typical "x per day" style, and then the more powerful rituals which require substantial time and money investments. So a mage can do petty magics without too much of a problem, but big impressive stuff is rare. It works quite well.
>>
>>48803105
Why does that chart label AD&D as 1977? The only thing out that year was the Monster Manual. The proper rules didn't start coming out until '78, and the game wasn't really playable until Feb '79.
>>
>>48802857
I think the possibility of a +4 to attack regardless of level or stats is a decent enough Berserker perk.
It's the equivalent of any class, aside from fighters, having an 18 (+3 mod with +1 AB) in a strength or dexterity stat.
>>
>>48803179
*Beyond the Wall
>>
File: 180334753.jpg (32KB, 395x326px) Image search: [Google]
180334753.jpg
32KB, 395x326px
>>48803195
I dunno. A berserker that doesn't actually have a means of going berserk feels off to me. The Attack Die could represent his shifting rage I guess. It's a solid class, I suppose I just prefer my Berserkers a different way.

At the very least it's given me ideas for a class styled after the Abomination in darkest Dungeon.
>>
>>48802330
>Record of Lodoss War is pretty fucking OSR (it was actually based on someone's tabletop RPG campaign)
Right, but that's because if anything it's simulating old-school D&D, not the other way around. (But I'd argue it actually simulates post Dragonlance-era Rules Cyclopedia, pretty fuckin' plot-heavy game there)
>>
>>48803397
You pretty much nailed my initial idea: the shifting dice represents his erratic bloodlust. Small enough to not make the Fighter redundant, but enough to provide random combat advantage.

If you have a Cleaving houserule, you're left with an even better offense in combat. Maybe I'll alter it to make rolls of 4 allow a free attack on enemies within 5'-10'.
>>
>>48803192
>Why does that chart label AD&D as 1977?
I think it's just convention to do that t b h. It's a bit like sports seasons that are labelled for the year they start in even if they're winter sports and are mostly played in the following year.
>>
File: Berserker.png (659KB, 1167x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Berserker.png
659KB, 1167x1654px
How about this? Rolling a 4 allows for a free attack on an enemy within 10'.
>>
>>48803764
Anything that promotes DCC's AB dice gets a thumbs up from me.
>>
>>48802703
link to anime hack?
>>
>>48803953
It's just another shitty Black Hack variation. Which are being shat out daily.
>>
>>48803863
Looks ded killy.
>>
>>48803984
I'm not sure what that means, but I like those words.
>>
File: Orc_Warboss.jpg (279KB, 1300x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Orc_Warboss.jpg
279KB, 1300x1028px
>>48804002
Orc slang meaning that it's ready to fuck shit up.
>>
Just read through LotFP. Is this guy some edgy shitlord? Half the modules end in almost certain failure.
>>
File: Lord_Protector.jpg (21KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Lord_Protector.jpg
21KB, 590x350px
>>48793916
Films
Cromwell
Witchfinder General
A Field in England
The Three Musketeers (1935)

Literature
The Thirty Years War by C.V.Wedgeood
The Armourer and His Craft From the XIth to the XVIth Century by Charles John Ffoulkes
>>
File: I don't see anything.png (656KB, 678x922px) Image search: [Google]
I don't see anything.png
656KB, 678x922px
>>48804577

Fantasy Fucking Vietnam, dude.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>48804617
So he's just this guy?
>>
>>48804617
There's a difference between FFV and 'an elaborate method of getting your characters killed'. S1 was not supposed to be imitated.
>>
>>48804669

There's also a difference between "Tower of the Stargazer" and "an elaborate method of getting your characters killed."

Don't be stupid, you'll do okay. Actually, that holds for S1 as well. And who says that "S1 was not supposed to be imitated?" What sort of silly >implying is this, anyway?
>>
File: ign-for-honorjpg-a3f115_1280w.jpg (225KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ign-for-honorjpg-a3f115_1280w.jpg
225KB, 1280x720px
Are there any fans of Red Tide here?
>>
>>48804759

Not familiar with it, what's it all about?
>>
>>48804759
The setting from Scarlet Heroes?

It's got a decent core idea, and the titular red tide itself is really cool, but the setting is marred with so much unintentional silliness that makes it difficult to read any of the fluff because I keep rolling my eyes at every sentence.
>>
>>48804773
Basically the entire world is engulfed by a red mist full of evil monster shit except for one particular island. So a giant refugee fleet made up of all these different ethnic groups sail to this island It turns out to be full of orcs who look suspiciously like black people and/or polynesians, only with tusks. Demons are summoned. Genocide is attempted. Hijinks ensue.

>>48804824 has the gist of it. Neat idea, but it can't quite stick the landing.
>>
>>48804773

Setting for Labyrinth Lord (by the author of Stars Without Number)

300 years ago, the last survivors of humanity fled to a chain of islands at the edge of the western seas. Something about the islands seems to be the only thing that keeps the Red Tide at bay, a cataclysmic entity that's destroyed the rest of the world. The islands were already inhabited by tribes of goblins though, who didn't accept the new colonists without a fight.

Humanity has split into a few territorial factions since then, including the Mandarinate of Xian, the biggest city and the new official seat of the Ninefold Celestial Empire (although the Emperor's throne has been vacant for 300 years), the Academy of Refulgent Wisdom (a horrible citystate run by an evil mageocracy), the Shogunate of North (where an immortal shogun rules with the power of the the hell kings), a confederacy of swiss/germanesque protestant sects, some vikings to the far north, etc.

There's also some unique dwarves living in a large hold south of Xian, giant hordes of goblins who hate each other to the west, and wandering immortal elves who generally hate everybody
>>
>>48804943

Neat! I think I'm going to have to steal things from this. I was planning on having a not-Chinese Mandarinate that evacuated to an island (to escape apocalyptic wizard wars, not a red tide) be a major faction, but I hadn't fleshed them out yet. Maybe I can rescue it from the aforementioned silly parts of this setting.
>>
File: 1424302599904.jpg (1MB, 1721x863px) Image search: [Google]
1424302599904.jpg
1MB, 1721x863px
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what would be some good ideas for running a campaign in Red Tide and wondered if anyone might have some insight.
>>
>>48805068
Yeah, Red Tide is one of those settings that's only real use is to steal the good ideas from and to make yourself feel better about your own setting by laughing at how absolutely terrible everything else is.
>>
>>48805120

Red Tide's greatest offering is its tags for semi-randomized setting/plot/character generation, but I like the setting a lot. What are your greatest issues with it?

Mine are the Kueh; their name doesn't sound very japanese at all, and the worship practices of the Hell Kings really doesn't make a single bit of sense.
>>
>>48804759
it's not bad, but it doesn't feel much like a D&D setting, which is honestly something that can be said for most OSR fantasy campaign settings I've seen(most seem like they'd be more at home with BRP/Runequest rules instead)
>>
>>48805151
Oh I've got a lot of issues with how stupid the execution is, but my biggest gripe is how schizophrenic the tone of the setting is. It can't decide if it wants to be a parody of pulp sword and sorcery or played straight, if it's intentionally silly or not, or if it wants to be grimdark or not. It's like it's trying to be everything at once, and completely fails at all of it, and reads like the tone of the setting changed based on the designer's mood at the time he was writing various parts and never bothered to go back and edit anything to match the changes in tone. That alone turns a lot of the setting into a complete mess before you even start getting into the details of all the stupid shit thrown in a blender that the author thought was a good idea at the time.
>>
File: Fleshwarped.png (15KB, 767x286px) Image search: [Google]
Fleshwarped.png
15KB, 767x286px
After being inspired by berserker anon upthread, these are my initial very rough scribblings for a LotFP class based around a sort of shapeshifter. My idea is for a sort of demonic possession, but it could be fluffed as a Beorn-esque skinchanger or the like. Trying to keep it very simple, in line with other LotFP classes.

I really like the AB dice, I might replace the flat attack bonus with that instead.
>>
>>48801909
I think Grimgar is pretty OSR.
>>
>>48798589
Im thinking of doing something like this "class" wise. War = Fighter, Faith = Cleric, Expertise = Specialist and Power = Magic user.
Could this work? Could it be incredibly broken?
Using LotFP as base system.
>>
>>48805960
For example, a dude starting as expert and then setting out for the path of war would need 2000 XP to level up and would then get the benefits of being a level 1 fighter. If he then found some old magic book and sets out for the path of power he would need 2,250 XP to reach level 3. He would then have the benefits of a level 1 expert, level 1 fighter and level 1 magic user.
>>
What do you use to take notes about the dungeon or world you are making?
>>
>>48805960
>>48805981
sounds interesting enough
>>
>>48806029

Zim desktop wiki for general notes. yEd for diagramming stuff. Pencil and paper for maps because fuck Hexographer.
>>
>>48798530
Use the second one. The first is a reasonably interesting high fantasy: reasonably interesting high fantasy is everywhere. The second is weird and original as fuck. Use it.
>>
>>48806029
Notepad++ and an actual notepad with a pencil, mostly. Oh, and I've got some note-taking app on my phone that I use whenever I don't have access to the other two.

>>48804728
>And who says that "S1 was not supposed to be imitated?"
S1 and Against the Giants and whatnot were tournament modules - intentionally deadly to test the mettle of the highly experienced tournament-level players, and extremely short so that they can be beaten within the tournament duration. Or, well, you can get reasonably far into them and then graded by how well you did. I think Against the Giants had grading based on rooms discovered or something, while S1 was just "how far can you get before you die".

Compare this to the types of dungeons that were played by the Gygax, Kuntz and Arneson in their home games - huge sprawling megadungeons that can't ever be beaten and are meant to be the focus of the campaign to some degree. Games where TPKs are, to some degree, seen as a failure of the DM - you're supposed to make a challenging dungeon for the players to make their way through, yes, but not so challenging that it's an unbeatable puzzle. Nobody likes a tyrant.
It should be noted that the Tomb of Horrors wasn't an unbeatable puzzle - it was a challenge put forth to Rob Kuntz, who beat it with flying colors because he was just that good.

Of course, then you get the issue of the only dungeons that actually get published being the tournament modules, while megadungeons stay unpublished until much later in D&D's lifespan - so suddenly an accidental culture gets created that expects the small clearable dungeons, which is also what gets catered to in later modules - not to mention the actively plot-focused modules that come later, be it Deserts of Desolation or Ravenloft or Dragonlance.
>>
Is there any osr game built for/designed/good for a sword and planet style game?
>>
File: 3frazetta.jpg (116KB, 920x629px) Image search: [Google]
3frazetta.jpg
116KB, 920x629px
>>48807602
Under the Moons of Zoon
Machinations of the Space Princess
Seeded Space
Beyond Heroes
Tales of the Space Princess
Searchers in Spaaaace!!!

And several others, I'm sure.
>>
>>48807602
http://www.grey-elf.com/barsoom.pdf
This is based on the old TSR OD&D module that got pulled.
>>
File: tumblr_mq4nmaN6xO1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg (145KB, 557x797px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq4nmaN6xO1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg
145KB, 557x797px
Are there any OSR settings and/or hexcrawls that deal with battlefields and wartorn countries?
>>
>>48807836
Plenty
>>
>>48807836
Qelong is probably the most notable one.
>>
>>48807870
Do you have any recommendations?

>>48807887
Thanks!
>>
>>48807836
not quite what you're looking for but Better Than Any Man might fit?
>>
>>48807992
I know about it. It's definitely something I can fit into a couple hexes but I'm also looking for bigger hexcrawls and settings to take inspiration from. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>48807953
>Do you have any recommendations?
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
>>
>>48786105
>>48787356
>>48788766
>>48788814
>>48790208
I go off the computer for one day and we get a copyright strike -- I'm pretty sure it was because of Blue Medusa, as well.

Anyway. Trove back up. Thanks for the anon who is keeping a backup as well. It'd be good if someone sync'd a backup of the trove every week or so to make sure we're caught up if my account ever gets deleted -- as it probably will, what with the repeated strikes.

https://mega.nz/#F!PEdzBJAB!Ti4BHHPiJpHZMoo9EiUF_A
>>
I just ran Tower of the Stargazer. Players liked it and stayed up till morning to clear the tower.
First time OSR players, they adjusted really fast after the door killed the fighter.
The rest was them getting smart and careful, and weighting risk against gain.
It was just 2 players, due to a lot of the planned cast canceling last second, so they somehow made it through (with the dwarf only getting 1 point of damage in a mirror), and running out of the place with around 15 thousand silver pieces, one angry merchant whose wife died thanks to poisoned wine, one angry wizard that swore he'll never forget their faces and that some dumb adventurer will free him sooner or later, and a nice tie-in for future maze of the blue medusa adventuring thanks to the medusa statue.
Highlights include almost getting sent to an alien planet and getting devoured by the inhabitants, but not figuring out the last step to the puzzle. Thankfully.
>>
>>48809251
Thanks TroveGuy, I don't know why you put up with the hassle for us but I'm grateful.

Anybody got Cursed Chateu and World of the Lost?
>>
File: Bill_Murray.jpg (37KB, 359x450px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Murray.jpg
37KB, 359x450px
>>48809251
based troveguy is based. thank you for everything you do
>>
Do you prefer AD&D 1e or 2e, and why?
>>
>>48811369

1e has the better DMG, which is full of Gygaxian advice and wisdom. 2e is better organized for reference. Both are kind of overly complicated, rules-wise, for my tastes, though. Basic all the way.
>>
>>48811369
1e mainly for nostalgia reasons (my uncle gave me his 1e PHB), but I have a set of 2e books too.

Pretty much this >>48811399

The DMG is full of useful tidbits, but I prefer a retroclone for player-facing material.
>>
>>48811565
Do you have any suggestions for an AD&D retroclone? OSRIC is the only one I'm familiar with.
>>
>>48811369
2e. Less Gygaxian mechanical nonsense. Shame it doesn't have the same charming prose.
>>
>>48798530
Run them for different groups, although you might just end up overstretched. Alternately, start planning both - you'll probably find that over time you're more motivated to work on one rather than the other.
>>
>>48792648
I dig it. Does a good job of outlining what makes OSR OSR, without trying to flog the One True Way to play old-school.
>>
>>48811663
Labyrinth Lord Advanced Companion and Swords and Wizardry Complete both have features from Advanced.

However--you may be better off asking "what do I like about advanced" and bolting that onto a B/X retroclone. As much as I look back fondly on the big black books I played with in middle school, I realized after many years that I had been ignoring so many fiddly rules that I was basically playing Red Box anyways.
>>
>>48811663
Castles & Crusades changes too much to properly be considered a clone, but it's an OSR game that's AD&D-based. It steals the unified d20 mechanic from new school D&D and uses attribute-based saves (though for all attributes and not just Dex/Wis/Con) but is otherwise decidedly old school. It uses attribute checks as the main method for settling anything that isn't automatically resolved through play (something it encourages).

It streamlines AD&D rather nicely, I think, and I appreciate the fact that it isn't afraid to make some changes, playing around with class abilities some, for instance, and taking vancian magic away from rangers, paladins and rogues. The one big reservation I have about Castles & Crusades is that saving throws start out very difficult to make and don't get any easier as you level. This, however, is easily remedied by only adding half your level (rather than your entire level) to the challenge rank of your spells and so forth.
>>
>>48812050
Not him, but I do appreciate the extra class and spell options that AD&D has (in addition to its rather extensive list of magic items), and would like to see a version of Basic with those added in. Similar to what Labyrinth Lord's AEC seems to be aiming for, though more streamlined than that, and retaining race-as-class.
>>
>>48812305
What could be easier than adding spells and magic items to Basic?
>>
>>48812452
Well, for one thing, I'd want to simply the spells. For another, I'd probably want to go through and weed out the spells that give the classes too much versatility or which stomp on the fingers of other classes.
>>
>>48811369

I prefer 2e because it's better presented, has great campaign settings, and also a mountain of options.

However, the DMG for 2e is just small amounts of advice and optional rules, while the DMG for 1e is meant specifically to be an aid to inspire and cut down on prep time. Despite Gygax's mechanics, his DMG does actually does do its job.

Ultimately, I think I prefer B/X and its clones over everything. I use the 1e DMG quite a bit though.
>>
>>48812305
>>48812452

>What could be easier than adding spells and magic items to Basic?

This. Seriously, you can just use them. Calculate spell ranges in AD&D 1e from the "dungeon" scale at 10th level, and calculate the 2e spells from 10th level as well for ranges. You may have to eyeball damage and institute caps, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Just don't replace existing spells in Basic.

>>48813049

Only add them in a case by case basis.

As for magic items, most of them work as is. The major issue is that they wouldn't be in the random tables, but there's nothing wrong with hand placing a magic item you think is neat somewhere. However, 2e magic weapons are occasionally more powerful than earlier counterparts, so you probably shouldn't drop +5 swords of sharpness without a really good reason.
>>
File: 1460054007327.jpg (131KB, 714x960px) Image search: [Google]
1460054007327.jpg
131KB, 714x960px
>>48811369
AD&D 1e for the prose, 2e for the actual mechanics (and not having to flip between both the PHB and DMG for rules such as attack matrices and such).

Also I'm working on a game that seeks to blend Basic with Advanced and a handful of rules that are nice from 5e (no fiddly +/- only advantage/disadvantage or rolling an extra die) to streamline a few wonky mechanics. It's still mostly a pile of notes but I'm leaving my job for around 2 months (moving and health issues) so I should get a good working alpha game up to you guys for proofing before November.
>>
Does anyone have good treasure tables for Carcosa?
>>
>>48793916
ravenous
willow
>>
>>48809251
And it down again.
>>
>>48816223
Banned. Working on it.
>>
>>48816241
There's a few authors in the OSR who are known to browse /tg/... and I'm guessing they're more vigilant around GenCon.
>>
>>48797989
By all means, go for it. It's a handy little system, definitely good for oneshots, since it's so minimalistic and tight. I especially like how starting equipment is done since it's the biggest time sink in OSR character creation in my experience.
You can also check the stuff this guy made based on ItO: http://questingblog.com/maze-rats/
>>
>>48809251
>>48816241
ZAK OF MURDER
>>
>>48801690
It's because he's very creative and good at producing awesome content and games. He just takes things he doesn't personally like, exaggerates them into a caricature, and then refuses to hear anything else. It's a horrible flaw, but he's damn good at certain elements of producing interesting things. You can even see it on display in that video if you can get past the stupid shit.
>>
>>48801690
Do you have a pdf, by chance?
>>
>>48817576
Used to, but it was watermarked. Friend shared it with the group for purposes of us all being able to play together. I'd buy it if it weren't so goddamn expensive for a physical hardcopy (the only thing I'm usually willing to pay more than like $5 for).

Check the PDF Share Thread?
>>
>>48817592
Doesn't seem to be in da archive. Oh well, will try to hunt it down.
>>
>>48817429
Go away Zak, your books have only gotten more bloated and useless since Vornheim.
>>
>>48817763
It's true.
>>
>>48817429
>>48817763
>>48818162
I only bought Maze of the Blue Medusa because I saw it here first.
>>
>>48818294
Same here.
>>
File: cathedralmountain.jpg (114KB, 589x900px) Image search: [Google]
cathedralmountain.jpg
114KB, 589x900px
What sort of things could you find in a lonely tower (material of your choice) deep in the woods, aside from Rapunzel?
>>
>>48818536
>Humans, brigands
>Humans, political exiles
>Dwarves, political exiles
>Elves, outcasts
>A low-tier outsider that got lost and can't get home
>A ghost, mostly harmless
>A ghost, mostly harmful
>A Heucuva that used to be the tower's chaplain
>Orcs trying to figure out this "civilization" business away from prying eyes
>A portal to another PMP
>A portal to the inner planes
>A portal to the outer planes
>10d6 skeletons
>A +1 longsword
>>
>>48818536
- A juvenile flying predator driven out of the normal envrionment for its kind by competition has made a nest in the top of the tower. It is fiercly territorial. Can you get inside the structure before it tears your party to pieces?

- The local nobility who owned and lived in the tower generations ago were alternatingly cruel and absent rulers, eventually lynched by their serfs over rumours of sorcery and demon-worship before the region was abandoned. The tower still bears signs of this terrible slaughter and may be haunted or infested by things far fouler than the products of man.

- Unwittingly built over a sinkhole the tower has partially collapsed, rendering exploration fatiguing, precarious and sometimes confusing. However it is the only point of access to a richly resourced underground cavern system.
>>
>>48818536
1d6 things in the lonely tower
1. A wizard
2. Religious zealots
3. 1d1000 frogs
4. A great item that slowly drains the life from anything around it
5. Doppelgangers of the PCs
6. Another tower underneath the tower that leads to hell
>>
>>48818536
>A vast repository of books of knowledge on an obscure subject. Pick something that could intrigue your players.
>An abandoned forge once used to create a legendary artifact.
>A deactivated portal, archway and runes of power still intact but not working anymore. Why?
>An abandoned church to a long-forgotten deity. The holy books contained therein could cause a theological revolution if brought back to civilization.
>A magical blade stuck in a stone. A suspicious-sounding prophecy is etched onto the stone.
>A wizard's abode. The wizard seems to be out at the moment, but all his guards and alarms are active.
>A wizard's abode, abandoned long ago. Long cleared of everything of value, but a few doors are still locked by magic...
>A faerie court. The tower will wink in and out of existence with the phases of the moon. Time in the fae realm flows differently.
>A massive hive of giant bees infests the tower. Some of the bees have learned how to speak broken Common.
>A dungeon stretching upwards within the tower. It's larger than the tower, both in width and in height.
>The tower is completely empty, a hollow shell. It lacks even stairs or floors. Who would build this, and why?
>>
>>48818536
The tower is a construction of a very high-level Wizard, an outpost or other construction disconnected from his castle. At the top is a giant (12 feet diameter) living eye, in a bronze housing, perpetually wetted with tears from a small machine which also pumps its blood. It will attempt to look away from anybody who comes near it.
>>
Anybody have modules to recommend that revolve around big spooky castles?

Besides Ravenloft.
>>
>>48818294
That's what I do with most pdfs. I pirate them, see if I like them, and then purchase the good ones.

I've bought nearly everything from LotFP legit..and all after pirating them.
>>
>>48818536
A magical gem that shoots energy at anything that walks on a road near it.
>>
>>48792440
can confirm letting players run rampant with thje handbooks is a bit risky. possible to make a strength focused elf fighter who can throw like 4-5 darts per round dealing minimum 7ish damage each at level 1.

>>48792116
the thief and fighter books are particularly good. the thief book includes lots of fun gear and stuff for urban adventuring. the fighter book includes a few combat options that add to the fighter arsenal, and rules for tournaments including jousting.
>>
>>48818536
>A smaller tower. Maybe even another smaller one inside it.

>A wizard obsessed with phallic imagery

>All the undead from Death Frost Doom plus one more on top of that

>A medusa-rapunzel

>It's just a solid cylinder with a roof

>1d4 Shivas
>>
>>48818536
>A tribe of nomads. They just roll their tower wherever they go.

>A barbarian horde worhiping that tower because they couldn't figure out how to burn it down.

>It's a titan's beer keg. He's pissed and he's pissed.

>It's a dice tower, some titanic geek lost it.
>>
>>48820496
>>48820313
>>48818629
>>48818756
>>48818790
>>48818891
>>48819103
We should collect these for Troll Gods. Would anyone object?
>>
>>48819290
Why yes, Castle Gargantua.
>>
>>48820724
Fuck it, go for it.
>>
>>48818536

The tower is actually a ye olde rocket shippe built by tribe of very dedicated kobolds who plan to set up a mining expedition on the moon.
>>
I need the rules for how to make custom classes in ACKS. I know they're on the players companion, but I don't have a copy with me and I need them to play in about 4 hours. I foolishly copied the summary of the class I wanted but didn't notice that it specifically referred to rules in the adventurers companion book.
>>
>>48821724

Check >>48790208 for a copy.
>>
>>48821828
>>48790208

Found it, thanks! Saved my day!
>>
>>48820729
Got a PDF?
>>
Where do people actually go to play OSR games online. I'm tired of being forever GM on the very few IRL occasions I do get to play.
>>
>>48822639
I've heard tell of Google+ games but idk how they're generally fucked with
>>
>>48822639
Roll20 though I will be the first to admit that that tends to be hit or miss
>>
>>48807779

Are any of these adventures or just rulesets/settings?
>>
>>48801597
As much as I love them, no.

I wouldn't want to include them with only the bare level of mechanical depth OSR games offer, as it standards I find the inclusion of crossbows unsatisfactory on a mechanical level. Actually, I pretty much always find that to be the case, they're marvels of engineering and some goddamn impressive weapons to boot, yet they always seem to wind up as shitty bows.
>>
So, has anyone here done anything with Mazes and Minotaurs? I've always preferred the ancient and early classical to the pseudo-medieval.
>>
>>48823540
They are rulesets/settings to the best of my knowledge
>>
>>48792116
Complete Book of Dwarves is best race book

Complete Psionics Handbook is best class book

The Will and the Way for Dark Sun is necessary addition for Psionics Handbook

Faith & Magic, Powers & Pantheons, Demihuman Deities: necessary for clerics. Priest's Handbook is deprecated.

Encyclopedia Magica / Wizard's / Priest's Spell Compendium are good reading
>>
>>48823553
If a bow does d6, then a crossbow could do d10 damage, and a heavy crossbow d12. Both normally take a round to reload, but you can take a hurried shot with a crossbow (but not a heavy crossbow), shooting the same round you reload it by accepting a -4 penalty to hit.

If you want to get fancy, crossbows and heavy crossbows suffer a -1 penalty to hit lightly-armored opponents (leather or unarmored / AC 6 or worse), but get a +1 bonus to hit heavily-armored opponents (platemail / AC 3 or better).* This makes them armor-busters.

*There is no adjustment against moderately-armored targets (chainmail / AC 4 or 5).
>>
>>48823908

Why are crossbows always inferior to bows in games? If crossbows were such shit no one would've invented them.
>>
>>48823934
An old phrase about training longbowmen is: Start with his grandfather.
The skill and dedication required to be strong and good with a bow is massively higher than simply being strong enough to pull the load on a crossbow, load a bolt, and then point and fire.
>>
>>48820724
If you guys don't mind I have a ton of other "make me a table" questions I was planning to ask later, all based on common hexcrawl or dungeon crawl setpieces.

Things like "what would you find in a shipwreck?" or "what's different about these gargoyles" or the like.
>>
>>48823934
I guess I'd say that RPGs focus on a very particular type of small skirmish combat, where crossbows don't tend to shine. They also don't tend to overcomplicate things by having rules on how difficult it is to learn to use a particular weapon, or on things like space constraints. Also, with D&D in particular, having crossbows do more damage would have a larger effect if armor was damage-reducing rather than accuracy-reducing. This would naturally make them good weapons to use against platemail. Finally, I suspect that D&D's designers were fed on stories of the glorious triumph of the English longbow at places like Crecy.
>>
Are there any more settings like Spelljammer?
>>
>>48824048

The only one I can think of is Dungeons the Dragoning, which is in part based off Spelljammer.

To be honest Anon when you have something that specific you should probably just try to make your own, which usually works out better anyway. Therefore you have a better grasp on things and have better control for how you want everything to feel and work.
>>
>>48823962
I love this shit, so yeah.
>>
>>48823962

JUST
DO
IT
>>
>>48824530

I'm working on my own, looking for inspiration.
>>
>>48823980
>Also, with D&D in particular, having crossbows do more damage would have a larger effect if armor was damage-reducing rather than accuracy-reducing. This would naturally make them good weapons to use against platemail.
Oh boy, a chance to break out the AD&D 1E Weapon vs. AC tables!

>AC
+2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 10
>Bow, composite, long
-2 -1 -0 -0 +1 +2 +2 +3 +3
>Bow, long
-1 -0 -0 +1 +2 +3 +3 +3 +3
>Crossbow, heavy
-1 -0 +1 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +4

Ranges are 6/12/21 vs. 7/14/21 vs. 8/16/24, ROF is 2 vs. ½, damage 1d6 vs. 1d4+1/1d6+1

Also, for a lighter comparison:
>Bow, short
-5 -4 -1 -0 -0 +1 +2 +2 +2
>Crossbow, light
-2 -1 -0 -0 +1 +2 +3 +3 +3

Ranges are 5/10/15 vs. 6/12/18, ROF is 2 vs. 1, damage 1d6 vs. 1d4

So overall, the heavy crossbows are a bit more accurate against lighter-armored (chain+shield and down) targets than longbows, have a bit longer range, and do a bit more reliable damage. However, they have a quarter the rate of fire - if you can get off more than one shot, the bow wins.

Light crossbows vs. shortbows is easier:
Benefits
>General +1 to hit
>+1/+2/+3 range
>+3 to hit plate
Drawbacks
>Half the rate of fire
>-1 average damage

Note that ROF 2 means that they will shoot first and last in the round, unless someone else has ROF 2 - ROF ½ means they attack once every other round on their initiative. So it's a tougher choice than it seems.
>>
>>48823962
I'm in too.
>>
>>48801597

Good ways to implement more modern guns instead?

I'm talking the basics here- Shotguns, rifles, revolvers, pistols, machine guns, maybe grenade launchers and stuff if you're feeling saucy.

What kind of stats should they have and how should they use ammo?
>>
>>48825432
Just make sure that shotguns aren't fucking short-ranged cone effects.

Ammo is easy enough for the single-shot stuff - just make one shot equal one bullet or shell or whatever.
Where it gets really tricky is machine guns, which can fire hundreds of shots per round.

I think you should look into more modern/sci-fi RPGs and check out how they handle full auto weaponry.

Or just, I dunno, go with usage dice or something and just up the damage/accuracy for full auto stuff.
>>
Are there any well liked (or even not) OSR games which use armor as DR rather than modifying AC? Not a huge fan of the whole "static chance to not die" thing.
>>
>>48820724
I don't object but I'm wondering whether I should be an attention whore and ask you to list my blog in the text or not.

>>48825956
Different poster in a similar vein, I'd love it if there's an OSR game that uses Wounds and Vitality instead of plain HP.
>>
I'm making my own OSR, and one of the features is that every class, as part of their class features, get henchmen from level 1.

I'm having halflings get 3 "cousins", fighters get 1 "squire", thieves get 4 "guildmates" dwarves and elves get nothing (don't think it works culturally to have them adventure in groups), but I can't figure out what kind of henchmen a cleric and the mage would get.

I'd rather avoid pedo jokes with "choirboy" or anything too overly "powerful" sounding like "crusader". And with the mage, a level 1 mage barely finished learning from their masters (or an academy), so having an apprentice doesn't quite work.

Any ideas?
>>
>>48826267

Clerics get zealots, and mages get homonculi.
>>
>>48826267
>I can't figure out what kind of henchmen a cleric
Acolytes?

>and the mage would get.
Grogs?
>>
>>48826279
>>48826305
I like acolytes, and homunculi, but what are grogs?
>>
>>48826267
Clerics get acolytes, mages get Igors.

Also, why can't level 1 mages have apprentices when level 1 fighters can? Or, fuck, why does it work culturally for halflings to adventure in groups by not dwarves?

Also, why enshrine henchmen in a class feature rather than using the somewhat traditional "anyone can get a henchman at any level if they have the money" thing used in other games?

>>48826342
A mundane fightery servant dude in Ars Magica, IIRC.
>>
>>48826267
Acolytes, and a familiar for the magic user.
>>
>>48826350
>Or, fuck, why does it work culturally for halflings to adventure in groups by not dwarves?
because I'm using a specific setting, it's not meant for general games. And they get other features to balance it up.

>>Also, why can't level 1 mages have apprentices when level 1 fighters can?
Good point. I don't know, didn't think about that. Might change fighters henchmen from squire to something else. Any ideas?

>why enshrine henchmen in a class feature
Why not? I thought it was cool. I mean, you get catles and mage towers and shit as class features too.
>>
>>48826342
>what are grogs?
They're the mundane servants of the wizards in Ars Magica, as >>48826350 says. I always understood the name to be based on "grognard".

Also, I agree with this:
>Or, fuck, why does it work culturally for halflings to adventure in groups by not dwarves?
The classic adventure tale with dwarves has to be The Hobbit, and there's what, 14 of the little bastards? Instead of cousins you could call them a "contracted company" or something -- again, just like in The Hobbit where apparently they have this whole shared-liability thing drawn up with Bilbo.

As for Elves I'd give them either animal companions of some sort, or enthralled human servants, depending on which kind of elf you want to have.
>>
>>48826350
>>48826486
>>Or, fuck, why does it work culturally for halflings to adventure in groups by not dwarves?
>The classic adventure tale with dwarves has to be The Hobbit, and there's what, 14 of the little bastards?
you know what, you're right. They get henchmen too.
I'll take the animal companion for the elf, but I think "contracted company" is a bit of a mouthful.

Any ideas on dwarven henchmen naming?
>>
>>48826503

Miners?
>>
>>48826503
Vault brothers?
>>
>>48826543
I like miners, I think I'll go with that.

I think I have all the names now, thanks /osrg/!
>>
>>48825432
See
>>48801700
>>
>>48826267
Check out Ambition & Avarice.
>>
>>48826703
>Ambition & Avarice
is it in the trove?
>>
>>48826267
>dwarves and elves get nothing

Dwarves are guided an ancestor's spirit. Once per day a Dwarf may ask the spirit a single question and the GM must answer that question truthfully. However, answers should be short, no more than three words. "Why does Ilsa want to kill Iago?" "Jealous vengeance" "How do we get out of here?" "Left, right, up."

Elves should have a dog. It's smart by dog standards (about 5-6 Int) and can understand Elven.
>>
>>48826768
Cleric has an acolyte. Mage has a scribe.
>>
>>48825956
I know someone around here has a picture with rules for adding DR to armour.
>>
>>48826762
I linked it somewhere asking to add it to the trove. Oh well, here you go: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1471363355
>>
>>48822639
Almost all on Google+ Hangouts.
>>
File: AC to DR.png (85KB, 1000x934px) Image search: [Google]
AC to DR.png
85KB, 1000x934px
>>48825956
>>48827151
>>
>>48827301
Cool, thanks.
>>
File: 190631.png (2MB, 900x1360px) Image search: [Google]
190631.png
2MB, 900x1360px
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/190631/White-Box

Thoughts?
>>
>>48828028
Nice art and layout.
>>
>>48827928
Statistical analysis of how that scheme for changing AC to DR affects damage per round. 100% indicates the damage is the same in both systems. 105% indicates a 5% increase in damage using the DR system. While there are a few outliers, overall the average damage inflicted per round changes very little. And keep in mind that when you see something like 120% damage for a dagger vs. unarmored, we're still only talking about half the difference between a d4 and a d6 for damage (since a d6 inflicts 140% the damage of a d4).
>>
>>48823962
Do it.

1d6 things in the shipwreck
1. Magical spyglass that reveals the contents of people's pockets
2. Compass that always points to the nearest other compass
3. Boat's wheel made of silver, contains Sumerian demon
4. The horned king of all seagulls, it has made its headquarters by the wreck
5. A lemon that, if eaten, instantly cures scurvy
6. Peg-leg that, if attached to stump, slowly forms into a new leg over the course of a year
>>
>>48822210
It's in the trove, in Labyrinth Lord "Modules" folder.
>>
>>48828307
Trove is down, anon
>>
>>48828343
Why do you lie like that anon?

I posted a backup here >>48790208
and troveguy has also posted his redone trove here >>48809251
Though I'll take my down soon I think.
>>
>>48828386
Troveguy's backup is dead.
>>
>>48828386
By the way thank you for that backup, you're a life saver. Decided to back it up myself while it's in this flux. I'll try to sort all the stuff out, it needs that desperately in some places.
>>
>>48827738
I'm genuinely asking, but what are the advantages of Hangouts over roll20?
>>
File: serveimage.png (345KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
345KB, 400x600px
>>48800987
>Jaffa's Lair
>>
>>48828431
Yikes! That was fast.
>>
>>48828506
Better chat. There's also integration between the two.
>>
>>48828028
This might replace Swords & Wizardry Whitebox altogether.
>>
What are some good modules for B/X where the focus is almost entirely on dungeon crawling with little to no combat?
>>
>>48826243
> I don't object but I'm wondering whether I should be an attention whore and ask you to list my blog in the text or not.

Go for it!
>>
>>Dino-Riders are are a sub-class of fighters. >>They come from a tribe of lawful Purple >>barbarians that live in Hex 2005 of Carcosa. >>They are led by a lawful Red barbarian, who >>seeks the death of the Bone Sorcerer, “The >>Consumed God” and the Incomparable Crown.

>>RESTRICTIONS: Dino-Riders must be Lawful >>in Alignement, have a Strength, Dexterity, and >>Constitution of at least 13 or higher.

>>SPECIAL ABILITIES: Allosaurus companion. >>All Dino-Riders begin play with bright red >>allosaurus (AC 15, MV 120’ HD 10, Neutral).

>>Starting equipment: Leather armor, shortsword, >>lance or short bow.

What's a fair experience progression?
>>
>>48828931
Tower of the Stargazer.
>>
>>48828931
In Search of the Unknown
>>
>>48829107
Same as Fighter
>>
>>48829193
Even if Space Aliens modify it at level 5? (Free roll on the energy weapon table)
>>
>>48829107
Looks like Elf progression to me. That's still hardly a suitable cost for having an HD10 pet at level 1, but bigger numbers won't do any good.
>>
>>48829216
Yes
>>
>>48828931
Seconding Tower of the Stargazer.

Also The God That Crawls, although a) it revolves around a nigh unbeatable monster that chases you b) you'd better get familiar with the contents, since items are of the usual LotFP variety. Be aware of what your players can get their hands on, if they don't die. Also map is quite complex, if you do mapping.

Tomb of the Iron God assumes combat, but it's most of the hostiles are presented in wandering monster tables, which you can discard easily. You'll have to spice it up with other stuff, but I did it anyway, it's a great adventure to hang your ideas on.
>>
>>48829107
>AC 15, MV 120’ HD 10, Neutral
get-that-shit-outta-here progression
>>
File: 1462124824760.jpg (157KB, 567x726px) Image search: [Google]
1462124824760.jpg
157KB, 567x726px
Describe your ideal OSR game (not system, the actual game).
>>
>>48829152
>>48829178
>>48829293
Thanks. I really want to run Basic for some friends and I was going to run B2 but after watching the Roll20 Presents on it, there’s just too much combat.
>>
>>48826243
>Different poster in a similar vein, I'd love it if there's an OSR game that uses Wounds and Vitality instead of plain HP.
wounds and vitality? How does this work?
A few systems use Flesh and Grit, which might be a similar system?
>>
>>48829637

One session or the whole campaign or both?
>>
>>48829772
Either/or/both
>>
>>48829637
Players come up with an unconventional solution to a problem
Players figure out how to use a weird item
Players figure out how to defeat a dangerous foe
Players learn something new
Players (and PCs) overcome insane odds
All PCs die
>>
>>48829637
It's a sandbox that starts out small and gradually expands. It's fairly diverse but the world has a tone and it doesn't feel as silly kitchen sink. DM maintains the tone really well even when players don't. He’s a straight man while everyone else can be as silly or as serious as they want and everyone’s ok with that. He's good at improvising and has his off days, but players don't expect top performance every time and everyone has fun even when things are comparatively tame and don't explode with creativity.

It's a regular game, open table, but players rarely miss more than 1 or 2 games because they're really engaged. They share information with each other, they discuss the game, DM often incorporates their ideas with his own spin on them. Players are usually really happy about it and can roll with punches if it's something that made their lives harder.
Plot is emergent, but eventually players develop goals and are really focused on them. Sometimes characters even retire because they feel like they’re done for now, creating new NPCs. A lot of their deeds change the world around them significantly, in surprising ways. Of course, not enough to make this big bad world their bitch.

Setting and its history are really well conveyed in treasure, magic items, random encounters in cities and wilderness. It has science fantasy elements, which is one of the secrets about the world you can uncover. Published adventures and settings make about 30-40% of content and are integrated in the world well.

Players are smart and creative and reckless. Even though they’re pushing their luck sometimes, there's probably not too much death since everyone is getting better at the game and DM is fair. TPKs are really rare.

Nobody really thinks about mechanics too much but they can use them to their advantage.
>>
>>48830834
When they meet new races and establish friendly relationships, they sometimes unlock new PC races. Players can play as a new thing but no-one abandons the idea of resurrecting their recently dead character all too quickly to try it out.

Dungeons, wilderness, cities, seafaring, occasional plane-hopping. Every kind of adventure will appear in this campaign at some point. Traps in the dungeons are becoming more creative and solvable through description. Some players are really good at mapping now and together with DM they developed an efficient way of quickly communicating all of that stuff so it’s fast and fun and everyone feels it’s important activity and it doesn’t slow the game at all. Or when it does, no-one feels bored.

It lasts at least a year and probably ends in resolving something that counts as major plot now. Whatever, it’s just satisfying so now everyone can rest and do some silly oneshots or playtest a new thing.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1471380191872.jpg (37KB, 388x650px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1471380191872.jpg
37KB, 388x650px
>>48829637
Pretty much this.
>>
>>48829686
It's from the Star Wars RPG. Max Wound Points are always equal to your Con. Max Vitality Points are determined by class hit die + Con modifier. Crits and VP reaching 0 start subtracting from WP, which imposes a penalty and eventually causes death.

>>48829040
I'm >>48818629 and my blog is buzzclaw.blogspot.com
>>
New thread: >>48831465
>>
If I remove weapon training in DCC, will I have removed a vital and core component of the game or is it all good?
>>
>>48831486
It's just there as an additive to allow penalty free usage of weapons classes aren't usually trained in. So you can have a thief with a Warhammer if their job used to be a blacksmith or something. I'd keep it in.
>>
>>48831538
Thanks for answering, but I was referring to weapon training overall, as in certain classes are trained in certain weapons. I know it's a bit of a contested issue overall in OSR but I don't know how important it is for DCC.
>>
>>48831609
Ah gotcha. Well, I say if LotFP can ditch it, so can DCC.
>>
>>48831644
Alright, thank you for the advice!
>>
>>48831798
Just remember: if it was truly game breaking, they prolly wouldn't have made it a possibility to begin with.

If a dude finds a 2-handed bastard sword during a 0-level, uses it, then becomes a wizard, RAW says he's trained in the last weapon he used. You got yerself a muscle wizard.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.