[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which popular games today will still be played in the 22nd century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1470804346539.jpg (352KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470804346539.jpg
352KB, 800x600px
Which popular games today will still be played in the 22nd century?
>>
File: Future Nerds.jpg (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Future Nerds.jpg
247KB, 1920x1080px
>>48782902
DnD, or whatever incarnation has survived to that point.

Fallout 4 has a building, where several of of the monitors were being used by their former workers for a play-by-post dnd session. Pic related is one of the messages.
>>
>>48782902
Chess, checkers, etc. the tabletop games that have been going strong since the 19th and won't stop short of total human extinction
>>
>>48782902
Chess probably. It has survived for centuries already, it will probably still be played for a while yet.
And yes it's solvable, and computers already beat humans. But I doubt humans even in the 22nd century will be able to play optimally.
>>
>>48782902

Depends. Assuming TSHTF? And on a one-century timeline and against the average trajectory of civilizations in history, this is pretty likely.

WoD will be incomprehensible. Its big strength is that the setting is the real world, darkened with tropes from film and TV. Plus, and this rolls in most other modern settings, it's dark and dystopian. Nobody in a dystopian future will want to hear their well-off, complacent ancestors bemoaning a fake future that was way better than the one that actually happened because said ancestors were busy playing RPGs and not preventing the Fall.

So instead we look at past and fantasy settings. D&D is an obvious choice, and plus there's a ton of books and PDFs floating around. Who can say which edition will survive, but if any game makes it that far, D&D's the one you bet on.

Optimistic retro futures might also work. The blush is already coming off the Star Wars rose, but it's bright and airy and fun. It draws on all the right cliches. 40k is a little too dark, I think. Settings like Star Trek and Eclipse Phase are grounded in marxist theory, and that pretty much ages like milk in sci fi. Marxism is ever-green with writers, don't get me wrong; it's just that it has to be entirely re-imagined every decade or so because any given application of it falls apart.

Then we get to setting-agnostic systems. FATE and GURPS, basically. I think one or the other or both will survive in some form. Though the games you play in those systems will change greatly. GURPS already supports alternate tech paths, and its gritty realistic modern combat is a perfect fit for people who will have more than a passing acquaintence with real firearms and combat IRL.
>>
>>48782902
Poker
>>
>>48782981
Also, Tragic: the Gathering, if fallout 2 is any guide.
>>
>>48783178
>D&D

No one plays the first or second editions anymore, and those only came out a few decades ago. The same thing will happen the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. Eventually, they will stop making new editions, and that last edition will cease being played a few decades later.
>>
>>48783178

Special mention for GURPS: individual settings.

Banestorm is a history-derived Tolkienesque fantasy. It'll be as fun or moreso in a hundred years.

Transhuman Space will be utterly dated and obsolete-- but probably has what it takes to reimagine itself as a sunny, retro-future alternate time line.

After the End will be a little too close to the mark, and will probably be rendered obsolete by its failed predictions and inaccuracies. Even good predictions look bad in hindsight. Reign of Steel will depress EVERYONE.

Dungeon Fantasy is a little too generic. I could see it merging into Banestorm, but not standing on its own. It's great, but a little too calibrated for today's market.

Infinite Worlds will be a champion setting, perfect escapism. Imagine a world where the Fall never happened! You and your pals steal a conveyor and end up in a stable, happy, prosperous, free future. Or bum around the multiverse, looking for a way to save what's left of the world by recovering so much that had been lost.
>>
>>48783223
>No one plays the first or second editions anymore, and those only came out a few decades ago.

You are mistaken. People still play 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, and Basic too. Check out OSR.
>>
>>48782902
I know not with what games the third world war will be played, but the fourth will be played with sticks and stones.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.