[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One Roll Engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (24KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 265x265px
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/One_Roll_Engine

What does /tg/ think to the One Roll Engine?

A great way to streamline combat to a into single roll? Or an overtly complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist?
>>
>>48782534
Basic it's work like poker dice

You roll a dice pool of d10s, the number of dice that match decide the speed and damage of an an attack while the face value of the matching dice (height) decide accuracy.

The main advantage is it's one of the few systerm to handle 'simultaneous' combat in a quick manner.
>>
>>48782534
Okay, but not revolutionary.

It seems conceptually elegant, but in practice you're still rolling a pile of dice and taking some time to crunch that into a result. For some games, a simple pass/fail is better.
>>
>>48784740

The genius is in making the dice mechanics integrally incorporate dynamic initiative, so everyone works out what they're trying to do, which is generally fairly quick, and then everyone rolls at the same time and begins working out how they did, so there's much less of that "and now everyone else at the table waits patiently for the slow dice roller to get on with things" as they're all busy seeing how they did and processing their rolls and how they want to apportion things.

Combat in ORE games is thus a lot snappier and less time consuming, fewer cases of the party spending the better part of an entire gaming session wanking away in a fight with low level goblins.
>>
>>48784976
That's the biggest boon, there is no waiting your turn to go.

The down side is there is a lot of comparing numbers.
>>
>>48782534
It's okay I guess, but any game like that, where I roll a handful of dice and have to start like breaking them into groups and assigning ratings, I just fucking hate that shit.

The logic behind it, I guess, is that other games will have you making multiple rolls to determine an outcome, so this one is simpler because it only has a single roll. Which is a sound concept, but I've played plenty of games with single rolls or multiple rolls that were still simpler and faster than ORE.

I guess, if you want rules light, give me rules light. Abstract stuff and be fast and dirty. But don't try to say you're simple, then still have shit like sliding scale stats and hit location charts. It just contradicts itself.
>>
>>48787880
>don't try to say you're simple
Never heard someone call it simple, just fast.
>>
Would be better if one or the other didn't come out ahead so often.

Am I racing? Only width matters. Am I taking a math test? Only height matters.

Depending on how combat's set up, either only width matters, or both matter but only because the defense has to beat both to not eat shit to the face.

It's a two-dimensional resolution system that rarely has two-dimensional results, but is otherwise harmless.
>>
>>48788021
Okay, Captain Semantics.
>>
File: smugiki.jpg (22KB, 473x357px) Image search: [Google]
smugiki.jpg
22KB, 473x357px
>roll 1d20 for every action
>high results mean success
>low results mean failure
>medium results may indicate success or failure, based on context
this system is perfect for people that don't give that much of a shit about the crunch and actually want to get down to the fluff
>>
I could see it becoming very quick once everyone is comfortable with it, but the curve is gonna put people off.

I'd give it a go, but I'm a bit more open about new systems than most I've played with.
>>
File: Mercury Transit.jpg (1MB, 1920x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Mercury Transit.jpg
1MB, 1920x1202px
>>48782534
Best dice mechanic.

Fast and simple, yet highly detailed and unambiguous.

The biggest advantage is the strategy during resolution. Which set to use for which action introduces another dynamic layer that can completely fail actions of others.

The most endearing quality though is how straightforward and flexible it is to mod. The basics are pretty gamist. But with the very flexible rules it is easy to mod in narrativist dice tracks or take care to preserve simulationist realism. Everything balances in the dice pool and that makes it very simple to balance.

I don't know any other set of mechanics which have been published with so many vastly different games. Most just change the equipment and skill list. ORE changes the whole game dynamic. From a Relationships stat over moral attributes all the way to the next player over managing my super powers, ORE can do it easily. At the same time it never becomes a pile of options where players have to reference 3 books to prepare a roll. Each ORE game is a game in and of itself, it's one book, and you'd never know there are other games using the same basic mechanics if it wasn't for the Internet.
>>
I love the ORE random character generation. Other than that I prefer simpler combat mechanics
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.