[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 48

File: tianhua-xu-8d.jpg (330KB, 1500x2217px) Image search: [Google]
tianhua-xu-8d.jpg
330KB, 1500x2217px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Dwarf Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
>>48758522
>>
5e races I've seen, ranked by how many I've seen of them:
- Humans
- Tieflings
- Dragonborn and half-elves
- Dwarves, half-orcs, and halflings
- Elves and gnomes

Anyone had similar experiences?
>>
>>48777939
You play with terrible people.
>>
>>48777939
For me it's
-Humans
-Half-Elves
-Dragonborn
-Tieflings and Goliaths
-Everything Elves
>>
File: dwarfstability.gif (131KB, 676x102px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfstability.gif
131KB, 676x102px
>>48777889
>Dwarf Edition
>>
>>48778001
You, too. >>48777966

Check how a real party operates.
>Humans
>Dwarves
>one Halfling and they're a serious nature person, not a Kender wannabe
>>
>>48778021
>dwarves
>a halfling
Seems like the party is coming up a little short.
>>
>>48777939
If I count every 5e game I've been in I think it's overwhelmingly human
Then one of pretty much every race (but not subrace) aside from tiefling and half orc which there have been none
>>
>>48778051
>you can come to this secret meeting but only two of you are allowed
>send the cleric and the halfling sitting on the dwarf's shoulders in a trenchcoat
short races are the best
>>
>>48777820
You could also amount 1 to bad luck.
Say, the covering person moves just at the wrong time.
Your reflexes don't manage to account for the person moving.

Or, yes, there could be someone on the other side of the person, and the DMG cover rules don't really acount for it.

The archery is mostly at close ranges. In real life, I think you can definitely shoot further than the rulebook allows (Maybe up to 800 feet even with a bow if you're lucky), and that's considering players are often superhuman and would probably achieve those ranges.

So... I can't imagine arrows falling short if you're looking to shoot through people.

But, yes, I wouldn't expect it to shoot very far wide, even on a critical failure. I wouldn't dream of making a skilled archer shoot someone 10ft to the side of their target unless it was a REALLY long shot or there was some factor putting them off.

I'd always like to consider nat 1s conditional crit failures, where it's only a critical failure if there's a condition that can make it so. i.e., there's a child standing right behind who you're shooting.
>>
>>48777939
For me
>humans, definitely fucking humans, so many fucking humans
>elves
>dwarfs
>half-elves
>half-orcs
>gnomes
>dragonborn
>goliath
Never seen a halfling, not even once. None of those other extra races aside from goliath either.
>>
>>48778001
>>48777939
>>48778021

This is kind of strange to see: back in my 3.5 days, you saw almost as many elves and half-elves at the table as you did humans.

Is there anything particular about 5e that would lead to so fewer elf players?
>>
>>48777939
for me its
2 gnomes
2 dragonborn
2 half orcs
2 humans (both me)
and then 1 of almost everything else thats been published.
no elves, no tieflings, no genasi
>>
>>48778184
Well, the LotR movies all came out shortly after 3e did. That probably had a significant impact on it. Conversely, the Hobbit movies haven't mad as big of a splash as they did.
>>
>>48778184
All the elf fags are still playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>48778209
also i should note my group doesnt play with v humans, just vanilla +1 across the board humans.
>>
>>48777939
- Half-elf
- Human
- Halfling/Dwarf/Elf
- All other PHB races
- DMG race/Elemental Evil race/UA race

Lots of SCAG customization.
>>
>>48778021
I have ideas for a Dwarf ranger, Goliath rogue and High-Elf Feylock, but I'm also a forever DM so I'll likely never get to play them.
>>48778184
>Is there anything particular about 5e that would lead to so fewer elf players?
I think it might just be that humans get a free feat. I might say 'no variant humans' next campaign, see if that encourages more variety.
>>
>>48778317
For most classes, I'd rather play a Half Elf than any normal elf. Those two free skills are nice.
>>
Is the Aarakocra imbalanced? It seems that having a fly speed for level 1 would break combat way too much.
>>
File: tumblr_m60jzfbA4E1qixjqjo1_500.png (317KB, 316x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m60jzfbA4E1qixjqjo1_500.png
317KB, 316x750px
>>48777939
For me it has been:

Humans
Elves/dwarves
Half orcs
Half elves
Halflings/dragonborns/tieflings
Goliaths

As a side note, I have never seen or even heard mention of a player playing as a duergar. I know the subrace is pretty poor but it does surprise me that it's talked about so little.
>>
>>48778457
having played a few one shots with a continuous party, including an aarakocra bard (college of blades or something, more combaty than valor bard), its not so bad.
they can't lift people over pit traps very effectively, the combat flying thing is a moot point when most of our combats have been in dungeons, and the player that plays it isn't really a min maxer at all and just likes making bird noises (tee bee aitch). so idk. in the wrong hands i don't even think it would be that OP. but again our guy isn't really set up to take advantage of it and hes not very... creative... with his combat or anything anyway (though he is with his rp).
>>
>>48778642
I see. Thanks for the insight.

I'm mostly just worried about mix-max players who make an Aarakocra and just sit up in the air with ranged attack/spells while never being in any sort of danger.
>>
>>48778184
Half-elves are perfect skill monkies.
Elves are rogue/monks.
Humans get a free feat with versatile bonuses, which is much harder to come by, and usually cannot be obtained until level 4 where people would want to increase their main stat anyway.

>>48778457
I've a character that can fly, though nobody knows it yet. They haven't flown once, but I'm sure they will soon.
While flying can be incredibly powerful in one versus one, you often have the rest of the party fucking about.
It's the same problem as with devil's sight + darkness. You become a god of the night, but everybody else is left behind in a pool of 'what the fuck?'
>>
>>48778749
How does your own party interfere with your ability to fly? You can just stay above them.
>>
hey /tg/
i have a new DM who wants to start a longer campaign and i was invited to join. Our characters start at 3rd level. Now.. i normally play a paladin but i wanted to try something more interesting. I was thinking monk or ranger. I kinda like the idea of a ranger built like The Witcher... a melee combatant specialized in tracking and precise strikes. Is something like that viable ? is it a bad idea ?
>>
>>48778796
Maybe the damage isn't being divided enough so instead of the 5 goblins splitting up to fight your party they all focus one guy down and kill him
>>
>>48778803
Depressingly, the Ranger is pretty bad. The character is pretty good, though.

For the purposes of The Witcher, though, see if the DM allows homebrew. If so, Matt Mercer wrote up a Blood Hunter class that functions as that, basically.

If they don't allow Homebrew, I'd go Eldritch Knight Fighter, and try to get proficiency in perception and survival.
>>
>>48778837
Couldn't they potentially do that even if you're a grounded character who just sits back? I don't think that really has anything to do with flying unless the DM makes Goblins so stupid that they all split up to pick 1v1 fights with any PC's in their line of sight.
>>
>>48777939
For me, it's been

>humans
>elves
>dragonborn
>goliath
>everything else
>>
>>48778803
The Hunter ranger archetype is probably what you want.
Whether or not its a good idea depends on the campaign, ultimately. Ask your DM if that concept would see much use.
>>
>>48778853
>>48778803
Ranger is fine. None of the classes are "bad." Some of them are lackluster and mediocre, but nothing is just so bad that it's not viable. Play whatever you want.
>>
File: 1463233553572.jpg (94KB, 621x341px) Image search: [Google]
1463233553572.jpg
94KB, 621x341px
>>48778575
>duergar

they show up in the early episodes of Critical Role, and play an important part in the plot for some time

and they pronounce it as "dor regar" instead of "dwegher"

>mfw
>>
File: oy vey.jpg (28KB, 600x695px) Image search: [Google]
oy vey.jpg
28KB, 600x695px
>>48778128
>the halfling sitting on the dwarf's shoulders in a trenchcoat
>>
>>48778889
Eh, you do have a point. It just disappoints me that Ranger is the least attractive of all the classes.

If I ever get a player that wants to play one, I'd tell them to go for the spell-less ranger from UA, and take both Hunter and Beastmaster archetypes.
>>
File: IMG_0030.jpg (145KB, 800x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
145KB, 800x630px
>>48778696
eh let them have their fun while they're in a field. occasionally send flying enemies at them, but they traded basically any other ability to be harder to hit (except for spells, arrows, flying enemies, bad weather, whatever) while outside. inside, in a dungeon, underground, thick forest, etc, they're pretty much a worse version of an elf.

(really high ceilinged) white room scenarios make them seem strong, but they could of picked a better race and just positioned themselves in the back of a room instead of flying around, and you wouldn't blink twice at it, you know?
also i personally think it would be interesting to, from time to time, throw in some flying enemies into the mix. like, "two of the bandits can also fly" (tiefling, aarakocra, pixies, griffon riders, whatever). then the party needs to make choices like "kill those guys fast to maintain air superiority" or not.
>>
File: latest-6.jpg (209KB, 582x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest-6.jpg
209KB, 582x800px
>>48778803
RANGER IS FINE UNTIL AROUND LEVEL 9.
play a ranger all you want. if your campaign goes past level 8 then consider starting to multi into something else (bard? cleric? monk? fighter? rogue? whatever). but until then you're totally fine.
its viable.
after 9 is what everyone actually has a problem with the ranger complains about. they just stop getting abilities that are well thought out or not something that another class gets way earlier, and often better.
>>
>>48778950
There's always going to be "the best archetype" for every class, and there's always going to be "that class" that is a little underpowered.

And you shouldn't tell them to do anything like that. Let them decide for themselves before you force your opinion on them. If they come to you of their own will and mention that they feel a little underwhelmed, then you can offer some suggestions to help.

Immediately just saying
>Oh, you want to be a Ranger? They're pretty bad, you know. Here, I'll let you pick both archetypes.
is just either going to make them not pick Ranger altogether or make the other players upset that they aren't getting the same rewards just because their DM is biased against Ranger, for some reason.
>>
>>48779059
>There's always going to be "the best archetype" for every class
not sure this is true, m8
i agree with the rest of your post tho.
>>
File: Genasi_subraces_5e.png (511KB, 800x547px) Image search: [Google]
Genasi_subraces_5e.png
511KB, 800x547px
I'm a little surprised there are so many goliaths and so few genasi.
>>
>>48779059
Uh... the spell-less ranger is amazing - but letting them choose both beastmaster and hunter makes them almost entirely better than a battlemaster; more like a specialized but better than battlemaster.

I use the spell-less ranger and the normal ranger, if you use the wilderness at all they are incredibly useful only combat grinder campaigns make them less useful.
>>
>>48778903
I always thought it was pronounced something like Dway-Gar.
>>
>>48779141
Because the mechanics don't add up to the fluff of elemental races. They never have, really.
>>
>>48779298

Neither does the elemental gameplay

Earthbending is awful in D&D
>>
>>48779059
>Shitty class design is just part of gaming.
Will this cancer die already?

>Put the burden on the player to make the class competent at it's concepts.
And the trap choice guardian I see.

Why do people so vehemently defend that poorly designed and implemented classes are a feature that should be accepted, rather than a failing that should not be tolerated from professionals?
>>
>>48779477
>letting people play the game as written and decide for themselves what is fun and good
>this is somehow wrong now
>you're more qualified to make decisions for the game writers AND the players
Stop this. As a DM, you control your campaign. As a player, they control their character. When you start telling them how they should build their character, especially when they are well within the written standards of the game, you're being a prick.
>>
Anyone use the DM Screen app for Android? It's a pretty handy way of generating tons of random elements for your game. I'm a new DM so it's kind of automating a lot of the finer details so I'm free to work on the big strokes.

I promise I'm not a shill for a free app.
>>
>>48779477
>Shitty class design is just part of gaming.
What is human error? Nothing can be perfectly balanced because humans are making it.

The best you can hope for is that everything is at least viable, which is what 5th Edition does. Once again, no class or archetype in 5th Edition is so bad that it feels not viable.
>>
File: magic jar.jpg (280KB, 1253x829px) Image search: [Google]
magic jar.jpg
280KB, 1253x829px
How much HP does the container for Magic Jar have?

pls respond
>>
>>48779792
Depends on the size and material/DM arbitration.
>>
>>48779792
I think it depends on what the container is made of. If it's glass, Crystal, or a gem stone, it'll break easily enough with the right tools and force. If it's metal, it will be much tougher to crack, especially since it's such an expensive item.
>>
>>48777939
1) Humans
2) Aarakocra (two of them, but both were short-lived and by a player who was trying to find a PC he liked so it was really more like one)
3) One of a variety of different races, including minotaur (my PC!!!), but not a single gnome, half-elf, or half-orc. Lots of humans, though, even non-variant ones!
>>
>>48778317

You can say no variant humans but the problem is you're probably not going to get any humans because regular human is absolute trash.
>>
>>48778457
We've had two Aarakocra, and there was only one situation where it broke combat a little.

A swarm of zombies in the entrance of a castle, crossbowmen on either balcony over it all. The aarakocra rogue flew over all the zombies and took half the crossbowmen completely out of combat as he forced them to drop their crossbows before knocking them off the edge.

It didn't make the encounter trivial, but it did make it much less dangerous. Still, a monk or Thief could do so just as well, spellcasters could have blocked out their view using Fog Cloud, it really didn't do anything that other PCs couldn't replicate.

It did come in handy when our sea-ship's captain was thrown overboard. Rather than taking him completely out of combat, he ended up being back before his next turn started.
>>
>>48777939
My party:
Human
Elf
Half-elf
Half-elf
Halfling
Half-orc
>>
>>48779830
>tfw I'm the DM and trying to balance an encounter

>>48779886
Alright, time to make some kind of metallic nesting doll so the players have a mid boss fight puzzle while fighting off one of their own party members.
>>
>>48780020
I am okay with this. After DMing a campaign with 4 humans and a dragonborn (who joined because a guy playing another human dropped out), I'd welcome a no-human party with open arms.
>>
>>48778796
Say you have Bob and George

Bob flies

George is now the only one who can be engaged in melee

everyone attacks George

Now, George will probably make a tactical retreat while flyingguy bombards everyone

Okay, let's now add Ren, Run and Tub
Ren, Run and Tub are all fighters.

They love to charge in and whack things.

What do they do?
Run in and whack things.

You're going to have to convince your entire party to flee while you singlehandedly, slowly pick off the enemies.

This is especially bad if the enemies have hostages.

The level 3 'fly' spell exists and could solve the same problems in the same way against melee-only targets. Sure, you have to be level 5, and you can't use it all the time, but it's ultrabrilliant at the same times having always-flying is.

Also flying people can be good for scouting, but can't take the entire party.
>>
>>48777939

For me, it's been:

Humans - 7
Elves - 4
Dwarves - 2
Half Elves - 2
Halflings - 1
Half-orc - 1
Dragon Born - 1
Changeling - 1
Gnome - 1

That accounts for every 5e game I've DMed since it came out.
>>
I've always wanted to be a halfling paladin

Is that actually a viable race/class thing for 5e
>>
>>48780226
What level is the party? Depending on their level I may have a suggestion on how to make this "nesting doll".
>>
>>48780608
yeah why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>48780608
Lightfoot halflings get +2 Dex and +1 Cha, and have a couple of handy features (lucky and brave) that might help out a paladin.
If you used finesse weapons and bows (to make use of that racial dex bonus), yes this is absolutely a viable race/class combo.
>>
Is it possible to make an effective melee Dragon Sorcerer?

I want to make a somewhat Skyrim-like Dragonborn ripoff (Not the actual Dragonborn) but from what I can tell trying to make a melee sorcerer is a pretty stupid idea.
>>
>>48780608

any class with a charisma bonus makes for a viable paladin, you might just have to choose if you want a dex pala or a regular one

However, depending on the variable of the halfling, they're actually good for both
>>
>>48780638
They just turned 6. I'm always looking for suggestions!

(Monk, warlock, rogue, bard.)
>>
File: 1465749497960.jpg (101KB, 736x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1465749497960.jpg
101KB, 736x1070px
>>48780935
+1 HP a level makes your HP a d8 basically, which isn't great but its not bad, plus you get to start with unlimited mage armor.
twinning or quickening gfb (or the like, you could do booming blade or shocking grasp or what have you) is a pretty normal melee gish tactic people discuss online. the downside is that the best weapon they can use is quarterstaff, so you want to either start with a race that gives you weapon proficiency OR a lot of people advocate for dipping paladin 2 so you can smite on top of 2x gfb, and you get weapons (and armor if you start paladin).
idk what skyrim dragonborn do, as i never played skyrim, but if you want to post more info i'll brainstorm a bit.
>>
>>48781043
Half-elf dragon sorc with weapon proficiency instead of skills from his race.
>>
>>48780935

Why not just go fighter and go into Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>48780226
Look up "objects" in the DMG, hope your casters don't have Shatter
>>
>>48781076
I think Eknight isn't flashy enough for most people

and to be fair, they are a bit lackluster. Horrid spell progression, shitty level 3 feature.

they don't get anything that reaally makes them "feel" like a gish until level 7. And most games probably don't make it to level 7 and if they do, that's months of game time
>>
File: 1465710104686.jpg (366KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1465710104686.jpg
366KB, 1200x675px
>>48781128
>shitty level 3 feature.
>spellcasting
>shitty level 3 feature
Okay
>>
So one of my players drank a lichs phylactery ( blood in a vial ) while the lich was still about ( lichs a pretty ok guy ), is there any rule about this i don't really know what's happening now as a dm.. do you guys have a clue?
>>
File: laughing numenorean.jpg (660KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
laughing numenorean.jpg
660KB, 768x1024px
>>48781108
Thanks!

>mfw they don't
>>
>>48779141
The +2 Con isn't a major selling point for them stat wise, and I have trouble imagining them just walking into a bar and ordering a drink without some heavy roleplay. The roleplay will get repetitive as commoners have no clue what you are, some will not trust you and some may even just attack you on sight.

They are a little on the low side for the game part of dungeons and dragons and can cause extremely boring and repetitive roleplay scenes that have to matter.
>>
>>48781145
I meant weapon bond

and let's be completely real; Eknight spellcasting is trash. You almost have to multi-class into wiz if you want to do shit with spells
>>
>>48781043
Dragonborn themselves are basically OP as fuck demigods, as are most player characters in Elder Scrolls games once they level up a bunch, but the Greybeards themselves are a pretty good concept and more of what I was going for; a monk of sorts seeking to become more dragon-like because they think Dragons are the coolest shit ever/they want to become more stronk/they're scalefags and want that dragon poon

Honestly Monk refluffed would probably be the best way to play it, with Ki techniques replaced with Voice power.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Greybeards

If I had to pick two additional Monk schools to add they'd be a Wild Monk that's a "survival of the fittest" melee Druid and a Dragon Monk where they're trying to emulate their Dragon master, for evil or good depending on the color of the monastery's leader.
>>
>>48781167
We are playing Curse of Strahd and my sorc player used Shatter in the basement of a church... It took out two wooden beams supporting the floor above them.

I got to describe the floor sagging a few inches above them before it settled. We'll see if it collapses next session.
>>
>>48781322
make one of them roll for the floor
>>
>>48781216
Eldritch Knights are melee first, casters second. Their supplemental spells like Shield or Absorb Elements help them survive melee combat. Then, since they can pick any spell every so often, they can pick up amazing non-DC spells. It's not great but it's not trash, either.
>>
>>48781231
you should peep the playtest sorc, and then i guess weep because it doesn't exist in 5e as it is. i'm "working on" adapting it to 5e for a campaign i want to run, but "working on" means i worked on it for an hour and then gave up. but its still kind of cool, you turn more and more draconic as you use up your spell points, and you have a few unique abilities you can use like "dragon strength" which is basically smite.
>>48781071
yeah that works. if you want +1 damage go half-drow so you can use a rapier, but whatever.
>>48781216
i was just fucking with you. EK is... interesting. i want to make one if my current char ever dies just to try it out...
>>
>>48781216
>>48781355
Honestly the biggest issue with EK is the school restrictions, it's bad enough that they get barely any spell slots and spells known in addition to not knowing how to do Ritual Casting without a feat without even being able to take things they might want.
>>
>>48781396
I agree, Evocation is basically worthless since in all likelihood your DCs are shit and essentially useless since you get the good ones like Fireball too late. Abjuration is great, though, imo.
>>
>>48781396

I don't disagree with you, but assuming you're the same guy, are you looking to make a character fit a theme or make a character do as much damage as possible? Because it sounds like EK is more fitting to your theme, even though it may not be as good. EK is still solid if we're just talking damage/utility.
>>
>>48781339
I'm going by how many cross the section of floor. The map has a note for my view and someone will probably drop through he hole.
>>
>>48780638
>>48781006
Please respond.
>>
Looking for some advice for CoS if anyone wants to help me brainstorm some outcomes to the parties current situation.

The group made it to vallaki and dropped off ireena with the priest. He asked them to find the bones, and they tracked them to the coffin maker. Long story short, they got the bones but the coffin maker was killed by the vampire spawn and the party barely made it out of the house alive before deciding the best way to kill the vamps inside was to burn the whole building down.

So what would be the logical reaction from the burgomaster and his right hand man (i forgot his name). Would showing the bones as proof and having the priest vouch for them be enough? Should there be much harsher penalties? Maybe have the burgomaster send them after the cult in town in order to "prove their innocance"?

Thoughts?
>>
>>48781166
Probably necrotic damage, first, then plagued with the thoughts and fears of the soul the lich has been storing in the phylactery to fuel it. Who did the lich use imprisonment on to seal their soul in the phylactery? Maybe it's insight on someone who was about to defeat the lich, where the lich has been. If you have the opportunity I would say the character cannot heal exhaustion with only 8 hours, but more like 12, as he can hardly sleep due to the nightmares being brought on by the souls in the phylactery.
>>
>>48780020

Nah, it just solves a problem most builds don't have.
>>
War Priest should recharge on a short rest, not a long rest And/or instead of War God's blessing they should get extra attack
>>
>>48778803
beside trying to not get into the discussion that the fact that a fighter is basically the most trained in melee martial arts in the class system what >>48778853 said is 10/10
>>
File: mad-un.jpg (131KB, 589x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mad-un.jpg
131KB, 589x1024px
>>48782320
k
i like it
>>
>>48781915

have the burgomaster send them off to acquire wine for the festival in 3 days time.
>>
Planning to run a text only run of either Death House or Phanedelver with a bunch of news.
Which do you suggest, and what's the largest party size you could recommend for either?
>>
>>48782954
Death House 4-6
Phandelver 3-5

Only run Death House if you're going to go into CoS hot. Some Death House encounters are designed to run away from, which newbies might not consider an option.
>>
>>48782320
if war cleric got extra attack, they'd just be a straight up paladin with full casting
>>
>>48780935
Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade will be your friends if you want to go straight sorcerer.
>>
hey /5eg/
I'm creating a level 4 barbarian to join a group I was invited to, but I kinda want to take some fighter levels too.
So I have a lvl 4 character and want to multiclass barbarian/fighter, help me.
>>
>>48783537
2 Fighter for Action Surge/2 Barbarian, going 3 Barbarian to get Bear Totem.
>>
File: 20140503002314a0drxppb1z9ek3hs.jpg (111KB, 640x516px) Image search: [Google]
20140503002314a0drxppb1z9ek3hs.jpg
111KB, 640x516px
>>48783537
ok slow down
why?
>>
>>48783556
I was thinking about going berserker.
But after this which class do I level?
>>
>>48783592
Fighter seems pretty fun and action surge sounds kinda cool.
But I have no idea what I'm doing so any help would be welcome
>>
>>48783597
Just a heads up, Berserker is pretty mediocre. The extra attacks from frenzied rage isn't worth the exhaustion afterwards. Reckless Attack + Bear Totem is pretty amazing, especially if you're human and started with Great Weapon Master.

As for which class to level, that's up to you. Does your character fight tactically or just brutally?
>>
> DM has no system mastery
> Giving out Customize weapon with +7 to hit
> Complain that we're overpower

It's like he's stuck in 3.5...
>>
>>48783642
i would strongly recommend hitting barbarian 5 first, then going into fighter for however many levels. that way you can be a barbarian, get extra attack and stay on power curve, and then expand out of that.
>>
>>48783597
Moon Druid.
>>
Magical secrets at level 6 thanks to lore. I'm the only caster in the party so I'm thinking Fireball and Counterspell.

Good?
>>
>>48783661
berserker can do the best sustained damage of anyone, but the drawbacks are intense. that doesnt make it mediocre.
>>
>>48783661
brutally, I want to fuck up those niggers
>>
>>48783692
Those are literally the two spells my lore bard took. Counterspell is a given, considering Jack of All Trades works with it, and Fireball is great AoE at the time you can learn it if your party lacks that. It quickly fades in usefulness, though.
>>
>>48783734
What do you mean "quickly fades in usefulness"? Fireball remains the most efficient single-fire AoE spell damage-wise for quite a while. It beats out a *lot* of higher-level AoE spells for damage if it's upcast to the same level.
>>
>>48783692
Decent. I'd rather pick up Aura of Vitality than Fireball, but I go for more support builds than blasters.
>>
>>48783702
Berserker is better against bosses, Totem Warrior is better against everything else. I'd say that's mediocre. Also, Speak with Animals has come up a lot in my group.
>>
>>48783665
>+7 to-hit
That's... that'd double the to-hit bonus most mid-level characters have. What the hell.
>>
File: 1446478643778.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1446478643778.png
226KB, 468x345px
>>48783665
>the guide to legendary weapons in the DMG suggests a max of +4
>+7
>>
>>48783769
Would you rather Fireball a group of enemies that won't be killed by it or cast Hypnotic Pattern and remove most of them from combat entirely?
>>
>>48783692
some other (not necessarily better) options are: aura of vitality, conjure animals, animate dead, spirit guardians, plant growth if you're an outside the box kind of guy.
>>
>>48783796
i'm just saying. the other abilities they get are good too. well not the fear one necessarily because likely you're charisma will be low, but the other two are really good.
i think it has drawbacks but its not mediocre, its really strong.
>>
>>48783829
It depends on what you're facing, the layout of the combat, etc. "Dead" is the best debuff, so if your fireball can kill or bring them very close, it's worth it.

Fireball also isn't completely wasted if things save against it. Most status effect spells are.
>>
>>48777939
>Aren't we getting a catfolk and aasimar I heard rumors.
>Also that degenerate Catboy player from the pathfinder thread please don't respond
>>
>>48783859
The immunity to charm conditions is a pretty hefty bonus, for one. Covers up one of the major weaknesses of barbarians...
>>
>>48783985
Yes, aasimar and catfolk are getting official race stats in Volo's Guide.
>>
>>48783985
>>48784065
burp
>>
>>48783734

Bards not learning counterspell is just stupid
>>
>>48784460
The mechanics of counterspell alone scream "fucking bard"
>>
Just got my find mount spell for my tiefling pally what should I co-operate with my dm on getting? Also can't find any good art of a Tiefling paladin or warrior with a glaive.
>>
>>48784460
>>48784593
And high-level campaigns get Bards who are the absolute best counterspellers. By using Glibness, the Charisma check of Counterspell and Dispel Magic has a minimum roll of 15. That means the the Bard will always succeed (unless he happened to dump Charisma, which... is bad).
>>
Goddamnit thread stop making me want to play my half-elf bard again. Being a mostly forever DM is suffering.
>>
DM here, anyone got any ideas for how to buff the regular human up to acceptable levels without allowing the variant human free feat bullshit.
>>
>>48785136
Two free skills.

Alternatively just limit the feats to the mostly-non-combat ones.
- Alert
- Athlete
- Actor
- Dungeon Delver
- Durable
- Healer
- Inspiring Leader
- Keen Mind
- Linguist
- Lucky
- Magic Initiate
- Observant
- Resilient
- Ritual Caster
- Skilled
- Tough
>>
>>48777939

My group is 3 humans, a wood elf, and a high elf (me). The urge to give in to that extra feat is pretty strong and not everyone can resist.

>>48778169

Next campaign I'm probably going to do a halfling bard, because I fucking love hobbits.
>>
File: 76F.jpg (69KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
76F.jpg
69KB, 640x640px
>>48785136
i was thinking of getting rid of halflings in an upcoming game and giving humans the lucky trait they get (rerolling 1s).
>>
>>48785388
I simply got rid of all the playable races but the variant human. Always-on Darkvision is stupid, as are racial skills.
>>
>>48781915
Have the Burgomaster be convinced one PC is behind all of it, and tell them to turn over the true criminal or all be hung at dawn in the eyes of the Morninglord.

Let one get away with the bones to save the church, and make sure one dies. Have someone tell them about the Abbot to drag the body to.
>>
>>48785388
I was thinking of giving them the lucky feat but with only 1 use per day and stats of +2 to one stat and +1 to all others but maybe giving them halfling luck is a better idea
>>
how viable would a halfling diviner with lucky be?
>>
>>48777939
-Human
-Half-elf
-Dwarves (mostly me)
-Elves
-Goliath/Half-back
-Gnome
-Halfling/tiefling/dragonborn (once each)
>>
>>48777939

Humans
Elves
Dwarves
Half-Breeds
Halflings

But then again I'm the forever DM and I don't allow Dragonborn, Tieflings or Gnomes in my 1e era FR campaign.
>>
>>48785667
Pretty much any wizard is viable, regardless of race.

But a halfling diviner with lucky is the best kind of cheese. Go for it
>>
>>48778222
Ewwwww but at the same time v humans are one of the worst design choices this edition imo
>>
>second session of Curse of Strahd, this is my first 5e campaign
>zombies show up in the church right after we get our hands on Strahd's autobiography
>debate whether to go with my normal conservative play style or just blow the rest of my spell load because we're about to rest anyway
>decide to dump what I have on the 8 zombies and start by webbing them in a choke point
>scorching ray the three in the back while the monk and paladin hold the line and keep them in the now flaming pile of webbing
>severed limbs flailing about in the burning webs
>takes about 30 hp of damage to drop each one

Goddamn those things are nasty at low levels.

>after the clean up, we encounter the meat pie vendor
>my elf states that he wishes to try some "human food"
>hilarity ensues
>>
>>48778903
I've always pronounced it dew-gar
>>
File: x15ulC0.png (304KB, 1100x787px) Image search: [Google]
x15ulC0.png
304KB, 1100x787px
Anyone use OneNote for collecting information & DMing? I found one built from SRD on google that's pretty fuckin neato and I'm working on adding the rest of the PHB and MM info to it. Instant search of all that info is super useful.

Pic related, I'll probably share it when done.
>>
>>48785868

I always pronounced it durr-gar, but I know that's most likely wrong.
>>
>>48785961
same.
>>
>>48785935
I use it for all my campaign prep.

When it comes to monsters though, I usually just screencap the MM PDF and throw the appropriate ones on a blank page.
>>
Have homebrew rules for hirelings, morale, etc., running a domain, and all that stuff that was in old school D&D and got removed later on, been created for 5e?
>>
>>48786099
Morale is already in the DMG.
>>
>>48785961
I think it's actually pronounced dew-er-gar
>>
File: lelf 5e.png (1MB, 1096x731px) Image search: [Google]
lelf 5e.png
1MB, 1096x731px
Reminder that Volo's Guide is going to be AL legal and that your game store is going to see a flood of goblin and catfolk characters come November.
>>
>>48785961
>>48786192
If it's officially "pronounced dew-er-gar," then some accents will pronounce it "durr-gar" anyway.
>>
Hey there /tg/, I've been having a bit of a conundrum in character creation lately and I was hoping you could help.

My idea is to mix levels of rogue with a few levels of warlock, probably at around 5:1 ratio or so, but I'm not really sure where to draw the line and what class features would synergize well between them so I was wondering if y'all might have any input on it.

The main idea for the warlock levels was to take some of the more rogue-useful warlock invocations, like the one that lets you use an action to turn invisible in dim light as long as you don't move.

Probably blade pact assuming enough warlock levels to get a pact in the first place, but depending on the sort of rogue any of the three pacts could work, though they would probably end up ranking Pact of the Blade > Pact of the Tome > Pact of the Chain in my mind?

Would spellthief rogue be good? Or would it make more sense to go assassin and use warlock just to get low level utility spells for mobility and stealth and stuff?

I know I know, not an optimal mix of classes probably, but with this mix in mind, what would be the best way to do it do you think?
>>
>>48786252

Huh, I usually pronounce it 'Dew-ruh-gar'...
>>
>>48786259
Devil's Sight + Darkness is a rogue's best friend, and you could pick up Agonizing Blast to use with Eldritch Blast. I'd go the stereotypical 2 Warlock splash and be done with it.
>>
>>48785782
i actually really like playing a vanilla human, but maybe its because i don't know better and i'm a skill monkey (thief) so having at least +1 on every stat is kind of nice.
>>
Would it be faggy to pick undead ranger in a curse of strahd game? I can't think of a reason for a bird guy to be an undead hunter without it sounding weird.
>>
>>48786592
what
>>
>>48786699
It would just seem weird for a bird guy to specialize in fighting undead, like they mostly stay near their tribe and I can't think of a reason for undead being a major threat to them.
>>
>>48786729
>bird liv short tim
>evil bird no wan die
>zombie brds now
there ya go, i worked it in a backstory
>>
>>48786766
You are a genius thank you my dude
>>
>>48785961
I ignore the fact it's spelled with a u and go full dvergar.
>>
File: Hellspawn-02.jpg (52KB, 492x926px) Image search: [Google]
Hellspawn-02.jpg
52KB, 492x926px
So I'm building a fiendish chainlock tiefling and I was hoping for some build advice. I figure that most of my damage will come from EB/Hex/Agonize and a few AoE fire spells, and an imp familiar will provide a solid amount of out-of-combat utility. What would you recommend focusing the rest of my spells and invocations on? It seems like warlocks can make pretty solid diplomancers or illusionist.
>>
File: cervantes_sc4_by_yamao.jpg (123KB, 1024x652px) Image search: [Google]
cervantes_sc4_by_yamao.jpg
123KB, 1024x652px
>>48787083
You know, til this point I had said "d-where-garr", but "d-vhere-garr" does sound a lot better.
I mean, surely a bad Russian accent does them justice. They live in a totalitarian hole in the ground just spending all their time mass producing things for living and killing, probably drinking clear flavorless alcohol made from mushroomtatoes.
...Cervantes is the closes thing I have to duergar art.
>>
File: 2e Realms Best Realms.gif (2MB, 4410x2788px) Image search: [Google]
2e Realms Best Realms.gif
2MB, 4410x2788px
So I was looking at old sourcebooks for new inspiration and I started paging through old FR sourcebooks and the like for some ideas since 2e and 1e seems to be a big inspiration on much of 5e and because my game takes place in the Realms.

Holy fucking shit.
Why did nobody ever TELL me that 2e Realms stuff was this good?
Like these are genuinely some of the best setting sourcebooks I've ever read, just page after page after page of fluff you can use that's basically edition-agnostic stuff full of things like the languages they use, the culture, history, the fucking clothes and food and drink they eat even and even places like "best places to get a drink in this specific city".

What the shit happened to 3e and 4e?
3e was expansive at least but also super bland in a lot of places, and 4e was this homogenized mess that wanted to be their Nentir Vale/Points of Light thing and threw in more "popular fantasy stuff" without the depth I'm getting here.
I'm not even halfway through all of these pdf's I have and I've got enough material for maybe three or four months of solid, detail-heavy play.
>>
>>48787325
Sounds awesome, can you name some of the books/PDFs you're reading so I can find them too?
>>
>>48786235
>So are Goliath and Sympths
>>
>>48787363
Try these

OD&D-2e: http://mega.nz/#F!AwhlTLKD!J45Rhcm1Hbrm1YdbBwEuVA

3e and 4e: http://mega.nz/#F!VkgGlSzK!11kU_hPmZpCqYBx8uRaHhA
>>
>>48787159
It's "dweg-ger". It's Scandinavian.

That Van Helsing movie? Those things she called "dwegger"? Those were duergar.
>>
>>48787325
Yeah, that's the same shit /tg/ complains about PF doing in Golarion, you know.
>>
>>48787363
>Every single "Volo's Guide to [Insert Region]"
These are cool, it's a famous traveler's personal guide to the different locations. They're pretty funny because Eliminster writes in the margins about dumb shit Volo says or does and corrects some of his sillier assumptions.
>Anarouch
>Elminster's Ecologies
This one is amazing, it's like close to 300 pages of nothing but the ecology, wilderness, animals, weather, unique species, etc.
>Dwaves Deep
A whole sourcebook on dwarves, which I assumed would be boring but was awesome
>Old Empires
>Lands of Intrigue
>Kara-Tur
I thought this would be such shit.
As overly "Asian" as it is, it's actually great.
>The Great Glacier
>The Horde box sex
>City of Splendors box sex
>Giantcraft
I guess shit from this is basically 100% canon because everything written about giants in 5e comes from it, and they're using a bunch of it in the next big adventure book I hear
>The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier
>The Savage Frontier
>The Shining South
>The Vilhon Reach
>Evermeet: Isle of the Elves
>The Moonshaes
>The Moonsea
>Maztica Campaign Set
>Pirates of Fallen Stars
>Gold and Glory
This is cool, it's about mercenaries and military stuff in the FR. It even implies that militaries are slowly adopting 14th/15th century-style firearms and "within the next two decades" they'll become fairly common by necessity.

Actually, I think I could just say "everything" and and seems to be accurate so far as long as you avoid rules-heavy stuff like books about magic and equipment and the like.
>>
>>48787500
That doesn't make any sense though.
Golarion was made by the guys who are STILL writing for shit in PF, it's not getting "watered down by it's successors" even remotely because it doesn't HAVE any successors writing for it yet.
>>
>>48777939
For me
Dragonborn
Human
Everything else
>>
>>48780020
I've never found them to be trash exactly, the no night vision is a bit sucky but eh, nothing a few torches/fire arrows/magical lights won't fix..
>>
>>48781166
Blood gents digested, philactry is destroyed, your player gents the pitches sexually transmittanle deseas because those also transfer via blood. Lol
>>
anyone got a 5e monk chacacter sheet i can nab and pass off as my own. really lazy and dont wanna bother actually rolling a toon
>>
File: baitsu.jpg (209KB, 756x1100px) Image search: [Google]
baitsu.jpg
209KB, 756x1100px
>>48787733
>>
I'm going to run my first campaign soon and I want to know how I should decide on a setting.

I have a few ideas for locations, but I think it'll be a pain to fully flesh out the other details of the world.
Can I just use a setting like Realms and drop my cities etc. in somewhere? Not sure how to balance building everything vs. learning everything about a premade setting.
>>
>>48787743
not bait, just lazy

old dm used to give me pregens new dm wont
>>
>>48787745
>Can I just use a setting like Realms and drop my cities etc. in somewhere?
Sure.
The Realms has major cities, but large "gaps" between them in earlier editions for GM's to use and one entire nation in one of the central regions (Sembia) was deliberately left unexplained and unexplored specifically so that the GM could add his own details.

Well, unexplored until 3e, which as >>48787325 found out basically watered down everything a shitload and even more then before tried to just use the setting as a way to push novels rather then be anything good by itself.
>>
>>48787769
Just follow the quick build dude, it's what it's there for.
>>
>>48787878
yeah but then i have to do things
>>
File: Occultist.png (2MB, 1234x1051px) Image search: [Google]
Occultist.png
2MB, 1234x1051px
>>48787157
Bumping
>>
Why is she so perfect?
>>
Would you let a Goliath Monk take a Glaive as their Monk weapon on grounds of "they're fucking hueg so they can weild it like a human would a Spear (spears being a Simple Weapon) or would that be unbalanced?

Personally I'd argue that a Monk should be able to pick any single melee weapon as their order's weapon of choice, it'd be a decent way to buff them a bit since Monks seem so lackluster to me.
>>
>>48788094
>don/doff options for armour
IIRC these are all the same, but you've given me the idea of a magical armour that can be ripped off in seconds alongside a command word. Going to give it to our bard for obvious reasons.
>>
>>48788094
The clip art.
>>
File: what a load of bollocks.jpg (493KB, 552x1434px) Image search: [Google]
what a load of bollocks.jpg
493KB, 552x1434px
>>48787501
The Waterdeep box is probably my favourite FR supplement ever, followed by the Horde box, The Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea (which describe Calimshan in incredible detail) and Dreams of the Red Wizards (Thay). Steven Schend was a fantastic writer.

Re: Kara-tur, I love how they crammed in different places for different periods of history to play in. Tang or Ming China? Shou Lung. One of those rebellious "breakaway" Chinas like the Hsi Hsia? T'u Lung. Edo Japan? Wa. The period in Japan where the power was not centralised? Kozakura. And then the various other SEA and East Asian cultures on top of them.

>>48787830
>(Sembia) was deliberately left unexplained and unexplored

I think they broke every single one of these promises. Even then the FR Grey Box was a fantastic setting, a lot of space for the PCs to adventure in, enough detail to make the Realms livable, and even the NPCs are yet to suffer from power creep. Shadowdale's boss is a 6th level cavalier, Fzoul fucking Chembryl is a 13th level cleric, and there are a lot of low-level NPCs for adventure hooks (read: for PCs to beat up).

Also the best-looking half-elf ever and elves that look like Elric of Melnibone instead of those affronts to gods and men they've become.
>>
What are the best melee classes in 5e
>>
Heya /tg/, homebrewing faggot over here. Could you guys critisize my attempt at playable Gnolls? I need to know what's awful and what isn't.
http://pastebin.com/ckgc1gM0
Not sure if there's something too powerful or if it's just a large chunk of text.
>>
>>48788220
Paladin and Barbarian, handidly. Paladin Smite, and Barbarian FlyingAngerMan.

That said, they're all good and fun.
>>
>>48788220
Fighter Barbarian Monk Druid Rogue Paladin and Ranger.
>>
>>48788220
The classes that hit things with weapons.
>>
>>48788220
Depends on the level, how your DM does skills, optional rules being used, party comp, magic items and what buffs you'll get.

Barbarians are good early on if you're new and don't have a lot of teamwork or magic. A good magic user will fuck your shit up though.
>>
>>48788248
>>48788249

Is it possible to combine the druid and the Paladin into a decent combination
>>
>>48788336
Not... exactly? Both from a fluff perspective and mechanical perspective the combination seems dubious. Why do you want to combine them?
>>
File: humie 1465893500795.jpg (110KB, 908x879px) Image search: [Google]
humie 1465893500795.jpg
110KB, 908x879px
Can you take the same kind of action twice in the same round? Can I make a Dash and use Ki point to add another Dash upon it?
>>
>>48788358
Oath of the ancients multiclass with druid makes sense. Doesn't work out too well mechanically, though more smite slots is never a bad thing.
>>
>>48788248
Barbarians(we're really just talking Totem here) become hot garbage at mid level, while other class get bigger benefits.
Paladins are walking auras once they blow their load of spells for the day, so they end up just saving smite for crits and always bitching for a long rest like a wizard.

Barbarians and Paladins are meatshields that can sometimes do damage. Multi-classing is required for them to become reliable damage dealers for a party.
>>
>>48788365
Yes
>>
>>48788504
Coo', fanks! I was curious if I could go fast.
>>
>>48788463

What would you multiclass a paladin with
>>
So Im trying to make pic related at the 10th level but Im not to sure on the build. Rogue and monk are obvious choices but are there better options?
Help a brother out?
>>
>>48788559
Bard.
>>
>>48788572

gurps
>>
>>48788572
maybe ranger for survival and tracking skills?
>>
>>48788336
that depends, is your answer to the following question yes?
>are bears who can smite people with their claws awesome?
if so, yes. if not, you probably need antidepressants or something.
>>
>>48788559
If you want to be a primary damage dealer as a Vengeance Paladin, try dipping Warlock for some pact magic slots since they come back on a short rest. Really important for small groups that depend on your damage.
>>
>>48788603

Sounds interesting but I have no idea how a warlock works
>>
>>48788215
>The Waterdeep box is probably my favourite FR supplement ever, followed by the Horde box, The Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea (which describe Calimshan in incredible detail) and Dreams of the Red Wizards (Thay). Steven Schend was a fantastic writer.
Horde is fucking awesome so far as I'm reading it. I'll have to get the Thay book, not on my list.

>Kara-tur, I love how they crammed in different places for different periods of history to play in. Tang or Ming China? Shou Lung. One of those rebellious "breakaway" Chinas like the Hsi Hsia? T'u Lung. Edo Japan? Wa. The period in Japan where the power was not centralised? Kozakura. And then the various other SEA and East Asian cultures on top of them.
My one complaint is that it seems like EVERY "fantasy Asia supplement" to every fantasy setting every seems to do what the Kara-Tur campaign setting did, which is kinda irritating.
But by checking the dates on such things, I can actually forgive Kara-Tur for doing it because quite clearly it did it FIRST and did it really well on top of all of that.

>Also the best-looking half-elf ever and elves that look like Elric of Melnibone instead of those affronts to gods and men they've become.
I don't actually have the old FR core book and most of the art looks fairly simplistic in everything I've seen without any particularly hard consistency on the way things look.

Except drow women, who seem to always be stuck with really frizzy "80's hair" in every picture.
>>
>>48788572
He's obviously an assassin rogue with a ranger hunter dip for mad crits on surprise rounds.
>>
>>48788589
Ah yes, the tried and true 'gurps' answer.
But you see, the problem here is that I am on a D&D5e thread asking a question about 5e for a game that will be played in 5e, so gurps is not a solution
>>
>>48788559
nothing, but if i had to i've played a war cleric paladin and it was really fun. that said right now for whatever reason every class combo i think of with paladin sounds pretty fun, so idk. barbarian paladin?
>>
>>48788618
As Paladin all you really care about is pact magic slots and the expanded spell list. Vengeance Paladin Tiefling with a few levels of Infernal Warlock is a favorite, it's both mechanically amazing and character story wise pretty metal.
>>
>>48788653
He's really just a Human Fighter with the Stealth skill in later games, being very combat competent but having sneaking skills atop it. Maybe Battlemaster to represent his multiple array of combat tactics, but maybe just Champion to showcase is straightforward combat skill too.

Soldier backround for Snake obviously, or Mercenary Veteran for Big Boss.
>>
>>48788693
Oh, and don't forget to pick the Skulker feat so he can do bullshit like hide himself behind shrubbery and knee-high grass with next to no chance of being spotted.
I guess you could also give him Crossbow Mastery to have him use only ranged weapon attacks like the Snakes do with their guns.
>>
>>48788687

So how many levels would you take in each class
>>
>>48781390
Playtest sorceror was such a cool concept. It's right at the top of my list of things to rip off one day.
>>
File: FR grey box elf and half-elf.jpg (2MB, 1472x2500px) Image search: [Google]
FR grey box elf and half-elf.jpg
2MB, 1472x2500px
>>48788626
>Horde is fucking awesome

I've loved the Silk Road stuff ever since I saw that TV series as a wee one, and the Horde was incredible for adventures like that. Plus the fact that it was still in the period where it came with those giant poster-sized maps, a lot of cheat cards like "generate your own Silk Road caravan", what Khazari houses and Tuigan clothes look like and tribal language charts.

I heartily recommend Dreams of the Red Wizards if you want to run adventures in Thay before it turned to shit.

>I don't actually have the old FR core book

I didn't find a proper pic of either so I scanned the elf and half-elf. The art in the grey box (Parkinson, Easley, Tim Conrad) is fantastic.
>>
>>48788336
arguably no, unless your dm allows natural weapons, to count as smite valid weapons, in which case very yes.
>>
>>48788752
Start with Paladin, get extra attack asap, you really don't want to delay it. After that you can go into warlock, 2-4 levels then back to Paladin.

Fiendish is really solid, Undying isn't bad either.
Pact of the Blade is very useful at high level when magic weapons are common and you can convert them into whatever weapons you want, that means turning the Staff of Thunder and Lightning into a dagger.
Devil Sight is favorite in combination with Darkness, Eldritch Sight is also nice to have in a group.
>>
5eg, I'm drunk and had a pretty mediocre night

tell me your favorite dnd story
>>
>>48788824
While I certainly like the half-elf lady that elf looks awfully weird.
Kinda wondering how anybody could find something like that attractive enough to screw with and even make a half-elf, looks more like an actual space alien then an elf to me.

I always figured you could mark elves not by how human they didn't look but how consistent their facial features and builds were aside from the ears; they're supposed to have high cheekbones ALL the time, but in real life I know maybe two people with genuinely high and prominent cheekbones.

Human beings are crazy diverse even within the same ethnicity, and if you ran into a group of elves with all the same three or four hair colors, skin shades, bone structure, and same relative height, weight, and build you'd definitely pick up on it even if you weren't paying attention, and that's WITHOUT the ears.
>>
>>48788179
>blithering blatherskits
>>
>>48789223
Goddamn, now THAT is a reference I haven't heard in awhile.
>>
>>48789126
>how anybody could find something like that attractive enough to screw with and even make a half-elf

I'm guessing the Elric-style elf is one of those warrior types who have really seen some shit and it's left its mark on him. There are a couple of prettier elves on the cover of the Cyclopedia.
>>
>>48789241
Elric is also a sickly albino who has trouble physically exerting himself without his dickass sword, so he probably isn't the picture of physical health either when you think about it.

Seriously though, fuck Stormbringer.
Such an asshole.
>>
>>48789240
Its a duck blur
>>
>>48788572
Final build: vHuman Thief Rogue 8/Battlemaster Fighter 12

At 10th level the split should be 3/7, with your first level being in Fighter. Take the feats Skulker and Crossbow Expert and use your other two ASIs to bump up Dex to 20 (or, if you don't mind trading effectiveness for flavour, get Athlete and Tavern Brawler). Use your disarm and trip attacks and remember the basics of CQC.
>>
So I'm building a fiendish chainlock tiefling and I was hoping for some build advice. I figure that most of my damage will come from EB/Hex/Agonize and a few AoE fire spells, and an imp familiar will provide a solid amount of out-of-combat utility. What would you recommend focusing the rest of my spells and invocations on? It seems like warlocks can make pretty solid enchanters or illusionist.
>>
File: 1436509441323.jpg (201KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
1436509441323.jpg
201KB, 470x595px
So I'm building a fiendish chainlock tiefling and I was hoping for some build advice. I figure that most of my damage will come from EB/Hex/Agonize and a few AoE fire spells, and an imp familiar will provide a solid amount of out-of-combat utility. What would you recommend focusing the rest of my spells and invocations on? It seems like warlocks can make pretty solid enchanters or illusionist.
>>
>>48778803
Go with a monk with the outlander background and take a few druid levels later on if you want magic.

Ask your DM if he allows elemental evil/scag spells and/or the UA feats to expand on what you can do.
>>
Can a druid transform into a spider and crawl under the door? I'm tired of my GM "Metal Door with no keyhole" BS.
>>
>>48789490
>the door fits perfectly to every wall, there are no crevices
>>
>>48789490
is it a beast within your cr requirements?
even if (presumably) the cr block for spider, means bigass spider, not just a tiny annoying one, you could be a form that arguably burrow under it, mouse (since they can fit through shit so small)

that being said, you're obviously using one of your rests forms, and if he was a massive cunt, could instakill you with disintegrate
>>
>>48789490

>You've triggered the trap a can of raid appears and sprays you
>>
>>48789490
Just get a new DM.
>>
>>48789518
Then you won't be able to open those door anyway. Friction and all that.
>>
More than a little out of the loop. Have their been any new class/subclass book releases since Sword Coast?
>>
>>48779792
Is there a way to get a permanent possession going?

Because that would mean i could munchkin my mental stats up and then simply posses a fighters/barbarians body.

>>48780935
First three levels in Swashbuckler rogue is all you need.

You already got your AC from your Draconic origin.

Then take all the levels in Sorcerrer you want or MC into something else.
Take a few feats to buff your HP up if you want but that's about all you need.

Pick your cantrips well.

You need one ranged cantrip and firebolt is a good standard or pick acid if you didn't go gold/red dragon.

Then pick up things you want to use for melee fighting and those are Booming Blade and Green Flame blade.

Finally there's crowd control and assuming Elemental Evil is allowed then you should take the Thunderclap cantrip as it forces a Con save and most things don't have good Con saves (that goes especially for mob monstears and hecto peasants as well as giving you the FusRoDah effect you are aiming for).

Since as a Swashbuckler rogue you don't get an extra attack feature those cantrips will be yor bread and butter.

Pick up a fighter level for fighting style later if you want or some feats like mobile, spell sniper (if you want to use BB/GFB with whips from a safer position) and tough (for extra HP)/ Resilient (Con) for Con saves.

The rest of your spell should be either pure damage burst of the damage type you need as a Dragon Sorcerrer or utility spells.

Only sad thing is that there isn't a Draconic origin that boosts thundering damage.
Ask your DM if he'll allow you to change Blue or Green to Thundering damage boost/ressists.
>>
Okay guys I need some help. I'm prepping a sci-fi/sci-fantasy game using 5e, and the issue of currency came up.

Do you prefer your scifi money to be called Credits, Units, or something else? Should they be equal to silver or copper pieces? Is there a better way to convert d&d money over to a futuristic setting?
>>
>>48783642
If you are starting to MC then count on the fact which class levels you want more of and how long the campaign will last.

If it will last past level 11-13 then get more fighter levels because that's another extra attack in it.

If you are sticking to low levels only dip one level in fighter for fighting style or take only one level in Barbarian for their unarmoured feature and make the other levels in Fighter.

MCing at low levels is only really a thing for Clerics and Rogues who can bennefit from it because they don't get extra attack.
>>
Is the Artificer Wizard tradition playable? I know it's not good but will I be punished for playing one?
>>
>>48788526
Take 2 rogue levels and you don't need to spend ki on it.
Take the mobile feat.
Be a wood elf.
Pick the shadow monk tradition.
Enjoy being able to escape from anything that ever existed.

Oh and if they ever make a feat that grants the "Mariner fighting style" then just take that and get "Alter self" for water breathing with Magic Initiate so even under water you are the king of movement.
>>
>>48789680
Credits have always been my favourite and I would make them equal to copper so people can throw around bid numbers while talking about money
>>
>>48789490
Transform into a fly or ant and go in through the keyhole.
>>
>>48789810
*Big numbers
>>
File: gantz_face_dog.jpg (21KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
gantz_face_dog.jpg
21KB, 125x125px
>>48789794
But I don't wanna multiclass. :<
And I'm not so sure sacrificing ability upgrades for feats will be that great an idea this early on...
>>
>>48789840
This is for late game once you maxed out your Dex/Wis.

At early levels going with the pure monk features you are the best martial in the group (other martials can't keep up with your attacks untill around level 8-11-ish when magic weapons become common and you don't have a +1 to hit on your unarmed strikes)
>>
File: 1461745075660.jpg (199KB, 724x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461745075660.jpg
199KB, 724x900px
>>48789880
>level 8-11+
Could still be made up for with a bunch +DEX talisman/"armor" pieces, braces, belts or whatever, no?
>>
>>48789680

Have two currencies. One is the widely accepted "credits". Credits are widely accepted inmost civilized planets. Physical Credits don't exist, as it is all electronic. Itis also tracked. Then you have your second currency.Call it whatever you like (I'll go with "cashey-money" or CM) CM is solid currency, accepted in the outer reaches of whatever system you are using. It is untracable in of itself. The problem with CM is that most of the time, possessionof CM is illegal in areas that expect Credits, as only criminals and uncivilized planets use CM. Also, good luck finding someone who will exchange one for the other without charging exorbitant amounts to do so and be quiet about it (since CM is solid, it can be stolen. It's quite the scam to convert Credits to CM, then get your confederates to waylay the newly-flush with CM. Likewise, someone who suddenly shows up with a ton of Credits would be suspicious to CorpSec or whatever your unified police force is called)

As for how to convert it, just make everything cp. For credits, it lends that cyberpunk feel of using a yen-like currency. For CM, a decent weapon is going to set you back a bit,as would adventuring gear. Just remember to remind your players that if they decide to pick up everything with a view to sell it, you WILL start enforcing encumbrance rules. Also remind them that CM is weightless, as are Credits.
>>
>>48787409
>Sympths
The hell is that? Google failed me here.
>>
>>48788100
I'd argue against letting heavy weapons key off of dex. If you want to allow the other benefits of being a monk weapon apply then there is no problem, but it likely isn't worth it then.
>>
>>48786235
>Lelf
>>
>>48789906
No.
At that point you deck out with more magic items than the rest of the party which most DMs won't allow.

This is why people bitch that monks are one of the worst martials (despite being the best choice and highest damage dealer at early levels).

They fall behind because of the simple design flaw of not gaining any scaling bonus to unarmed strikes.

I mean they can even incorporate it with the feature ''Ki enhanced strikes'' that you get at lvl 6 and it would fit right in place without breaking anything.

So simply add this line:
''In addition your unarmed strikes recieve a scaling to hit bonus equal to a fifth of your monk level rounded down.''

Other than that their other late level features are lack lustre.

>Being able to understand what everyone speaks but nothing else (easily covered by giving them ritual magic and even then you'd need to allow them something like running rituals from all spell lists of Wis).

>Saving throw proficiency in every stat but nothing else. (okay it's actually a good feature but you could make it better like adding a line that allows you to boost one stat of your choice past 20 when you get there)

>Lvl 20 feature is ''oooh i am spooky ghost nao''

Basically lame late-game features fuck the class over.
>>
File: Dice.png (985KB, 913x778px) Image search: [Google]
Dice.png
985KB, 913x778px
Buy some dice good goys, only $26 for 18 sets of dice.
>>
>>48790066
>Living in 'merica
>>
>>48788911
I don't think you can change the form of a pact weapon that's a bonded magical item, it's just the default form you can alter.
>>
I think max Stealth check is +57
>>
>>48790124
Math?
>>
>>48790124
That's Bard with Expertise in Stealth, some stolen aura spell and some magic items.
Did i miss anything?
>>
>>48788094
no room for spells/10
>>
>Blade Mastery
>You master the shortsword, longsword, scimitar, rapier, and greatsword. You gain the following benefits when using any of them:
>• You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make
with the weapon.
>• On your turn, you can use your reaction to assume a parrying stance, provided you have the weapon in hand. Doing so grants you a +1 bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn or until you’re not holding the weapon.
>• When you make an opportunity attack with the weapon, you have advantage on the attack roll

Isn't this powerful as fuck?
>>
>>48790154
Ranger 10 for Hide in Plain Sight +10
Pass without trace +10
Rogue or Bard for expertise Stealth +6
Prof +6
Dex +5
Roll a nat +20
Oh and Guidance cantrip for an extra +4

So 61

If you have a Manual of Bodily action and were an elf you could eventually get 30 Dex so Stealth 66
>>
>>48790320
oh and stone of good luck +1

So 62 or 67
>>
One of my players wants to retire a character and start a new one. The players all have quite a few magical items.

Should I allow the new character to have magic items? I was thinking he could start with 1 item, randomly determined from 3 or so that he picked. I just need an idea of the value restriction. The players are all level 12.
>>
>>48790277
Top shelf for Rogues, they LOVE opportunity attacks and really want them to land for off-turn SAs.

Blade Mastery(Hum)/Sentential/Mage Slayer

>>48790351
You can have three Stones of Good Luck.
>>
>>48790379
DMG pp. 138
You can only attune to one copy of a magical item
>>48790366
DMG pp. 38
Starting Equipment
>>
>>48787501
That's awesome, anything specifically about the Neverwinter, Neverwinter Wood, Mount Hotenow area? Maybe the Uthgardt tribes around there?
>>
How would you do Masterwork Weapons/Armor in 5e, if you did them at all?
>>
>>48790410
+1/2/3 bonus, but doesn't count as magical.

Additionally, magical weapons can be magical without any bonuses.
>>
>>48790277
It's just good. Compare to getting a +2 to dex: +1 to finesse and ranged weapons, +1 AC if armor doesn't cap it, and +1 dex checks. Instead it's a hit bonus to a different set of weapons, AC in exchange for your reaction and a situational advantage. It's fine.

The only "problem" with it is too many +1s to hit can work against bounded accuracy in extreme circumstances, but that would take max stats as well as multiple feats giving +1 stacking bonuses all of which cost you anyways. Very little room for abuse.
>>
>>48790277
>• On your turn, you can use your reaction to assume a parrying stance, provided you have the weapon in hand. Doing so grants you a +1 bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn or until you’re not holding the weapon.
>• When you make an opportunity attack with the weapon, you have advantage on the attack roll

But this sucks because your opportunities take up your reactions, so the feat works against itself.
>>
File: 1462497596346.jpg (145KB, 628x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1462497596346.jpg
145KB, 628x1273px
>>48790060
That "+[x] weapons ONLY!!!" seems like a kinda strange GM stance?

Our GM said that magic crap will be available to buy, as long as we find a large enough city to contain such merchants and stockages. And if you're an ascetic dude that only cares about working out or training, what else are you gonna spend your adventure gold on, but +DEX/WIS shit?
>>
>>48790439
It's actually very economic, few things in 5E allow you to use your reaction without a trigger. If you're closing distance, playing defensively or triggering traps it's wonderful.

Think of it like this: You just closed distance with an archer and slayed him, his buddy is 10ft away but you can't make it until next turn. Do you think you'll get an OA? Not likely, you'll probably get plucked though.
>>
File: kobold 1471030175477.png (1MB, 1180x1205px) Image search: [Google]
kobold 1471030175477.png
1MB, 1180x1205px
>>48787501
>box sex
Your autocorrect suggests an exciting search history, Anon!
>>
>>48790491
Oooooor you can raise your Strength or Dexterity by +2.
>>
>>48784593

>that moment when you fess up to your AL DM that you are unsure what spells to take as a lorebard eoth L6, and admit you want counterspell
>he did not know bards dont learn counterspell
>we both agree thats retarded
>jack of trades is even suposed to apply to it
>admits the PHB has mistakes, like reccomending spells for the warlock quickbuild that arent in the addendum list, even though they are clearly meant for warlock, like Withering Touch
>forces me to spend a magical secrets slot on it anyway because "muh rules"

I love this game, but I hate how it draws all the autists
>>
>>48790526
Dude, you're playing AL - of course they follow RAW
>>
>>48790526
>he did not know bards dont learn counterspell
>we both agree thats retarded

What is this? Battle of the magical bands? Bards shouldn't be able to magic duel with their lutes, fuck that noise.
>>
Wow, trying to find all the latest UAs on the D&D website is a mess. I can see these:

April: Gothic Heroes
May: DMs guild
June: Feats
July: quick characters
August: the Faithful

Did I miss any?
>>
>>48790439
The bigger issue is working against Defensive Duelist.
>>
I'm trying to find a good DM screen for Strahd. Anyone had good experiences with any?
>>
File: 1439566830080-1.gif (219KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
1439566830080-1.gif
219KB, 300x475px
>>48790572
>defensive duelist can only be used with finesse weapons
>mfw

The bigger issue is I can't do sick parries with a great sword.
>>
>>48790060
That's literally just a lack of GWM or Sharpshooter for monks - just like TWF or One-Handed fighting
>>
Isn't the UA Theurge wizard just a lamer but more OP alternative to arcane cleric
>>
>>48790568
>>48790601
Btw The Faithful is missing from the trove
>>
>>48790587
>Monks are suppose to do damage

Monks exist for Moon Druids to multiclass into.
>>
>>48784715
And thats even before you apply a Jack of All Trades
>>
Any Russian speaking bros about?

My character comes from a psuedo-slavic country, and is out-right terrified of Ghouls and similar undead. I've tried to find translations of Ghoul, but it comes out as Upyr, which is closer to Vampire than what I want. Is there a better word for Ghoul?
>>
>>48790691
Cyka is what we call ghouls.
>>
>>48790552

I dont exactly have much of a choice in this town

>>48790561

Retarded like a ROCKSTAR
>>
>>48790708
I thought it was "blyat"?
>>
>>48790584
Just use the normal screen and print off and stick on the Lay of the Land and random encounters table

I also added stuff from DMG
>>
>>48790601
Basically. I don't think I'd allow it, not because it's OP (it is though), but because why would anyone ever play a cleric if it was allowed? The warlock is OP, but since it doesn't invalidate a whole class, I allow it.
>>
Would you let a Moon Druid reflavor his forms to suit the character better?

A player wants to be a snake druid so I'm planing to just let him flavor some of the dinosaurs as Gigantic Snakes but I already told one player he couldn't reflavor a bunch of crap. He wanted to play a Succubus (Tiefling) Samurai (Eldritch knight) with a Giant Anime Sword (He wanted it to be a 8 foot Longsword) and I'm worried he'll have a meltdown about it.
>>
>>48780935
I'm doing one right now, 2 levels of tempest cleric for heavy armor, shields and better weapons, twinning buffs means you don't want to take a ton of damage and with t cleric you're gonna want to do some blasting as well. It's really fun, my GM banned MCing because of me, though it doesn't make use of the free mage armor and stuff.
>>
what'sthe difference between a dragonborn and a Half-dragon, besides the fact that the Half-dragon lore is much cooler?
>>
>>48781166
A player of mine just drank a "potion" used for Magic Jar, forcing the soul to possess him and giving him some of the spellcasting (it was dormant, otherwise it would have taken over completely), then it escaped and it's not going to be easy to get back his powers.
>>
>>48790988
My instincts say this is just b8, but for the sake of helping an anon, I'll risk it.

I would only allow reflavors if it fits the campaign I am currently running. The moon druid is asking for something that's fairly innocuous, so I would allow it in most campaigns. The tiefling is asking for something that is only appropriate in the most weeaboo of campaigns. I tend not to run weeaboo campaigns. so I would tell him no. If he persists in making it an issue, he might have to leave, as he probably isn't a good fit for the campaign.

There's no harm in asking for reflavors, but holy shit that request from the succubus guy just throws up so many warning flags.
>>
>>48791134

Meh. Its just a variant tiefling paladin with great sword fighting style
>>
Are there any cool Wild Shape option for Moon Druid in 3pp book? Maybe tome of the beast?
>>
>>48791221
Yeah anon, that's what refluffing is. I could say that my animal companion is Twilight Sparkle and it's just a variant horse, that doesn't mean it would be appropriate for most standard campaigns.
>>
File: baboon tracphone.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
baboon tracphone.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>>48790988
I know that exact feel, I don't want to be Beast Boy, but have a theme of a few animals. Kinda worried about higher levels. A quick and dirty way to smoother scaling is just making the HD equal to the druid level, although it's very gamey(rats with huge guts).

Moon Druids can't use most magic items, just offer him wildshape upgrades and blessing as rewards if he stays in touch with his circle or finds altars. They should always be able to find a Moon Druid clan meet ups during a full moon to commune to trade/receive blessings or finds an ancient altar.

>You become proficient with natural weapons and deal additional +1/2/3 damage(Blessing, uncommon/rare/very rare) with them. Your hands become natural weapons that deal 1d4/1d6/1d8 slashing damage.

This allows druid to replace the creature's prof with weapons with their own. Inspired by this RAI: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/23/wildshape-with-proficiency/

>Max HD of a single wildshape form for up to one week(druid only, blessing, legendary)

Good way to encourage him to visit his circle friends during the full moon and try new forms, perhaps every regional circle has a creature they favor. This was inspired by a Curse of Strad buff if a druid played around in some stone hedge runes.
>>
>>48789792
Even if you pick a shit wizard subclass like transmuter, you still won't be worthless because you're still a wizard.

Artificer actually isn't bad if you're playing a low-magic game where the DM is being stingy with magic loot.
>>
File: farty cat-dragon.jpg (286KB, 712x921px) Image search: [Google]
farty cat-dragon.jpg
286KB, 712x921px
>>48791233
You'll be the life of the party.
>>
File: Micah&Woolie.png (667KB, 559x906px) Image search: [Google]
Micah&Woolie.png
667KB, 559x906px
>>48791263
> Not changing yourself into a fluffy animal and seduce villagers with gifts.
>>
>>48791306
Thanks! It's a good thing my DM allows us to use any 3pp book, as long as it make the game more fun!

Conjure Animal count as "seeing one" right?
>>
>>48790691
It'd be said the same in Russian. Ghoul is just the English spelling of the Arabic word that sounds pretty much the same.
>>
>>48789792
I thought Artificer was awesome! Remember that your Potion of Growth works for 1d4 hours of concentration-free extra damage as a 1st-level slot (your monks and other martials will love it), your scrolls let you ignore the material components of spells you cast with it including the expensive ones, and you can enchant arrows to give a semi-permanent supply of them to archer martials. Very useful archetype.
>>
File: APHB.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
APHB.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's something simple I made up for reference.
>>
>>48791256

No, I mean, its literally a Tiefling variant. They get Friends and Charm person, instead of thaumaturgy and hellish rebuke.

Its Sword of the Coast

You can make this character, no refluff required
>>
>>48790601
The only OP part (more than normal) is the channel arcana. Adding +2 to the DC of a spell is always bad. The rest are not so bad because the spell options are very limited and the domain abilities are mostly worse for a wizard than a cleric (+WIS to cantrips damage, at cleric, etc.)

It's not like they get weapons or armor, and the cleric list only opens when you add all the domain spells to your book - so level 10+.
>>
>>48791402
Except the 8 foot long katana for samurais only.
>>
>>48790691
Call them out as Cossacks, but undead.
>>
>>48790672
Oh, I was including Jack of All Trades. Charisma 12 Bards with Glibness still get to effortlessly counter Meteor Swarm (14 if they haven't reached level 17 yet).
>>
>>48791378
Where did you get some of those backgrounds from? Not to mention the expanded armor list.
>>
Does anyone have a newer version of this, or any of his other class change things? I think he had a series of "The Complete [class]" but I can't find anything with google. I don't remember his real name but he goes by Joezombie. I remember he was in this thread and I had some discussions specifically on the Ranger, but I assume he has moved on or something.
>>
>>48791415

Fine, you might have to rein in that bit a couple of feet, but its not that out of the box.
>>
>>48791502
I never said it was out of the box anon. I said it was weeaboo as shit. Probably some of the most mainstream weeaboo as shit stuff you'll ever see, but still weeaboo as shit. It doesn't fit a non weeaboo as shit campaign.
>>
>>48791477
Forgot file
>>
>>48791533

Granted, granted, no weaboo love from me.

But

If the guy wants to play a far away traveler, maybe one who weilds a 5 foot long sword, that was once a magical 8 foot long sword of his god, before it got shattered by an evil being, and is now travelling on his pilgrimage to find an apropriately epic smith who can restore the relic to its former glory, then I'd say its a pretty fine way to play a tief pala.

Just lay disadvantages on him on his precious social rolls on account of cultural barriers
>>
How can I play the cutest catboy in 5e once the Volo's book comes out?
>>
>>48791753
Go back to /pfg/. Kitsuneboy is better anyway
>>
>>48787662

It's mostly the lack of benefits. The other races get more than just dark vision. Not to mention +1 to all stats is usually terrible, it's just not great for most classes.

They are by far the weakest race (at least in the core rule book). Variant Human is one of the best but I'd argue it's not THE best. It's just up there.
>>
>>48788463

That's absolute bollocks. Barbarians are good all the time. Totem Barbarian will be an awesome tank through out it's entire career and with Pole Arm Master and GWM your damage will be among the best too. Not to mention you get some amazing benefits too, like eagle flying speed.

Paladins get their fighting style and improved divine smite too, which helps shore up their damage. The fact that they're also among the best support classes doesn't lessen their value.
>>
>>48791826
The problem with variant humans is that they are a top tier race for every single class, which is not the case for anything else. It's also really lazy and feats are not designed with it in mind. If there was some separation of feats where Linguist, Actor, those types of feats were separate from GWM, SS, XBX, PAM, HAM etc. then I'd love to give them one of those because it has nice flavor, but that's a lot of work and it's easier just banning them. I buff humans too, with subraces and traits depending on culture/location, but even if I didn't I'd still ban variant humans, they just don't fit in well.
>>
>>48788911

You can't change a magic weapon with pact of the blade. You just make it your summonable weapon.
>>
>>48791826
The problem with standard human is none of the other benefits quite make up for not getting a +2 to a main stat. A bonus to your lowest stats mean precious little. I think adding an extra stat point on top of its +1 to all makes it a fair option.

I'm also for throwing everyone a 1st level feat and nixing variant human, but that's a tangential issue.
>>
>>48791880

The only feats I think are really too strong with Variant human are Pole Arm master and Cross Bow Expert, but even then I think most of the bitching about it is just over reacting. You can take GWM/SS if you want your attacks at level 1 to suck, but those feats aren't that great until your to hit bonus increases to compensate for the -5.

Either way, using the feat you get from V. Human to represent Human versatility makes a lot of thematic sense to me. I like that aspect a lot.

>>48791898

Even then it just makes humans the worst race. I think if you want it to work you have to buff base humans too, otherwise why be a human when I can be a half elf and get the +1 to my main stats that main human would get plus a shit load of elf racial bonuses too.
>>
>>48791914
Yeah I don't think taking one of the best feats is too strong compared to other races, more just that those really strong feats mean the options become very limited - no one wants to get Actor and Linguist when everyone else is getting PAM and stuff. Also, SS/GWM is mostly for battlemaster/scout, my scout has a +7 to attack and accurate attack on top so it's doing quite well.
>>
>>48791951

they're two of the best feats in the game for the people who can use them, it's just they're not great first level because your to hit bonus is so low you're just relying totally on luck. they're great once you have better hit chance.
>>
>>48791914
I never understood why half-elves get their choice of two skills while humans only get an extra language. I'd say give default humans skill versatility and a tool proficiency of their choice as well.
>>
>>48791975
I mean, how high do you wanna get? The one I suggested is a ranged battlemaster/scout which means +7 at first level, increasing by 1 at 4th and 5th with a dex increase from ASI and the proficiency bonus increase. With accurate attack adding 1d8 to hit up to four times per short rest, I think it's already quite effective. War Cleric also comes to mind.
>>
>>48791466
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Homebrew
I modified some of the stuff elsewise, the armor list is a mix of that and Pathfinder's ultimate equipment.
>>
New thread >>48792168
>>
>>48792050
Side note: I am a DM who only has done 3 partial campaigns, and played a handful of times. I am by no mean an expert in any of this.

I look over this shit more than I've actually played.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.