[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Best Edition Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 38

File: roll20 q2 2016.png (182KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 q2 2016.png
182KB, 500x731px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
>>48749044

Pic source: http://blog.roll20.net/post/148840854540/the-orr-group-industry-report-q2-2016
>>
>>48758334

jesus fuck, stay away from my party's arcane trickster, I could just see him pulling this shit
>>
what's pathfinder anyways? is it just a mod of 3.5e?
>>
>>48758604
A studio that wrote some stuff for 3.5e took the open license parts of the system, added and changed some things, then released it as their own brand. 4e wasn't that well-received at the time so 3.5e players made their rebranded system pretty successful.
>>
>>48758522
>less than 10% share for star wars, wod, and shadowrun combined

That's always disappointing. I wish I wasn't trapped in this edition.
>>
>>48758604
It's less a plugin and more a revised edition of the entire rules, like 3.75. A few things were fixed, but many other things just got worse. Example: they wanted to make the classes more balanced, so they gave fighters and rogues extra class features... and they also gave clerics and wizards extra class features, much better than the ones fighters and rogues get. Sort of one step forward, three steps back.
>>
File: 1462742757020.jpg (130KB, 930x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1462742757020.jpg
130KB, 930x1600px
>>48758522
Question: I have a race in a homebrew setting that is basically an Artificial Intelligence. One key component of their fluff is that they don't die easy. Most deaths result in some data loss, but they survive in the Net and can be re-downloaded into a new body as soon as the party makes it back to civilized space or an open connection.

How can I mechanically best cover that? How OP is technical immortality? Would a corruption/data-loss mechanic balance such a thing out?
>>
>>48758579

It's a bit worse for them because they can only get Wizard spells and the highest they're going to get is Leomund's Tiny Hut and Water Breathing..at like level 11 and 17.
>>
>>48758579
>>48758707
but... it doesn't work
>>
>>48758717 is technically correct. It wouldn't work because Ritual Caster's copy rules say that you need to find it in *written* form, such as scroll or wizard's spellbook, not that you can copy a ritual spell you know to the ritual book.
>>
>>48758682
Well, the new body should probably cost something, maybe the cost of the appropriate . As for the data loss, either let them roleplay it out or come up with a table they can roll on, maybe a d100 table. "Forget an old friend," "forget your current quest objective," "forget an important secret," that sort of thing.
>>
>>48758682
Not really OP, it's not that different from making a new character with the same build.

Getting a new body can be an issue, or a benefit, depending on what Str/Dex/Con the available bodies have.
>>
>>48758759
cost of the appropriate raise dead spell's components*
>>
from last thread, I'm >>48758386

replying to >>>>48758530

I guess I wasn't clear, I am the DM, and I was trying to think of some ideas for interactions between the dragon and him. The Abier sounds interesting. I'll have to take another look at the SCAG to learn more about Dragonborn.
>>
>>
>>48758682
You could draw inspiration from previous editions and let them come back at a lower experience level than before, to represent the data loss. However, players will be rather reluctant to use this.

If you want something a little less brutal that players might actually use, you could waive the material components on spells that raise them from the dead, since their souls don't go to the Outer Planes but rather to the magical internet.
>>
>>48758682
A cost to represent the new body, I'd say.
>>
>>48758682
Raise dead and such doesn't work, but they can be revived at any time if one can afford a replacement body.

Make replacement body 300 or more gp. Or don't, I'm not your real dad
>>
>>48758742

that clause regards learning spells you don't know by head without looking at a page, for spell casting you don't know by head that requires you to look at the page.

You are transcribing it from the notes in your head to the notes in the paper, much like the notes in one paper to another. It's all just the translation of meanings from object into concepts, in which the middle man is cut, because when you're a bard or an AT, your spellbook is your memory.

After that, you're free to forget the spell and become reliant on your copies of the page, because you've erased your original mind book
>>
>>48758759
I like the idea of a table. I have at least one roleplay-impaired player who would like the guidance a table could bring.

>>48758766
Not sure how to go about the Str/Dex/Con thing. I try to keep mechanics simple, and modifying stats like that would be tricky. I don't want AI characters to off themselves just to upgrade to a better body, as much sense as that would make sometimes.

>>48758768
I also like this. Especially as a plot hook. Party can't afford to get a new body for their AI? No problem! There's always a shady loan shark hanging around with very "reasonable" interest rates.

>>48758821
The first option is a little too brutal, I agree. But the second seems too easy.

>>48758849
>not my real dad
Says you.
>>
File: 5e ritual caster.png (413KB, 358x489px) Image search: [Google]
5e ritual caster.png
413KB, 358x489px
>>48758855
No, the rule I'm referring to is how you can get more spells for your ritual book from the feat.
>>
How broken would it be if I allowed casters in my group to maintain concentration on more than one spell at a time if

> Make a concentration check when they cast the new spell. DC equals 8 + combined level of spells.
> Each round they make a concentration check to maintain both spells. DC equals 8 + combined level of spells + number of rounds since the second spell was cast.
> Limit 2 spells
> Still make concentration check when they take damage, otherwise both spell effects end.
>>
>>48758973
More potentially exploitable and complicated than it's worth.
>>
>>48758906

That might be the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.

You do "run across" those scrolls, when you learn them through your bardic class. You're constantly running across them, and looking at them, and reading them, because they're already perfectly conceptualized, in your mind.

It's like saying you have learned the "along came a spider" lymeric from divine inspiration with god like clarity, but you can't write down the lyrics, because even though it is seared into your brain like a fiery brand, and you're entirely proficient in the skills, since you've never seen it written down somewhere else before and so you are powerless to act.

It's the entire reason why it costs so much time and money to copy a spell scroll, and why you can't just rob another wizard's spell book and cast it from his directly.
You have to read his notes, and then write your notes from it, in a way that makes sense to your mind
With bardic spell acquirement, good news, IT'S ALREADY IN IT.
>>
>>48758855
It doesn't work (well) because you can only exchange one spell each level.
>>
To the guy talking about Gestalt in the last thread, what are the full rules for it? Is it literally just gain 2 levels at every level?
>>
>>48759009
PLEASE PEOPLE STOP RESPONDING TO THIS (shit) TROLL
>>
>>48758973
bad idea mate
>>
>>48759026
There aren't rules for it in 5e, not officially anyway.
>>
What happens in this situation:

> Cast polymorph on a monster / NPC
> Turn them into harmless creature (toad, rat, earthworm)
> Put them in extradimensional space (bag of holding, rope trick space, etc.)
> Drop concentration

What happens next?
>>
>>48759009

Not saying it lets you bypass the cost, but it's high and mighty bullshit to say you can't write down your notes for a spell you know that can later be copied by another spell caster do write down your notes that he didn't knew onto his notes to cast a spell that he didn't know, but HOWEVER you can write down a spell that somebody ELSE knows, even though already knew it to begin with.
>>
>>48758973
Things are going to get a little more broken because concentration is really hard to break as it is. I would suggest also reducing the caster's speed, making them a sitting duck, so they REALLY decide if they want to duel-concentrate or not.
>>
>>48759056
the monster turns back into whatever it was before you cast polymorph on it, in the extradimensional space you put it in while it was polymorphed.
in a bag of holding, it can either try to escape or just chill there. it says if its ripped or what have you the bag breaks and spills everything out. a monster can likely do that to a bag of holding, but its up to your dm.
rope trick, as long as it can fit it can just jump out the window back into whatever plane you're on. if its too big, i would just rule it gets shunted out of the rope trick space as it transforms back.
>>
>>48758864
What's wrong with the second? It still requires a spellcaster with the right kind of spell known or prepared, so it guarantees that nobody's getting raised earlier than normal. And other debilitating effects on the spellcaster and the raised target would still apply. Honestly, gold is the least important hindrance when casting a spell like this, since there's not much else to spend gold on anyway.
>>
>>48758973
Yeah, nah. At the very most I can see a certain concentration spell effect becoming more persistent, as a class feature or powerful magical item. But outright doubling what a caster can maintain is too much.

On a somewhat related note, I think you can cast a concentration spell while another is up, getting its effects for that round and not losing the previous because you don't actually switch to the other one. Hardly worth it, but eh.
>>
>>48759112
>and spills everything out
*INTO THE ASTRAL PLANE by the way
same as if the monster overloads the bag (i.e. weighs more than 500 lbs)
>>
>>48759114
>What's wrong with the second
I like the idea of requiring buying a new body is all.
>>
>>48759056

We actually killed an Illithid by turning him into a gold fish and throwing him into a bag of holding.
>>
One of my PC's wants to multiclass as a Wizard/Rogue because of his silly character background Narutard who became a wizard exclusively due to the fact that he reached age 30 without having sex
I'm aware that sneak attack doesn't work for cantrips, but do y'all think that a homebrew feat that permits sneak attack bonuses on spells- or even just cantrips- would break the game?
>>
>>48759693
Just have him use Booming Blade or GFB
>>
>>48759693
Why did he not just pick Arcane Trickster? If I remember correctly they get a feature like that anyway.
>>
>>48759693

>that background

He can use a crossbow or he can use one of the melee cantrips from SCAG (BB and GFB).

>>48759693

They don't. They did in 3.PF, I believe.
>>
File: 1465362981814.jpg (309KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1465362981814.jpg
309KB, 1280x1280px
>be caster
>+5 to spell attack roll
>keep rolling 6's and 5's
>mfw wasting spells when it really matters

My dice hate me
>>
So I typically try not to be a cheesing powergamer fag but I've heard nothing but bad things about Monks.

Is there a cheesy way to make them "viable" without homebrewing? Certain Feats or whatever?
>>
>>48759802
You've heard nothing but bad things, but haven't tried it and aren't a cheesing powergamer fag.

Just play a monk if you want to play a monk. Go Open Hand if you want to dim mak, or shadow if you want to ninja.
>>
Are the adventures in the OP mega any good? I've never done an AL game, but I'm getting burned out on homebrew adventures and want to run something different for my players that isn't one of the mainline adventures (EE, POTA, HOTDQ etc).
>>
>>48759851
LMoP and CoS are both real good.
>>
>>48759883
So, out of the dozens and dozens of AL adventures, the only ones ever suggest are LMoP and CoS (outside of the ones I mentioned).

Are all the other ones just garbo?
>>
>>48759802
They stunning fist, and have really good saves, and that's what they do well. People complain because they want to do as much damage as the GWM fighter. They're possibly a bit MAD, but if you roll for stats and you get good monk stats (16 dex/wis, alright con) then that's remedied. Open Hand is best because it makes you better at monk things, shadow is cool and not bad at all but still makes you spend ki on other things, and 4e is shit because it has tons of bad ways to spend ki. That's about what I can make of the situation, anyway. I've only played a monk once and never got to high level.
>>
>>48759802

literally nothing wrong with monks.
>>
File: 1262860374276.jpg (411KB, 964x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1262860374276.jpg
411KB, 964x1268px
>>48758682
Make it so that their data has a chance to get corrupted each time they die. That chance increases for each death. If they fail the save for corruption, they receive permanent INT/WIS/CHA penalties that can't be undone in any way.

If they succeed, they have to make a synch check with the new body. This also gets more difficult with each different body. Eventually, when they fail, the body gets permanent STR/DEX/CON penalties in the same way.

Having something like this makes a big incentive not to die. Otherwise, they're just going to do whatever they want in any combat situation because there's no real consequence other than going through the motions of getting a new body.
>>
>>48759802
No class in 5e is so bad that they're not viable. Even the Beast Master Ranger is viable. Stop listening to what everybody says and play how you want.

Yes, there are some lackluster classes, but everything is at least capable of filling their role in the party.
>>
>>48759725
He already classed as a wizard a while ago because he thought the illusion tree would be hilarious It is

That's a good idea, >>48759714 >>48759740 I might homebrew a little bit so that it works for a package of darts shurikens
>>
>>48760018
Other PCs dying is literally just 300 gold in diamonds down the drain so I don't see how they are that different.
>>
>>48760036

Aren't darts a ranged weapon that uses dex? It already works for them.

Don't know if you can booming blade/GFB with darts though, or any thrown weapon. The spell has a range of 5 feet after all.
>>
>>48759971
Alright that seems decent overall, I'd like to think I can rely on other party members to take advantage of setting up attacks.

Would a Goliath Monk make a good Grappler or does grappling not count for how the monk's dex punches work? I'll admit I haven't really looked at the Monk page much, I've simply not played one before so that's why I'm interested now.
>>
>>48760074
That's why you have to hold the wind shuriken and smack them in the face with it.
> It all makes sense now.
>>
File: grievous.gif (3MB, 390x357px) Image search: [Google]
grievous.gif
3MB, 390x357px
>>48760053
1) That's only Raise Dead, which only works within 10 days.
2) You need a body for that.
3) You get annoying penalties to your stats until you rest for at least 4 days.
4) True Resurrection, which is basically what he's trying to do with this data download thing, has a 25,000 gold cost and is a 9th spell.
5) You're comparing a 5th level spell to a 9th level spell.
6) He's trying to get the benefits of a 9th level spell from Level 1.
7) You're dumb.
>>
>>48760163

if it's going to be a big ass shuriken you could probably find a better expy for it than darts.

really though if your character wants to be a ninja just make them a monk.
>>
>>48760136
Grappling is, if not the opposite, at least diagonal from what monks are about. High speed dragging (up walls!) is cool, but you don't want to try and tank too much. Plus their skill check for itk is generally weaker.
>>
How do most drunks usually handle DnD? I know each one is unique, but I was looking for some stories/experiences.
>>
Anyone have good reincarnate stories?
>>
>>48760198
Yeah that's why I was going to go with Goliath since they have
>"Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift."
which I would assume includes carrying little goblins around and +2 to STR.

I suppose I could make a fistfighting Barbarian instead though since I still haven't played one, or even go Barbarian/Monk multiclass.
>>
Open Hand monk eventually gains immunity to poison, can he no longer become drunk?
>>
>>48760192
This is true. Sneak attacks are cool and all, but the monk tree is probably just objectively better
I remember mentioning that a non-illusion tree would have been much better for stealth narutard jokes and he just responded with
>Naruto
>Anything but stealthy
>>
>>48759944
I haven't run any of the others, so I don't know.
>>
>>48760335
hes always high of life
>>
>>48760335
RAW yes.
>>
>>48760074
>Don't know if you can booming blade/GFB with darts though, or any thrown weapon. The spell has a range of 5 feet after all.
technically this AND they specify a melee attack.
and letting him just do it anyway would be slightly game breaking because that makes those cantrips WAYYYY Better than other ranged damage cantrips.
but then again whatever. let him take a feat or something is what i would say...
>>
>>48760187
You can still have the penalties, not that they are particularly important ( you cant revive these guys in a dungeon, so you have free time to rest since you are back in civilization). I have never known the time or body constraints to have any factor at all among my players. Gentle repose exists and is a ritual spell, and that's closet to what's happening here. So in short

You are confusing a 9th level spell and a 2nd level spell.
You are a fucking retard.
>>
Low int wizard: I know you can get by early on when everyone kind of sucks but how well does it work at middle levels? (10-13)
>>
>>48760511
>Low int wizard
why.png
>>
File: saad maan.jpg (21KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
saad maan.jpg
21KB, 500x334px
>>48760390
>tfw I'm dm
>I could declare it to be a magical immunity that only resists poisons intentionally crafted to harm
>I'd still feel shitty
>>
File: mary-o.png (24KB, 290x283px) Image search: [Google]
mary-o.png
24KB, 290x283px
>>48760428
>Gentle repose exists and is a ritual spell, and that's closet to what's happening here.
No, it's not. He wants to be able to download his soul into a new body. That means that, no matter what happened to the old body, he can just find a new one and download his soul from "the Internet."

Disintegration? Who cares.
Body fell into a volcano? Who cares.
Act like a completely reckless goon and body falls into a wood chipper? Who cares. None of that matters because my party can just go into town and bring me back to life for nothing. As long as one person in the party lives, we all come back for free.

Normally, only a spell like True Resurrection would help in a situation like that. Gentle Repose just keeps a body fresh long enough for you to cast Raise Dead on it. It doesn't bring a body back to life. So, you use a 2nd level spell to keep an intact body fresh long enough to use a 5th level spell.

So, once again, you're a complete moron who doesn't even know how basic spells work.
>>
>>48760570
>So, once again, you're a complete moron who doesn't even know how basic spells work.
/thread
>>
>>48760570
When is the last time one of your players fell into a volcano? Or was disintegrated? It's such a fringe case that you shouldn't call a feature powerful for being able to avoid it.

I will concede my point if you have ever been destroyed by a volcano in game. Maybe it comes up more often than I thought.

Not that it matters at all since by the time that shit becomes a threat you can do things like chopping off your pinky and saving it and doing fabricate/stone to flesh cheese or the like
>>
So I'm going to start a new campaign this weekend, there is:

1x Paladin/Half-Elf
1x Barbarian/Goliath
1x Tiefling/Warlock
1x Not sure which race/Wizard
1x Not sure which race/Cleric

I want to run a very brutal campaign, and I was thinking in put a Eternal Flame Guardian as their first oponent, do you guys think that it will be easy or hard? The exp table says that is a hard encounter but from my experience numbers > strenght in 5e.
>>
>>48760346

I mean...Monk vs Rogue is a hard comparison. Rogues definitely will do more damage but Monks have great team support capabilities (especially way of the shadow with pass without trace for when your whole team of plate wearing dick heads needs to sneak) and stunning strike.

Rogues do too though, I guess, with their skills and the illusions/enchantments from Arcane Trickster. It's a tough call.
>>
>>48758682
Pay for the new shell.
Pay for their brain storage in "the cloud".
Make sure you're keeping track of when they last backed themselves up.
Have one of the PCs get hacked.
>>
Halp. 4 hours out from DMing a session for my group. Left them in a situation I do not want to deal with anymore that is kind of super boring. What should I do to shake things up? Dragon attack? Giants? Dragons riding giants?
>>
>>48760737
Make their best buddy NPC betray them.
>>
>>48760712
>Eternal Flame Guardian
what
>>
>>48760737
half-dragon giant
>>
>>48760793
which half is dragon?
>>
>>48760699
>Or was disintegrated?
Are you seriously using that as a rebuttal? "When was the last time you were killed by this 5th level spell that is designed to kill you dead and specifically put in the game to introduce players to the idea of potentially being dead forever?"

There are countless ways to die without being able to get your body back. Hell, if your body just falls into a crevice and can't be retrieved, that means you can't be revived until late game. So, you need to make a new character.

The reason why True Resurrection has a huge gold cost and is a 9th level spell is to make death an actual punishment. Until you reach that point, being brought back to life is a huge pain in the ass unless you were killed in combat and the enemy was nice enough to not just whack off your head. Dying should be a huge detriment to the party and to yourself.
>>
>>48760801
The pointy bits
>>
>>48760804
Sorry, it's a 6th level spell. My mistake.
>>
File: Eternal Flame Guardian.jpg (101KB, 355x586px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal Flame Guardian.jpg
101KB, 355x586px
>>48760780
This guy
>>
>>48760843
oh. it wont be terribly interesting, just attacking back and forth so idk. add some interesting environmental features or something is my advice.
>>
>>48759026
Typically, it would be that you gained the HP of the best class, all class features of both including two sets of spell slots(except maybe you'd only gain the ASIs of one class, fighter having priority over others because of their extras), skill proficiencies of both, and save proficiencies of both. Equipment would probably be decided by gold, not equipment options, and you'd only get one background, and you'd only have the one proficiency bonus(you'd start with a +2 bonus, not +4).

That's the rough homebrew rules for gestalt.
>>
>>48760843
pretty sure a lv 1 party would get murked, but maybe they're crafty players so who knows.
>>
>>48759056
It suffocates in 10 minutes.
>>
>>48760892
It will be a kidnaped kid turned into this guy.

>>48760916
I think that will be hard, maybe 1 or 2 may die, but I think that it wouldn't be a TPK

>>BTW: When a character die in your campaign do you guys allow the player create a new character with the same level or do you guys give some penalty?
>>
>>48761001
I used to tend towards the first but I have found that XP penalties bring only good things to the table. Death is meaningful, players actively fear it, and new characters take on an apprentice role until they catch up which creates for a much more natural party dynamic.
>>
>>48761001

If you're putting them up against something that you think is going to kill just "one or two" of them why the fuck would you punish them for dying.

Don't punish your players for dying in the first place. Dying is already it's own punishment.
>>
>>48761058
Which kind of penalty do you give? A level? More than that?
>>
>>48761001
i let them start lower at first, but eventually catch them up. though death is welcome in any campaign, being permanently under leveled compared to the rest of the party isn't very fun
>>
>>48761075
I'm not sure if I'll punish, I'm asking how do you guys do this.
>>
>>48761001
>>>BTW: When a character die in your campaign do you guys allow the player create a new character with the same level or do you guys give some penalty?
i read some guy i think on a different thread say he starts new characters at the lowest level for the tier the party is in.

ie if the pary is all level 8 and someone dies, he starts them at level 5, the beginning of tier 2.
>>
>>48761099

Don't. Being shittier than the rest of the party sucks enough as is.
>>
>>48761107
This is a interesting idea.
>>
>>48761079
I put them half a level below the lowest level party member. This means they catch up to the current average level before the party gets much stronger and makes it so they don't get unfairly punished if they die again while playing a weaker character.
>>
>>48760804
I seriously am using that rebuttal, because it sounds like you haven't. I play and DM in multiple games, over 20 players all together, and have been playing 5e since a month after the DMG came out. Some people might have more experience or met more players, but I personally haven't seen anyone disintegrated or trapped in lava or whatever. I'm saying it's rare, and it's not the reason why true res is strong. Power word heal let's the person you cast it on get up as a reaction, and it's the only effect of its kind. Does that mean if you made a homebrew spell that lets people stand up from prone it should also be a 9th level spell minimum? No you fucking retard. True res is strong because you can bring someone back from the dead completely ready to take on the bbeg in the time that it takes to short rest(with all their spell slots back too). Not because it is the only recourse for volcano victims.
>>
>>48760804
Why don't I believe any of these have ever happened to you or someone you know.
>>
File: suspicious .png (52KB, 448x213px) Image search: [Google]
suspicious .png
52KB, 448x213px
>>48761308
nah i agree with u tho
>>
File: gao.gif (204KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
gao.gif
204KB, 500x492px
If you had to propose an original campaign setting for 5e, what would it be?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>48761480
A while back there was a pretty bitching Science Fantasy setting on these boards. Fell through when someone said GURPS and another said D100 for system ideas and the whole thing imploded, but it was a fuck-awesome ride until /tg/ once again failed to get shit done.
>>
File: skeleton 2.gif (2MB, 450x247px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton 2.gif
2MB, 450x247px
>>48761259
First off, nobody cares about you or what you've done. This about the rules and what is written in the guides. Whether you're a veteran player or a new player, being wrong is being wrong. And that's what you are right now: wrong.

Moreover, for all your supposed experience, you didn't even know what Gentle Repose did, so who cares how many games you've played. Nobody is expecting you memorize every spell, but you could at least check the PHB before you run your mouth off.

And yes, the reason why True Resurrection is strong is because it's one of the only ways to bring back somebody who loses their body. The entire spell is "Bring somebody back to life no matter what." That's what the spell does. That's why it costs so much money. That's why it's a 9th level spell. Yes, it also has the benefit of allowing you to bring somebody back in the middle of a dungeon like a video game spell, and I'd be willing to let you argue that that is also the main selling point of the spell.

Nevertheless, you're using an incredibly poor analogy with the extremely secondary effect of prone recovery for Power Word Heal. Yes, it's the "only effect of its kind", but its an extremely minor one that is just a small benefit tacked onto a very potent 9th level spell. Being able to be brought back to life without a body is the ENTIRE POINT of True Resurrection (or one of two major points, if we concede to your earlier notion).

Once again, you really don't know how spells work or why they are balanced the way they are if you're using that sort of analogy. Dying itself has no real punishment at all if you can just go back to town and download your buddy's soul into a new body every time he dies.

Anyway, I'd love to argue this further (I wouldn't, actually), but I have other things to do. You're welcome to reply to this and get the last word or whatever, but I won't be around to reply. So, cheers.
>>
>>48759802
As others have said, monks definitely viable, and can even be incredible under the right circumstances. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Monks are not DPR. They get a huge damage boost early on, but that is effectively their damage output for the entire game until the very highest levels (or if you have a kind DM who drops a magic item that gives you +X to your fists...).

2) You have some of, if not the, greatest mobility in the game. Increased jumping, running up walls and across liquids, falling without suffering damage and prone, and even increased movement both through bonus action Dash and base movement increases. This is because...

3) Monks are skirmishers. Sure, the fighter is better at DPR and can even hang back to do so, but the monks make it hurt wherever they go. A mage in the back ranks will find monks jumping over, breaking through, or otherwise bypassing their defenders only to put a series of Stunning Strikes into his ribs. You are not great damage or control, you are precise application. They are mallets, you are a scalpel.

4) Use your subclass well. Open Hand breaks through the lines so that the way is paved for his allies, Shadow can appear anywhere that has darkness, 4e kinda sucks but has its uses, Sun Soul has range, and Long Death will simply give the middle finger to death as he plain outlasts everyone around him while inspiring fear in his enemies. Each subclass lends itself to more distinctive styles (OH is a controller, while Long Death is a tank), so play to those.
>>
File: 1466349996444.jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466349996444.jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>48761480
I'm working on one which is set after a huge war, and the sea is still in constant turmoil from magic devastation, most of the land is covered in a huge magical forest full of monsters, and a lot of the gods are dead and or sleeping, and may or may not have been replaced by elder beings from outside of reality. Elves are almost extinct, humans and orcs are the only ones who have recovered really. Dwarves mostly inhabit the ruins of their halls.
The main plot of the campaign I'm working on is going to be that the equivalent of the Eldreth Veluuthra (basically elf nazis) is working on reviving the orcish deity, but also making him and by extension all orcs even uh... more... orc-like and evil, and thus trying to use them to wipe out all the other races. This can't exactly backfire because all remaining (~300) elves live in a city protected by a semi-sleeping forest god/serpent/dragon which prevents outsiders from finding it.
Idk if that sounds cool or dumb or what, but its all still very much under construction. In the beginning its going to be about exploring the forest and trying to solve minor quests and stuff related to monster (orcs!) attacks, missing people, finding treasure, then its going to switch to stopping evil elves, then its going to switch to can the orc deity (or maybe its not him, but some kind of old one/outsider?) even be stopped.
I'm also working on making tons of weapons with discrete tricks (leftover from the war) and I'm toying with some kind of skill trick system for non-magical characters to give them some more discrete out of combat tricks they can do based on the combos of skills they have (i.e. proficiency in medicine + nature might let you make healing poultices, or stealth + sleight of hand might let you use inspiration to hide in plain sight). Still very under construction though.
>>
File: 1437694525942.gif (944KB, 296x209px) Image search: [Google]
1437694525942.gif
944KB, 296x209px
>>48760719
Certainly, that's a good point. I think I'll bring the monk thing up, too
He's fairly new to DnD But probably my favorite PC so far, dude's a natural, but I mentioned it and he said he'd really want to try it once he's nailed down the basics
>>
>>48760198
>>48760299
Do note that Long Death monks rock at tanking. Reliable temporary HP, an AoE fear effect to lock down small fry, and later the ability to say "No" to dropping to 0 HP. Heck, get high HP on them and they may even outlast Barbarians as tanks...
>>
New DM here. Is the official DM guide worth getting/using? Are there any third party ones that are more useful? I have an app on my phone that lets me generate lots and lots of random stuff but it doesn't have any official rulings/tables.
>>
>>48761712
And by DM guide I mean DM screen, whoops.
>>
>>48760511
Works out fine for necromancers and, to a lesser extent, conjurers. I think one of the standard necro-builds is saying "Screw casting!" and putting on plate armor and just leading your undead army.
>>
>>48761480
A modern setting covering some modern-day political conflicts and the effects of magic developing alongside technology. Avoiding going full fantasy cyberpunk like Shadowrun and the definitive post-WW2 tones of Eberron.

Mostly because if WotC is in charge /pol/ would be pissed off immeasurably by it.
>>
>>48761608

>4e kinda sucks but has its uses

Ok, random edition bashing in the middle of a post?

4e monks were fantastic.
>>
>>48758973
Do you want 3.5 again? Because that's how you get 3.5 again.

On the other hand, there's a novel setting where magic users are retardedly powerful and terrifying, and are intended to be. Normal humans hate them and hunt them.

Its not a good idea, but it would work in that sort of setting.
>>
>>48761732
Just get a binder or a large piece of cardboard man
When I started out I just ms-painted a bunch of the common minions together and printed it out
Use this thing if you want specific mechanics to print out http://imgur.com/gallery/Zmuxu
It covers a LOT of stuff
>>
>>48761712
>>48761732
these cover almost everything in the official 5E GM screen and even more. the GM screen includes the NPC tables from the DMG with regards to description, motivation, etc.
>>
>>48761686
I would prefer the Sun Soul, myself. They bring much needed (spammable) range to the monk.
>>
>>48761776
Holy shit, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>48761762
4e = four elements
>>
>>48760699
Not the samefag, but we lost our paladin because he ended up getting caught back with a mummy lord while a door was closing. No fancy spells to wreck the body, just a time limit and a really unhappy monster.

Second irretrievable corpse was a drunken dwarf Fighter who ended up acting as bait for the rest of the party to escape when he was knocked unconscious and his armor and weight made him impossible to carry.

Third featured a cleric who got nommed on by a pair of green dragons as we escaped their dungeon. These past three were all in the same dungeon (our DM may be a sadist).

A fourth encounter had our warlock get insta-gibbed by a silver dragon's ice breath. Shatterd beyond use. Didn't even have a wizard with Mending to try. Of course, he was an edgelord so he deserved it.

A fifth had a PC getting sucked into the elemental plane of earth. He isn't dead AFAWK, but if he does die then his body is also out of reach.

So over the course of five months, we have had five irretrievable corpses. This is a thing.
>>
File: Scooby The Old.jpg (359KB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
Scooby The Old.jpg
359KB, 933x1352px
>>48760511
Even early on it's hard to get by with a low Int Wiz. If you go 10 Int then you're basically going to be 15% less likely to land any spell that requires an attack roll or a save spell than a 16 Int Wiz (if I'm mathing right).

I mean, you CAN do it (and muscle wizards are rad), but it'll be evenly crippled the whole game.
>>
>>48761593
I don't see how I don't know what gentle repose did. It makes bodies last forever if you keep recasting it. But yeah if you think that True Resurrection is strong because it can save people that have been consumed by a volcano I can't stop you from being retarded. Disintegrated people can be brought back by casting normal resurrection on their dust, so that isn't it. And to top it all off it can't "Bring somebody back to life no matter what." If the target has been raised as an undead creature you still can't get them back (not even counting trap the soul style effects)

So if thats the point of True Resurrection its a pretty shitty point for it to have, considering it can't even do that right.

WORD.
>>
>>48761922
Good DM. I've only killed two PCs, only one of which stayed dead.
>>
>>48761762
Yeah, I would think that 4e=4 elements, one of the three core archetypes, makes far more sense in an in-depth discussion of why monks are good. I never even played 4e, so I couldn't really be edition-bashing...
>>
>>48761762
>4rries this sensitive

4 elements.
>>
>>48760511
There's enough spells that don't need Int that you can get away with it, but you are missing out on the spells that need Int obviously.

BB/GFB for cantrip damage, Animate Dead/Haste/Self Polymorph for greater effects.
>>
>>48761790
I was responding to a post about how monks were bad for tanking, so Sun Soul doesn't do much good there. They probably are the worst at tanking just because their primary abilities get worse in that situation...
>>
>>48760511

It's not good early on. I don't think it's ever good.

>Fighters with shitty Dex/Strength. Viable?
>Bards with no charisma and shitty dex with a bunch of useless skill expertise. Worth playing?

The answer to all of these and the no int wizard is, no, no it's not.
>>
>>48761991
He is new, but he is doing a really good job. He and I talk (I was his DM for other systems before he decided to try it, so he comes to me for advice) and he has a good grasp of Combat as Sport. Still struggles with CaW and the roleplay, but he has CaS and exploration down well. I was really proud of him for not pulling his punches.
>>
>>48761480
A pseudo-"realistic" Ancient Greece setting. Few or no wizards, most magic is divine. Humans only.
>>
>>48762119
Man, I wish the guy I tried to teach to DM would listen to me...I think he has decided that he should do the exact opposite of what I suggest.

I gave up, and let him have his OP NPCs (there's currently a dual-wielding greatsword DMPC with three magic items in the party) and his shit monsters.

Only reason I haven't quit is because if I did, the group would vanish; they're only sticking with it because after his game is over, my campaign will begin.
>>
>>48762096
Well, casters can get by with spells that don't require attack rolls/saves. So basically only magic missle for damage. Presumably if they have low casting stats those stats are going somewhere else like lots of con or some melee/armor stats.
>>
>>48762189
Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia does this, essentially.
>>
>>48762096
I've actually been fiddling around with a Purple Dragon Knight X/Warlock 2 or 3+ build that basically focused on dumping standard Fighter abilities for Charisma and Con, then acting as a supporter while otherwise EBing it up. Not optimized by any means, but still viable. Still need 13 of either Str or Dex, but I think that still counts as low for the purposes of this discussion.

Bard is harder. I would pump it up as a support/healer build with a focus on either Perception or lore skills. Go Valor for medium armor, then take the feat to get up to heavy so your AC is good. I'd play it
>>
>>48762276
Low Cha Bard focusing on self buff and being a close combat monster could be decent. Steal some Paladin spells for extra laughs.
>>
>>48762203
He definitely goes in a different direction than I do. I'm a fan of RP-heavy and sandbox-style adventures with a looser story that can be approached and advanced by numerous paths (and that continues advancing if the heroes do nothing to thwart it). He prefers more linear stories that are very much on-the-rails, but he does a good job of keeping us traveling and seeing new parts of the world. Where I generally improv and create communities, cultures, and personalities as I go, he creates entire worlds ahead of time. Brilliant guy, also apparently nearly at championship-level in Go though he doesn't discuss it much.
>>
>>48762350
I can live with railroad--I hate DMs that don't bother to learn the rules. He's had over a year to learn them, and he still doesn't know all the basics--but insists that "he's a better DM".
>>
>>48762221
What's that, a DM's guild thing?
>>
>>48762328
If you rock 13 Charisma for multi-classing and grab some Wisdom, taking Life Cleric 1 with all of the bard's extra spells is just ridiculous. Heavy armor (so you are free to take Lore Bard and not blow a feat), improved Healing Word (to keep your allies up), Aura of Vitality for sustained healing, and Goodberry when you want cheap but plentiful recovery.
>>
>>48762220

Even then their melee is still going to be sub par and their HP is still going to be lacking by nature of having the lowest hit dice.

>>48762276

Sure, but if you went full Fighter with no Str/Dex? You'd just be a lump.
>>
>>48762189
I'd play that but my go-to hoplite build would become kinda generic.
>>
File: i hate you.png (358KB, 875x775px) Image search: [Google]
i hate you.png
358KB, 875x775px
>group is taking thirty minutes to sneak past a golem because one of the players refuses to go with it because he's bad at stealth
>>
>>48762392
I play as the rules guy for the other DM. When he doesn't know a rule off the top of his head, I can usually supply it and he decides whether he likes it or wants to rule it a different way. Works pretty well considering he picked up the game for DMing after a month with the system!
>>
>>48762406
Nah, published by Necromancer Games back in the 3e era, I think. Its quite nice, if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>48762408
>Goodberry
So many people don't know the win that is Goodberry for a life cleric. Flat 40hp healing per spell(level 1), in chunks of 4.

Also 10 magical meals that nourish you for a day.
>>
>>48759777
That's why you just get dex save spells
>>
>>48762443
>what are group stealth checks
>>
>>48762429
Magic Initiate (Druid) for Shillelagh and Magic Stone actually solves that problem fairly well. Using Wisdom and Constitution as your two main focuses, you can engage in melee just fine using Shillelagh (it is basically as good as going longsword+shield anyway), while you can use your Magic Stones in a sling to engage from range. Still not optimized, but it only takes one feat to put you into a reasonable contributor using your Fighter abilities!
>>
>>48762573
The thing is, they all fucking passed anyway. But they didn't move forward so instead of getting away scott-free we're now fighting it.
>>
>>48762453
Tried that before....he would spend 10 minutes rambling on as to why his ruling is so much better than the one in the book.

It sucks, too. As a player, he's amazing. Always in character, accents, almost always paying attention--unless there's a woman in the room, which means he creeps out completely. The poor guy is 30+, probably never been laid.
>>
>>48762732
That might be part of it, my apprentice ("Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you. Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!") is a university student and so still willing to learn.
>>
File: fat knight.jpg (618KB, 1127x1440px) Image search: [Google]
fat knight.jpg
618KB, 1127x1440px
What are your opinions on only allowing the players attack rolls, saving throws, and physical skill checks, ie, any skill check they want to roll involving Int / Wis / Cha is done by the DM in secret?

I'm looking to starting DMing again and I always think it's awkward when one person wants to roll Perception, rolls shit, and then the DM says "Everything's clear."
>>
>>48763027
Certain rolls, Perception, Investigation, social skills, etc, should be done in secret by the DM. Others, like History, Athletics, Arcana, etc can be done by the players.
>>
>>48763027
This is literally what passive scores are for.
>>
>>48763120

Until the player decides to actively search for something.
>>
>>48763136
Correct!

You receive one (1) internets.
>>
what do you lads think about "taking ten" and that sort of mechanic?

I let my players do it for skills they're proficient in, but it takes a literal 10 in-game minutes to take a 10, so they can't do it under pressure

or should I just not bother to make them roll or have to take a ten in a situation like that?
>>
>>48763224
Check "Multiple Ability Checks" on DMG pg. 237.
>>
>>48763224

I typically don't make the player roll if there isn't a chance for failure.
If they have all the time in the world, fuck it, you pass.
If a wicked motherfucker is barreling down the hallway and you need to making a check with your Thieves' Tools to open the door?
ROLL THE DICE!
>>
What is the best class if I want to throw the most projectiles per round?
>>
>>48763331
Fighter. Battlemaster would be fun. Maybe EK if your DM would let you brew up some fun "projectile explosion" spells.
>>
>Polearm master applies to Quarterstaffs but not Spears
???

Is it because of Thrown? Are they really worried about that?
>tfw can't get a Glaive/Halberd/Pike on a Monk, Polearm Master, and run around like a spaz, ending turns outside enemy reach so they have to take opportunity attacks to hit you
>>
>>48763408

...Holy shit, I can't believe I've never realized spears aren't included in Polearm Mastery.

Any DM worth his penis would allow you to include it in.
>>
>>48763085
Players stealth checks are the main thing the DM should be rolling for.
>>
>Party is walking in the wood
>Sees a halfling woman sitting on a rock, playing a lute and singing
>stops as the party draws near, points right at one of the PCs
>"That one! The doll within flesh! It stinks of Aboleth and plague!"

How does your character/party react?
>>
File: when will they ever learn.jpg (33KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
when will they ever learn.jpg
33KB, 300x240px
>>48763908

Smite.
>>
>>48763908

Gm, so the party:

Chucklehead 1: "I attack."
Chucklehead 2: "Wait, we can cast hold person and interrogate it."
Chucklehead 1: "EIGHTEEEN WAGH!"
Chucklehead 3: "Wait, what? Is it my turn? What's going on?"
>>
>>48763908
Monk, Rogue: Attempted stealthing in bushes/trees immediately.
Fighter: Immense urge to run in and attack things.
'Cleric': Likely the one being pointed at. Busy being an apathetic fuck.
Wizard: Immediately trying to enlarge or reduce things.
>>
>>48759009
>but not the spirit of it
That's a bit rich given that the entire premise is to abuse it.
The spirit of the law in this case is honestly just a stern, mildly disappointed frown from your DM.
>>
>>48763908

Bard: "Hello young woman! I'm Bardanon from house Bardanon's House. Would you care to expound on what you mean?"

Ranger: "What do you mean, witch? Speak up, or we'll cut you down now."

Barbarian: Pushing his brother the ranger out of the way "I pull out Lagertha (his sword), I rage. I frenzied rage. I attack."

Rogue: "Are there any trees nearby? I dash to the three and climb up to get a good vantage point."

Sorcerer: I cast Lightning Bolt. Do I wild magic?
>>
>>48764269
>frenzy barbarian
The poor sod.
>>
File: Speak with Plants.jpg (67KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
Speak with Plants.jpg
67KB, 600x455px
>>48758522
How can I best handle Speak with Plants? How do you guys do it?

I have a druid that is using the spell and likely to continue. How do you guys handle the descriptive part of the spell? How do the plants talk? Voice? Describe things from their perspective?

I don't want to just give answers to questions, I'd like to RP this a bit but am a bit lost on what might be some good techniques.
>>
File: 10-2-2010-lich2.jpg (253KB, 1000x1127px) Image search: [Google]
10-2-2010-lich2.jpg
253KB, 1000x1127px
So /5eg/ I'm stumped and need some help. I've always loved necromancers and always wanted to play one but every time I attempt to or I ask the GM if I can they always give me a laundry list of why I can't play it. And some of the most common complaints are

1. "Permanent minions are OP"
2. "You can't have that many minions"
3. Parade of skeletons means everyone will try to kill me.

Now number 3 isn't much of a problem if I leave them somewhere before heading into town or disguising them(unless the GM makes detect magic at the gate common), but both 1 and 2 are the whole point of necromancers.

I'm stumped in regards to problems 1 and 2, as I've tried multiple times on my own to come up with homebrew ideas on how to allow having 3 or 4 minions be as equally powerful mechanically as 20 skeletons to avoid the numbers issue. Changing the permanent minion thing feels like it'd straight up gimp the whole point of being a necromancer, what's the point in summoning temporary minions when I could just fireball instead?

Anyone have any ideas? The best idea I've come up with for solving number 2 was removing the restrictions on animate dead-ees(human/medium or small) and instead of having four CR 1/4s you could raise a single CR 1 creature. The problem comes down to why would I ever not want to have four skellies hitting for 1d6+2+prof over a CR 1(zombie black bear for example) hitting for 1d6+2+prof and 2d4+2+prof at 5th level(for example)?
>>
>>48764315
>>48764315
Ehhh, he's a good guy and has been MVP of the night more often than not. Being nigh unkillable and having an eye / mind for tactics gets you far.
>>
>>48764439
1. true
2. true
3. true

Therefore, get over it.
>>
So im running CoS in an hour. My party just got to the lake and saved the girl, Arabelle. What the fuck are they supposed to do with her? How is she an ally? This is something I dont understand and the books dont have anything else to give when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Thoughts/ideas?
>>
>>48764689
Arabelle is the missing daughter of the leader of the Vistani camp near Vallaki. If they take her there, they'll ignore Fiona Wachter putting out a hit on the party and give them one of the camp's treasures (worth about 600gp). Anything more than that is on you to come up with as a DM.
>>
>>48758973
Make dual concentration situational instead.

For instance, I gave my bard a magic song that has different effects in different moon phases. For 2 days a month, he can spend a use of bardic inspiration and his bonus action to play a song that allows him or another party member to concentrate on illusion, enchantment, or transmutation song for free for a few rounds, as long as he is playing.

It's really limited but my bard player was still super stoked about it and uses it at every opportunity.

Double concentration is very strong.
>>
>>48764720
ah, i see. damn, cant believe i missed that. Thanks a lot anon.
>>
>>48764439
D&D is not a game about having a small army of minions. 3.5e leadership worked with certain campaign types but i feel it's not really with the spirit of the game. Permanent minions are either OP or your character himself needs to be weaker than the rest and rely on them.
>>
>>48764428
I would handle normal plants as very objective beings. They care very little about subjective or emotional things, and would act/talk very much like heartless androids that obey you.

They have no proper senses, but they have the wisdom to make up for it and in communication with one another can typically give you the good sense of things that have been happening around them. They put together all the pressures exerted and can roughly determine the weight and nature of things passing through.

Plant monsters are likely to be dumb, primal and hungry but easy to fool and give trust easily in return for food. Of course, depends on the plant monster.
Some plant monsters might just want to be left alone, for example.
>>
>>48764958
I actually agree that having a small army just isn't what D&D or even 5e is about, but it just seems so shitty to have an archetype based around literally that. Honestly after spending a few hours sitting down and trying to think of fixes I've come to a pretty simple conclusion.

That the necromancer archetype should've never been given to Wizards and instead should've been a Sorcerer origin. With a bit of tweaking it'd fit nice and balanced into it what with the limited spell slots.
>>
>>48764439
1. Especially true in 5e due to the way action economy works. Most attempts at having companions require the user to actually use actions in order to utilitize their companions.
2. Having to account for a fuckton of minions is a massive pain as the DM. Sure, they could group together stats, but... Really.
3. Yes, you could get around this. However, in many campaigns, it could massively derail everything. You'll have to keep going off away from the party to hide your skeletons while everyone else is in on the action. Innocents being attacked by an undead army? You're now throwing more skeletons into the mix and "the situation has only been made worse by the addition of yet more bees".

You have to find the right campaign type to solve 3.
You have to find a DM who's willing to think up a system to handle many minions for 2.
You have to have a proper system to account for 1. somehow before the DM goes 'Okay, you know what, this is just too much hassle. Why don't you play a fighter?'
>>
>>48765051
It's not a 'necromancer' archetype. It's a 'necromancy' archetype. It pertains to the spells that are included in the school of necromancy, which is a lot more than being the smelly faggot that walks around with a skeleton all the time.

Read your spell list, nigga.
>>
>>48765066
That's pretty much what it seems to be boiling down to.

>>48765159
Tomato, tomahto. Let's be real here about 60% of all the necromancy spells involve raising undead, the other 40% are curses and debuffs. And the necromancy tradition puts a heavy emphasis on creating undead or controlling them.
>>
>>48765253
>about 60% of all the necromancy spells involve raising undead
- Animate Dead
- Create Undead
- Finger of Death

Of 29 necromancy spells total, so it's more like 10%.
>>
>>48765372
Alright you got me there.
>>
Okay, so I was just invited as the only guy with experience to a game of first timers.
Normally this is fine, but the rules are no EE, SCAG, or UA at all.
You're only allowed to use PHB stuff.
Should I be a fag and RAW Water Whip?
Should I just be a boring open palm monk?
Should I be a spoony bard?
As the guy who needs to pretty much set the guideline for the party, the pressure is on. We start at level 1, and I'm not sure multiclassing is allowed either.
What's a good class concept to lead a team for?
>>
>>48765492
Spoony Bard or Paladin for sure. Monk doesn't strike me as a good example character, unless you can get your party to be monks, rogues, and bards entirely.
>>
>>48765492
I think you might do the spoony bard or something else with more utility than damage, like a low martial cleric or some other buff caster.

It's important to kind of lead by example and show the new guys they can try to do whatever and be important. Like, ask what they want to do and try not to just outright steal the spotlight.
>>
>>48765492
Paladins certainly make good team leaders with a bunch of party buffs and the like along with charisma, and they can demonstrate spellcasting to a minor extent. Lawful good paladin to keep everyone's edginess in check.
>>
>>48765492
Support bard or group leader paladin.

If you're the only one with experience, you're gonna have to be the handyman and fix their mistakes.
>>
>>48765705
God wizard too. Work behind the party to empower them and note down exactly how your actions worked to set up your allies. When any of the newbies show interest in how you are playing or claim you aren't doing anything, you have your examples right there about how you used those spells to secure victory or prevent defeat. By doing so, you teach them that there is more to the battles than DPR and obvious effects, and that even the most unassuming can leverage their particular abilities to further the party.
>>
>>48765951
Honestly I think even total newbies would immediately figure out what you're doing and be grateful.
>>
>>48764439
The necromancer is damned forever to being a weird subclass that just doesn't play well. Really you should only use skeletons as a utility within a dungeon for reinforcements when you wipe a big wave of enemies and more show up. Why they decided to make them raise so slowly and last permanently is beyond me. Create Undead is even more baffling.
>>
>>48766144
You might be surprised. I did a slicer for Star Wars who went around hacking everything so the party fought with technology on their side (reprogramming assassin droids, turning security systems against their owners, etc.). They didn't finally get why I did that instead of picking up a gun until I bypassed a capital ship's defenses by sealing the rooms and evacuating the oxygen. Party went a little a-gasp when they realized I instantly went from no kills to more than the rest of the party combined... Not D&D, but a similar situation where support and control are under-appreciated until it is incredibly obvious.
>>
>>48766727
A lot of people overlook creative use of abilities in general. Even fighters can do interesting things if they remain aware of their environment.
>>
Which school has the rarest scrools to copy onto your book?

We ran across a huge session in which one of the major rewards was a magic book that we could fill with a whole bunch of spells from level 1 through five of any one wizard school of our choice, but because it was so late, the DM let us pick tomorrow what the spells were going to be
>>
File: camel blue.jpg (49KB, 330x479px) Image search: [Google]
camel blue.jpg
49KB, 330x479px
>>48766825
Choppin down trees, stabbin dudes with tent poles, runnin fast, liftin heavy things, etc.
>>
>>48767057
Go for necromancy for revivify.
>>
>join new group a week ago
>on the day we're supposed to have our first session, one player bows out and the DM can't get a replacement. >Reschedule to play tomorrow, Saturday night
>just found out that I can't make it, have to tell GM I can't play not even a day before we're supposed to play

I feel pretty bad, senpai
>>
>>48767278
This is why if the group reschedules I stress that I may not be able to make it even if I'm likely to be free. Means that the DM takes into account the chance that I may not be there, and when I do turn up it looks like I've blown something off or otherwise went out of my way to get there, which gets me GBP with the DM.
>>
>>48767220
revivify is conjuration
>>
Someone posted a ranger rewrite a week ago or so; can someone reup? I apparently didn't save it.
>>
>>48767383
Check the errata.
>>
>>48763908
>CoS game
OC: "Was this really in the book, or do you enjoy this?"

<silence>

OC: "If one of us is an aboleth, I'm downloading the book and reading it."

IC: "So... Um... How did a girl like you end up in a place like this?"
>>
>>48766825
I have always felt that Fighters should make use of their vast numbers of attacks by making maneuvers like Disarm from the DMG. Rather than just devoting an action to doing something, explain to the DM how you are doing it as an attack so you get to use your extras...
>>
Are there any greatsword-related feats, and are any worth taking?
>>
>>48767524
Battlemaster. Battlemaster is what you're talking about.
>>
>>48767526
Great Weapon Master gives absurd damage output gains.
>>
>>48767526
Great Weapon Master is one of the better feats in the game.
>>
>>48767526
if you're gonna use a great weapon (2h heavy weapon including the greataxe, greatsword, maul) then Great Weapon Master is nuts.
>>
>>48767534
No, Battlemaster is about combining those abilities into their attacks. Like anyone can Disarm, but only the Battlemaster can do it while also stabbing the person and actually dealing more damage while doing so. Anyone can use the Help action to give advantage to an attack, but the Battlemaster does so while attacking the person and also dealing more damage. Anyone can Shove a target prone, but only the Battlemaster gets to do it while attacking and dealing more damage (I'm sensing a pattern...).

Basically, Battlemaster maneuvers aren't unique in what they can do (well, some like Riposte are), but in that they get to do so without giving up the attacks and inflict saves rather than checks.
>>
>>48767526
Just in case no one has mentioned it yet, Great Weapon Master is incredible.
>>
>>48767625
Yeah. It's kinda like Tavern Brawler where you just get more opportunities to grapple, without actually granting a bonus to doing it.
>>
>>48767659
Exactly. The Battlemaster can do everything others would do with those improvised attacks, but he can also do more. In fact, BMs and Champions are the people I would most envision doing this, either analyzing and reacting to the situation or just doing what looks cool as Champions are wont to do.
>>
>>48767526
There is a Blade mastery feat in UA:Feats, good for rogues that stack OAs feats and fighters.
>>
>>48767858
Especially a good feat for those who don't want to go with shields. Too bad my GM won't let me use it.
>>
First time DM here.

We're starting at level 1, and I'm a bit unsure as to how much the party can take before they need to rest. So far, the first dungeon is:
>Needle Blights x 4
>Skeleton x 4
>Skeleton x 4
>Hobgoblin x2
>Bugbear x 1
>Scarecrow x 1

All of these have pauses between them to allow for short rests. Is that too difficult?
>>
>>48765492
I've learned the hard way, never go full support if you're surrounded by newbies. Also, don't be a hog rolling all the skills, newbies love rolling skills, be the one who assists with Guidance and Help to give them advantage or the take the skills that are needed but no one wants to take; like knowledge, medicine or tools.

Hunter Ranger, Moon Druid or Thief Rogue. Be a scouting character that can do some serious work.
>>
>>48768004
I usually put more sentient enemies in early encounters so I can make them retreat if the dice aren't kind.
>>
File: 1422235898622.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1422235898622.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
>>48768004
>hobgoblins
>18 AC
>1d8+1+2d6
>level 1

You're a sicko.
>>
Anyone here play Thule? How did you like it?
>>
>>48768131
Maybe just one, then? So that he can't get the damage bonus.

Anything else that you'd recommend? I tried to avoid doing typical Goblins and Kobolds. I was also thinking about making a room full of Cultists instead because the dungeon is sort of an abandoned cult site where evil magic went wrong and fucked up everybody.
>>
>>48768222
My players are afraid of kobolds and their dirty tricks. They're terrifying when they find head bands of intellect, go full ape escape, and start brewing up vast amounts of alchemist's fire.

Put a sleeping Shambling Mound at the party, favorite lowbie boss after I DM'd Death House. They'll learn the value of moving and hitting between attacks.
>>
>>48768222
desu, I would just put 4 Goblins to replace the Hobgoblins. After killing all those monsters though be sure to boost them to lvl 2.
>>
>>48759009
>and why you can't just rob another wizard's spell book and cast it from his directly.

who says
>>
>>48769176
114 of the PHB. "Your spellbook"
>>
If someone had War Caster and Booming Blade, could they booming blade an enemy that had triggered AoO?

What would happen if that were to be allowed? would the enemy just take that BB damage right away, since they got hit while running?
>>
>>48769614
Yes, they could Booming Blade with that OA.

As for what happens, I think they just eat the cantrip's damage.

There is some room for ruling that they could finish their move right after they take the opportunity attack, so they're still within your reach, or they could continue and eat the damage. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/war-caster-hitting-with-booming-blade/ is the only Sage Advice on it and it's not all that clear.
>>
>>48763908
>barb/champ half orc will claim she was pointing at him and insist he had aboleth for dinner recently
>druid elf and rogue/fighter/wizard thing will probably try to have an in - depth conversation with her about aboleth and puppets and definitions and blah blah
>hermit monk will think he's probably the aboleth because he's insane and already a werewolf
>>
>>48769614
>>48769654
It takes damage if it keeps moving after being hit. It doesn't seem unclear to me. But then again I played 4e and this was a bread and butter defender tactic
>>
>>48763908
>What's an Aboleth?
>>
>>48769279
Fair enough
>>
File: 1463014195233.jpg (53KB, 497x703px) Image search: [Google]
1463014195233.jpg
53KB, 497x703px
>tfw entire group is so distracted that I can't even get through a sentence without being interrupted
>the fighter keeps on asking me to repeat myself and halfway through begins talking to the guy next to him
God, I feel like roping after that session. I'm aware that I'm not a god-tier dm or anything but it just feels fuckin awful to be ignored when they ask you to dm for them
At least I know I won't dm for that group again
Obligatory "sorry for blogpost"
>>
>>48770357
Don't be afraid to clap loudly and ask for attention
>>
>>48770369
Yeah, I'm aware, but that only gets their attention for one second.
It even got to the point where I started speaking hella loud and they ignored me and kept talking anyways
It felt like I was herding preschoolers to focus, which wasn't fun, so eventually said "take 5" and just never bothered to resume
>>
>>48770409
Fair enough. If they don't want to play then they shouldn't be there
>>
>>48770357
>>48770409
What are they talking about, exactly?

If they're just talking about pointless nonsense, calmly but bluntly ask them if they're here to play D&D or to spend all night chatting about other stuff. If they make a big deal about it or tell you to stop being so serious, ditch 'em.
>>
>>48770459
>>48770454
Yeah, I was considering just asking them straight out if they wanted to play serious or not, considering they wanted me to dm, but I decided against bringing up unnecessary social tension since the answer was clear.
>>48770459
Mostly pointless shit, yeah. The fighter I mentioned earlier suprised us as a world-class lightweight, and passed out after two beers.
I don't know if he was on meds or something but I've never seen anything like it before
>>
File: frank1.png (23KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
frank1.png
23KB, 112x112px
How should I run Castle Ravenloft, assuming the party is invited?

The party have had a few run-ins with Strahd already.

I'm spoilering this in case any of you fags are in this thread reading it. Don't read the spoilers and ruin the climax of the game for yourselves retards.

I was thinking of having the party be ushered into a dining hall for a meal with Strahd.
The party will be suspicious as fuck and will probably refuse to eat, maybe even attack Strahd. If they attack him, it'll be revealed that its an illusion. Strahd will disappear with a laugh and a puff of smoke, and then the illusion on the rest of the room will lift, revealing the food as mouldy and rotten, the wine as blood, and the servants as vampire spawn that will attack.

Party is now trapped in the Castle, commence exploration.

If the party shits their ass in fear and attempt to flee after a while, Strahd will let them go, and be content that he broke their spirits.

Thoughts?
>>
>>48770554
Do they have reason to go there?
>>
>>48770577

It's nearing the end of the campaign. They're about to explore the Amber Temple, but already Strahd has successfully taken Ireena and turned her, and recently managed to steal the Sun Sword from them.

Most of them are pissed at him for stealing their cool shit, so yeah they have a reason to go there.
>>
>>48770554
I'm pretty sure that's literally how the book says to introduce Ravenloft.

>go in castle
>Rahadin meets you
>takes you to dining room and fucks off
>Strahd talks openly with you
>then disappears
>welcome to Castle Ravenloft, prepare to dungeon crawl

Also there's plenty stopping them from leaving the castle once they're in, see the foyer and entrance hall.
>>
>>48770599
>stole sunsword

kek if they fight him without that they are fucked
>>
>>48770602
Ah, I just re-read the Ravenloft sections and you're right.

I guess my idea was just my brain remembering what I read.
Thanks brain.

>>48770631
They sure are. They'll be able to get it back though, its hidden in Ravenloft. I'll probably put it in Sergei's crypt.
>>
How aware of events in Barovia is Strahd? Do the various enemies of Strahd that hide do so out of stealth, or Strahd's amusement and arrogance? Does he always know where the party is, or does he have to track them somehow?
>>
>>48770738
He has to track them. He does know Scrying, though.

He has a vast network of spies (mostly Vistani) that relay information to him.

He isn't omniscient, he doesn't know about the Order of the Raven, or about Van Richten.
The book even mentions if Strahd learns Van Richten is in Barovia, his number 1 priority becomes finding and killing him.,
>>
Just got a summon mount spell for my Vengeance Pally what Mount should I aim for discuss with my DM about?
>>
>>48770902
Nothing says vengeance like a giraffe.
>>
>>48764958
>>48765051
You're both dumb: growing into a King was how the fighter kept up with the casters in the older editions. Having minions and retainers is a fundamental part of DnD.
>>
>>48770902
Hippogriff!
>>
Curse of Strahd spoilers, DM input/help required.

The amber temple in CoS has a non-hostile lich who has lost his memories and forgotten his spells, and Greater Restoration is required to return them.
If you do, he's helpful and provides information.

Problem is nobody in the group is a cleric, so they don't have access to the spell. Should i give an alternate way to help the lich?
Perhaps move his spellbook to somewhere else in the temple, and returning it also returns his memory?
A greater restoration spell scroll tucked away in the great library? Or should I just not bother since my players don't have the key for this particular puzzle.
>>
>>48771016
Aren't they OP?
>>
Has /tg/ ever done a large scale Roll 20 Game with loads of PC and multiple DM's where you can just drop in and explore regions controlled by different DM's?
>>
>>48771144

That sounds like hot garbage.
>>
>>48771144
Not that I know of. It sounds KINDA interesting I guess?
But also like a fucking logistical nightmare.
>>
>>48771144
/tg/? No, because /tg/ doesn't do shit.

There are "living world" campaigns on Roll20, but they are hot garbage.
>>
>>48771163
Couldn't we all just all agree a standard system and then get some decent DM's who all run their own regions.
>>
>>48771017
I peppered the adventure beforehand scrolls and restoration charms
>>
>>48763027
I've started doing perception and stealth hidden from the players, investigation is almost never used but I'd probably do the same there. For knowledge I don't allow multiple rolls anyway so it's fine I think. Players like to roll, so taking away most of the rolls in the game wouldn't be great I think. You could even justify rolling damage secretly and just describe the effect to them, almost anything can be metagamed because, well, it's a game.
>>
>>48771017
Maybe you could insert a "sole survivor" NPC that was brought to the land or something. They should have to work for that ability, though. Technically Greater Restoration could cure the Abbot, which would be OP as shit. Fuck the Sunsword at that point.

>>48771318
That's fucking lame. What is this Baldur's Gate?
>Here be dee free loots DURR

At least put some thought into the bullshit.
>>
>>48771540
Well, either you have a 9th+ Cleric (and the adventure goes only to 10) or you miss out on a lot of neat things
>>
>>48771561
You're only supposed to be able to use GR on an NPC if you're lucky anyway. Those are just cool easter egg rewards.
>>
>>48771734
So either your players backtrack around Barovia curing furries and amnesiacs before fighting Strahd OR the use treasure they earned to help people and unlock more of the adventure while they play

hmm
>>
I was looking at the map of the sword coast in the trove, mostly out o curiosity, and noticed that athkatla is not there

what the fuck happened to it? I can't find any mention of it in the adventurers guide, the blurb about amn just says that they're the same as always (rich, ambiguously arabic, and evil).
>>
>>48772098
Only curing the Lich unlocks anything (Unless a PC got the Mordenkainen-relevant card). And even then it's just loot and other bullshit they don't need and definitely don't deserve if they just popped a scroll handed to them by the DM.

>>48772118
Lots of interesting places just aren't on there. No idea why. The map is fucking useless.
>>
>>48771144
Yes. It's this cool guy named Chris Perkins who has a bunch of modules and adventures through this Forgotten Realms campaign so there can be tons of PCs and DMs to guide them through his game.

Christ. Why do people look for this shit.
>>
>>48772118
Maybe they just wanted to lower the clutter. There aren't that many places on the map anyway, if it's the map I'm thinking about.

>they're the same as always (rich, ambiguously arabic, and evil)

Wasn't Calimshan the Arabic/Ottoman one, not counting the not-Arabic countries east of the Sea of Fallen Stars (Semphar and that other one) and Zakhara? I've always gotten the Italian merchant republic vibe from Amn, along with a dose of Spain, what with Maztica and all.

But then again, I'd love to see updates of The Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea. They're near the top of my all-time favourite AD&D stuff along with the Waterdeep and the Tuigan Horde boxes. I just want the Cowled Wizards to be a group of mages (of all alignment) driven underground by the mage-hatin' Amnians, not the fucking enforcers of Athkatla's anti-mage laws they became in BG2.
>>
>>48771017
I put a bunch of shit into Barovia that strings the locations together, adding a greater restoration scroll or whatever is not a big deal - especially tucking it in Ravenloft or using it as treasure the party finds.
>>
>>48772168
>>48772183
>Lots of interesting places just aren't on there. No idea why. The map is fucking useless.
>Maybe they just wanted to lower the clutter
I like having less clutter on the map, we didn't need 900 villages between every major town even if that was realistic, but Athkatla was fucking important, it's the capital of Amn! Not to mention an iconic city thanks to BG2 shadows of amn

>Wasn't Calimshan the Arabic/Ottoman one
I don't know why but I always got an arabic vibe from Amn. Maybe It's baseless.
>>
>>48759802
They have the lowest DPR among all the martials.
So even rogues are better at dealing out damage better than a class that dedicates it self to martial combat.
That's why people bitch about them.

What they need is first of all a scaling ''to hit bonus'' for their unarmed strikes.

This can be achieved by simply adding this line to the ''Ki enhanced strikes'' feature that currently only grants you the ability to ignore magic resistances with unarmed strikes.

''You gain a +X to hit bonus to your unarmed strikes equal to a quarter of your monk level rounded down.''

And finaly they need either of the following:

Learning 2 cantrips and 1 lvl 1 spell from the Wizards list as part of the Ki feature.
Recharge lvl 1 spell slot on short rests.

OR

''Extra attack 2'' at arround level 14.
>>
>>48772244
I don't even think Baldur's Gate was on the map you're referring to.

>I don't know why but I always got an arabic vibe from Amn. Maybe It's baseless.
Amn is like North Italy and Calimshan is like the Moorish Spain/Turkeyland/Arabia Lite iirc. There's definitely some Arabian Nights supplement they released that took place in a continent south of Calimshan that belonged to people who invaded the Southwest part of Faerun.
>>
>>48759802
Dual Wielder (Modified)
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
- You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
- You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
- You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
- When you hit a creature with with the weapon held in your main hand or an unarmed strike (using the attack action), your offhand weapon attack or an unarmed strike from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows deals an extra 1d10 damage.
>>
>>48772401
>Baldur's Gate

Nah, baldur's gate is in
Amn is the only really weird thing. It has like 2 cities

The map I'm looking at is this one
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/map-faer%C3%BCn
straight from wotc site
>>
>>48772244
I've always pegged Amn as the Italian merchant cities writ large - ostensibly a republic, keen on making a pile of gold whilst ensuring everyone else got less, decent navy. Throw in a bit of Spain for Maztica as well.

Tethyr had actually a fair bit of Arabic/Calishite influnce, due to being first founded by Calimshan in ye olde days and then having the capital occupied in the 1300s.

Of the rest: Calimshan is the Ottoman Empire with serial numbers filed off, Semphar is the Baghdad-and-environs Arabia, and Zakhara is the genies and flying carpets 1,001 Nights Arabia.

>>48772401
>Arabian Nights supplement they released that took place in a continent south of Calimshan

That would be the Lands of Fate box, describing Zakhara, and it's not half bad.
>>
File: deirdre kendrick.jpg (48KB, 306x490px) Image search: [Google]
deirdre kendrick.jpg
48KB, 306x490px
>>48772452
That's the map I was thinking of. WotC may have had some strange priorities there, since it's the "adventure friendly" places that are marked - the look at the Savage Frontier since everyone knows Drizzt's stomping grounds. Then there's Baldur's Gate since people know it from the BG games (although Beregost is missing).

But I can't for the life of me understand why the Moonshaes are so detailed (I like the Moonshaes but I don't think there's been a supplement or even a story set there after the books where Deirdre Kendrick became an unsettlingly sexy wizard/cleric). Suzail's missing, with only Swampy Shithole City representing entire Cormyr. Not one Dalelands town is around, not even iconic Shadowdale, and Phlan is absent as well.

Well, at least the map's "uncompressed" from the 3E version where an entire nation disappeared because the artist was told to make the Realms smaller.
>>
And shit, meant to reply to >>48772435
>>
>>48772552
The map is kinda weird

maybe all those places blew up with the spellplague in 4e? I haven't looked at the 4e version of the realms anyway
>>
File: oneillcylinder5.png (765KB, 880x550px) Image search: [Google]
oneillcylinder5.png
765KB, 880x550px
>>48761480
Generic medieval fantasy world.
Except the whole thing actually takes place in an ancient space colony that no one understands they're in.

It's now falling apart.
The climate control system keeps fucking up.
One of the giant display panels overhead that projects "the sky" breaks.
The subterranean monster factories are on the fritz and pumping out shit they really shouldn't.
Aliens attack.
Repair robots finally have to come out of hiding to fix shit in the open.
The whole thing is flying into the sun and the guidance computer won't accept commands from the AI; it will only accept manual input from a human.
>>
>>48761480
prehistoric with mindflayer/far realm overlords
>>
>>48763085
>>48763027
When a character/player should have no reasonable feedback about their success or failure at an action (searching for something and rolling a 2; they know something might be there and they just didn't roll high enough to find it, clearly) have them throw their die into a bucket.

They still get the agency of having rolled themselves, but the result is hidden from them.
>>
>>48761480
I'd bring back mystara/known world from basic

no I don't care that's not an original campaign setting, I just want mystara back dammit
>>
File: hollowworld.jpg (3MB, 1362x1706px) Image search: [Google]
hollowworld.jpg
3MB, 1362x1706px
>>48772749
My fellow Immortal.
>>
>>48772705
Giant ringworld.

I've always wanted to make a giant ringworld setting, in which the sunward side of the ringworld was inhabited.

A permanently temperate world that stretched outwards in one direction, curving upwards until it disappeared behind the sun.

The pattern of night and day was visible on the curve of the world, the sun seeming to vanish completely when night came to where you were, and the sections of the world in day were brightly visible.

The world had an end, of course. Two ends. It was said(correctly) that to step off the world was to fall forever.

The depths of the world are strange, metallic, filled with creatures just as strange and metallic themselves.
>>
>>48772654
Nope, they are all in the 4E map, Athkatla included. And I don't think they vanished in that giant un-fuckening of the Realms during the shift to 5E either. From what I remember, Abeir buggered off and Maztica came back, the giant rift in the Shaar is gone and everything back to grassy plains and the small rift where the gold dwarves live, Chult and the peninsula it was on the end of is possibly back, and I think the sunken countries southwest of Raurin are likewise. Also the halfling land survived as islands, apparently.
>>
>>48770494

maybe it was the alcohol. they just were drunk and couldn't focus.

might have more luck sober.
>>
>>48772893
what the fuck is going on with that map then? The guy designing it got drunk or something?

wait
maybe they'll released a "DM guide" version and it will include everything and that one is just the players version?
>>
>>48772906
I've never understood why anyone would want to play a ttrpg while drinking.

Let's play a game that's entirely about making decisions, while drinking shit that impairs our decision-making!
>>
>>48772951
It's a social game, and alcohol can be a social grease
>>
>>48772654
>>48772943
Pic related is 1479 (post-spellplague)
5e FR material starts in 1489.

>why SCAG map shit
No idea pal.
>>
>>48772951
i can understand a beer or two, drinking can be a social thing just to relax or whatever.

getting piss drunk is a terrible idea though, happened to our barb funnily enough and he was so out of it for the rest of the session
>>
>>48772983
>>48772951

I might do it in a one shot that was just shits and giggles but if it was a dedicated campaign I'd try to keep to a buzz or slightly tipsy.
>>
>>48772951
Yeah we should shoot up oxy into a fresh tattoo of rosebush thorns like the WoD larpers
>>
>>48772272

I think they could use some kind of mechanical bonus ability at those levels they get nothing but fluff (you can speak every language and age slow or something).
>>
>>48773075
Don't compare ttrpg to larpers.

Larpers are the faggots of the rpg world.
>>
>>48772951
People drink to be brave, it makes sense to drink for a game where you have to be brave
>>
>>48773100
Good joke I laughed super hard.
jk
>>
>>48773098
That's why giving them the ''Extra attack 2'' feature is the best choice at those levels.

This combined with the ''Ki enhanced strikes'' alteration written in the post you replied to is enough to bring them up enough without breaking them.
>>
Any experience with alternate resource tracking rules? I'm thinking of stealing the usage die from The Black Hack and using those, where you roll a die whenever you use a resource like ammo and decrease the die size every time you roll a 1-2 on the die.
>>
I'm building a fiendish chainlock, but I have some questions. Since most of my damage will rely on EB/Hex/Agonizing, is it safe to say that most of my other spells and invocations should be spent on out-of-combat utility more than additional damage and battle spells?
>>
>>48774722

An AOE or two wouldn't hurt but you have so few spell slots anyways I think it's probably safe to focus on your utility abilities.
>>
I have a quick question. What skill do you guys use for appraising? My group usually uses Insight or Perception, but we aren't 100% sure which one should be the norm.
>>
>>48758522
Pathfinder in decline?
>>
>>48775985
Usually I just tell them how much it's worth out of laziness.

But it would be covered by Intelligence, potentially with a skill applied based on the nature of the object (history for artifacts, arcana for magic-related stuff, nature for rare herbs and skins, etc.).
>>
>>48776024
As it has been for the last year and a half or so.
>>
>>48775985
I typically use Intelligence rolls. If they're appraising jewels, then they can add proficiency bonus if they use jewelers tools (and are proficient in their use). For other stuff,
>>48776031
>(history for artifacts, arcana for magic-related stuff, nature for rare herbs and skins, etc.).
This, generally.
>>
>>48776031

It's all history

History for social history
Religion for religious history
Nature for natural history
Arcana for magical history
>>
>>48776276
Using a variant rule, you can also reapply proficiencies to other base attributes
Int(Medicine) for medical items (For items like potions, arcana might be used too)
Int(Tinkers' Tools) for mechanical items (history might also apply)
Int(Smithing) for history of such things (history, again, might apply)

I feel it's important to appreciate things like this. A person with proficiency in smithing tools should have the right to use their proficiency when identifying something such as a smithing method (Perhaps they might be able to recognize a famous smith who inspired many generations, who had a habit of making magical items)
>>
So in Pota if my party gets to a boss room and they haven't killed the other prophets they don't fight the prince?
>>
File: 1391438013499.jpg (162KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1391438013499.jpg
162KB, 640x480px
>when a guy goes for a risky shot right past many people
>rolls a 1
>DM just says 'miss' and carries on
Why not just play 4e if you want to play an MMORPG?
>>
>>48776793
>line of sight issues for missile weapons created by medium-sized enemies/allies in FIVE FOOT SQUARES
>critical fumble roolz
stop
>>
>>48776793
Rules for hitting cover are in the DMG.
>>
File: 1469983756209.gif (2MB, 181x292px) Image search: [Google]
1469983756209.gif
2MB, 181x292px
>>48776793
>player: i walk out the subway
>dm: roll walk check
>player: *rolls 1*
>dm: lol
>>
>>48776793
Where in the rules does it say a nat 1 is anything other than an automatic miss?
>>
>>48777137
I think he was more meaning that it is the perfect opportunity to illustrate why in a living world, firing into a crowd of innocents is a very bad idea.
>>
>>48761480
A low-magic fantasy Middle Ages Europe stumbles upon a continent full of Eberron-like buildings and tech level, only in total ruin and decay, with there being a mad rush now to colonize, discover, reverse-engineer, and weaponize these lost artifacts/technologies.
>>
>>48777086
>implying walking is anything like trying to quickly shoot in the middle of combat past several people to a specific target while doing other things and staying aware of your surroundings

>>48776855
They're pretty shitty in some ways
>attacking a guy with 20 AC, covered by a guy with 10 AC
>massive chance of hidding the wrong guy
>attacking a guy with 10 AC, covered by a guy with 20 AC
>you can never hit the guy with 20 AC
>there are cases where rolling higher would turn a complete miss into 'hitting your teammate'

I would prefer a system more like 'if the attack misses by 1 or 2, reroll the attack against the AC of the other target' or 'if you roll a 1, reroll against the AC of the other target'.
The main problem with this is it means more rolls, with 5e normally tries to avoid.

>>48777137
This is what I mean by 'why not play something like 4e if you're not going to put any dynamic realism into the game and turn it into a simple roll numbers, get result MMORPG?'
It does not have to be.
But when DMs decide 'well, you failed as hard as you can at a really risky task, but nothing bad happens' it kind of disappoints me.
>>
File: jorge-benedito-julius-belmont.jpg (243KB, 1357x1920px) Image search: [Google]
jorge-benedito-julius-belmont.jpg
243KB, 1357x1920px
>>48777352
just have it hit some kid watching the fight and kill him, turning his dad into a recurring villain/protagonist who tries and kills the pcs for revenge.
>>
>>48777352
>you failed as hard as you can at a really risky task, but nothing bad happens
You could argue missing is something bad that happens.
Also, speaking from personal experience, failing to shoot a bow often means your shot falls short rather than wide. And if you do shoot wide, its more likely you'll hit something on the other side of your target than something between you and your target (though with that in mind, turning a nat 1 shot into a cone attack that hits one random target in the cone could be interesting).
>>
New thread >>48777889
>>
File: estinien_nidhogg.png (2MB, 1776x1000px) Image search: [Google]
estinien_nidhogg.png
2MB, 1776x1000px
I'm making a character for Horde of the Dragon Queen, and was going to make a fighter preferably fighting with a spear.

The GM typically withholds all magical weapons, and my character was going to have such a detest for dragons that he'd sell his soul to be able to slay them i.e. warlock levels and weapon pact.

Is fighter/warlock viable? I'm also having trouble thinking of any dragon hating patrons.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.