[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 29

File: 40krpg image.jpg (9KB, 345x146px) Image search: [Google]
40krpg image.jpg
9KB, 345x146px
Forgeworld isn't Canon Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new /tg/ made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus
https://www.mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread
>>48695922
>>
What was the worst thing that's happened to your character so far?

Dying is not the worst thing.
>>
>>48776185
Being put on fire. I think that's going to change come the autumn, when the group hopefully goes back to DH
>>
>>48776185

Getting eaten alive by Kroot, then having the Shaper who ate him wear his face while he interacted with humans.

Was not pretty.
>>
File: 1446053089779.jpg (29KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
1446053089779.jpg
29KB, 500x325px
>>48776185
He was denied his revenge
>>
MEGA Guy has returned from being a lazy asshole!

Now I'm a kinda lazy asshole distracted by streaming.

Post updates, etc, whatever, you're all adults, you know what to do.
>>
>>48776141
Hey. I'm GMing a game of Black Crusade. My (human) Heretics have become powerful enough that I think I may throw a Horde at them.

I realize that Magnitude and number of enemies isn't necessarily 1-to-1, but I'm right in thinking that for unremarkable human enemies (to be precise, 50 members of an unremarkable planets moderately well-trained PDF), ought to roughly have a Magnitude equal to their numbers?
>>
>>48776563
Read up on how magnitude works for hordes then reconsider.
>>
What is your favorite rival or villain you have had to face/have thrown at your players?

Mine is an Ogryn who found a Halo Artefact while working on a mine on the fringe world of Sothra, before it caved in and he was trapped. The artefact made him very intelligent (Well above Average Human, near Genius level) and whispered into his mind, telling him to uplift his species and create a new, powerful Ogryn Empire. After weeks of hunting underground creatures and having his mind mold him and raise his thinking skills, he led a series of ambushes and kidnappings to acquire more Ogryns (who were still dumb, but did what he said because he was bigger), and after three years of raising an army of Ogryns he overthrew the sparsely-populated, decrepit Fortress World government and installed his own. At this point, he began capturing tech-priests and having them forcibly install new implants to the Ogryns, making them more intelligent (as in "slightly-below-average-Human"), while hiring pirates to capture more tech-priests and hire Hereteks to build weapons and brain-implants for his Ogryn brothers.

Eventually, he managed to trade enough with pirates and renegades that he acquired his own ship, and used said ship to raid and plunder nearby systems to build up his world, and the manufactorums and armories began to reactivate under his direction. This attracted the attentions of my RT party, who were sent by the Inquisition to check up on the world and see what was going on.

This Ogryn was full-on Ogryn when it comes to strength and toughness, but also extremely intelligent and with a high Fellowship to command other Ogryns in battle in compex tactics. It was probably the hardest enemy my party ever had to fight.

Will post the stats if anybody wants them.
>>
>>48776583
I own the Black Crusade core book. The Horde rules are two pages. I've read them and reread them, trying to see if there is something more specific that "Magnitude 30 is a mob, Magnitude 60 is a thronging phalanx".

I may be an idiot, I may be missing something significant or something I don't fully understand from the rules. But I'm not getting whatever it is you're trying to suggest.

(I know there are Horde rules in Deathwatch; I know there are Advanced Horde Rules in Tome of Blood. If those would be useful, I'll download the relevant thing. But yeah, I may be dumb, but I'm not getting whatever you're trying to imply.)
>>
>>48776666
I'd like to see them.
>>
Suppose the following:
>Librarian wants to do an opposed willpower check for his spell
>He wins by 5 degree of success
>Enemy wins also, but only by 3 degree of success
>The librarian's spell says "roll 1d10 dmg for each degree of success"

Does the librarian roll 5d10, or 2d10?
>>
>>48776185
Lost both my hands and lungs to 2 ork meganobz ( of the 6) that manged to teleport on the bridge of a Mechanicus Heavy Cruiser running on skeleton crew
>>
>>48776185
Energy burns over 50% of the body, caused by another PC deciding to "help" me in melee by shooting into it; he of course missed and hit the pile of lascannon charge packs that were in the emplacement I was fighting in. Good times.
>>
File: Nork.jpg (260KB, 861x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Nork.jpg
260KB, 861x1087px
>>48776802
Aight. It was very cobbled together, but he was a mean motherfucker.

NAME: Korunval, the Enlightened

WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel Wounds: 42
45 35 55 60 40 45 43 40 31

>Skills:
Command+10, Common Lore (Tech, Imperial Guard, Planet Sothra), Forbidden Lore (Pirates, Psykers, The Warp), Intimidate+10, Schol. Lore (Tactica Imperialis), Secret Tongue (Novus Brotherhood)

>Talents:
Air of Authority, Ambidex., Battle Rage, Berserk Charge, Bulging Biceps, Clumsy+,Combat Formation, Combat Master, Combat Sense, Crushing Blow, Die-Hard, Fearless, Frenzy, Heavy Wep. (Universal), Hardy, Iron Jaw, Jaded, Melee Wep. (Universal), Nerves of Steel, Parry, Rapid Reaction, Resistance (Cold, Heat), True Grit, Two Weapon Wielder
-Clumsy+: Due to the sheer size of their hands, Ogryns cannot wield any ranged weapon that is not Ogryn-Proof.

>Traits:
Size (Hulking), Unnatural Toughness(x2), Unnatural Strength(x2)

>Weapons:
Shoulder-mounted, Best Quality Ogryn Shred-Cannon with MIU interface
(Heavy, 50m, S/-/5, 1d10+12 I, Pen 2, Reload 2 Full, Ogryn-Proof, Scatter, Tearing)

Two Best-Quality Ogryn Mauls
(Melee, 2d10+8, Pen 10, Power Field, Shocking, Unwieldy)

Cont. in new post
>>
File: Kan-Opener.jpg (59KB, 450x552px) Image search: [Google]
Kan-Opener.jpg
59KB, 450x552px
>>48777075
>Armor:
Best-Quality Ogryn Tyrant Armor (Body, Arm, Legs 8) with in-built Vox-Caster and Servo-Assited Armor, Ogryn Command Mask (Head 5) with in-built Preysense Goggles, micro-bead, and Rebreather.

>Gear:
The Diadem++, Refractor Field, Backpack ammo for belt-fed Shred Cannon (500rds), 1 box-mag of Toxic Flechette (50rds), 4 Frag and 4 Krak grenades, human skulls and fetishes

-The Diadem++: The Diadem is what uplifted the menial grunt Urn-Gok into the warlord known as Karunval. This diadem grants him Resistance (Psychic Powers, Fear), and due to its insidious and blasphemous nature makes him completely immune to any attempts at mind-control (Save the Diadems, of course). It is permanently bonded to his flesh, with thorns piercing directly into his mind, and cannot be removed from Karunval without killing him in the process. Furtheremore, while the Diadem gives him incredible resistance to anything that would attempt to damage his mind, the mad whispers and caresses of the voices in his head are pushing the limits of what his (formerly) Ogryn mind can handle. Whenever Karunval receives any Insanity Points, the amount of points he receives are doubled, and he starts out with 50 Insanity Points.

The hardest part of this guy wasn't just the fact that he was brutally powerful, but the fact that he was surrounded by very well equipped and decently intelligent Ogryn henchmen.
>>
File: hearteyes.gif (613KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
hearteyes.gif
613KB, 500x331px
>Reading the Servo-Automata entry
>Affectionately called “Servo-Squids” by those who work heavily with them, Servo-Automata are adorable constructs who float slightly above the ground, their armored frames as tough as a Kataphron.
>They are capable of being armed with a variety of basic and heavy weapons, and float dutifully behind their Techpriest owner, happily chirping all the while.

>They make squeaking sounds when one hugs them.

They really are the cutest things. I think I need a drawfag.
>>
>>48777252
how the fuck do you doublepost on 4chan
>>
>>48776750
How powerful are they? Can they handle 5 undodgable attacks that do 3 3d10+3 damage from the PDF using lasguns with a magnitude 50 horde?
>>
>>48777294
He didn't double post, he fucked up the formatting in his first post, deleted it, and posted it again.
>>
>>48776750
He's talking about the fact that Hordes are super, super dangerous.
>>
File: Dark Eldar cup.jpg (145KB, 499x546px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar cup.jpg
145KB, 499x546px
>The Dark Eldar invade the Jericho Reach fortress through the Omega Vault, and kill all the Marines stationed there, leaving it an empty husk.

Source: Deathwatch codex fluff.

So, not only is the Omega Vault confirmed as a Webway portal in official canon, but Deathwatch as a line is BTFO.
>>
In Deathwatch, is it bad mojo to use your own custom chapters?
>>
>>48777437
Craftworld eldar are also utterly fucked due to Eldrad being Eldrad.
>>
>>48777456
Not at all. Why would it be? There's chapter creation rules for a reason.
>>
>>48777437
>and kill all the Marines stationed there, leaving it an empty husk.

The fluff in FFG says that the Watch Fortress is almost always barely populated, with most Marines out on missions - there's usually never more than 20-30 marines there at any given time.

So what likely happened if we want to reconcile this fluff change is that the Dark Eldar killed everybody at the Watch Fortress, and the Deathwatch in the region has been dealt a significant blow. This has earned every team in the region a personal vendetta against the Dark Eldar, and purge missions by the remaining Marines have ramped up in their intensity, despite the major blows to their logistics, supplies, and leadership.
>>
>>48777491
Just wondering if it's something That Guys would do to minmax really
>>
>>48777524
Why go through that trouble when the chapters provided can do that easily?
>>
>>48777535
A good question, thanks for the answer though
>>
File: nope.png (33KB, 492x198px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
33KB, 492x198px
>>48777506

Don't worry, he's full of shit and completely wrong.
>>
>>48776915
2d10

In opposed WP checks the enemy's DoS/DoF is subtracted/added from the final result.
>>
>>48777986
Where does it state this? Can't find anything under the psychic powers or opposed tests of chapter 7 in DW.
>>
Anybody got any cool spaceship builds for RT?

Bumping thread for interest
>>
>>48777437
>>48777651

Woah, no reference to Jericho or the specific Fortress. So it more looks like GWs shitty writers forgot to namechecking and invited a Fortress Omega (and shitty name that is, like how many Omegas there is in the Imperium? Where is Watch Fortress Bob?)

... A question comes to mind: How much the Codex destroyed Deathwatch fluff and backstory?
>>
>>48779249

Deathwatch's Watch Fortress is named "Fortress Erioch," I think. So yes, it's just a rando no name fortress the codex uses.
>>
File: 1436765017277.gif (59KB, 183x199px) Image search: [Google]
1436765017277.gif
59KB, 183x199px
>player thinks detonating frag grenade in his hand is a good way to disperse a horde which is about to close in melee
>surprised when he gets two righteous furies in a row, down to 1/2 wounds and previously wounded techmarine caught in the blast loses his power unit and gets his chestplate destroyed
>this is deep within enemy facility on high alert where they need to avoid getting swamped by security teams
>mfw
>>
bump
>>
Question: Is it too completely unreasonable to have a Space Marine as a (very high level) Inquistorial Acolyte for the Ordo Hereticus? I realize that it's an extremely improbable situation, but it's also not IMPOSSIBLE for it to happen.

I want to know before I really commit to this character I've built up.
>>
I posted earlier about createing a khornate bezerker. And I've decided on a backstory and what not just gonna ask for you opinions.
(Insert Generic Khornate name here) was a feral worlder who was honored by his tribe for his ferocity and honor for Felenosh god of war. From time to time the brass angels of blood would descend from the heavens and claim their finest champions for eternal service to Felenosh. IGKNH was his tribes canidate in the brutal trial for the favor of their gods, the tribe who's representative wins gains great boons from the Angels. And the victor himself would ascend to their eternal ranks to fight in the name of felenosh.

IGKNH was succesful in his trial and went through the process of becomeing a Khornate Bezerker. This issue is his Butcher's Nails were put in place by a shoddy heretek and quickly drove him into an eternal ly frothing frenzy. Of course this was a common occurence, and this Bezerker changed hands many times. Eventually ending up in the possesion of the current chaos warband of the campaign.

My current concerns are "Do chaos marines have recruitment worlds?", "Do they use hereteks or apothecaries for implants.?", and "Would a Khornate bezerker of this caliber be essentially a liveing weapon who constantly changes hands?".
>>
File: GK_Terminator_3.png (97KB, 250x290px) Image search: [Google]
GK_Terminator_3.png
97KB, 250x290px
>>48782533
You mean a grey knight? Except working for the hereticus rather than malleus.
>>
>>48782820
Not quite. I mean a "normal" Space Marine.

The idea is that he and his squad shadowed the Inquisitor while they investigated a possible cult activity on his Chapter World. The entire Chapter was present for a formal ceremony (and he was angry he was not a part of the ceremony, instead "babysitting" an Inquisitor), and during the culmination of the ceremony, a massive cult uprising happens all across the planet in a coordinated attack on vital infrastructure and population centers. It turns out this attack is led by Word Bearers. This attack takes the Chapter completely by surprise, and their Monastery is under full siege and penetrated by a cadre of Word Bearers. These WB tear open a Warp Rift in the middle of the Monastery, and then head to the Apothecarium to rob it of all its gene-seed. The fortress is completely and totally under siege by Daemons of all sorts, with reality cracking around it, and eventually collapsing in on itself as the Warp swallows the whole thing. The Marine and the Inquisitors retinue are fighting their way through masses of Cultists, and board their transport and get in the air, leaving as the Warp-Rift expands and begins to spawn all sorts of Daemons across the planet as it descends into Chaos.

ON board the =][= shuttle, the Inquisitor offers him and his three squad mates the chance to exact vengeance on the Word Bearers, as he knew which particular Apostle led them. They track him down, and, after a massive battle, the Marine ends up killing the Apostle, but his squad-mates died to get him there.

The Inquisitor offers him a choice - he can join the Deathwatch as a Blackshield, or he can work with the Inquisitor and exact revenge on Word Bearers and all other forms of heresy. After much deliberation, he agrees to work for him.

Cont.
>>
>>48782820
>>48783030

Cont.

The general progression I have in mind for this character is one where he struggles with his identity and the incredible loss of his Chapter. He understands his value and the value of working for the Inquisition, and that the missions they undertake are of vital importance, he can't help but feel incredible survivors guilt at the loss of his entire chapter, and feels lost, not knowing if he is even still a Space Marine anymore. It's hard for him to work alongside mortals, not because they're weak or incompetent, but because they simply think and operate in such a radically different way than he does. He doesn't know where he wants to go or what he wants to do - he wakes up every day and wonders what he is even doing with his life, before putting on his robes and doing the duty he swore to do.

Eventually (or so I plan) he realizes that even though he has no Chapter anymore, life in the Inquisition isn't a bad one, and it's actually something he's quite good at. He starts asking questions, starts thinking obliquely, learns the value of contacts and subtlety, and learns how to trust non-Astartes when necessary. He develops as a leader and person, and also learns his limits - while he's incredibly intelligent and not a bad speaker, he realizes that infiltration and social manipulation are best left to his teammates, and that's okay. He also acts as a go-between with other Space Marines whenever they work alongside them (With the other Astartes first being extremely confused by him, then going "Ah shit I heard about that, that sucks man" when learning why he's an Acolyte) and also as a grand strategist.

I don't know what his endgame would be, though.
>>
a bump
>>
>>48782793
Afaik there's little to no recruitment for chaos marines, but it could happen what with Fabius and his ilk being hired to do just that job or device new ways of creating marines. Or something to that effect.
But Khornates are pretty much just living weapons, like all astartes.
>>
>>48782793
Chaos marines definitely can have recruitment worlds. The answer to any question involving them is almost always "probably."

CSM recruitment ranges from "none" to "Fabius Bile lol" to "take over entire SM chapters"
>>
Hey fellas, has anyone ever made anything like notecards for the different requisitions in deathwatch? my players are spending like 40 minutes trying to figure out what they want going though the book, and I want to streamline it any way I can.
>>
>>48786577
Why are they taking 40 minutes to get gear unless if they're very slow at reading and/or indecisive?
>>
File: 1348268173137.jpg (108KB, 442x434px) Image search: [Google]
1348268173137.jpg
108KB, 442x434px
>>48783155
Man that character (and his entire pre-planned character progression, including encounters and how those encounters will run) fucking sucks.
>>
>>48787231
Not him, what exactly is the problem?
>>
>>48787281
Well firstly the backstory's pretty stupid, an entire Chapter being destroyed through the instantenous destruction of a world, completely unforseen by anyone, by a Traitor Legion not especially well known for their subtlety. With the entire Chapter on the planet, and then they just happen to manage to defeat the super-badass who somehow managed to do something no other Chaos leader had ever done in the history of the Imperium.
That's not really what I take major objection to however.

It's how he's trying to determine future game direction with all of this otherwise pointless character development drivel. Shit which makes no sense and seems stupidly hamfisted if it doesn't work related to the shit which actually happens.

It's the kind of shit, and the kind of players that I fucking detest.
If you want to define that much shit in the game, wonderful.
I'd been wanting to fucking play for a while.
I'll roll up my character now shall I?
>>
>>48776185
My Sister of Battle, during a boarding action against a heretic vessel, got turned into slag by a meltagun that popped around the corner.
>>
File: Blood_Slaughterer_jubjubjedi.jpg (828KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Blood_Slaughterer_jubjubjedi.jpg
828KB, 700x1000px
>>48786562
Well despite Fabius BIle's dickery. I dont think its impossible for a feral world to get into khorne worship and be the "Oh we have some geneseed stolen from loyalists just lying around." planet.

Where they just shore up their forces with an extra chaos marine from time to time. Another thing is, they wouldn't want to run full scale recruitment because that would draw the Imperium's attention. Well I could at least see the alpha legion getting away with it.
>>
File: vindicare_by_jessyruiz-d61y7eq.jpg (147KB, 755x1058px) Image search: [Google]
vindicare_by_jessyruiz-d61y7eq.jpg
147KB, 755x1058px
>>48787530
Honestly he could forgo that backstory entirely. Space marine on an inquisitor's retuine would only get to leave the ship dureing dangerous bits, Feral worlds or worlds with imperial guard stationed on them.
>>
>>48787672
Mostly, yeah.
They would be ludicrously disruptive to any Inquisitor who had an interest in maintining a higher Subtlety rating.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 459x424px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 459x424px
>>48782533
>>
>>48787813
I'd love for there to be an RPG or even a new GW boardgame where you played as these guys. Favorite chapter hands down.
>>
My Deathwatch campaign is rapidly becoming a shonen superhero manga with all dramatic backflips, cutting enemies in half mid-jump and players standing on a hardly accessibly vantage points looking cool and dramatic.
I'm okay with that.
>>
>>48789542
>Becoming
>Not being like that from the start
>>
In 2e Enemies Without, does the Unguents of Warding upgrade count as 1 armor upgrade total or 1 upgrade per hit location applied to?
>>
How closely does the inquisition work with arbites? How difficult should it be to their their help to raid a cult hideout or similar?

In my limited understanding on the relationship between the two organizations, it shouldn't be that difficult, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

This isn't for any game, just a thought that crossed my mind.
>>
I'd hear rumours that FFG were losing the GW license, which would obviously screw things up. Can anyone corroborate?
>>
>>48791361
As far as I know there's no actual evidence for it, but the fact the last book they released was 7 months ago, with no new ones in the works, and they seem to be not doing anything for Conquest beyond the current set of card packs, it's not a far fetched conclusion to reach.
>>
>>48791361
>>48791534
>Post YFW GW makes its own 40kRPG in-house
>It's built on a Shadowrun-like D6 dice pool system
>And is just as power-creeped and messy as the tabletop game itself
>>
>>48776666 (checked)
>>48777075
Wait, how is 45 Int Genius level?

>>48790398
What page?
>>
>>48792106
Page 45 of enemies beyond. Not sure why I put enemies without.
>>
>>48792106
It's an Ogryn he probably meant genius level for an ogryn.
>>
>>48792106
Average humans are like 25
>>
>>48792252
I'd treat it as one hour, container and test for each location. To ward a whole armor covering All would take a minimum of six hours, containers and tests.

>>48792442
>>48792802
I guess it makes sense, just haven't put any thought into it. If the human average was 25, then 45 would be the equivalent of 180 IQ, and 150 for the average of 30.
>>
Hi guys. I got a Deathwatch game starting up, and one of the girls decided to play as an Sister of Battle Heirophant, as per the rules of transferring DH characters to DW. However, I have no idea how to handle her Renown. What do you guys think I should do?
>>
>>48793419
Same as everyone else, but talk to her and come up with a new table that mixes Sororita and Astartes virtues and failings. Alternatively, same as everyone else on the logic that the Deathwatch has specific values which won't change only because there's a Sister accompanying a kill team for whatever godforsaken reason.
>>
>>48791581
I'm pretty sure that's what Dark Heresy was originally.
>>
>>48792946
2d10+20 for an average of 31. 45 isn't a genius, but significantly above average. Marines roll 2d10+30 for an average of 41, so the guy is slightly smarter than the average astartes.
>>
>>48793419
Disallow the character. Astartes operate on a different level.
>>
>>48793615
Or just retcon female space marines in. It's not a huge deal.
>>
>>48794020
Nah, that is retarded.
>>
>>48793615

>implying SoB can't roll marines of same xp value with proper build abd faith power cheese
>>
>>48794218
>implying any SoB has any place in a kill team
>>
>>48793419
I've played a Rank 8 Sister of Battle in a game of Deathwatch Marines. It went pretty well actually. In fact, she alone, singled handedly shredded a Hive Tyrant while all the other marines were disabled or separated. Her Faith Powers also made quite a few encounters easier than they would have otherwise.

My only advice to be liberal with the Sister's gear or at least EXP, and then make it clear to her stay the fuck out harm's way when there is a Horde, because Hordes fuck your little squishy body up. You can be tough as a Sister of Battle, but you don't have Unnatural Toughness.
>>
How can I best emulate Gil-Galad?
>>
>>48794910
Play a system that uses the appropriate themes. One Ring is pretty good. ACKS if you want to focus on the king angle.
>>
>>48794830
Also, on a person note that approaches a grudge, I don't get FFG's boner for keeping hordes away from the other lines. Yeah sure Dark Heresy 1.0 pre-Ascension can't deal with them, but strong Ascended Characters, Rogue Traders, or Only War Guardsmen could FUCK a horde up no problem especially if they're smart, have good gear, or have solid tactics.

Don't get me wrong, a horde can still fuck your shit up using simple rifles, but it seems kinda incongruent to say hordes can't be dealt with outside of Marine games.
>>
>>48793419
Does she know about Blood of Martyrs? Because Sisters got their own ascension career in an online supplement for it
>>
>>48794939
I was just wondering if it's possible in the 40krpgs really
>>
>>48794910
>>48795138
As an NPC eldar? Eldrad?
>>
File: Heretics, heretics everywhere.jpg (36KB, 960x594px) Image search: [Google]
Heretics, heretics everywhere.jpg
36KB, 960x594px
>>48782533
>>48783155
The space marine in question would just go into the deathwatch, even working with an inquisitor for any extended period of time would be a stretch fluff-wise as the inquisition and the space marines are quite separate. This seperation is by design, a sort of check and balance thing to avoid any more Horus Heresy style rebellions, even on a smaller (chapters are much smaller than they were pre-Horus Heresy). From a game-play standpoint, it would be nigh impossible to balance the marine; he would end up hogging the spotlight in combat and either being useless outside of it if you go for balance or good at it and thus over powered as fuck if you go for fluff (warrior scholars and what not). So in short, no, it is not a reasonable idea, but good try, people who come up with interesting character ideas make these games fun, just try to rein it in. Pic related, I like it and I like you.
>>
>>48795083

It doesn't match their themes and takes away from what makes Marines so special and heroic.

After all, a single lone Marine could easily handle a modern army division. ;^)
>>
>>48795266
sorry, looks like my pic is broken
>>
>>48795294
No, it just fell to chaos.
>>
>>48795083
Cover is so helpful with hordes, people don't even know. A melee hit from a horde will ruin your day, but the average horde will be shooting effective WS 55 at most anyway. Don't dive into the meatgrinder in melee, stay in cover and ruin them with dakka, and you'll be fine.
That said, throwing out an angry mob Horde armed with literal torches and pitchforks is a great way to teach players to be careful with showing off their weirdness
>>
>>48795138
Rogue Trader could conceivably do it if you did some converting and played as eldar corsairs, possibly complete with an arc similar to Yriel's.
>>
>>48795357
>not wading through xeno cowards in glorious close combat
That sounds suspiciously like heresy.
>>
>>48795204
>>48795397
Yeah probably Eldar, naturally. Though I tend to associate Gil-galad with a sombre mood, I'm not sure if this is easily doable in 40k because it feels so goofy to me.
>>
>>48795440
It is. You can try for the pathos and the forgotten glory, but this is in essence a very British ironic dystopia. You really are better off with a more grounded setting and a system that feeds into the themes you want. Try Burning Wheel, it has elves that are very close to what you're looking for.
>>
>>48795440
Well, Eldrad recently lost all the souls in every craftworld's infinity circuit.
>>
>>48795500
Naturally, I'm just trying to mesh two things I like out of boreddom, it's nothing I'm excessively craving right now. Weaving tales into the fabric of the setting is something I'm fond of as well, if only for future reference when I run games. I get what you're saying though.

>>48795514
He did? I thought the guy was dead, I must be far behind on the current established lore.
>>
>>48794830
>but you don't have Unnatural Toughness.

Get the Mantle of Ophelia and Cloak of St Aspira from DH1 Heresy Begets Retribution. Then you're just as good, with Unnatural toughness and everything.

It also has the Sisters of Battle Palatine, the Ascension rank for Sisters.
>>
>>48795619
Oooh, true, totally forgot about that Mantle and Cloak. That'd be so damn helpful, it'd pretty much keep a Sister of Battle going against much more. Wish the game I was in actually made it that far though, because I was literally like 200 EXP away from being a Palatine hah. Also, I suffered a random mutation and grew wings...
>>
>>48795083
What keeps us from using the DW horde rules for other lines? Not familiar with DW, unfortunately.
>>
So I'm planning on sending my high(er) level Explorers on a quest to explore a new star system, which is going to include a Space Hulk orbiting it. They're pretty solid from a combat standpoint, and their mooks are very well armed (Company of 50 Power-Armored Veterans with Hot-Shot Volley Guns, it's a long story but they earned them) so I want to give them a challenge, but one that isn't going to insta-fuck them up.

I'm thinking either Rak'Gol or Chaos Cult on the hulk itself, and I don't exactly know what "rewards" I want to bury in the hulk.

Any ideas?
>>
>>48798658
Try rolling a bunch of random bullshit on the SoI Treasure Generator, maybe you get an item or two that gets your imagination going. It often helps for me.
>>
>>48798922
>SoI Treasure Generator

The what now? Is that in one of the books?
>>
>>48799023
Stars of Inequity
It's got a pretty nice treasure generator, though you might want to think up a few items of your own after a few rolls, or veto certain results as appropriate.
>>
>>48798410
Yeah, I've used hordes for Rogue Trader and Only War myself, so it's not like any prevents it. I was just harping on FFG's attitude.
>>
>>48799182
Ah. Yeah, I'm looking at it now, and it seems pretty neat. Thanks man.
>>
File: Dow2_sm_avitus_portrait.png (38KB, 184x208px) Image search: [Google]
Dow2_sm_avitus_portrait.png
38KB, 184x208px
>>48795432
Devastators exist, anon.

Are you saying Devastators are heretics?
>>
>>48795275
>It doesn't match their themes

Completely and utterly this. Normal humans shouldn't stand a chance against hordes, they;'re just too multitudinous. They are the domain of Astartes. If your human players are able to take on hordes, then why bother with Astartes?

I made the mistake of using hordes against a Rogue Trader group once. They were only rank 4, but with heavy bolters and storm bolters, they were able to out-initiative and outshoot a magnitude 50 horde in one round. I had to fiat the horde invincible to maintain the theme that was supposed to be presented.
>>
File: 1470513790928.jpg (253KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470513790928.jpg
253KB, 500x500px
>>48800659
That one certainly is.
>>
>>48800756
>I had to fiat the horde invincible to maintain the theme that was supposed to be presented.
Deliver my condolences to your players.
>>
>>48800872
>Wolfcastle_does_standup.png
>>
First-time Deathwatch GM, I'm looking for feedback on a campaign idea.

Kill team gets dispatched to pacify a rebelling hive, infiltrates the hive's heavily defended interior to assassinate its leadership... who turn out to be mindshackled. Hive's built atop a Necron tomb that's now woken up. Best nuke it or collapse it, battle-brothers. The longer they take OR the deeper they get, the more powerful troops and elites appear.

Is this completely terrible?
>>
>>48804399
Make it genestealers, since it'd be easier to figure out it's actually fukken xenos rather than secessionists. The deeper they go, the more 'terraformed' the underhive gets and the older and more fucked up Tyranid variants and hybrids become.
It's easier to run and hurry along, takes advantage of the cramped, hazardous environments of an underhive, and they have a chance to win, unlike with the Necrons.
>>
>>48804399

Yeah, I gotta agree with >>48804752 here. Necrons (done correctly) are INCREDIBLY difficult to fight in any meaningful number. It's much easier to go the Genestealer route while you build up your GM chops and your party gets strong.

Genestealers are no slouch either, especially if you seed in a few other vanguard organisms like Lictors and 'Thropes in the deepest, darkest parts of the nest. They can easily take down a Kill-Team that isn't prepared for them or gets separated and picked off, and that's without hordes of Cultists and the like.
>>
>>48804791
>>48804752

Makes better sense. I started thinking Tyranids but didn't want to bring out too much heavy stuff. Forgot proper genestealers were a thing.
>>
>>48804815
so why does the mega not have the various solace adventures?
>>
>>48804992
whoops, didnt mean to direct it at your post sir. >>48804815
>>
i just realized that there has neever been an instance of a scout marine tatted in the rpg's.
>>
>>48805543
>tatted

You don't get Aquila tattoos until after they give you your armour, anon. Everyone knows that.
>>
>>48805945
pfft. of course i actually meant statted.
>>
>>48805985
Apart from less use of listed astartes organs and scout armour, what are you expecting?
>>
>>48806020
just surprised that they never showed up as an npc across all the rpg lines.
>>
Is it me or DA deathwatch players are cunty in one way or another? in 4 years of gaming, I've only seen one who played it right, was a total bro and did his DA in forgiven bit property.
>>
File: Aisha_Clanclan_(Beast_Mode).png (434KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Aisha_Clanclan_(Beast_Mode).png
434KB, 640x480px
>>48776141

Anyone got some stats i could use for Felinids? Most i got is below, and it seems a bit incomplete.

WS 25 +2d10
BS 15 +2d10
S 15 +2d10
T 20 +2d10
Ag 25 +2d10
Per 25 +2d10
Int 15 + 2d10
Wil 20 +2d10
Fel 20+2d10

What else can i give them to make them seem more like cats? Unnatural Agility? Dark Sight? Natural Weapons? A combination of the three?

Better yet, Are these Miquo'tes? Or Ctarl-Ctarl?
>>
>>48807011
Why are you baiting? There are better ways to keep the thread afloat
>>
File: 1470622195663.jpg (151KB, 950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470622195663.jpg
151KB, 950x1200px
>>48807011
Base human statistics, -10Fel when interacting with non-abhumans, start with 1d10 Corruption and one random mutation. Unnatural Agility x2.
>>
File: 1462097927328.jpg (72KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1462097927328.jpg
72KB, 1024x724px
I have some friends who have never played a TTRPG before, is there any way to feasibly run a short game for those that don't have the basic concepts of the genre? They've shown interest in the universe a lot but have no understanding of even the simplest RPG mechanics.

How would I go about making a 40k rpg game as rules-lite and as preparation-less (for them) as possible?
>>
>>48807780
Run the intro from Only War. It's simple, gives them a good intro to how everything sucks, and is both fairly self-contained and open to continuation.
You can give them premade characters and regiment to speed it up even more.
>>
>>
>>48807125

Why has the word bait become "thing I don't like"
>>
>>48810200

to bait you.
>>
>>48776141
Hey I have a question for you guys:
I managed to convince a handful of my friends to try pnp games through a campaign of either DH or RT. I want to try and get them hooked not only on the 40k setting, but also PnP games, (I'm miss playing games so much) which of the two would be better for that? Also any advice for a still fairly novice GM?
>>
>>48810791
DH 2e.

Do things by the book first until you get a feel for the rules and the tone of the game.
>>
>>48810407
lel
>>
Does anyone use cybernetics for other games for Deathwatch?

Is there even a point to using most of them, for that matter?
>>
>>48814269
Besides tech priests?

Replacing lost limbs and adding capabilities or enhancing normal ones.
>>
>>48814269
There's one that turns off your ability to feel pain. This includes the rules for being set on fire
>>
Not specifically 40k related, but it's the game I'm running.

So I'm GMing, and I'm kind of tired of keeping statblocks in a binder, which is what I've done before. I was instead thinking about putting them on my ipad for quick reference. I'm not quite sure what the fastest method is though, I was deciding between pictures(just have the statblocks in an album for quick reference) or a consolidated PDF(which seems like it will be easier but slower).

On that note, what's a good PDF reader for my digital copies? The base reader is way, way too slow, and the ones I've tested out has been worse or had another annoying issues.
>>
>>48814749
>So I'm GMing, and I'm kind of tired of keeping statblocks in a binder, which is what I've done before. I was instead thinking about putting them on my ipad for quick reference
Binder is quicker and more painless, trust me. I used to have statblocks, notes and such on a tablet. Very practical for an extra rulebook and player handouts, huge pain in the ass for GM notes.

Physicaly stuff or an actual computer (laptop or desktop) is far superior.
>>
Right lads, I want to compare career paths in Rogue Trader

What program can I use?

Let's say I want too compare Fleshcrafter with Kabalite Rank 4, what I don't care about is the ones they have that are the same, what I want to know is what one has and what the other doesn't. And what I lose out on, or can't get in any other rank. So say they should be blue if you can't get them any other rank
>>
>>48815765
Ten minutes in Excel. Alternatively just do it manually, it shouldn't take you long.
>>
What do you use for character generators?

That includes Faith and Coin?
>>
>>48817412
>What do you use for character generators?

I personally just do it the old fashioned way.

I think there are some Character Sheets up in the Mega Homebrew section.

If you want a completely random character background, put each archetype, planetary homeworld, Lure of the Void, etc. on an Excel sheet and roll them randomly.
>>
>>48817727
>>48817075

Presumably in the history of Rogue Trader, some one, somewhere else has wanted to do these things and made an excel already. That's not outdated
>>
>>48814749
>not coming up with stats and talents on the fly mid fight
>>
>>48818374
Why are you describing yourself isntead of helping poster's problem?
>>
Best-quality bionic arms can be used to store small items, but how small? The example given is a pistol ammo clip, but what about something like a grenade or combi-tool? What would you say are the extends of what a best-quality bionic arm can hold?
>>
>>48818595
Small grenade yes.

Combi-tool no.

Personally I imagine anything bigger than a pack of smokes probably wouldn't fit.
>>
>>48818636
I've always thought of combi-tools as slightly bulkier swiss army knives. How do you imagine they look like?
>>
Is it better to have a DH game focused on the big three threats or only one of them?
>>
Have any of you guys created custom planets for your party to explore, and woven them into the fabric of the setting? I really, really like to do that, and I'm wondering if anybody else does.
>>
>>48819009
>What is Rogue Trader's Stars of Inequity?
If the party travels planets at all, it is bound to happen.
>>
>>48819009
Canon planets rarely appear in my games.

My favorite homebrew planet thus far was a gas giant with flying cities floating in a habitable oxygen layer. It was an Only War game featuring a three way war between Chaos, Imperials and Orkz. The city-platforms were connected via huge sky bridges.
>>
>>48819060
Well yeah, I've used the generator too.

I meant like designing a star system or planet from the ground-up for your party to discover, up to and including the people who live there and the problems throughout.

>>48819141
My Battle-Nigga

That sounds pretty cool. One of my planets that (I think) is really interesting is a larger but partially hollowed-out world riddled with caves and caverns beneath its surface. 99% of the population lives underground in massive Hive structures due to incredibly violent storms that plague its surface, and have developed an entire society around mining, fungus farming, and hunting the various creatures of the planet. A large chunk of the fungus and plant life in the tunnels is bioluminescent or emits UV light, and the people who live there naturally synthesize Vitamin D to compensate for the near-complete darkness. They have jet-black skin (as they don't need sunlight) to blend in with the tunnels, and their eyes are slightly reflective to give them increased night vision. Their primary exports are tunnel-fighters, promethium, iron, and heavy metals, as well as specific "luxury" fungus that they sell to gourmets across the Expanse.

They're currently in a constant tunnel war with Genestealers and Orks, and a Mechanicus-led team has recently discovered ancient Xenos ruins underneath one of the hive worlds Maybe they're Necrons, maybe they're not, I haven't decided yet.
>>
>>48818966
In my opinion you can have all three threats in a game. You could have a cult of recidivists who are being lead by some xenos mastermind who's goal is to take over part of a hive. Or xenos who are unwittingly worshipping a daemon/daemonhost as an incarnation of their diety. It adds variety, and can still incorporate whatever aspect that your cell of acolytes primarily fight. At the end of the day, no matter what branch you serve in, acolytes better be ready to fight whatever enemy of mankind is thrown at them.
>>
>>48819514
This. Also keep in mind that a 'street-level' game of DH will have them fighting and investigating humans, with maybe a glimpse of the actual threat at the end of an arc.
>>
>>48818668
They're described as having everything a tech-priest needs, so a computer, connectors, power tools, a welder, a plasma torch, a small fabricator for spare parts, and probably a few hundred other things only a cogboy would deem necessary. They don't give me a small and compact vibe at all, I imagine them more like some arcane multi-limbed contraption hooked up to a data slate and a 3d printer.
>>
>>48820294
They also weigh 1 kg.
>>
Is melee or shooting generally better at killing in these RPGs?
>>
>>48820767

Shooting by far. There are very few problems an autocannon cannot reliably solve, from hordes of guardsmen to battle automata.
>>
>>48820767
Generally shooting, but melee can be very rewarding in many situations with the proper builds.

Also, if you don't think an honor duel between two rival Rogue Traders on a ships bridge in the middle of a gigantic space battle between two full-sized battlefleets isn't the tightest shit you need to get the fuck out my face
>>
How does 40krpg feel about items or situations that give +/- less than a full 10? Too much effort with the math? Not significant enough to be worth it?
>>
>>48821163
As a player, and current GM, anything that can tip the odds in your favor is useful.
>>
>>48820767
Shooting's generally the better tool for flat up murder.
But people with some actual fucking style use melee weapons.

>>48821163
Not worth the effort.
>>
>>48821308
>>48821083
>>48820822

Flipping the question a bit: is melee viable enough in Deathwatch to be a primary or near-primary option? I have a Black Templar apothecary in my game whose mission in life is to rip and tear with a power sword.
>>
>>48821694
Sure, just don't be silly like someone from my last group and swear and oath to never use a ranged weapon.

Man was it awkward when he was the last guy standing, and the group was screaming at him to pick up another group member's gun and shoot the escaping BBEG.
>>
>>48795432

More like hearsay am I rite?
>>
How would you run a Deathwatch game for a single player, 1 on 1?
>>
>>48821694
Melee is the better option defensively in some cases, since you can parry melee attacks from shit trying to RIP AND TEAR you. And there's a lot of shit tough enough to survive gunshots until it can RIP AND TEAR.

It's still plenty killy, though, especially in the case of a Space Marine where they're getting huge buffs to melee damage in the form of their Unnatural Strength.
>>
>>48776185
>getting his ear cut off
>getting set on fire by a summoned daemon
>getting absorbed by a daemon
>getting set on fire again but by an ally's flamer
>getting possessed by his daemon sword
>getting shot at point blank range in the chest with a bolter
>getting dead

So many choices.
>>
>>48819141
Smells very ""Bespin - Cloud City" nice.
>>
>>48776185
I had a character have his brain eated from the inside out by psychneiun larva. That was pretty nasty.
>>
>>48777252
Where are these things?
>>
>>48779877
Tbf, I've done this, it worked out pretty well for me, only lost a little health.
>>
>>48779877
It kinda works if you're sufficiently armoured.

One PC in my Black Crusade group did it to great effect with stun grenades. High Toughness and Iron Jaw does wonders.
>>
Running a dark heresy campaign
Currently the acolytes have discovered the chaos cult is operating out of a warehouse complex in an abandoned district is a huuuuuuge Hive. They're planning to infiltrate and take out the cult leaders. Little do they know the "leaders" are actually a small contingent of CSM lead by a sorcerer. Who would be the proper in fluff reinforcements against that kind of enemy? The inquisitor I'm playing as has warned them not to be too brash, and would in character, likely send the necessary reinforcements to back them up in a fight like that.
Also the players are veeeery new to 40k. They don't know much about how powerful space marines are
>>
>>48827587
In this case, you're either going to need Stormtroopers (and a fair chunk of them) or loyalist Space Marines. Anything else is going to get slaughtered.

If you're gonna do CSM, give the players plenty of opportunities to discover just how powerful these guys are, either through them sneaking up on them and seeing them fight, through data-entries and other info-dumps that describe them as horrifying combat monsters, or them meeting and seeing what a regular Space Marine can do as a reference. If you're doing CSM correctly, they're gonna be combat monsters and extremely intelligent soldiers, using flanking attacks, pinning them down, grenade volleys, and creative use of terrain to get close to the party and fuck their day up.

If they just wander in there with no idea what they're facing, they're gonna die unless you fiat it and save them.
>>
>>48827716
Thanks m8
Deathwatch and grey knights would be out of the question for an operation like this no?
>>
>>48827014

On tabletop? They come from the taghmata book and most likely will show up in Fires of Cyraxus. In the RPG? They're in Mars Needs Women in the OP. The last time people discussed the book there was a shitstorm though.
>>
>>48787813
What chapter is this?
>>
>>48827781
Not really, especially if they're either Xenos or Malleus Acolytes respectively. However, if they're Hereticus, those two will be a bit more difficult to get as they're technically not within their jurisdiction.

Hereticus Inquisitors usually call upon Stormtroopers or Sisters or other "regular" troops to fight their battles (as it usually is the most appropriate, given how they're cult-busters). Using Sisters of Battle would be a great ally force, now that I think about it, as they're almost on par with CSM and their Faith and discipline gives them an edge (Though the CSM will have the edge in strength and ferocity). Calling in a few squads of Sisters should really help the Acolytes out, while still presenting a challenge to them.

Also, when facing CSM, plasma is your friend. Maybe give the players a chance to get a hold of a Pistol or Gun (though it definitely shouldn't be free)
>>
>>48827837
I don't know either
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably something along the lines of red skulls
>>
>>48827865
A character already lost an arm for one but they got it
>>
>>48827837
Red Hunters.
>>
>>48827837
>>48827886

Red hunters. The inquisition mind wipes them after every battle, but some residual trainings remain.
>>
>>48827804

It wasn't a "shitstorm" it was just one turbofaggot yelling loudly on an anti-homebrew crusade.
>>
>>48827934
Then they should be okay, as long as they take them on one at a time rather than in a squad. If a full squad of CSM comes at them, they're gonna be royally fucked.
>>
File: Khorne_Berserker.png (2MB, 751x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Khorne_Berserker.png
2MB, 751x1021px
So I have a Dark Heresy game coming up and I am playing as pic related.
I was thinking king about doing the voice like the audio from dawn of war for the khorne berserker.
Is that too autistic? Should I just do my regular voice?
Do your pcs use different voices for thier characters dwarf, female, evil, etc.
>>
>>48828855
Dark heresy lets you play as CSM? I'm pretty sure you would just be better off playing black crusade anon since that system fits a character like that much better
>>
How viable would it be to have two people play a 1k sorcerer and another a rubric? I know the latter doesn't lend itself to a whole lot of character, but it could be interesting unless I'm wrong.
>>
>>48828965
Shit, I meant black crusade
>>
Any wh40k rpgs that let me play as an ork?
>>
>>48829006
Rogue Trader
>>
>>48828994
Oh ok, yea go ahead use the voice from DoW. If you're doing it at an irl table with people you don't know then don't, but in any other case yea, knock yourself out m8
>>
>>48828970
You're wrong because they have zero personality.
>>
>>48828855
You're playing as Kharn? I hope GM has other equally powered characters and encounters or else it's gonna be an easy game
>>
>>48829054
I was under the impression that there were echoes and quirks about the suits still remaining
>>
>>48829067
Not as kharn just as a berzerker. One of the characters goals is to find kharn and kill him for fracturing the world eaters
>>
>>48829083
Nope. They don't do shit unless directed by a sorcerer.
>>
>>48829016
How would that work? As like a bodyguard?

Any systems that allow an orky campaign like black crusade does heretics
>>
>>48829120
Just a mercenary member of the crew, bodyguard, mekboy, whatever you want bud.
>>
>>48829120
Rogue Trader
>>
>>48829139
Nah m8 I'm talking like all 5 of us as orks fightin in a whaaaagh or a pirates, eventually challenging the warboss or sumthin
>>
>>48829275
So you're just not reading the books then.
>>
>>48829336
Into the storm? Or is there another?
>>
>>48829397
Rogue Trader has rules for playing as Orks.
>>
>>48829120

>I want to make another lore-disrupting meme game like deffwotch

Nah fuck off
>>
>>48829120
Rogue Trader does that
>>
>>48829436
>this guy wants to have fun and try something different better tell him to fuck off heh heh heh
>>
>>48829403
>>48829451
OK, I must have missed that chapter in the rulebook then
>>
>>48829397
>>48829120
Into the Storm, Navis Primer, and (I'm pretty sure) Hostile Acquisitions has rules for various Orks.

Koronus Bestiary does as well.
>>
>>48829480
I can't remember exactly what books but several cover it
>>
>>48829672
Cool, I'll check those out, thanks
>>
>>48776141
Does RT work as a game about Ork PCs and their merry band exploring, raiding and WAAAGHing around unknown sectors?
Would an exploration-heavy game even be a good idea?
>>
>>48829939
>would an exploration game about a bunch of orks fighting and looting be a good idea
>using the system designed for an exploration game featuring a bunch of Imperials fighting and looting across the galaxy

Yeah m8. Main problem is Freebootas start out pretty similar, iirc most of the weird shit like Mekboyz are Advances rather than their own paths with the exception of Weirdboyz.
>>
Dark Heresy game set on a late feudal (early 20th century) world with politics and mysteries based on real-life spooky stuff like the Dyatlov Pass Incident, the Lead Masks Case and other real ooky-spooky bullshit.

Yay or nay?
>>
>>48830019
Right, thanks. I haven't played, ran or even read RT and don't know anything of the system and can't really even read the books until weekend.

I've just been itching for a 40k RPG for a while now and one of my players got the crazy idea that ork konkiztadorz could be fun.

What non-combat situations could I throw at them by the way, if any? To my meager understanding Orks know of nothing else but war, but I'd guess a combat-only game would grow old, stale and boring fast.
>>
>>48776666
A campaign reoccuring daemonhost named Phrank Phrankus who started off a pc psyker with a grudge against his inquisitor.
My players have dealt with him in 2 separate camapaigns, and each time, it was bloody as hell.
>>
>>48830065
Yay.
>>
>>48791345
>How closely does the inquisition work with arbites?
Very. The Arbites are the first hand that roots out recidivists and heretics long before the Inquisition gets involved.
> How difficult should it be to their their help to raid a cult hideout or similar?
So long as they have proof and the credentials, not at all.
>>
>>48798410
The fact that BC'ss are better, OW's is best, and that unless you are creating a set piece, a horde over magnitude 20 is lethal to human pcs unless they are exceedingly geared or can control the pacing of the battle.
>>
>>48830352
Or have a horde of their own.
>>
>>48830387
Can't be counted on to have, tho, that is dependent on the individual scene.
Anything is easy to do if you simply say "the pcs have reinforcements".
>>
>>48830279
Ugh, I hate this meme: Arbites are NOT cops! Planets have their own police forces for that shit.
Arbites go after BIG FISH like Planetary Governors, Sector Lords - they are the Administratum's anti-corruption department. They take down lords, not peasants.
>>
>>48830473
Anon, I do think you need to read again on what the primary charge of the Arbites is.
At no point did I say they deal with petty crimes, but they do deal with crimes against the Imperium.
Recidivism and heretical acts are crimes against the Imperium, which fall under the Arbites jurisdiction, whoever is committing them.
>>
>>48830510
It is the duty of the planet commander to root out heresy and recidivism in his territory. It is the duty of the Adeptus Arbites to root out heresy and recidivism in the Adeptus Terra itself. The ENTIRE Adeptus Terra is the turf of the Arbites. They don't concern themselves with peons; they go after Adepts - members of the priesthood of Terra. Planetary Commanders. Not plebs. They don't worry about planetary troubles - they worry when that troubled planet stops paying its tithes on time. THAT is their concern - not planetary law and order; Imperium law and order. They work on a galactic scale; they measure their worth not in men, but in planets.
tl;dr - I don't think you understand the scale of the grimderp
>>
Critique my homebrew Unusual Ammunition/Grenades (for RT specifically, though they can be used in all systems).

Brightshot:
>Loaded with Magnesium and other volatile, illuminating materials, these weapons emit a blinding blast of light when fired in addition to their standard payload.
>Effects: Anyone with 10m who is looking at the firer as they fire the weapon must take a Challenging (+0) Toughness test or be stunned for 1d5 rounds, as they are blinded by the incredible brightness of the discharge. Individuals who are wearing a Photovisor gain a +30 Bonus to this test. Individuals who are standing behind the firer, facing away from them, or who are completely behind solid cover (i.e. their face is not visible) are unaffected by this effect. The range of this effect is doubled in low-light environments (such as dusk or a poorly-lit alley or corridor) and tripled in near-dark conditions (such as an unlit cave or starless night).
Availability: Rare
Used with: Shotguns

Wireshot:
>Instead of a standard payload of pellets or shrapnel, these shells are loaded with specially crafted razorwire or chain that are designed to spread apart in mid-air and deliver a large, shredding blow to unarmored targets across their body. While it's ineffective against armor, it has been known to completely annihilate limbs and tear apart internal organs in brutal fashion.
>Effects: The weapon changes its damage type from Impact to Rending, and reduces its Penetration to 0 (if it wasn't already). This weapon scores an additional Hit due to scatter for every 1 Degree of Success, rather than 2, and adds +1 to the Critical Effects table when it hits an arm or leg against an organic (i.e. not machine) target.
>Availability: Very Rare
>Used with: Shotguns
>>
>>48831506
I can see uses for each, though the Brightshot seems like a little too good of a replacement for the grenade version. Not bad overall.
>>
>>48831506
>Brightshot
Why don't you actually, you know, make them Blinded? Stunning is usually reserved for intense pain or inability to move. I'd also tie this to the normal range of the shotgun. A shotcannon and a sawn-off should probably have different amount of magnesium, you'd think.

>Wireshot
Eh, I'm not a fan. It's funky, and gets funkier with the old Scatter rules. Wouldn't it be better to tie the effects to not wearing armour at all?
>The weapon changes its damage type to Rending, gains a Penetration of 0 (independent of its old penetration) and gains +2 damage when hitting unarmoured body parts.
>>
>>48830352
Do you mean normal hordes or the human centered ones in the Khorne book?
>>
>>48831506
If a photovisor negates the effect of photon-flash grenades, why does it only provide a bonus against brightshot?
>>
80% of the thread is completely untrue "solo RPG" stories and most likely made up by faggots that WISH they were in a real RPG group.

20% is true shit with tons of homebrew "LULZ DEAD" and "YOU ARE HERO, YOU ARE HERO".

The remaining 9999999999999999999% is better done in GURPS
>>
>>48832066
Did you mean to post that in some other thread?
>>
File: 1466570656583.gif (166KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1466570656583.gif
166KB, 500x281px
>>48832066
>>
>>48831946

Because brightshot is just another super-op homebrew of Existing Thing but SO MUCH KEWLER +100
>>
File: Beast of a Thousand Faces.jpg (222KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Beast of a Thousand Faces.jpg
222KB, 768x1024px
>>48776666
The Beast of A Thousand Faces

A slaaneshi herald daemon who often changed his forms for no discernible reason. Pic related (Drawn by a /tg/ drawfag, bless 'em) was when he was first seen as the BBEG of a Dark Heresy game.

I had him show up a few IRL years later as a semi-helpful NPC in a Black Crusade game, where the PC's were escaping from a prison world that an Inquisitor used to keep high-value and high-danger subjects in stasis for study and research.

That game was a fun (if sadly short) one, had an Imperial Guard sniper fuck up the party's Chaos Marine because he had a plasma gun and the guardsman outranged him and rigged up booby traps of grenades and detpacks when he started taking fire back.
>>
>>48830473
Arbites are totally cops. They're just FEDERAL cops, not local cops.
>>
>>48833000
>>48830473
And if the planet is lawless and/or important enough, or they feel things have degenerated far enough, the Arbites may declare martial law, install the precinct head as acting planetary governor, and temporarily act as normal cops slash Judges from Judge Dredd until order can be restored via sufficient jackbootery. And no Arbites precinct head has ever declared martial law on shaky legal grounds because he didn'y like how a planet was being run or just to seize power. Such behavior is totally unheard of.
>>
>>48776666
Cap'n Blacktoof.

Big ol' freeboota bastard who was actually a press-ganged Snakebite that had risen to command with good old fashioned Orky savagery. Loved to raid feral worlds for dangerous, horrifying creatures and lots of good choppy loot. Got his epithet because, in the interest of being a roight proppa pirate, he got himself a bitey squig for a shoulder pet and the thing had ripped off most of the left side of his face. His teef just kept growing into the new space, so the left side of his face was a mass of broken, rotten, jagged teeth.
>>
>>48828855
be a jolly murderer guy who's got to pay his debts to the big friendly boss K-Man with a couple hundred skulls, nothing fancy. And he also wants to convert his buddies to the most practical chaos god there is.
But if you insult him, his friends, or his god... yeah, no.
just no
fuck you
with a chain-ax
stop running
bloody coward
>>
>>48776666
Grigori Valkova. Players were a small time wolf pack that stumbled onto a huge haul, the promise of a Macguffin that could make them a regional power, and a Warrant of Trade.
Valkova was a captain in the wolf pack and an equal of the PCs, a vicious voidborn pirate and Darth Vader clone who was too bloodthirsty for the others' tastes, but still an ally. They figured he'd try to stab them in the back someday, but always figured he'd be relatively predictable when he did it. Unfortunately, he caught scent of the big haul first and seeded the area with his people and turned it into an Isstvan style kill zone. He killed the fleet commodore and nearly killed the PCs, then started building his own pirate fleet through warped charisma, unspeakable brutality, and a willingness to throw scads of money at very scary people. He was also very slowly going reaver over time and losing any sense of restraint or empathy at all.
>>
>>48831946
>photovisor negates the effect of photon-flash grenades

Only good-quality ones, and in that case they would negate it. Even a poor-quality photovisor would provide a bonus here, as it's just light.

>>48831784
>Brightshot seems like a little too good of a replacement for the grenade version.

Well, the trade-off is that it's centered around the firer, and cannot be thrown. You have to have direct line of sight with the target, meaning you have to expose yourself to properly benefit.

But yeah, it's situational. In dark confines of caves, it's really, really powerful, but in bright daylight it's not all that useful, especially in really heavy terrain when most people can avoid it.

>>48831802
Why don't you actually, you know, make them Blinded?

because my GM ruled it that way. Blinded itself made more sense, but hey, I wasn't gonna throw away an advantage.

That said, you're right, Blinded is way more appropriate.

>Eh, I'm not a fan. It's funky, and gets funkier with the old Scatter rules.
That's fair. I haven't actually tested this one yet on the tabletop. Real life is another story so it's not very polished. Revision is a good idea.
>>
>>48832628
>all homebrew is bad and horrible and anybody who tries it is wrong

And people wonder why creativity is dying in this hobby.
>>
>>48833881
>His teef just kept growing into the new space, so the left side of his face was a mass of broken, rotten, jagged teeth.

Absolutely disgusting.

I like it. Tell me he gets a Fear bonus for that one.
>>
>>48834060
Nice.

My party had a shipment of Plasma Guns get stolen off their ship by a random Reaver Captain I rolled up for them to fight. They lost badly to him, and, as he's the only person who ever robbed them and got away with it, the party marked the guy for death. Now I've fully fleshed out The Flensed King, Leader of the Bladed Teeth warband, and his Plasma-equipped soldiers have royally fucked with their holdings and colonies. He's building up a true fleet of his own now, and he's actually acquired a Grand Cruiser that he uses as a mobile fortress.

They hate this guy with a passion, and it's great.
>>
>>48835513
Of course he did! He earned that shit, too. He was solidly warboss-sized by the time the players ran into him and the Seneschal went from 'let's clear a path' to 'shit, I just convinced him we're FIGHTING' after his usual solution (semi-automatic bolter salvo) failed to, uh, be a solution.

It was the first time my crew blundered into a fight and *actually chose to retreat*
>>
>>48835682
>It was the first time my crew blundered into a fight and *actually chose to retreat*

See, I have intentionally thrown shit at the party that I KNOW they can't handle, just to prove to them that sometimes retreat is the reasonable choice.

The trick is to allow them to observe this enemy RIP AND TEAR or what have you through either an ally or through a different NPC or enemy (such as a Daemonic-Possessed Slaughter Cruiser ripping through an Ork raider fleet like it was tissue paper) so they can realize they're in deep shit before they're forced to commit to one action or another. Then, if they continue to make foolish choices, they get punished for it with the villain throwing everything they have at them.

They have since learned caution, and having them act like "normal" people really, really makes the game more interesting.
>>
Does Jaded talent make you immune to non-daemonic creatures' Fear rating, or is it purely narrative?
>>
>>48837776
Yes.
>>
>>48837798
You're doing that on purpose, aren't you?
>>
>>48837843
It makes you immune to fear from non-demonic things as written in the description of the talent.
>>
>>48837881
Only in narrative or in combat encounters too?
>>
>>48837910
Yes
>>
>>48837910
>It makes you immune to Fear

Nigga it's literally spelled out for you in the rulebook.
>>
Planning to run a Rogue Trader game soon. Player rolled up an Explorator from a Forge World, a former Scapegrace whose awful secret is that they're tainted. Scored a 20 on Int and a high T, too.

They rolled Degenerate Mind for their mutation. It didn't even hurt their Int that bad, and now they've got From Beyond. They're sitting on an Int over 50 and something like a 45 Toughness, with good Ballistics Skill (their WS, thankfully, is pretty average)

How absurd is this character likely to get?
>>
>>48837990
>Explorator
Very, though that goes for any tech priest or similar character in any of the systems.
>>
>>48837957
>Nigga it's literally spelled out for you in the rulebook.

Negro, doesn't it make you wonder why a talent that takes a whole layer of threat out of roughly two thirds of enemies that have so easily available?

It's Tier 1 in systems that tier talents, same as Resistance Fear, some character archetypes get it at chargen. While Fearless, it's logical conclusion, is Tier 3, and has a drawback while Jaded has not. Does it really not strike as odd or imbalanced? Does it not come to your mind that there may be some nuance, ommited or left out and clarified somewhere else?
>>
>>48837990
Pretty crazy, but then again they've got to tread a thin line or they're found out, and the discovery of Chaos taint is never going to go well for the person involved if the rest of the party is relatively loyalist.

If the character ends up going full Chaos Corruption, you could always have them come back as an enemy of some sort later on for the party to hunt down. That actually might get them very involved in the campaign.
>>
>>48838262
>if the rest of the party is relatively loyalist.
Knowing RT players, that's a big 'if'. That said, in my experience, RT players tend to go full Xenos-love really quickly but continue to react to Chaos with instinctual "FUCK YOU DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE"
>>
>>48838262
Well, it should be fun. Another player's current concept is playing a missionary from a hive that was converted into a shrine world, based on his homebrew Sororitas order - basically, a Sister was stranded in the Underhive and assumed KIA after slaying a corrupted Slaaneshi cultist. She was badly injured in the fall, and the hivers who found her recognized the sigils of the Emperor and nursed her back to health. She ended up turning them into an impromptu militia to cleanse the Underhive and turn it into a bastion of militant faith, then contacted the Inquisition personally and offered the unconditional surrender of her militia to be judged as a proof of their faith, lest they be branded as traitors for what had admittedly been a bloody underground war for the salvation of the hive.

When her cult was found to be properly pious, they were inducted as a sub-Order of her former Convent and given the task of bringing the Emperor's grace to both the rest of the hive world and, you know, everywhere else. That's all a few centuries back now, but the end result is a whole bunch of real fervently religious hivers who legitimately believe that the Emperor literally lifted them up from damnation and barbarism by sending them an angel.
>>
>>48776141
How do you run Deathwatch as a game? How do you structure it? What keeps it interesting past 'here is your enemy, deploy and attack'?
>>
>>48838337
>RT players tend to go full Xenos-love really quickly but continue to react to Chaos with instinctual "FUCK YOU DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE"

That's literally our party lol. Well, they're not Xenos "lovers," but they have no problems stealing Xenos tech and selling it to the Mechanicus or the Ordo Xenos for mad rep and favors.

Recently my group managed to broker a peace agreement between a Forge World that was studying Xenos tech and the Ordo Xenos, who wanted that tech, by giving them literally a cargo-bay full of Eldar weapons, armor, and perfectly preserved corpses and a shockingly large amount of captured, broken-down Necrons (TL;DR the Tomb World they discovered was completely dead through a random tomb world creator I designed, was just luck of the dice, so they plundered the ever-loving shit out of it and made off like bandits before getting attacked by Eldar). In exchange, the Mechanicus would get to research the stuff, while the Ordo Xenos would have full access to their findings and would be allowed to be present at all times during the investigations.

Not quite sure how I want to reward them for that. I've got a week to figure it out.

NEVER should have allowed them to get TWO Stasis-Holds, but oh well
>>
>>48838391
This is the same problem I'm running into for a one-shot right now. They land, clear an LZ for further troops, kill their target, PLOT TWIST, and have to fight off ayys... but all that's really there is combat, and I don't know how to insert something besides combat in there.
>>
>>48838391
Remember, the Deathwatch is a full-response crisis team. They're the branch Militant of the Ordo Xenos, which means that they are called in for *any* crisis that a Xenos Inquisitor feels necessitates the Deathwatch in response. On the Grey Front, for example, the Deathwatch may be called in to supervise temporary peace negotiations between humans and Tau, to ensure that the Tau aren't working xenos trickery or taking advantage of the situation for some strategic gain that would threaten the Imperium as a whole.

It's also worth layering in some mystery or additional threats even in a straight combat scenario. What starts as a 'cold trade between the Dark Eldar and slavers' scenario may end up being revealed as, say, a Night Lords plot to use the xenos corsairs to spread terror across the sector for some dark ritual. Remember, the Imperium can call in ANY available Space Marines if all they need is a big fucking hammer. The Deathwatch gets called in when the Imperium needs surgical precision... administered in the form of an ice pick to the skull.
>>
>>48838531
Also, keep in mind that a combat scenario can be complicated by requiring the Deathwatch to extract valuable and fragile cargo. Any Space Marines could be called in for a hard drop on a vulnerable Tau position - but only the Deathwatch has the necessary training to isolate and detain the Shas'O leading the charge so that he can be turned over for interrogation, providing vital information about the enemy's future deployments and strategic objectives. Sure, ANY chapter of Space Marines can offer a handful of highly-trained specialists to carve through a Tyranid vanguard - but only the Deathwatch maintains xenobiologists in the ranks of its Apothecaries who can identify the unique mutations expressed by this hive and develop a countertoxin before it's too late.
>>
>>48838391

>How do you structure it

By missions with timeskips inbetween them?

>What keeps it interesting past 'here is your enemy, deploy and attack'?

Challenges that can't be overcome by brute strength.
RPing rivalries between chapters.
Situations where characters end-up outside of their comfort zone, i.e. non-combat situations. Like interacting with other imperial institutions, as official envoys from Deathwatch or by force of circumstances, when it was not planned but there is a need.
Double layer to a seemingly straightforward mission.
Complications with extraction or insertion.
>>
>>48838531
>They're the branch Militant of the Ordo Xenos, which means that they are called in for *any* crisis that a Xenos Inquisitor feels necessitates the Deathwatch in response.
They're also Space Marines, and Space Marines bow to no one. An Inquisitor they don't like is very likely to get a canned "Sorry, all kill-teams are busy, please stand by" message, or receive the most expendable and least-liked kill-team around. Or the Watch Commander might just say 'fuck off'. Imperial politics are fun.
>>
>>48838134
It's essentially there to allow players to not RP / mechanically suffer horror over character death, intense fighting, cult sacrifices, etc. Mundanely fearful things.
>>
>>48838637
Space Marines are not legally beholden to the inquisition like the rest of the Imperium is, but the Deathwatch draws a huge portion of its unique advantages from its close ties to the Ordo Xenos.

They have the power to deny or delay requests, especially if they can demonstrate a more pressing need elsewhere, but even the Space Marines cannot remain fully aloof from an organization which itself has the power to pretty firmly deny them access to Imperial materiel at will, especially since the Space Marines are deliberately organized in such a way that they are dependent on other branches of the Imperium to operate at fullest capacity as part of the general restructuring of the Imperium to prevent a second Heresy.

tl;dr an Inquisitor is going to have to make a really fucking unreasonable request for the Deathwatch to dismiss it out of hand
>>
>>48838637
>>48838711

Actually, the Grey Knights omnibus goes into this in a pretty good way. Both the Deathwatch and Grey Knights are technically independent chapters of Space Marines, but they are extremely intertwined with the Inquisition to the point where they work alongside them regularly. Because of this, they will almost always do exactly what the Big I tells them to do - because it's their duty, and because they recognize that they both have parallel goals that are best served together.

However, they are also still technically independent, and have their own Chapter Master(s) and traditions that non-Astartes are not a part of. Just because they often defer to the Inquisition does NOT mean they are automatically compelled to do so each and every single time, and that's something a great many Inquisitors take for granted. The main character of the series found it refreshing that one of the Inquisitors (whom he would later come to greatly respect) ASKED for their help and for what they could spare, rather than demanded it as most Inquisitors do. He appreciated that she respected their authority and theoretical autonomy.

I'd imagine it's largely no different for Deathwatch.
>>
File: 1419128231631.jpg (100KB, 759x1085px) Image search: [Google]
1419128231631.jpg
100KB, 759x1085px
When a Space Marine is chosen for the Deathwatch, what level of experience or veterancy do they normally posses? Are any of them ever officers, veterans, etc of their respective Chapters?
>>
>>48840998
Certainly could be. It's about deeds as much as it is just experience, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>48840998
depends on the chapter involved. deathwatch doesn't choose who they get. The chapter itself chooses who they send. of course they wanna send good dudes because sending shitters is bad for their reputation. If the marine comes back they return with elite training, a nifty pauldron and power armor arm, and some tech/goodies.

So for example, the space wolf in kill team cassius (from the deathwatch overkill team) is just a blood claw, he's young and good at killing but he had an abrasive as fuck personality and was an obnoxious braggart, so the space wolves sent him to the deathwatch where he'll either die or grow up, or even if he doesn't he won't be annoying them for some years at least.
>>
>>48841077
>of course they wanna send good dudes because sending shitters is bad for their reputation
Although occasionally, the local Leandros gets sent to a Watch Station literally on the other side of the galaxy to make sure he's never seen again.
>>
>>48779877
My Ogryn did this several times while closing the distance with Tau Fire Warriors.

Each time resulted in not only zero damage to my Ogryn, but no damage to the Fire Warriors either. This left the Fire Warriors very frightened/confused and my Ogryn quite angry.
>>
>>48844506
How did he not get shredded by pulse weapon fire?
>>
>>48844569
it only took him about 3 turns to close the distance because we were fighting Tau in relatively close quarters inside a mansion.

Also Bullgryn armor
>>
>>48844569
BS15 against a running/charging target, anon. Tau are pretty shit shots.
>>
When you think you need to shut down your game because College is coming up.
>>
Anyone think the way that the DaoT has been wanked is a bit overblown? A decade ago they were just higher-tech humans who knew their shit. But now people expect them to be able to match pre-fall eldar and War in Heaven Necrons.
>>
>>48845187
Dude, even in the original lore, DAoT humanity was said to rein unchallenged in the stars by any other force, and this includes pre-Fall Eldar of the time.
They successfully took the entire galaxy and held it for some time. Lore-wise, the only group that is described to have greater scientific progress was Necrons. Pre-Fall Eldar do not have much of their tech shown or explained, and Deldar, while having a portion of it, clearly do not have the upper crust of what was.
>>
>>48845187
I view it mostly as progress down different tech trees, Eldar have technology to work in synergy with their psychic abilities while humanity progressed down the engineering tree. They are both advanced in their own way.

Almost on the topic of technology, I was thinking of using a adventure seed in the Creature anathema for Dark Heresy. There is an Eldar corsair with retinue seeking to recover a soul stone from an inquisitor.
As the acolytes are currently on Scintilla I was toying with idea of sending them with the Guardsmen shipped to the Koronus Expanse and be tasked with ensuring the soul stone's safe passage and minimize snooping from crew men.
How do Eldar prefer to board?
>>
>>48845512
This. DAoT should be equal parts wonderful and terrifying.

The only force that beat humanity was the Necrons (Old Ones don't count), but the Necrons basically "finished" science. Except for biology, which they should have paid more attention to in hindsight.
>>
>>48845666
>How do Eldar prefer to board?
The real question is how many of them are ALREADY on board, anon.
If the Eldar already know where the stone is, why would they wait to strike, or to move assets into place?
A small force of Pathfinders/Rangers are already on board. The ship itself is attacked by elements of the corsair's fleet, which is the signal to recover the stone.
Que mass panic of a void assault, while a much smaller battle takes place inside.
>>48845668
>Except for biology, which they should have paid more attention to in hindsight.
Alright, I giggled.
>>
>>48845668
>This. DAoT should be equal parts wonderful and terrifying.
Personally, I use it for just straight up space magic with the thinnest possible veneer of scifi. A metal staff covered in glowing runes that can hack any Imperial system, or an armored gauntlet that can throw lightning with no apparent power source, are the kinds of artifacts my players occasionally find. Incredible and totally inexplicable space magic.
And just as often they find things that make them wonder what the fuck DAoT Humanity was smoking, like a glove that extrudes monofilament wires from nowhere when your hand flexes just so, or a metavirus that makes you literally puke your guts out, or some other pointlessly awful and excessive weapon of terror.
>>
>>48846552
How would a DAoT ship be like? Gargantuan and capable of snuffing out anything targeted in an instant?
>>
>>48846704
Or the exact opposite.
A ship the size of a escort with monstrous firepower on par with a ship of the line.
Iirc, it may be fancanon, but Imperial battleships are retrofitted DAoT transports and cruisers, which is why they are nearly impossible to replace.
>>
>>48846552
Oh, yes, absolutely. It's sort of what I meant. Clarke's Third Law it up all the way.

I mean, technically, my group found a benevolent AI due to being shut down during the Bad Times. It's now installed in their ship. There's absolutely NO WAY I've planned this to go ass-up.

Hell, even Heresy-era gear can be pretty amazing. Volkite is pretty much magic, and artificer quality then is impossible in M41.

That said, in this game, ancient things awakening has been a bit of a running theme... maybe the promise of ancient tech would get them running.
>>
>>48846704
The Ark Mechanicus has a gun that shoots black holes and time weapons.
>>
>>48846757
Pretty sure that's fanfiction in the same vein as "The Russ is a tractor". Battleships being nearly impossible to replace has a much simpler logic behind it: They're dozen-km-long monstrosities that represent an enormous outlay of time, effort, and rare resources to construct, and are far too expensive to mass manufacture. That's entirely leaving aside the possibility that the Imperium forgot how to make some crucial part.
>>
>>48846757
>>48846810
I must be really out of touch with the 40k universe spaceship info, I thought it was all lasers and giant slugrounds
>>
>>48847307
Usually, yes.

But The Ark Mechanicus is a bullshit-powerful DAoT ship. It's bound to do some weird shit.
>>
>>48847307
The Mechanicus has always had crazy shit up its sleeve. Even then, the weapons the guy was describing are pretty rare, and the Mechanicus would never tell anybody outside their order about it.

The problem is scale and feudalism within the Mechanicus, as nobody wants to share anything and then have their work stolen.
>>
>>48847627
I wonder if the Mechanicus would damn Edison, for being a filthy patent thief, or praise him, for being a SUCCESSFUL filthy patent thief.
>>
>>48847307
Even in "standard" ship combat, there's a lot of crazy shit, like massive plasma sprays, enough missiles to make Macross feel weak and impotent, BFG style torpedo screen tactics, and my personal favorite, shooting enormous melta bombs out of those giant slug throwers.
And of course it's all run by slave labor, because slaves are cheaper than building a fucking loading rail.
>>
>>48847726
>And of course it's all run by slave labor, because slaves are cheaper than building a fucking loading rail.

Depends on the ship. Some ships hand-load everything, but other ships have almost completely automated processes. Both take about the same time to operate, so there isn't any "real" advantage over the other.
>>
What is the most ridiculous character you guys have ever played/seen played?

My buddy ran an overthrown Necron Lord in our RT game, and while it was hilarious, it was super-broken in everything but social situations. He did all sorts of crazy shit, and he left the party after hijacking a broken, minor Tomb World and installing himself as ruler, then charging into the Webway to kill Eldar. He hasn't been since.
>>
>>48847726
>slaves
You mean proud crewmen who's families have been serving those stations and bringing His furty to the enemies of the Imperium for millennia. What has your family done?
>>
>>48847941
You don't waste good voidsmen loading the guns, anon. You use slaves for that. The voidsman whose family have lived on this ship for millenia is the one holding the whip.
>>
>>48847973
> Not having a clan-kin crew
> Not having a legion of jovial Cajuns living all over the ship
> Not getting to count wedding officiant and christener among your official duties
> Not disgorging a bunch of angry shotlas-armed swamp people into combat against pirates who thought this was gonna be a simple board-and-loot.

Fuck's sake, Anon, that's the Emperor's signature on that warrant. Don't waste it.
>>
Time to try and get to this church so the entire party can make a shitton of fear checks! Then take on probably the dozens of mutants that have infested the place all to acertain that the priest is dead!
YAY, WHOOO, can't wait!
>>
>>48848515

>living crew
>not having a battle automata crew
>not having to worry about rebellions or cults on your ship
>not having complete immunity to chaos and scrapcode
>not enjoying the quiet of a hundred thousand automata patrolling your ship
>not flooding your enemies with swarms of battle automata, ripping them apart in an unstoppable wall of steel

C'mon senpai get it together. We replaced our crew and never looked back.
>>
>>48849652
>first space combat of the game
>so many casualties we have a mutiny
That game was dumb
>>
>>48849652
>crew rating capped at 40 in the best of cases
>-10 to BS and command tests
>getting infected by heretek and necron virii
>Haywire quality

Smugtaupictfeed.jpg
>>
>>48847672
I chuckled.
>>
>>48851577

Wut? Crew rating for battle automata crew is at best 50, and there's no penalty to BS or command. it's just REALLY hard to get. And they're immune to heretek scrapcode and virii.

The Necron and Haywire stuff though is an issue, I'll grant that.
>>
File: Necron_tomb_ship.jpg (124KB, 1600x775px) Image search: [Google]
Necron_tomb_ship.jpg
124KB, 1600x775px
>>48851685
But if you're fighting Necrons in space you're pretty much near fucked anyways. At least from what I know about the wh40k navys. Which in retrospect isn't much.
>>
>>48851829
>>48851685
Is there even stats for Necron ships? I know they've stated Necrons themselves in the various books in other lines, but the ships are not.
>>
>>48851685
My bad, I thought of the servitor crew from battlefleet koronus.
Which book contains the battle automata ?

>>48851829
You can also find necron malware in DAoT archeotech, due to some archeologists not updating their firewalls and galaxy-wide ftl internet.
>>
>>48822592
Let him play a Kill marine with a mission that fits. Acompany an iquisitor or rouge trader maybe? Look into tge fluff behind Kill marines maybe there is some more stuff written how to fit them in, i've only glanced at them and know they are a one man kill team.
>>
>>48851978

They're in The Fringe is Yours. We made real good with the Adeptus Mechanicus for using them, but ended up really pissing off the ecclesiarchy. Worth it though.
>>
>>48851857

There's some in the homebrew in the OP. Nothing official.
>>
What do you throw at the players in a space hulk?
>>
>>48852491
Genestealers
>>
>>48852526
Well, besides that
>>
>>48852491
Random stuff, often rolled for out of sight from the players.

My favorite so far has been deranged former crew members of the ships collided, who have created their own, entirely new culture. They're usually well-armed but almost feral in their approach to outsiders.
>>
>>48852631
Orks, obtuse servitors and defense systems, daemons, environmental hazards, mutants (especially ghilliams), the thing, mad/feral crew descendants, various xenos, warp ghosts, reality bending, raiders exploring the hulk, rivals, deadly diseases,...
>>
>>48852631
Daemons
>>
If your new PC for Death Watch was going to be the de facto kill team leader, which chapter and career would you take for them?
>>
File: Necron_Cairn_Class_Tombship.gif (29KB, 512x200px) Image search: [Google]
Necron_Cairn_Class_Tombship.gif
29KB, 512x200px
>>48851857
Well the only lore we have says they can easily beat a imperial battleship. But only 7 have been seen in lore.
>>
>>48853903
Ultramarine Tactical
>>
>>48854022

Is that as boring as I fear it is? I've never played or read Deathwatch, was going to start when I get off work, just trying to think of team leader character concepts that work well with other chapters.
>>
>>48854400
They're the best leaders with putting the two floating +5s from Ultramarines into willpower and fellowship.
>>
>>48853903
White Scars Stormseer

But that's just because White Scars Stormseers are rad, and Librarians get a pretty good set of Squad Mode oaths.

Generally speaking, the team should rotate leadership depending on who's got the best set of practical knowledge for the mission - a Tactical is a safe bet for leadership usually, but witch-hunting is better led by a librarian, and a defensive deployment is likely going to be turned over to a Devastator.

No matter what though, the most important stats for a leader are Fellowship (because it affects Cohesion) and Willpower (because it helps resist things that would make you lose Cohesion). High WP is another reason Librarians are a solid option for leadership aside from Tacticals.
>>
>>48855247

Stat boosts overcome class specialization.
>>
>>48855315
Generally, yes. But 'what would you actually find fun to play' is as important a consideration as 'what's the absolute most mechnically optimal choice', in most cases. Many classes can be functional leaders, even if they're not mechanically the best. And Tacticals from chapters other than the Ultramarines can also make good leaders since any Tactical has the option to share his Chapter doctrines, and a lot of those squad mode powers are really good for certain types of teams.
>>
>>48855247
Tacticals can also share their chapter-specific squad mode abilities with others in the kill team without them needing to be from the same chapter with a command test.

Pretty sure ultramarines can reroll it too due to their solomode ability.
>>
New thread when?
>>
new Thread >>48855620
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.