[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your stance on drow PCs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 25

File: 2609077[1].jpg (89KB, 477x800px) Image search: [Google]
2609077[1].jpg
89KB, 477x800px
What's your stance on drow PCs?
>>
They fucking suck.

They're like elves but worse.
>>
>>48774563
I think drow are pretty cool but ive never had a pc play one.
As a dm i'd have to work with the player so that we are on the same page on what to expect.
>>
>>48774563
Literally depends on the setting.
In mine, they're mostly insane or at least have a personality quirk due to being tainted by the goddess of evil.
>But throwing off the oppression of my evil kin-
Your evil kin that lie in the mountain literally eat babies and sacrifice people outside of the mountain for power. They've been so tainted by the goddess of evil and chaos that they can't even hold a civilization together without help from dragonborn or people who exploit them. Most people who live outside the mountain don't even know how bad it really is, which is your only saving grace, really, because there are about a hundred drow in the whole world that don't live directly outside the mountain or in it.
You need to list a psychic compulsion for your character to fulfill- I'll approve it if I think it fits. In exchange, if you fail a saving throw against arcane magic, you can re-roll it once every short rest.
>>
>>48774563
They are okay in evil campaigns and campaigns that take place outside of any settlements.

Outside of that when a player tries to pull the ''good drow'' shit i tell him his character is now a wood or savage elf.
>>
>>48774563
Perfectly fine, but when in towns they have to disguise, or not enter.

I also lock them from classes a drow wouldn't be. Like a barbarian.
>>
>>48774563
What's your stance on My Dick?
>>
>>48774563
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>48774563
I think they've got less bugs than windows PCs, but a lot more spiders.
>>
If you're doing standard drow than mention to the PC that they're going to be reviled by most right thinking surface dwellers. If they're smart they'll invest in a fucking robe to cover up their shame or if they're dumb and autismal as fuck they'll drizzit their way into interesting social strife.
>>
>>48774690
>having a goddess of evil

Shit DM. Personally, I'll take a Drow PC over a Dragonborn PC any day.
>>
>>48774781
>I also lock them from classes a drow wouldn't be. Like a barbarian.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read on /tg/.
>>
>>48774865
In her defense, it took thousands of years of people not listening to her for her to finally flip her lid and go full nutbar.
Besides, I picked the setting up from someone else and ran with it because they wanted to quit DMing.
>>
File: drow.jpg (95KB, 564x1220px) Image search: [Google]
drow.jpg
95KB, 564x1220px
>>48774563
Either edgelords or sluts there's no middle ground
>>
>>48774899
Edgelord sluts?
>>
>>48774899
Why not slutty edgelords?
>>
>>48774690

You know I used to think shit like this was the stupidest thing one can imagine. Evil races that literally kick dogs, have sex slaves, want to eradicate everyone else... oh for fucks sake, how childish are you.

But then again, we have islam and ISIS.

So. I don't know what to think anymore. It's clearly not childish anymore. It's scary and real.
>>
>>48774563
I like playing my drow sorcerer as a very, very disoriented foreigner with a romanian accent. Also very ruthless and scheming.
>>
>>48774932
I'm not even going to claim it's good writing, it just makes sense in the context of 'trapped in a mountain where your mind is slowly eaten away by dark magic and the only company you have is people who are as crazy as you or worse'.
Which is pretty much a thing for high fantasy people take for granted because PCs want to kill Evul people without reservation for that sweet XP.
>>
>>48774932
The notion that this is a recent thing is pretty funny.
>>
>>48774932
>Evil races
>Islam and ISIS

You *almost* had a point. Then you conflated ideology with race.
>>
>>48775102
Well, you could take the view that the fractious and violent nature of the arab race makes them the ideal carriers for the disease of Islam.
>>
>>48775129
You could make the same argument with blacks given how much of a war torn shithole Africa can be. Or there's SJWs who right now are probably telling a white man that his race is evil because of colonialism.

What I'm saying is you can have an evil race, but it's more often than not going to be through supernatural means like with the mountain dwelling drow being driven mad. Ideologies like Islam are not the same as a race and not every arab or black subscribes to Islamist ideology. So if you have a race that's evil across the board based on ideology, that's some extremely lazy writing and you would have been better off with corrupted by evil gods.
>>
>>48774932

Welcome to real life, where most people don't go along to get along and live in ways that are incomprehensible to your typical sheltered white neighborhood bubbleboy liberal.

ISIS is almost cartoonish, though, they throw gays off buildings and blow people up with dynamite, and one of their executioners literally uses a Bleach sword he bought off ebay and scrawled Islamic writing on.
>>
>>48774563
I don't use the shit standard drow so they're fine.
>>
>>48775102

You *almost* weren't a historically ignorant faggot, but then you forgot that ISIS is repeating a cycle that has taken place in the Middle East since the onset of Islam, by nature of its creed and history.

First, you'll have a unified Islamic overarching empire (ISIS specifically wants to establish a new Caliphate). Eventually, it will fracture, decay, and fall apart. At its nadir, a new country or tribe takes over and re-establishes the Caliphate. This has happened more times than I can count offhand with the Middle East. Only this time, there was no faction ready to take the reigns and unite the Middle East. None of them can do a thing about Israel, the United States controls the governments of most of the West-compatible ones, and the Saudis are too weak despite their wealth and influence to do it themselves. In these circumstances, it was inevitable that a non-state actor would try to perpetuate the cycle, and would find the support to make a go at it, because it's something the people of the Middle East are accustomed to. The ideal solution would be to propel a US ally into the leadership position, but the powers that be have waited too fucking long and benefited too much from keeping the ME fragmented, and all of the nations we could potentially use are self-destructing.

My point being, ISIS exists as a direct next logical step of Islam in these circumstances. If the ability to reestablish caliphate is denied them, the Muslims will do it themselves with violence. It's the way of their religion, just as Christians and Christian-cultured nontheists will remain passive cucks turning the other cheek and practicing understanding until they finally chimp out and go full crusade.
>>
>>48775213
>because of colonialism
"You shone a beacon of truth, justice, science and technology out into the world for hundreds of years!"

"How dare you? You should be ashamed, you fucking white male!"

>if you have a race that's evil across the board based on ideology, that's some extremely lazy writing
It's true. No race is going to be evil in its entirety, and so there are always going to be exceptions to the rule - but certain things are going to hae affinities, and some of those affinities are going to at least appear unsavoury to our subjective morality.

And so to answer the OP's question, that's why I don't object to drow characters, as a rule.
>>
>>48775129

This is why Iran should be in charge. Persians aren't Arabs, and US-Iran emnity is a political construct driven by American politicians sucking Israeli cock.

>>48775213
>supernatural means

What about worshiping an eldritch black stone from the depths of space, that they're all required to enter the AoE of at least once in their lives?
>>
>>48775213

This is very true. Race is something a person can't help, but they can and should be held accountable for the ideology they chose to adopt (unless they're threatened into it). However, that's just a matter of physical traits, Arab culture has problems that can't be solved just by forcing them to adopt democracy.
>>
>>48775375
But nothing you said equates ISIS and Islam to being a race. That's my problem with the comparison. You can't say ISIS and Islam are comparable to an evil race because they are a group and the ideology that group bases itself on. That group, however, doesn't encompass all Arabs, nor is it its own separate race.

>>48775389
Hey I didn't say they were right to criticize colonialism, I was just sort of getting to the point that historic actions/ideologies are not the same thing as races.

>>48775411
If this eldritch black stone had a role in the creation of or the current state of this race, and it itself (or the entity it draws power from) is an evil entity and directly influencing the thoughts and actions of every member of the race, then yeah. That makes sense, really.
>>
>>48775458
Lawrence, is that you?
>>
>>48775481
>Hey I didn't say they were right to criticize colonialism
I didn't say you did, mate. I get you. I just like to take in the absurdity of their stance. It's like suddenly the whole world has come to hold the Enlightenment in disdain.
>>
>>48775411
>and US-Iran emnity is a political construct driven by American politicians sucking Israeli cock.

Well, let's not forget that we don't absolutely dominate their state in every possible way. Don't go overboard in your jewhate, Paul, there's realpolitik to consider.
>>
I've never seen why Drizzt would be such a rare and unusual occurrence. It sucks being a drow. It sucks more being a drow male. It sucks the most being a drow male commoner. If you're talented enough to have PC stats and a PC class, why not just leave? Sure, the surfacers hate you, but everything in the Underdark hates you too. You don't even have to be morally repelled by drow culture, too. Maybe you just want to skip the beatings, so you choke your mistress to death, take a bunch of your warrior homies and form a bandit gang on the surface. Or if you're a Bard you can be ruling whatever the local monsters are within a month.

>>48775424

Please stop false-flagging SJW, /pol/ is a board of peace.
>>
I had one back in the 80's.

We were playing in the Greyhawk milieu. He was a male Drow. The idea was that a number of males were rebelling against the matriarchal rule of Lolth by worshipping the elder elemental gods. They formed a secret order of monk/wizards and fighter/clerics who were trying to overthrow the matriarchy by destroying Lolth.

So my character was a monk/wizard who escaped a purge by the priestesses of Lolth and had to flee to the surface world. He joined an adventuring party, hoping to gain strength and allies to return to the Vault and defeat the church of Lolth.

So of course, after passing through the classic Slavelords / Giants / Descent to the Depths adventures the ended up in the Vault of the Drow and eventually the Queen of the Demonweb Pits, where the party defeats Lolth.

The matriarchy was overthrown, but overall Drow society was still a mess...the leder elemental gods were just as evil as Lolth was after all...
>>
>>48774563
Fine as long as they worship Elistraee. The one God the Drow have who realizes that shits all retarded because of her moms spider fetish and she's gotta fix it with swords and nudity.
>>
File: Slav drow.png (589KB, 1332x3400px) Image search: [Google]
Slav drow.png
589KB, 1332x3400px
>>
>>48774563
I had drow just be working class elves along with some other barbarian elves in a setting once, now a half-drow ended up in Barovia from that setting. It's been pretty good since Barovians hate him for being a dusk elf, dusk elves hate him for not being a dusk elf, vistani are cool with him, and other people from D&D realms are super suspicious of him.
>>
>>48774563
Never seen one, no issue with it though
>>
>>48777093
was just going to post this myself
>>
>>48775389
>"You shone a beacon of truth, justice, science and technology out into the world for hundreds of years!"

Really? We're just going to ignore the atrocities committed in favor of lionizing rapists, deliberate destroyers of culture and happiness, and entire peoples?
>>
>>48775375
>unified Islamic overarching empire
Which is not ISIS, regardless of what they want. Strike 1.

>Eventually, it will fracture, decay, and fall apart.

How many Empires have actually survived since their inception to the present day?

Strike 2.

> At its nadir, a new country or tribe takes over and re-establishes the Caliphate.

I.e a tribe that now has no opponents capable of dominating them establishes a functional state. When has this not happened in other nations after the fall of kingdoms/empires?

Strike 3.

>This has happened more times than I can count offhand with the Middle East.

It has happened more times than can be counted everywhere.
>>
File: drow_by_cg_warrior-d6mw4hk.jpg (227KB, 725x900px) Image search: [Google]
drow_by_cg_warrior-d6mw4hk.jpg
227KB, 725x900px
>>48774563
Hey man, I respect anyone who actually wants to play as Drow with all the level adjustment and sunlight bullshit.
>>
Sure, why not?
>>
File: 1447.jpg (41KB, 231x223px) Image search: [Google]
1447.jpg
41KB, 231x223px
>>48775587
>I've never seen why Drizzt would be such a rare and unusual occurrence.

I think probably because if anyone deviates from the norm they get purged in some fashion. Keep in mind Drizzt was not only pretty much protected and covertly had some alternative morality instilled in him by Zaknafein, but he also inherited his mad skills which kept him alive.
>>
>>48774979
That sounds pretty cool bro. Kinda like a Slav Elf gangster?

Also on topic: one thing I want to run in a game sooner or later is a Drizzt clone. No, not really - just a drow pretending to be one to infiltrate surface society and do drow stuff. Let the party think she's praying to a different God and still getting spells from Lolth and all that sort of stuff.
>>
File: Depends on the setting.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Depends on the setting.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>>48774563
>>
>>48776920
>Eilistraee

Fuck that. She still only opens her priesthood to women and treats men as second-class citizens and concubines, but because she's sparkly and FREE and loves dancing in the moonlight people still fall for it. A CG-lesbian-focused faith is still unwelcoming to male drow, and worshiping her is basically being a cuck even if it is fun to watch the all-girl drow orgies.

Vhaeraun is where it's at.
>>
>>48780748
>Belt of genderchange
She accepts all Drow...with a little creativity
>>
>>48778804

I can hear the fatty, outraged SJW sigh in this post.

Everyone rapes, sweetheart. Everyone destroys other people's happiness. The Cherokee were committing genocide long before the palefaces came along, the Aztecs systematically murdered their neighbors and called it peace. Don't be so naive as to think for even a second that there were peaceful little hippy cultures where everyone was happy and enlightened until suddenly the big bad white man showed up and started murderraping people.

TL:DR don't be a cuck, Chuck.
>>
>>48778872

>Which is not ISIS, regardless of what they want. Strike 1.

Reading comprehension, strike 1. This is what ISIS is working for, not what it has accomplished.

>How many Empires have actually survived since their inception to the present day? Strike 2.

The United States of America. Also, congrats on ignoring the unusual cyclical nature of Middle Eastern politics, you really must have chosen something worthless to major in to talk with such authority about nothing.

>I.e a tribe that now has no opponents capable of dominating them establishes a functional state. When has this not happened in other nations after the fall of kingdoms/empires? Strike 3.

A state which takes over all of its neighbors and attempts to spread Islam worldwide. Yawn.

>It has happened more times than can be counted everywhere.

Not with the same regularity and the same exact pattern of behavior. In Europe, a kingdom that falls is generally absorbed up until very modern times, but only the Middle East goes from tiny fractious states to ONE supreme power and back again over, and over, and over again. Even in Europe at the height of its various empires, they were mostly outward-focused and never achieved true dominance of their region the way that, say, the Ottoman Turks ruled the Middle East.

I know you're trying to defend shitskins and claim that ISIS isn't about Islam, but Mohammed specifically commended that the Quran be spread by the sword, and that is what they will do whenever they have the power to do it in whatever land they are in until the day comes when there are no more Muslims.

Thank you for trying to Correct the Record, but we don't need your tumblrisms here.
>>
>>48780765
>female supremacy in any form.

Nah.

>becoming a woman just to join a religion

Nah.
>>
>>48780779
1) You were claiming that everyone criticizing colonialism was doing so because the people doing the colonizing were white. That's obvious bullshit when you look at even what happened to the aborigines on Australia.

Then there is, just for an example:

https://reddit.com/r/AskSocialScience/comments/4b6fgn/why_are_aboriginals_and_post_colonial_populations/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskSocialScience/comments/4so1rt/is_it_still_taboo_to_talk_about_the_positive/
>>
>>48780890

Well we know who's NOT a Drow
>>
File: lelf.png (842KB, 796x997px) Image search: [Google]
lelf.png
842KB, 796x997px
>>48780892
>Reddit
>Ask Social Science

Are you serious?
>>
Starting an all female group this fall, and two of the players so far are new players, whose only exposure to D&D so far are the Drizzt Do-Urden novels, so both are interested in playing Drow girls. got me thinking to set a campaign in Menzoberranzan.
>>
>>48781066
Aren't drow girls all bisexual dominatrixes?
>>
>>48781066
I say go for it, you'll probably have to prepare a lot of social encounters though
>>
>>48774563
Don't play D&D so don't care.
>>
>>48781101
>>48781112

Not quite sure yet, but i'm thinking it's likely to be a breakout or an 'escape from society' sort of story though. We'll see.
>>
Ok let me explain this race thing in terms you'll be able to relate too.

>Bees
>Wasps

Get it?

Sure a wasp can't help being a wasp but it's still a fucking wasp.
>>
>>48774895
Rule #1 of /tg/: You never have to explain yourself to anyone.
We all have shit taste here, anon.
>>
>>48774563
>2016
>Asking question that can't agitate anyone for past 10 years
Either you are too old to be still here or you are too young to remember.
>>
File: Eilistraee_-_DD.jpg (25KB, 250x371px) Image search: [Google]
Eilistraee_-_DD.jpg
25KB, 250x371px
>>48774563
One of my longest running characters ever was a priestess of Eilistraee. Only girl in my group, made teenage boys feel weird by playing a butt naked character. Good times.
>>
>>48781281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JFdt_8QvYA
>>
>>48775375
>This has happened more times than I can count offhand with the Middle East.

You only have two fingers?
>>
>>48781324
I like this way more than 'tits....' etc
>>
>>48781561

Not him, but I can think of three or four times it's happened.
>>
>>48775389
>implying many colonies weren't vastly superior and knowledgeable in different fields to imperial powers
>>
>>48780868
>Not with the same regularity and the same exact pattern of behavior. In Europe, a kingdom that falls is generally absorbed up until very modern times, but only the Middle East goes from tiny fractious states to ONE supreme power and back again over, and over, and over again. Even in Europe at the height of its various empires, they were mostly outward-focused and never achieved true dominance of their region the way that, say, the Ottoman Turks ruled the Middle East.

That's not how either Europe or the Middle East worked. Modern Europe came about because in the Middle Ages crown kingdoms became institutions, and if and when one was conquered by another that kingdom was incorporated as a separate state under a ruler who also happened to rule another separate state. This stems from the diplomatic and cultural legacy of Charlemagne and the Ottonians. Before then European states were no different in that they were fractious polities that sometimes ate each other until one or more super states appeared to reunite large swathes of territory for a short time.

The Umayyad Caliphate was a rarity no different than Charlemagne's kingdom. The Ottomans never achieved that level of expansive control and unity, and their only major acquisition beyond the petty Slavic or Turkish kingdoms of the Balkans or Anatolia was Mamluk Egypt. The rest, mostly in North Africa, were satellite vassal states with some colonial presence, while the Safavids and Moroccans commanded the rest of the Middle East.

>>48781714
It only happened with the Umayyads and Abbasids, and I don't think either really count as neither came about from the ashes of a crumbling empire but through civil war.
>>
File: (You).jpg (359KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
359KB, 1280x720px
>>48781740

You only get one.
>>
>>48774563
Depends on the PC.
My default answer is usually no.
However, I have been persuaded otherwise in the past.
On the topic of the Sham Caliphate, the most recent PC of Dark Elf race I allowed was basically a heretic who was fleeing the theocracy of the Spider Queen. His family had been part of a secret community of faithful of... something else... bit the webby Inquisition recently came!e for them.
>>
>>48779078
That is the manliest looking elf I have ever seen and he doesn't even have a beard.
>>
>>48782146
Zaknafein is probably the most macho drow you'll find in the Forgotten realms novels.
>>
>>48781101
Please, tell me more.
>>
>>48782171
If he hadn't died like a bitch. Gromph is the fuckin' daddy.
>>
>>48782185
Drow society is strictly matriarchal. The women are in charge, and have sex with each other, usually only using men for reproduction.

Once males get to a certain skill level, they are usually killed.
>>
>>48782215

Nah, drow women usually only fuck each other as a status thing. Males are less threatening, because they can't stab you over position. Where are you getting these cool ERP memes from, bruh?
>>
>>48782194

Gromph is as based as you can possibly be as a drow male.
>>
>>48782215
Not true, males trained as wizards have a bit of power, not as much as the priesthood but still pretty high up
>>
>>48777093
Do we have more of this, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time
>>
>>48774563
Give me a decent backstory and I can see if i cant make it work. Give me a stat line and I'll want to fire you out of a cannon. I'll instead politely decline your PC and ask you to choose one of the other two concepts you had typed up for me to choose from.
>>
>>48783887
>Give me a decent backstory and I can see if i cant make it work. Give me a stat line and I'll want to fire you out of a cannon.

Honestly, that's probably should fit for more than just drow. Even if it's "barbarian seeking whores, ale, and whores with ale"
>>
File: Drizzt-Shaped Hurdle.png (755KB, 1022x462px) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt-Shaped Hurdle.png
755KB, 1022x462px
>>48774563
Well, I'm playing one now, so I'm pretty okay with them.

>>48774899
Sure there is.
>>
>>48784324
>"Why are you so interested in the brewer's daughter, anyways?"
>>"Her eyes are so beautiful."
>"Which set?"
>>
>>48774563

I have an all-Drow game that quickly turned into Hotline Menzoberranzan.

That's all I have to say on the issue.
>>
>>48784750

That sounds amazing.

All-evil parties have great capacity for fun.
>>
>>48774579
>They fuck n suck
>>
>>48774563
I have no stance on them.
All they are is an idea, one that is not inherently bad or good.

I only hold stances on players; if a player has shown themselves capable of playing a drow PC without being disruptive or hugely annoying then I let them. If they aren't, I don't.
Simple as that.
>>
File: mnz.jpg (76KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mnz.jpg
76KB, 500x500px
>>48782194
>>48782463
Yeah, but Gromph Baenre was an Archmage.
>>
File: my character.png (2MB, 3082x3615px) Image search: [Google]
my character.png
2MB, 3082x3615px
>>48784357
What the fuck, are you me?
>Dm keeps handing me animal companions, unfitting items, and makes other drow hate me, and makes the entire character about the race/class combo
>I just want to do cool magic and fuck up bandits/bad things for cash and fun
it's actually really annoying.
>>
File: drow in the 80s.jpg (126KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
drow in the 80s.jpg
126KB, 768x1024px
>>48775587
>It sucks more being a drow male. It sucks the most being a drow male commoner
>why not just leave
R.A. Salvator is actually exploring that in the new Drizzt series. Drizzt is back in the Underdark and Jarlaxle who leads this band of Drow mercenaries on the surface and hates the fact that when he returns home he gets treated like shit and Archmage Gromph Baenre to a lesser extent want to use him as this sort of inspirational symbol to get all the males to basically go fuck this and either leave or attempt a coupe
>>
>>48774563
I try to craft my game/setting such that any race my players choose will be, not necessarily welcomed but not be so out of place that it will interrupt gameplay or make me say "no, you can't play the evil elf guys." To this end I try to come up with a few ethnicities for each race, such that it's not just "Dwarf culture" and "Elf culture" but different societies of each. Because otherwise they're just another subset of humans who happen to look a bit more different.
>>
married one
>>
File: Virt Quotes Virt.png (141KB, 1424x372px) Image search: [Google]
Virt Quotes Virt.png
141KB, 1424x372px
>>48774892
Maybe try being on the board for more than 15 minutes and you'll see something even more retarded.
>>
>>48788076
>drow beta uprising

REEEEEEE
>>
>>48788158
Why did anyone respond to that guy?
>>
File: Iliira 01.png (536KB, 686x963px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira 01.png
536KB, 686x963px
>>48787511
>What the fuck, are you me?

Maybe. My character is a drow who was born on the surface and raised by a human innkeeper - basically the human-raised version of Sandwich Stoutaxe, she's got essentially nothing "drow" about her other than the sunlight sensitivity and appearance. She's basically just your stereotypical CG plucky thief that happens to be a drow.

Also, stealing that picture. Yoink.
>>
>>48788180
To be fair it is more of a side plot but it is a long time coming
The recent series is really pushing the fact that all the important male drow characters are getting fed up with being treated like shit despite their power and accomplishments
>>
>>48788076
>R.A. Salvator is actually exploring that in the new Drizzt series.

What the hell, that crap is still not over with?
>>
>>48774781
>I also lock them from classes a drow wouldn't be. Like a barbarian.

Alright, let's do this. Cleric, Fighter, and Wizard do not need explanations, so let's go over the others.

>Barbarian
Young (human equivalent of, say, 13 years old) drow escaped the destruction of his noble House and fled into the Underdark wilderness with a small retinue, intending to come back when the time was right. The retinue was picked off one by one by various Underdark hazards, however, but the young drow survived thanks to rage (at situation as well as destruction of House) and no small amount of luck.

>Bard
Deathsingers are a canonical thing in drow society.

>Druid
SEE Barbarian, but instead of going completely alone the drow was taken in by an Underdark druid.

>Monk
Assassin with a bent towards mysticism and bodily perfection, which actually is something drow would totally love.

>Paladin
Paladin of Vengeance, bro. Paladins no longer require the Lawful Good alignment, so milk that for all it's worth.

>Ranger
Underdark scout, obviously. Side note, there is no way in Hell Drizzt is only 8th level, I don't care what WotC tries to tell me. He dueled a Marilith to a standstill, yo. An 8th level character can't do that. And he's a fucking ranger, not a Fighter.

>Rogue
Every society has thieves and assassins.

>Sorcerer
Shadow dragons, wild magic can pop up anywhere.

>Warlock
Fiend pact. Just fluff them as a variant on wizards trained in the magical school.
>>
>>48788428
>Assassin with a bent towards mysticism and bodily perfection, which actually is something drow would totally love.

Actually was a thing in one sourcebook; there was a huge cult of LE drow ninja guys ("the Order of the Blackened Fist", apparently because they painted their right fists black, which I guess drow could tell the difference at a glance even if nobody else could) who acted as a neutral go-between the various drow houses and killed people and spied on people for them, valued for their discretion and loyalty despite them mostly being males.
Ironically I seem to remember that more and more of the Order thought about turning on the Matrons of the drow city because they saw how endlessly pointless, narcissistic, and most importantly (to them anyway) utterly-lacking in self-discipline of any kind they were. Since they were the pre-eminent killers in the city, were generally used and trusted by everyone and were even the guys who brought half of the houses their information they were in a shockingly good position to revolt and actually have a solid chance of winning if they ever felt like they should.
>>
>>48788428
>Side note, there is no way in Hell Drizzt is only 8th level, I don't care what WotC tries to tell me.
I think this is something that kind of stems from how Salvatore doesn't really write in "levels" and writes certain characters as being unable to stand up against certain things when they actually would have a solid chance of doing really well against them for the purposes of drama.
>And he's a fucking ranger, not a Fighter.
That's actually been a thing since he was ever given stats, even in TSR days. He actually only become a Ranger later in life (after he got onto the surface I guess), but mechanically speaking it's because in the prior editions Ranger had combat class limitations that Drizzt clearly did not have, and more to the point Ranger gained spellcasting abilities that Drizzt clearly has never had or used at any point either.

It's basically the differences between writing a character in a novel (in which everything is determined by the author's personal tastes and the needs of the plot) and then trying to translate something wholly arbitrary into hard rules.
>>
>>48779233
More like a mobster, in a pretty wacky party that operated on the edges of civilization (DM was running Phandelver).
>>
File: lewder.png (161KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
lewder.png
161KB, 500x281px
Is there some sort of drow release in D&D recently? What's with all the troll drow threads?
>>
>>48788686
>Troll thread
What the fuck makes you think this is a troll thread?
>>
>>48789369
Because the OP marries a contentious concept to a sexualised image for a combination of magical realm, that guy and even a hint of tumblr?
>>
File: 1447957584243.jpg (399KB, 1920x2554px) Image search: [Google]
1447957584243.jpg
399KB, 1920x2554px
I actually prefer brownies over blackies.
>>
>>48789402
>Contentious concept
What the fuck is contentious about asking about an atypical player race? Or do you think ANY topic that remotely can cause an argument is a troll thread? Cause we can argue about the stupidest shit here

>sexualised image
It's a fucking pic of a hot drow chick, this is fairly tame as far as fantasy art goes, hell it's VERY tame compared to some official drow art

>magical realm
Yes, of course, because anything even remotely sexual is magical realm and we need to sanitize every setting of anything beyond a G rating
Oh, wait no it isn't, magical realm is only when it disrupts the game, and if a pic of someone wearing more than a bikini is enough to be magical realm by your books maybe you should get off the magic sin box Mr Amish man

>that guy
>tumblr
I can't even figure out what would lead you to connect these to the OP, are you just spouting off bad words without knowing the meaning?
Is this some sort of twisted bingo game where you're trying to mark off as many boxes as you can?
>>
>>48790139
If you don't want to admit it's pretty finely tuned to appeal to all of /tg/'s troll response tendencies, like all the other threads popping up on the drow in the last few days, good for you.
>>
>>48790159
The only troll here right now is you
So..I guess it's working?
>>
>>48790171
Sure man. Whatever you want to think. Go smoke some cones or something and settle up.
>>
>>48790189
>Go smoke some cones or something and settle up.
I have no idea what either of these mean
>>
>>48774563
they are fine for suicide-squad style campaigns

other than that i disaprove of "inherently evil humanoid races" as in if they manage to make a somewhat working society based on human ones, they cannot be all evil, only rough with each other or a higher degree of selfishness than humans.

if a player just tries to be edgelord , he will have to face realistic consequences for his manners and deeds. no problem here
>>
>>48790199
>" as in if they manage to make a somewhat working society based on human ones
Canonically the drow DON'T have a working society, their whole civilization is propped up via divine intervention, they actually have the distinction of being the only evil race with a fundamentally broken society
>>
>>48790216
Really? Is there a short or something easily accessible that doesn't involve me looking for a PDF on the topic? Which part does Lolth/other gods actually prop?
>>
>>48790404
>Is there a short or something easily accessible that doesn't involve me looking for a PDF on the topic?
Not too sure actually, there probably are a few drow specific source books but the forgotten realm wiki/it's sources are probably a good place to start looking, don't think it goes into quite so much detail though and you'll likely have to pic through several books to get the specifics

>Which part does Lolth/other gods actually prop?
Mostly fucking with the priestesses but more so than any other god she actively micro manages her worshipers, semirandomly granting blessings, curses, visions, ect, to pretty much any drow.
Who gets what is picked primarily to keep the priestesses on top and those in power batshit paranoid and murderous.

Something to keep in mind is that Lolth is a psychotic bitch who sees her worshipers more as toys to play out her sadistic and controlling fantasies on more than anything else, basically the drow are Best Korea if Best Korea was an actual threat, chubby leader got off on the suffering of others, and could watch ANY member of his nation at ANY time he wanted
>>
>>48790404
>>48790503
Scratch the suggestion of that wiki, gave it a quick skim and it doesn't really go into detail about that, it mostly sticks to the monster manual description
>>
>>48774563
one of my pcs plays an albino one, which basically looks like a high elf in my world, personally i found them extremely interesting and they bring a big spin to the social economy of the Elven races, where the otherones costantly have to balance toward more benign allignments, which is kinda hard for an elf since they naturally would like stick to neutral in my world to demostrate that they're not like "those".
>>
>>48774563
Run the concept by me, but it should be fine
>>
>>48788428
>Alright, let's do this. Cleric, Fighter, and Wizard do not need explanations

I don't think you needed to explain why drow can be rogues either.
>>
>>48774563
A player wanted to play as one, so I jokingly said she would need to blow me.

1 blow job later, she had a drow PC.
>>
File: bear with computer.jpg (10KB, 183x183px) Image search: [Google]
bear with computer.jpg
10KB, 183x183px
>>48791129
>lying on the internet
>>
>>48791129
Things that never happened
>>
>>48775129
There was almost a unified Arab state after WWI, with leaders that both the Sunni and the Shi'a could get behind. England and France fucked it up and then put the Saudi family in power.
>>
>>48788428
>there is no way in Hell Drizzt is only 8th level
Losing your waifu and becoming a cuck drains levels.
>>
>>48775389
>Implying the West isn't directly responsible for the shitheads in power in the Middle East being in power
>Implying the one Arab nation that got to keep their leaders without being fucked with isn't the only stable nation and has been for a literal century.
>Implying that the Hashimids wouldn't have just killed Bin-Laden in the 70s rather than send him abroad.
>>
Are there non-noble drow houses? I can't find anything about drow life for non-nobility
>>
>>48780779
So the systematic extermination of cultures is okay because other people did it? Then you must love Stalin, Mao, The Young Turks, Saddam Hussein, Fransico Pizarro, and every other genocidal maniac.
>>
>>48791537

What's so valuable about preserving cultures or every culture? The Caste system was part of Indian culture. A culture that England learned to exploit and use it to assert their rule.
>>
>>48791595
It's one thing to drive change in a culture for the better. It's another thing to violently eradicate it. The latter may be quicker, but it usually means killing unarmed men, women and children for no reason other than who their parents are/were.
>>
>>48791508
There are probably vassal houses in service to a noble house, each with their own families they can draw manpower from.

You could also join a guild and be trained as a specialist laborer.
>>
>>48775389

Wew, really hot opinions. Sure showing those irrational SJWs some rationality by completely denying historic truth in favour of protecting your long, long, long dead ancestors.
>>
>>48788426
Because Drizzt trilogy were by far his most popular books. For whatever reason because they were pretty shitty.
>>
>>48788428
Barbarian has a much easier explanation.

Pit fighter/gladiator. Done.
>>
What is evil?
>>
In MUH SETTING OC DONUT STEEL (actually it's my dms setting) the Drow, or Dokkalfar, as they are more commonly called, are the sullen Slavic cousins of the more traditional norse Ljósálfar. Of course, both their ancient homelands were destroyed in Ragnarok when Michael the archangel led the forces of darkness against Shaitan in order to destroy Yggdrasil. Your 'common' wood elf is a modern descendant of these ancient races mixed together with other types of fey, as the decimated races banded together into a Confederacy known as the Tuatha De and fled to dark and terrible Ireland to hide from the pogroms led by Ra, Lord of the Egyptian pantheon
>>
>>48774932
>have sex slaves
Are you telling me you wouldn't? Or that it didn't happen in real life?
>>
>>48791777
not being able to tap dat drow ass whenever you want because bitches be crazy
>>
>>48774563
>What's your stance on drow PCs?

Erect :^)
>>
>>48778804

As a guy who grew up in a former colonial nation, I say: The thing about the colonists is that they did it with style. Also, they taught us the value of guns and brought us up to speed on how things are meant to be in the world.

We can never thank the white man enough. Sure us Chinese will one day fuck you up, but none of this would be possible without you.
>>
>>48788426

Here's the really stupid part. You know all of Drizzt's friends? The Companions of the Hall? Well, they all died. Wulfgar of old age, Cattie-brie from some really stupid 4E event, and Bruneor in one last fight.

THEN THEY REINCARNATED.

After Drizzt was beaten half-to-death by his new Mary Sue Strong Womyn girlfriend (She's an awful character - rape backstory and all) he's basically dying atop a mountain, then his reincarnated friends show up. And all them are twinked out like you won't believe.

Regis, for example, came back as Halfling watersoul genasi loaded down with Rogue magic items including a snake-dagger.
>>
File: 1443482136693.png (434KB, 1048x958px) Image search: [Google]
1443482136693.png
434KB, 1048x958px
>>48788188
He said such amazingly stupid shit he always managed to get replies.
>>
>>48774563
Why the fuck does no one ever talk about Eberron? Half the Drow are Chaotic Neutral savages who live in the jungle and worship a scorpion god. They also have Scorrow, Scorpion versions of Drider, which is fucking awesome! The other half are evil because they worship the Fire Giants that enslaved the normal elves in aeons past.(drow were basically slave drivers, one short step up on the totem pole) they're fire worshipping badasses that use fire magic to melt and mold obsidian to build their homes. Fuck yes I'll allow a Drow PC.
>>
>>48792109
>sociopath
You say "sociopath" as if it is something bad.
>>
>>48792013
Has Salvatore gone full DBZ?
>>
>>48792469
This is the stupidest thing I've ever read in this thread.
>>
>>48792519
Hey, sadistic impulses and desires are present in all of us and are perfectly normal. You have them too. Don't deny it.
>>
>>48792612
I heard you dodge permaban. It seems to be true.
>>
They're basically That Race.
>>
>>48792798
I was permabanned? Strange, I don't recall that happening. Anyway I think I'll visit /tg/ from time to time.
>>
>>48791805
That sounds pretty cool anon.
>>
>>48775216
>one of their executioners literally uses a Bleach sword
Nigger, what?

I demand sauce, otherwise I'm calling the bull-est of shits.
>>
File: Actually colored.png (1MB, 726x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Actually colored.png
1MB, 726x1024px
>>48788326
and steal this picture instead, dude.

Ah, that's actually super different from me.
she's raised 100% drow, and am nothing like drizzt in any way, they don't try to rebel against my house, she actually worships lolth, but doesn't really want to bother with inter-house politics or anything like that, except to actually have her own house/family someday (which is admittedly kinda weird, since she want's like a happy family instead of a powerful house)
>>
I read a green text about running Drow as eastern European immigrants and I've stuck with that canon in all of my drow characters.
>>
>>48794197
>>48777093
>>
>>48793995
Who did that art?
>>
>>48795711
no idea who drew the base picture, but a drawfag here colored it for me.
The first picture was something i requested, then colored everything but skin myself.
>>
>>48795735
Ah, pity, it's nice
>>
>>48778804
Whats the problem? Weve done it for every other religion, culture and creed on earth. Blacks, yellows, browns, everything in between get that treatment - take Muhammad or Salahadin for example. Why isnt the West allowed? Is it because you've got an axe to grind?
>>
>>48797262
It's because he's not white enough.
>>
File: Eilistraee_symbol.jpg (57KB, 400x561px) Image search: [Google]
Eilistraee_symbol.jpg
57KB, 400x561px
If its not an all Drow/evil campaign then their asses better be worshiping Eilistraee.
>>
>>48797535
I don't like the all-nude all-the-time thing.
>>
>>48798080
Get a choker of cloud mind or something
No one knows you're naked if you Jedi mind trick it away

...At least as long as they don't pass the will check
>>
>>48798350
That..........is actually way more fun a way to do it than just creating a character who doesn't care that everyone can see her bush all the time.

A shy priest of Eilistraee who uses magical illusion to clothe herself. That's awesome
>>
>>48797535
>Not Vhaerun
>>
File: Ethe'riia.png (2MB, 1932x880px) Image search: [Google]
Ethe'riia.png
2MB, 1932x880px
>>48774563
I play as one.
>>48774690
>You need to list a psychic compulsion for your character to fulfill- I'll approve it if I think it fits. In exchange, if you fail a saving throw against arcane magic, you can re-roll it once every short rest.
what the fuck are you even on? Drow don't have crazy psychic compulsions you moron, That's the whole tradgedy is that they have the power to work together, but don't. which is why characters who are focused on reform are fucking amazing as drow. No one likes a drizzt because it's been done to death and in a now boring fucking way, not because the idea itself is worthless.

Let the fires of law take lolth, so that the drow may subdue the surface and prove to all their superiority.

>>48774932
That is literally just humanity. Read about the history of any nation and you will find that they basically do things just as fucked up.
>>
>>48775389
>"You shone a beacon of truth, justice, science and technology out into the world for hundreds of years!"
>"How dare you? You should be ashamed, you fucking white male!"
holy fucking shit, this guy thinks nations should thank his for literally eradicating them because they brought over trinkets. No one tell this cunt what canals did to india.
>>
>>48791645
this, jesus christ. fucking 40kids I swear.
>>
>>48798080
just brush it over, only mention it if it's essential. Also why not do as that pic, simply say "whops, can't show that in a christian role playing game :^)" and have hair or objects block private parts during play.
>inb4 b-but my equipment
fun and novelty > combat and dungeon crawling
>>
>>48798397
>A shy priest of Eilistraee who uses magical illusion to clothe herself. That's awesome
That's actually where the idea first came up for me, well not for a priestess of Eilistraee, but for another god I can't remember but the rest is the same
>>
>>48792497
>Implying Salvatore ever really gave a shit
>>
>>48798080
Where'd the fucking meme come from of 'nude-all-the-time' as opposed to 'nude-during-secret-worship-ceremony-shit'?
>>
>>48774563

Still better than a mac
>>
>>48799474
Idiots who don't play, basically.
>>
>>48774932
Man ISIS isn't shit. A bunch of unprofessional washouts and dumb kids who were too fucking stupid to tell a real opportunity to grab power from a temporary power vacuum surrounded by serious military powers. Their estimated death count is nowhere near that of virtually any 20th century conflict or dictatorship that people still remember.
>>
>>48788188
because baiting works
>>
Craftworld Drow.

Got the fuck out of dodge when things started getting both grim and dark under Babymurder Mountain, founded a colony topside. Sunlight adaptation trait, basically just wood elves.
>>
>>48774563
Edgy.

My Eldrich-Knight was raped by my best friend's, FwB's PC.

My, in character and out of character I have an eternal hatred for drow.
>>
>>48806071
Well. I forgot my trip code

Fuck me up senpai
>>
>>48774563
As long as they mesh well with the party, I have no problem with them.
>>
Only good drow is a dead drow
>>
>>48774563
If the possibility of a dark elf pc fits the setting I have no problem with it.
>>
>>48806132
Pshh, nothin personnel kid
>>
>>48806156
>killing literal monsters
>edgy
I guess LotR is also edgy these days
>>
>>48806193
Whatever you say virt.
>>
>>48775411
>This is why Iran should be in charge
It's like saying that you'd rather have plague than cholera. Either way, what we're getting is a backwards dictatorship ruled too much by archaic dogma.
>>
>>48806111
This, this is the primary thing you need to care about
>>
>>48774563
They're fine unless you're running cg antitype Drow that expect to get along in human lands rather than hunted.

If you're not being hunted in surface lands, you're in disguise, you're marked as an eilistraee worshiper and you stick to safe lands, or you have a massive personal rep and everyone knows you're a badass and not a threat to the good guys except when defending yourself.
>>
>>48792612
Nigga no get help, man
>>
If a setting's dark elves are just elves with drow colouration due to things happening way back in history, not all evil, not living underground, not strictly matriarchal... are they still dark elves?
>>
>>48806791
yes, they are elves with dark skin, therefor calling them dark elves is completely logical (assuming there are other elves with different skin color, otherwise they should just be called elves). I wouldn't call them drow though, since that is closely connected to D&D
>>
>>48774563
Tragically overused back in the 2e days. They got replaced in the hearts of edgy teen nerds by half-dragons and tieflings though.
>>
>>48788686
There's an underdark expedition module that's either already out or coming out very soon. Someone I game with is planning on running it come september
>>
File: ainsley01.png (349KB, 516x570px) Image search: [Google]
ainsley01.png
349KB, 516x570px
>>48806825
is it okay if i call black people in my campaign "dark humans"?
>>
>>48808145
No, if only because there is a canonical race of "Dark Humans", they're these sorta greyish, kind of asian looking people who've moved into the shadow plane
>>
>>48793995
A full color version? Sweet! Thanks! I've only ever been able to take a pencil to it one printed out, and the results weren't great.

...although technically her scarf should be jet-black, seeing as how it's supposed to be the remains of her mother's piwafi and all.

Also I want that glowing blue sword...!

>>48808145
Morlock. The term you're looking for is morlock.
>>
>>48808145
no you call them red boys like the elder scrolls
>>
File: Dark Stalker.jpg (63KB, 574x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Stalker.jpg
63KB, 574x1000px
>>48809141
>>48808402
>>48808145
Dark Folk.

The human version of drow, really.
>>
Drow are boring, and most I've encountered have the same backstory as Drizzt or are even his cousin or something, but if you can make an interesting Drow character I'm all for it
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.