[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WFRP Worldbuilding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Riverside Town.jpg (654KB, 1654x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Riverside Town.jpg
654KB, 1654x1152px
Hello friends, I come to you on a matter of minor worldbuilding.

I am inducting some fresh players into the Warhammer game of WFRP 2E, and have some concepts built up for them once they get out of the module. I have the attached town, which is not of Middenland origin, but I would like to fit it in somehow. I've got a few tenuous plothooks conceptualized and mapped out, but nothing extreme.

More directly, I was hoping some of you could help me intelligently construct some thoughtful background and lore for this place. Little details, like what type of people (nobles?) would live in the larger, walled off houses; how populous the city would have been prior to the Storm of Chaos (presumably beastmen rampaged through to some degree; preferably leaving a smallish band of survivors); and other such qualities that will give our town some hefty verisimilitude.
>>
If you look in Sigmar's Heirs there's some useful information on each of the cities and towns. Other than that, your map seems barebones; given that the town is on a river, maybe it's got fishing as a source of commerce? There's the apparent trading post up top, as well.

The fact that the town is walled in definitely means they see - or at one point saw - regular danger from the north-ish. A noble might do that, but I'm unsure he'd spend resources on doing the whole town...could be an interesting point in history.

There's no real town square or anything like that, at least nothing sizable. A couple buildings could be temples. If this place is war torn then everything outside the walls is burned and wrecked, I would think.

There could be further settlement on the other side of the river, but maybe it's not the noble's land, and he offered no protection there?

Now that I think on it, this could likely be a burgeoning trading town. They likely produce something needed here - textiles, pottery, something useful. I see no indications of a mine or the like, so probably nothing to do with ores or fashioning weapons or armor. I would think the land is great for manufacturing something lucrative though.
>>
>>48765364
>Warhammer game of WFRP 2E

Impeccable taste

>>48765751

The mine could be on an island just off the port there. Maybe it's on the coast of a lake? Or the river is wide enough to have a little island thing in the middle
>>
>>48765364

For population you could just count the houses and throw 1~3 families in them
>>
>>48765364

So the walled off section is interesting because they aren't necessarily more secure since they are still attached to the outside wall.

Maybe that inner wall was made to fight against uppity peasants more than outside enemies?

Or maybe the wall there is just thicker and with more defenses so they are still more defended.
>>
>>48765968
But there's nothing in the town that would imply they work with it at all. No foundry, no smithy, not much of anything.

I do like the idea that there is something across the river, but that's not what the map is depicting, and it should ideally be the focus.
>>
Important detail; rivers flood. No one smart, or with money, lives where it floods. Poor people live closer to the river; you can see fishing shacks lining the inner harbor. IMO, the rich wouldn't want to live near the gates either, due to whatever terror the walls were built to protect against. If the walled in buildings are not nobles (or not exclusively), they might be burghers or the like who hit it big; or perhaps a group/guild of them forming a well protected consortium.
>>
There is something of a town square nearer the river, with three buildings facing ot. I feel the larger one could be an inn or tavern.
>>
I'd say something at the crossroads of some large cities, a waystop and trading town. There isn't anything that signifies the land is valuable, but that might be due to the simplicity of the artist's design.
>>
I'd Beastmen rampage through I'd say most everything outside the fortified area should be fucked
>>
>>48765364
Sup warhammer anon.

What you want is the supplement Scenic Dunnsmouth.

It was published for Lamentations of the Flame princess but it is system agnostic.

It is brilliant. There should be a copy in the trove somewhere or you can get it on drivethrough.
>>
>>48772020
Sounds excellent, I'll check it out. Thanks amigo.
>>
>>48765364
Isn't the River Reik in Middenland? That would probably be an important enough river to place your town on.
>>
>>48772020
Confirmed, Dunnsmouth is dank
>>
Related question, are there maps of the actual towns that are canon? I know I've seen some amazing ones of Altdorf and Erengrad and the like, but I wonder if the smaller ones exist.
>>
>>48777659
I think a large portion of maps are fan made honestly...Black Industries didn't have much time to pump out official ones
>>
File: fuckedville.jpg (1MB, 1954x1152px) Image search: [Google]
fuckedville.jpg
1MB, 1954x1152px
A - Rich assholes who kept relatively safe and locked everyone else out. Probably has stores of food and some servants.
B - Specifically the richest assholest douches. I would assume an expansive cellar and probably a getaway tunnel.
C - Lives right next to rich assholes, and up against the wall. Assuming town guard, something like that. Maybe the building to the left.
D - Also maybe town guard. Bigger buildings = barracks maybe.
E - Church maybe? dunno nothing here is really that ostentatious enough to be a church imo. Maybe a small chapel. The big round clearing means this place is special.
F - Extra big chimney, loves big dicks. Shack next to it, this could be a smithy.
G - Shacks for poor people. May or may not be fishermen. Likely houses refugees from the war.
H - Has a neat fuckin courtyard. Must be something cool.
I - Big place with a big connecting hallway. I'd presume some governance building.
J - The tax man. Totally.
K - The town hall. Biggest building around.
L - The shape leads me to believe it would have many rooms - making it the inn.
M - Fishery, it's right on the water. The southeast corner looks like it would open up to the river.
N - Tavern. Fairly central, shape leads me to think bar in one part, kitchen in the other.
O - A large shop or something. It looks inviting, with its atrium and driveway.
P - Houses
Q - Shops
R - Warehouse
The rest - fuck if I know
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.