[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An interesting thought came to me. There are no shortages of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Fire Fighting Exo armor.jpg (28KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Fighting Exo armor.jpg
28KB, 600x657px
An interesting thought came to me. There are no shortages of games where you play as a power and heroic individual or some kind of criminal but what about playing as a emergency rescue person? Especially with Pic related.

>Have power armor to help you move around in your high tech firesuit,
>Carry around heavy equipment like axes and chainsaws or Backpacks of fire fighting agents
>if sufficiently far in the future you could be fighting nano swarms the catch fire let loose by terrorist
>>
>>48748173
>an RPG based on being rescue personel
Intriguing.
>>
>>48748173

>A large cargo ship is stranded in space broadcasting SOS
>Was struck by an unknown object that has caused extensive damage to the engines and life support
>After putting out the fires and restoring life support and gravity you find out the ship's sensors were tampered with to prevent it from detecting and avoiding objects around it.
>>
>>48748173

I think I saw a game like this in a LGS though I don't remember the name.

I think the big reason is that fighting fires and emergency rescue can't really be part of a grand narrative as it currently exists in our popular consciousness, you'd want to tack on some CSI elements to keep things engaging.
>>
>>48748173
On that last point, fire is very likely to be a good anti-nanotech weapon, so you could be in a shit going the fuck down scenario where you're having to deal with both at the same time in a kind of rock paper scissors scenario.

Certainly an interesting idea on the whole
>>
>>48748173
Wasn't there a videogame where you played as a Fireman? It was on like the Ps3 or something.
>>
>>48748255

I would think you can do something like that with space future where you do stuff like this and then do investigations afterwards.

>>48748405

Maybe if we're dealing with Plasma

>>48748421
I don't recall one but I do remember way back in the day there was an arcade game where you had firehoses and had to fight fires with it. that and I was watching a longplay on youtube about some snes game where you and a buddy are going through a building; one with an axe and the other with a water cannon rescuing people and having boss fights with fire.
>>
>>48748255
>can't really be part of a grand narrative
I don't know - how does being a fireman in the cyberpunk slums sound?

You're a fireman, but you're not the public's hero - to a lot of them you're just a corporate stooge that drives up insurance prices, and probably an arsonist to boot - there's always rumours going around that firefighters won't save buildings that aren't insured, and that they light fires to drive up prices or to make property available to their corporate overlords.
They may even be true.

You have to deal with arsonists, turf wars and all manner of "interesting" things that might be on fire; it's funny how a lot of things that shouldn't be on the streets go up in flames, and how interestingly some of them react with common firefighting fluids. Not just street-level stuff either, corporate labs often have all manner of undeclared things in them that make firefighting even more of a hazard.

All the while you still have to save people and fight fires, of course
>>
>>48748173
>1L water bottle
For fighting really small fires
>>
Why not make the overarching narrative more personal and political? Prestigate at the fire station is measured in acts of heroism and successes defeating fires, you're jockeying for the position of Head Fireman, there's concerns that head office wil reduce funding for maybe an intruigue-related reason...
>>
>>48748855
>>48748957

The whole of the setting doesn't have to be built around them but they are aspects of certain settings where I think it could offer a unique look at the setting.

Take Shadowrun for example, you have groups like Docwagon who are essentially shadowrunners in skill who go into dangerous situations to rescue their charges.

Imagine playing a game from that perspective where you are rescuing different runners in different situations like blowing through a city or flying a vitol into a dense magically active jungle that's purposelly trying to hate fuck you to death while dodging bullets from eco-terrorist and corporate mercenaries.
>>
>>48748855

But what you are describing is a series of encounters, not a narrative.

Which ties into the second part of my post that talks about how it can be a part of a narrative.
>>
>>48748173

Fight Fire, one of the settings that were cooked up for the Fate Core kickstarter, is basically this. Players are firefighters. The enemy is fire, which is statted by how likely it is to spread further, how hot and burn-y the flame is, and how much smoke the fire produces; you've also got smoke as a secondary 'enemy', which is statted by how well it disorients people, and how well it chokes them.

Surprisingly well put together considering how few RPGs there are with that kind of themeing.
>>
>>48748957

I can see this. Games like Vampire and Legend of the 5 Rings have a lot of politics-style gameplay to be used. That being said, tying in the firefighting would be really wonky.
>>
Burning Rangers on the Sega Saturn is the video game over the shoulder 3rd person 'shooter' of what you want, OP.
>>
>>48749049

Really? I mean you could be dealing with a pyromaniac mage who enjoys manipulating the fire video game style while you're trying to put it out.
>>
>>48748999
Nice appropriate trips - yeah, that's what I was thinking: you're in an adventure-friendly world, and your primary mission is fighting fires, but you've also got to work around the general dangers of the setting, and there's a social aspect of both your own success (as >>48748957 describes) and also learning things you don't officially know - like a gang war that's about to kick off, for example.

>>48749007
This sounds pretty cool too
>>
>>48749102

And who says you can't go beyond the bounds of your duty?

So take typical cyberpunk setting. You're a firefighter having to deal with the occasional riot and other such events and putting out the fires that result from them.

You somehow get word that the recent fires are being caused by a small time gang who's taking orders from a suit that's trying to literally smoke out the residents so the corp he's working for can swoop in, buy up the property and rebuild it to build up their name to the public as well as working with the other local criminals to give them a slice of the pie in territory cleared of old enemies or something like that.

Que you, joe fireman, either taking matters into his own hands using the broken exo-suit and strapping steel plates to it and going to town or hiring a shadowrun team and working with them to do something about the situation.
>>
File: Rescue Workers.jpg (2MB, 3000x2040px) Image search: [Google]
Rescue Workers.jpg
2MB, 3000x2040px
Making a cool narrative would be easy. You start with a squad of rescue workers that have to save people in ever increasing dangers. Eventually a team member realizes that so many natural disasters and catastrophes are odd. As the team continue to rescue civilians they learn of the ancient evil that is causing the fires/disease/whatever and have to use their skills to defeat it.
>>
File: Demonic_Hexxus.jpg (12KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
Demonic_Hexxus.jpg
12KB, 500x270px
>>48749387

>Dealing with Native America spirits
>One is the embodiment of mankind's evil in the form of a toxic demon that creates fires to feed off the Ashes and the chemicals from burning down houses
>>
Why is this thread so focused on firefighters? What about wilderness first responders? EMTs? Emergency room workers? Rescue divers? There's a lot of room to work with
>>
>>48750000

Clearly no one brought up the idea of settings like Shadowrun where you could play the role of Docwagon or anything.

But besides that there's no reason not to include any of them as they can be used in all sorts of situations.

Rescue divers who encounter Deepones, emergency room doctors now trapped in a hospital with their patients during a sudden zombie apocolypse. EMTs who find themselves in !SilentHill and the aforementioned wilderness first responders who suddenly run into a fucking wendigo.
>>
You might want to give this short story a listen. It's really good, and might provide you some inspiration.

http://escapepod.org/2016/03/18/ep525-among-the-living/
>>
Emergency workers on Venus could be pretty interesting.

Venus is a great place for colonization, but in the event of a major hull breach of any of the floating habitats CO2 would start displacing the air in the habitat starting a chain reaction event that could start pulling the habitat lower into the atmosphere where the temperature would eventually get to a point where it's no longer survivable. The good news is that CO2 puts out fires, but if there's an acid cloud nearby when the breach happens shit can start to get REALLY hectic.

Emergency workers on Venus would employ wingsuits and lifting gas bladders to glide to where they need to go at breakneck speeds while also having to deal with the power of the venusian wind. You could have a scenario where a little habitat pod has a mysterious explosion blow out a massive chunk of it while in the middle of a drifting sulfuric acid cloud. A swarm of drones would be sent as first responders to the scene, flying as fast as they can to the pod that they end up ramming themselves into it in an effort to attach themselves and deploy their helium bladders to lift the pod out of the sky. Meanwhile nobody knows what the hell is going on inside the pod causing the wingsuit gliders having to go in to this compromised vehicle without any information.
>>
File: SpaceWare-Spacesuit-02.jpg (154KB, 1032x1280px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceWare-Spacesuit-02.jpg
154KB, 1032x1280px
>>48750428

Goddamn that sounds cool as shit.

Imagine being a sort of EMT in space though?

>Get an emergency SOS
>Life pod has been deployed and several on board in critical condition
>Lifepod was damaged and can't be entered without venting the life support inside until a ship comes by
>Float by in your EVA suit and communicate via radio inside to monitor the condition of the crew and have them do first aid under your instruction with the materials in the LifePod.
>Oh, and astral weather reports space debris headed in your general vicinity.
>>
>>48748173

It has some interesting potential but personally I don't go to games so I can relive my job.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.