[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some help Tomorrow I am running an adventure. The basis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Huge Fiendish Spider.jpg (12KB, 450x314px) Image search: [Google]
Huge Fiendish Spider.jpg
12KB, 450x314px
Need some help

Tomorrow I am running an adventure. The basis is that they need to travel to an area of a forest that had been overrun by an Fiendish Huge spider. The area at that time had been transformed in to something like the spider scene from the Hobbit. Earlier they had slain the thing. However, they failed to rescue an ancient treant that had been trapped in the area.

To help fix things they are doing what amounts to an ‘rescue baby Groot’ adventure. They travel to the area of the forest (about a week after the above) again and try and get the new budding treant back.

My current idea is that they will run in to a group of drow in the area. The drow are related to the original incursion of the Fiend Spider and are now harvesting the body. Another Drow is poking around the treant corpse. Possible encounter with a Drow patrol.

It seems rather meh though. Any suggestions for scenes/encounters to liven things up?

System is D&D 5e if it matters.
>>
>>48744740

Make the Drow extra assholish. Spamming Darkness, using hit-and-run ambush tactics, poisoned arrows and blades, nasty attack spells, driders. Maybe some kind of boss drider that is also a cleric.
>>
Bump

Also spider eggs that are moving, scare the players, have them be cautious or they hatch
>>
>>48744811
I do have a couple of nice drider models...

Any suggestion for specific scenes?
>>
>>48744740

Drow are plenty fun

>>48744811

Is a real awesome way to spice up the fight and give it some flair. You could also have the drow they meet be part of a larger group that becomes a recurring problem for the party to get a sense of connectedness in teh world.
>>
>>48745424
Hehe, when the fought the Fiendish Spider the first time there were pulsing egg sacks hanging from the web ceiling. If cut open a spider swarm came out.
>>
>>48745513

They are walking when suddenly Darkness gets slapped on them and the Drow start interrogating.

Allows for some non-combat bits for the players to try and find an edge in an ambush situation before the fight breaks out.

Drow could be in trees so there is climbing/ranged/tricks to knock them off the branch.

If you want to rock these guys as a recurring group you could have the drider be resurrecting the spider when they find it so you have a combat encounter with a timer as they try to interrupt the ritual before they have even more bad shit to deal with.
>>
>>48745569
cool.

I wasn't thinking of a resurrection angle. I was more focused on the rescue 'groot' angle. But I'm going to have to think about that. I like the idea of their having, suddenly, two possibly opposing goals.

Choices and all that.
>>
the spider's egg sac hatched and now thousands of baby fiend spiders are crawling all over her, grown larger than they should have by feasting on their mother's corpse.
>>
>>48745705

Hell if you want you can tie them into one so they don't forget the treant.

Drider is gonna sac it in the ritual or have it be the first meal of the resurrected spider BOOM instant drama and focused narrative.

It's all about what you feel the story could use more of.
>>
File: draegloth abomination.jpg (51KB, 368x450px) Image search: [Google]
draegloth abomination.jpg
51KB, 368x450px
>>48744740

This is what I was thinking at the moment. All subject to player choices of course. Heck, they may not even go on this hook for all I know. There is a green dragon/goblin hook for them that is an option (or their own ideas) as well.

But this is what I've got.
Scene one (Party discusses adventure)
> Players discuss rescue
> Decide to go: assumption

Scene two (travel)
> Travel there
> Use travel sheet
> Stone Golem is standing alone, vines growing over it. Does not move (flavor encounter)

Scene three (arrival)
> Arrive in area
> Spooky area
> Everything dead
> Some webs still up, deadens sound travel
> Attempt to find lair
> Area is changed because of time/deterioration of webs
>Need to search
>Tracking
>Perception
>May use stealth to avoid trouble, link to scene five

Scene Four (early fight)
>Drow Patrol (first warning that there is drow problem
>If detected they see a drow patrol, can ambush
>If fail to detect (stealth and perception both sides) then party is ambushed - use darkness ability
>See drow
>Fight drow

Scene Five (find Groot)
>Large group of drow focused on harvesting Fiendish Spider body, possible resurrection.
> Drider monster held in reserve
> Stop drow from freeing him
> Mage type is poking around treant body
>>
>>48745771

Fuckin' beautiful
>>
>>48745821
Thanks.

Follow up question. While they have dealt with drow before, I have been careful to make sure they never had 'proof' there were drow. Part of the campaign thing in the background has been 'there are no drow' from the area elders.

So the players have dealt with drow like twice now, but haven't been believed that they actually have (PC's are very young drow, so it is written off as youthful imagination - probably human influenced at that).

What do you guys think about having the drow 'dissolve' after being killed. Leaving gear behind, but no bodies. Prior to this they just never had the option for recovery. Or didn't think of it. But they consider it an issue now to prove there are drow out there causing trouble.

Suggestions anyone? Or just go with it and this is the time to let the drow become a thing?

My only hesitation is that a new player is joining soon and part of his background knowledge is an encounter with 'a hand crossbow bad guy that moved like an elf' that was supposed to be a 'hey, that was a drow' thing. But it isn't key.

Still thinking about flavor and fluff on all points to make it more something.
>>
>>48745954

I really like the dissolving bit.

For flavor/fluff easy mode is that their goddess is doing it because she has a big plan in the works and needs people to forget about drow.
>>
>>48746111
That actually is the case.

The 'hidden' arc is that an artifact, an axe, has been recovered. This axe can cut through the planes creating a passage - worse it can be used in one part of the world and have an effect in another. Lolth is manipulating the situation in an attempt to return to this plane.

The Fiendish Spider was a leek from the axe being used in a northern barbarian area (guys who took it).

The upcoming hook is that the barbarian that will join them has seen the axe, and in fact left his tribe over its recovery (bad evil thing). If the barbarian discusses his leaving of the tribe and why - describes axe, then it should all come together for them (everyone has a piece to the puzzle, but they have to put it together in their background sheets). If not, then not. And demon war incoming.

Yeah, I think I will go with the dissolving then. If nothing else than for the look on their faces.

I'll link it to daylight, 'as the body hits the ground the sun seems to shine down on it more intently and it dissolves'. Drow armor used to do that back in 2e. So why not.
>>
>>48746235
>leek

Should have been 'leak'. Although I suppose it could be a leek from where it is from...
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.