[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your feelings on starting wealth? How random should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: o-RAINING-MONEY-facebook.jpg (265KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-RAINING-MONEY-facebook.jpg
265KB, 2000x1000px
What are your feelings on starting wealth? How random should it be? Best concept you've seen implemented?
>>
>>48740418
Permanent items must be bought with XP/points based on Social stat, temporary items can be acquired with skill check, but are lost between scenarios.
>>
It depends from player to player. Me, I barely use my wealth for anything, because I'd rather save it for when I need it than spend it on random things, but I know some players will just every coin of wealth they gain to purchase magical items and other useful gear.

Since one player doesn't care much about wealth and another player makes a lot of use of it, randomness isn't fair because then the guy who'd actually use his wealth might get less. Probably the best plan is to just keep starting wealth equal and let players get more or less as they go depending on their feelings on the matter.
>>
Entirely non-random.

But I prefer abstract wealth systems anyway, instead of messing around with exact values of currency. Fuck that noise.
>>
File: 1470091484837.gif (424KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
1470091484837.gif
424KB, 480x347px
>>48740418
I rather like how D&D 5e handled it. It gives you a small amount of starting gold, but you get all the essentials based on your class and background, and are often given two to three choices based on the type of character you want to make. Take the fighter's starting gear for an example:
>(a) chain mail, or (b) leather armor, a longbow, and 20 arrows
>(a) a martial weapon and a shield, or (b) two martial weapons
>(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts, or (b) two handaxes
>(a) a dungeoneer's pack, or (b) an explorer's pack
The packs in the last point being handy package deals containing all the fiddly little adventuring items you would normally have to pick out and buy yourself, saving you a step when creating a character.

>>48741679
My appreciation for abstract wealth systems has grown as time has gone on, or at least reducing the emphasis on plain ol' money accumulation. Exchanging favors with NPCs (or each other) or rare and potent items (like crafting components for making rare and powerful items) is much more satisfying and interesting than just exchanging wealth.

Which is more fun:
>Trading this shard from the axe of a demon executioner from hell, the core of a frost golem we destroyed, and this fragment of magic-resonant crystal
or
>Paying 100,000 gold coins
>>
>>48740418

Depends on the kind of game you are running.
>>
File: rifts_mystic.jpg (292KB, 719x923px) Image search: [Google]
rifts_mystic.jpg
292KB, 719x923px
>>48740418
Starting cash with some random element to it, as well as starting gear for your character/class/whatever. I remember really liking how Rifts of all games handled that back in the day. I really like it when you can get into the process of logistical preparations during CC.
>>
>>48743131
I also like 5e's equipment packs. That alone shaves like an hour off character creation.
>>
>>48743131
What is abstract wealth? How do you track it?
>>
>>48746585

Usually using a score. Depending on the system, you either roll it to determine if you have enough assets to lay hands on the item or you simply pay in.

"Wealth 7" is a lot easier to express "I'm a fucking noble and I'll buy whatever the hell I want." than trying to get a clear GP count.
>>
File: 1470397700346.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470397700346.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>48747249
Does GURPS have this?
>>
>>48747249
So that is like the Dresden Files "resources" stat.
>>
>>48741597
>Not making it so guaranteed items per scenario are bought from a pool based on social stat, and anything else is a skill roll, but every item is temporary
>>
>>48740418
Starting wealth:

Let players determine it themselves.

The higher it is, the more attention a character attracts.
>>
>>48747303
It's in one of the Pyramid magazines. #3/44, specifically.
>>
>>48740418
>How random should it be?
I like the nonrandom version that SR4 used: money was nonrandom, but bought with points, and put through a multiplier 0<X<1 so it's highly for peopel to have the exact same starting value IC.
>>
You're either filthy rich or dirt poor.
>>
>>48748457
That's exactly what I said.
>>
>>48740418

Preferably slightly randomised, but if someone has a damn good backstory for being a wealthy fucker, I'm alright with that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.