[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Master Resources

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: gygax.jpg (107KB, 800x501px) Image search: [Google]
gygax.jpg
107KB, 800x501px
What are your favorite books, articles, podcasts and videos on GMing/DMing?? Please explain why as well. Thanks for your valuable input in advance!!!
>>
File: machiavellis-the-prince.jpg (32KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
machiavellis-the-prince.jpg
32KB, 328x500px
>>
>>48734354
Serious response is the 3.5 DMG. It's Gynax approved. I'm not joking.

Most of the threads we have here about bad GMs, bad adventures, how to GM, tips for GMing, etc., etc., are all answered by reading that book. Things like
>I fudged some rolls/used NPC interaction or other GM control to save a player from a pointless death. Did I do okay, or should I avoid this blatant railroading?
Answered by the section on player death, with the example being a PC who gets run over by a carriage while crossing the street because he failed a roll or two. Do you fudge rolls or otherwise do something to keep him alive? Yes, because that's a shitty way for your level 10 PC to go. It serves no narrative purpose, and he didn't do anything dumb. He had some bad luck, and that was that.

So on and so forth.
They didn't make it one of the core rulebooks just to move more books. There's good information in there.
>>
>>48735859
>Gynax
Fug. You know who I mean.
>>
>>48734354

The books themselves.

The good and newer ones are full of "how to play the game" and "this is how the game should feel like" examples and it's amazing.

At the end of the day it's about agency, fun, and communication. There is almost 0 reason to not tell your players what kind of game you are running, and the 1 reason there is should really only be done if you know what you are doing or just really know who you are playing with.

The story is about the players and their characters and the fun comes from their growth and experiences.
>>
>>48734354

that last appendix in the PHB

it's a good reading list
>>
Anybody here find the Critical Role stuff as useful as I do? I don't think I could be half the GM I am without it
>>
File: download (1).jpg (13KB, 321x157px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
13KB, 321x157px
>>48735871
We sure do!
>>
>>48734354
Donjon.bin.sh is the best collection random generators around.
>>
>>48735859
I was told the 3.5 DMG 2 was the better reference so I never even bothered to look at the first one. Now I'll have to.
>>
>>48738242
I hate Matt Mercer almost as much as Dawnforgedcast. I have no idea why but when either of them talks I want to stab them in the face.
>>
* Master of the Game by Gary Gygax

* Focal Point: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Running Extraordinary Sessions

* Laws of good game mastering

* Lazy Dungeon Master

* Never Unprepared guide to session prep

* Odyssey guide to caimpaign management

* Sly Flourish DM Tips

* Unframed: Guide to Improvisation

* Game Mastering by Brian Jamison
>>
Matthew fucking Colville, of course!

Here's his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcolville/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid
>>
Role-playing Mastery by Gary Gygax was interesting,.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.