[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age of Sigmar General AOS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 39

File: Everchosen Bitches.jpg (705KB, 1536x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Everchosen Bitches.jpg
705KB, 1536x2000px
>resources
pastebin.com/6y3WjKs6 (embed)

Our Horses are Velociraptors edition

>General's Handbook is up
Who can convert it in pdf with hyperlink function?
Rough version is up, still waiting that kat uploader version.
https://mega.nz/#!DxJhhQRa!ObBJiQp43LJK2gC22ioeyXsMNU1_BjwyAR-sjeAoHJg

>OP image album
imgur.com/gallery/12eeL

>Cheer for your faction!
seasonofwar.games-workshop.com/
>>
first for space dinosaurs
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 429x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 429x530px
Free People book when?
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 600x620px
So, two units tree revs, three units spite revs, enough to flexibly use for the different batallions which exist.

Could either buy the official models for them, costing £112.50

Or, I could buy my fourth treelord as a start collecting box, putting me at enough models to just paint spare dryads in spirit host colours for trees, red spirit hosts for spites.

HMMMMM
>>
File: duwang.png (391KB, 774x315px) Image search: [Google]
duwang.png
391KB, 774x315px
>People find it hard to hit point cap
Either live with being under, or change the list - don't be a faggot and go over

>>48721685
With that core you could easily run Drycha + Dreadwood Wargrove @ 2k

For those who need help, he's my list
>Leader
Treelord Ancient: Regrowth - 300

>Battleline
20x Dryads - 240
20x Dryads - 240
5x Tree Revenants - 100

>Behemoth
Spirit of Durthu: Briarsheath - 400

>Other
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Bows - 180
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes - 180
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes - 180
3x Wyldwoods (2 Bases each)
--2000 points
>>
>>48721681
August is 40k, then Duardin in September, Tzeentch in October, probably Aelfs after that.

So late 2016, early 2017 maybe.
>>
>>48721702

Basically I'm thinking of owning:

4 treelords, two as ancients and one modeled as a Durthu but probably usually ran as a second regular one (might magnetise his sword arm at the elbow?)

40 dryads.

10 Trevenants

15 Sprevenants

4 Branchwyches

9 kurnoths, 3 shooty 6 melee.

As many Treekin as I can convert,

About 12+ wood terrain pieces.

And I -may- get a Drycha and/or some more Bow Kurnoths.
>>
File: boo.gif (24KB, 274x200px) Image search: [Google]
boo.gif
24KB, 274x200px
>>48721757
Pick a wargrove/theme and build around that
No point owning 4k+ points if you can't even use a decent list

Get the list sorted, build it, then expand the collection
List i came up with off the cuff for a spooky list
>Battalion
Dreadwood - 140

>Leader
Drycha - 280

>Battleline
20x Dryads - 240
10x Dryads - 120
5x Tree Revenants - 100
5x Tree Revenants - 100

>Behemoth
Treelord - 260

>Other
5x Spite Revenants - 100
5x Spite Revenants - 100
5x Spite Revenants - 100
5x Spite Revenants - 100

3x Wyldwoods (2 Bases each)
--2000 points
>>
>>48721724
That will give me plenty of time to build my army.
>>
>>48721862

Chill. I have two groves I'm planning around, the rest is literally just the contents of four start collecting boxes + three Kurnoth boxes.

The mage oriented one and the start with three woods instead of one one.
>>
>>48721724
>Duardin in September

oooooh fuck

my body(beard) is ready, hoping for lots of AoS bullshit applied to those manlet bastards.
>>
why the fuck is destruction so overpowered holy shit
>>
Hey guys, going to be doing my Freeguilders in Stirland colours, Green and Yellow.

I just don't know what to do with the standard. My freehand sucks, and I have no idea how to make them look more interesting than just a quadrisection without making it look like shit.

Any help?

>>48721947
Get ready for jetpacks, sci fi rayguns and metal diving suit armour!
>>
>>48722019
Yellow and green are complimentary. Use either purple or red and blue (for a less aggressive contrast which you might want if you're using more muted main colours) as a colour for your icon. The quartered green and yellow field should look nice but you want something to make the standard stick out a bit. I'd recommend a nice contrast. Sleepy af, sorry if this makes no sense.

On a sleepy af tangent you can use contrasts as shades as well, that is to say getting a tonal contrast as well as a value (brightness) contrast. For example washing green with red or yellow with purple. You only generally want to glaze for this unless you're doing a more cartoonish composition.
>>
>>48722019
Sorry, didn't see the freehand sucking bit. You can simply use micron pens and such to draw it on if you lack confidence or paint over a transfer with your desired colours. A simple, blocky design like a hammer, sword or tower might be easier.

You will want to practice on a piece of paper a few times before doing the banner proper. Remember to brace your wrists together and have your elbows firmly on your desk when doing fine details.

Best of luck friend, it's really not as hard as it looks. Simply try to be neat, don't have to use loads of tiny lines and fiddly stuff to get a nice result.
>>
>>48722104
>>48722134

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into using micron pens, and get some practice in. I don't have the brush control yet to get it right with paint.

Didn't know that shading with contrasts thing either, so that was cool too. Thanks again.
>>
dot those armys that got battletomes.

did a lot change in regards to the orginal warscrolls?

i want to make a gnoblar army led by the minimum amount of ogres but i dont know if thats still viable in the future?

(i dont think ogors will have to wait long right ?)
>>
In an incredibly shit situation and I need to distract myself. Can you guys tell me a cool story? Of a game you had or a cool opponent or your fave hero maybe. Stuck away from my paints and minis and don't want to read about people dying but I'm on an AoS kick at the moment. I'll pay you back in painting tips or advice for lists/narrative.
>>
>>48722169
No worries man, please post them up on here when you're done. Shit or amazing we need more content that's not WAAC nonsense.

Anybody got more questions? I'm a decent painter and need to distract myself.
>>
>>48722179
The app is updated as the scrolls are, just delete and re download them. Same should go for the GW site. Why not just run some gitmob guys converted out of gnoblars? If you want grots there's lots of choices there. Is ita a key word thing ?
>>
>>48721983
Someone yesterday went over that.

Basically the whole problem is that Destruction is based on factions that play high damage and survivability, but slow and low model count armies. Their slowness meant they had the harder time initiating leading to them being easier to outmaneuver and usually being initially charged instead of charging themselves. Their lower model count meant that losing a unit or even a few models from a unit would greatly reduce the overall power or the army, eggs in one basket thinking.

In AoS, because models have ranges for their combat attacks, pile in is relevant, and battleshocks are effected by sheer number of removed models, the game actually favors smaller elite units due to their flexibility and ability to apply the maximum amount of damage since its easier to pile in 6 Ogres instead of 20 Blood Warriors and have them able to swing. So the low model count per unit is actually a good thing now, making that drawback, built into them on a mechanical level, pointless or even a net benefit.

The other draw back, their slow movement, is almost immediately negated by the Alliance Destruction rule. The one where every unit within 6 inches of the general moves d6 in the hero phase. Suddenly Ironjaw Brutes, normally rocking a slowass move 4 are now looking at 7-8 move on average rolls over the course of the hero and movement phase, not only negating the disadvantage but actually making Destruction's base units FASTER then their competition in most cases. So that one rule fucked up their biggest disadvantage. Just take a Warboss on a mawcrusher or an Ogre on a Stonehorn so they can keep up with the rest of their units and build the rest of the army around them in a wreaking ball style strategy and watch them crash right into the opponent.

So Destruction gets the bonus's of being the "damage faction" with almost none of their drawbacks mattering in the grand scheme of things. Perfect recipe for a broken faction.
>>
File: Throgg_8Edicion.png (2MB, 1054x1235px)
Throgg_8Edicion.png
2MB, 1054x1235px
Trolls/Troggoths are cool.

that is all
>>
>>48722226
Also consider the fact that destruction lately has got 3 new battletomes, I think that when all the other faction will get their battletomes the game will be a little more balanced
>>
>>48722226
I find all this moot because I am still able to pin people down as Duardin and grind them to dust and the new steamhead will probably double that.
>>
>>48721922
>>GW explicitly explains they know they don't write balanced rules with point and even explains this in the Generals handbook

I want an actual source to this. Not the "If you want to you can change stuff" shit they mention in every book for every game since 2004, remember... GW has ALWAYS said you can change things and not follow the strict rules or points, for 40k, Fantasy, and the LOTR lines. AoS isn't some messiah or enlightened prophet on doing whatever shit you want in the war gaming world, not even close. GW just didn't give players a basis of sorta-fairness from the get go so people assume the game was only designed for imagination land, instead of something with the basis for the basic "pick up and play" model that is the most popular through two players saying "XXXX point game?" and working around that agreement.

I want to read them say and acknowledge, officially, that they know they don't write balanced rules with the points costs they presented in the General's Handbook. I want to read these explanations.

If its true that would be the most honest and open statement I've ever seen from GW in years, if that is false then this is just a bad meme that deserves to die for fucking up 2 threads already.
>>
>>48722226
I actually played a game against Destruction the other day. My new Stormcast against Beastriders. He ran 3 Stonehorns of various types, 2 units of Mournfang, and a Skal. I had 33 models across 12 units to his 12 in 8.

At the end of the game I was down to 5 models and he had a Frostlord on Stonehorn left. Even with teleporting the Retributors and using Skyborne Slayers to spread my forces out, I was reduced to the units I was basically hiding, and honestly don't know if I could have finished off his dude. That Frostlord just deletes a unit per turn, no question. Absolutely brutal, if I had played a foot list that all started on the board I would have been tabled 100%
>>
First to point out that 20p over or under ain't cheating.
Also, a unit don't block LoS by default. You have to play Warmahordes for that sort of game.
>>
>>48722571
>First to point out that 20p over or under ain't cheating
>Hey anon i was only 20k under on my tax returns, that ok?"
>no you retard
Agreed points limit is the be all and end all, the only acceptable over limit, if anything, is 1 point
>>
>>48722353

Well, if 30+ years of Warhammer and 40k ain't enough to prove my point, Ill reference to the actual release of AoS, where GW says "screw points, you go figure balance out!".

Apart from this, in the actual batrep in the actual fucking Generals Handbook, they even show how its ok not to take points to seriously, by playing a game where one side is a bit over, and one side is a bit below. Just to give retards like the migrating flood of 40kids a reference that the points themselves ain't written in stone.

>"As they provide an excellent framework for pick-up games as well"
>"Provide an excellent framework for"
>"Excellent framework"
>"Framework....."

Just on the top of my head.
>>
>>48722599

Hey, look, its that retarded 40kid again!
>>
File: Bait0004.png (75KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
Bait0004.png
75KB, 625x626px
>>48722639
This is why Open play is shit - you can't trust retards to not sneak shit in
>hurr it's just 20 point bro
>so what if it allows me another whole unit
:^)
>>
File: m1k16s-3v3NKatdyj-3kFIg.jpg (10KB, 205x225px) Image search: [Google]
m1k16s-3v3NKatdyj-3kFIg.jpg
10KB, 205x225px
>>48722571

I don't think there's anything wrong with being 20p over if it's unavoidable... however...

>Anon, I'm at 2020, the lowest points I can remove would knock me down to 1950
That's fine!

>Anon, I'm at 2000 but I just want to give this guy a 20 point magic item
Woah now...
>>
>>48722353
Knowing Age of Sigmar your not going to get real sources anon, your going to get a bunch of vague shit that both sides proclaim support their point of view.

Its stupidly simple, if you and your opponent agree to a points value, you build your list as you wish. If going 20-50 points over makes a difference in your eyes then ask your opponent if its ok to either just take the extra points. If they say yes, there you go! Hell most of the time I would love to say yes as the Triumph table abilities are actually pretty bonkers and game changing with my Varanguard, but that is just me... Or you offer to raise the points value of the game slightly. At my store we play and build lists of usually 1000, 1500, and 2000 but when I play my Varanguard list of 9 and a Gaunt Summoner. I always ask for an exception of the norm and to play 1250pts since the difference meant a third of my models. I never get turned down. Having to try to squeeze shit into lists right at the last minute is simply a person's own fault. Find out the common point values at your shop and figure your shit out before game night. They should have asked for more points in the beginning as they knew it would take more points to work with if they did their damn homework before.

However, should the opponent say NO then you don't really have a leg to stand on. You agreed on a points value and that is what your opponent expected. Either tone down the list and make it work or walk away and find another opponent, maybe one more forgiving or accepting.

Your opponent is entitled to play a game they deem fair and fun, as are you. If their opinion on fair is slightly different from yours then you talk things out and if it doesn't work then you don't play.

That is all... simple shit. There is no rule saying that you are allowed to force people to allow you anything. There is no rule of "over or under 50" or any shit like that. You agree or compromise and play, or disagree and not play.
>>
File: SoulgrinderWH360.jpg (117KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
SoulgrinderWH360.jpg
117KB, 600x620px
What would be a good sized round base for the soul grinder? The square is 100x150mm with a little spare room around the sides, so would a 120mm oval or a 130mm round one work?

I've tried googling for a while, but nothing definitive has come up.
>>
>>48722682

Well, heres an excellent example on how it should work. As I stated, its a "how to play fair for dummies", not a blood pact.

In a game where just about anything goes in by the 100´s in points scale, there are bound to be some minor step-overs/unders. Personally I think "only painted and based" works just as well as a system. Forces all the lazy 40kids that just migrated to actually do something before they deploy their new army´o the month. Most of those tards just play all grey armies anyway (as they always tend to get the new hotness, and cant bother to paint 2500p 40k every month).
>>
Does anyone know what base size the Treelords were on before they were rebased?
>>
File: 1469780160811.jpg (18KB, 510x430px)
1469780160811.jpg
18KB, 510x430px
>>48722682
>>48722660
>>48722639
>>48722571
>My General's Handbook just arrived
>Read the battlereport at page 116
>Players decide for 2000 points
>Stormcast player brings 2040
In the freaking General's Handbook
>>
>>48722682
But there aren't any 20 point magic items. Artifacts don't cost anything. The only things that have point values are units and battalions. The lowest points value for a unit is 30 points for 6 Giant Rats. There are two battalions that cost 20 points, the Royal Morband, and the Jorlbad. Of course, if one player has less than the other, they get to use the triumph table, giving them a buff to their army.
>>
>>48722730
This, 100%. I'm fairly certain it's just salty piss kickers at this stage though.

Is this list viable at all ? All units are marked by tzeentch. It's for an upcoming tourney, which is totally not my style but I just want to meet people. Don't usually play competitively, could someone have a look at it for us ?
Lord on daemonic mount - 140

Chaos Sorceror lord - 140

10 warriors - 180
-halberds & shields
10 pink horrors - 140

2 chaos chariots - 160

5 chaos knights - 200

2 chaos familiars - 40

Also have: 1 gorebeast & 1 normal chariot, herald of tzeentch, blue scribes, lord on disc, 3 screamers & an exalted flamer.
>>
>>48722682
>Anon, I'm at 2020, the lowest points I can remove would knock me down to 1950
>That's fine!

Literally me in the last thread and I got eaten alive.

2020 or 1940 is all I can make.
>>
>>48722802
"Talk to your opponent first and agree a compromise"

Case closed.
>>
>>48722859
Are you telling me that Sigmar won't come and smash our skulls with Ghal Maraz if we go over the point limit?
>>
>>48722874
He will, but he's not Santa, he can't deal with all the rules breakers in one night.
>>
>>48722848
Here's the dissonance I think:

>Is it ok to show up to a random game or event over points and assume it's ok?
No

>If I'm over but my opponent says it's alright and we agree before the game starts is it kosher?
Yes of course.

You can never assume your opponent will see it your way, or be understanding enough to let you play it out. People probably read your post and assumed you were planning on just walking into a FLGS 20 points over and assuming it was ok. That's not acceptable to assume at face value, but it can be with a bit of discussion.
>>
General's handbook is a lazy half assed points system that cares not for petty things like "upgrades" or "What if I want to take this unit in anything other than multiples of ten dudes".

So yeah, don't use it as a hard cap, just as a vague hint your armies are roughly the same "size" where size is a ballpark trying to balance out model count and model quality.
>>
>>48722806

The dude just gave an example, how slow are you?

What he means is, if you set out for a 2k game, you end up at 1980, you don't take another 160p model "just to ad up", you stop instead, as you are clearly in the ballpark of a 2k game to begin with.

What people must understand is that AoS is still, with or without the Generals Handbook, a "friendly game" best enjoyed with close friends. Where you forge a narrative and so on. But retards like all the migrating 40k fans that just arrived seriously believe the points are "fair" and that its just like 40k, written in stone, when in truth its not! (Just try to actually read the intro for matched play for crying out loud! Anyone not getting that should just get the fuck out!).
>>
>>48722628
>30 years of blablabla...
>But the "frameword" saying...
>But at release...

Every GW rule book says they provide an excellent framework, starting point, or basis for games. This from GW is common as fuck. None of that is what I'm asking for. I want the explanation that they didn't intend balanced rules with points that the walnut in last thread said.

>Ill reference to the actual release of AoS, where GW says "screw points, you go figure balance out!".
Source please for that statement? That exact saying or are you going to actually do anything but run your mouth.

Besides that nonsense it important to note that what they did at release doesn't matter at all in this scenario. GW have separated open, without points, play from matched play. If you want to say they wanted us to "screw points" at release then CLEARLY its safe to assume they had a change of heart and now encourage their points system.

>But the battle report...
Shows a scenario where they obviously allowed the Stormcast player to go over. None of that makes a RULE forcing your opponent to have to allow you to take extra points every time as well.

I just want real sources to the crazy shit, since that usually shuts up the morons that just shout ever 5 minutes.

The moral dilemma is subjective as fuck.

This guy hit it right on the money >>48722730
>>
>>48721724
>Tzeentch in October

I've heard this meme before, last year when everyone was saying Tzeentch was November.
>>
>>48722783
75x50mm rectangle I think
>>
>>48722760
https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/leagues/2253011/
>>
>>48722760
don't use a base, you measure from model to model and in 40k you measure to the model because it's the hull.

In short, don't use a base for the soul grinder.
>>
>>48722959

Isn't that kinda tiny?
>>
>>48722639
Nope that wasn't me (the 40k kid who doesn't like space and plays brets)

Play points properly or stick to open thanks
>>
>>48722983
25mm square -> 40mm round

This is a joke pdf right?
>>
>>48722983
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-170x105mm-Oval-Base

LOL Wrong LInk
>>
>>48723012
play age of sigmar properly or stick to warmachine thanks
>>
>>48723021
I couldn't find anything else either. I have been using the bases that GW puts the models on. That being said I use this for bases they haven't released yet. Unless you have something better?
>>
>>48722989
I want to give it a scenic base to go with the rest of my army.
>>
>>48722901

You make a fair point. You should never assume anything. But that swings both ways.

If the rules explicitly says, you can chose to play with points, or you can count wounds, or just make up your own silly rules if you want, as it actually does in the Generals handbook. You can also safely assume that you in fact cant assume anything other than what you and your opponent agree upon, and not even then I'm afraid.
>>
>>48723021
Also those are Heros. They seem to put all Heros on 40mm or larger. I like it.
>>
>>48723046
Ignore the hero side entirely, just fucking pretend it doesn't exist, better year, open mspaint and block all that shit out.

Also feel free to put 40x40 square onto 40mm round
>>
>>48723034

This!

If players cant even read and understand the section of matched play, they should get out. Its a "play fair for dummies" at best, but unfortunately enough, the average migrant from 40k is to stupid to understand even this.
>>
>>48723021

AoS models are packaged with bases too large for the model to subtly discourage using them for ranked games. Nearly everything which was on a 25 square is now on a 32 round.
>>
>>48723092
here you go famalamadingdong
>>
>>48723092
Thanks thats is the same thing only smaller.
>>
>>48723107
>if players can't read and understand that agreeing on a limit then going over that limit so your army is stronger than it should be is cheating then they need to stick to open play
>>
>>48723137
yeah but I'm saying, don't put a fucking beastlord on a 40mm round, he's way too small and it would look stupid
>>
So my gaming store is going to have a six turn 3v3v3 this weekend led by our local mega battle GM. The struggle is between 3 Dwarf players defending their ancestor's tombs ( holding a secret 3 of the 5 objectives told to them at the start of the game), Death seeking the bones of an ancient dwarf lord to create a dwarven Wight King and a new undead kingdom in the underdeep (cast some GM made spell while holding one of the secret objectives revealed turn 3) and Chaos seeking to kill the High Lich of Nagash and the current Warden Prince (basically head hunting).

The board is going to be an underground themed board, so flying units cannot cross walls and lose 3 inches on their move due to being cramped in the tunnels.

Each player brings 1000pts with force org alterations made by the GM based on faction:

Dwarven players have to take 1 extra battleline, but get booby traps and can use trap doors to navigate the battlefield. One player must reveal their General as the Warden Prince on turn 2

Undead get a free 15 man Skeleton unit per player, that when completely destroyed gets back up, but can never be near the objectives, the players deploy far away from each other and one player must reveal a wizard the Grand General to represent the High Lich on turn 2.

Chaos' alteration is only one battleline required per player, and only two Behemoth choices between all three players. We also learn the Dwarves secret objectives turn 2 should we make our grand general a leader choice of Tzeentch.

My teammates are bloodbound and nurgle.

Because I'm taking the Tzeentch leader and the table has a few realm gates I'm taking:

Gaunt Summoner: 140
3 Varanguard: 360
The rest is summon points:500

My friends have almost every chaos demon unit imaginable and I can free summon from the realm gates. I normally only play mortals and don't have experience with deamon units.

What are some cool units to summon this weekend in the 500pt range. I should be able to get 2 units at least.
>>
File: GW bases.jpg (192KB, 1086x1544px)
GW bases.jpg
192KB, 1086x1544px
>>
>>48723151
>gw reboots fantasy, gets rid of core requirements
>pushes for lower model count armies
>removes army books so you can use whatever models you want
>get rid of points too, they just made some models never sell

>community backlash

>players who never buy models are outraged
>people burning unpainted models
>people with full mantic armies outraged warhammer doesn't exist

>gw gets some community members to make a point system
>active players who purchase models
>these players played in every tournament last year, without points
>point system ends up being a pretty good adaptation of a couple different community comp systems
>even wound based equalization mirrors a lot of the point values

>40k players "make the switch"
>rampant autism
>arguing about 20 points or 40 points

You know that wargames are supposed to be fun, right? Right?
>>
>>48723151

>This guy hasn't even red the intro for matched play

Nice to let us know. Next time, try arguing about something you know about.
>>
>>48723157
Not sure whether this sounds cool af or tedious af
>>
>>48723177
looking at this you might need the giant dinnerplate that is the 160 given how the 170 oval pinches the corner really hard.

The giant-spider-demon has six legs
>>
>>48723048
Don't put it on a base, just make a display board that matches your scenic bases
>>
>>48723188
You know that literally no other war/board game tolerates going over points, right?
>>
>>48723219
I know that most wargames which are worth playing don't have points.

You dumb fucking retard baby. You think GW spawned shit is the end all and be all of wargaming? Come back to me when you know what a waterloo square is you paste eater
>>
>>48723188

haha, you nailed it sir!
The problem isn't the points system, its the 40k autistic players that cant understand that this is a reference system, and that GW, on black and white, don't write this seriously. Also that the core element of this game is to have fun with the whole of the hobby, not only sitting in moms basement jerking of to pre-written netlist´o the month.
>>
>>48723188

>You know wargames are supposed to be fun, right? Right?

Then explain why you need to houserule out a randomised turn order rule the core document tossed in for no visible reason before the game can even pretend to be playable.

Or do you laugh and clap your hands like a trained seal when your opponent's entire army acts twice? "Oh, what fun! I was worried that player skill might have entered into this and interrupted the fun!"
>>
>>48723219
Yeah, and wars in real life have point values too! To keep things fair.
>>
>>48723219

You know that literally no other war/board game launches without a points system right?
You seem to be lost friend, go home to 40k/warmahordes.
>>
>>48723157
Flamers & 2x3 screamers.
Herald, 10 horrors, 3 screamers, exalted flamer
3x burning chariots
Lord of change, 10 horrors, exalted flamer.

I'd just summon them in a backfield to shoot backbone units and draw forces away from critical areas of the field.
>>
>>48723240
Random turn order is in many historical wargames, so no, I'm not bothered by DICE affecting my DICE GAME.

You know that fantasy wargames spawned after the models right? Like they were just barebone rules because children wanted to see their toys fight one another.
>>
>>48723034
Define "playing Age of Sigmar properly"?

Is there only one version of the various ways to play that is the "correct" one?

Is the Matched play rules, written and released by GW itself NOT the correct way to play even though GW clearly thinks it is?

Or is this just blind blathering?
>>
>>48723245

Because real wars are for fun, right?
>>
>>48723260
>I'm not bothered by DICE affecting my DICE GAME.

Games workshop rules writer detected.

Did you design the psychic phase?
>>
>>48723285
Fantasy players loved the magic phase, so we gave it to 40k to shake it up.

Next we're giving 40k the age of sigmar treatment.

2 wound marines, 5 for 200 points
>>
>>48723240

>Thinking points solves the problem
>glances over at 40k....

You need to get back on the meds dude... Points don't make a game fair (just look at warmahordes mk3), and it doesn't necessarily make it more fun.
If you play a tard that brings everything he´s got, and claims that is fair. If you play the idiot who only brings big monsters, or an all elite army. Then yes, sure, the matched play are a godly gift, to show this asshole he was way out of line (a "to play fair for dummies" so to speak). But if you are an average Joe thats not a complete tool, anyone with half a brain can see that the points system is just a reference system, provided by GW for players like Bob who cant function right without anyone holding his hand.
>>
>>48723230
there are no miniature games without points you fucktard
>>
>>48723265
Don't even go there, it's plain disrespectful to soldiers. This is a game for fun. End of story.

>>48723285
If you hate randomisation, why not play chess or something ? Did you think a game with a model that lets you have an extra turn if you too 3 6s would be a pure logic challenge and not focused on drama and fun stories?
>>
>>48723317

40k had a psychic phase until they got rid of it in 3rd
>>
>>48723256
>>48723235
>>48723230

>All crying children, unable to comprehend that rules matter when playing games
>But my houserule is more important that the actual rules

Cry more faggots.

>>48723188
>Playing a game mode where there are set team limits
>Trying to add more dudes on your team then the limit literally allows
>By definition cheating
>Getting mad that people call that bullshit

Fuck that shit. The game is fun when players follow the rules, not break them and then call autism when someone points out they are cheating.
>>
>>48723331

>there are no wargames without points

>HG Wells intensifies
>>
>>48723285

>I'm out of arguments
>I know I'm wrong
>Time to start cherry picking and look for typos, now I'm sure to win this fight!

You know your the cancer to this community right?
>>
>>48723324

Did you quote the wrong post? Because mine was about holding AoS as a pinnacle of putting fun first when it has -fucking random turn order-

Getting consecutive turns in the early game lets you gain board control and thin down your opponent if you have even a quarter of a brain, giving a near-unassailable tactical advantage. Randomly.
>>
>>48723245
Yeah that's why I play a game with wizards and dragons to simulate real wars
>>
>>48723331
Historicals had no points for decades before GW was a thing. A century before that they were used as a training simulator for various militaries in scenarios based on battles fought-not hypothetical symmetrical deathmatches. You're also discounting AoS which was released without points.
>>
>>48723349
>Don't even go there, it's plain disrespectful to soldiers. This is a game for fun. End of story.

>Unbalanced games suck
>Real war isn't balanced
>Real war isn't fun
>Shit he got me better hide behind traumatised veterans, that'll make me unassailable!

Wow, you're a piece of work, aren't you?
>>
>>48723399

Don't forget that D&D came from Chainmail, the original fantasy war game that also had no points
>>
>>48723376
>Getting consecutive turns in the early game lets you gain board control and thin down your opponent if you have even a quarter of a brain, giving a near-unassailable tactical advantage. Randomly.

>sometimes orders in real wars are cocked up, giving the other side a tactical advantage

boo-hoo

go play chess if you want strategy that isn't affected by dice

oh wait you're too stupid to play chess
>>
>>48723324
>anyone with half a brain can see that the points system is just a reference system, provided by GW for players like Bob who cant function right without anyone holding his hand.

Has GW openly called it a reference system??? I seemed to have missed that part. Unless its just you classifying anything you don't like as optional... in which case houserules please go...

>>48723331
Actually there are a number of historical games that don't have points.
>>
>>48723376
People already responded to you. Random turn order exists in lots of wargames.

And people who bitch about it don't even realize it's not that bad. It's not fucking hard to plan for the double turn, and if you're playing a combat heavy army correctly you should be locked in for those turns anyway. The few times it's devastating is when a shooting army gets 2 turns in a row before getting into melee.
>>
>>48723349
>disrespectful to troops

1. You were the one saying this game is meant to simulate real life wars
2. Soldiers don't deserve anyone's respect. They're idiots too stupid to do anything else
>>
things which are WARGAMES
>WHFB/9e
>warmahordes
>kings of war

things which are NOT war games
>historical wargames

they don't have points, case closed, no prints
>>
>>48723420

Oh yes, there's plenty of real wars where an entire army takes a tea break so their opponents can maneuver and shoot them twice.
>>
>>48723414
Can you explain your position further ? I don't quite understand your bullet points. Please refrain from ad hominem, we're not children.

As a note I'm an advocate of unbalanced matches, they tell good stories. But comparing this child's play to actual war is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>48723457
What happened in vietnam where americans fucked up and got shot a bunch by vietnamese?
>>
>>48723356

>Game is fun when following the rules
>again... glances over at 40k, one of the largest miniature wargames available on the market.

You do know that 40k is the nr 1 "cannot follow RAW" game there is right? You also know its one of the biggest games out their, right?
If there is one thing I know, its that players of GW has a serious problem following the rules as written, and if you play by it, your a rule lawyering faggot who only plays WAAC. That game is so full of un-official moral rules its scary "oh, you can play this, but no one will play you! I'm only telling you this because I'm such a good sports". Faggots from 40k comes marching in on AoS, trying to sound like they always play by the book, when its the exact opposite (they couldn't even play the Stormsurge - Tankshock right, even though it was plainly written, black on white. Oh noes, they needed an official FAQ to get that one straight, and even then they cried like little bitches). And don't try to sound like "oh, me, nah man I don't come from 40k, I play Warmahordes", shit, a warmahorde player has such a nerdboner for privateer press they wouldn't even dream of touching GW products.

So, take your fucking arguments and get the fuck back to moms basement, jerking of to some netlist or something. Only reason you wants points is so you can win with a "I told you so" smirked between your braces, because had you played open play your list would have been over powered. Now that you have points you can "claim" legitimacy to take what you want without being an asshole... well heres a hint, you are one anyway.
>>
>>48723399
>>48723256

It doesn't matter if it launched without points. They NOW HAVE POINTS. That means that when talking about POINTS games no other game period tolerates that shit outside of scenario bullshit that is an exception to the core game. Age of Sigmar is being held to that same standard or proper sportsmanship and gaming and some here are so retarded that want to argue that the idea of playing inside the points limit is not true or a defined standard... Or that AoS should be an exception to that concept.

What the fuck?
>>
>>48723429
You're misquoting me. I'm not that guy. I simply said we shouldn't bring real war into this as its disrespectful of the victims and completely ridiculous as a context for a relaxing pastime.
>>
>>48723399
>historicals
the games that are so rare you dont even hear about people playing them

warmachine, infinity, bolt action, flames of war, xwing.
any and all wargames worth playing have points

these historical you talk about are so fucking rare i am willing to bet you dont even know hen was the last time you even heard about somebody playing a game with them.
>>
>>48723467
> Please refrain from ad hominem, we're not children

Yes, we're not children. That means we're allowed to have arguments without our parents telling us to shut the fuck up.

If you want a miss manners environment where everyone seethes with unconcealed passive aggression instead of just venting at one another, go to Dakkadakka or Warseer or some other namefagging forum where the mods punish naughty swear words without actually caring enough to police tone.
>>
Ok guys, 100 posts in, who wants to start actually talking about AoS?
>>
>>48723507
>bolt action, flames of war

How exactly do you define "historical"?
>>
>>48723422

"Matched play is ideal for school leagues and tournaments, as it provides clear GUIDELINES on the size and strength of the armies taking part."

As they say, it function as a guideline. Or you can just count wounds, or heroes, or make your own shit up, they say that as well. Thats how serious they are about your precious points system. Now go fuck a goat or something, I have heard its great, if you want proof on this, go find out yourself.
>>
How fucking DARE you take more points than the posted limit.

2000 Points 1-6 Leaders, 3+ Battleline, 0-4 Artillery, 0-4 Behemoths

460 Frostlord on Stonehorn, Leader, Behemoth, Yeti-pelt Cloak (roll a die in the hero phase, on a 4+ heal d3 wounds, otherwise heal 1 wound)

360 Stonehorn Beastriders, Battleline

200 Mournfang Pack x2, Battleline
200 Mournfang Pack x2, Battleline
60 Frost Sabres x2
>>
>>48723508
Ad hominem is not about protecting my ego. I honestly don't give a fuck what you think of me. Resorting to insulting someone you disagree with usually shows that you have no objective logical basis for an argument and as such need to resort to subjective emotional structure to prove the merit of your stance and to diminish the other debater.
>>
>>48723507
>because in my hugbox nobody talks about something it doesn't exist

literally google "XXXX wargame club" where XXXX is your state, you'll find people who play wargames more often than you play any of the games you listed
>>
>>48723586

And smug anime face is at the top of the pyramid, right?
>>
>>48723494

>They now have points

Or wounds... or counting heroes.. .or making your own shit up. They say this as well you know, go read a fucking book so you know what you're talking about. Because I'm sure, you, like any other 40kid just flipped to the back of the section.. .haha who am I kidding, downloaded the points pages, and has only just watched that part, fucking idiots.
>>
>>48723586
fuck you, you cum-guzzling, cheating, monkey fucker

if there were points in real life I would fucking duel you and kill you, but since there's no points it probably wouldn't be a fair fight you negro-lipped-dog-humper
>>
File: image.png (166KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
166KB, 1242x2208px
>>48723533

Going to try this list, it's basically my really basic empire army with my Knights replaced with Dracothians
>>
I want to ask how this is compared to 40k, recently got back into 40k and this age of signar stuff is out. Seems sorta interesting. I know its the new fantasy and is the continuation of the plot.
>>
>>48723533
1500 points

tyrant with gutgorger 160
-bellowing tyrant
-battle brew

butcher
-butchers cleaver 140

40 gnoblars 200

60 gnoblars 300

3 leadbelchers 160
3 leadbelchers 160

9 ogors

was gonna use the tyrant behind the gnobs and use the 3 range of the gutgourger to hit stuff without being hit back.
>>
>>48723494
>Age of Sigmar is being held to that same standard or proper sportsmanship

>autistically posting online about someone else
>calling them names and insulting them
>>
>>48723595
y with points.

any war game with points

historicals are untracable
>>
>>48723629

It doesn't continue the plot, it starts a new one that awkwardly carries over a few old names as gods. Sure, there's continuity of events, but those events include "the entire world is destroyed" and "several thousand year time skip".

As for the rules? Run, run whilst you still can.
>>
>>48723629
>compared to 40k

No flipping through 2 or more rulebooks to find special rules.

You have to pay points to take formations

The FoC is really loose

Alliances are non existent, in open play you can use whatever models you want, mixing factions willy nilly
In matched play you can only mix within each grand alliance (order, chaos, death, destruction)

If you haven't memorized the to-hit and to-wound charts then you don't have to constantly reference it mid play.

Combat resolution is incredibly simple.
>>
>>48723485
>40k, CLEARLY the more successful and most played game in the market is a bad game because it has FAQs and clarifications for a game with 1 core rulebook and 15+ army books
>Implying Age of Sigmar is any better with its infinite summon bullshit and free unit spam in open play
>Implying there isn't an AoS FAQ because people couldn't play certain units RAW
>Implying 40k's unofficial tournament scene is representative of every single player
>Being this retarded

Holy shit you are SOOOO stupid. Your trying to say that people wanting clarifications to rules questions are the problem... Your trying to say that about the #1 game on the market. Guess what sweetheart? The market speaks and the players flock to points and clear rules. It fucking works. AoS was pulling jack shit everywhere, now with points its being flooded by newer players, and based on your little rant, clearly better players. I went from one store with 3 guys playing to 6 with gaming groups in a fucking week. Your just the sniveling baby, not wanting to be told that they have to actually play a game with a third party mediator, which is what the points are... GW putting a standard out for players to follow and balance around.

What a crying cunt...
>>
>>48723507
>when was the last time you even heard about somebody playing a game with them

today
>>48662427
>>
>>48723609
Yet if it wasn't for people flipping to the back section this game would still be dead
>>
>>48723679
>AoS was pulling jack shit everywhere, now with points its being flooded by newer players

needs citation

only proof we have of aos doing well is the annual financial report which analyzed sales before the handbook.

>40k has clear rules

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHA

>Yet if it wasn't for people flipping to the back section this game would still be dead

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHA
>>
TIL that Age of Sigmar General is worse then the 40k and GURPS Generals... shit man.
>>
Can skeletons be vampires?
>>
What's every one working on ? anyone have a cool pic or story to share ? What's your favourite battleplan? Anyone wanna collaborate on a cool story? Anyone need painting tips ?
>>
>>48723758
What do you expect? You got the "Age of Shitmar, am I right, guys?" crowd and the trolls who just want to make fun of WHFB players, both coming together because it's the one place they know they'll find an audience.
>>
>>48723758

Yes, thats because all the 40kids have come here. Implementing 40k standards of "fair play" to a game that didn't need their opinion to begin with.
>>
>>48723712
Has no response, proceeds to laugh because he cant cry anymore.

40k EASILY has clear rules compared to other games. Look at Magic, Warmachine, and other /Tg/ games you fuckwad.

Each rule book has a few pages of FAQ sure but that means jack shit. But you don't play 40k, so you are not only wrong, your ignorant as shit wrong. Just because you don't LIKE the rules doesn't mean they aren't clear.

Again, what a crying cunt...
>>
>>48723758
Whine seer must be down
>>
God sakes this has been going nonstop, when I came here these generals were so relaxed and chill, the fuck happened?
>>
>>48723784
I don't think so, don't they need to drink the blood of a vampire ? No digestive organs might not help with that.

However this is AoS, no reason you couldn't do a Raziel style soul eater lich or a vampire that was only barely or poorly resurrected and as such is skeletal in appearance.
>>
>>48723624
Jesus thats a big unit of Handgunners. Somehow I can't see you being all that popular to play against.
>>
>>48723817

Yes, 40k has clear rules, problem is, nobody follows them. And if you do, yore ether a rule lawyering faggot or a WAAC player.
Its a game with so many moral layers, where its each players goal to create the most over powered list still not stepping over the un-spoken boundaries of his or her´s local meta. Its the game where you follow the rules to an extent, but are supposed to let your opponent cheat with inches and re-do stuff, because thats supposedly "good sportsmanship". Its a game where your the bad guy when pointing to the RAW.

Basically its the kind of game that creates the worst kinds of players imaginable.
>>
>>48723853

The 40k players came over. Some of the shittier elements of the wfb crowd also came back with the release of points.

The more popular something gets, the worse the community.
>>
>>48723927

One unit is too much?
>>
>>48723636
>i guess we dont wanna talk aos : <
>>
>>48723790
Have you or anyone got that guide to taking pictures of your models? I'll post the orcs i'm working on but i don't wanna make a pigs ear of the picture.
>>
>>48723990
>Literally described Age of Sigmar
>Making stupid sweeping generalizations about things you don't know about
> Being this stupid

Your cunt must be sore from all the crying... I'm so sorry for you.
>>
>>48723790
>>48723533

>These poor souls trying to save garbage
just wait for the next general, things might be better later...
>>
>>48723994

Its fun how you can clearly see what "type" of players that came with the addition to points. Its not the "oh great, we didn't want to try out AoS, because we found it hard to balance without a reference system", its the "OH ITS ON!" Type of players. The same Fantasy players that brought everything they had to the table when AoS was first released, but then grew tired of it because you couldn't stand with a grin on your face after a win like that, when all you have at your back is a thing called moral fiber, and no points list to blame.
And the 40kids who are jerking of to netlists in moms basement, always playing grey armies. Going all out to make the most WAAC list of all times, but didn't want to try AoS out because of reasons already covered for Fantasy players.
>>
>>48723853
>you will never be comfy in a aosg again
I think the best time for aos was a month or two prior to the handbook release. We had decent moving threads and the 10 pm trolls had finally moved on.
>>
File: 1431829631347.jpg (28KB, 278x417px) Image search: [Google]
1431829631347.jpg
28KB, 278x417px
>>48723712
>Laughing verbally on 4chan instead of using reaction faces
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 413x190px)
image.jpg
22KB, 413x190px
>>48724178

And you laughed when they said they were here to kick the shit out of you.
>>
File: owl.png (136KB, 306x315px)
owl.png
136KB, 306x315px
>>48724144
No fucker you don't understand. The last thread was exactly the same as this thread, like uncannily so.
>first 30 or so posts are lists, lore, and actual pleasant discussion
>sprinkle in some complaining about how destruction is overpowered
>some cunt shitposts about a critical flaw in the game
>shitpost spirals outwards into a huge argument that consumes the entire thread
>~140 post mark, someone rolls in "oh gee the thread is shit, but can someone answer this question/give advice on this list?"
>"just save it for the next general"
The last thread was like this, the thread before that one was like this, the next thread will be exactly the same, you mark my fucking words.
/aosg/ is dead, long live /aosg/
>>
>>48724220
It kicking the piss, not shit.
>>
4chan in general would be markedly improved by auto banning phone posters.

Sent from my iPhone.
>>
>>48724261

My mistake.

But yeah, I was there for that thread, and you know what I saw? A bunch of laughter gifs tossed at a troll without any attempt at a counterargument. He absolutely was trolling, bringing up stuff everyone discussed to death a year ago, but all you did was make meme faces until he declared victory.

And you brought back the victory declaration as a screencap, to laugh at some more.

And look where we are now. Shitposting so thick that nobody can be assed trying to have a real conversation around it.
>>
>>48724165

Agreed man, you can spot them a mile off. The same type of questions "whats the best setup for xyz", the same people sperging out about being under or over points limits by a small amount (completely ignoring that its done in the GHB sample game), the type of people that need to be explicit told by GW "THIS BOOK IS A GUIDELINE WE ARE MORONS AND CANT MAKE POINTS BALANCED" and until they do so the book is to be taken as gospel despite the book saying on so many fucking pages that the game is a framework to have FUN. That now the game has points it MUST adhere to some sort of fabricated standards for wargames. Christ, these players are suffering and ruining my enjoyment of this general. I don't think we will see a return to the comfy until 40k is reworked and they flood back to it.
>>
File: forever-alone_1469827255038.jpg (11KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
forever-alone_1469827255038.jpg
11KB, 214x236px
>tfw no new tomb kings
>>
>>48724178

We had a fine few threads earlier this week and over the weekend.

When it's just phone posters during US work time, the threads generally pretty bad
>>
>>48724338

It's funny because it's usually arguments about shit that nobody actually argues about IRL, since a stores meta is usually pretty easy to set and that's the end of it.

Nobody argues about rolling for turns because we simply don't do that. Being over by 20 points doesn't usually happen but it's a "hey I'm over by half a demigryph, you cool with that?"
>>
Hey guys, I'm intending on creating a Warcraft3 themed scourge army, with this model as a base for Arthas.

What do you guys think? Where's my best bet in terms of acquiring skellies. I'm looking locally, but 10 for 32$ here in Canadia seems overpriced.

What do you suggest as models for the army?

I'm bringing a Zombie dragon for Syndragosa, Arkhan is standing in for Kelthuzad. I'm looking around for abomination-like Miniatures without much luck.

Also I need to create/find Death knights models.
>>
Okay, okay I'll throw y'all a bone and try to start a real discussion.

I'm a long time 40k player who generally tries to avoid playing one sided games, and whilst I'll straight up admit I think this is a shit game, I'll keep that out of the following:

I just started a dryad army because the scenery manipulation thing looks like a lot of fun, sort of throwing up trees everywhere and more focusing on board coverage than actual fighting, killing mainly to clear space to summon more trees.

But then I find out that this might be considered a dickish power build? I mean yeah, I can see room for a fuckton of teleporting ambush shenanigans, shit like charging treelords into people on turn one as tree Revenants scour the backline for vulnerable wizards and artillery pieces.

I guess what I'm saying is, how do I build to maximise wyldwood spam without power building and kicking all my opponents in the teeth?
>>
Guys, just let the argument run its course. Pretty soon everyone will be sick of arguing about it because there is no clear resolution, then the /aosg/ will continue on as normal.

>>48724514
Thats a pretty cool idea desu

I think that model fits arthas very well.
>>
>>48724559
You will 90% always kick people's teeth in with Wyldwoods because people are not used to the terrain tactic yet.

Ironically, your army will be pretty weak when people do adapt to your style.
>>
>>48723817
>Magic

>one rules document

>actual tournament scene

>official judges with testing

yeah, no, you're right, 40k aka babies first car game has clear rules
>>
>>48724387
>you cool with that?

>actually no I'm not

> OMG UR AUTISTIC FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES
>>
>>48724573
Thanks man, you got any ideas? I'm looking around lots. So far though, I'm thinking Tomb Guard are better stated than Grave Guard, so I may run death knights initiates with the Tg warscroll
>>
>>48724650
>actually no I'm not
and then both players packed up their toy soldiers and went home and shit posted about it on /tg/

GOOD END
>>
>>48724695
>>48724650
I'm starting to get the impression that some of these posters don't know how to interact with humans in real life
>>
>>48724739
Hey I'm 200 points over it that okay?

It's not? Get some social skills nerd let me Cheat
>>
Fucking hell lads, I've been sat through this for 2 threads. Let's just talk about the game and stop arguing over this bs.
Anyway can I get a death player to help me out?
My Death army is nearly finished, just gotta pick up the GH and see how many points I gave to fill.
Right now it's:
60 skeletons
6 spirit hosts
10 hex wraiths
Wight King
Cairn Wraith
Necromancer
Zombie dragon with Vampire Lord
Morris Engine
First of all, should I run the Wight King or Vamp Lord as my general, the Wight King's seems useless until turn 2 at minimum whereas I can throw the Vamp's on my fast units, the issue with this is I can't set up Mr Bone's wild ride with the 120 Skeleton attacks or whatever it is.
Second question is what should I fill it out with after this, I think at the moment I've got maybe 800 left, I was thinking 30 more skeletons next but after that I'm clueless.
Final question is how good are the GW cases and can I fit my bigger models in them?
Thanks for any help anons.
>>
>>48724641
>talking about clear rules
>Implying magic has clear rules

Do you have any idea the amount of FAQ that individual cards alone have? Half the cards are errata'd in some way shape or form. Ban lists are all over the place and the meta stagnates anywhere but Standard.

Holy shit you keep the stupid coming...
>>
>>48724514
I would use ogres as abominations, with some greenstuff in where the gut plate usually fits to make guts, and glue and fix a few extra arms and you should be good.
>>
>>48724797

I like how you equate being 20 points over WHICH THE GHB SAMPLE GAME HAS to the same as being 200 points. Not to mention, the game has a system in place that if they are over and you are not, you get to roll on the table for a bonus once per game.

Why does this trigger you so hard?
>>
>>48724650

>oh okay no worries, do you want to throw something extra in or I can just take a minute to rearrange my list a bit
>>
>>48724897

He´s a 40k player. He thinks, in his own way, he has it all down on how to play fair. And now he is here to save the day for all AoS players, who obviously have no idea what they are doing.

>40k Being the nr1 game where players cant follow the rules
>points being taken as the most critical cornerstone in the entire game. You can play RAI all you want, but don't you dare go over with 1 point in my games!

AoS however, don't even need a points system to be enjoyed, they only implemented it for shits and giggles, to give new players a frame of reference, a guideline to follow so to speak, when playing games.

>40k players arrive in droves

All of a sudden the points are written in stone, because they don't know of anything else thats more binding as a rule.
>>
File: 99120208021_TerradonRiders01.jpg (63KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
99120208021_TerradonRiders01.jpg
63KB, 920x950px
So, terradons. Are they terra-ble, or are they terr-ific and I'm just not seeing it? I keep looking at the bolas, and 2D6 (decent chance, with the alpha) wound rolls seems decent. But, that's a 5" range, so they're probably getting caught next turn and have to retreat wasting next turn's shooting. Also, for the same points & money cost I could get more ripperdactyls (which also puts more frogs on the table for my other ripperdactyls).
>>
>>48724923

you know, this is how AoS games used to look like before points came in.

You and a buddies decides to play a game, you present your lists, and gives your critique. Hell, I have even played games where I as a player has said "well, my list seems way more powerful than yours at the moment, you want me to scale it down, or do you want to ad something?" Depending on the scenario of course.
>>
>>48724996

You could use them to harass units already bound. Buff up your close combat infantry so to speak.
>>
>>48725008

That's how it is now, with points. I already played with adults and they still act like adults.
>>
Give it to me straight /AoS/, are judicators bad compared to other shooting units for their cost?
>>
How bad of a person am I if I go nothing but Lord-Celestant on Dracoth, Dracothian Guard, a Carmine Dragon, and min Freeguild Battleline?
>>
>>48724797
S T R A W M A N
>>
>>48725037

Yea me to, we actually red the handbook and plays the game as its supposed to. The points are a great reference, as the book says, but its far from written in stone where I play. 20p here or 20p there, its no biggie, as long as everything is fully painted and based and you can enjoy a beautiful displayed battle that tells a story to the players.
>>
>>48725209

Manly as fuck.

Actually not that cheesy either, especially if your battle line isn't 4x10 handgunners
>>
>>48725190

The question isn't is it worth the points, the question is, do you like the models more? If yes, they sure are worth it.
>>
File: BranchNymph.jpg (269KB, 1051x1306px)
BranchNymph.jpg
269KB, 1051x1306px
>>48723790
More spooky trees. I have had these things for like, 8 months, I wish I started them then. At least then I could start doing some newer models.

Then again, I still haven't finished my god damn Dwarfs.
>>
>>48725286

The question isn't whether I like them, it's whether I want to buy a second unit. Already own plenty of archers/handgunners and I don't want to blow $50 if I'm just shooting myself in the foot (judicators are kind of annoying to fit into a list, being the only 160 point option is awkward)
>>
>>48723927
More the size of it more than anything. I am sure it will be fine, but I can some people getting annoyed at facing that.
>>
>>48725381
meant for >>48723996
>>
>>48725381

I would get pretty annoyed if someone brought two or more big units of handgunners but just one is fine, they're meant to be massed shooting.
>>
>>48725273
>Lord-Celestant on Dracoth
>Freeguild Guard
>Freeguild Guard
>Freeguild Guard
>Fulminators
>Fulminators
>Concussors
>Concussors
>Carmine Dragon
1980/2000

Dwagons
>>
>>48725487
I would merely suggest to make those fulminators in one unit and perhaps consider trading the Celestant on Dracoth for a Celestant on foot + a heraldor, who can make your fulminators charge every turn

But yes, very manly
>>
>>48725209
Speaking of Carmine Dragons:

As far as FW goes, for big nasty Order monsters, is he or the Dread Saurian better? The Saurian has more wounds (that it can recover) and is cheaper, but the Dragon has a MW save, can fly, and has a pretty not bad ranged attack.
>>
I have a question. I'm buying a Gaunt Summoner tonight and I noticed that he can summon a demon unit for free so long as he has a Realm Gate. But that is a terrain piece.

How do I go about placing specific terrain on the table like a Realm gate? Is it like Warhammer 40k where I can buy the gates with points or am I supposed to place them the same time we generate terrain for the table?

I'm still learning the basics and have only been playing for a few weeks so sorry if this is a dumb question...
>>
>>48725754

Dread saurian is good but Carmine dragon can both fly and go 6" faster. And yes the breath attack is pretty good plus it can unbind spells that will shit mortal wounds, which it can also save.
>>
So say I wanted to get the silver tower for me and my friends, would it be worth it for game nights?
>>
>>48725859
you can't take terrain in a matched play game

but in open play it's whatever your opponent agrees to

there's lots of scenarios involving realmgates too
>>
>>48725941
yeah
>>
>>48724923
>you can take a minute to arrange your list that's completely fine.

Now tell that to every other fag on here refusing to budge from their cheat lists
>>
>>48724961
If it wasn't for points this game would still be dead in the water friendo
>>
>>48725994

The point is that this is an argument that literally never happens IRL between anyone above the age of 17. I don't care what they say on a Taiwanese fishing board.
>>
>>48725008
oh no I'm smarter than you and outplayed you, is that too waac? Oh no let me just skip a turn sorry
>>
>>48725968
Dang that is unfortunate, I'll have to just hope for the best then and summon with his spells.
>>
>>48726093

Keep in mind there are specific scenarios that use realm gates and battalions that include them as extras. So there are ways to use it, it's just not like 40k terrain where you can just buy it
>>
>>48726112
Ok, I'll just have to look around, thanks man!
>>
How the "argument goes at my store"

"I'm 20-40 points over is that cool?"

"Yeah I'll take my boon roll"

OR

"Yeah I'll take another gryphound"
>>
I've been thinking how Gotrek & Felix would work in AoS, and so far I got this down
>Felix survives The End Times and resurfaces in the Realms
>He becomes a renowned adventurer and sage on the World That Was
>He creates terms like Aelf and Orruk because his memory is fuzzy and everyone just rolls with it
>He lives a long happy life and creates a long line of adventurers for years to come
>When Sigmar closes the Gates of Azyr the Jaeger family become more of a noble family
>When the events of AoS happen the current Felix decides to take on adventuring like his ancestor before since people can now leave

And that's all I've got so far, I have no idea how Gotrek would work
>>
>>48726126
How does a human survive for literally thousands of years?

Gotrek became a god though
>>
>>48726126

Gotrek was reborn as a fyreslayer after he exploded, he now is trying to put his pieces back together and become a god again
>>
File: 5952587_700b.jpg (55KB, 666x466px)
5952587_700b.jpg
55KB, 666x466px
>>48725286
>>
>>48726121
Hey I'm 20 points over

Ok let's do 1500 instead then
>>
>>48725941
>>48725983
Question, I remember seeing a PDF list of expanded silver tower heroes, I cant find it on the GW site and if it isn't there is it included in the game itself?
>>
>>48726271
you can pay for the app
>>
>>48724996
Rippers > Terra
More Toads
>>
>>48726302
>>48726271

The rules for the silver tower guys are on the app

Which is free
>>
>>48726302
if an app must be payed for, its not worth it
>>
>>48726343

Literally free
>>
>>48725190
Because people are avoiding it...

Yes they are. Stormcasts aren't that good when it comes to shooting. They have their gimmick exploding arrows and plasma cannons but besides that there really isn't much they do that Hand gunners wouldn't simply do better.

As for looks, sure, the archers look pretty striking on the tabletop.
>>
>>48726143
>How does a human survive for literally thousands of years?

He got infected by the Soulblight infection and turned into a vampire.
>>
>>48726373
>>48726343
>>48726340
You have to pay for the rules for the extra heroes

It's a couple bucks though, you're dropping like $150 on a board game, what's $20 more to have another 30 heroes to play as.
>>
>>48726426

Sorry thought he meant rules for using them in AoS. Yeah silver tower is a scam, find the pdf. It's around here somewhere
>>
>>48726382

See I math hammered it out and a min unit of judicators will eek out a slight damage advantage over min handgunners who are standing still. However, they cost 60% more and handgunners have amazing buffs while judicators have literally no buffs at all.

That being said I never only spend 100 points on handgunners while I'm just fine taking 5 judicators as slightly useful tax. Frankly I think judicators with bows should have been 140 as right now they compete with Kurnoth Fucking Hunters.
>>
File: 1463922217286.jpg (326KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1463922217286.jpg
326KB, 2000x1333px
>>48723429
DON'T DISRESPEK THE TROOPS ANON YOU DOUCHE
>>
>>48726452
>>48726426
yeah 150 is actually about as much as I wanted to pay for one thing like this
>>
>>48723219
You know that this literally doesn't matter, right?
>>
>>48726641

There's an advantage to bow judicators though, one small niche that allows them to not be classified as a straight up bad unit: their 24" range and their complete lack of rules requiring them to stand still. The nice thing about them is that they can deploy way the fuck out of the way and be like knight venators who just pick at vulnerable targets while your Paladins do the real killing. They may not kill hordes and they won't crack monsters but they will eat their points value in artillery crews and wizards and keep at it most of the game.

It's not a great niche but that's Battleline tax for you.
>>
>>48726708
I've been using Skyborne Slayers lately. Deep Striking Judicators with crossbows are pretty effective - they shoot twice the turn they come down, hide behind your Liberators/Paladins, and then shoot 3 times the next turn.
>>
>>48726708
I hate people who snipe characters with shooting. I know its perfectly fine rules-wise, it just reminds me they forgot "look out sir" and joining units except for Necromancers and Durthu.
>>
>>48726761

Yeah crossbows have their niche, but even they don't stack up that great against handgunners. (Although battalions do help a lot)

10 judicators will put out 27 crossbow shots and one leader bow shot for 3+/4+/-/1 while 30 handgunners will do 30 4+/3+/-1/1 shots. Of course the judicators are delivered much more easily, don't fold in melee, can move and shoot while being effective and have better armor but still
>>
File: ArdBoyz.jpg (307KB, 2001x573px)
ArdBoyz.jpg
307KB, 2001x573px
My WIP 'Ardboyz, just had a go at Boss' face posting next
>>
File: Waaargh-1a.jpg (144KB, 857x665px)
Waaargh-1a.jpg
144KB, 857x665px
>>48726914

Boss, teeth and tongue still WIP
>>
Hey, Gaunt Realm guy again. Hearing you all talk about the Silver Tower made me look it up and I'm thinking of ebaying the Gaunt Summoner from that set as well. My question is the following though.

He has his own warscroll with his familiar, but I can't find his points in the generals handbook. Does that mean I just use the Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch profile and pay the 120 points for him or is he unable to be used with that warscroll?

It's not the end of the world if he can't be used with his familiars, I can just order another disk of Tzeentch for him and mount him up for two different poses for my army.

If the points for the Silver Tower set exist someone let me know as I'm also interested in the points cost of the Minotaur wizard for a friend starting a beast men army. Would be cool to have a warlock Minotaur to go with his bullgors
>>
>>48722802
Yes, probably done specifically to show people that they shouldn't be pedantic dipshits with those points.
>>
>>48725331
those are some awesome tree ppl
>>
File: AOS silver tower points.jpg (348KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AOS silver tower points.jpg
348KB, 1000x1000px
>>48726954
Here you go.
>>
>>48727093
Thank you guys I really appreciate the help, I'll offer a picture of the Varanguard I'm painting later this evening as a thank you!
>>
So for a 2000 list I got about 1460 of brets. Wanted to even it out, so I thought about a Luminark, which makes 1700. What should I best spend those 300 remaining points on? A griffon guy? 30 crossbowmen? 3 demigryphs and 10 crossbows? I have at least a couple of bret helms spare to bretify the gryphs.
>>
>>48727183

Crossbows and Demigryphs or one "Empire" general on Griffin.
>>
To the one looking for all the extra hero cards the 1d4chan article on silver tower has you covered, even includes a blank for you to home cook ome of your own
>>
>>48727267
Thx. That relic hammer is really too good.
>>
>>48724842
In the hopes of getting the topic away from the sperging raging all around us..
>First of all, should I run the Wight King or Vamp Lord as my general
definitely Vamp Lord. If you give him Ruler of the Night, the bubble is much bigger thanks to the huge Zombie Dragon and his Command is more useful and he's tough as nails
>Second question is what should I fill it out with after this
I'd say some Morghasts and a Terrorgheist because aside from the Vamp Lord, you don't have that many sledgehammers yet and Skellies, while nice enough, don't punch through high saves and small tough units that well
>Final question is how good are the GW cases and can I fit my bigger models in them?
Personally I find GW cases absolutely horrendous for transporting bigger models, but those new cases with the flexible inserts seem much better than what they used to offer.

>>48725190
Pretty much, yeah. Even model-per-model they aren't that shooty. I mean, people keep saying Auric Hearthguard have shit shooting but model per model those guys are twice as killy as Judicators at range. If you look at their point cost, then you pay a premium for resilience they shouldn't even need as a ranged unit in melee is a dead unit anyway.
The only reason to use them is if you can't paint faces for shit, because if you could, you'd be playing Empire Handgunners or Waywatchers as shooty Order Battleline.

>>48726035
The point you're trying to make eludes me. And everyone else too for that matter.

>>48726954
GW released a point sheet for Silver Tower the day the GH came out. See pic related.
Unfortunately, as the Ogroid Thaumaturge isn't a WARHERD model, you can't run him in a pure Minotaur list, but in mixed Beastmen he fits perfectly.
>>
>>48727709
Can I run the tzaagors with beast men?
>>
With Skyborne Slayers, what is the best unit size? Should I keep everyone as base 5men, or expand them to take advantage of no Battleshock?
>>
>>48727750
Again, see the picture. Tzaangor don't have points in matched. You use them as Bestigor stand-ins. What I would do with those 6 Tzaangors is use them for unit champions. So the shield guy for sword'n'board Gors, the dual wield guy for dual wield Gors and the two-handed axe guy as a Bestigor champ. Tzeentchifies the Beastmen quite nicely and lets you use the gorgeous Tzaangors in Matched.
>>
>>48727783

Consider bringing the protectors up to 10 and maybe making the liberators 10 man units. You'll have your Celestant on foots buff wherever you want it so it'll be good to make that alpha as big as possible.

It also pairs well with hammerstrike formation
>>
>>48727810
Sweet, thanks for the answer. With Hammerstrike, would I keep everyone with min squad sizes?
>>
>>48727953

That's mostly practical although I do usually run 6 prosecutors just because your opponent will fucking gun for them if he knows what you're bringing. You want them to live long enough to dump your steaming retributor load all over your opponents face
>>
>>48727786
cool, I'm trying to see if I can use the tower set to always have an extra army if I ever want to introduce a friend to the game easily
>>
>>48722900
So like Krampus but with a warhammer?
>>
>>48723636
Oi, few problems. 100 grots seem fun until your opponent gets wise and focuses down your glass cannon of a Tyrant and suddenly they flee like the little shits they are. Keep the unit of 40 is good as you can tie up an enemy. Drop the 60 unit and take something useful.

Second, never take more than 6 ogors in a unit. This is due both to base size and potential battleshock loss. 3-6 only. And if you go size 6 bring the full command.
>>
hi guys, i have a gw case (the £30 small one) however i am using the foam to carry some of my 40k army (orks if anyone cared)

now i would like to get some more foam that would fit in the case, wherw ould be the best place without having to buy more cases> (to cary a small 1k points army which is mostly infantry)
>>
'sup Aosgen/, posting another Wip of my bronze stormcasts.
this is a new batch of 10 liebarators. I have to admit that liberators look hella good on the table. 20 of them a real joy to bring to the table!
Also, i still have no good ideas on how to call them. Any help?
>>
>>48728370
forgot pic...
>>
>>48728370
Call them incredibly ugly paint job squad
>>
>>48728408
I feel like for some reason you think these look good
>>
>>48728408

Looking pretty alright, I'd recommend maybe cleaning them up just a touch with some brass just to make it look more deliberate but they're coming along.
>>
>>48728306
Well, I sorta object to this.
Calling a Tyrant a glass cannon for example. There's not much that can take down this 7(8) Wound, 4+(3+) save mountain of pure fuck you quickly and efficiently, especially if you have a cauldron-Butcher around to heal him/increase his save.
And the thing with Gnoblars is a) who cares if they die in droves and run like little shits? You get 20 for 20 points LESS than you pay for 3 Ogres. And b) if the opponent dedicates fire to them because he's scared of the 3 attacks per model, then clap yourself on the back, they've done what you wanted them to. And if he ignores them, you can bury whatever he fields under a quite literal bucket of dice. One unit of 60 is enough sure, but if you're gonna field them, 40 is a bit too small. You want a flood of tiny bodies in front of your other shit. And 40 isn't floody enough.

I completely agree on the Ogre unit size thing though.

>>48728115
Crap, now I want to build Wrathmongers with Gor heads and paint them black.
>>
>>48728603

7 wounds and a 4+ is not all that hard to spot remove

In fact I remove units of stormfiends with that profile for a living
>>
Local store wants to do a league or tournament, 2k points. I want to make the most out of my Khorne and unaligned models, what would you guys say are the best picks for such an army?

So far I've got....

Wrath if Khorne Bloodthirster
Mighty Lord of Khorne
Lord of Chaos
Sorcerer Lord (yes I know, don't care)
Bloodstoker
Bloodsecrator
Slaughter priest
Beastlord x2
30 Gors
10 Bestigors
10 Ungors
3 Bullgors
12 Chaos Warriors
5 Chaos Knights
3 Skullcrushers
Chimera

Are there any other models you'd suggest? And before someone says Jezzails, sorry, I don't really want to start Skaven or cherry pick a few units from them, especially Jezzails, plus our store is drowning in them and Ogors.
>>
>>48728560
So do you play with grey armies or did you have your Space Marines commission-made? I'm asking because you act like you're justified talking shit without explaining what you think the problem is

>>48728408
Off to a great start! Hope there's more to come. Wouldn't worry too much about a name, though. It'll pop up when it does.
>>
File: giant-stone-knight-large.jpg (51KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
giant-stone-knight-large.jpg
51KB, 600x338px
>>48728408

They remind me alot of the stone giants in Darksouls 1 at the Darkroot basin.
>>
File: mordhein-city-of-the-damned-03.jpg (514KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mordhein-city-of-the-damned-03.jpg
514KB, 1920x1080px
What are the chances of Games Workshop bringing back Mordheim if the video game is popular?
>>
>>48728720
it won't be called Mordheim, I imagine it would be re imagined much like Warhammerquest became Silver Tower
>>
>>48728675
Yeah, but Stormfiends are just about the biggest thing you'll see in a Skaven army aside from the odd Hellpit, whereas the Tyrant is just one lardass in an army full of lardasses. Nice wall of potbellies in front of him and you won't have line of sight.
>>
>>48728714

I ment to add, i like them, they look like living statues. Post more when you've done the blades i'm intrigued how it will look!
>>
>>48728735
But to capitalize on the popularity of the vidya it would have to be called Mordheim.
>>
>>48728735
You do realize Silver Tower has "Warhammer Quest" written above it, right? Maybe it'll be something like "Mordheim: Narrative Skirmish Wargaming in the Age of Sigmar"
>>
>>48728720
Considering they're bringing back a bunch of old games, probably pretty good.
>>
>>48728759

Eh, stormfiends also come in triplets or if the guys an asshole, some number divisible by 6
>>
a dude on Craigslist is trying to sell this for $750. I'm tempted to email him saying he missed the panic buying for Bretonnia and will have to cut that price in half. It's been up for 2 weeks now

egasus Knights - 4
Knights Errant - 12
Knights of the Realm - 11
Mounted Lord/Hero - 2
Mounted BSB - 1
Questing Knights - 8
Mounted Damsel - 1
Foot Damsel - 1
Archers - 24
Men at Arms - 52 Assembled, with another 12 that can be assembled
And one extra horse
2 KR Multicase Carrying cases for all the models
Boxes of bits.
>>
>>48728547
>>48728560
maybe-just maybe-they're a WIP, and only the metallics on the armour are almost done?
sometimes, the 'tardness in this board amazes me.

>>48728603
>And if he ignores them, you can bury whatever he fields under a quite literal bucket of dice. One unit of 60 is enough sure, but if you're gonna field them, 40 is a bit too small. You want a flood of tiny bodies in front of your other shit. And 40 isn't floody enough.
Units with anythin more than 30 are usually a waste of points imho
- the opponent can just stay outta their way(and laugh as they footslog the entire game)
-fail to deliver a full range of attacks, as rarely more than 10(20 with lances) will ever be part of a fight(so the enemy just needs to throw at them one single durable unit with mystic shield to stall them for the rest of the game)
-be a pain in the ass to move and watch as they fail to move decently troughout scenery
-suffers horribly from battleshock

etc etc. really, stick with units of 30 or you'll be simply throwing away points.
>>48728714
thats my idea. I'll add some green mold later, then some battle damage, some dirt and call it a day.
>>48728764
thanks! that was my intention from the beginning. And also, to speedpaint them.
I began with doing white marble stormcasts but couldn't find a way to make them fast. Tried but the results were disappointing. i work 6 days a week so free time is extremely limited.
Also, white marble looks gorgeous when properly made(aka a LOT of glazes)when looking at the model close, but seen the army from afar they llok just unpainted, white primed models.
so i stripped everything and began anew.
>>48728799
My dick is so hard.
even tho, aos works really good as a skirmish game with just a few tweaks.
>1 hero only, no more than 100 points
>every model acts as an individual
>players alternate models activations and not entire turns
>battleshock is global
>you choose which enemy to pile in on
>>
>>48728836
Yeah, just saying the guy isn't quite as big a fire magnet, because let's be real here, if you focus on the Tyrant because fearless Gnoblars are too scary for you to face, then you seriously have bigger problems.
>>
>>48728709
They just look shit and messy.

And no I play decently painted brets
>>
>>48728865
Worth less than £200 on ebay
>>
>>48728910

It's more of a target of opportunity for mortal wounds, which I won't waste on plain Ogors or grots.
>>
>>48728928
>play decently painted brets
pics then plz.
>>
>>48721702

>even in the official example on how serious GW is about the points
>Read the damn book and learn to AoS faggot
>>
>>48728908
>Units with anythin more than 30 are usually a waste of points imho
Well, the thing is with Gnoblars, each one has a missile weapon of like 6" so that a lot of them can do something at least and if you use them, you don't use them for the damage. You make a thin line of them and advance them in front of your Ogres. Anything that charges them risks a bit of damage from the trappers and is then stuck wading through this sea of gribbles. If you have Leadbelchers, they very much enjoy being able to use their guns to their fullest for once and if you have a Stonehorn, the Gnoblars are kinda the tongs holding the enemy in place so that your sledgehammer can hit them. And it doesn't really matter much that they'll never all be in range, because the opponent will focus on "holy shit three attacks in melee and at ranger per model" and forget that they're shitty attacks.

>even tho, aos works really good as a skirmish game with just a few tweaks.
There's actually a Mordheim: Age of Sigmar fan project. Looks pretty nice so far imo
>>
>>48729022
But then, using them as shields you won't need more than 30. bringing something like 100 is too much imho, and you can use those points for something else.
OR you can bring 200-300 and win every game because your opponent will drop halfway the first movement phase.
>>
>>48729070

Is it better to take one big 30 model blob as your chaff shield or 3x10 size units?
>>
>>48729088
one big unit. small units won't last the carge. Big units can be used to charge big guys preventing them for attacking anything else for at least one turn. You don't care your units have a shitty shield-they are a lot. its pretty hard so see any units inflict 30 wounds in a single round.
Also, with 30 models you can spread and have an incredible field control.
>>
File: IMG_4384.jpg (45KB, 384x469px)
IMG_4384.jpg
45KB, 384x469px
>>48728408

Well, I like them. I never really got in to the whole GW bright and sparkly gold theme.
You could actually go any ways with these, ether full blown OSL- 40k thunder hammer-style with blue light, or just make them medieval regular hammers and sword. But you need to implement a secondary color, what do you intend to paint the shields with? With such grimdark colors, Id even suggest (even though its to much on the official GW once), to paint the shoulder pads in that very same color.

For a WIP its 8/10 and a good step towards "id play this!"
>>
>>48728974
But let me put it this way: Would you rather toss those mortal wounds at the lone Tyrant or use them in a desperate attempt to stop those 6 Ironguts advancing on you?
It's all about threat management. If I want to keep that Tyrant safe, I'll provide you with so much scary shit that you don't have the attention to spare to take him down. Also and this is probably the big one, aside from keeping the Gnoblars from running and generally being a great beatstick, the Tyrant doesn't add all that much to an Ogre army, so I wouldn't care as much about my Tyrant dying as I would, say, a Harbinger of Decay dying in a Nurgle army, who is basically the backbone of any army he's in.

But I do get that you probably can snipe him, though with 7 Wounds, at least Kroak and Stardrakes will take a couple turns to whittle him down.

>>48728928
Gee, verdigris effect looks messy. Oh no, there's no possible way that could have been planned now could it?
>>
>>48729152

Tyrant, no question. Devoting my regular shooting to the tyrant is just overkill, using it on a full unit of ogres is much more reasonable.

Saving my D3/D6 mortal wound spells/cannons for the general is normally the standard procedure.
>>
>>48729186

Speaking of, my Army regularly shits out 2d6 + 1d3 mortal wounds at range per turn, is this decent at all? Should average around 9 every turn I'm in range.
>>
>>48729186
Yeah, but that's also the reason people hate war machines. There's no buzzkill quite as big as having your general killed before he can do a thing.
>>
>>48729118
>>48729088

I have thought about this for quite some time. I never really got the idea of big units in AoS.
Big units need to think about that that they suffer greatly from pile-in moves and are vulnerable of aimed charges. Cover up a great part of the field, yes, but they are also clumsy to move around without breaking coherency. And the same can be said about 3 smaller units covering the same amount of models.

Now, give me real reasons why 3 units of 10 models is worse than 1 unit of 30, whiteout any special rules given from numbers.

Small units benefits from
>unit leaders (you get 3 instead of 1)
>Special weapons (sure, you might just get 1 for every 5 or 10, but you can often set that item on the champ, and thats a bonus attack right there!)
>Same coverage up the board
>able to tank just as much, just separate charges
>able to score more objectives
>able to mix up weapons in some cases (such as brutes) to maximize efficiency on different targets

The list could go on, but I'm just not seeing the big idea on larger units. GW should have translated the old "hoard" rule without making it ridiculous. a small buff towards any unit featuring a great many bodies should have a benefit over small units working independently (such as a +1 to hit we see on so many ranged units above 20 models).
>>
>>48729152
>Gee, verdigris effect looks messy. Oh no, there's no possible way that could have been planned now could it?
It does and it doesn't. Wanted it to be messy but used way too much and couldn't cover it as much as I wanted with drybrush alone in certain spots. So i'm just gonna use some traditional layering for these and use less verdigris on the next batch.
Shields are half green/half red.these were my first test models for the shield(see pic). tried to avoid glazing and blending to keep mit simple and fast but like this looks kinda bland, so im gonna go for a gradient from black/dark green to light green when i will have the time to redo them.
As said before, time is my worse enemy and I don't want to play with a grey army, so im doing them super simple to make em fast.
i literally did the armours in a couple of hours for 10 models.
>>48729120
Thanks! i'm torn on 2 styles for the hammers/swords:
from bottom to the tip of the hammer/sword: from rusty to clean to incandescent
or
Black with some extreme highlights with crackling thunder on the whole weapon

>>48729253
Well, no. Small units suffer battleshock a lore more, can get wrecked a lot more easily from one charge, suffer incredibly from double turns and usually never get the chance to fight back if charged(or the counterattack is so feeble that almost doesn't count).
Shields of 10 are just useless because they will not last 2 atcivations(and, in case of weaker models, they won't last even 1).
Also, big units benefit greatly from one single buff/spell; one mystic shield on 30 models affect all of them, with 3 10 men squad you can only buff some of them-and thats a huge difference.
Also, +1 to morale every 10 men.
A lot of "hoard"units(like grots)benefit greatly from goin in numbers(+1 to hit every 10 model over 20), and also-when using lances and pile ins-you can roll so many attacks it becomes ridicolous.
>>
>>48729234

I totally feel you but it's not just war machines, it's wizards, special shooting attacks on monsters and hero abilities. Skaven have to go out of their way to NOT shit mortal wounds on people. It's reasonable to imagine your group won't skew it towards mortal wounds but you'll have to adapt to the fact that they're going to be present.

>>48729233

Too many
>>
>>48729253
There are a couple of fringe benefits to big units.

Imagine one of your 3 units is charged by Liberators and another by Retributors. Now obviously the Retributors will deal much more damage. More likely than not, they will kill the unit they charged and one of your flanks will be completely screwed now, the ranged duded behind the front line in jeopardy. With the big unit, you could have spread the losses out and with the Battleshock bonus for bigger units, you might have prevented a couple casualties (or created more because Battleshock would have caused overkill).

But generally speaking, you are correct, there is little to no reason to bunch stuff up if it doesn't have size bonuses, with one exception.

With spells now being once per turn, you can obviously only buff 1 unit with them. And if the buff is good enough, you want it to cover as many models as possible.
In other words, why would I split my 10 Blightkings in 2 units if that means Daemonic Power can only buff half of them?

Oh, and most units in the game don't have special weapons you could give to squad leaders.
>>
>>48729327

You're right on the buffs but wrong on the wounds/counter attack part. You can put MSU in the same general blob as one big unit (easier with Stormcast) but the advantage is that wounds can't carry over between units, so if one of your liberator squads gets hit with 14 failed saves, you only lose 5.

This is more debatable with Stormcast since they want that Castellant buff on non-tax liberators so going for 10-20 is fine but for shit like judicators, totally go MSU
>>
>>48729359

Too many ranged mortal wounds?
>>
>>48729405
Hell a thudertusk alone is putting out a guaranteed 6 mortal wounds per turn until wounded. As previously posted Skaven fart out ranged mortal wounds left and right.
>>
>>48729405

Unless those are warp fire throwers, yeah
>>
>>48729389
I run liberators in units of 10 mostly because they look pretty good, but thats another point completely.
i actually find the castellant buff pretty good on them. i want my liberators to stall enemy units as long as they can, and a unit with a 3+/2 wounds per model does that just sooo good.
As per the "big units" pro and cons, big units still work better as shields. you said that having multiple units attacked the opponent can waste attacks. thats true. pojnt is, you don't want the unit to be killed. you want it to suffer(even more casualties)but to stay right there.
With the chance of double turns you can't allow an enemy to disengage, because the other smaller shield units won't be able to stop the enemy from doing what he wants for one more turn.
Also, i Aos activating more models with a single combat activation really makes a difference. charging with 2 small units-even if it gets more models in combat because you flank-can still backlash as the enemy can attack one charging-but unactivated unit and hurt is bad befoire it piles in and attacks.
It...it depends. Both formations(big and small)have pros and cons. big units are better suited for defence and small units are a lot better for manouvering and attacking.
>>
>>48729419

Tbh a thundetusk is going to either get alpha'd or at least wounded really quick. He'll probably get one 6 mortal wounds hit off and most likely die to a hail of arrows.
>>
>>48729455

Yeah liberators work fine in big blobs, I just wouldn't recommend it with free guard or skaven.
>>
>>48729478

Uhh that was two different statements that fucked up.

Yeah liberators work in big blobs, but also do fine (and are required sometimes) with MSU. Guys like blood warriors should almost always MSU. I just wouldn't recommend MSU with free guard and skaven.*

Fuck me
>>
>>48729478
>just wouldn't recommend it with free guard or skaven.
no dude, its the opposite.
Skaven NEED to be at least 20.
>>48729545
>Yeah liberators work in big blobs, but also do fine (and are required sometimes) with MSU
depends really on how do you play them.
buig units of lib. serves only as living shields. MSU lib instead can move a lot easier., hit a lot harder and can be mor euseful in a wider range of situations.
it all depends on the army comp, on the opponent, on how big the game is...
thats what I love os aos.
While on whfb you were forced to pick certain set ups, in aos almost every option is viable and different strategies effective in their own way.
>>
>>48729419
>>48729441

It's a chimera, Bloodthirster, Slaughter priest.
>>
Guessing from the Silver tower figs will all the future Aelf releases follow the dark elf aesthetic?
>>
>>48729630

That's just fine.
>>
>>48729625

Yeah I kinda ended up saying the exact opposite of what I meant, whoops
>>
>>48729655

I just wanted some ways to remove pesky units while still being mostly in-theme.
>>
>>48729736

That's different because those abilities all require melee besides the chimera who is just some spot removal.

They all also have to roll to hit or something. It's different than 3 thundertusks alphaing 18 mortal wounds on turn 1 with absolutely no dice rolls or saves from the victim
>>
>>48729835
I just wish they'd nerfed the thundertusk when transitioning to the battletome.
How could they be so blind to the absolute brokeness that is that fucking beast? it just insane.
>>
File: freeguilders.jpg (198KB, 800x534px)
freeguilders.jpg
198KB, 800x534px
Freeguild/Collegiate Army, 1000 Points

Reposting from last thread, no replies. How's my list?

Leader - 200

Freeguild General - General

Amber Battlemage

Battleline - 440

3x10 Freeguild Guard

2x10 Freeguild Handgunners

Other - 360

1x3 Demigryph Knights

1x10 Greatswords
>>
>>48729835

They're all ranged, only rolls involved are the 4+ for the slaughterpriest.
>>
File: IMG_4387.jpg (53KB, 414x371px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4387.jpg
53KB, 414x371px
>>48729327

Well, first of what >>48729389 mention. Just the fact that, sure, you might charge my 10 guys, but only 10 guys will die, then I have 20 guys to countercharge you in my turn. If I had one big blob of 30, you might kill 12-15 guys, and then my guys would not only be stuck in close combat with said unit, with no other option to make but to advance, but also be another 5 guys down.

How do they suffer more from battleshock, explain please. As I understand it, they have the same bravery, but again, wounds don't carry over. Sure, you might loose the entire unit, but you still have 20 good men left standing, instead of loosing 8, rolling poorly on the battle shock test, loosing another 4, down with 12 in total of your big unit of 30.

But you are right about the buff. a +1 arm for instance, is much more an advantage on 30 guys than the 10 guys at the front.

As for the painting. I like them a lot, but would go full red on the shields, the brown looks to much like the metal for my taste.
As for the weapons, Id go full retard OSL if I where you and owned an airbrush, these guys are screaming for some extreme effects to fit with that grimdark theme. Failing that id still go "power sword effect", with the rust theme, you would only ad dirt on dirt so to speak, making an already grimdark model, more grimdark. You want to make your models like ancient statues awoken, filled with arcane energy ready to deliver justice to the wicked!
>>
>>48723595
>literally google "XXXX wargame club" where XXXX is your state, you'll find people who play wargames more often than you play any of the games you listed
You just gave me 1000 new friends.
>>
>>48730015
>mention. Just the fact that, sure, you might charge my 10 guys, but only 10 guys will die, then I have 20 guys to countercharge you in my turn. If I had one big blob of 30, you might kill 12-15 guys, and then my guys would not only be stuck in close combat with said unit, with no other option to make but to advance, but also be another 5 guys down.
But you would lose a combat activation. Also, you might not even get the next turn. its all on a dice roll, and a good general is prepared for everything. Also, if you keep your enemy grounded in combat, its usually a good thing! big blobs of model usually don't want to stay out of combat; they want to stay there because they have the advantage in a multiple-turn fight.
>>48730015
>How do they suffer more from battleshock, explain please. As I understand it, they have the same bravery, but again, wounds don't carry over. Sure, you might loose the entire unit, but you still have 20 good men left standing, instead of loosing 8, rolling poorly on the battle shock test, loosing another 4, down with 12 in total of your big unit of 30.
Thats the idea.
you don't want an entire unit wiped out, leaving enemy control of acertain side of the board-you want to stay there. Small units suffer more because they can get wiped entirely with a single roll.
Also, every 10 model you get +1 bravery.

MSU have a LOT of advantages, and are usually the best choice for any elite/multi wound unit. But big units have their own advantages, its just situational.
Depends a lot on the unit played, the role you want it to have, army comp, enemy comp, battle size, missions, etc...
>>
>>48729967

Bloodthirster has to actually wound something in melee or roll a 6+ to do mortal wounds, depending on the thirster

Chimera has to at least roll for damage

All of them are very much not range 18" auto 6 mortal wounds on an 8" move unit
>>
>>48730397
>All of them are very much not range 18" auto 6 mortal wounds on an 8" move unit
nothing is like that piece of shit
Eevrything so far has been managable and pretty much balanced when points came out
anything but not that
why the fuck didn't they nerfed it when they got the chance
>>
>>48722543
>>48722226

So then what does that mean if I play beastclaw ogors, and am losing more games than I win? by a large margin...
>>
>>48730599
I have no idea on how you are managing to do that.
Objectively speaking, beastclaw is the strongest faction out there now. 6 mortal wounds on range is just wrong. fast, elite hard-hitting units helps a lot too.
>>
>>48730654

Not him but anyone with a ranged heavy army or teleporting battalions can counter them

Everyone else is completely fucked
>>
>>48730827
THIS
>>
>>48730827
>ranged heavy armies
Probably our biggest weakness. I'm thinking of trying destruction allegiance to get my stuff moving faster and give them less free shooting time. Our best answer is probably a Skal, pop in and shred some of them. Probably not a full on counter but a check, there's certainly game to play.

>teleporting battalions
Not as cut and dry, depending on the battleplan.

>Everyone else is completely fucked
Anons were talking about splitting up Warriors and such into MSUs earlier. Holy shit, do not take your elites in a blob against Beastclaws. The beasts are going to erase shit and a powerful tool you can use is capping the number of wounds they can do to a unit and making them risk over committing attacks or end up not killing the unit.

Otherwise yeah, completely fucked.
>>
Need some help with a Chaos Dwarf list. I've been kicking these ideas around lately but I think I've finally settled. Tell me what you think:

2000pts
-General
1x Infernal Guard Castellan

-Leaders
1x Drazhoath the Ashen
1x Shartor the Executioner
1x Daemonsmith

-Units
10x Infernal Guard Fireglaives
10x Infernal Guard Ironsworn

-Behemoths
1x Iron Daemon
1x Iron Daemon

-Artillery
1x Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher
1x Magma Cannon

-Battalions
1x Hashut's Wrath Train

I couldn't resist running both Drazhoath and Shartor, the models just look too cool and fun to bring to the table, regardless of tactical advantage. From there I knew I wanted some ranged firepower so I added 30 fireglaives, and some serious war machines. The rocket launcher can hit a unit that isn't in line of sight, and can melt a blob. The magma cannon is a straight up free D6 mortal wounds on a 3+. The castellan can use his command ability to increase wounds on a target, so I can use that in combination with my fireglaives to snipe out a high priority target. The ironsworn will body block and defend either the fireglaives or the artillery.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>48731154

I think people don't really have that much of an issue with beastclaw melee as much as them being able to just pick one hero to delete each per turn until damaged
>>
>>48723586
Fuck yourself.
>>
>>48723817
You sound more cunty than he does.
>>
>>48730397

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's fire breath is range 8" and does 1d3 mortal wounds, no attack roll involved. Chimera is the same way, only limiting her range and 1d6 mortal wounds.

I'm convinced the Ogor option was meant to be 1d6 mortal wounds, not a full 6, and that this was some extreme oversight. Otherwise if I was a TO or just friendly games I'd ask to rule it as such.
>>
>>48731380

Retributor bombs should still be OKAY against them and they're an easy, strong fit for most Order armies.

I feel bad for Death and Orruk players tho.
>>
>>48731749
Bonesplittaz don't care. Smart players will neuter a Beastrider army on the first turn.
>>
>>48731154
>>48730827
>>48730654

thundertusks are getting melted at range or getting teleported on, im getting outmaneuvered on objective based games, and i get tar-pitted by plaguebearers (can't kill them fast enough.)

also my stonehorns consistently do about 8 damage, give or take. with lord, without lord, on the charge, 11 wounds taken, 1 wound taken, fighting mobs, fighting monsters, whatever. They either whiff and do nothing at all, or maybe take half a monster out. I've never had a mournfang delete an entire unit of anything on their own. I killed a maggoth lord once. that was fun.

Also i might as well not even glue the mournfang riders down. i can reliably expect the riders to miss everything, or just roll 2's on all their wound rolls if they hit, but the mournfang themselves always hit and wound with about 90% of their dice.

Yhetee, hunters, and cats get vaporized when they show up (woo, 6+ saves,) and it's impossible to keep thundertusks safe from any ranged attacks.
>>
Is this too much for a 1k Mortal Nurgle list?

>The Glottkin
>Festus
>5x Blightkings
>5x Blightkings
>>
>>48732112

Honestly?? Feels too small, even if powerful. I'd like to see some plague bearers in there, may even some Gors to be a chaff unit, paint them up as Pestigors.
>>
>>48732112
people who use glotkin/archeon/Alarielle in a 1000pt game are dicks and u will realize people wont wnna play with u
>>
Just pulled off a victory with moonclan grots against a combination ironjawz and beastclaw and freeguild force. Stole the objective in the fields of blood battle literally on the last turn.
>>
>>48732240
Fucking sneaky grot bastards.

Good job, anon.
>>
>>48732240
For clarification the beastclaw and ironjawz were one army and the freeguild were another. It was a treachery and triumph game. Or triumph and treachery. Whichever it is called.
>>
>>48732209
I've played against these guys in 1000 point games.

Games were fine. Won two of them.
>>
>>48732284
yeh its winnable but its just lame
>>
>>48732302
I enjoyed em. Didn't feel lame.

Not sure why you think so desu.
>>
>>48732253
Thank you. I am really proud. It is my first victory in AoS
>>
>>48732307
>desu
weeb
>>
>>48732156
It has 60 spare points, I believe.
>>
>>48731798
>fyreslayer players know their army is trash and bemoan it
>bomesplitterz fags don't know their army is trash and talk all the shit

Why is this a constant theme?
>>
>>48732339
wordfilter.
>>
>>48732397
>he doesn't roll 300+ dice a shooting phase
>>
>>48728908

The more I look at those models the more I fucking love it. I can't wait to see them finished.

I know what you mean about free time, I certainly have more of it than yourself but so far I've only managed to paint 3 brutes in the space of 2 weeks. Doing alittle each night after work. I paint so damn slow but I'm seeing improvement so it's all good. I only have 1 squad and a megaboss so it's manageable atleast.

I plan on eventually having a small group of afew armies, I hope you don't mind but I would like to copy your style for one of sigmars men, just cause I love the idea of these dudes as living statues or perhaps been fighting in such an environment or for so long their armour has eroded to such a degree.
>>
Time to play writer.

Order keeps all three cities, what's the most interesting thing you can think of to happen next?
>>
>>48731749

Retributor bomb + Skyborne slayers is nearly hard counter to a thunder tusk spam list.

>letting protectors near your 4+ save monsters

Oh yiss

>>48731798

This is the actual hard counter

>thundertusks all go forward, each kills 3 savage orruks. Nobody cares. >Thundertusks are deleted the following turn.
>>
>>48732638
>>48732638
>>48732638
>>48732638

New Thread
>>
>>48732622
I can see the Warseer tier post now.
>Fucking cancerous scrubs ruining this game. No one wants to play against my 240 Arrer Boys. Casuals are killing AoS
>>
>>48732556
go ahead. Its incredibly easy.
use tin bitz(i think it has a different name now, something like warlock bronze), apply Gw oxyde on most of the model, then drybrush heavily with the new gw copper(cant remember the name)and then auric gold(lighty, and do it only when you want to see some light). Its incredibly realistic when you look at it irl and its so easy to paint it feels like cheating.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.