[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder General /pfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 41

File: Matchmaker.jpg (1MB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
Matchmaker.jpg
1MB, 1920x1278px
Pathfinder General /pfg/

If you would like assistance with character optimization, please mention which third-party sources are allowed.

So ever had any in-character relationships that went well? Or poorly? Or both, simultaneously?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: http://pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
http://web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: http://imgur.com/a/r2TOH
http://imgur.com/a/odYOE

Legacy of Dragons: http://imgur.com/a/8gie2

Previous Thread: >>48704037
>>
>that picture

Is the Jew Witch causing the human and the elf to race mix? Is Pathfinder that redpilled yet overt.
Like she's standing right there yet the Cleric is doing nothing.
>>
File: ogre.jpg (114KB, 350x384px) Image search: [Google]
ogre.jpg
114KB, 350x384px
>>48709860
>>48710282
Bump.
>>
>>48710731
The opposite actually.
Mad Martigan is cucking the Cleric who is cannonically in lesbians with the Elf.
Who is bisexual.

I know. I don't write it though.
>>
Tell me, /pfg/, what do you think is the right balance of combat to non-combat in a campaign? How many combat encounters would it take in a row, without any moments to RP or interesting discoveries to make, before you start feeling things are getting stale? Likewise for the reverse situation.
>>
>>48710731
Cleric hasn't rolled spellcraft yet, obviously.
>>
>>48710769
It depends entirely on what your group wants out of the game. Some people want political intrigue with a bit of murder mixed in, others want dungeon roving murder hobos. Neither side is wrong.
>>
Starting at first level, playing a custom horror carrion crown adventure. Thinking of being an Ustalav native who thinks that, "ok, yeah, Whispering Tyrant went a bit too far and was one of the worst people ever, but you can't deny he got results!" Concept is undead are powerful and super useful, just don't go advertising that maybe you'd like to become a lich.
Thinking human or dhamphir oracle, with juju, bones, occult, dark tapestry, old gods, or void mystery.
Never played an Oracle before so a bit overwhelmed by the choices available to me, but seems super fun and lots of rp potential.
Thinking Dual-Cursed or spirit guide juju oracle?
Everything allowed.
>>
>>48710814
Well, what do you personally desire out of a game?
>>
>>48710856
Hectic combat with the occasional murder/disappearance mystery.

And puzzles.
>>
>>48710856
Dunno, just wanna play!
>>
Can Bestow Curse/Greater Bestow Curse place a conditional or triggered curse on someone? Like for example, a curse that would cause them to burst into flames any time they enter a church or a curse that gives a -6 penalty to charisma if the victim of the curse tries to lie. The power level of those specific curses isn't important, I'm just talking about whether the format of them is acceptable.
>>
File: 2015-08-03-757200.jpg (338KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-03-757200.jpg
338KB, 500x700px
>>48710655
Evil gestalt game, negotiator bard plus cleric of Ardad Lili. Ended up with an assassin PC for a boyfriend, PC blackguard trap on the side and sometimes sandwiched between her and the assassin, plus a growing harem of female NPCs and a PC witch girl that was always tempted and flustered but never quite gave in.
>>
File: RestingEasy.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
RestingEasy.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
>mfw remembering how much I hate normal forums, especially posting on them
>mfw trying to post on them and finding out certain posting features are limited "because your post count is too low"
>mfw I would have to grind posts just so I could do the one thing I need on that forum

I feel like 4chan has ruined me.
>>
>>48710934
What you want is a Mark of Justice
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 550x991px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 550x991px
>>48710655
This is the guy trying to run a Steel Hound Investigator
> Drawing a sword cane is a free action
> rules do not specify that you must be holding the cane to draw the sword
> you can be using one hand to shoot and the other to reload/drink potions/throw bombs
> if an enemy runs past you can instantly draw the sword for an attack of opportunity
It's silly but I like it
>>
Kinda unrelated question, but historically, has Spear & Shield style ever been popular after the Greeks?
>>
>>48711075
Unless stated, you can't take a free action offturn.
>>
>>48711089
Thanks Corporal Killjoy
>>
>>48710981
I remember I had a similar game where I was an anti-paladin/bloodrager. I was on the receiving end of affection despite my continual refusals. It came to blows after another character attempted to coerce me with magic and I killed them. Some people don't take no for an answer.
>>
File: 1468817524417.jpg (117KB, 666x714px) Image search: [Google]
1468817524417.jpg
117KB, 666x714px
>>48711124
Any time.
>>
>>48711075
Swift action without Quick Draw.
Investigator doesn't have Alchemist Bombs.
Like the other anon said, can't take free actions off-turn if it wasn't stated.

It doesn't matter that you have to be holding the cane to draw the sword, since you don't need to be holding your weapons (ie they're in holsters or scabbards) to draw them as a free action (If you've got Quick Draw or drawing while moving)
>>
>>48710578
I feel like you were just pissing in the wind in that thread. People there had their opinions already set and very little was going to change that. That said, you might have swayed some of them to neutral, but I still think your biggest audience for "Corruptions Unchained" is going to be here, although GitP might have a better opinion split.
>>
I want a cute lamasthan waifu!
>>
>>48710731
You need to leave.
>>
Am I right at being annoyed at someone who wants to play a good aligned necromancer who creates many undeads, without houseruling Joe mindless undead to be True Neutral instead of Neutral Evil? I mean, the way he talks about it, it's like he's looking to win points at the oppression olympics or something (saying "they're not evil just because they ping evil, you racist" and shit like that. Mind, the racist thing was a joke, but still.).
>>
>>48711286
Unless it is house ruled in the setting he should be evil. Undead are a perversion of life. Unless he is absolutely evangelical about only using undead made of consenting creatures and then only using them for good at every turn. Undead in PF are pretty damn evil.
>>
>>48711261
She's gonna cheat on you with like minotaurs and manticores and stuff.
>>
>>48710655

There was the game with my Chosen One bowadin. He was just some dumb 17-year-old peasant who one day received a divine message from Erastil to fight evil. He ended up getting along really well with the catfolk bloodrager (Abyssal blood or not), and after saving the world, they got married in the epilogue. It was pretty cute.
>>
File: ntr.gif (574KB, 250x164px) Image search: [Google]
ntr.gif
574KB, 250x164px
>>48711352
>>
>>48711261
I want to play a cute lamasthan waifu-priest.
>>
File: Girls_Explained.jpg (60KB, 260x520px) Image search: [Google]
Girls_Explained.jpg
60KB, 260x520px
>>48711352
It's not cheating if we're double-teaming her.
>>
Are there any CR 7 monsters with blood-draining attacks?
>>
>>48711335
>Perversion of life

Because life is clearly so Good aligned, innit?
>>
>>48711421
That's the spirit!

>>48711401
That is the second best thing to having one!
>>
I've had to disband another group due to pissy players. I'm starting to think that the well of local players is poisoned.
>>
>>48711286
If it's not homeruled in that undea are atleast neutral or go along with their creators alignment, then he's running for first in the oppression Olympics.
>>
>>48711518
That's where it falls apart but honestly it's Piazo writing so whatever
>>
>>48711518
The alignment system is very life-centric.
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 600x800px
>>48711541
Oh you
>>
>>48711518
>>48711557
Well, that's how it was originally in their weird mythos. Asmodeus was like "no life should not have free will" and his bro was like "no man life is sacred it needs free will" and they got in a tussle thereby creating cosmic good and evil.
>>
>>48711518
See the thing is, you're implying that should mean it's neutral. Were it a homebrew setting that's fine. In PF undead and means to create them are evil because the state of undeath is inherently selfish as it is a pure consumption based cycle. An all predator no prey engame. Same reason necromancy is associated with Greed. Life is not inherently selfless, and this living non sapient creatures are neutral.

So the actual reason undead are evil is they are a naturally selfish state. There is that one in setting speech explaining this reasoning.
>>
>>48711591
I thought that was more about law vs chaos.
>>
>>48711553
Again look at the post about the concept of death being inherently selfish. It's their reasoning. Life has both selfless and selfish aspects while undeath does not.
>>
File: giph.gif (481KB, 499x290px) Image search: [Google]
giph.gif
481KB, 499x290px
>>48711534

What got them so riled up?
>>
>>48711377
I didn't choose it. Shoulda gone for a nice, sweet, Erastil inquisitor.
>>
>>48711661
Erastil is alright, but Shelyn is also pretty good.
>>
>>48711534

Have you tried running on the internet, anon?
>>
>>48711626
Your right, still doesn't change my dislike of it, though it sheds light on how it works.
>>
>>48711645
I do not force them into fights, and the advertisement made it clear they are small fish in a big pond. They get angry when enemies aren't all their level and easily defeated. I generally do not force fights they aren't ready for, unless they do something stupid.

Basically TPKs because of forcing fights with strong people and refusing to give up when given the chance. People think they are untouchable.
>>
>>48711725
Undeath being inherently selfish makes sense in my opinion. The only undead that don't mindlessly consume are ones controlled by necromancers. Creating undead is in and of itself irresponsible if you were to ever lose control.
>>
>>48711726
I mean, sounds like your players have different expectations from the game. You should definitely try to clear that up before it causes problems next time.
>>
>>48711352
It's simple, when someone fucks your waifu to ¢uck you, you must go and fuck them to un¢uck yourself. Bonus points when waifu pins them down for you.
>>
>>48711286
There are some D&D settings where undead are neutral, but Pathfinder isn't one of them. In Pathfinder most undead are evil and most of the ways to make undead are evil.

That said, if the player can figure out a way to make a non-evil undead (looking through the Pathfinder site it looks like there are a few such as Red Jesters and Mortuary Cyclones) using spells that don't have the Evil descriptor then I wouldn't see a problem.

But, if you don't want to houserule neutral undead, then it's on him to figure out ways to skate around the alignment system.
>>
>>48711776
The advertisement was clear. I just cut them loose because I'm not going to GM the kind of game they seem to want. I'm not obligated to them.
>>
File: PF Justicar of Abadar.jpg (116KB, 742x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PF Justicar of Abadar.jpg
116KB, 742x1000px
>>48711702
Abadar tho.
>>
>>48711286
If Zombies and Skeletons remain evil, then raising them is evil, pure and simple.

PF zombiers and skeletons, unlike the previous editions and the editions after, are self-willed , self aware monsters that are evil, and they will mindlessly hunt and kill anything alive because their instincts are to destroy anything unlike themselves. They have a 10 wisdom and a 10 charisma and are thus self-aware and self-willed. They may be mindless, but so are vermin and oozes, and vermin and oozes have lower wis and cha scores - and are also not evil.
>>
>>48711286
I mean, they won't be good, but I don't see an issue with trying to do "good" by creating undead to help people.
>>
>>48711860
The idea that are mindless consume is the main thing and convert stable systems into a pure consumption model. We have to remember that most undead can not make more undead, and most of those who can do not make more of themselves and instead mindless thralls. Undeath is something that destroys as a rule.

One could argue that a zombie is merely a tool, like a gun or axe, that can be used for self defense and to ease labor. However an axe or gun, if left alone, will not instinctually attempt to destroy all life. Zombies do.
>>
>>48711778
But they're not trying to cluck you, she's trying to get impregnated by monster cum.
>>
>>48711609
It was. The original conflict created law and chaos. With a byproduct of of good and evil that was later refined.
>>
>>48711964
What if I BECOME the monster
>>
>>48711950
It's like giving someone a coffee maker that is also a bomb then making it for public use. Then for any reason if the owner dies the bomb goes off. While you can guard against this with protocols to make sure no one is near the coffee maker when you die, or have a shield, it doesn't make it any less of a inherently dangerous system.

Something like a construct is just as helpful and won't mindlessly kill. They we just more expensive.
>>
What dogma could justify breeding w/ all races (+monsters alike) equally? (basically, good/neutral version of Lamshtu?)

Yes I'm a sick bastard and will be playing R-18 game soon.
>>
>>48711964
>>48711982
I am a monster
>>
>>48711998
I don't disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that some necromancers might not think it through, or consider the benefits as worth the potential costs.
>>
File: PZO9005-LamashtuPrestigeCla.jpg (170KB, 1514x1838px) Image search: [Google]
PZO9005-LamashtuPrestigeCla.jpg
170KB, 1514x1838px
>>48712017
>>48711982
She's still going to bang other monsters because that's the whole point. Lots of monster babies.
>>
>>48712008

Is there room, anon, for more of your perverse ilk?
>>
>>48712008
From a neutral perspective: A being that understands the possibilities of intermingling decides to just go ahead and see what comes out. It's basically Lamashtu minus the whole caring about the using them part. Like a divine breeder.
>>
File: PZO1013-LamashtuPriest.jpg (121KB, 671x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PZO1013-LamashtuPriest.jpg
121KB, 671x1000px
>>48712008
CN Cleric of Lamashtu.
>>
>>48711964
Doesn't matter, I shall fuck the monster!
>>
>>48712031
Irresponsibility does not excuse evil acts. Killing innocents through recklessness is still evil.

I think paizo's stance on the evils of undeath is relatively consistent. If I look at the bard created undead it makes sense for the method to not be evil as it only creates temporary undead and thus can not develop the endless predator model. The medium way does not create consuming undead and thus can be neutral.

Really the base idea that selfishness is the evil thing makes sense.
>>
>>48711778
Reminds me of that... cuck samurai pic.
>>
>>48712111
You're reading way too much into it. I never said it did. Yes, creating undead is an evil act. No, you don't have to be evil to do it. You can easily play a neutral necromancer that tries to use their undead to help society.
>>
>>48711079
Romans made heavy use of it for several centuries.
>>
>>48712008
>good/neutral version of Lamashtu
Followers can be "one off" from alignment of their patron deity. Beast Mother is CE, and thus can have CN followers. Creed stays very similare, except more towards "consensual" side.
>>
>>48712156
Not for long, creating undead turns you undead pretty quickly unless you balance it with good tagged spells.
>>
>>48711286
>"they're not evil just because they ping evil, you racist"
Well, given the new Paizo stance that casting Infernal Healing seven times in your life makes you evil, no matter HOW many orphans you save, he's got a valid point.
>>
I'm dual cursed Unchained/Legalistic, how should I play this?

Also favorite dual cursed combos.
>>
>>48712136
Exactly what I had in mind, sadly I don't have the image saved. And lack the artistic skill to make corresponding edit with Lamashtu priestess and minotaur.
>>
>>48712185
>>48712064
I was thinking more of a 'deity' that is good/neutral version of Lamashtu, but well that could work too. Hmm.
>>
>>48712202
Doesn't that spell specifically say it doesn't actually affect your alignment, only what it appears to be for a time?
>>
How do I become the most weeb overpowered hand to hand martial artist type character. I want to be able to do high flying teleportation "he's fast", energy lasers, time magic, jojo-bullshit fighting. It's level 12, PoW is encouraged. I no longer HAVE RESTRICTIONS.
>>
>>48712262
Paizo literally just published that casting Evil spells shifts you from good to neutral after a few casts, and from neutral to evil after a few more.

Don't worry though, you can counteract the effects by casting Good spells.
>>
>>48712282
One more thing to ignore from Paizo. Just like all errata.
>>
>>48712239
>'deity' that is good/neutral version of Lamashtu
Sune? I mean normally she's mostly about humanoids, but having slightly more unhinged follower that extends this onto "taming" beasts is not entirely out of question.

If anything I'd like to see that and >>48712064
in the same party.
>>
>>48712264
Unchained Monk with an emphasis on Abundant Step and Dimension Door abilities with maybe a dip into sorcerer with a bloodline that fills out some other requirement.
>>
>>48711269
It hurt me to write that out. But I just had to.
>>
Well, this is a thing: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/celestial-healing

If you know both it and Infernal, you can slide along good-evil axis at will.
>>
>>48712492
Not sure if weeaboo enough without PoW.
>>
>>48712547
Just make his backstory about trying to become stronger so he can defeat the Evil Demon King that is threatening his home village yet also wants to discover the power of friendship. Boom - Full Weeb.
>>
>>48712512
Summon monster would do the same thing with celestial/infernal monkies.
>>
>>48710744
Anyone?
>>
>>48712574
>Hold on guys, I'm going to summon a bunch of angelic and demonic monkeys to kill one another while trying to regain balance. You can watch too if you like, shit's hysterical.
>>
>>48712605
I could totally see magical cockfighting rings.
>>
>>48712512
Celestial Healing is bullshit though; 1 round per two levels, with no minimum. Meaning at level 1 it literally does NOTHING.

Infernal Healing, by contrast, always works for 10 rounds.
>>
What board/thread is good for posting/sharing R-18 settings, characters, etc? For 3.X based rule.
>>
>>48712769
usually there's some lewd thread on /tg/ at various times, lots of stuff like that and homebrew talk
>>
>>48712264
Aurora Soul Mystic maybe?
>>
>>48712614
Let me do you one better.

Step 1) Round up a bunch of hobos
Step 2) Give them all a thorough education on the various gods
Step 3) Dose them all with Confabulation Powder in their sleep
Step 4) Whisper messages about how they are the gods in flesh meant to do battle with the other gods for their agendas
Step 5) Create Superbrawl: Golarion
>>
Would anything change for better or worse if the serial killer gets

Thwart Pursuit: At 3rd level, a serial killer adds her level[...]
Studied Target: At 4th level, a serial killer gains the studied target ability as if she were a slayer of her vigilante level[...]
>>
>>48712502
Go sit in the corner and think about what you did.
>>
Are there any more occult rituals available, other than those in Horror Adventures or Occult Adventures?

Those in the books are mostly pretty cool, but aren't the most useful or worthwhile considering the general cost and difficulty of the ritual and what it actually accomplishes.
>>
>>48712769
/soc/ has a general devoted to ERP. I believe both /d/ and /aco/ have threads dedicated to fantasy related stuff.
>>
Wow, the people who run wayward rogue publishing are kind of dicks

http://paizo.com/products/btpy9nwl/discuss?Hybrid-Classes-Vol-2-Horror-Heroes#13
>>
A friend of mine is setting up a Pathfinder game
I'm drawing up a Half-Elf Bard who will use a spiked gauntlet in case the need arises
My character's nickname shall be Fist Puncher

I've been thinking about the backstory but drawing a blank
>>
>>48713393
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/backstory-descriptions.php
>>
>>48713432
Thank you, this should be fun
>>
>>48713393
>>48713432
http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/
>>
File: 1403625122833.jpg (28KB, 429x399px) Image search: [Google]
1403625122833.jpg
28KB, 429x399px
So I'm DMing a campaign about two sessions in right now and one of the players wants to quit because he feels as though the setting is not being flexible enough such that he can play his character however he wants (specifically he's playing a bard inside of a forsaken and abandoned city and is upset he has no one to perform to for money).

He has messaged me saying he wants his character to immediately commit suicide at the start of the next session, and for one of our friends to inherit his 33k gold worth of gear. I said that no one is allowed to inherit the gear, because it's a 33k gold spike for an incredibly petty reason, unless everyone in the group agrees to it. A few people said no and so no one is inheriting the gear. The person who quit and the inheritor are both upset at this ruling, saying it's not within the rules of what happens to gear when someone dies.

So, my question is should I allow the person to inherit the gear? Or should I stick to my original ruling?
>>
>>48713489
The new character should come in with his full WBL.

And if ANYTHING, suicide-o-tron's gear should be split evenly among the party.
>>
>>48713489
Immediately committing suicide it's pretty fucking stupid. Just say that his character leaves the city and the party, somehow finding his way out of the city alone.

Tell 'em to stop being cunts. Since it's not within the rules of what happens to gear when someone dies, you have the final say in how things go.

Go with logic, don't appease them.
>>
>>48713489
The bard doesn't commit suicide. Instead, frustrated by the lack of an audience to satisfy his ego and pockets, he deserts the party for more populated pastures. It is then that [his new character] appears to conveniently fill the gap.

This way there isn't any loot to fight over and your player can create a new character.
>>
>>48713489
Would you prefer one person to be upset, or everyone else at the table to be upset?

The one guy who is upset about not inheriting is sad because he isn't getting all that gold, but he will understand why you did it if you talk to him.

The other members of the group will get upset if you do let him and your only excuse will be, "But he was mad that I didn't give him 33k Gold!", and you'll be giving him special treatment for acting out which will lead to other people acting out in hopes of gaining gold.
>>
>>48713489
Stick to your guns; consistency is key. you made a decision and it'll undermine your authority if you let him do this without an extremely well reasoned argument that convinced a unanimous vote.

As >>48713582 said, realistically the entire party should share, not just one guy getting stuff, and >>48713598 states a suggestion that works a lot better than fucking suicide.
>>
>>48713216
Occult Realms
>>
Is the Porphyra campaign setting worth playing in at all?
>>
File: 1409835235488.jpg (154KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1409835235488.jpg
154KB, 600x450px
>>48713489
>>48713582
>>48713584
>>48713598
>>48713605
>>48713622

I forgot to mention the issue with the city is that it's located in a forest that no one is able to leave for magical plot reasons, so the players have to deal with whatever issue is inside the city/forest that's keeping them in.

Essentially, the player has no way of leaving alive. I offered him the choice of retiring his character at the rest hub without killing him off and playing a new character but like I said, he's being incredibly petty about it.

The other issue is that he concentrated most of his money into an individual article of gear, so there's no good way of splitting up the gear evenly, and people can't sell the gear because the city is abandoned. So, I'm stuck with introducing random people into the campaign that people can sell to (which defeats the purpose of abandoned city that the first player had problems with) or sticking with my original ruling on no one gets the gear.

It's pretty frustrating to keep the setting consistent and without half the group calling me DM Hitler, so I was hoping there was a creative solution to deal with this.
>>
>>48713744
Eaten by a grue during the night. If they ever find the grue everything is digested except for the bard's middle finger.
>>
>>48713744
Was that individual piece of gear from the start? It's usually a good idea to not let players have any single piece of gear worth more than half their starting wealth (recommend adjusting to lower values for higher level starts) when the campaign begins.

>>48713770 has a good idea

Retire the character to the rest hub. By now it's an NPC so if they want the gear they'll have to kill him. Since that's an unprovoked encounter, they're essentially being evil about it.

They're being cunts.
>>
>>48713266
Sorry you can't use our products. From the sounds of it, you mainly want to just copy and paste some stuff from it, and ignore the beautiful art and interesting flavor. So we don't mind that you won't buy this. Thank you for your comments.

Fighting the good fight of piracy prevention, one nut job at a time.
>>
>>48713489
>>48713744
Shouldn't a bard be pretty excited to be documenting this place? To writing songs and stuff about it?
>>
>>48713823
The depends entirely on the bard.
>>
Tell me about DMPCs, /pfg/.

Do you enjoy having them in your campaign? Or do you dislike them?

When is it proper to use one in a campaign? Or is it never proper to use a DMPC?
>>
>>48713832
I guess, but I think if he wants to sing for coppers on a street he wouldn't be above trying to compose a song of his own
>>
>>48713871
A DMPC is a character that the DM controls to play in the campaign alongside the players. It's not just an npc, or an npc travelling with the party for a bit. It's the DMs personal character.

>>48713900
Maybe his character isn't very good at spooky or forlorn songs. Maybe he's a pop artist.
>>
>>48713818
>"You only want to use the product in a way that you want, and not use it how we want, so maybe fuck off?"
>>
>>48713871
the proper use for a DMPC requires several things.

1. The players must approve of the character.

2. The players must not have their spotlight stolen by the DMPC.

3. the DMPC must fulfill some crucial role, such as divine magic in a party of warriors.

If you can fulfill these criteria, it's time to use a DMPC.
>>
What makes a fun campaign setting for you as a player?
>>
>>48713914
>Maybe his character isn't very good at spooky or forlorn songs. Maybe he's a pop artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA
>>
>>48713950
Keeping to a general theme, and making logical steps within that theme to progress the story.
>>
>>48713871
I really hate it.

I'm in the middle of a level 20 campaign, and our DM decided to import his level 20 character who severely outgears the players, as well as that character's 3 friends who likewise outgear the other players.

The four DMPCs are of a different alignment from everyone else (specifically evil) and everyone but myself changed their alignment to evil to get bonuses that the DMPCs were giving out (REALLY big stat increases).

Our DM has basically turned the campaign into a giant dick-sucking contest to get buffs from his imported character, and my good aligned character is very likely to die at the end of the campaign for not being on the same side as everyone else.
>>
>>48713917
It's not even subtle how he words it, they fucking need someone with actually good PR.
>>
File: 1466309456801.jpg (589KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466309456801.jpg
589KB, 1920x1080px
I wanted to ask if any of you guys have had any success making tavern games. Like the thing you'd expect is poker I guess with fantasy cards, but I want to run something unfamiliar, while also having ways for the characters to use their character builds to interact with the games (cheat basically, but not be required to have slight of hand and high dex only).

It should be simple, with small ways to integrate the world lore, kinda like how Gwent tells you a tiny bit about the characters in The Witcher.

Right now I've made a reskinned version of Cthulu dice in roll20 with a theme related to psychic evil spirits in the realm.
>>
>>48714033
3.5 had a dungeon book, softcover, with unusual encounters all the way through. The CR 11 one, though, was my favorite; rather than being a fight, it was a casino, and had a number of games that were weighted towards the house but were winnable. They might be something to look up.

Just gotta remember the damn name of the book...
>>
>>48714014
And this is from someone basically begging anyone to review their book too. Some guy comes along and says 'hey, your DRM is dumb', to which they say 'hey, spending your money on us is dumb.'
>>
File: Arcomage.jpg (76KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
Arcomage.jpg
76KB, 639x479px
>>48714033
Honestly, the most successful Tavern Games that I've seen are ones that are taken from other games, not just video-games, but other board games.

Arcomage is always popular.

If you are looking for something that is just a series of dice-rolls instead of an actual game, then the most successful are descriptive games.

Look at Red Dragon Inn for that, the gambling section, and just bring it into Pathfinder.
>>
>>48713432
>>48713469
>Imnos was performing at a pub to impress a village girl when a fight started, Imnos found a gauntlet and began punching people in the face until he got to safety
>He was dubbed "Fist Puncher" by the village drunk
>Imnos found the name humorous and vowed to be known across the land for punching people in the face

I like it but that doesn't really sound like a chaotic good thing, though
I suppose self defense is fine
>>
>>48713871
One I really liked was Sandara Quinn in the Skulls and Shackles adventure path.

She existed solely to help dungeon crawl oriented players rethink their playstyle and heal them when they get whipped every day for annoying the bosun.
>>
>>48713744
Tell the guy who wanted the item that you've changed your mind and he can have it. Unbeknownst to him, the death of the item's master has caused it to become cursed.
>>
>>48714129
What the fuck is even that response as well? My brain is full of fuck.

>'hey, spending your money on us is dumb.'
This is exactly right, spending money on their products and company is dumb.
>>
>>48714183
THIS! AND MAKE IT CONTAIN THE SPIRIT OF THE SUICIDE!
>>
>>48713871
I did it once and felt it was pretty successful. It was a game with new players and I gave them 3 possible characters to recruit. Eventually they grabbed one, who stuck around to about 4th level, supporting them and showing them the ropes as they learned the game. Once I felt they had things under control, the character exited the story.

I was very meticulous about the DMPC's involvement, since my previous experience was playing in a game with some kind of cat girl monk DMPC that was 5 levels ahead of the rest of the party. Imagine how that turned out.
>>
>>48714183
Sounds like a good time to implement the corruption Possessed.
>>
>>48710528 (You) #
>Feel free to tell me what issues you have with the system; the more I can glean from /tg/, the better I can make it.

Why not remove the npcification bit entirely?
>>
Will a horror game ever work with a master summoner?
How would I make it work regardless?
>>
>>48714386
I'm not sure the people with whom I am working would be okay with that, I want to work to either push it further away or possibly make it more of a required choice to go to NPCtown, like I did with the archetype I made for it. Becoming an NPC should be a choice, not the result of a die roll.
>>
>>48714183
Holy crap this is genius. What kind of curse should I implement? The inheritor in question is a Psychic.

Thanks for the idea man.
>>
>>48710655
Holy shit when did this pic get released
>>
>>48714600
Either make it cause the bearer to slowly decide to end their own life, or have the opposite of bardic buffs apply to the bearer
>>
>>48714480
>Becoming an NPC should be a choice, not the result of a die roll.
This is completely right, holy shit.
>>
What's a good (preferably mobile) front line tank-ish class?
>>
>>48714750
Especially when 'Is Evil' is a thing that already exists in the damn game and doesn't necessitate a character to be an NPC.

You can be a lich and not be NPC'd.

You can be a vampire and not be NPC'd.

It's basically 100% a meta-construct. In all other situations, you lose control of your character only when some external force takes control of them like Dominate.

It would make some minor degree of sense in a game where you CAN'T play evil people, but the die is cast, we're playing D&D. It's too late now.
>>
>>48710655
How would you guys build a specialist necromancer with the life school?
I wanna run it as a disciple of pharisma who sees undead as something to be destroyed but uses necromancy to understand life and its relation to death better. I for the life of me can't make this work.

Its 25 point buy, any piazo is okay, no third party unfortunately, otherwise I would use the white necromancer.
>>
>>48714700
Occult something or other?
>>
>>48714700
Ultimate Intrigue
>>
File: image.jpg (274KB, 596x734px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274KB, 596x734px
The great debate among necromancers continues
>Frostfallen undead
Or
>Juju zombies
Or
>Necrocraft
Which is the better undead to create?
>>
>>48714429
Could anyone field this?
>>
>>48715454
It depends entirely on how it's being run. Though it's a lot less horrifying when you can just feed the monster a bunch of celestial monkeys or monkey eidolons.
>>
How does one convert archetypes for the unchained monk?
>>
>>48715541
>look at archetype
>look at abilities replaced by archetype
>look at unchained monk
>replace abilities at appropriate levels with appropriate abilities
It's pretty straightforward. What are you looking at?
>>
>>48715568
Monk of Silver Fist, which replaces abundant step, and flurry of blows (which makes most ki strikes useless).
>>
>>48715445
Necrocraft, it's always best to build your own!
>>
>>48715586
So it just replaces the Ki power at level 12 and Flurry of Blows, and the Monk can't take the Abundant Step power. Done.
>>
>>48715649
What about the interaction with style strikes (which are all to augment flurry)?
>>
>>48715445
Juju is the best but is very expensive (ie you cant sell their loot if they have class levels) and is rarely allowed into most tables. Bloody skeletons on the other hand are cheap, and low maintenance, you can afford to lose your bloody skeleton several times a day and still keep operating.
>>
Rolling a new character and got [16][17][16][15][14][15]

So what kind of healer should I make?
>>
>>48715676
Thrown in the trash, then. You'd have an ability, but no way to use it.
>>
what do you think about worm that walk template pfg? I have a player who wants to be one of this aberrations and i dont see it very powerful, if so problematic but considering is an evil campaing...
>>
File: 1453686175748.jpg (76KB, 869x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1453686175748.jpg
76KB, 869x1212px
>>48715695
Vitalist. Or a Tiefling Oradin!
>>
>>48715676
I dunno, I don't know why they don't work with full attacks anyway. That's dumb.
>>
>>48715699
>>48715757
That's a bit sad.
I'm really looking for a highly mobile tank class, but it's impossible in PF.
>>
>>48715778
If you can swing 3.5 content then see if you can get two custom items. I'll get back to you on what they are, but they should give you 3x your movement speed.
>>
>>48715778
>>48715796
Hmm, must've just been one item and graft I was thinking of. Feathered Wings graft from the Fiend Folio makes you go crazy, but gives you a non-magical flight speed equal to twice your land speed.
Rapid Wrath is a +1 shortspear of mighty cleaving from Ghostwalk that doubles the speed of any critter carrying it.
>>
>>48714480
My biggest issue is that Paizo seems like they don't trust players to play evil appropriately. Everything about Hell's Vengeance had these warnings for GMs, Agents of Evil was heavy handed about this, and now Horror Adventures just tells you to make a new character should an E ever appear in your alignment. In an effort to talk about more mature subjects, Paizo just seems to come off as a bit juvenile and seems to think the same of their audience.
>>
>>48715778
What are your options? Obviously 3pp is on the table if you're using silver fist.
>>
>>48715856
I mean, I kind of get what they were going for with corruptions. I don't think it's just that they believe you shouldn't play evil Though I believe most of the developers prefer good characters to play as, and because of that don't enjoy writing for evil characters. I'm not excusing corruptions though, they don't look like they'd be fun at all, which is supposed to be the point of the game.
>>
I'm wracking my brain, but I can't seem to figure it out. I seem to recall a certain book had a way to join the Whispering Way and gain +1 to necromancy based on their standing in the organization? Any help?
>>
>>48715856
>and now Horror Adventures just tells you to make a new character should an E ever appear in your alignment.

This sets a very dangerous precedent for future Paizo products.
>>
>>48715862
Well my DM is the 'ban after everyone is disgusted ' type, so everything is general OK, especially since I dont go ham on the builds and try to cheese magic items (I'm extremely against the idea of relying on wondrous items, not sure why).
>>
>>48714090
I didn't have any luck googling based on this info unfortunately. Hopefully you remember, because that sounds pretty accurate to what I'm looking for.

>>48714138
>Arcomage

Having looked at this, I actually really like the game, but being in roll20 would mean I'd have to create large decks and we'd have to manually track things at upkeep. The game itself is simple, but running it is not.

>Red Dragon Inn
This has the same issue. I'd have to build the decks in roll20 to run it since not all my players are even on the same continent. For the gambling dynamic, maybe I don't completely understand, but it seems like what you can do relates explicitly to your hand, which means i have to still build the cards and rebalance the game for my needs. It's a good start I think, but I'd have to still figure a lot out before using something like it.
>>
>>48715895
See if he'll let you just use the style strikes with full attacks. It's not like it's going to be massively overpowered.
>>
>>48715888
Maybe the Faction Guide?
>>
>>48715891
>sets a precedent
Bitch these modules are written for players with the maturity of 13 year olds.

>>48715962
>It's not like it's going to be massively overpowered.
>oksure.jpg
>>
>>48715856

Thing is, they also utterly trivialized alignments in the same breath with their hard ruling on alignment descriptor spells. Good or evil is less than half a dozen spells away at any given moment. I understand they wanted to stop people from using blatantly evil shit that happens to be mechanically effective, but they really missed the mark on that one.
>>
>>48716032
>Bitch these modules are written for players with the maturity of 13 year olds.
I really don't think paizo writes with /pfg/ in mind or maybe they do with the vore witch.
>>
>>48716086
Or maybe /pfg/ just looks for their creepy fetishes in anything and everything.
>>
>>48715517
True that, unless you could somehow make the summons turn against you.
>>
>>48716112
Let me have my joke, please!
>>
>>48716032
>Bitch these modules are written for players with the maturity of 13 year olds.

I was going to refute this with an SJW joke, but I realized they're just as much man-children as the man-children.
>>
>>48716123
I'm sure, though this may be from 3.5 possibly incantatrix, that there's an ability that lets you take over others' summons. That could work well for the horror aspect. Though shutting down someone's main ability I don't know, I haven't taken a look at that archetype could be pretty unfun. It's like taking the barbarian's attack, and randomly making them hit another player instead of the monster.
>>
File: 1444163620872.jpg (40KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1444163620872.jpg
40KB, 408x439px
>>48715856
Well do you see the cesspool the forums are?

>DON'T OFFEND US PAIZO PLS
>INCLUSIVE PLS
>DON'T BE A SHITLORD PAIZO

Fucking Sean K Reynolds had to be the voice of reason once because those fucking tranny ass retarded fuckheads can't even grasp the concept of a cursed item.
>>
>>48716169

You know what the worst part is? The people that have the loudest and most common voice on their forum aren't the ones screaming for inclusivity or acceptance or whatever, it's the people with the emotional or mental maturity of a toddler getting grossed out or angry that Paizo would do the meanie.

Like, there was a guy that got triggered because someone joked about the Cult of the Dawnflower being like ISIS.
>>
>>48716230

>joked

I don't get it
>>
>>48716230
I mean, if the guy actually lost friends or family to Isil I could see them being upset at people joking about it.
>>
Hi. I've been working on a lot of layout stuff tonight, so I figured that I'd take a moment to toss this together, since it seemed generally well-recieved when I posted it up in google doc form. People like homebrew more when it looks pretty, right?

>>48715445
I am partial to juju zombies, because I like minions with Int scores.

>>48714429
In my opinion and experience, a horror game is not about the classes or mechanics, but about the tone and feel of the campaign. In a lot of ways, a horror game requires that the players willingly surrender a lot of narrative control that they would normally hold over their characters to the GM, and as such there's a lot of trust needed.

When you watch a horror movie, it's because you /want/ to be scared. You know it's not real, but you're letting yourself get into it and allowing it to terrify you, because that's all part of the fun. A horror game is exactly the same: it's fun to be that sort of scared, and ideally the players and GM work together to create that feeling.

If the players aren't in on that, or the GM isn't up for that, then you just get something closer to a normal ttrpg game. Hunting monsters in scary locations but not /horror/, because horror is as much about the player's immersion as it is the plot, PCs, and enemies.

You can have a horror game with literal superheroes as the PCs. You can have one with commoners. The effectiveness of the PCs matters a lot less than the way the game is laid out and the way the story is told.

A thought though: the description of your little summons being ripped to shreds by the monsters is a good place to add to the horror feel.
>>
>>48716230
When I was In high-school I joined a soccer team and there were some Bosnian kids on it. Cool dudes, but one of them got super upset and hit me when I made some "your moma" jokes.

Later his friends let me know that he didn't like those jokes because he got to watch the Taliban/whatever execute his mom.

So yea... Sometimes people are sensitive.
>>
>>48716373
And here's the Roil Dancer, because hey why not.
>>
>>48716373
>>48716394
How did you make this dank ass pdf?
>>
>>48716382
>because he got to watch the Taliban/whatever execute his mom.

Jesus fucking Christ
>>
File: 1470301782842.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470301782842.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>48716449
I'm fairly sure she does the Layout, bro. Her and Sonny Jim-Bob Jibbity Joseph.
>>
>>48716449
Adobe InDesign, some photoshop, and stock art bought for a couple dollars off of DriveThruRPG.

The borders are mine though.
>>
>>48716476
Well if Jesus is real he sure is giving a blind eye to the Taliban.
>>
>>48716373
>bookmarks for every hero power

FOR WHAT PURPOSE
>>
File: 1436922742846.jpg (117KB, 1058x705px) Image search: [Google]
1436922742846.jpg
117KB, 1058x705px
>>48716560
>>
>>48716164
>>48716373
Sweet ideas, brahs and definitely interesting food for thought, this is what these threads need more of!
>>
File: Das_Hazmattenhatten.png (240KB, 773x682px) Image search: [Google]
Das_Hazmattenhatten.png
240KB, 773x682px
>planning a game with a bioterroristic cult of the Horseman of Pestilence as the villains
>potential allies are a team of body-burning HAZMAT clerics of Sarenrae
>really want them to use flamethrowers (to save channel energy/prayers) but not sure if flamethrowers have been invented or not
Is it wrong to fudge technology a bit for the sake of plot? I'm thinking bellows/pumps that spray alchemist fire would suffice, but I have a feeling our FLGS's resident autist will throw a shitfit, and I don't want no trouble.
>>
>>48716740
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire
>>
>>48716382
>>48716476
Holy fucking shit!
>>
>>48716750
That's pretty much what alchemists' fire is.
>>
>>48710655
I know the discussion fags will ignore this, but I'm trying to find a good prestige class that fits my character's story. I'm a robot inquisitor that is a bounty hunter and uses shotguns, that thinks technology is heresy, and is hunting down his master to slay him.
>>
>>48716891
Any 3rd party or homebrew class is fine as long as its not blatantly overpowered, and our group cares more about roleplay than min/maxing.
>>
>>48710731
Implying humans in any DnD derivative world need any encouraging to fuck everything?
>>
File: 1458154094810.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1458154094810.png
168KB, 400x400px
>>48716891
>Robot Inquisitor
>Uses shotguns
>Technology is heresy
>>
>>48716945
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/ironborn
>Few ironborn enjoy a normal lifestyle. Almost all of are designed for a specific task or duty

eat my asshole
>>
>>48716740
Grenadier Alchemists can direct their bombs as a ray or cone instead of a splash.
Combine that with the napalm discovery and fluff that into flamethrower shit.
>>
File: 1420884457765.jpg (1MB, 1196x3298px) Image search: [Google]
1420884457765.jpg
1MB, 1196x3298px
>>48712136
>>48712223
This?
>>
>>48717099
Yes, that.
>>
>>48717099
The best part of this is that I'm pretty sure it's a parody of The Tale of Genji.

It's been years since I've read the book, though.
>>
going to play in a game in Osirian, what's a good region for a foreign, undead-murdering Inquisitor to come from?
>>
>>48717310
Ustalav.
>>
>>48717310
Expat/former slave from Geb
>>
>>48716891
Proving my point niggers
>>
>>48716891
Not really many for Inquisitors that are worth it, and few for people with guns.
I suggest just not going into PrC at all, really.
>>
>>48717332
any suggestions on books with some detail about the people of Ustalav?
>>
>>48717393
Thanks
>>
Quick Question:
What would a mentally insane good seeking psychic be for an alignment?

The short of it is that I'm building a psychic for a game I'm joining and he is an individual whose psychic abilities have taken their toll on his mind. He legitimately believes he is the hero of the world, chosen by a nameless deity that speaks to him in his head (the thing the other players won't know is that the "deity" is just a form of psychic-induced schizophrenia). He strives to seek justice and be the hero that eventually saves all of existence, but the voice in his head misdirects him and tells him randomly that people are lying to him, are secretly evil, and other pieces of information that he either would learn from his psychic abilities or completely makes up due to pure paranoia. This leads him to commit both kind and heinous acts, sometimes with little logic behind his actions other than the fact he was purging evil and delivering justice.

I am wondering, would this character be considered chaotic evil, chaotic good, or chaotic neutral? This character will do good actions, but will commit absolutely evil acts (such as murder or theft) and honestly believe he has done good. He believes he is completely above the law and that true justice must be delivered vigilante-style. I honestly can't tell if heinous acts committed with good intentions can have him be considered good or if he would be considered neutral due to doing both good and bad. Or maybe he is chaotic evil, because insanity-fueled heinous crimes, even with the belief that he is doing the right thing as dictated by a divine deity, overshadow any intent he has or any good actions he may also commit. After all, this is selfishness that forces his actions to affect someone else based on his belief that he is more important than everyone else and is chosen by destiny to bring about an age of true justice and goodness (thus delusions of grandeur).

What alignment suits him best?
>>
>>48717441
CN
>>
>>48717441
Hey, this is a good time to bring up my new suggested rule for vetting tabletop characters:

If the party would benefit more from murdering your character than letting them live, you probably shouldn't play it.
>>
>>48717441
CN is generally what insanity causes. Your ability to stick to even a relatively flexible set of rules/codes (including things as simple as always brushing your teeth after a meal) has taken it up the ass from your brain being completely fucked. You can barely care for yourself, let alone give any kind of fuck about what other people want or do beyond how this immediately affects you.

If you're also reacting violently to things? CE.
>>
File: cowboycat.jpg (24KB, 563x563px) Image search: [Google]
cowboycat.jpg
24KB, 563x563px
>>48717441
LG for the purpose of spells/effects/etc. - he believes in his diety's orders with rightous conviction - but CN for whatever crazy shit you actually have him say or do.
>>
File: sogood.jpg (205KB, 551x717px) Image search: [Google]
sogood.jpg
205KB, 551x717px
>>48717473
THIS. A MILLION TIMES UNTO THIS.
>>
>>48717401
The setting guide to Ustalav is a book called Rule of Fear. Try Googling it.
>>
>>48717473
I mean, the "deity" would inform him that these other characters in the party are "companions essential to bringing good and justice to the land".

I think that, as long as there is not a Paladin or an Anti-Paladin in the party, this character could get along with the party whether it was good or evil.

>>48717467
>>48717522
So would it be CN or CE? He'd react violently sometimes and sometimes passively. It all depends on what the "deity" commands of him.

The biggest thing is situation; how people are acting, etc. He'd act a lot like an extremely paranoid person who doesn't know he's paranoid, but rather thinks he has a divine guide that gives him absolute flawless advice to live by/act on.

>>48717562
Does alignment work like that? Can I tell DM that he qualifies as LG for spells and effects and that his alignment is actually CN? Is there a special rule for that?
>>
>>48717612
The problem isn't that the character would be hostile to the party, the problem is that a character who randomly murders and commits acts that you describe as heinous crimes is a massive liability at best and SICKNESS MUST BE PURGED at worst, depending on how charitable your group is.
>>
>>48717612
CN because he isn't solely committing evil acts.
>>
>>48717612
And that advice is always, coincidentally, exactly what he wants to do at that moment. There's no proper 'order' to that person's life even if they have a few consistent patterns.

And you're describing flat-out CE. Such "episodes" will more than compensate for the "passive" days (he was already down to 'neutral' after all). You don't have to murder something EVERY day to be evil.

This is a bad person. not a well person at all. This is a paranoid person (in a setting where he has to deal with groups, organizations and possibly actual conspiracies) with extremely dangerous powers (ANY kind of adventurer above tier 6 really) and a moral/ethical compass composed of "dropped on his fucking head when he was little" and "they're all after me you're one of them".

This is not someone you associate with, this is someone you put down.
>>
>>48717698
You have to commit a bunch of good acts just to balance out the one evil act once in a while. Come on, you know how this shit works. "easy fall, easy go"
>>
Are there any associated special rules if a spherecaster wants to gain craft feats?
>>
>>48717654
But the thing is that I don't plan to tell them that he is just acting purely on his insanity. I am gonna try to get the DM in on it. Every time he does something, he's going to explain it thoroughly in a way that tries to make the party understand that a deity of justice told him that the actions he commited/they must commit (because he'll try to convince the party to follow him and his schizophrenia-induced delusions) was the right thing to do. In a best case scenario, the entire party starts following this insane character and begins believing that he actually has a deity telling him what actions are best for the party to take. People love to have justification for evil actions and be rid of responsibility or liability. This character is supposed to be a psychological ride for everyone involved.
>>
>>48717724
I dunno senpai, I'd just make you reroll a character that wasn't a liability. That's limiting the rest of your party on what they're allowed to play and not fun for everyone else. He might think its a cool idea, but the session is literally going to turn into "How do we make sure he isn't going to go crazy on us" or "Here we go, he's going to kill everything and ruin the progress we've made"
>>
>>48717742
>But the thing is that I don't plan to tell them that he is just acting purely on his insanity.

All the more reason to MURDER THE SHIT OUT OF THE CHARACTER THE SECOND HE STARTS PUTTING THE GROUP IN DANGER, because you can't even do the 'this poor man is clearly not well' thing.

Seriously, this is a fucking terrible idea and every time you try to justify it, it just gets worse.
>>
>>48717742

...Unless your party is comprised entirely of murderhobos with no moral compass, I really don't see your "best-case scenario" happening. More likely, your paranoid schizophrenic ends up dead or abandoned.
>>
>>48717796
Even then, murderhobos tend to have some minimal sense of self preservation that continually interacting with the guy who randomly kills people and commits atrocities because fishmalk would violate.
>>
>>48717742
Literally don't do this, you will have no friends by the end of the first session, and no one will think you're clever or fun.
>>
File: 1458651698877.png (118KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1458651698877.png
118KB, 250x241px
>>48710731
>Literally wearing a star of david

Oy vey, how progressive.
>>
>>48710981
Were you the one who used that picture for your dragon rider not knowing that the character in the picture rides a dragon in her source material?
>>
>>48717708
>>48717698
>>48717724
>>48717796
>>48717839
The CE argument is making sense, but is he truly considered evil if his intentions are meant to be good?

>>48717769
>>48717780
Do you guys really think that this idea is not a good one? I usually try to bring unique character ideas to the table and they usually go well (previous examples: True Neutral ex-bandit Gunslinger who speaks in the third person due to it being "more polite", Lawful Good Cavalier who speaks with a Russian accent and believes that there is never good reason to kill when you can reform, a chaotic neutral trickster German sounding twin who causes Peter Pan level mischief with his brother, etc.)

I thought that this would be a good idea that would lead to unique situations, a campaign that is little more on the chaotic-side, and a generally interesting time for everyone.

I still kinda want to do the idea, but I don't wanna fuck everyone's enjoyment up. Should I maybe do the character idea, but have him avoid murder and instead embrace tropes like "entering houses and taking stuff is acceptable for heroes because we need it more than them to save the world" (to justify theft) and other sorts of less harmful ideas that allow for truly chaotic/somewhat evil stuff? I still plan to mislead the party and give misinformation based on what the "deity" tells my character. This character is indeed supposed to believe he is chosen and a special snowflake, hopefully convincing the party that he actually may indeed be "chosen".

If that still sounds bad, do you think you'd have a better idea to tweak him to be acceptable for group-play or do you think it's a concept that should be completely scrapped?
>>
>>48717927
I completely and totally think two things:

1) That character idea absolutely needs to be scrapped
2) Accents are not a substitute for character development
3) GOTO 1
>>
>>48713914
>>48713927
>>48714001
>>48714178
>>48714246
Thanks for the helpful insight
>>
>>48717927

>Is he truly considered evil if his intentions are meant to be good

Ever hear the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"? Doing something horrible doesn't magically become okay just because you're crazy enough to think it is.

Maybe your party will think it's hilarious and want to go along with it; I don't know them, so I can't say. But I personally think it's a bad idea, and I'm having a hard time imagining circumstances under which I'd want a character like that in the party.
>>
>>48717962
>>48718056
Okay then. Well fair 'nuff then. I guess that if the character idea is not actually good, then I'll just go back to the drawing board for this character. It's just kinda hard to think of "unique personality" for every class of character. The psychic is especially hard, in my opinion (as are most casters). I despise playing "standard fantasy archetype/trope character #45"; unique characters tend to be hard to think up though.

Have either of you played any sort of occult caster? If so, what was your characters' personalities like?
>>
>>48717927
The thing is that those character thoughts don't result in a person who is a massive fucking liability to the group.

"Speaks in third person" is a lot different to "Murders people because the voices in his head told him to"

Also, those are quirks. Not characters.
>>
>>48718114
Personality doesn't have to be related to class, you know.

It can be influenced by it, but casters for instance shouldn't be any harder to devise than anyone else.
>>
>>48710655
>relationships
>implying

Not even in my fantasies. It doesn't even hurt anymore. There's just nothing there.
>>
>>48718283
Aww, I'll be in a relationship with you! Strangers is a type of relationship, right?
>>
>>48718303
You don't understand. It's too late. It's been too late since the day I was born.

Some things aren't meant to be.
>>
>>48718114
Here's my tip: Play a character, not a class. Don't play 'a psychic', play a guy who happens to be a psychic. Geddit?

Now, I'm not saying that what a character can do shouldn't shape their personality in any way shape or form, because that'd be silly, but I'm saying that it shouldn't be the sole determinant of their personality.

TL;DR warning incoming for people who don't care about other people's characters:

To answer your question: I'm currently playing a Radiance House occultist. As the seventh child of a relatively minor noble family, she made the decision to join the setting's equivalent of the Roman Legion in the hopes that she'd get the prestige and influence that she believe she's owed. Unfortunately, she turned out to be an average at best soldier, and when it was clear that her family name wasn't enough to get her an officer's position, she turned to foreign spirit-rituals that she'd pieced together from salvaged records and hearsay, in an attempt to make herself seem greater than she actually was.

Needless to say, the Roman Legion frowned on that shit, and she was 'encouraged' to 'go on a scouting mission' 'to a far away place' 'and maybe never come back'. Now, her motivation is to perfect her art and prove that she deserves to return to her homeland.

That's a short version of the backstory, but we can pull a few things from it that aren't really class-related:

1) She believes she is worthy of greater things than she currently achieves,
2) She's not particularly afraid to take unconventional routes to achieve that power,
3) Because of this, she's come into conflict with her superiors in the past,
4) But instead of quitting while she's ahead, she doubles down and gets herself into more trouble.

Being an Occultist is the catalyst for her story, but not her story in and of itself.
>>
>>48718429
Believe it or not, that helps wonderfully for helping me understand character building. In the past, I've always tried making my entire character around a unique quirk, their class/race, and a self-created drawback (which may translate into one of the drawbacks in the rules). It seems that my characters generally go over well with the group and, whether or not my character is built for it, they tend to become a party face. I think that's where my own personal drawbacks enter the game; being too interested in decision making, even when playing lazy true neutral characters.

I think that, by creating my character in a similar way that you do, I may be able to create a character concept that is less of a "quirk". Thanks anon, I'll take your advice to heart and try to apply it to my character.

Still kinda bummed that my idea for this character is so bad it should be straight up scrapped, though it's better to give up on ideas rather than try to force them and end up making someone that nobody enjoys playing with.
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 800x1124px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 800x1124px
Please Rate my first OC Donut Steel
Semi-Sorta-Repost
> Sylph daughter of a gunslinger father
> Like many Sylph, leaves home village at a young age, taking an ancient pistol of her fathers
> Makes fixing it up almost a hobby
> Settles in new village where she steals an Alchemists potion
> Teens are dumb
> The police quickly track her down
> As a Sylph the way the Investigator efficiently gathered and disseminated information really appeals to her
> Begs to join him after release
> Aging Investigator allows her to work as his assistant
> Busy, she forgets the pistol
> years pass
> Our Story Begins
> Now does her best to emulate the calm, logical, neutral demeanor of her late boss
> carries his old Sword Cane
> Finds old gun when packing for her journey
> Now knows quite a bit on how to repair it
Character is Steel Hound Investigator

The best part of writing these down is realizing they sound far worse outside your head.

> pic cool, but unrelated
>>
>>48718556
I'm really glad it helped! Especially because I look back at that post and oh wow it's riddled with typos.

A tip I've heard that might help: Whenever making a character, take some time to write down a three sentence backstory, three things the character believes strongly in, and three things the character fears. It's not a lot, but it really adds depth to characters.
>>
File: stamp-of-approval.jpg (29KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
stamp-of-approval.jpg
29KB, 284x284px
>>48718613
>>
>>48718613
Is that a 2hu character picture?
>>
>>48718613
>The best part of writing these down is realizing they sound far worse outside your head.

oh christ yes

Other than that, I like it! I'm a sucker for MY FALLEN MENTOR plotlines. It's simple, it works. If I were your GM, though, I'd ask what the co-workers of your mentor thought of your character, a thief, working with and eventually attempting to take over his position.
>>
>>48718657
99% sure that's a Sakuya
>>
>>48718709
I don't know who that is, but I'll take that as a yes. I thought it looked a bit familiar, even if I haven't played many or beaten any.
>>
>>48718729
Touhou 6, maid to vampire sisters, throws knives, does ZA WARUDO
>>
>>48718613

Not bad, would go on adventures with.
>>
>>48718613
Needs less Sylph Investigator and needs more Ratfolk Barbarian. Also, add a backstory about how she once saved a kidnapped gangster from a cute young girl. Why not add a mascot too? The kids love mascots!
>>
>>48718056
My favorite example is
>We're bringing democracy to them
(one testicular electrode or blown up hospital at a time)
>>
File: Funny filename.png (923KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Funny filename.png
923KB, 1536x1024px
hey, /pfg/ wasn't really here when people were speculating discussing most of the archetypes and other things in horror adventures after the anon dumped it.
unless you still are and I'm just blind
My questions are:
What's your favorite thing about HA?
>Favorite archetype?
>Favorite spel?
if you've looked through them
>Favorite item or feat?
and the one people were seemingly the most hype about:
>favorite corruption, from the point of view as either a DM inflicting them on a party, or a player.
>>
>>48718772
>Ratfolk Barbarian.
You say that, but I've built one before. He was cool, plus Titan Mauler is good on Small characters since most everything is bigger than you.
>>
>>48718622
>Three beliefs
>How does adventuring affirm them?
>How does adventuring deny them?

>Three fears: one public, one private, one secret
>How does adventuring overcome them?

>Three goals: one short-term, one long-term, one life's work
>How does adventuring meet them?

>Three sentences describing the event(s) that made you become an adventurer.
>>
>>48718556
Here's a tip.

True neutral isn't lazy. It just means they aren't particularly aligned. THey can still have hopes, dreams, goals, fears, hates, all that sorta stuff. Just means they don't feel strong enough about good or evil or about law and chaos to have an alignment.
>>
>>48718883
Oooooh.
>>
File: t3UmUcs.jpg (106KB, 900x562px) Image search: [Google]
t3UmUcs.jpg
106KB, 900x562px
>>48718824

>Favorite Archetype
Serial killer looks awesome, but not the sort of thing I'd use except in really specific campaigns. Hangman Vigilante and Mooncursed Barb aren't exactly powerhouses, but they seem pretty cool-I might try to use one of them next character.

>Favorite Spell
Didn't look very closely, but I think there was one where you pretty much hit someone with a tidal wave of hell energy or something like that? That sounded rad.

>Favorite item or feat
Probably Gruesome Shapechanger. Makes you explode out of your skin in a shower of gore when you change, turns your square into difficult terrain and forces any enemy who saw you to make a fort save or be sickened for a minute. Could do some pretty hilarious shit with that one.

>Favorite corruption
Possessed seems both interesting and not terrible, so I'll go with that one.
>>
>>48718923
I have a little printout of this I give my players to fill out before every new character. I tell them they don't have to fill every box, but at least think about every question. The quality of their characters has DRASTICALLY improved in the time since.
>>
>>48718824
>What's your favorite thing about HA?
Halfling racial traits. "Look like a china doll and gain the Freeze quality" is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>48718936
I'm always looking for more of these (except the game of twenty questions, that's way too fucking much), so I'll definitely save it for myself, too.
>>
>>48718950
Do you have any others you'd mind sharing? I collect such things too, and this is definitely near the upper limit of complexity I'm willing to inflict on players.
>>
>>48718977
Not him, but here.

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2010/11/27-questions/
>>
>>48718824
>Favorite archetype(s)
Mooncursed barbarian is #1, simply because martials being anle to shapeshift is great. It's a downgrade but it's cool AF anyway. The "hit the man with a book" inquisitor looks dank, if a bit wonky. Shit's a prepped caster though, so it'll probably at least be decent.

Serial killer is good, but
>Evil only
Killed it for me.

Other shit was all kinda meh. The vigilante with a mutagen was almost cool, up until the whole "FORCED TO MUTAGEN UNDER CONFUSION EFFECT!" bullshit. Just fuck my shit up paizo, yet again you make a vigilante archetype that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

>favorite item/feat/whatever
Hands down the creepy doll halfling racial trait. Other racial traits were alright but that one in particular is hilarious to me.

>The rest
Shit's fucked. There was one cool fire spell that looked like it would be hilarious on a blaster for melting a single target, but otherwise meh.
>>
>>48718977
Sadly, I'm away from my trove of RPG stuff at the moment, but I'll be happy to toss some in when I can.
>>
File: Radical.png (105KB, 317x265px) Image search: [Google]
Radical.png
105KB, 317x265px
>>48718824
forgot to say my own. none of it's based on actual play since I'm shit at... theorycraft? i forget the actual words /tg/ has for deciding if things are good while not having actually played it.
>archetype
Living grimoire, I'm a bit better at prepared casters, plus come on, hitting people with a book sounds awesome.
>spell
Hedging weapons.
depends on the god, but fuck me if that doesn't sound like some anime tier fun bullshit for a first level spells.
Wonder if you can make it floating books, combine it with living grimoire somehow.
>item/feat
Dark grimoire.
Sounds pretty similar to the hand/eye of vecna.
>Corruption
Promethean looks cool as fuck thematically, haven't looked over it, would love to have it happen to a party.
Vampirisim also seems pretty cool, full on bram stroker/old gothic stories horror of the night.

wow, I'm such a fucking bibliophile, shit extends to thinking imaginary books are cool

>>48719032
>>48718946
I'll admit, that halfing feat makes me chuckle, I'll have to point it out to my group. it's just great.
>>
>>48718639
Y-you came back?!
>>
>>48719111
The real QANON was the friends we made along the way.
>>
>>48719111
She never left, bro.

Bitching just makes people not want to post.
>>
Building a character background here, but need you guys' help. What would be some reasons for a sibling rivalry? It will be about a sibling (older one's the PC) having inferiority complex toward each other for some reasons.
>>
>>48719234
Ryu ga waga teki wo kurau!
>>
>>48719234

Perhaps a professional basis? Maybe one had a knack for daddy's job, and the other didn't (or at least, had a knack for going about it differently). Love rivalry's another option, as is parental favoritism-especially if they're stepsiblings or one's adopted, and they feel like the other is an outsider.
>>
File: 1450837583992.gif (87KB, 192x197px) Image search: [Google]
1450837583992.gif
87KB, 192x197px
Hey /pfg/ I've got a question for you:
I'm really wanting to make a necromancer/edgy as fuck caster, either a save or suck, "fuck you, trying to do shit to my party, geddafugg outta here" kind of character, or a mix of that and having big scary skeleton(s), with a focus on having single scary minions, rather than micromanaging an army.

Ideally, able to have a spell for every situation to fuck up people's day, plus a little utility and damage, or leave damage to things I have reanimated.
Problem is, I'm retardedly new to PF, a guy at the new FLGS i go to convinced me to play, and so have no idea how to go about it.
Mind helping me out with something like a good class/archetype, other fun stuff?

No 3rd party sources apparently, and if you have racial advice, want to keep in core races, but he'll probably accept other stuff, especially if it's just something like the featured races in the advanced race guide.
>>
>>48719234
Inheritance?
>>
>>48719234
My oldest set of characters was literally this. Older sibling had no special talent, and was completely mediocre. (Until he discovered necromancy.)
Younger sibling ended up blessed, literally. Excelled at nearly everything, but took up the path of the paladin of the deity that blessed her.

Playing either character served as a fun side story for us to get involved in.
>>
File: 1467857962564.png (1MB, 704x7901px) Image search: [Google]
1467857962564.png
1MB, 704x7901px
>>48719270
>>
>>48719289
Most of your options will involve playing a full caster. There are a few traps for undead, but the comprehensive list of guides in the link repository is the first place I'd look. That said, I'd suggest arcanist for options, or sorcerer for ease.
>>
>>48719301
Was the middle sibling an oracle?
>>
>>48719322
Nope.

Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite comics, though, original inspiration did draw from that, but I always intended it to be more of a game of cat and mouse/inferiority complex than the dramas the Deegan family rolled in.
>>
>>48719316
I'm actually looking there right now, i'm not one of those shitheads that don't read the OP links.

Just figured /pfg/ is probably better at "fun" than a single dude (with advice from others) making a guide to be optimal or something similar, so I'd ask.
>>
>>48719234
1) The older PC feels that the younger one has more freedom than they do, is jealous.
2) The older PC feels the younger has cheated them out of something - physical, social, spiritual, whatever. Cain and Abel.
3) The older PC is forced to provide protection of some kind or another for the younger PC, and resents it. Doesn't have to be a bodyguard, of course.
4) Any of the above, but with the roles reversed.
>>
>>48719333
>dominic deegan

Ew.
>>
>>48719343
There are a few traps, but most cases of animating dead is about finding the bigges,t bloodiest skeleton there is. Not a lot of rules for animating a single thing with higher hit dice than it had racially, unfortunately. That said, if you want an interesting play (And haven't been spoiled by vancian magic yet) Consider looking into words of power. IT gives you fewer, but more flexible options. (And a free form of animated dead.) but you'll give up a lot of the unique powers arcane casters pride themselves on.
>>
>>48719333
When do you feel it started going to shit?
>>
File: shit.jpg (9KB, 198x254px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
9KB, 198x254px
>>48719357
>>
>>48719234
Well, thanks for the input guys so far. (honestly) Could you guys also think of reasons for the younger one to envy(?) or rival-rize the older one?
>>
>>48719375
Honestly, really early on. I found myself finishing it kind of like a pity read. Interesting premise, some neato setting ideas, but it got clogged with a lot of moral garbage and pointless drama. I dunno if I could find a specific point, been years since my last read. The first warning sign was all that 'champion of balance' hooey, but it had a good few things thrown in with the garbage for a while.
>>
>>48718824
>Favorite Archtype
Develotion Druid; forcing some poor sob that pissed you off to become a stupid shell of their former selves and serving you is so deliciously evil and elitist.
>Favorite Spell:
nothing really stood out to me
>Favorite Feat or Item:
Only really looked at the torture items and the choker with the 2 forks sticking out looked simple yet cool.
>Favorite Corruption
Possession since theoretically a 3rd stage possessed PC could still play, just only when he gets back into control.

Ghoul seemed easy to manage as well, since you literally just have to have meat from something intelligent like an orc or goblin.
>>
>>48719367
>words of power
based on a quick read, it's probably out, but I'll ask about it, and take a look at it.
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-09+at+11.49.00).jpg (369KB, 1432x916px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-09+at+11.49.00).jpg
369KB, 1432x916px
Rate my party. They're about to hit the first boss floor of this dungeon crawler.
From left to right:
>Obitu Stalker
>Human Cleric
>(Demonized) Human Unchained Swashbuckler
>Tiefling Trapbreaker Alchemist
>Human Sorceror
>Human Unchained Monk
>>
>>48719387
...It's natural?
Seriously, older sibling worship is a common thing, and doesn't always need a reason. It can be as common as sibling rivalry. All they could really want is approval.

Could be the parents favorited the older one, or they had an advantage in upbringing that the younger one missed out on. A noble title or inheritance, or even just being picked by a certain teacher.

>>48719403
Fair enough. I've never actually played it myself, but it's one of those bucket list character ideas of mine.
>>
>>48719387

>He's going to get the throne! What an asshole!
>He's going to get dad's business! What an asshole!
>He's going to get dad's magic demon-slaying sword! What an asshole!
>He's going to get the girl! What an asshole!
>He's going to get the super special job I wanted! What an asshole!
>He's hotter than me! What an asshole!
>>
>>48719387
Continuing from this... the younger one (nPC) w/ better talents trying to outdo the older one (PC) is basic idea. PC accepted that his brother is better than him and resigned on competing, but for some reason nPC brother still consider PC as rival and tries to compete. That 'some reason' is what I need you guys' opinion on. Why would he?
>>
>>48711075
You can only do free actions on your turn or well doing another action.
Talking is explicitly outside these limitations in the rules.
>>
File: 1343185977912.png (21KB, 196x229px) Image search: [Google]
1343185977912.png
21KB, 196x229px
>>48715445
am >>48719289
can someone explain these to me?
and say if any of these are 3rd party
Bloody undead seem personally the most awesome from just reading that they're really fucking hard to kill, but the others...

juju zombies seems cool, but it's basically only if you have really good human opponents, or...?
It says a template that can be applied to a -living- corporeal creature, so there's that I guess?

>frostfallen
I don't understand why these are good, I'm maybe missing something.

looking at necrocraft atm
>>
New Thread

>>48719758
>>48719758
>>48719758
>>48719758
>>
>>48719761
Eat dicks.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.