[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag seeking help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: punished scooper.jpg (42KB, 629x624px) Image search: [Google]
punished scooper.jpg
42KB, 629x624px
Hey there /tg/. I don't post here at all, so I apologize in advance for my complete lack of knowledge. Please tell me to fuck off if I am asking something supremely stupid.

Basically, I have had a certain story in my mind for almost a year now. I've thought it through almost completely. It takes place in a sci-fi setting, with strong military elements. I would hope to make everything custom, not in an existing universe.

My question is this; how would I translate this into a traditional game? The most resource I have at this point is a group chat between me and my friends, but I am looking for a relevant ruleset to follow. I don't want to just make it an RP because I am simply too retarded to come up with a working system that wouldn't be boring.

Sorry for how long this post is, I am just a genuine retard looking for a solution to my retard problem.
>>
>I've thought it through almost completely
>how would I translate this into a traditional game?

Hopefully fucking never.
>>
>>48696186
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant just translate it into a working system for me and my group.
>>
GURPS High Tech GURPS Ultra Tech GURPS Bio Tech GURPS Space GURPS Spaceships

GURPS Basic Set

all in the gurps general thread as free pdfs.
>>
>>48696249
This looks like it will definitely suit my needs.
Thanks so much, anon.
>>
>>48696173
I'm no expert on scifi rpgs, but my limited experience with Traveler was pretty good. It seemed like a versatile system that would probably fit your needs well enough. As a general warning though, learning any ruleset is going to require that you actually sit down and read a book. This might sound like a stupid warning, but I've met alot of people who really didn't want to read a book so they tried running games without reading the rules. I've never seen that turn out well. So please, whatever system you use, actually read it beforehand.

Also, just looking around Google for scifi rpgs would probably be a better place to start than /tg/.
>>
>>48696173
Are you trying to make the story into a traditional game, or just the setting?
>>
>>48696301
I'll try not to be lazy, thanks for the advice.
Honestly, I wasn't sure where to start. I'll admit I can be somewhat incompetent at times

>>48696304
I just wanted a way to play out the story I've thought up with my lads
>>
>>48696351
>I just wanted a way to play out the story I've thought up with my lads
Don't. Just make the story. RPGs fall apart when the GM just wants to tell a story.
>>
>>48696382
Oh, yeah I can see what you mean. I'll try to angle more towards just using the setting.
>>
File: 1373336758499.jpg (242KB, 1600x900px)
1373336758499.jpg
242KB, 1600x900px
>>48696173
No, you have come to the right place and submitted a valid query. This is how /tg/ is supposed to work.

One problem you might run into is that roleplaying is a collaborative effort. There are such campaigns that take a lot of the story progress for granted, but usually it's more fun to go with the flow and explore what the players come up with. See Darths & Droids for a fictional version of that which happens to come out Phantom Menace.

So consider staying flexible with your story and your world. You don't need much to make a plot vivid. Everything behind the scenes of a game should bend to the dynamic at the table. Look up the Pareto Principle. Worldbuilding is fun, but don't invest time inventing things that no one will ever get to see.

For mechanics there's different ways to go.

Fate is popular with its meta rules that apply to any action and help frame a scene. They also scale really well so you don't have to worry about details, just follow the formula. Core is free, settings like Diaspora, Bulldogs!, or Mindjammer cost money.

ORE is great. You will have to know what you want the mechanics to do for the game, different ORE games will show you how flexible these rules can be. Then it is an easy to mod engine that runs faster and with more precision than anything else. Nemesis is free. Monsters and Other Childish Things has a free quickstart. Reign has the $10 Enchiridion with just the mechanics, no setting. ORE Mecha and Star ORE are free mini concepts. The System Toolkit.zip is also free.

BRP is a great work horse that doesn't clutter everything up but still has a solid simulation that resolves quickly enough. The new Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition or its sibling Pulp Cthulhu are a good place to start. CoC quickstart rules are free. For starters all you have to do is adapt the skill list and you're ready to play any setting. With a bit more experience you can tweak PC prowess, Luck spending options, or effects on the PC background.
>>
>>48696422
Much better. Stop by the World-Building General if you want help developing it.
>>
>>48696457
I really appreciate the reply, you've given me a lot of information.
I'll definitely research these options and see which one fits the setting best
>>48696543
Will do, thanks
>>
>>48696422
I'm not sure exactly how detailed your planning of the story is, but if you're thinking of just the framework of a story it might be possible to run with your friends.

There's nothing wrong with saying you want to run a game about space mercenaries who have been blacklisted and now are on the hunt to clear their names. Just be upfront with your friends that that's what the game will be about and make sure they're interested in actually playing. The problem though is if you have planned that after they fight the rogue space CIA agent that they'll find his hidden holorecorder and use the information on it to blackmail an arms dealer in another system into smuggling them into a military blacksite. Odds are they won't have the same idea as you, and you need to be prepared to roll with those kinds of punches.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.