[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 16

File: a_bad_end_ch04_035.jpg (372KB, 700x1003px) Image search: [Google]
a_bad_end_ch04_035.jpg
372KB, 700x1003px
Exalted is a high flying RPG about a god being reborn into a world gone wrong when she was sleeping.

With high flying action and high flying powers, allied with high flying characters in a high flying world, Exalted is the epitome of high flying.

Resources:
* Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exalted
* Tv tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Exalted
* AooW: https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Exalted/works

Who is the cutest transgender character of Exalted?
>>
>>48685583
>Touhou
>transgenders
>TVTropes
>A pointless link to Wikipedia

Yeah, we're off to a great start.
>>
File: smugwolf.jpg (155KB, 450x425px) Image search: [Google]
smugwolf.jpg
155KB, 450x425px
Free edition of Godbound, a great Exalted replacement:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185959/Godbound-A-Game-of-Divine-Heroes-Free-Edition

Why not play Godbound?
>>
File: 1461871154254.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461871154254.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>48685675
>A badly designed pathfinder class.
>Replacing exalted.

Lel. I hope you're serious.
>>
File: smug anime girl 417.png (117KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl 417.png
117KB, 372x351px
>>48685730
>Pathfinder
>>
How do Exigents attune to magical materials?

I mean, I assume that it works something like, everybody can attune to Jade, Abyssals can attune to everything but Orichalcum, and the rest can also attune to 'their' materials. And you can attune to something that's resonant material and a little bit of non-resonant material.

But suppose you have an Exigent of, I dunno, Huma, the goddess of wisdom, darkness, and ravens? What sort of magical material resonates with her Chosen?
>>
Morke and Holden are liars

Remember that as you keep posting in this general for your dead game
>>
>>48686141

You probably get to pick.
>>
File: george-panfilov-1a.jpg (235KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
george-panfilov-1a.jpg
235KB, 1920x1080px
>>48686141
You either have no Magical Material, or one that resonates strongly with the nature of your god.

Huma, goddess of wisdom, darkness and ravens would probably grant you a special link to Soulsteel and/or Starmetal, maybe just a special link to black Jade.
>>
can the game only be played while airborne, or is it possible to anchor the materials to the table by means of a tether?
>>
>>48686657
With really tall chairs you can play on your ceiling
>>
>>48686141
I'm expecting that they'll work like Solars in 3E, and can just attune what they please.
>>
>>48687081
Then I shall shed a tear for magical materials, which used to have cool fluff.
>>
>>48687264

They have more fluff than they did before.

I can't think of anyone who picked magical materials for any reason other than "Can I attune to it natively?" for non-Infernals or "Jade and Moonsilver" for Infernals.

The number of artifacts that were just "all five MMs" or "any MM" dramatically outnumbered the number of artifacts that had to be made from one particular MM because of themes and flavor of the material.
>>
File: Screen.png (688KB, 797x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Screen.png
688KB, 797x1030px
>>48685730
Where did this meme get started? Is it just that they have the same name?

Regardless, it's a better name than Dawnborn. We seem to have a lot of alternatives to Exalted at the moment.

>>48685675
>Why not play Godbound?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Godbound seems to do Exalted's thing much more simply, so you're probably going to have an easier time playing Godbound unless you're already in an Exalted game, and /tg/ is where people go to post about games they aren't playing.

A short point:
I like Exalted and Shadowrun for their bucket'o'dice approach, because you get a nice probability curve where you can be next to certain that your character, master of a particular thing, will always succeed at the easy rolls at that thing. Not so with flat single-die curve. Buckets are slow to roll, but there's fun to be had in them. However, both Exalted and Godbound have special abilities that let you auto-succeed at easy rolls, which gives you the advantage of the dice bucket without the disadvantage. And on top of that, Godbound uses a d20 system, so when there's actually a chance of failure you can resolve an action very quickly.

Exalted doesn't need buckets of dice to let you say "my character is just SO awesome" when it also has charms, but it does have buckets of dice anyway, and that slows down the game. In this respect, Godbound is a better system.

(Also, I'll throw in a low blow and point out that Godbound has cool craft powers. Reaching into an ore vein and pulling out a sword isn't an elaborate charm-equivalent tree, or even a single charm-equivalent, it's an automatic power if you're playing a crafter. That's cool.)
>>
>>48685675
Because I like Ex3's combat system better.
>>
I am looking to play my first game of 3e the week after next and am currently making my character. I am looking towards playing a thrown supernal gambler character, with decent stealth and social stats. As I have no experience with the mechanics, what are the essential charms in thrown and are there any abilities that really mesh well with it. As well as this are there any essential charms I should be buying like there were in 2e, or is the system robust enough to not punish me too badly for not picking up certain charms?
>>
>>48690908
In 3E at least, there are no 'must have' charms like Perfect Defenses. Some charms are probably better choices than others, but there's nothing that will screw you over.
>>
>>48691404
>but there's nothing that will screw you over

Clearly you have not read the Occult tree
>>
>>48691465

You are dramatically underestimating how common spirits are if you don't think you'll be using the Occult tree nearly every session if you have a mind to.
>>
>>48691486
Bits of it, sure

But that fucker has plenty of worthless dead ends
>>
>>48691503

I'm curious what you consider worthless, since I can't think of any Charms that wouldn't be worth the price.
>>
>Without this commitment, subtract -5 from the weapon’s Accuracy and its Defense
Hey, Morke, you do realize that if you subtract a negative number, that's the same as adding a positive number, right? You stupid piece of shit?
>>
>>48690153
Get this trash its own thread please.
>>
So does a light artifact weapon weigh less than a mundane heavy weapon? If not, why does it deal less damage?
>>
>>48691931

Because there's more to how much damage at thing does than its weight?
>>
>>48691931
Artifact weapons weigh too much for mortals to use, whether it's a Grand Goremall or a DaiKnitting-Needle

Magic makes them usable, not physics
>>
>>48691989
What feature of a zweihander makes it do more damage than a short daiklave? Its weight? Its sharpness?

>>48691995
Every dev comment I've seen suggests that the reason artifact weapons are good is that they're light (to the wielder) and heavy (to the recipient of force). So what does it mean if my artifact short daiklave isn't as good at cutting people as a six pound two-handed sword?
>>
>>48692084
>What feature of a zweihander makes it do more damage than a short daiklave? Its weight? Its sharpness?

How about size?

A six inch knife that weights 500 pounds still isn't going to cut any deeper than 6 inches.
>>
>>48692117
A short daiklave has a blade three feet long.
>>
>>48692149

The overall point stands.

Also remember that the actual damage of a weapon only plays in withering, ie, non-fatal attacks. The size of a weapon is a factor in how easily it pushes someone into a vulnerable position.
>>
>>48691778
anon, you really need to get that butthurt checked out
>>
Yell at devs thread?
Yell at devs thread.
>Thousand Courtesan Ways
>Duration: Indefinite
>this Charm raises her Appearance by one for the rest of the scene

Is this also how you did proofreading? Read for one scene and claimed to have done it indefinitely?
>>
Scarlet getting DP-ed by TED is the best thing Exalted has ever given us
>>
>>48692252

The Charm has effects beyond the appearance boost, you realize.
>>
>>48692117
Though it may happily cut a six inch deep gash from bollocks to eyebrows, more or less splitting you in half, which would be more than most swords would bother with under combat conditions.
>>
>>48692349

A nice decisive attack, but at that point the weapon you use is largely irrelevant except as stunt material.
>>
>>48692319
You're awfully trusting that the designers deliberately meant to have a split-duration charm rather than fucking up when they a) have a fuckup record as long as a starving year, b) have demonstrated the ability to write explicit nonstandard durations elsewhere.
>>
>>48692916

It's not about trust, I just don't give a shit about "designer intent." For all designer intent matters, TCW could have been "intended" to be a Permanent Charm.

All that matters is final result. I like TCW having a split-duration, so the fact that it does is nice to me. If TCW gets changed, whether it makes it closer to "designer intent" or not, it will be a net negative for me, so designer intent will have been a negative force in the game for me.
>>
Please use the proper Exalted general OP with all the proper resources next time. Also Exalted as anything Touhou related is such a 2.5 thing.
>>
>>48691890
It would get no traction if they did that.

For all the comments about Godbound on Sufficient Velocity's Exalted thread, their actual Godbound Thread is fucking dead.
>>
>>48685675

If you're going to do d20, don't be afraid to kill off all the darlings.

Instead you have the author pandering to the gronards.
>>
>>48694154

>Also Exalted as anything Touhou related is such a 2.5 thing.

Really? I've been making Touhou artifacts for some time now.
>>
File: 1461747493757s.jpg (3KB, 125x73px) Image search: [Google]
1461747493757s.jpg
3KB, 125x73px
>>48694154

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

The anon who started this thread is awful.
>>
>>48694645

It was trolling bait, pure and simple.

Like your thumbnail picture.
>>
File: wukong4.jpg (359KB, 1600x946px) Image search: [Google]
wukong4.jpg
359KB, 1600x946px
>>48694645
Shit bad image
>>
>>48694596
Please make more!
>>
>>48695525

The designs I've got stirring around now are Marisa's Mini-Hakkero and Utsuho's Nuclear Control Rod. The latter giving me some large design troubles as I want to play around the idea Volcano had with Eruption points but at the same time want to make it so the artifact isn't just "Ranged Volcano Cutter". Reimu's Yin-Yang orbs are another thing I want to try and tackle but haven't even began on that. Its also difficult when the fluff on them is next to nothing other than, "The orbs are a manifestation of the Hakurei Shine God, who can't do much else but makes them out of his willingness to support his shrine maiden and by god does he hate Youkai."

I'll definitely be making more, as I enjoyed making the three I did make.
>>
>>48695619
Try for Tenshi's sword? It sounds magical enough to be an artifact.

Yuyuko's fans as war fans?

Ran Yakumo as installable artifact program that runs on GNU/Linux?
>>
>>48696564

Tenshi's sword I *did* try long long ago in 2e, but the game died before it could be realized so I just gave up. I thought about coming back to it but needs ideas.

Yuyuko's fan would go great with Dreaming Pearl I'd imagine.

The Ran joke goes over my head completely.
>>
>>48696633
Lore joke. New stuff from ZUN has the shikigami known as "Ran Yakumo" as a separate entity that uses the kitsune as its host
Ran has possessed the kitsune for so long now that the kitsune's mind is effectively gone. There is no kitsune anymore, only the shikigami Ran Yakumo.
tldr Ran" is the OS and the kitsune she is possessing is the hardware

Should I be rolling introduce roll for this?
>>
>>48692288
Eh, that art was a bit too abstract for me.

Mnemon screwing up her demon summoning was better.
>>
Where do beastfolk come from? Is it really Lunars doing bestiality roleplay?
>>
>>48697556

That's a source, but not the biggest one.

Most beastfolk happen just because a society lived around the Wyld long enough.
>>
>>48696842

Wow that's surprising somewhat.

Ran as an overwrite personality could be done, but is fairly risky.
>>
>>48697556
Also sorcery, wyld-fuckery and environmental accident

But yeah, at some point in their history, most beastman cultures have a horny Lunar banging an animal
>>
>>48696842
Really? What game was this?
>>
>>48694645
I was just popping in to see if Anathema or a suitable alternative was out for 3e yet, but thanks for being the hero I needed.
>>
Doe Eyes Defense from the Black Claw Style costs 4m, 1i, penalizes an attacker's dice pool by the martial artist's Guile plus the intensity of any positive Intimacy the attacker might have for him, and with the Mastery effect grants the martial artist (1+the enemy's Intimacy) Initiative if the attack doesn't hit. It's affordable, has no special activation conditions or restrictions, and its effects seem pretty damn powerful. How to best counter this Charm?
>>
>>48699954

Archery has two good tools off the top of my head.

Phantom Arrow Technique. You get bonus damage and become numbed to the Intimacy in question. Literally shoot your love at them to beat them.

There Is No Wind also negates all penalties for non-visual conditions, and Doe Eyes Defense is not visual.
>>
>>48700054
Addendum: If your ST rules that it is visual, you just switch to Sight Without Eyes and negate the penalty for even cheaper (1m instead of 3m, either of which is more efficient than Doe Eyes).
>>
File: 0ab96cc7a2798209ecc8ca60f0284017.jpg (632KB, 709x1063px) Image search: [Google]
0ab96cc7a2798209ecc8ca60f0284017.jpg
632KB, 709x1063px
>>48698637
>>48698325
>>48696842
>>48696633
Not a game but from the recent touhou magazine ZUN helps write and publish actually
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Strange_Creators_of_Outer_World/Who%27s_Who_of_Humans_%26_Youkai_in_Gensokyo/Yukari_Yakumo,_Ran_Yakumo,_and_Chen

>Ran Yakumo is strictly the shikigami, and the nine-tailed fox youkai she is possessing is an entirely different being.
>However, since the original fox never shows on the surface at all, there's no problem in thinking of Ran Yakumo as a nine-tailed fox.

>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you are refering to as Ran Yakumo, is in fact, RAN/Kitsune, or as I've taken to calling, RAN plus Kitsune. Kitsune is not an shikigami unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning RAN operating system made useful by the RAN corelibs, Yakumo utilities, and vital system components compromising a full OS as defined by YOUKAI.

>Many shikigami run a modified version of the RAN system every day, without realizng it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of RAN which is widely used to is often called a Kitsune, and many of it's spell card opponents are not aware it is basically the RAN system, developed by the Touhou Project.

>There really is a Kitsune, and this shikigami is possessing it, but it is just a part of the youkai it uses. RAN is the kernelL the program in the Kitsune that allocates and controls the functions and behavior of the youkai to other shikigami it controls, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete shikigami. RAN is normally used in combination with the Kitsune: the whole system is basically the Kitsune with RAN added, or RAN/Kitsune. All the so-called shikigami are really distributions of RAN/Kitsune!
>>
>>48701213
INSTALL CIRNOO
>>
>>48701213

It makes me wonder if Komachi is actually Komachi then
>>
>>48685583
>Danmaku
>Not "Barrage"

Shit translation
>>
>>48703898
>FGSFDS
I'm not sure it's a translation at all.
>>
File: 71b6f9b6079d36f7c35b272234f1826f.png (735KB, 671x1100px) Image search: [Google]
71b6f9b6079d36f7c35b272234f1826f.png
735KB, 671x1100px
>>48690153
>Where did this meme get started? Is it just that they have the same name?

Because of the similarities between Pathfinder Mythic and Godbound, and the fact that Godbound literally started as a Pathfinder supplement describing the Godbound class.

Nowadays, there's a fair bit of other things in Godbound, but the d20 roots are strong.
>>
>>48704402
How does the Realm deal with retards?
>>
>>48704402
>Because of the similarities between Pathfinder Mythic and Godbound, and the fact that Godbound literally started as a Pathfinder supplement describing the Godbound class.
But that's wrong, you . It started out as an OSR game called Exemplars & Eidolons.
>>
>>48704904
Now you're just being contrarian.

There is nothing conceptually wrong being a pathfinder class. There is a lot of interesting well thought third party pathfinder classes like the masquerade reveler.

As long as people are willing to admit Godbound's roots and able to see past it, it is not a terrible game. Yes, the class in itself is unbalanced and not terribly interesting. The game mechanics are kind of boring (more boring than Pathfinder Mythic, as strange and impossible as that sounds). But the rest of the game is interesting. The Dominion mechanics are interesting. The random encounter system is incredibly well thought. I could certainly see myself playing one or two game of Godbound.
>>
>>48704996
>There is nothing conceptually wrong being a pathfinder class. There is a lot of interesting well thought third party pathfinder classes like the masquerade reveler.
Too bad all of Pathfinder is 100% fermented worm-ridden caca.
>>
Has anybody gotten the opportunity to use Perfect Mirror? How did you use it and how did it go?
>>
>>48704996

See >>48706629

You've build a very impressive looking house, but too bad the foundation for it is literal shit.
>>
Rolled 97, 20, 98 = 215 (3d100)

>>48685583
>>
>>48708927
Shills are everywhere, my friend.
>>
>>48708927
Probably because it's alright and has appeal for a lot of people who like Exalted.
>>
File: 362333b858a838c2575c86413ad88566.jpg (201KB, 821x1200px) Image search: [Google]
362333b858a838c2575c86413ad88566.jpg
201KB, 821x1200px
So when is anyone making Exalted vidya? You'd think being overpowered in an animu setting would be prime vidya material
>>
>>48709144
Nah. They shill because they want 3e to fail
>>
>>48709439
3e has failed friendo
>>
>>48690153
Seems kind of OP
>>
>>48709459
Failed... to be bad, that is! Jump in!
>>
>>48709439
Everyone I know in real life who likes Godbound also likes 3e, though. Including myself.
>>
>>48709459
Case in point
>>
>>48685583
Side note: Your OP is shit. >>48699185 is an example of how an OP should be designed.
>>
>>48710304

fuck off. He isn't here for your approval. Maybe he only lurks in these threads and this is his first time making a Exalted thread.

It doesn't matter what op posted. Quality of the thread matters.
>>
>>48711673
>Quality of the thread matters.

Whelp, failed on both counts then.
>>
>>48710304
No, this is a better example of what a good Exalted OP looks like. >>48694645
What a shock, maybe it's because that is our regular OP and this retard ended up making godbound and shitposting general.
>>
>>48711673
>He
you mean "I", right
>>
>>48711673
If he lurks, he would know the standard OP text and use that.
The OP directly affects the quality of a thread and makes it less likely to start off on the wrong foot, derailed by shitposting and dumb arguments.
So we can get straight to our normal discussion, shitposting, and dumb arguments.
>>
File: Smith.jpg (329KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
Smith.jpg
329KB, 700x512px
So crafting a First Age Artefact requires a Sorcerous Working preceding every Craft roll, and that higher rated Artefacts need more, powerful Workings. Can I still cut those out if I successfully craft the artefact in 2 or 3 rolls as Craftsnerds buyig up the Power subtree are wont to do?
>>
>>48716411

Completing the Artifact in fewer rolls requires fewer Workings, yes.
>>
So Spirit Stoking Elevation Allows you to replace the experience point cost of certain charms with expenditures of white points at a rate of 5wxp:1xp. Does this allow someone using it on Flowing Mind Prana and rolls to regain spent xp do I regain 5wxp per success on the roll or 1xp per every success on the roll? Because it is replacing experience points with 5wxp all the way through the charms effect or only on the initial cost?
>>
>>48717471

I'd probably say neither. Generating XP for something that's considerably easier to get (craft points) without any gamble to it is worthwhile on its own.
>>
>>48709240

It's really, really difficult to handle things given the nature of the combat.

However, 2E is almost fetishtically detailed. With a world-simulator, the game could run itself while the PC just did whatever he wanted across Creation.

It would be the most epic, world-spanning RPG ever. Like a 4X game where you only play one guy.
>>
>>48717989
Even taking into consideration the absurdly-low possibility of an Exalted video game, if it ever came into being it would infinitely more likely be some kind of linear spectacle fighter with absolutely no relation to the original PnP mechanics and utter disregard for the more minuscule details of the setting.

And I'd still be fine with it. Assuming it turned out a competent game overall.
>>
>>48711673
>>48713128
>>48715362
I can't believe than what is very clearly a joke could attract so much salt.

You should all grow up and be more chilly about everything. You make it look like /exg/ is full of angry 15 year olds with autism issues.
>>
>>48720170
How can that even be interpreted as a joke? Stop back-pedaling retard.
>>
File: smug anime god.jpg (13KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime god.jpg
13KB, 300x169px
>>48720180
>With high flying action and high flying powers, allied with high flying characters in a high flying world, Exalted is the epitome of high flying.
>Wikipedia
>Tv tropes
>Transgender.

How's that autism going, boy?
>>
>>48720302
Okay, I admit we fell for the bait of your shitty joke OP and actually made it into an exalted thread instead of letting it die like it should've.
>>
>>48709240
Why are exalts almost invariably tacky slags?
>>
>>48722635
Because everybody, man and woman alike, fantasizes about being a tacky slag.
>>
>>48722635
Why not? If you've got it, flaunt it. She might aswell have a "FUCK ME" sign written on her while being dressed as a prize-winning bicycle, not like anyone short of another exalt can even touch her
>>
>>48722678
>this is what anathema actually believe
>>
>>48722659
So does that make me neither?
>>
>>48722825
It means you're in denial.

More seriously, it's a really common power fantasy to be a sexy woman that everybody looks at (but can't touch), for both men and women. And Exalted is all about power fantasies, so it's no surprise that lots of people want to be the really sexy woman that everybody looks at (but can't touch).
>>
File: Lunar Courtship Ritual.jpg (68KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
Lunar Courtship Ritual.jpg
68KB, 345x395px
>>
What's everyone's opinion on EarthScorpion, Revlid, and the SV Exalted thread?
>>
EarthScorpion is a massive Infernals fanboy. Take him with a pound of salt on anything relating to Infernals or Infernal themes and he's pretty cool.

Revlid is like exalted developers would be if they had good mechanics but still poor PR, poor ability to handle criticism, and poor ability to kill their darlings. Am I damning with faint praise here?

The SV Exalted thread is a thousand pages long, it's hard to have an opinion on it.
>>
>>48724396
probably that they're fags
>>
>>48685583
sauce of picture google gives nothing
>>
>>48724396
Revlid writes both mechanics and fluff pretty well. ES is John Morke who didn't get to be a developer.SV Exalted thread is too long to be considered as a single entity, but its low points are both frquent and lower than even those of /exg/. Well okay, maybe not actually lower than the absolute worst /exg/ has offered, but still. It's not very good, all in all.
>>
>>48724396
>EarthScorpion,
Twat.

>Revlid
Good mechanics guy. Total sperg of a person.

>SV Exalted thread?
Bit of a misnomer since literally all they know about Exalted is ES' fanon.
>>
What exactly is EarthScorpions take on Exalted? I've looked into it a bit but it seems pretty divergent from regular Exalted which I'm not exactly sure is good thing. Is it worth looking into or would it be a waste of time?
>>
>>48724396
I think EarthScorpion should hurry up and put out more of the Verdigris and Flame, that was a fun read.
>>
>>48724624

You know how in 2e there was a presentation of the Exaltation as a mindless lottery-slash-nuclear weapon instead of a divine miracle?

That's ES' take on the whole setting. Very magitech/sci-fi heavy, transhumanism, armies of mass-enlightened mortal thaumaturgist-sorcerers, etc. My comparison would be Methods of Rationality: Exalted Edition.
>>
>>48724658
For those unaware of it, Meth of Rationality is a fanfic where Eliezer Yudkowsky, transhumanist AI researcher and massive sperglord, downloads himself into Harry Potter's body and proceeds to pontificate about SCIENCE! and the moral obligation of open borders and the impossibility of centaur divination and the gaping plotholes in the first Harry Potter book written for eleven-year-olds and whatever the fuck else strikes his fancy, before taking over the world in the course of the first book.

Some people have called it a shit sandwich, but I think it's really quite good, and a better analogy might be a gravel sandwich. You can easily pick out the gravel (which in this analogy is the bullshit monologues) without it staining your metaphorical sandwich, and enjoy the insight porn and the plots-within-plots-within-plots and time travel shenanigans.
>>
>>48724658
>>48724749
That's the "worst fanfic ever" thing right?
>>
>>48724786
No, that's My Immortal.
>>
>>48724786
Think of it like a mix of Atlas Shrugged and Harry Potter so it could be the 'worst fanfic ever' there are probably worse ones out there.
>>
>>48724799
That's the one
>>
>>48724749
Yeah, that basically sums up how I feel about it. I don't regret having read it, but I also don't care enough to keep up with it. It's an interesting premise that just tries to do to much to quickly.
>>
>>48724658

Actually, I really like the notion of "Exaltation as a mindless lottery-slash-nuclear weapon instead of a divine miracle".
Helps reinforce the setting as a rather grim and cynical one - despite all it's wonders and potential heroism. In the end, sheer magnificent power is the only thing that matters, if you want to change the world to your whims - and that power often fall into the hands of those, who only dubiously deserve it. Or perhaps, don't at all. A thousand potential heroes, disappearing unknown and unmourned, only for one random chap to inherit the impossible world-shaking potential.
Exalted, the glorious champions of the gods, dying in droves against the Primordials, drowning them in human waves - and then, victorious, given heavenly Mandate of Rulership, just because Incarnae could not be assed to guide the mortal world.

But magitech and sci-fi... Never thought those to be good ideas or aesthetic for Exalted.
>>
>>48725358
Mindless lotter is in no way required to have all that. It's not actually possible to accurately and objectively rank all the people in the world according to their "worthiness", "potential" or other such vague quality, and it's not necessarily the case that there is an Exaltation for everyone who is, one way or another, deserving. Even if Exaltation only goes to thr worthy, it doesn't necessarily go to everyone who is worthy, and it's not clear that the extraordinary individuals who Exalt are more worthy than the extraordinary individuals who don't.
>>
>>48725545
>and it's not clear that the extraordinary individuals who Exalt are more worthy than the extraordinary individuals who don't.
Dunno about Terrestrials, but Celestial Exalts almost certainly aren't.

Remember there's only a few hundred Celestial Exaltations going around, and the Lunar ones are locked down pretty hard with all the elders they have. Getting a Solar Exaltation is a matter of *massive* luck - you have to not only do something extraordinary, you have to coincidentally do something extraordinary while an Exaltation is 1) currently un-hosted, and 2) looking in your general direction.

Any time someone does something extraordinary while all Celestial Exaltations are embodied, that someone has no chance of exalting. None. Zero. And that's the great majority of people doing something extraordinary. Celestials are picked from among the worthy who meet some minimum threshold, but worth is like the old joke that if you're one in a million, there are a thousand Chinese just like you - and there aren't enough Exaltations to go around. Exaltations look for whoever is best-right-now, not best-overall.
>>
>>48724488
>Revlid is like exalted developers would be if they had good mechanics but still poor PR, poor ability to handle criticism, and poor ability to kill their darlings. Am I damning with faint praise here?
He seems nice enough to me. I've never seen anything even close to equivalent to "if you take advantage of BP/XP it's equivalent to physically beating your opponent in a volleyball match" Morke or "we're not in the habit of giving people bad rules they think they want" Holden.
>>
>>48726377
>He seems nice enough to me.

He threw a bitchfit and ranted about "Naruto garbage" when he saw that the devs were thinking about bloodline-specific Charms for DBs.
>>
>>48724749
Man, I actually liked that thing at first, but the author's attitude seeped into it enough to put me off of reading more than a dozen chapters. I would have liked it a whole lot more if it took itself less seriously.
>>
>>48726419
I don't remember him saying that, and I read through every post in SV and SB Exalted thread (outside of skimming a ninety page argument between Jon Chung and Vicky) a couple months back. Do you have a link?
>>
>>48726457

It was in the Exalted IRC, if I'm not mistaken. I'll look in my logs.
>>
>>48726419
I kind of like the idea but more in that these Charms were specifically developed by that bloodline and kept in-house so to speak. Not sure what should make it so that others aren't able to copy them or at least have a harder time doing so though.
>>
>>48726419
Get this: he was right.
>>
>>48726759
Spergfits are never right.

If you're going to rage about DBs because Naruto exists, you may as well stop playing Exalted entirely because Fate/Stay Night exists.
>>
>>48726803
It's not raging about DBs because Naruto exists, it's raging against the anti-thematic and stupid idea of bloodline Charms, which are even dumber because in 3e Charms do not exist as discrete things in universe.
>>
>>48727174
>Families cannot be better than other families at things.
>>
>>48727214
You're right, that's exactly what I'm saying.
>>
>>48727249
In a fantasy world
with magical creatures
who are different from each other
one might say "better" than others at stuff
>>
>>48727291
Bloodline magic is poisonous design since either a) it reifies the various houses of the Realm (i.e. they are truly tied into the 'bloodline' of such-and-such a family), or b) creates an Eclipse-type problem where everybody desperately tries to grab both Mnemon and Tepet Charms to combo.

Not to mention the fact that it's like a less-awful version of Breeding, where you're mechanically punished for not picking out certain options at chargen.

It is also, additionally, stupid Naruto garbage.
>>
>>48726515
We have a irc for Exalted?
Server and channel name?
>>
>>48727440
We don't, the main fanbase does. Sorcery, #exalted.
>>
>>48727388

Now, see, if Revlid had actually said any of this, I wouldn't be making fun of him for sperging out.

This is why spergfits are always wrong: 99 times out of 100, you never actually make a defensible point, even if you're ultimately correct in some way.
>>
>>48727174
>which are even dumber because in 3e Charms do not exist as discrete things in universe.

I was going to disagree with you, but then I read this part and remember, yeah, you're right.

All Charms are is taking Essence and channeling Essence while trying to undertake a type of action.

If members of House Ragara have specific Charms that nobody else can replicate, then that undermines the entire concept of "Charms as unique things."

Anybody should be able to replicate House Ragara's "unique Charm" if they try spending Essence while taking the same sort of action.
>>
>>48727614
Including Solars?
>>
>>48727630
Especially solars!
>>
>>48727614
3e Solar charms don't exist as discrete things; they are simply the solar channeling their essence into their own excellence and the desired result occurring

MA charms definitely do exist as discrete things, so there's nothing to say DB ones won't since they are not as instinctive as Solar perfection, they are how the DB expresses learned aspects of the dragon's power
>>
>>48692288
>>48697296

Where could an interested viewer find such images?
>>
>>48727700
XXXalted: Scroll of Swallowed Darkness

Minor 2e supplement based around exalt's desie and ability to bang everyone and everything.

Surprisingly strong mechanics for what was a joke product, refluffed a lot of the stuff in it is usable in normal games
>>
>>48727700
>>48727722

It's a very short one though, there is no "full version".

There is also some additional NSFW art by the most prominent Exalted artist, Melissa Uran, floating around. Seriously, if a person can draw at all, they will draw porn.
>>
File: 182mlnk6xqi3fjpg.jpg (85KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
182mlnk6xqi3fjpg.jpg
85KB, 640x360px
>>48727722
>ability to bang everyone and everything
>>
>>48728588

The Exalts are superhuman at everything. From combat to craftsmanship, letter writing to oratory, and from larceny to horse riding. It makes sense that they'd be capable of superhuman sex. Ever hear the story on these threads about the Solar who fucked a volcano only to cause an eruption which killed thousands? It's in the same supplement.
>>
>>48728733
I really love the implication in the text that there wasn't a volcano till he fucked the mountain.
>>
>>48727458

Sup/tg/ has its Exalted channel as well.

irc.thisisnotatrueending.com at #Exalted . Could be off though.
>>
>>48727614

See I actually *do* like the idea of doing something like CnC Generals or CnC3: Kane's Wrath did with subfactions. A subfaction has a bunch of cool bonuses in one area but sucks in another.

The only problem is this makes balancing a nightmare.
>>
Has anybody actually bought Evocations for their artifacts? If so, what Evocations, when did you use them, etc.

In my experience, it seems like they're competing with Solar Charms, and you often get them well after you've hit the "I am an angel of death" point and don't need to buy whatever Evocations your daiklave has available. They just rarely seem worth buying, because either you can go deeper in Melee (for example) or you can expand your horizons by buying Charms out of other abilities, and spending xp to kill people better in a weird but cool way is rarely worth it at that point.
>>
>>48729410

My Zenith was always buying up his Volcano Cutter; never really felt like I was missing out on anything. (Granted, we did houserule that Grand Eruption can be paid for by non-Cutter motes, because that is just way too restrictive.)
>>
>>48729410

They have their niche. Volcano Cutter, for example works well if you've got a Multi-Attack build for Melee. It gives power area lock-downs and the ability to do large amounts of damage with a few charms instead of having to buy up another tree. The ability to wipe out an entire city block also helps. Evocations also serve well for Martial Artists who want to spend real XP on other charms. They may be otherwise constrained by a form weapon and Evocations allow them to build upon their combat prowess using only Solar XP. Evocations definitely should be a primary focus for your character, but they should be able to work in tandem and in concert with what you have. It also prevents all Artefacts from being all the same like in 2e.
>>
>>48729607
>>48729637
Yeah but you can't get Volcano Cutter in any reasonable amount of time IC until you're pretty far along and deep in other stuff. It takes two years minimum to make an Art 5 and your Twilight Buddy has to be able to average like 20+ sux per roll to make it.

I mean, I guess if you buy Volcano Cutter at chargen you can get Evocations for it but I was thinking more stuff you find/have forged/etc in play.
>>
Where would I go for some good Abyssal homebrew and alternate takes on them? Also movies, books, rpgs, and the like to mine ideas from would be appreciated.
>>
>>48729728

>It takes two years minimum to make an Art 5 and your Twilight Buddy has to be able to average like 20+ sux per roll to make it.

At chargen a crafter can slam out an artefact in a few weeks and average ~100 successes.
>>
>>48729832
>Artifact •• items require at least six weeks of work, Artifact ••• items require three months, Artifact •••• items require one year, and Artifact ••••• items require a bare minimum of two years of labor before the character can attempt their completion.
>>
Exalted? fuck this shit. Friends tried to get me into this convoluted pile and i didn't feel like pouring through the usb of 400 different goddamn books i was given.
>>
>>48729874

>The Exalt’s hands flow with the Essence of a thousand craftsmen; her urge is legion and her well is bottomless. When she creates a superior or legendary slot, she may use this Charm to greatly speed her efforts to begin the project. This may be represented as the Exalt thinking, planning, and working with impossible speed. Though it cannot dictate the speed at which she gathers materials or performs tasks not directly associated with Craft, this Charm guarantees that given all such materials are provided, and all such tasks have been completed, the design and forging work that comes before she can roll to finish takes no longer than (6 - Essence) months for N/A and five dot Artifacts, and no more than (6 - Essence) weeks for all else.
>>
>>48729943
Okay, then a chargen Solar can do it in five months rather than two years.

That's still a huge chunk of downtime.
>>
>>48729936
ok
>>
>>48729936
The lore is interesting, if pretty rough, but I'd suggest just using one of the full system conversions or converting it to another system yourself if you want to play.
>>
>>48729965

Not really, if a Solar can gather the necessary amount of successes, the project immediately ends, and if the artefact is not rated at N/A, then it still only takes a few weeks. All that matters is resources, and since money is Jade, and gold can be turned into Orichalcum, you just need to insist on getting paid for your work.
>>
>>48730038
You are misreading the charm. It allows the solar to complete the project no less than 6-essence months after they gather all the necessary materials. It does not automatically allow you to complete the project when you have the necessary materials, ignoring time.
>>
>>48730279

>this Charm guarantees that given all such materials are provided, and all such tasks have been completed, the design and forging work that comes before she can roll to finish takes no longer than (6 - Essence) months
for N/A and five dot Artifacts, and no more than (6 - Essence) weeks for all else.

>Additionally, for every unused interval
remaining in the project, the character gains (Artifact’s rating x 2) gold points. Thus, if a character successfully made an Artifact ••• suit of jade armor in only three rolls, she would gain 5 white points and 18 gold points.

I'm fairly certain that these two things point to the artefact being done as soon as you reach the amount of successes needed to craft it.
>>
>>48730372
You don't get to roll to craft it until the requisite time has passed. From that point on, you may roll whenever you have the free craft points, with no time in between rolls.

>As such, artifacts require a minimum time spent laboring over their construction before a character can attempt to finish them. Artifact •• items require at least six weeks of work, Artifact ••• items require three months, Artifact •••• items require one year, and Artifact ••••• items require a bare minimum of two years of labor before the character can attempt their completion. These times assume the character is spending several hours each day actively working on the artifact—if the character takes a month off from work on an Artifact 4 daiklave, then the minimum time before she can attempt to complete it increases by a month. In practice, it often takes much longer than the minimum allotted time to complete an artifact.

>Once the character is ready to try to finish the project, she must spend 10 gold points and roll (Attribute + [Lower of Craft (Artifact) or the highest-rated most appropriate mundane Craft skill she possesses]). Unlike basic and major projects, finishing a superior project is an extended roll. This roll is difficulty 5, has a terminus of 6, and a goal number depending on the artifact’s rating: 30 for Artifact 2, 50 for Artifact 3, 75 for Artifact 4, and 100 for Artifact 5. The roll has no set interval; each time the character pays 10 gold points to attempt to complete the project, she can roll once, and may attempt her next roll once she can pay another 10 gold points to try again.
>>
>>48729965

Depends on your campaign; ours has been running for 4 years of in-game time. We don't think it makes sense for Solars to be operating at the level they do in actual play for extended periods of time - there's a threat, the Circle comes together to deal with it, then they go back to their regular lives until the next thing emerges. So we regularly have 3 - 6 months of downtime between stories.

If you plan on doing anything regarding the collapse of the Realm in your stories, you need to work on the scale of years if you want to be anything like realistic. Wars fought over the collpase of world-spanning empires don't resolve in a couple of months.
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.