[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In most fantasy settings, the lore is that it was zapped into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1380136245504.jpg (999KB, 1360x880px) Image search: [Google]
1380136245504.jpg
999KB, 1360x880px
In most fantasy settings, the lore is that it was zapped into existence by some deity or a number of deities. Usually at most a few hundred thousand years prior to whenever the main story takes place.

This would help explain why they are always at a pre-industrial level of technology, a world that lacks the long biological history of earth would also lack fossil fuels.

But how much could a society advance without easy energy from coal or oil, assuming magic isn't common and practical enough to replace it? What substitutes are there and how efficient are they? Could there be something like an industrial revolution using wood fueled fires?
>>
I don't think so. Without massive amounts of coal or coke, you'll never mass-produce steel. That means no steam engines or the heavy industry that goes with, like trains or steel ship hulls. Wood just doesn't burn hot enough.
>>
>>48678605
What about some deranged volcanic/geothermal type setup for steel production? Only reliant on wood for fueling moving engines (which I know was a thing, from having seen enough steam tractors).
>>
>>48678846
You still need a source of carbon to make the steel.
>>
>>48678877
charcoal.
>>
>>48678202

Wind power? Assuming steam engines never become powerful enough to pull vessels, they'd still help for smaller things like steam donkeys.
>>
>>48678202
the gods made a clusterfuck world full of totally complex and incompatible stuff (that maintains stability), but can't make coal or oil
>>
OP, did you know that the Earth is only about six thousand years old?
>>
>>48678202
Wouldn't batteries still be able to function? Volta did his original with lemons, didn't he?

I guess we'd be able to get to about the 17th century + low key electricity. We'd somehow need to get to high level electricity without oil or coal, which'd be impossible. Coal and nuclear energy require coal and uranium/thorium respectively, and wind/water/solar energy aren't viable even today.
>>
>>48678605
pure steel asteroids
>>
>>48678202
>This would help explain why they are always at a pre-industrial level of technology, a world that lacks the long biological history of earth would also lack fossil fuels.
>a world that lacks the long biological history of earth would also lack fossil fuels.

You're assuming an awful lot there.
>>
>>48678605
Charcoal was only replaced by coke due to cost-efficiency. If you have a lot of forests and an economy that can shoulder the strain you can run a steel industry just fine. In fact, if you know how to make use of biodiesel and ethanol, you can get pretty far without having access to fossil fuels.

Dearth of general petrochemical nusproducts is going to be a huge issue, though. You'll want for all sorts of plastics, you can forget about developing airplanes, and you'll wait for quite a while before someone figure out how to make a diesel ic engine.
>>
>>48678202
Well, the lower planes have eternal fire. The demons will be more than happy to provide you with fuel, in exchange for a few souls.
It might also explain why fantasy societies never advance past the high middle ages. Gunpowder comes from the devil and all alchemists are publicaly iced.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.