[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommendations on Board Game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Descent.jpg (450KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Descent.jpg
450KB, 600x600px
Guys want to buy a new board game.
Considering between - Eldritch Horror and Descent : Journeys In The Dark 2nd ed.
Which one do you recommend ? Both ain't an option .
>>
>>48668835
Do you want a co-co-op or a 1vAll?
That's really the biggest question here.
>>
>>48669152
Both interest both me and my company of friends with whom i'm gonna play. Main question i guess is - which of those games gives more for the buck.
>>
>>48668835

Imperial Assault has an app coming out maybe this year or early next year.

Mansions of Madness 2e/IA > EH/D2e
>>
>>48668835
>Dominion
Pretty fun, until you learn the built-in meta and it becomes awful. The expansions increase the lifespan a bit though
>Baron or something
So you are either merchants or a baron, and the merchants have to fence illegal goods by hiding them/bribing the baron, while the baron has to not lose all his reputation and go bankrupt from bothering the merchants. It's an insane game because it relies on all the players lying with poker faces.
>That space empire game
Can't remember this name either, but each session takes like 12-14 hours. It's pretty fun if you have the time.
>>
>>48668835
I got Descent, i'd go with Eldritch Horror. I have Arkham Horror and that's a bitch to set up, let alone play, but EH should be more streamlined and accessible making it more fun and interesting. I say this, mainly because im a eldritch mythos fan, though i like Descent but the Overlord vs Heroes (1 v all) mechanic gets boring fast. It doesn't take long before someone gets sick of playing the bad guy (not a lot of variety, no rewards, unless you're a sociopath and relish fucking with people). Also Descent has a "Story" which means you'll be playing pre-set missions. It has a lot of minis though, that's why i took it over anything else. (hobby is painting them).
>>
>>48669370
Mansions of Madness is like a combo between Descent and EH. I regret not buying it before. I might do it later.
>>
>>48669399
>space empire game
Twilight Imperium?
>>
File: 1460959339657.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460959339657.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
>>48669535
I assume that's what he meant, but if that's taking 12 hours, you're playing with people with brain damage.
>>
>>48669399
>Baron or something
>So you are either merchants or a baron, and the merchants have to fence illegal goods...

I think you mean Sheriff of Nottingham. I found it a bit too casual; more of a game for playing when a little drunk or with kids than serious nerd business.

Out of Eldritch Horror and Descent, I would say EH is the better game but it always seems to take ages to play with my group. We usually split it into two days of play. Descent is more convenient, but generally less interesting.

Some other games you might want to consider:

Mansions of Madness is similar to Decent, but I think it is a little better, especially with the Call of the Wild expansion.

Zombicide is another similar game, but fully co-op and a bit more repetitive. The Black Plague version has a more fantasy feel and I think it's a little better overall.

Pandemic is a classic co-op game and is pretty awesome, but a lot more abstract than the ones mentioned so far.

Time Stories is actually the most interesting co-op game I've played. The puzzle element is very interesting.

If you fancy something a bit odd, you could go for Mysterium. Basically, you have to communicate through the use of cards with surreal illustrations on them.
>>
>>48668835
>Eldritch Horror
Amazing game, with lots of good expansions to buy into if you've got the cash. The rules are pretty easy to pick up on your first time playing, but there can be some serious number crunching by the endgame since they technically do not limit you on how many items you can acquire throughout the campaign. Almost all of the Ancient Ones will have you struggling by the midgame and they'll give you a good sense of dread if you're the kind of person who can think two steps ahead (which is what they intend their target audience to be with a game that's basically one big love letter to H.P.). The only real downside to EH is that an average game for my group takes 5-7 hours to complete and that's more than some of them are willing to spend playing a boardgame that we've played so many times before. A player can't easily walk away from EH either because the game is functionally different based on how many people are involved, thus, if someone needs to leave you'll have to take over for them which only adds to the soul crushing amount of dice you'll be rolling every turn.

>Descent
Personally, I find this game a lot of fun. I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind losing. I'm also frequently the person taking one for the team and being the odd man out playing as the monsters. The game is inherently competitive by the nature of the rules, so if you have even one person in your group who can't handle a little banter or being 'picked on' by a few irritated baddies in a dungeon, then don't buy it. Also, it's worth noting that Star Wars: Imperial Assault is simply a reskinned version of Descent so if your group likes stormtroopers and jedi more than monsters and paladins then you're in luck.
>>
>>48669370
Imperial Assault gets an app? Where did you get the information? I would love that app.
Fantasy Flight doesnt have a license for digital Star Wars stuff. Its expensive as fuck.

>>48668835
Descent + Road to Legend is very good. No need for game masters anymore. Also its very challanging.
>>
Descent has an app that will handle overlords duties.

Just announced on Friday along with the next big box expansion featuring Jabba's Palace, was a slide from FF presentation stating they are working on an IA app. no ETA given, but many people are excited to have confirmation, myself includes.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.